Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Enjoy Everything posted:

Knowledge of it is spreading like wildfire, lots of admins already know all about it. Some don't, but too many do. :smith:

Yeah, every server I've tried it on either gives me a pissy console message or dumps the intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
i joined a game and stole the intel at almost the exact moment someone did for the other team. We flew around the middle of 2fort together before changing our names to RedIntel and BlueIntel and had a very nice conversation while blocking sniper lanes.

But yeah this bug is gone within a day or so it's so prevalent now.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
EDIT:

Yeah, fairly boring poo poo. Nothing to see here.

Russian Remoulade fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 11, 2009

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

(from a page back)

This was probably the most amazing thing I've read so far. :3:

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande

VSI posted:

When I finally got it working I changed my name to "The Magical Intel Fairy" and told them that they had to eschew the cynicism of modern society and joyfully believe in the wonder of magic.

When I never actually gave the intel back, people started to get angry, so I suggested that the problem was their lack of ruby slippers.

I got banned shortly after that.

Just like the flare gun exploit, this isn't funny and isn't creative enough to be good griefing. It's just pathetic.

To pre-empt the usual replies, no I haven't been affected by this bug and that's not why I'm posting. I'm posting about it because it's just the most plebian form of griefing... pedestrian... boring... not funny.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 posted:

Just like the flare gun exploit, this isn't funny and isn't creative enough to be good griefing. It's just pathetic.

To pre-empt the usual replies, no I haven't been affected by this bug and that's not why I'm posting. I'm posting about it because it's just the most plebian form of griefing... pedestrian... boring... not funny.

You spelled "plebeian" wrong, which is funny, given the context.

To contribute, in Warcraft III often my goal is to make the other team stay in game as long as possible. Here is a game where the enemy is forced to stay in game for 27 hours to get their win.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande

fineX posted:

You spelled "plebeian" wrong, which is funny, given the context.

To contribute, in Warcraft III often my goal is to make the other team stay in game as long as possible. Here is a game where the enemy is forced to stay in game for 27 hours to get their win.

Oh well I made a typo, my point still stands.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 posted:

Oh well I made a typo, my point still stands.

What would you suggest in the line of more intelligent/thoughtful griefing?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Intel flying around, highlighting spies, and confusing the hell out of people isn't even remotely the most pedestrian form of griefing there is.
That'd probably be teamkilling. Or just getting cheap kills.

This is novel and presents something never normally seen in the game, to which people never know quite how to react. It's interesting and seeing some people flip out over it is entertaining, especially when it turns into a big witch hunt of "WHO THE gently caress IS HACKING?!".

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

fineX posted:

Could you actually tell us the story of what you did? A 27 hour chatlog is kinda tedious to read.

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up

Vodelle posted:

This was probably the most amazing thing I've read so far. :3:

Join me in Hell and together we shall quest deep into the Bone Mines of Elvendere.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 posted:

I'm such a God drat pedestrian it's not even funny.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 posted:

I don't think you get griefing.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande

STiL. posted:

I don't think you get griefing.

I don't think you understand there is a difference between good creative griefing and the "literally anybody can do this bug exploit" unfunny poo poo.

It's ok though, it's just my opinion, you'll get over it.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 posted:

I don't think you understand there is a difference between good creative griefing and the "literally anybody can do this bug exploit" unfunny poo poo.

Why didn't you answer my question?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 posted:

And what is good creative griefing

do tell

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 posted:

I thought it was pretty funny, but that's just my opinion. Hopefully you will get over it and feel the need not to get into a petty argument with me about it :)

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande

Code Jockey posted:

do tell

Read the thread for some decent examples of good creative griefing which don't involve an easy to exploit bug that anybody can do. The Belan stuff is amazing for example.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande

The Third Man posted:

I thought it was pretty funny, but that's just my opinion. Hopefully you will get over it and feel the need not to get into a petty argument with me about it :)

I don't know if I can get over it man, I just feel so .... I dunno man you've hurt me, I mean it really hurts.

