Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

After consuming my tea and watching a couple of episodes of Generation Kill (it's amazing, by the way) I started idling listlessly around the flat. I found my fellow nerds playing video games, including my flatmate and good friend inexplicably playing Forza 2, a realistic racing sim that I got free with the Xbox 360 2 years ago and played perhaps once. After watching him race and thinking it would be more fun to just smash into people instead of racing, and bouyed by the knowledge that griefing always cheers me up, I got the idea of trying to do it against people instead of bots - "Maybe someone out there will cry some delicious pubbie tears of rage for someone ruining their super realistic racing sim", I thought.

God, was I right. There are five things about this game which make it amazing for griefing.

One - you cannot kick people once the game has started, you can only do it in the lobby.
    Two - if you drive backwards around the oval circuit and smash into someone going as fast as you can while they're going as fast as they can, their speed is reduced to 20mph tops and any chance they have of winning is out the window completely.
    Three - if you *nudge* people and ding their bodywork, it significantly decreases their top speed.
    Four - you cannot mute people (!!!)
    Five - if you play with collisions off (i.e. ghost cars), it makes it much less fun (no such thing as tailgating or weaving in and out, physics is less realistic etc.)

Enter Hardass0001. By the name, you would have thought he was an American, but his rolling Bristol accent told another story.

I initially joined his game with limited expectations with 9 other drivers and caused havoc right off the bat, slowing down initially and then going full speed into the racing line on the first corner, knocking everyone in circles and ruining all their cars. Sadly, it appeared two other people had also had the same idea as me and were trolling. Our host Hardass0001 was yelling to see who the gently caress was ruining his game, so quick off the mark I immediately started hurling expletives about the the two other trolls and the two people I had crashed into, whose protestations of innocence and almost perfect feedback records (mine is zero positives and about sixteen negatives for extended Halo 3 griefing) counted for nought - he cancelled the game and banned all four. His Bristolian tears of rage were so satisfying I had to string this fish along.

After sitting in the lobby muttering in full agreement about "wankers ruining his game", I accepted his invite to play and started again. My plan this time around didn't really change; I got two corners in and then T-boned him on a corner at full speed, spinning us both round 180 degrees, bringing us to a complete stop and 100% damaging both our cars.

:argh:"God-drat it, Clamps, you loving smashed into me deliberately!" he yelled.
:v: "No I didn't! You smashed into me! What the hell are you talking about?" I yelled back.
:argh:"An orange viper just zipped right up my arse and smashed me into the wall, and it was loving you!" he screamed, now almost apopleptic with fury.
:v: "Bullshit, you liar! I was undertaking you on that corner and YOU veered left sharply and smashed into ME, sending ME spinning out!", I replied, loudly.

We back and forthed on this for ages, and he quit the game to the lobby again. He eventually restarted the game again with collisions off; for some unknown reason he didn't ban me, even though he was repeatedly threatening to check the automatically recorded video of the race - I told him to go ahead and see that I was right. My iron-solid conviction, rhetoric and vehemence swayed him, and he let me play in his game again - this time with collisions off. At this point he noticed my connection bar was red, indicating a bad connection from me to the game. Not surprising - there was unlimited torrenting going on in the background.

The game started and we got five or six laps in, all the while with me yelling at this guy. Then something awesome happened. As we were playing this, and he saw I was somehow (having never played this game before, I was just as amazed as him) winning against seven other people, that I was playing properly, and in the face of my constant protestations of innocence, he got the idea that it was lag that caused the previous smashes and that he *had* actually crashed into me, and I was completely innocent.He decided to apologise and to restart the game with damage on. Again.

It went something like this -

:shobon: "Dude, OK, I believe you, I'm sorry, I think with the lag I did actually crash into you. I'm looking at the replay and it's jerky as hell. Let's play again with no loving around to make up for it, okay man? Sorry for yelling at you."

That's right - in one of the most spectacular exercises of doublethink I have ever seen, not only did I convince him that he crashed into me and ruined my racing experience when he clearly loving didn't, I also made him feel guilty for doing so, apologised, and then invited me back into his game for a fourth time. By this point I was wondering if the dude had ever even been on the internet.

My flatmate at this point - who was listening in and giggling away - was in absolute hysterics, and dropped a full can of beer all over the laminate flooring living room floor, curled up on the couch, nearly crying with laughter.

There was one more golden moment to be had. I had been racing an orange Dodge Viper for all the previous races, and he invited in three other people who had not raced before - all of whom decided to drive orange vipers. I thought I could get a bit more fun out of it and started to play properly for a while, having earned Hardass0001's trust. Sure enough, on the first corner of the third or fourth lap I nudged him moderately hard (slamming into someone damages their bodywork, which is not repairable at the pits and permanently reduces their speed by circa 20%, meaning no matter what they do they can't win the race any more) and then immediately slammed the brakes on, allowing two other orange vipers to pass me.

:argh:"GOD loving drat IT, CLAMPS, THAT *WAS* YOU! YOU'RE IN THAT loving ORANGE VIPER AGAIN!" he screamed hoarsely.
:eng101: "No, look man, check, there's an orange viper in front of you who overtook! It was OrangeViperDude!

Cue OrangeViperDude (or whatever his name was) protesting his innocence and accusing me, and another round of screaming accusations - and me almost ending myself laughing, wondering how long I could string this out.

Not much longer. I blew it soon after - My 90 minutes of fun was up. Hardass01 had clearly had enough, slowed down, and was yelling about quitting to play Rainbow Six, so I decided to go all out. I saw him sitting stationary at the side of the track, and swooped wildly in and tried to smash into him - but was going at over 200 miles an hour and couldn't turn in time, thus missing him by inches and zooming away again, trying to look innocent.

:argh: "Did you just try and crash into me?" said he.
:v: "No!", expectorated I.
:argh: "YOU BLOODY DID, YOU LIAR! YOU WERE LYING TO ME ALL ALONG! YOU MADE ME KICK ALL THOSE loving PEOPLE AND WASTED AN HOUR OF MY LIFE AND IT WAS YOU ALL A-loving-LONG!" he yelled.
:v: "I was just trying to turn the corner, man, this is an oval racing circuit!" I retorted.

He said nothing coherent further after this point, having finally twigged what I was doing, and quit in a pissy, fuming rage shortly after. I admitted all to my racemates, who spewed forth a torrent of abuse, and retired, my task complete; I was feeling like even I couldn't abuse these :shobon: people any more.

I advise every goon out there to get a copy of Forza (it will be about :10bux: now) and ruin someone's evening. It is deeply, deeply enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
Driving games are natural greifing field.
Firstly there's the skill factor as the more realistic ones are a challenge to play, then there's the brand factor as people will pick cars based purely on their mythical reputation.

The people who run racing sims live for lap times, getting the best lines and a sense of sportsmanship that is religious.

If you want to reduce a 40 year old man to rage and tears then I suggest you unearth Grand Prix Legends, GTR 2, Live for Speed.

But be warned unlike most sims this is an insanely elitist atmosphere where any "loving ricer kiddies" will get banned ASAP.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
That reminds me of when I was playing the first Forza on Xbox Live a while ago. I actually played through most of the game properly, trying to unlock/buy a bunch of cars and get the hang of the game so I could do well online. Usually the people I played with were pretty cool about things, and generally the atmosphere was reminiscient of PGR2, relaxed and focusing on fun.

I got into my 5th or so race online and was starting to relax a bit too much, I guess. I was on the Atlanta Raceway course and there are two short 90 degree turns after a long straightaway. It was a fairly hard for me to stay on the line of those turns, and the car I was using didn't help, so I ended up jostling around a couple of the people by accident.

The next thing I hear over the headset is "Man, what's wrong with you, kid? Cut it out and play right!" or something like that. I half-heartedly apologized, partly because I wasn't expecting to get yelled at for something like this, but then I got an idea. On the last lap, I just barreled down that straightaway and slammed into just about everyone on that corner. My car was the most damaged out of everyone, but they all just lost their MINDS. I was too busy laughing my head off at this to care either way. Then I went back to PGR2.

macka_x
Feb 3, 2004
Litany of Curses
My flatmate (a keen racing enthusiast) used to play that game fairly seriously using my xbox live account as it was the only gold one in the house. Over the course of that month my approval stars dropped quite a bit, down to 2. Now he was playing this game seriously and not intending to piss anyone off but if you bump into one of these Forza Nazis you get yelled at and given a bad rating fairly quickly.

