Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Savington posted:

Duct tape. That's an 11 pound carbon shell hardtop, and the mountings I did weren't quite enough to keep it fully in place. Had to do a few more when I got home from that event.

No rear window helps aero, since you don't get the flow curling. The air from the side windows goes out the back, cleans up the airflow, reduces drag, and makes the wing more effective.
Hey did you have to fab up spec-miata style brackets to bolt it on or is the bolt pattern the same as an OEM top (allowing you to purchase the brackets)? I have a snugtop that i think i need to bolt down since one of my cleats broke, but I'm not entirely sure about the best way to do it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

This is my 2006.

The camouflage isn't up to spec.

Even three years after the line came out, they're still rare. I'll occasionally see another, but never in the same color. It's still unmistakable, and I appreciate that.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jul 6, 2009

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
/\/\/\/\/\/\
Love the Enkeis, but resize your pictures :P.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

DrSilverworm posted:

when you're severely multitasking

I don't think you should be severely multitasking while driving a vehicle...

Symphoric
Apr 20, 2005

Did my first major work on my Miata yesterday. I was SHOCKED at how easy it was. I swapped the radiator and all the tubing in less than an hour and I don't think I even swore once, and I usually have a mouth like a drunken sailor when I'm frustrated.

I've got a Jackson supercharger in my basement waiting to get put on. I have a feeling that won't go quite so smoothly, but I'm going to hold off until convertible season is over before I try it.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
So I have a question. Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, considering it's the Miata megathread and I may get shot, but... My friend drives a bright red Miata. Granted, it's a Mazdaspeed MX-5, and it's got some pretty serious legs, but it's also a convertible, and, I'll reiterate, bright red. He claims this doesn't make him gay and it's not a gay car... Thoughts?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

modestduty posted:

So I have a question. Maybe this isn't the best place to ask, considering it's the Miata megathread and I may get shot, but... My friend drives a bright red Miata. Granted, it's a Mazdaspeed MX-5, and it's got some pretty serious legs, but it's also a convertible, and, I'll reiterate, bright red. He claims this doesn't make him gay and it's not a gay car... Thoughts?

You secretly want his cock.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

modestduty posted:

Maybe this isn't the best place to ask,

Next time, listen to that voice in your head.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You're gay for thinking he's gay.

e: msm is p gay though tbqh

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

modestduty posted:

He claims this doesn't make him gay

Do you believe that a car can _make_ someone gay?

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

FunkyJunk posted:

Next time, listen to that voice in your head.

There are many voices in my head. One of them said, "Wait! Don't insult the Miata here! It's a THREAD FULL OF MIATA OWNERS!" Another said, "This is the best place to get information because it's a THREAD FULL OF MIATA OWNERS!" A third said, "I REALLY loving LIKE FRIED CHIKKINZ!"

As you can see, I ended up following the second voice.

Don't misunderstand, Miatas are very cool cars, significantly better than the shitbox I drive. I was just wondering if the general consensus was that they tend to be more feminine-oriented. I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm just asking.

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

modestduty posted:

I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm just asking.

Yes we are all gay. I suck 4 cocks a day.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Some people buy cars based on how fun they are to drive, not how they look.

Anyone who seriously thinks miatas are "human being" cars probably drives a lifted SUV with a license plate that reads "sizmtrs"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
^^^ ur gay

Suniikaa posted:

Yes we are all gay. I suck 4 cocks a day.

420 smoke cocks everyday.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

modestduty posted:

I was just wondering if the general consensus was that they tend to be more feminine-oriented. I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm just asking.
When the Miata designers penned the car, they weren't looking to attract females and gays with the styling of the car. They were looking to cash in on a decades-old tradition of small open roadsters that let you enjoy driving. Whether that is objectively feminine is for you to decide.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

modestduty posted:

Actually, he's right, it's not gay at all. As evidence, I'll cite an incident from my drive to work this morning:

At a stoplight a few blocks from home, a Chevy Astro pulled up in the right-turn lane next to me, and the driver looked at me, then looked at my 9-year-old Miata and said, "eeeeeeeeeeeeh, what's wrong with your PENIS, you gotta drive a car like that to compensate? eeehahahaha", turned right and took off.

So, clearly, it's not a gay car, it's a car for straight men to compensate for their sexual inadequacies.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

modestduty posted:

Don't misunderstand, Miatas are very cool cars, significantly better than the shitbox I drive. I was just wondering if the general consensus was that they tend to be more feminine-oriented. I'm not trying to insult anyone, I'm just asking.

It's a sociological phenomenon that causes a vehicle to become associated with a particular social group, excepting cars dedicated to a purpose.

Subarus are well known GLBT cars; for whatever reason, the "community," (such that an all-encompassing community exists for a sexual preference) has decided that Subarus are good for them. Why? Who knows. The most vocal alphas of any group love to get together and make decisions.