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh
great story, it's almost as if you did it just so you could have something to post about.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
yeah man gently caress those guys griefing people in the griefing thread who do they think they are :rolleyes:

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh
sometimes i play dystopia and jack into cyberspace -preventing others from using the same jack-in point - and just do nothing !

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 posted:

I'm not some simple griefer. I'm a griefing mother loving artist :smug:

asylum years posted:

http://pastebin.com/f2df9fc39

276. Charlatan [to McBain]: Master McBain! I have heard rumors of your strength in the mead halls!

loving hilarious.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

fennesz posted:

I'm not some simple griefer. I'm a griefing mother loving artist :smug:

You and me baby, we're motherfucking Picassos.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 posted:

Say what you will but I'd say you're butthurt about being griefed. Get with the times.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande
Look at all the non-entities trying to take snipes at me with their tired cookie cutter posts just because I criticised their favorite hobby. If you're gonna grief, put some effort into it. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
yesss dance puppets dance!!

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
Tah! I scoff at your plebeian attempts at 'griefing'! Had you gone to university you would have learned proper and more skillful forms so as to display the art of the thing that you - YOU SIR - butcher.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 posted:

Look at all the non-entities trying to take snipes at me with their tired cookie cutter posts just because I criticised their favorite hobby. If you're gonna grief, put some effort into it. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I'd say having a couple of posts dedicated to this is perfectly acceptable. It is funny, and if you have a funny story then that is alright. Posting the same thing almost entirely is kind of boring, and everyone arguing about whether or not something is griefing is just :suicide:

There is a mod for Half-Life 2 called Age of Chivalry that I used to play on quite a bit. This game is surprisingly grief friendly in both FF-off and FF-on servers. One of my favorite things to do is to angle the catapults into the ground right in front of the catapult. When one of my teammates comes by and pulls the lever they blow themselves up. You would be surprised at how many people just want a free and easy catapult kill so they don't bother to look where it is aimed.

For those that do end up aiming the catapults, messing up where the catapult is aiming can end up with hilarious results. If he is firing at enemies when allies are particularly near even moreso. For a moment when they've pulled the lever you still have time to adjust the aim, and it is not that hard to aim it straight into your own allies. Keep in mind, these kind of people care only about their amazing 60:1 kdr, so making them lose a ton of points to teamkills will inspire some truly hilarious voice chat rage.

Certain maps can be blocked or nearly blocked so well as to guarantee a loss for your team. On a certain map Mason Order is on defense and a dedicated blocker can make it impossible to get out of spawn without losing at least 1/4 health. There are two doorways leading out, and they are so narrow you can throw a fire pot onto the ground in one door way and completely block the other.

There are a ton of things you can do, and I realize that they aren't PARTICULARLY clever, but this community is very serious business.

Rogaine Yoshi
Apr 10, 2006

by Ozma
Don't see why you're all jumping on him. It's not really funny once everyone knows about it because it really isn't griefing anymore. As soon as someone sees you join team unassigned, you're kicked and that's the end of it. It was hilarious to start with, but not so much anymore.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande
The only person to have made a worthwhile post on the matter since mine was vib rib, the rest of you are getting all riled up over nothing.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande

Rogaine Yoshi posted:

Don't see why you're all jumping on him. It's not really funny once everyone knows about it because it really isn't griefing anymore. As soon as someone sees you join team unassigned, you're kicked and that's the end of it. It was hilarious to start with, but not so much anymore.

They are all jumping on me because they are all non-entities with nothing worth saying so they jump on the nearest available bandwagon while making GBS threads out the same old poo poo posts we've all seen a million times before.

