Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

leedo posted:

I am working on an open source one right now. It is pretty functional and is incredibly responsive. I am using the multipart/mixed content-type to stream JSON in an XHR. Here is the github URL. It only works in Safari and Firefox right now, and I don't think it will ever work in IE unless I switch to polling.

Right now it will display inline images and let you play inline audio as well. But it is incredibly easy to write new filters, I just can't think of any more.

edit: here is a screenshot

If you were trying to blur the channel names, you forgot the big one at the top of the browser there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zx
Mar 13, 2006
*<|:I
Not as cool as a lot of the projects in this thread, but after finding commands like watch, tail -f and less +F didn't do what I wanted, I'm working on a little tool to watch log files in real time with colour highlighting and regular expression matching.

Here's an example of me using it to watch logs for 3 different sites for requests from my internal network, in a different colour for each log file:

Fully expecting someone to tell me this has already been done before.

illamint
Jun 26, 2005

According to The Oxford English Dictionary, the word "snapshot" was originally a hunting term.

Zx posted:

Fully expecting someone to tell me this has already been done before.
Maybe not exactly, but MultiTail is pretty close.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Here is what i've been working on lately (my own , n-th GPL project):

it's a YUM filesystem.

basically, the user mounts the filesystem (yumfs /whateverdir) , and as the first level directories the repositories are displayed. Then, the user can dive into each repository, where the directories are displayed using the packages groups, and the packages themselves.
When the user lists the contents of a package, the INFO, INSTALL,UPGRADE and REMOVE files are presented. INFO just displays the informaiton for that package, the others are executable shell scripts that just invoke YUM to install,remove or upgrade said package.

I've uploaded it to sourceforge: http://yumfs.sourceforge.net/

Developed and tested in Fedora 11, using Eclipse . code is in svn.

Still fantastically buggy. Code is ugly, as I'm primarly an OOP developer, haven't programmed in pure C in 15 years :). And mainly in Java anyway.

edit:

for whatever reason, imageshack images do not show up. Since I don't have any experience with uploading images on the net, here's the link to the sf project screenshot space:
https://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=266737&ssid=108045

Volguus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 4, 2009

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

beautiful, isn't it?

up next: figuring out why the gently caress my environment variables refuse to stick

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

Alcohol Kills posted:

beautiful, isn't it?

up next: figuring out why the gently caress my environment variables refuse to stick

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but what is it?

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

dancavallaro posted:

Forgive me if I'm being stupid, but what is it?

the contents of my first shell script

it sets the environment variables IDLESTARTUP and PYTHONSTARTUP, which are where the IDLE(a python IDE) and python shells look for scripts to run on startup, to the location of the script i want those shells to run on startup

it then sets the current directory to /home/argo/pythonlap/proj1, the location that i want IDLE to be able to see when i initialize it through this script

it then runs idle-python2.5 with the option -s, which indicates that it should look at the environment variable IDLESTARTUP for a script to run on startup

if you were mislead into believing that i was working on the text editor, that's just a crop from the gedit frame i was working in

edit: all this to convince IDLE to run a loving three-line script when i start it, ugh

it felt good to do, though

i even made a little launcher for it on my desktop, i feel like such a big boy :shobon:

Alcohol Kills fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 4, 2009

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Alcohol Kills posted:

:words:

So... are you hexadecimal's rereg?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Another IRC bot in perl, but instead of playing trivia this one tries to be a constructive helper in the #xomb channel (a channel for the XOmB OS project). It links into the wiki and the github repo and will automatically announce commits when they occur (no demo of that though because I don't have the permissions to apply commits in the main repo).

Next project is gonna be a text based IRC client with spell check. :)

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

Avenging Dentist posted:

So... are you hexadecimal's rereg?

As far as i'm aware, this is gibberish.

Am i being made fun of for being verbose in what amounts to a textbook description of what is happening in the screenshot i posted?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I am asking you if you are Something Awful Dot Com Internet Forums Poster "hexadecimal", re-registered under a new name. Because you have the same modus posterandi as he did.

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

Avenging Dentist posted:

I am asking you if you are Something Awful Dot Com Internet Forums Poster "hexadecimal", re-registered under a new name. Because you have the same modus posterandi as he did.

No I'm not.

Describe his m.p. for me, I always love a mirror.

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

Alcohol Kills posted:

blah blah blah

Ooooh, gotcha. Didn't mean for you to have to go through all that trouble explaining everything - I see what the script does. I didn't realize that the script is what you were showing us, I thought it might have been the text editor or something, as you said.

Gotta start somewhere!

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

Uh, I suppose you could say I am working on this, after a fashion...

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

dancavallaro posted:

Ooooh, gotcha. Didn't mean for you to have to go through all that trouble explaining everything - I see what the script does. I didn't realize that the script is what you were showing us, I thought it might have been the text editor or something, as you said.

Gotta start somewhere!

today i learned that surrounding the path with '' quotes allows me to use spaces in my directory names

:downs:

would you believe that i took a whole fuckin semester of unix?