The Miata has always had a "girly" stigma. Part of it is that it's a "cute" car. Part of it is that it's a convertible. These factors do appear to attract females who believe strongly in gender norms. Is this all girls? No.

Similarly, the Miata has a stigma as being a "gay" car, but in the pejorative sense (rather than the "accepted by the community sense," as with Subarus above); that is, it's a car for guys who are "wusses," not necessarily dudes who like dudes. It's all image laid on the car by dominant social structures. I believe this is a factor of men who believe strongly in gender norms as well as men who are possibly compensating for various other issues; the former group simply sees girls liking cars and takes the opposite stance, since women can't possibly like things that men would like. The latter group are to be more vocal and outwardly aggressive; it's easy to take a stance on something and make it stick so as to appear "normal."

This isn't to say that gay men don't drive Miatas. They drive Miatas, and pickup trucks, schoolbusses, and ANYTHING. Some of them even don't (gasp!) like Subarus! Putting people in this kind of a box of preferences is a good way to dehumanize them and make them seem like living stereotypes.

Long story short, the question is bullshit. The answer is far deeper than this. I suspect you were asking really as a joke and came up with an excuse to avoid being banned. Whatever. The stigma is retarded, but I'm sure I'm guilty of similar assumptions.

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jul 6, 2009

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?

Shlomo Palestein posted:

The answer is far deeper than this. I suspect you were asking really as a joke and came up with an excuse to avoid being banned. Whatever.

Not true at all. One, I'm not sure how I could be banned because I asked that, but I actually posted the second time because the first one was a little harsh and I wanted to clarify.

I didn't mean it as a joke, he fervently maintains that it's not a "gay car." But thank you, Shlomo: your explanation was perfect, I think I understand a lot better now. I know next to nothing about cars other than "I need one that drives alright and won't break", so I wasn't sure if the Miata roadster was any more girly than a Z4 or something.

Also, trust me, I'm not nearly stupid enough to troll on my third day in the forums.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Sorry if it came off harshly; I've become accustomed to seeing new (like, within days new) reg-dates with what would seem to be trolling questions, and call a spade a spade. It seems you meant it harmlessly enough, so I apologize for insinuating you meant it as a troll.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

modestduty posted:

Also, trust me, I'm not nearly stupid enough to troll on my third day in the forums.

Don't sell yourself short. Going into a specific-model car thread and asking if that kind of car is 'gay' is either (A) a troll, or (B) immensely stupid. You're quite easily stupid enough to be trolling, whether or not that's what you did.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

FunkyJunk posted:

Don't sell yourself short. Going into a specific-model car thread and asking if that kind of car is 'gay' is either (A) a troll, or (B) immensely stupid. You're quite easily stupid enough to be trolling, whether or not that's what you did.

It could very well have been, but I've met people who honestly never met a gay person/jew/black person in their life, and they have all sorts of general misconceptions about them or how to phrase things regarding them. It may have been intended as a harmless question from a perspective; if you assume that "gay" isn't meant in the negative context and that it's just a sexual preference, I can see the question being intended as harmless. Sure, it's phrased rather dumbly (speed, friend, speed, gay?), but you never know who you're speaking to. His "stupidity" may just be naivety.

tolerabletariff
Jul 3, 2009

Do you think I'm spooky?
I meant "feminine", I said gay because the only Miata driver I know is a guy. And I didn't mean it in a bad way at all, I go to a university where about 15% of the student body is openly gay, I have absolutely no problem with that. I even tried to phrase the question well, complemented the car's quickness, and so on. The only people talking about sucking cocks were the people who didn't want to answer the question.

Anyway, I think I'm going to GTFO of this thread before I say anything else stupid.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

modestduty posted:

Anyway, I think I'm going to GTFO of this thread before I say anything else stupid.

Well ultimately one'd hope you'd be educated out of all this. The thing you should try to answer is -- "does choosing a car necessarily mean you're buying into some crowd's preconceived notions of that car?"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

To be fair, the first two images in the thread are:

Hagetaka posted:

This thread brought to you by Helldump

Post your pics of how you butched up your Miata

Also if you can't take the OMG GAY CAR stigma then, regardless of any basis in reality, you're not going to be able to handle having a Miata. I just think it's faaaaabulous.

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also if you can't take the OMG GAY CAR stigma then, regardless of any basis in reality, you're not going to be able to handle having a Miata. I just think it's faaaaabulous.

That's just giving up because you've realized you can't fight it. I've been tilting at windmills for the last eight years. :rolleyes:

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
When my girlfriend mentioned I got an old miata to a friend of hers, she said "Why? Hes not gay?!"

Stupid oval office.

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I actually never got any kind of poo poo from people for owning a Miata in person, just on the internet. Most of the comments in person have just been like, "whoa, nice sports car dude!" Maybe 'cause they're less common in the northeast or something.