You've also explained why it's not funny much better than I did.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
The TF2 intel bug can be great to greif people under the correct circumstances. On the randomizer server, three of us were capping the intel in just under a minute on 2fort, all that was required was a player at our intel and someone using the specified bug. That way we were able to avoid playing the terrible map that is 2fort. A lot of pubbies were bitter and angry about it however the admins didn't give a poo poo.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
The TF2 flying-intel topic (and whether or not it's "griefing") is pretty loving dead, drop it.

I hate seeing a dozen new posts and none of them (including, perhaps especially Meta's) are worth reading. Christ. No one cares.

Share more awesome griefing stories now.

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh
ok heres a great griefing story for those of you that play counter strike 1.6. There's a grenade called "smoke bomb" and most servers have it banned because it spews out like a million particles and can cause crashes on lovely servers. So heres what you do; at the start of a round, buy a smoke bomb and throw it, then buy another one and throw that one, too! keep throwing until the entire map is covered in smoke and i guarentee when the smoke clears (heh) half the players will find themselves staring at a splash screen. Too bad you can't hear their wails over the mic because they're too busy crashing.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Here's a quick SS13 one to try and get this back on track:

Someone posted a pretty hilarious griefing tactic he liked to employ (forget who it was, it was posted a few weeks ago or longer).

Two things you gotta know: First, because of BYOND's laggy-rear end code, players sometimes don't pay attention when running and will often just hold down an arrow key and run 'til they bump into a wall, then change direction. Second, virtually every round involves the station going to complete poo poo in some way, resulting in the escape shuttle being called and then a mad dash for the escape shuttle arm.

In the picture below, 1 is the escape shuttle dock, and 2 is the escape shuttle hallway/arm. This guy liked to knock out the three reinforced windows (marked with dark red Xed-out boxes) at one end of the arm and watch as people flooded out the hole into space.

Green arrow is typical/intended path. Red is the actual one when this happened.

That was pretty awesome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Code Jockey posted:

do tell
How about this, from earlier in the thread?

We talked about this exact same topic at length, exactly one year ago. It boiled down to two things:
-"If it's funny to someone who never played the game, that's a fair indicator of a pretty 'Good Grief.'"
-If it's creative and mildly funny.

To wit:
One of my favorites
Shameless self-plug.
See? You don't even have to have ever played either of those games to be entertained by the stories. "Hay guyz I just went to a random server and used that thing and it totally worked ha!" is both a lame post (for this particular thread) and it perpetuates the idea that script-kiddies are griefers.

... Maybe it's just an indicator of the time of the year - Little Billy got off school for the summer and he's been playing games for a couple weeks and is back from vacation but he's bored, so he goes to youtube and types "counterstrike cheatz" and then copies it for a few nights.

As was said a year ago, "Come on guys, you can do better."

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.

Cryle posted:

ok heres a great griefing story for those of you that play counter strike 1.6. There's a grenade called "smoke bomb" and most servers have it banned because it spews out like a million particles and can cause crashes on lovely servers. So heres what you do; at the start of a round, buy a smoke bomb and throw it, then buy another one and throw that one, too! keep throwing until the entire map is covered in smoke and i guarentee when the smoke clears (heh) half the players will find themselves staring at a splash screen. Too bad you can't hear their wails over the mic because they're too busy crashing.