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy

Alcohol Kills posted:

today i learned that surrounding the path with '' quotes allows me to use spaces in my directory names

:downs:

would you believe that i took a whole fuckin semester of unix?
Wait - you know enough python to be using an IDE but you're posting a four line bash script as "stuff you're working on"? Now I'm curious; what are you doing in idle?

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

DLCinferno posted:

Wait - you know enough python to be using an IDE but you're posting a four line bash script as "stuff you're working on"? Now I'm curious; what are you doing in idle?

At the moment I'm working on a really simple text adventure; I've got a pretty solid location(name,x,y) class that builds a rectangle of variable x and y lengths, maps each (x,y) to attributes of the class instance, and keeps descriptions, contents, and "stats" for each cell.

I've got an "entity" class in progress, planning on starting work on some persistence and maybe a Tk interface to serve as a prototype for a client this weekend.

I am nub; I've gone from C++ to Ruby to LISP to VB to Python in my search for a first language, and now that I have found something comfortable I'm attempting to self-teach myself the implementation because I loving hate learning to code in a seminar/lab format.

Soon I'll have ssh access to my webspace; I'll be unstoppable!

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Alcohol Kills posted:

At the moment I'm working on a really simple text adventure; I've got a pretty solid location(name,x,y) class that builds a rectangle of variable x and y lengths, maps each (x,y) to attributes of the class instance, and keeps descriptions, contents, and "stats" for each cell.

I've got an "entity" class in progress, planning on starting work on some persistence and maybe a Tk interface to serve as a prototype for a client this weekend.

I am nub; I've gone from C++ to Ruby to LISP to VB to Python in my search for a first language, and now that I have found something comfortable I'm attempting to self-teach myself the implementation because I loving hate learning to code in a seminar/lab format.

Soon I'll have ssh access to my webspace; I'll be unstoppable!

I'd strongly suggest your next project be installing and learning how to use django.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

I think Alcohol Kills missed the point of the thread, it's "post screenshots of the interesting side projects you've been working on lately", not "post screenshots of literally whatever you happen to be doing at this very moment".

Also, AD is probably correct in that this smells like Entheogen/Hexadecimal, who was a pretty darn good troll in that he sent me into a frothing rage on multiple occasions.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Alcohol Kills posted:

"refuse to stick" in what way? In different terminal sessions? If you want the environment variables to be persistent (available from any shell at any time) then you need to define them in your ~/.bashrc file so that they are defined in every terminal instance.

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

Dijkstracula posted:

I think Alcohol Kills missed the point of the thread, it's "post screenshots of the interesting side projects you've been working on lately", not "post screenshots of literally whatever you happen to be doing at this very moment".

Also, AD is probably correct in that this smells like Entheogen/Hexadecimal, who was a pretty darn good troll in that he sent me into a frothing rage on multiple occasions.

What kind of mongoloid gets this upset about posts in a technical forum? Get a life you baby.

Modern Pragmatist posted:

"refuse to stick" in what way? In different terminal sessions? If you want the environment variables to be persistent (available from any shell at any time) then you need to define them in your ~/.bashrc file so that they are defined in every terminal instance.

Thank you.

Alcohol Kills fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 4, 2009

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Alcohol Kills posted:

What kind of mongoloid gets this upset about posts in a technical forum? Get a life you baby.

To be fair, his (your) posts were really bad.

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks
Hey guys I just got done taking a poo poo and I think I'm gonna eat this apple now:

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot
Since I have recently discovered that newbies stepping out of line sets off the snobs around here, I have compiled a screenshot of what I whipped together this morning:

What do you guys think? The random thick lines are .gif artifacts, it looks much more professional in person.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Alcohol Kills posted:

As I said, his trolling was deceptively good. unlike yours :iceburn:

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

Dijkstracula posted:

As I said, his trolling was deceptively good. unlike yours :iceburn:

Are you implying that I've been disingenuous somehow? It seems to me that I've been pretty straightforward about talking poo poo to the good old boys club.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Alcohol Kills posted:

Are you implying that I've been disingenuous somehow? It seems to me that I've been pretty straightforward about talking poo poo to the good old boys club.

Here's something I've been working on for a while, hope you like it!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StCoClvLb4Y

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

Avenging Dentist posted:

Here's something I've been working on for a while, hope you like it!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StCoClvLb4Y

I kind of beat you to the punch, mate. U mad only works once per page, twice if you're in LF.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Alcohol Kills posted:

I kind of beat you to the punch, mate. U mad only works once per page, twice if you're in LF.

Plain text zings are for children and invalids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb4JtkVgjPw

DLCinferno
Feb 22, 2003

Happy
Hey guys I've been working on this for a few days now, one more keystroke and I'm done!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tripwire
Nov 19, 2004

ghost flow

DLCinferno posted:

Hey guys I've been working on this for a few days now, one more keystroke and I'm done!

Wow, this project is turning into a monster. How many lines of source?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I like reading this thread. Please dont let it go to poo poo. I want to see more interesting stuff.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Hrm, how about some content?

