Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vaos
Dec 30, 2008

Unleash the fiery Armageddon.

Tanith posted:

Not available in your country due to copyright restrictions :(

I got the same issue. Use something like that to download the video in order to see it, it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant

Namarrgon posted:

ET Rage

This is beautiful man, well done.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The most fun I think I've ever had on Team Fortress 2 was when I managed to join the third team, Unassigned. It only works on certain maps and then only on servers that have no respawn time. It has to be pretty much completely instantaneous -- if it lingers long enough to start following another one of your teammates, it's too long a delay. Even then, I think it's mostly fixed by now, and I've only ever found one server that it worked on. It was so goddamn fun though that I would host my own server just to be able to do it again.

When you play on Team 3, you can attack and kill ANY player on any team. Also, you look to them like you are their team's color, so they generally won't attack you. This makes for some very confusing moments, especially because the players are so ingrained in the "you're either with us or against us" mentality.
Further bonuses included:
* No sentries target you. This allows you to beat a sentry to death with your melee weapon while the engineer looks on, confused. By the time he realizes what is happening, it's too late.
* Pyro flames will not hurt you. At the least, one side's flames won't. The other team might. A confused, panicking pyro fighting at close range with no flamethrower is hilarious. It also means they'll take longer to notice you since it invalidates the main spychecking asset Pyros have.
* Downsides are that your pyro flames are only half-effective, as are your sentries. Being able to build a sentry that attacks ANYONE would've been gold.

I can't even describe how much fun it is to jump up onto a 2Fort battlement, kill a scout that's coming in over the bridge while all the snipers look on, and then start killing them in their utter confusion as soon as they drop their guard. They'll see you kill the scout, so they'll go "oh, he's on our team". Then you hit them in the face with your bat and they freak out and cannot reconcile what is going on.

My favorite quote of all when I first started:
"Hey, that spy's cheating, he's shooting!"
"Also how is a spy using a scatter gun??"

Goddamn I wish I hadn't been banned after just an hour or so. Or I wish I could find a server this still worked on.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8132547.stm
Billions stolen in online robbery

Space trading game Eve Online has suffered a virtual version of the credit crunch.

Excerpts!

quote:

"Basically this character was one of the people who had been running EBank for a while. He took a bunch of (virtual) money out of the bank, and traded it away for real money," Ned Coker, of Icelandic company CCP which runs Eve, told the Reuters news agency.

Eve Online has about 300,000 players all of whom inhabit the same online universe. The game revolves around trade, mining asteroids and the efforts of different player-controlled corporations to take control of swathes of virtual space.

It has now emerged that Ricdic used the cash to put down a deposit on a house and to pay medical bills.

"I'm not proud of it at all, that's why I didn't brag about it," Ricdic told Reuters. "But you know, if I had to do it again, I probably would've chosen the same path based on the same situation."

£3,115 worth of Eve money. That's impressive.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tanith posted:

Space trading game Eve Online has suffered a virtual version of the credit crunch.

Excerpts!

I've never understood the point of banks in EVE, can someone enlighten me?

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.

Drox posted:

I've never understood the point of banks in EVE, can someone enlighten me?

Morons give some dude money based on the promise that they'll earn interest. The dude/bank then invests the money in other ventures that may or may not pan out or runs out with the cash.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Marx posted:

Morons give some dude money based on the promise that they'll earn interest. The dude/bank then invests the money in other ventures that may or may not pan out or runs out with the cash.

So it's like a real bank with none of the security. Thanks.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Drox posted:

So it's like a real bank with none of the security. Thanks.

pretty much, yeah. EVE pubbies tend to be pretty dumb.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

TimNeilson posted:

pretty much, yeah. EVE pubbies tend to be pretty dumb.

Someone should take it to the next level and set up a free-market FDIC that "insures" banking deposits through the banks. Take a percentage from the banks in return for "insurance of deposits" (and a peek at what they're investing the money in, for "certification" of course.)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Vib Rib posted:

The most fun I think I've ever had on Team Fortress 2 was when I managed to join the third team, Unassigned. It only works on certain maps and then only on servers that have no respawn time. It has to be pretty much completely instantaneous -- if it lingers long enough to start following another one of your teammates, it's too long a delay. Even then, I think it's mostly fixed by now, and I've only ever found one server that it worked on. It was so goddamn fun though that I would host my own server just to be able to do it again.

When you play on Team 3, you can attack and kill ANY player on any team. Also, you look to them like you are their team's color, so they generally won't attack you. This makes for some very confusing moments, especially because the players are so ingrained in the "you're either with us or against us" mentality.
Further bonuses included:
* No sentries target you. This allows you to beat a sentry to death with your melee weapon while the engineer looks on, confused. By the time he realizes what is happening, it's too late.
* Pyro flames will not hurt you. At the least, one side's flames won't. The other team might. A confused, panicking pyro fighting at close range with no flamethrower is hilarious. It also means they'll take longer to notice you since it invalidates the main spychecking asset Pyros have.
* Downsides are that your pyro flames are only half-effective, as are your sentries. Being able to build a sentry that attacks ANYONE would've been gold.

I can't even describe how much fun it is to jump up onto a 2Fort battlement, kill a scout that's coming in over the bridge while all the snipers look on, and then start killing them in their utter confusion as soon as they drop their guard. They'll see you kill the scout, so they'll go "oh, he's on our team". Then you hit them in the face with your bat and they freak out and cannot reconcile what is going on.

My favorite quote of all when I first started:
"Hey, that spy's cheating, he's shooting!"
"Also how is a spy using a scatter gun??"

Goddamn I wish I hadn't been banned after just an hour or so. Or I wish I could find a server this still worked on.

How exactly do you manage this? Hit m to teamchange between the end of the killcam and the beginning of the team follow?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

chairface posted:

Someone should take it to the next level and set up a free-market FDIC that "insures" banking deposits through the banks. Take a percentage from the banks in return for "insurance of deposits" (and a peek at what they're investing the money in, for "certification" of course.)

Then the insuring corporation can sell off the rights to collect insurance payments to other corporations in exchange for a lump sum. Those corps can, in turn, chop them up and resell the smaller pieces to other corporations which will be invested in by the banks so they can cover their interest payments.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well the reason that these things keep happening is because the market isn't free enough. Deregulate empire!

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!
A question for those not in the know. What is stopping people from just keeping all of their own money on them instead of trusting it to some random dude?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jzmisgoo posted:

A question for those not in the know. What is stopping people from just keeping all of their own money on them instead of trusting it to some random dude?

Greed? In terms of earning interest I mean

Do you lose $$$ if you die? Like how some RPGs penalize experience when you do?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Jzmisgoo posted:

What is stopping people from just keeping all of their own money on them instead of trusting it to some random dude?
Nothing. That's part of why it's so incredibly dumb that people fall for it. While you lose the ship you're flying it gets blown up and your cybernetic implants if your escape pod is destroyed, the only monetary penalty for dying is that you need to buy new stuff to replace what you lost.

TimNeilson
Dec 21, 2008

Hahaha!

Jzmisgoo posted:

absolutely nothing. they're just idiots.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
Most of the bank scams work by getting people to test the water with a tiny amount, giving them back a larger amount later that you "earned" from investments.
Most of the time they reinvest that and more, it continues like this until you have people investing nearly everything they have then you run.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Delamore posted:

Most of the bank scams work by getting people to test the water with a tiny amount, giving them back a larger amount later that you "earned" from investments.
Most of the time they reinvest that and more, it continues like this until you have people investing nearly everything they have then you run.

Ponzi Schemes - exactly as effective in games as in real life!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Delamore posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish I had the time to play EVE because god drat this sounds hilarious

I don't care how much of my life it'd suck away, it'd be worth it in the end for the "You, sir, have tarnished the honor of" neckbeardy rage

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I prefer the version of the article running in The Age.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
The founder and president of the first EVE bank did this as well when he decided to quit EVE. He sold it all for real-world cash through timecards then quit EVE, I thought people would have figured out that trusting strangers with their fake money was a bad idea but I guess I was wrong! CCP does not reimburse scams, they encourage them!

What really gets me is, when the EVE stock market first took off and people were buying stock in ISS (Interstellar Starbase Syndicate) like it was Microsoft before they went big, there were actual real-world investors who had nothing to do with EVE who heard about it and wanted to know if they could get a piece without paying to play the game. Really. The ISS stock went gold for a while, a bunch of other stocks came out, pretty soon the scams came and a lot of idiots lost their money before people wised up.

ISS was honest though, they were like a real corporation. They hosed over their employees, who they paid to protect them but required them to be full-time protection and did not allow them to use any of the resources they protected. I remember ISS had the first outpost in EVE, among other things, they seemed really big for a time. Then goonfleet found out that ISS was paying off a neighboring hostile alliance, LV (Lotka Voltera), in order to not become targets in any territorial aggression. It was a strictly political thing where they remained hostile but the big bosses agreed they wouldn't start any formal wars as long as ISS paid them off.

ISS lasted something silly like 2 weeks before crumbling to goonfleet, no idea what happened to all the 'investors' when the alliance suddenly disappeared. God I loved playing EVE.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
New favourite: Make a Left 4 Dead lobby and start playing Thriller over voice chat. Refuse to start searching for a server until the song ends. Bonus points if you take the audio from the full music video.

Another one I haven't tested much is to run and hide as soon as your team gets close enough to a Witch to trigger the crying / character chatter. Run as far back / into the safe room as possible and cower in a corner. Refuse to come out until the Witch is dead. If you can jump off something tall in your panic, even better.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
How are you playing music from the lobby? I can't do that with either HLSS or HLDJ. And whatever happened to your bro wajack!, he just disappeared from the forums.

My favorite grief in L4D at the moment is joining expert games, waiting until we are halfway through the level, then calling a votekick on myself through the console. If they vote yes, I teamkill them all. Since I already voted yes on myself, and the ones that don't vote yes tend abstain from voting at all, it's usually yes. If they actually vote no I will say I'm not wanted and leave peacefully.

Griefing random strangers is fun but giving them an opportunity to be a douche so you have a proper reason to grief them is much better.

'callvote kick [playerid]' in console if you were wondering.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Sanctum posted:

How are you playing music from the lobby? I can't do that with either HLSS or HLDJ. And whatever happened to your bro wajack!, he just disappeared from the forums.
Make Thriller your background movie and hold your mic up to the speakers.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Shumagorath posted:

Make Thriller your background movie and hold your mic up to the speakers.

The sound quality must be amazing.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Buy stereo=> mono cable.
Play Thriller on mp3 player.
Plug mp3 player into microphone port.
Put it all aside and play normally.

Booga
Aug 20, 2007

ah gently caress ^^
Buy a male to male 3.5 mm jack and plug your mp3 player into audio-in.

Booga fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 4, 2009

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
I found a trash can full of those cables at my school one time. Now I use them to spam game boy sounds whenever I think about it. Though, most people tend to like those more than hate those so I guess I'm not very good at griefing.

Giganticus
Oct 15, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

unassigned
There's currently an unassigned glitch in TF2 for griefing.

Pick up the intel on a CTF map, type "jointeam unassigned" in console. Congrats, you are now a spectator with the intelligence!

Feel free to place yourself somewhere just out of reach behind a noclip line so your team valiantly attempts to rocket jump or sticky jump to it, or hide in plain sight slowly rotating and then suddenly fly up into the air as someone gets close. Of course overtime will never end like this so with 2 people you can doom a server to 2fort forever.

Alternatively you can spectate people, and if you do this in first person it will look like the person you're spectating has the intelligence so his team will all shout at him.

And lastly if you just want to end 2fort really fast, grab the intel, hit the bind very quickly, then fly over to your team's capture point and press l next to it so you drop the intelligence in a very easy to capture point for your team.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tanith posted:

Excerpts!

There was a really funny story similar to this I read a few years ago about a guy who ripped off tons of money from Eve players. I remember he gave some guy a library telephone number and stuff, anyone know it?

Rob Rockley
Feb 23, 2009

Evan Montegarde posted:

There was a really funny story similar to this I read a few years ago about a guy who ripped off tons of money from Eve players. I remember he gave some guy a library telephone number and stuff, anyone know it?

That story was actually fake, so I hear. I'll look for it though. Edit: Here it is.

Rob Rockley fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 4, 2009

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff

Evan Montegarde posted:

http://www.wirm.net/nightfreeze/part1.html

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Evan Montegarde posted:

That was posted in this thread early on, I remember that.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Giganticus posted:

Pick up the intel on a CTF map, type "jointeam unassigned" in console. Congrats, you are now a spectator with the intelligence!

Feel free to place yourself somewhere just out of reach behind a noclip line so your team valiantly attempts to rocket jump or sticky jump to it, or hide in plain sight slowly rotating and then suddenly fly up into the air as someone gets close. Of course overtime will never end like this so with 2 people you can doom a server to 2fort forever.

Alternatively you can spectate people, and if you do this in first person it will look like the person you're spectating has the intelligence so his team will all shout at him.

And lastly if you just want to end 2fort really fast, grab the intel, hit the bind very quickly, then fly over to your team's capture point and press l next to it so you drop the intelligence in a very easy to capture point for your team.

I did this immediately after reading it. This is amazing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trainmonk posted:

I did this immediately after reading it. This is amazing.

Same here, but we can't go overboard with it or people will catch on fast and it'll lost its appeal.
I took some videos (I recommend others do as well if they try it). Can someone recommend a good method of chopping up the demo files into an editable format? They didn't talk much but their reactions were priceless, running after me, chasing me.
Interestingly, pyros can airblast you.

It's also sort of disappointing you can't see yourself, but if we had a second person recording the person spectating it'd be even better.

I wish more people spoke up about what was happening, everyone just kind of followed it around and didn't chat.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

Same here, but we can't go overboard with it or people will catch on fast and it'll lost its appeal.
I took some videos (I recommend others do as well if they try it). Can someone recommend a good method of chopping up the demo files into an editable format? They didn't talk much but their reactions were priceless, running after me, chasing me.

It's also sort of disappointing you can't see yourself, but if we had a second person recording the person spectating it'd be even better.

I wish more people spoke up about what was happening, everyone just kind of followed it around and didn't chat.

They server I was on was nothing but people asking what was going on and blaming each other. I don't know how to record but man it was amazing.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
in console, just type "record [put the name you want to save it as here]"
then "stop" to stop recording

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
so how would i bind a shortcut like that in TF2? If I wanted to set it to 1 key so I could do so very quickly.

LiquidHelium
Jul 3, 2009

Giganticus posted:

A fun way to grief using this is to go to were the intel is supposed to be, then when someone comes to steal it, quickly move to somewhere they cant get to, some reactions I just got doing this were priceless.

Edit:

I Love You! posted:

so how would i bind a shortcut like that in TF2? If I wanted to set it to 1 key so I could do so very quickly.

In the console put
bind "k" "record"
This will make it so when k is pressed it will record (Just replace the key and the command to what you want). I haven't binded keys lately so I could be wrong though.

LiquidHelium fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

When you play back the recording you can just put in the thirdperson command. You'll see it all.

• Locked thread