Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

One of my all time favorite things to do is to grief my own team mates. I play gears of war 2 with a couple of regulars, and for the most part I'd say I'm a pretty capable player, but every now and then I like to spice things up by getting myself and others killed.

In particular, I like to tag a downed enemy with a grenade, while another teammate is on his way to finish the job. Nade goes off, and not only do i get his kill, but the teamate is killed by the blast as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Vib Rib posted:

Seeing as how people are becoming more aware and more tired of it, I decided to have one last run with the intel exploit on TF2 before it's gone.
I had some fun with the standard stuff, and employed a few tactics that always seem to get a rise out of people. I sat on the desk where the intel is supposed to be, and every time the guarding engineer looked away, I'd move a few inches towards the door. He'd look back, jump at me, fire wildly, and occasionally shout hysterically at his team. Little by little the intel inched its way out towards the enemy base, and the engineer must have set up five or six new sentries along the way to protect it.
Then I flew around in the mini-skybox for a while. For those that don't know, this is the tiny cube of geometry that's projected around the level at a massive scale to make for the distant scenery+sky, and as a result, a 200-foot-tall intelligence briefcase was floating in the sky over the level. Unfortunately that one didn't quite get the reaction I'd hoped for though a few people did just gather out on the bridge and stare upwards repeating things like "HOLY GOD OUR INTEL IS HUGE".
Getting people to follow me sort of wore out its humor value, so I floated in the middle of the other team's courtyard and watched the entire team line up on the catwalk to jump out at me and try to catch me in mid-air, only to move sharply to one side as they jumped. That kept up for a few minutes without them learning any better.

But everyone, myself included, started getting bored of it. It was clear this exploit was just about out of steam. I decided to try something more novel.

So I changed my name to BLU INTEL and started talking to both teams, knowing they could only hear me when they were dead. I claimed to be the BLU Fairy and the teams immediately became divided within themselves over a conflict in people who did and did not believe in fairies. One player in particular, an engineer, defended me bravely. Of course because only dead players could hear me he'd often respond to something no one else could hear and quickly became isolated from the other teams. He wrote a long speech to me, the BLU Intel, including phrases like "Intel, I love you. I want you to know that. Even when the chips are down and the sentries are up and the whole darn world seems gray and bleak, you're always there for me. You never let us down, intel." The other players quickly distanced themselves from this madman, many of them freshly-joined and thus not understanding the situation ("who the gently caress noob admin is loving flying the intel gayass admin cheat").
This speech went on for a while.

The teams went full offense VS full defense, because only one team could make captures now. They had 0 of 3 points, the other team (who needed to capture me) had 2.
For the rest of the round, I stuck close to the engineer who had defended my honor, and people quickly turned jealous of his "pet intel". When he made runs for metal while setting up, the intel would accompany him like a faithful dog to and from the supply closet. When a spy was near, the intel would dart out to where the spy was. For some reason, when I bumped into a cloaked spy, their cloak faded, as if a normal player had bumped into them, so I could easily highlight their location. When people came in to assault the engineer's sentry, the intel would dash out at them and fly all around their heads, causing them to spin in circles firing at the perceived foe while the defense easily dispatched them. No engineer could ask for a better or more faithful assistant.