Frank Dux
Jun 19, 2005

Hey guys I got a bit of a problem with my 99. My charge light came on the other day while driving along with my dash lights dimming out at the same time.. never stalled on me or anything, but I suspected the alternator/belt could be the culprit. The belt looked pretty worn and I had it checked out at advance auto parts and it read 15 amps throughout.. so no issue there I guess. I changed the belt to a new one and started it up and all was well for a day of driving but today when I took the car out for a spin the charge light has come on again within a minute of driving. Could it be the battery? Its only a year or two old?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

VPILF posted:

I actually never got any kind of poo poo from people for owning a Miata in person, just on the internet. Most of the comments in person have just been like, "whoa, nice sports car dude!" Maybe 'cause they're less common in the northeast or something.
Same. I get nothing but compliments in person.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

VPILF posted:

I get a lot of idiots saying the miata is a "girly car," but not really any about it being a gay man's car. Those idiots are definitely outnumbered by compliments about it being a nice sports car from other owners or car enthusiasts, and a lot of people who just say it looks nice or "cute" (I drive an NB). I get the Miata wave here in the midwest quite a bit as well, which just makes me warm and fuzzy inside about the enthusiastic community of the MX-5 [no homo].

Overall, the people who think its a girls car or a car for the gays are just rednecks whose car knowledge extends to the F150 or morons who love giant SUVs on 24's. The people who are actually educated or care about performance cars have said nothing but good things about the Miata.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Most people I've known that have had the slightest reservation about my car change their mind when they pucker up around a corner.

It's so cute :3:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I once had sometime in a Blazer call me a bitch as I pulled away from a stoplight. :shobon:

Also: kids love Miatas.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VPILF posted:

Neither have I, actually. Closest I've ever had is when I was driving top down, hearing some teens comment rather loudly how I should be in an Escalade instead. Apparently a GM SUV is a better choice for a tall person? I don't know.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Neither have I, actually. Closest I've ever had is when I was driving top down, hearing some teens comment rather loudly how I should be in an Escalade instead. Apparently a GM SUV is a better choice for a tall person? I don't know.

I got "nice bald spot," even though I'm not bald or thinning, from some kids in a schoolbus. I think they may have thought it was better than "You're greying in your twenties!"

They all smiled and waved when I looked up at them though, so I may have just made some friends..?

STFU DONNY
Apr 8, 2004

I'M RIDIN' SPINNAZ! THEY DON'T STOP!
Hey guys. I've got the transmission dropped and I am trying to get new seals in the front of the transmission. Where can I get the part numbers for these two seals? Are they called the "front transmission seal" and the "input shaft seal" ?

Here is a pic. http://picasaweb.google.com/jdimonda/MiataTransDrop#5355949410725061250
You can zoom there or download original.

I bought the part number for the front transmission seal from this writeup at the bottom and it doesn't fit and is thicker than the one I pulled off. The writeup is from a 90 and mine is a 97. Could there be a difference?
edit: ok I just realized the seal I bought goes into the front transmission cover plate, not the one that I removed.

STFU DONNY fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jul 8, 2009

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001
the 94 is a *slightly* different tranny, so part #'s might differ. I don't know for sure.

That said, I'd just do seals that were leaking. The prospect of loving up scares me. :)

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
There are 2 or 3 types of people I've seen in my city who drive Miatas

1. Middle-Age Ladies
2. Really Old men with grey hair and beards
3. Teenage Girls

Sometimes I might see a dude about my age driving one, but they're never that enthusiastic. The grey-hairs will most definitely wave, the ladies might, but the teenage girls will never.

edit: Yes, people asked my girlfriend if I finally came out. Also, they're the automotive equivalent of a Camry driver :iiaca:

AkrisD fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 8, 2009

BatDan
Apr 30, 2003

A guy at work thought that my black and tan 94 miata was some kind of expensive Mercedes or something.

Cute girls always wave to me when I'm driving. That never happened in my '93 Chevy Lumina. Of course those girls may think that I'm gay.

The people I usually see driving miatas are older men. When I do see younger guys they seem to be enthusiasts. My particular favorite was the guy driving down route 90 pulling a trailer with a motorcycle that appeared to be set up for racing with his Miata. I imagine those were the only two vehicles he owned, and he probably raced the miata too.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Heh, once I got a speeding ticket and afterward wound up circling around a few blocks to see if the speed limit sign had been obscured (it had not). Anyway I'm sitting at a red light looking around every which to find the signs and two dolled up party girls pulled up next to me in a 4Runner. The exchange went like this:
:j:#1 Hey are you lost?
:cool: No, I actually just got a speeding ticket and was trying to find the signs
:j:#2 Oh really? Well I better be careful then because this thing's got some scoot. Haw haw haw
:j:#1 Oh I bet he knows what that's like. He has a Porsche! That's a Porsche right?
:cool: Err no-- yes, yes indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
When braking and turning right, there's a noise (that isn't pads squealing) from the front-right side. What is it?