Alcohol Kills posted:

Don't be a scrub and build your text adventure as a 2D map of squares. One of the great advantages of pure text is that you can represent locations and transitions in ways that are non-trivial with traditional graphical means. Your (x, y) location rectangle mean you can only move N, E, S, W from any location to another which is, frankly, quite boring.

The pro method is to build your map as a directed graph. Each location has a list of connections to other locations. Each location is tagged with the type of movement (North, Down, Up the rear end) that will be used to follow that connection, and each of those has a list of synonyms (N, No, D, Do, rear end, Butt). You could also attach a method/callback to each instantiated connection if you need to perform verification (only board the rollercoaster if you're tall enough), update the player's inventory (decrement their bus ticket count), or whatever.

This allows incredible flexibility in designing an interesting world, and providing unconventional means of travel, shortcuts, one-way travel, rooms within rooms, endless mazes of twisty, little passages all alike, and so on.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Swink posted:

I like reading this thread. Please dont let it go to poo poo. I want to see more interesting stuff.
All right, fine, I wasn't planning on posting this until I'd had a chance to work on it a bit more, (though #cobol saw it awhile back) but I'll use it as an excuse to get this thread back on track:

I've been working on a multiuser roguelike on the weekends for the past few months, though I haven't touched the project at all in the last month or so due to other stuff creeping in.

Everything's written by me in plain old C (no external libraries used except for vanilla Unix sockets) and runs across Telnet; the ANSI graphics are negotiated by the client's terminal (handles window size changes, etc) so you only need a Telnet client to run the game. The idea was that the software requirements on the client's end would be no different than a conventional MUD. (This isn't techincally true, as I'm using 256-colour xterm mode, which doesn't work on lovely terminal emulators like Apple Terminal)

The network code and presentation layer is basically complete (a few well-placed lines can crash the client so there's definitely some hardening up that I have still to do); at the moment multiple users can connect to a test zone, wander around, and talk and emote to one another. I'm currently working on how I want the event handling and timing routines to work, since that's a huge part of the game and I don't want to start implementing anything without myself being convinced that the way I've chosen to do it makes the most sense. People always ask about game mechanics and settings, but to be honest those things actually don't interest me very much (I have no aspirations to "design" games). If I ever ran a server, though, it'd probably be a Cyberpunk setting or a Deadwood-style western setting.

Dijkstracula fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 5, 2009

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dijkstracula posted:

I'm currently working on how I want the event handling and timing routines to work, since that's a huge part of the game and I don't want to start implementing anything without myself being convinced that the way I've chosen to do it makes the most sense.

I remember reading a paragraph or two by one of the Nethack developers about why most roguelikes have no multiplayer version. The main reason being roguelikes are generally "stop and think" games, not with rapid gameplay. One option to preserve the turn-based strategy would be to have all players input their move, and once all players are input, the turn actually occurs. But that's awfully slow and prone to abuse.

It'll be interesting to see what solution you come up with. I think it'll be a challenge to make it right and still feel like a roguelike.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

ColdPie posted:

I remember reading a paragraph or two by one of the Nethack developers about why most roguelikes have no multiplayer version. The main reason being roguelikes are generally "stop and think" games, not with rapid gameplay. One option to preserve the turn-based strategy would be to have all players input their move, and once all players are input, the turn actually occurs. But that's awfully slow and prone to abuse.

It'll be interesting to see what solution you come up with. I think it'll be a challenge to make it right and still feel like a roguelike.
So perhaps calling it a "multiuser roguelike" is a bit of a misnomer, but previously I've referred to it as a "graphical MUD" and that doesn't seem to help describe it, either. But, in terms of what I'm envisioning the final product to be, the latter probably does a better job of describing it than the latter (if for no other reason than I've sunk far more hours into MUDs than roguelikes :v: ). The intention is that the pause-and-think turn-based gameplay is thrown out in favour of more what a MUD does, where a "turn" occupies a fixed number of game ticks (in CircleMUD, for instance, a tick is 1/10th of a second, but for latency reasons in this case it might have to be longer, since a full refresh of a moderately sized window can require >50kb to be sent to the client). I thought about the "move after all player input a turn" idea but drew the same conclusion as the NetHack devs.

Of course, it remains to see whether this mechanic would be any fun.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Map editor for a tile engine I've been putting together in XNA. Currently can dynamically parse tileset files, images, and save to maps readable by the engine. Long way left to go, but getting there.

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!

Walked posted:

Map editor for a tile engine I've been putting together in XNA. Currently can dynamically parse tileset files, images, and save to maps readable by the engine. Long way left to go, but getting there.

I had to do something like this for a game I was working on. I was thinking about doing it in a .NET language but realized I wanted to pass it on to my friend who was Mac only to do some levels for me. I settled on doing it in Javascript + canvas, and was finished the basic stuff within an hour.

Just curious if you considered doing your tile/level editor as a web app.

Alcohol Kills
Feb 29, 2008

by Peatpot

gently caress VB.NET, my poo poo is portable

for anyone wondering this is an application that counts how many times the button in the lower left corner is clicked. i haven't thought of what to do with the other three buttons or the canvas yet, any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks
One of the buttons should prevent you from posting in this thread :iceburn: