Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Gremlin posted:

This one looks pretty awesome but is more than I am trying to spend: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1255101834.html

I'll have you know that i've spent two hours now browsing Craigslist wishing I had the cash to blow on more motorcycles thanks to that link.

But anywho, there are some more modern bikes that have a sorta retro styling, like this one! I'm not sure where you are exactly, but this is in Sacramento.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/1255290283.html

Wikipedia tells me that "The Zephyr offered the customer retro styling coupled with simplicity and reliability. Performance of the line was adequate for normal riding and the engines were tuned for low to mid range power." And of course, since Wiki says it, it must be true. They also say this model was discontinued, sadly, so I wouldn't know how parts would be for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Engine parts are pretty easy to find, considering they used that same design for about 20 years. :v:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

UserNotFound posted:

My 82 Suzuki GS has only required 2-3 metric socket/wrench sizes (not including oil plug or spark plug sizes), and regular old screw drivers so far...and if you know someone with a torque wrench you could borrow, you'd have everything.

This. All you need to do general work on a Japanese bike is 4 sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm and whatever size your axle bolt is, a good set of hex/Allen keys and flat and Philips head screwdrivers. Maybe a hammer. Job done.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Don't forget whatever size your oil pan drain bolt is as well. Mine's a 17mm which doesn't appear anywhere else on my bike lawl.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

IntrepidInventive posted:

Would you say it's good preparation at all for a "real" bike?

Are you comfortable on two wheels? If you are and want a motorcycle I would just buy a motorcycle. Those little mini-bike things are fun but don't prepare you for riding on the street.

IntrepidInventive
Nov 28, 2008

Ah shouldn't give advahce in E\N, Jennay
I just don't want to kill myself. I have... speed issues. I want something that is going to top out at like 60 or 70. Are there any popular bikes in that power range?

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

I just don't want to kill myself. I have... speed issues. I want something that is going to top out at like 60 or 70. Are there any popular bikes in that power range?

A 250 like a Rebel or Ninja will do the job.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

There's a fair number of 250s that don't seem to have a whole lot after that if you aren't willing to really wring them out. Look at Nighthawks, TUs Ninjas, in the 250cc range.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

2ndclasscitizen posted:

This. All you need to do general work on a Japanese bike is 4 sockets: 8mm, 10mm, 12mm and whatever size your axle bolt is, a good set of hex/Allen keys and flat and Philips head screwdrivers. Maybe a hammer. Job done.

For some reason my old KZ has 13mm nuts scattered everywhere. Its stupid because there will be a 13mm nut right beside a 14mm one. What the gently caress Kawasaki.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

8ender posted:

For some reason my old KZ has 13mm nuts scattered everywhere. Its stupid because there will be a 13mm nut right beside a 14mm one. What the gently caress Kawasaki.

Are they all the same style bolt? My KLR came covered in the flanged type with the smaller hex heads, but you can't get those at Home Depot so if I ever need to replace any I have to switch to the regular, larger hex.

(Unless I want to fight with the local bolt supply shops, which i've found is a bit of a crapshoot as to what they'll actually carry)

IntrepidInventive
Nov 28, 2008

Ah shouldn't give advahce in E\N, Jennay
Thanks for the suggestions. There's a guy in my area with an 85 Rebel, and I really like the way it looks, but he's only looking to trade, not sell, so I guess I'll just keep my eye out.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Still waiting for my free bike, browsing on Kijiji found me this:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-1978-honda-cb-550-W0QQAdIdZ140223284

It looks great to me. Any input from the UJM guys?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-1978-honda-cb-550-W0QQAdIdZ140223284

I have absolutely nothing against a CB550, however, as a matter of personal taste I really don't like the all black bike. Also, I personally would never spend that kind of cash on that bike.

Regardless of my taste, it looks clean and well done.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

VTNewb posted:

I have absolutely nothing against a CB550, however, as a matter of personal taste I really don't like the all black bike. Also, I personally would never spend that kind of cash on that bike.

Regardless of my taste, it looks clean and well done.

Besides the color, then. No concerns?

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Besides the color, then. No concerns?

None that I know of. I had a CB750, but a friend had a 550 for a while (sold it after a year). He had no problems. I had no problems.

You can find the standard litany of problems old bikes have, charing, carb issues, standard fork seal or dead rear shock problems. All worth checking on, but that bike looks like a complete package.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DrakeriderCa posted:

Hey human being, buy that loving Suzuki before you buy that! :colbert:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

I'm not sure whether this is an endorsement or not

"They're awful, but if I find another one at a good price I'll buy it!"

Would you say it's good preparation at all for a "real" bike?

That's what I used to perpare for a "real" bike....

If it sounds like I'm damning it with faint praise, I'm not really. Like any bike, the Trail 90 has an intended use and if you operate in that envelope, it's brilliant. As a street bike or a highway commuter, it'll suck. As a neighborhood bike, or a bike for exploring off road trails and such, it's superb.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Hey human being, buy that loving Suzuki before you buy that! :colbert:

gently caress you, pussy! That bike is hot, and it isn't 5 hours away from me.

Although that Suzuki is pretty nice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'll take a look at it and buy it for you if need be.....

and then ride it up there and take the funds out of your girlfriends rear end.

Edit: Or moms.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

DrakeriderCa posted:

Handsome bike. Price is about $1600US, maybe a tad high but you can probably talk them down a couple hundred.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
I'm currently w/o a bike, I sold my '94 Magna and '85 GL1200A over the winter... I've got a chance to pick up a '82 KZ1000J2 for short money. It was involved in a recent accident (test ride after bringing it out of mothballs, ironically enough) that wiped out the left engine cover and alternator rotor, other than some cosmetic issues (turn signals, speedo cover) it looks to be in pretty good shape. The engine was done over by a race shop several years ago; balance and blueprinted, punched out to 1100cc, etc. The engine only has about 300 miles on it, the bike as a whole has 12K on it IIRC.

Anyone have any experience with these bikes? I know they're popular police bikes, so I guess they can't be too unreliable, no? Do the '82 bikes handle better then the earlier models, I've heard some "widowmaker" remarks about those...

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Great loving bikes. I'm partial to the GS1000 and GS1100, but you can't go wrong with the KZ1000. Maybe consider some suspension upgrades -- Progressive fork springs/rear shocks. Better brakes couldn't hurt - braided lines, new front calipers. I don't know of anything specific to the 1982 year, maybe someone better versed in old Kawasakis could provide better advice.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

I'll take a look at it and buy it for you if need be.....

and then ride it up there and take the funds out of your girlfriends rear end.

Edit: Or moms.

Deal. I won't tell her though. Surprise sex is the best sex.

I finally got to look at my free bike today. It's definitely worth what I'm paying for it. It's been laid down in the past - broken signal light, bent handlebars, bent footrest, some scratches. Mostly cosmetic. It's going to a shop tomorrow morning to get sorted out, hopefully I'll be riding it by the end of the week. :D

If it ends up being a poo poo show, I'll take it to the bikeyard for $$ and pick up that CB550.

Gremlin
Aug 9, 2002
Any opinions on this?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/1258928613.html

Logue
Nov 16, 2005
Hmmmmmm, might have found a possible first bike

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1252682936.html

The low miles for that age kinda worries me tho. From what I'm reading, low mile old bikes could have problems with seals and bushings. Are there any specific issues I should look for?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Logue posted:

Hmmmmmm, might have found a possible first bike

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1252682936.html

The low miles for that age kinda worries me tho. From what I'm reading, low mile old bikes could have problems with seals and bushings. Are there any specific issues I should look for?

Quite amazing that the other vehicles in the picture are just as old/older.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Dry rot with rubber and nitrile is certainly a possible issue with any old bike, but that one appears in fantastic shape and likely stored either covered or indoors which certainly helps (UV accelerates and worsens the issue).

Any bike over 10 years old can have issues, but I'd certainly be interested in it as it looks super clean from the photos. He appears to be some sort of old school vehicle guy too based on the cars in the driveway.

Check it out!

Logue
Nov 16, 2005

slidebite posted:

Dry rot with rubber and nitrile is certainly a possible issue with any old bike, but that one appears in fantastic shape and likely stored either covered or indoors which certainly helps (UV accelerates and worsens the issue).

Any bike over 10 years old can have issues, but I'd certainly be interested in it as it looks super clean from the photos. He appears to be some sort of old school vehicle guy too based on the cars in the driveway.

Check it out!

Saw it today. It wasn't as pristine as I had hoped and had some surface rust it looked like. Is that stuff easy to remove from headers with some brillo?

Also, I mentioned this in the question thread, but it stumbled every so often when idling a tiny bit (idling at ~1400). Is that idle set too low? The seller said he cleaned and rebuilt the carbs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

The rust might come out, depends how deep it is. It'll probably always be discolored a bit, but really, those factory pipes always seemed to discolor a bit anyhow.

Personally, I think 1400 is a bit high but I admit I'm not familiar with those so I cant say... and I certainly am not a carb wizard. I know enough to get into trouble but I certainly will defer expertise or advice to those here that know their poo poo better than me. :)

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Okay i'm seriously looking into riding in about a month or so (i'm taking the MSF course) and can't really figure out what bike would be good for me as a beginner and what a good deal would be. I'm about 6 feet tall and about 200 lbs 23 years old, A 2008-2009 Kawasaki ninja 250r would run between 3500-4500$ (used ones seem to cost about the same as new ones) while a used SV650 would run roughly the same price for a decent used one.

Question is, will a 250r suit my needs for commuting up/down hills in the California bay area? Will I get bored of it fast hence should the SV650 be a better idea? I'm not really looking to race or track my bike or travel any more than 75mph on the highway.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Buy an older 250, pre-facelift, and flog it for a year or so and then you'll have a good idea of what you want. Bonus is that you can sell it for what you paid for it if you shop around a bit.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Yesterday I went on my very first bona fide motorcycle ride on a 1982 Kawasaki KZ750. My friend, the owner, said he wanted to sell it for $800. He threw the both of us around a hilly neighborhood in DC and it was quite fun. The bike was quite loud and fast (I'm my entire previous motorcycling experience on a 50cc scooter). It has a Vance & Hines muffler system on it.

How is it as a beginner bike? Reliability, etc.? He said that it gets 30-35 MPG, is that true? He also said it's rock-solid bulletproof when it comes to reliability.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
^^ Sounds like a pretty fair price for it. I get ~45mpg average from mine, but it's a bunch of years newer. :v: Also, I think it would be fine as a first bike, provided it's not physically too large for you.

infraboy posted:

Question is, will a 250r suit my needs for commuting up/down hills in the California bay area? Will I get bored of it fast hence should the SV650 be a better idea? I'm not really looking to race or track my bike or travel any more than 75mph on the highway.

There's always the GS500 and EX500 if the 250 doesn't fit your frame. They're also perfectly acceptable starter bikes, and will do freeway trips (and carry pillions) no problem.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

the walkin dude posted:

How is it as a beginner bike? Reliability, etc.? He said that it gets 30-35 MPG, is that true? He also said it's rock-solid bulletproof when it comes to reliability.

Its a pretty decent bike. Seems to have a cult following despite having what I would consider inferior engine and styling to the KZ650. For reliability it should be good if he's been taking care of it. Lots of parts are still available and they're really simple to maintain.

Great starter bike as long as you're comfortable on it and the price is right.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alright, so I've been planning for the last little while to supplement or replace my KLR, either with something like a 650-up GS, KZ or CB, or a Weestrom.

This just popped up locally. It seems a little dear for something that's supposed to have suffered a year's depreciation (can get one in town new for a hundred or so more), but on the other hand that's a shitload of farkles I don't have to buy (and some I can pull off and resell). What says CA?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phy posted:

Alright, so I've been planning for the last little while to supplement or replace my KLR, either with something like a 650-up GS, KZ or CB, or a Weestrom.

This just popped up locally. It seems a little dear for something that's supposed to have suffered a year's depreciation (can get one in town new for a hundred or so more), but on the other hand that's a shitload of farkles I don't have to buy (and some I can pull off and resell). What says CA?

Worth at least checking out. That's too much for it, though, see how much he's willing to come down on the price. Those farkles that you sell may or may not take it down to a reasonable cost.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Worth at least checking out. That's too much for it, though, see how much he's willing to come down on the price. Those farkles that you sell may or may not take it down to a reasonable cost.

Seems like everything I look at is inflated around here. What do you figure's reasonable (in $Canadian)?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Probably around between $7500-ish would probably be fair. Actually, at his KMs probably no more than that.

Phy, depending on how modern you want to go there seems to be a shitload of quality medium displacement bikes for sale a little further south than you. Not too many really new ones (other than cruisers) but lots of 1980-2000 standards, sport bikes, even the odd sport tourer.

Might want to look at Kijiji and Craigs for Lethbridge and the Hat.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

slidebite posted:

Phy, depending on how modern you want to go there seems to be a shitload of quality medium displacement bikes for sale a little further south than you. Not too many really new ones (other than cruisers) but lots of 1980-2000 standards, sport bikes, even the odd sport tourer.

Might want to look at Kijiji and Craigs for Lethbridge and the Hat.

Oh yeah, I have been checking those as well. (Every few hours, in fact. Some dude had a DL650 posted out in the Hat, but when I contacted him he said he'd taken it off the market because it was just too much fun. The jerk.)

I haven't forgotten about that Tempter, but for reasons I can't clearly articulate I'd prefer to go I4 if I go old. There's a Nighthawk S and a KZ750 (84, so the I4 not the twin) that I've been particularly interested in.

Phy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 12, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There is an early 80s XS1100 literally around the corner from my house. It appears to be in quite nice shape from my quick drive-by. If you're interested in something along those lines, I could get you some info.

Looks like this, except with all the body panels and I think it was re-painted to sort of a candy-apple.

Only registered members can see post attachments!