Finally, after another cycle of new and confused players ("WTF I just got attacked by the intel??"), the BLU intel briefcase slowly wandered away from the sentry nest, and the perplexed engineer (and a few others) followed. The BLU intel floated down to the RED intel room and bobbed in the air, indicating the RED intel table.
What followed was a stirring and dramatic piece, emotionally beautiful, the likes of which was never seen before or since on a TF2 server.
:clint: Intel, boy, what are you doing?
:confused: I think it wants us to capture it.
:clint: Don't do that, you'll die!
:ohdear: oh god what's happening
:clint: Intel, is this really what you want?
:confused: I think it trusts you enough.
:o: It's making a valiant sacrifice for you.
:clint: I don't know if I can do this.
:ohdear: intel i love you
[intel drops lifelessly to the ground, waiting to be picked up]
:( Do what's right, engineer.
:clint: I-I'm gonna miss him.
:ohdear: he's really gone is'nt he
:clint: He shouldn't have done that! I loved him!
:( But... now we've got the last capture. Thanks to him, we can win this.
:o: You should be the one to capture him. It's what he would want.
:clint: I don't know if I can live with the pain of knowing that once I cross this capture line, he'll be gone forever.
:ohdear: it's okay engineer
:supaburn: [screamed at max volume through the mic] loving GAY rear end FAGGOTS gently caress GOD PICK IT UP BEFORE IT TIMES OUT YOU loving FAGGOTS JESUS CHRIST SHUT UP AND CAP IT JUST loving CAP IT FAGGOTS gently caress FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Quoted for new page. This is how you exploit a bug. :golfclap:

Too bad it's "pedestrian".

Haircut Insurance
Aug 3, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

this never happened

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE

Cat Machine posted:

Could you actually tell us the story of what you did? A 27 hour chatlog is kinda tedious to read.

Here is a well-written article about the basic strategy used. In that game, one of my allies dropped at the very beginning. He was a night elf, which is usually the race used to supply crucial lumber to the other two races (human and orc). Basically, we did what is outlined in the article, and managed to stay on our perch for 27 hours before finally disconnecting.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Haircut Insurance posted:

this never happened

This is how you grief a thread. Make a three word terrible reply to an actual entertaining post, whether it is true or not.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
What is so weird about second life is that people actually use it for business reasons. One of my co-workers who is a librarian actually "attended" a library seminar within the confines of the game where they discussed being a librarian in an online social setting.

I also know that some goons griefed the John Edwards campaign office in second life by relating him to the psychic Jon Edwards. But for the most part, most of these people probably don't realize that all of this furry sex is occurring.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Drox posted:

I've always hated those exploits walking across the street.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Drox posted:

Quoted for new page. This is how you exploit a bug. :golfclap:

It could be argued that it is in fact a decent prank or grief though. It's easily comprehensible to people who've never played TF2, it's original, it's funny, and it was well-written. Kudos! :D

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007
That's the missing element, creativity. When you make someone grief their own team members, that's when you've won. Using the exploit itself isn't exactly original or groundbreaking, but getting someone that involved is when it works.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

What is so weird about second life is that people actually use it for business reasons.
[...]
But for the most part, most of these people probably don't realize that all of this furry sex is occurring.

Same goes for the real world, really.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Haircut Insurance posted:

this never happened
You caught me. Technically he switched to Demoman before he dropped it off.

Horse Pro
Mar 25, 2007

Social Activist, Philanthropist, Youtube Extraordinaire

Vib Rib posted:

I'm dying laughing here.

This goes beyond griefing and steps over into performance art. Bravo.

A Frosty Beverage
Sep 26, 2007

Full of vitamin chill
Oh man, that's fuckin' gold. I'm dyin' here. Thank you, Vib Rib, for the best laugh of my week.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Hooooly poo poo it's real. Nicely done. :golfclap:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
People are catching onto the intel-griefing bug already.

I've gone to several servers and had fun with one, but the other two just kicked me fairly quickly with one guy saying "This is the third time this has happened on the server today".

It already caught on :(

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

The Saga of the Ghost Intel

I laughed, I cried, I laughed some more.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick

Vib Rib posted:

Amazing sir, just amazing.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
L4D griefing, related to me by my brother:

You should see us griefing in L4D, by cleverly turning the cheats on without them noticing. I don't think anyone does it as well as a couple guys vicious and them - like, he sat around scripting so much stuff out it is ridiculous and amazing, too many things to name.

spawning things:
like planes in the middle of the street, cars, sandbags, extra zombies, making zombies hit harder, giving boomer an explosion as he dies, giving special infected tank melee, making people's kickback on weapons a lot harder so thy look like striaght up when they fire

deleting players (their screen just turns black and they ahve to console quit, it's taken people minutes before)

the elevator on the one map - spawning it in a different place people get in, it closes, has disco lights. Goes upwards into the ceiling they all get crushed.

Having it in the normal spot but just despawning it so they all fall to their deaths, or rotating it so the door is on the bottom and they fall out. They all got in one time but fell instantly to the bottom and lived so he rotated it to the bottom and landed it on a guy, and closed the door so it scooped him up.

Having the elevator go up for a long time and then down so it opens again on the same floor they got on at.

having constant car alarms, mobs in the skybox, skybox on fire.

Bringing the escape vehicle immediately like the helicopter which comes before they even start the event. They all jump in it and it turns and they fall out and it flies away. It's so funny with alltalk on

HEY THE HELICOPTER IS HERE
WAIT IT'S LEAVING
WAIT
WAIT STOP

(you should record that poo poo)
I have a few things but not enough - like making the boomer blow up like the gas station does.

We spawned so many planes infront of them in the road (like 747's) that they couldn't bypass it, all piled up
the funnest is doing the things subtly so people stay. like the elevator opening on the same floor etc. or having alltalk on and just trolling like

WE'RE HTE BEST EVERYONE FOLLOW US LET'S GO
or stupid poo poo

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

blackguy32 posted:

What is so weird about second life is that people actually use it for business reasons. One of my co-workers who is a librarian actually "attended" a library seminar within the confines of the game where they discussed being a librarian in an online social setting.

I also know that some goons griefed the John Edwards campaign office in second life by relating him to the psychic Jon Edwards. But for the most part, most of these people probably don't realize that all of this furry sex is occurring.

What is it with libraries and Second Life? My university one apparently has a 'presence' in second life and most of the library computers have the client installed and comprehensive instructions for getting into it. I just don't understand what they are using it for///

Chocolatebuddha
Oct 15, 2007

Sweet Deity!

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1 posted:

Just like the flare gun exploit, this isn't funny and isn't creative enough to be good griefing. It's just pathetic.

To pre-empt the usual replies, no I haven't been affected by this bug and that's not why I'm posting. I'm posting about it because it's just the most plebian form of griefing... pedestrian... boring... not funny.

You should be sucking Vib Rib's cock right now, pedestrian!

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Chocolatebuddha posted:

Sucking cock is far too boring and pedestrian. May I suggest anal fisting? :allears:

I'll also probably make a post eventually chronicling my griefing adventures in Call of Duty 4, but I'm compiling more visual evidence so that's for another day.

MeTa_Cunt0rV2.1
Jul 30, 2004

by elpintogrande

Chocolatebuddha posted:

I already said he made the best post on the subject, and what he posted above shows how you can make a grief creative. Get off that bandwagon and get a mind of your own you cretin.

My point has been made and I won't mention it again if you drones can stop trying to one up each other for the last word. Get over it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
No doubt some of you are familiar with HellMOO.

Anyways, in this game, if you try to fly an aircraft with low skill, it crashes and explodes. Explosions tend to gib people who are caught in them, destroying implants. The admins made the poor choice of hosting a 4th of July party atop a high-rise that had many player aircraft on top.

http://pastebin.com/f21003329

My character was password scrambled (banned) almost immediately, but that's not the end of the story. Apparently one of the other admins thinks what I did was hilarious, and has started a "Free Gibbinator" movement!

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

Snipers really hate it when two briefcases obstruct their view.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Jul 8, 2009

John Pastor
Jan 5, 2007

I think I'd like to hold off judgment on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in... I don't think it's quite fair to condemn the whole program because of a single slip up, sir.

-Troika- posted:

No doubt some of you are familiar with HellMOO.

Anyways, in this game, if you try to fly an aircraft with low skill, it crashes and explodes. Explosions tend to gib people who are caught in them, destroying implants. The admins made the poor choice of hosting a 4th of July party atop a high-rise that had many player aircraft on top.

http://pastebin.com/f21003329

My character was password scrambled (banned) almost immediately, but that's not the end of the story. Apparently one of the other admins thinks what I did was hilarious, and has started a "Free Gibbinator" movement!

So... did you steal a plane and crash it into the roof? I'm not good at interpreting text-based MOOs.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

John Pastor posted:

So... did you steal a plane and crash it into the roof? I'm not good at interpreting text-based MOOs.

That is precisely what happened, and it made many people explode.

Salvia Divinorum
Sep 27, 2008
I know I'm a late for posting this, but this harrasment is fantastic.

Mister Shake?

It's the fact that he is holding a conversation thats awesome.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

John Pastor posted:

Pretty much. Effectively, I turned my complete lack of piloting skills into a weapon.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel
Haha, holy poo poo. I just saw a banner ad for The Realm Online and it brought back memories of how I used to rob peoples' houses :D

For anyone who never played, every person in the game gets an identical house and you get to it by going to a 'gatekeeper' (NPCs in every town who teleported you to other towns) and selecting "Go to house" and entering a name, or by clicking a button to go to yours. This took you to a garden and to get inside you had to enter a password in a box after clicking the door. I would hang out in places where people would be selling stuff and initiate trades, waiting until I got someone who said they need to go and pick it up. I'd tell them I need to get some cash too, and then ask them a question and whilst they were typing a reply I'd leave and go to their house, cast invisiblity and hide in the garden, and follow them in when they opened the door. I'd then loot everything I could :)

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Emalde posted:

That is precisely what happened, and it made many people explode.

I had heard that crashing aircraft damages any others in the same square. What I was hoping was to start a chain detonation, but unfortunately either the explosion didn't do enough damage or I heard wrong.

If all those aircraft had exploded, even the admins probably would have died (they have 100 health iirc, so are tough but not invincible)

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

'City of Heroes' character 'Twixt' becomes game's most hated outcast courtesy of Loyola professor

I've tried to play the game but it bored the crap out of me. My own personal griefing episodes are pretty lame in comparison to anything you guys have done but I read the above this morning and thought it fit the thread really well. Anyone familiar with the character?

ScreamingNinja
Oct 2, 2004
An Awesome Dude
Man i really need to learn what i'm doing in Second Life. However i did my best last night to enjoy my first griefing experience.

I just randomly clicked around the map looking for 2 dots close together. I'd usually come up on people loving but the map wouldn't let me create objects. So i'd venture on to my next victim.

Finally i came to a house that let me in, i went up to the room where they were and just stood there for a bit, hanging out. Finally after a minute or so of awkward silent, i whipped out my shot gun and blasted the guy off of the girl. And he starting running around with a giant boner. I kept blasting him until he eventually got angry and told me to go away.

Of course all i could do was spawn my Jewsaurus Rex directly in the room to stare at the two of them. Finally the girl stood up, actually put on her clothes, and then left. The guy stood there yelling at me and telling me to go away, so i whipped out my Popgun and started shooting glowing cones everywhere that played "What is love!?" constantly. Eventually i had them raining down from the sky and i decided to finally leave him alone and went back to W-Hat.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

fondue posted:

'City of Heroes' character 'Twixt' becomes game's most hated outcast courtesy of Loyola professor

I've tried to play the game but it bored the crap out of me. My own personal griefing episodes are pretty lame in comparison to anything you guys have done but I read the above this morning and thought it fit the thread really well. Anyone familiar with the character?

Does anyone know how accurate this article actually is? I don't play CoH/CoV, but it starts sounding about as accurate as those episodes of CSI where they enter secondlife and basically just create their own story around it.

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
That article, or maybe the posting about it on Slashdot, linked to the professor's original 25-page paper; I skimmed it yesterday.

