Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IHatePancakes
Jan 29, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Here's a quick SS13 one to try and get this back on track:

Someone posted a pretty hilarious griefing tactic he liked to employ (forget who it was, it was posted a few weeks ago or longer).

Two things you gotta know: First, because of BYOND's laggy-rear end code, players sometimes don't pay attention when running and will often just hold down an arrow key and run 'til they bump into a wall, then change direction. Second, virtually every round involves the station going to complete poo poo in some way, resulting in the escape shuttle being called and then a mad dash for the escape shuttle arm.

In the picture below, 1 is the escape shuttle dock, and 2 is the escape shuttle hallway/arm. This guy liked to knock out the three reinforced windows (marked with dark red Xed-out boxes) at one end of the arm and watch as people flooded out the hole into space.

Green arrow is typical/intended path. Red is the actual one when this happened.

That was pretty awesome.

Yeah, that was me. For a while it was the first thing I'd do when I'd join a round. It got to the point where everyone would walk slowly around that corner then I stopped doing it. But the first few pubbies that sprinted off into space and started yelling "WTF I just spaced myself" were absolutely priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ChiralCondensate posted:

The real grief is on the taxpayers whose money funded this guy's grant and study.
I don't think you know how much money goes into Federally Funded Research. I work at a place that's wholly funded by it, trust me, one dude poopsocking, even for 5 years, wouldn't even come close to the smallest grant we've ever had funded (laughably small,) which was $500,000 over a 3-year period - for reference, that 500k pays for all equipment, software licensing (at 1k-10k per copy), employee paychecks, and the scientist's actual paychecks during that time as well. This "MMO professor" wouldn't have had a chance to submit for more than 50-150k, and at that level, you pretty much get rejected out of hand for being a solo loon in a shack.

Even if he submitted through grants.gov, there's no way anyone would have accepted a proposal for 1 dude to play a videogame to "study the tribalistic tendencies in videogames," or however he would have put together that bull.

A realistic Federal (Psych, since that's all they do where I work) Research Grant in the USA will usually start out at 3million as a lowball estimate, 5 million is more realistic for a couple years to pay for a handful of people, a gaggle of interns, and maybe a dozen or so computers + licenses. 10 million is starting to sound like a solid grant cost for a grant that actually intends to get something done and have followups (suddenly a few million for "studying bear DNA" gets put into more perspective when you start thinking of the cost of vehicles, equipment, training, insurance, etc.)

/derail, I deal with this stuff a lot and there is no way this guy got any direct green-light or monies from grants.gov, more likely he is tenured or some poo poo and had to push out a paper over the summer he found himself addicted to CoH, or was bedridden from an injury, or something along those lines.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Has anyone mentioned the Priest of Discord griefs from Everquest?

The first one was easy. In every starter town there lived an NPC called the Priest of Discord. He was drat near invulnerable, and his only purpose was to allow a player to irreversibly flag himself as a player killer. All you had to do was talk to him, get his Book of Discord, then hand it back and bammo – you’ve completed his quest and now you’re a PK for the rest of your character’s life.

PKs in Everquest had a tough life. They could only attack players that were also marked as PKs. They could party with non-PK players, but they couldn’t receive healing or buffs from non-PK players. Because of this, and because grouping in EQ was almost essential, PKs soon found that leveling up was impossible once past the newbie stages of the game. Completing the Priest of Discord quest literally doomed a character.

If I hung out in a newbie zone for an hour or so, there was a 100% chance that some high level person would be giving some newbie step-by-step advice on how to turn in the book to the Priest of Discord.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Lonjon posted:

Has anyone mentioned the Priest of Discord griefs from Everquest?

The first one was easy. In every starter town there lived an NPC called the Priest of Discord. He was drat near invulnerable, and his only purpose was to allow a player to irreversibly flag himself as a player killer. All you had to do was talk to him, get his Book of Discord, then hand it back and bammo – you’ve completed his quest and now you’re a PK for the rest of your character’s life.

PKs in Everquest had a tough life. They could only attack players that were also marked as PKs. They could party with non-PK players, but they couldn’t receive healing or buffs from non-PK players. Because of this, and because grouping in EQ was almost essential, PKs soon found that leveling up was impossible once past the newbie stages of the game. Completing the Priest of Discord quest literally doomed a character.

If I hung out in a newbie zone for an hour or so, there was a 100% chance that some high level person would be giving some newbie step-by-step advice on how to turn in the book to the Priest of Discord.

Why the hell would a game have an NPC that did something like that -- especially if it is irreversible? It sounds like the creators of Everquest are doing the griefing here.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ninjasaurus posted:

Why the hell would a game have an NPC that did something like that -- especially if it is irreversible? It sounds like the creators of Everquest are doing the griefing here.

You just don't understand The Vision, man.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I kind of suspected he wrote the paper to justify his playing a fun MMO as "research" and get paid for it. This doesn't really confirm it, but it sure makes it sound more like what I was thinking than what he's presenting it as.

I was also in the class that Barudak was in. The focus of the class, and really his drive to work on the paper itself seemed to be a derivative of how people view modern media and play, stemming from discussion about "games" and "play" and their ability to be used to teach.

A lot of it is supposed to be an analysis of what can be learned from social game, individual games, etc. The reason he stresses that he followed the rules, constantly, and that it angered people, is that he is making a point that the rules of the game are not necessarily a construct of the game as it is played.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ninjasaurus posted:

It made SOME sense, considering the MMO games at the time. Ultima Online, Everquest's chief competitor, allowed any player to PK any other player, and left it to the players to protect themselves from getting ganked by every idiot 13-year-old with a modem. If you didn't have a decent guild or group of friends, it could be impossible to venture too far outside towns because you'd just get murdered.

The Priest of Discord may sound a little odd, but it's a decent in-character way to split up players who want to fight other players from the RP kiddies and PvM players, without letting people easily deflag themselves to avoid reprisal. I can't remember what the exact process is, but the Priest of Discord is also a good idiot test. Before you can flag yourself for PvP, you have to listen to him tell you exactly what you are doing and how irrevocable it is, and click through each step of the process, with him explaining it as you go along. If you accidentally flag yourself anyway, you probably deserve it.

edit: For some reason this reminds me of the "grief" Valve played with the last big Team Fortress 2 update. (Or was this already mentioned here?) The TF2 menu screen was given an option to delete your unlockable weapons, which would only be necessary after future patches added enough stuff to fill your backpack. Regardless, the Steam forums had quite a few threads of people who didn't read any of the warning messages and irrevocably deleted some of their unique weapons for no good reason. I think one of them posted something like "It's their fault! They put the button there! If I see a button, I just have to push it!"

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 8, 2009

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Lonjon posted:

Priest of Discord
The Priest of Discord was also a total rear end kicking NPC (at least he was in the early stages of the game) and for some guilds, it served as a rite of passage to kill him. I remember one day my guild had gathered in Kelethin (a wood elf city located in the trees and was accessible via elevators) to take out the PoD found near one of the lifts. As mentioned before, PoDs were foudn in cities and near the newbie areas, so we had a little gathering of people begging for buffs and power leveling from all us "high levels" (we weren't that special).

One of the magicians, a class which focuses on summoning stuff like elemental pets and gimmicky items, was getting a little annoyed by the beggars. So he started summoning Modulation Rods. Mod Rods were a mid or high level summoned item that could be right clicked to instantly convert 225 hitpoints into 150 mana. Of course, this being EQ, all you got from looking at the item was "Effect: Modulation."

You can probably see where this is going.

He wound up scattering them on the ground and spoke in /say (so the beggars around us could hear) that they were for the guild to take and use on the fight. Some of the beggars rushed for the items, picked them up, then obviously immediately used them because their little level 3 selves would instantly die from using the rods.

The best part was the one guy started bitching at us after he died, then came back and picked up another rod and killed himself again.

Blarticus
Dec 7, 2004

And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else... I don't know.
But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

chairface posted:

The FarmTown app on Facebook, which is like Harvest Moon for idiots, there's a group of us that go to the public areas and decry the oppression foisted upon we poor farmers by James and Tom (the two NPC vendors in the game) to fund their decadent lifestyle. I don't know if that's really griefing or not but we get a variety of responses and periodically get entire instances of the real estate office or the marketplace yelling angrily at NPC vendors who can't respond or defend themselves.

I've been playing FarmTown as well, I like to plant a nice big swastika of grapes, wait a couple hours and start hiring some help to come down an check out the concentration ranch :) It's even better to get hired and to just harvest a big swastika out of their field and leave. Not sure why I'm such a big fan of swastikas....

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I know it's buried someone in the thread but can anyone link me the hilarious second life video of some guy with an avatar of some fat guy with a massive dick running around with a "free hugs" sign?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know it's buried someone in the thread but can anyone link me the hilarious second life video of some guy with an avatar of some fat guy with a massive dick running around with a "free hugs" sign?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=second+life+free+hugs+naked+cock

First random link I clicked was the vid you wanted.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

coyo7e posted:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=second+life+free+hugs+naked+cock

First random link I clicked was the vid you wanted.

Thanks, I think.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Phenotype posted:

"It's their fault! They put the button there! If I see a button, I just have to push it!"

Poor user design can make for some nasty greifing.
One I recall from the early days of Guild Wars was there was an item that looked quite like what you brought to found a guild house.

A scam quickly kicked in by doing a trade swap with a similar item and this was expanded to black dye being swapped over for ink, and quest items being easily swapped with some random salvage.

Other such greifs was armour and weapon selling. This was a great newbie test as the game stated many times that armour was bound only to you and the game would come up with a box stating "this item is customised for so and so".
A fool and their gold are soon parted.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Aranan posted:

The best part was the one guy started bitching at us after he died, then came back and picked up another rod and killed himself again.

This is spectacular.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I kinda want to install Second Life just to see what this is about.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Slowpoke! posted:

I kinda want to install Second Life just to see what this is about.

It's about 11 months of therapy and a lifetime of mental scarring, all wrapped in lovely failed-my-poser-class level modeling and code so loving buggy you'll think about calling terminex.

P_R_Deltoid
Jun 4, 2009

Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother? I hurt people

teamdest posted:

lovely failed-my-poser-class level modeling

And it still runs like poo poo on any machine ever, even the Beowolf Cluster was chugging when the semen really started to fly and the dickgirl furries flew in from all directions.

Rabizzle
Dec 18, 2006
Hey I'm Rabid, the guy that ruined the erotic poetry event in that Second Life video with a bukakke blast. I was just waiting for someone to recognize the song I used for the dance but noone did. It was the Family Matters theme song.

Also if you want to get into griefing on Second life just hit me up ingame but you'll probably regret it eventually.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Rabizzle posted:

Hey I'm Rabid, the guy that ruined the erotic poetry event in that Second Life video with a bukakke blast. I was just waiting for someone to recognize the song I used for the dance but noone did. It was the Family Matters theme song.

I got it.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Everquest introduced the Racewar Servers as an alternative to the PK free for all servers. The idea was that you were against (and able to kill) all races that were not part of your faction. It was Shorties vs Humans vs Elves vs Misc. Evil. To prevent PK abuse, you were only allowed to attack people that were 5 levels lower than you or higher.

My answer to this setup was easy. I made a halfling warrior and leveled him up to 6 while using nothing but a rusty 2 handed scythe. I then smuggled him into the human city of Qeynos and begged some spellcaster to bind him in a somewhat hidden fountain room. From now on, every time my plucky halfling warrior died he’d reappear right inside the human newbie zone, ready to renew his assault.

He became a major nuisance to the newbie zone. He would wait for spellcasters to meditate at the gate, jump from hiding, stab them with his scythe, then run away before they could give chase. He’d drop level 2 humans to 10% of their health while they were busy fighting a giant rat. Guards didn’t even protect the newbies from my shortie terror because he had just enough faction to be considered neutral and therefore not kill on sight.

If some human barbarian took offense and gave chase I’d run into town and launch a guerrilla-style game of hit and run. Thanks to my size, I was able to hide behind countertops and jump through bank windows. Often the only sign of my presence would be my scythe poking over the top of a windowsill.

I got lots of angry tells, but I also got some people that were interested in joining the fun. More level 6 halflings were smuggled into the human newbie zone, and the Halfling Hit Squad was created. We were always careful not to level up past 6 (so we could attack anyone), not to carry anything but a single weapon (weapons were the only non-lootable items in PK combat), and not to deliver too many deathblows (killing PCs dropped our precious Human guard faction). Sometimes we rushed out in waves, disrupting the newbie zone and bringing leveling to a halt. Other times we raided inside the city of Qeynos, stabbing people in the back while they shopped, used the bank, or (best of all) were AFK. We were always annoying, and thanks to our nearby bind point we were impossible to put down for more than 30 seconds.

The Halfling Hit Squad may be the most fun I ever had in Everquest.

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant
Warning: long post is long.

Odyssey:Parsec

There is an old 2D mmo called The Odyssey Online Classic, it's been around for well over a decade I think at this point and has had numerous spin offs and clones using the same or modified source code from the game (which I believe was open sourced a long time ago).

Anyways, our story here begins about 5 or so years ago, there was a custom server called Odyssey:Parsec run by a guy named "Lic". This server was nothing really special, it was fairly simplistic and had some pretty amusing bugs, but the community was insanely obsessive and OCD about everything in-game.

Like all online games with a small community, it's very easy to develop cliques and rivalries grow very strong in a short period of time since all the regulars know one another. Parsec was no different and soon many rival factions were established. The rules of engagement on Parsec were simple, there were 3 types of maps, red - free for all, white - guild pvp, blue - safe zone. If you were an unguilded player, you were safe in most areas. Being a more solo kind of player I stayed un-guilded for a long time and built up a huge amount of wealth due to rarely dyeing.

That all changed one day when Lic introduced a very large addition to the game in the form of guild housing. Guild housing was a limited commodity (there were maybe a dozen or so accessible spots in the game) and as the number of active guilds were larger than the number of guild houses, players quickly scrambled to buy housing.

I, being a stealth class, soon found myself breaking in to guild houses to be a very fun and profitable experience. This, in itself, was a fantastic way to grief people and was pretty easy to pull off. All it required was a bit of social engineering and patience. The trick to getting into guild housing was that only guild members could open the doors to their respective guild hall and guild bank room (a large room where you could leave items on the floor for "storage" and they would not disappear like items left on normal ground). As I mentioned earlier, being a stealth class I would sit in stealth right outside the entryway to a specific guild I wanted access to then call out in the broadcast (global chat) channel that "zomg raid on XXXXX come quick for free loots!1!". This would prompt numerous tardy members of XXXXX to recall to their guild hall only to find it empty. I'd soon see /b fill up with messages of "Zenodice is a liar and a fag, lolo101010", the plebes would shout as they ran to check their guild bank and then out of the hall to go back to their leveling. At this point I would quickly sprint past them and run right into their bank room.

This by itself was a pretty big "win", since I was now free to take what I wanted and leave, but I took it one step further. Once inside, any player could open the doors to the outside like a normal guild member, so I would leave my main character stealthed there in their bank and start a second instance of the game. I would then make a lvl 1 alt and run him over to the hall, make sure the coast was clear and then I would quickly run my main over and open all the doors, running the alt right into the bank. At this point, it's important to note that you could log a character off anywhere and that position is saved so when they log back in they are in the same place. With my mole planted in the guild bank, I was free to log in whenever I wanted to open the guild doors with my mole to let my main in. Making sure to log off the mole as soon as the doors were opened and he was safely back in the vault.

It was quickly noticed that items were disappearing from guild halls and nobody had any clue who or what was responsible. Lic tried, in vain, for months to figure out how these items were disappearing to no avail. Eventually I grew exceedingly more rich and founded a guild that was solely for me and holed up in a very hard to get to guild hall in the form of a tower. From there I continued my assault on the other guild banks and at one point had an alt in every single guild hall that was owned by an active guild.

Eventually, after numerous guilds disbanding due to in-fighting and accusations of thievery from each other, Lic himself discovered me by using a new "ghost" account he had made which was invisible and could follow players. Instead of being banned, he complimented me on virtually eliminating the various guilds in the game through subterfuge and deception. He then coded guild banks to not allow players to log in to them (logging inside a guild bank would teleport you outside the hall when you logged in). While this stopped my alts from accomplishing anything, there was no way he could code anything to stop stupid players from opening up their own doors while I crept in stealthily.

This went on for months until Parsec eventually shut down, nobody ever knew it was me that stole all that stuff (despite being arguably richer than most guilds put together) other than the server owner, myself and a few real life friends that I got in on the scam.

Zenodice fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 9, 2009

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
The best part about that is that the guy running the server didn't get all butthurt after he realized you were responsible for it, especially if he really spent months trying to figure it out.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's an awesome use of an exploit. I love it.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

Lonjon posted:

Often the only sign of my presence would be my scythe poking over the top of a windowsill.

The image of this part cracks me up way more than it should, haha.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

This thread has been a fantastic read.

I have a few Everquest stories to add. I would get bored from the grind and look for dumb poo poo to do. One of the best places for this activity was Kelethin, a city built into the trees. Kelethin was only accessible by 3 elevator platforms. I don't remember everything I managed to do with it, although it was easy to get NPCs in the city to bug out and run off, making them hard to access. There was a spell in EQ that set where you would return to after you died. This spell set the precise location on the map where you would respawn. I managed to convince a newbie to let me bind him right after he jumped off from Kelethin, which meant that he would respawn in midair from a fatal height over and over. He later told me that he had to restart his computer in order to do anything, since his computer wouldn't have enough time to reload the zone before he would die again and it would start over.

My best attempt to grief players involved a place called the Plane of Hate. The god of hate and a bunch of fairly high level creatures lived there. The only way to get in, I think, was via wizard teleport. My guild was supposed to go one night, so I bought the reagent and memorized the spell to go (you can only cast spells that you have memorized, and there's only 8 memorize slots), but the event was called off. The spell teleports the entire group into the plane of hate without any warning.

The next day, I was playing with some random group and decided to cast the teleport spell while we were fighting something. So there we are, fighting a few enemies when everyone in the group is zoned into the plane of hate. As soon as the zone loads up, I teleport myself the hell out of there. Out of the other 5 members in my group, another managed to get out, but the other 4 were slaughtered. Now, in Everquest, you have to get back to your corpse to retrieve your items. Since the only way to get back there was by wizard, that meant that those 4 people were left equipmentless and itemless. They all started screaming at me and I replied with 'Oops, accident, I didn't know I had that spell memorized'. They called a GM on me, and the GM, being unable to determine whether it was an accident, only gave me a warning. I think I decided to quit Everquest after that.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Fun Shoe
Although this one was small time griefing, it was one of my favorites:

Everquest had an illusion spell that one of the low level spellcaster classes could easily get. It was pretty useless – it basically changed you into an immobile image of whatever you were targeting when you cast the spell.

When I was bored I would hang out in a newbie zone, drop a coin on the ground, then cast the spell while targeting the coin. Then, once I looked like a coin instead of a person, I’d pick up the real coin and go AFK. People would spend amazing amounts of time trying to figure out how to pick me up from the ground.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Zenodice posted:

:words: From there I continued my assault on the other guild banks and at one point had an alt in every single guild hall that was owned by an active guild.

That's not only an amazing form of griefing, it's actually quite ingenious. It's a shame things like that cannot (as of yet) occur in larger MMO's like World of Warcraft. I'd consider buying it and paying the monthly fee for a little while just to make people's lives hell.

e: I guess I should point out that I'm aware Guild Banks can get robbed in WoW, I just think the physical (or perhaps virtual) act of entering some place that you are not supposed to be and looting absolutely everything to be a much more violating way of ruining someone's fun on the internet.

fennesz fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 10, 2009

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

fennesz posted:

That's not only an amazing form of griefing, it's actually quite ingenious. It's a shame things like that cannot (as of yet) occur in larger MMO's like World of Warcraft. I'd consider buying it and paying the monthly fee for a little while just to make people's lives hell.

e: I guess I should point out that I'm aware Guild Banks can get robbed in WoW, I just think the physical (or perhaps virtual) act of entering some place that you are not supposed to be and looting absolutely everything to be a much more violating way of ruining someone's fun on the internet.

Things like that could be done in UO, to a slightly lesser degree, and were harder to pull off, but they definitely happened. Until they carebeared the gently caress out of the game, etc. etc.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lonjon posted:

Although this one was small time griefing, it was one of my favorites:

Everquest had an illusion spell that one of the low level spellcaster classes could easily get. It was pretty useless – it basically changed you into an immobile image of whatever you were targeting when you cast the spell.

When I was bored I would hang out in a newbie zone, drop a coin on the ground, then cast the spell while targeting the coin. Then, once I looked like a coin instead of a person, I’d pick up the real coin and go AFK. People would spend amazing amounts of time trying to figure out how to pick me up from the ground.
I think someone earlier in this thread had a hell-arious recount of abusing the Illusion spell to gently caress with people. Don't remember where in the thread or who it was.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

coyo7e posted:

I think someone earlier in this thread had a hell-arious recount of abusing the Illusion spell to gently caress with people. Don't remember where in the thread or who it was.

What I'd do with this: Become a magic sword or some other fancy magical item. Place yourself in an easily overlooked nook in a dungeon or something. Try to convince adventurers to "pick up the sentient weapon."

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
re: the minor illusion spell. In the early days of Everquest there was no limit on the size of objects you could become. A popular one was to become the entire floating building in Freeport where Mages Trained (I believe that was it, it's been so long)

My favorite was becoming a giant boulder and hiding the entrance to the entrance to the Eastern Commonlands tunnel (a major tunnel which many people used as a central meeting location in the early days of the game).

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Fizzle posted:

re: the minor illusion spell. In the early days of Everquest there was no limit on the size of objects you could become. A popular one was to become the entire floating building in Freeport where Mages Trained (I believe that was it, it's been so long)

My favorite was becoming a giant boulder and hiding the entrance to the entrance to the Eastern Commonlands tunnel (a major tunnel which many people used as a central meeting location in the early days of the game).

What was the end plan as the floating building? Did people jump to their deaths trying to enter you, or successfully enter you only to fall when you transformed? Or just wander around wondering where the NPCs were?

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!
Im not reading all the pages so I dunno if another goon has done this but I loved to grief my teammates back in the TFC days.

I hate the 2fort map so I would join a game with that map and make a heavy and then in the main spawn area I would sit my fatass in the door leading out. What I would get is a bunch of angry teammates shooting at me 'cause they cant get out and rockets wont move me.

Being a scout and getting myself infected on 2fort was a LOL itself as well, I would go into my spawn and infect everyone that would come out of the little spawn room, sometimes a medic would be healing everyone and I would run from him only to infect the people he just healed.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Hakkeshu posted:

Im not reading all the pages so I dunno if another goon has done this but I loved to grief my teammates back in the TFC days.

I hate the 2fort map so I would join a game with that map and make a heavy and then in the main spawn area I would sit my fatass in the door leading out. What I would get is a bunch of angry teammates shooting at me 'cause they cant get out and rockets wont move me.

Being a scout and getting myself infected on 2fort was a LOL itself as well, I would go into my spawn and infect everyone that would come out of the little spawn room, sometimes a medic would be healing everyone and I would run from him only to infect the people he just healed.
Brilliant, spawn-blocking and infecting teammates in spawn. Indubitably the most creative and hilarious griefs to ever grace the game, if only TFC had friendly fire so you could just teamkill instead, hilarity! :jerkbag:

There were some great ways to grief on TFC though. On 2fort I liked to go sniper and intentionally snipe my teammates off the battlements, since in TFC a fully charged sniper shot will strip a teammate of armor and send them flying without damaging their health.

Now before steam, I don't think F10 would quit but the dumb answer to any question was always Alt+F4. Instead I tried to trick players into typing unbindall in the console, because my 12-year-old self was dumb enough to get tricked into doing just that and it was the cruelest poo poo ever. Your mouse still looks around, but you can't move or shoot or even hit ESC to quit the game. They have completely locked themselves out of their own computer until they either figure out how to Ctrl+Alt+Del or reset their computer. Cue me dancing around the now immobilized player and shooting him out of spawn with a sniper rifle so he can watch himself get killed.

I'll never know what they would have typed if they were able to, but I immensely enjoyed imagining what it would be.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sanctum posted:

Brilliant, spawn-blocking and infecting teammates in spawn. Indubitably the most creative and hilarious griefs to ever grace the game, if only TFC had friendly fire so you could just teamkill instead, hilarity! :jerkbag:

There were some great ways to grief on TFC though. On 2fort I liked to go sniper and intentionally snipe my teammates off the battlements, since in TFC a fully charged sniper shot will strip a teammate of armor and send them flying without damaging their health.

Now before steam, I don't think F10 would quit but the dumb answer to any question was always Alt+F4. Instead I tried to trick players into typing unbindall in the console, because my 12-year-old self was dumb enough to get tricked into doing just that and it was the cruelest poo poo ever. Your mouse still looks around, but you can't move or shoot or even hit ESC to quit the game. They have completely locked themselves out of their own computer until they either figure out how to Ctrl+Alt+Del or reset their computer. Cue me dancing around the now immobilized player and shooting him out of spawn with a sniper rifle so he can watch himself get killed.

I'll never know what they would have typed if they were able to, but I immensely enjoyed imagining what it would be.

Relatedly, getting people to put "bind mouse1 kill" in the console of GoldSrc games was endless fun. "Oh, looks like someone shot you just as you were about to shoot! Better luck next time!"

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
My favorite on 2fort was playing a spy, grenade jumping into the enemy's spawn. Then waiting for the 'inner' spawn door to open and run inside. (The room folks actually spawn in, with no turret.) Then back stabbing folks as they spawned.

Also conc jumping up ontop of the skybox in Well. (Clip through the wall in the flag room by standing ontop of one of those sewer pipes. Conc to the tall room above the battlements, then conc to the sky box.)

A neat thing you could do on hunted is trap someone in the sewers if they chase after you, since only the snipers could open the sewer doors/grates. (God I miss that map.) Also hiding underneath the truck in the garage and shooting the vip about 30 seconds after they spawn.

Senor P. fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jul 11, 2009

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

Pope Guilty posted:

Relatedly, getting people to put "bind mouse1 kill" in the console of GoldSrc games was endless fun. "Oh, looks like someone shot you just as you were about to shoot! Better luck next time!"
I told people that it replaced the mouse1 attack with a special console command that automatically kills whoever they are looking at. Also because bunny-hopping was a hot topic in TFC I had some gimmick binds for 'W' that I told people would make them bunny-hop automatically when it actually did something annoying like got them stuck in a crouch position or wait 5000 ticks then make them spin in circles until they died. Why can't I ever trick people into doing poo poo like that anymore, I mean there's always a fresh generation that doesn't know better. Not enough people even use scripts in TF2, just getting someone to bring up their console is asking too much.

Binding a key to detdispenser in TFC was practically a grief in itself. Put a fully supplied dispenser somewhere roughly near the flag and as soon as you hear your flag has been stolen hit the key to detonate it and gib some unlucky sucker. I had it bound to 'Q' and I never missed a beat when someone grabbed our flag. That poo poo pissed me off monumentally when I was on the receiving end, but it rarely happened so I can only imagine how I made other people feel getting them twice in a row just as they nab the flag.

membranoid
Feb 25, 2001

fart huffer
semen chugger
Back in WoW's BC era I was a pretty active arena player, I wasn't amazing, but I was pretty good. So one night I get recruited as my rogue to join a mage and a priest for 3s. I have no clue who they are so a plan started forming. They asked me into vent and I joined and didnt say anything till we completely owned the first match then I key into vent, with some bluegrass music blaring as loud as I could so that I had to yell and say "gg y'all". It was quite silent for a few moments and then they queued up again. Now this time I'm keying up all through the match talking as inbred as I could possibly talk with bluegrass blaring in the background and kicking some rear end on my rogue, we ended up going like 10-0 for that night, but for some reason they didn't want to arena with me anymore.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

McNerd posted:

What was the end plan as the floating building? Did people jump to their deaths trying to enter you, or successfully enter you only to fall when you transformed? Or just wander around wondering where the NPCs were?
iirc from previous stories about this, you could pretty much superimpose your character over an important object, and prevent people from interacting with the actual object. My memory may be faulty but I know this was definitely doable on a smaller scale from multiple stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

A church for one

membranoid posted:

Back in WoW's BC era I was a pretty active arena player, I wasn't amazing, but I was pretty good. So one night I get recruited as my rogue to join a mage and a priest for 3s. I have no clue who they are so a plan started forming. They asked me into vent and I joined and didnt say anything till we completely owned the first match then I key into vent, with some bluegrass music blaring as loud as I could so that I had to yell and say "gg y'all". It was quite silent for a few moments and then they queued up again. Now this time I'm keying up all through the match talking as inbred as I could possibly talk with bluegrass blaring in the background and kicking some rear end on my rogue, we ended up going like 10-0 for that night, but for some reason they didn't want to arena with me anymore.
Awww why would they do that? I have a handful of people on my steam friend list who I add solely because they have a funny sounding speech impediment or accent and I giggle just hearing them talk. Makes for some amusing times when my friends need an extra person to fill a lobby in L4D and I invite some korean guy that barely speaks a word of english. Two of them I can't even figure out, they might be elaborate trolls or they might be the angriest, most nasally voiced nerds to ever play FPS games. They are so over-the-top I just can't tell, but if they are trolls they never break character.

Anyone that's comfortable yapping on the mic despite creating awkward silences is A+ in my book.

• Locked thread