loving win d00d

Cryle
Jul 19, 2008

by Ozmaugh
yeah that was just some noob cs poo poo. The best griefing to be had is in dota (defense of the ancients (a warcraft 3 frozen throne mod)) heres a video of me trapping my team >:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqqdgzJVgTE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Seeing as how people are becoming more aware and more tired of it, I decided to have one last run with the intel exploit on TF2 before it's gone.
I had some fun with the standard stuff, and employed a few tactics that always seem to get a rise out of people. I sat on the desk where the intel is supposed to be, and every time the guarding engineer looked away, I'd move a few inches towards the door. He'd look back, jump at me, fire wildly, and occasionally shout hysterically at his team. Little by little the intel inched its way out towards the enemy base, and the engineer must have set up five or six new sentries along the way to protect it.
Then I flew around in the mini-skybox for a while. For those that don't know, this is the tiny cube of geometry that's projected around the level at a massive scale to make for the distant scenery+sky, and as a result, a 200-foot-tall intelligence briefcase was floating in the sky over the level. Unfortunately that one didn't quite get the reaction I'd hoped for though a few people did just gather out on the bridge and stare upwards repeating things like "HOLY GOD OUR INTEL IS HUGE".
Getting people to follow me sort of wore out its humor value, so I floated in the middle of the other team's courtyard and watched the entire team line up on the catwalk to jump out at me and try to catch me in mid-air, only to move sharply to one side as they jumped. That kept up for a few minutes without them learning any better.

But everyone, myself included, started getting bored of it. It was clear this exploit was just about out of steam. I decided to try something more novel.

So I changed my name to BLU INTEL and started talking to both teams, knowing they could only hear me when they were dead. I claimed to be the BLU Fairy and the teams immediately became divided within themselves over a conflict in people who did and did not believe in fairies. One player in particular, an engineer, defended me bravely. Of course because only dead players could hear me he'd often respond to something no one else could hear and quickly became isolated from the other teams. He wrote a long speech to me, the BLU Intel, including phrases like "Intel, I love you. I want you to know that. Even when the chips are down and the sentries are up and the whole darn world seems gray and bleak, you're always there for me. You never let us down, intel." The other players quickly distanced themselves from this madman, many of them freshly-joined and thus not understanding the situation ("who the gently caress noob admin is loving flying the intel gayass admin cheat").
This speech went on for a while.

The teams went full offense VS full defense, because only one team could make captures now. They had 0 of 3 points, the other team (who needed to capture me) had 2.
For the rest of the round, I stuck close to the engineer who had defended my honor, and people quickly turned jealous of his "pet intel". When he made runs for metal while setting up, the intel would accompany him like a faithful dog to and from the supply closet. When a spy was near, the intel would dart out to where the spy was. For some reason, when I bumped into a cloaked spy, their cloak faded, as if a normal player had bumped into them, so I could easily highlight their location. When people came in to assault the engineer's sentry, the intel would dash out at them and fly all around their heads, causing them to spin in circles firing at the perceived foe while the defense easily dispatched them. No engineer could ask for a better or more faithful assistant.

Finally, after another cycle of new and confused players ("WTF I just got attacked by the intel??"), the BLU intel briefcase slowly wandered away from the sentry nest, and the perplexed engineer (and a few others) followed. The BLU intel floated down to the RED intel room and bobbed in the air, indicating the RED intel table.
What followed was a stirring and dramatic piece, emotionally beautiful, the likes of which was never seen before or since on a TF2 server.
:clint: Intel, boy, what are you doing?
:confused: I think it wants us to capture it.
:clint: Don't do that, you'll die!
:ohdear: oh god what's happening
:clint: Intel, is this really what you want?
:confused: I think it trusts you enough.
:o: It's making a valiant sacrifice for you.
:clint: I don't know if I can do this.
:ohdear: intel i love you
[intel drops lifelessly to the ground, waiting to be picked up]
:( Do what's right, engineer.
:clint: I-I'm gonna miss him.
:ohdear: he's really gone is'nt he
:clint: He shouldn't have done that! I loved him!
:( But... now we've got the last capture. Thanks to him, we can win this.
:o: You should be the one to capture him. It's what he would want.
:clint: I don't know if I can live with the pain of knowing that once I cross this capture line, he'll be gone forever.
:ohdear: it's okay engineer
:supaburn: [screamed at max volume through the mic] loving GAY rear end FAGGOTS gently caress GOD PICK IT UP BEFORE IT TIMES OUT YOU loving FAGGOTS JESUS CHRIST SHUT UP AND CAP IT JUST loving CAP IT FAGGOTS gently caress FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

• Locked thread