Looks like he basically just was really a big fan of Teleport Foe (does what it says on the tin - the targeted foe is teleported to "right next to you"). Teleport Foe has a decent range - longer than most sniper attacks, and you could slot some range enhancers to improve that further - so it's possible to target another player from a couple hundred yards away, where they can't effectively counterattack, and teleport them next to yourself, where an NPC will take care of them for you.

Some of the things Twixt (who played on the "hero" side) mentioned doing in Recluse's Victory (a high-level PVP zone):

* Teleporting villains to the hero base, where the hero-side drone guards would instantly teleport them back to the villain base, all the way across the zone
* Teleporting villains into the middle of a group of heroes who would quickly ambush him
* Teleporting villains next to hero pillboxes (automated or occasionally player-controlled stationary pets with four really big guns) and letting the pillbox finish him off
* Teleporting villains next to heavies (giant robot pets, they're painfully slow but pack a wallop)

Apparently, on whichever server he was on, nobody took PVP all that seriously, and he was pretty much playing by the letter of the rules, trying to "win" the zone. (If one side controls six of the seven pillboxes in the zone, that side actually "wins" for a few minutes.) Everyone else on that server would use the zone as a chat channel, use it for private duels, but rarely tried to "win" in the traditional sense.

MatterHorn
Jul 28, 2006
I think I played the quarks a bit sharp.
^I just guess I've never seen a server with that attitude, and I've played on most of them.

teamdest posted:

Does anyone know how accurate this article actually is? I don't play CoH/CoV, but it starts sounding about as accurate as those episodes of CSI where they enter secondlife and basically just create their own story around it.

From my experience in the game it is a definite CSI moment. The combat areas see tons of combat, and dickish moves are pretty standard. Hell the robot firing line they were talking about doesn't even kill players it just teleports you back to your base.

I'm not sure it counts a greifing since its also valid play, but I had my stalker character (low health with the ability to stealth and do huge damage when exiting stealth) armed with teleport other. Each pvp zone has a base on either end where villians and heroes spawn and I'd spend allot of time hiding just on the other side of the base wall, peaking over it with camera angles, waiting for heroes to enter the zone. Then you teleport them over and optimally one hit kill them. Then when they exit the hospital where they respawned you repeat the process.

I spent a few happy hours chain killing a very angry blaster over and over, moving my ambush location each time. He'd zoom out and move around where I last stabbed him trying to get close enough to de-stealth me and I'd pull him to some odd piece of geometry and paint the wall red. He finally rage quit when I started using hover to teleport him into the air and then I'd activate stab as he fell past and he'd die in mid air.

MatterHorn fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 7, 2009

Soth
Jul 21, 2004

My knife, you see... is coated in poison.

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

Apparently, on whichever server he was on, nobody took PVP all that seriously, and he was pretty much playing by the letter of the rules, trying to "win" the zone. (If one side controls six of the seven pillboxes in the zone, that side actually "wins" for a few minutes.) Everyone else on that server would use the zone as a chat channel, use it for private duels, but rarely tried to "win" in the traditional sense.

So he trolled a bunch of carebears? gg scrublord.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

That little "exploration of game mechanics and social rules" will provide bullshit fodder for thousands of assholes, wait and see.

And I absolutely LOVE how he spouts off the above mere moments after going "I'm only playing by the games official rules".

Justice Grieves
Feb 26, 2007
If I must die, I shall welcome Death as an old friend, and wrap mine arms about it.
To be fair, if you want to role-play the duel of Lightbringer and Cybernazi Prime, go play a roleplaying game or something. Recluse's Victory is a PVP zone, not a chat channel.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Bozart posted:

L4D griefing, related to me by my brother:

You should see us griefing in L4D,
But... You weren't griefing this is a story from someone else, who is this royal "we" you refer to? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Sounds like people who play CoH are fantastic pussies and easily trolled.

• Locked thread