I can definitely attest to the Forza community being way too serious business.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I remember once playing a game of Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 4 with a friend of mine who took F1 far too seriously. I hadn't intended to grief him at the outset but he spent so drat long customising the downforce and gear ratios for his car (literally 30 mins+) that by the time the race started I was well and truly pissed off, so as we got to the first straight I just nudged my car into his front wheel causing his car to take off, fly up into the air before smashing back into the tarmac losing all 4 wheels.

He quit immediately and wouldn't talk to me for a few hours. :smith:

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
You guys should like get together and offer your services to game companies, like the way bank security people use ex-theives to test their safes and locks and such. A dozen goons in one room, a hundred clueless pubbies in the other, and an otherwise functional game. Not QA- QA is meant to break the games. You would be breaking the players.

We could cal it "Grief Counseling" or something.

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

GetWellGamers posted:

You guys should like get together and offer your services to game companies, like the way bank security people use ex-theives to test their safes and locks and such. A dozen goons in one room, a hundred clueless pubbies in the other, and an otherwise functional game. Not QA- QA is meant to break the games. You would be breaking the players.

We could cal it "Grief Counseling" or something.

But if we did that, and game developers actually spent more than 15 minutes thinking "Now, how can people on the internet ruin our game for the other people playing the game?" then a large amount of the pleasure I get in my otherwise semolina-bland life would be ruined.

So no :colbert:

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.

Clamps McGraw posted:

Forza hilarity

I would be more impressed with this, if I wasn't from Bristol and aware of how incredibly gullible we all are. Nevertheless, great job on your subterfuge.

To contribute a story that is leagues less interesting or funny, there was a module on some Neverwinter Nights servers which was a Lord of The Rings-esque setting, with an exploit in one of the early quests which could be used to get infinite XP. I used it to create a max level Rogue/Shadowdancer/Assassin, allowing me to stealth in plain view and backstab for a hideous amount of damage. Queue me roaming the wilderness, backstabbing random players so hard they exploded in a shower of gore.

I don't think that exploit was ever fixed, as far as I know.

Zeerust fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jul 14, 2009

Saultine
Jul 14, 2009

It's just like a mini-mall!
Maybe some fellow WoW players will appreciate this one, WoW griefing seems to be near and far between seeing as Blizzard is quick to catch any griefing opportunities.

During BC, when Black Temple wasn't out yet and most guilds were just starting to clear SSC and TK, there existed on Firetree US server a guild called PETA. This guild was generally regarded as one of the worst guilds on the server, not in terms of progression but in terms of general stupidity of it's leadership and members. I decided this would probably be the best guild to test out a new scam idea I had heard from a friend.

Guild banks had recently been added to the game, and most guilds stored massive amounts of items that would be worth some real wealth. A guild would typically give access to it's guild bank to only officers. This is the weakness that my friend noticed. If someone could find a way to pose as an officer, there was a good opportunity to not only grief, but to make quite a bit of money in the process. I decided I would try to make a level 1 character with a name very similar to one of PETA's officers and feed the guild master some bullshit about how my account got suspended for a few days and I'm on a friend's account.

For the next couple of days I got the names of all the officers from WoWArmory and tracked what time each of them was likely to be online. I found one that was offline at about the time I was usually on and decided to try my scheme out. I made a character with the officers name, ran to a major city so I'd have quick access to the bank, and whispered the GM. She bought my line of bullshit and invited my to the guild, and instantly promoted me to Officer. I went into the guild bank and sure enough, officers had access to all tabs. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to totally clear the bank, as they had a "10 stack withdrawal per day" rule set.

I took 10 stacks of enchanting mats, laundered them to multiple friends who were also in on it, then logged off and deleted the character. I then created the character with the same name and deleted it again, hoping that would throw any GM investigation off.

I then proceeded to sell all of the enchanting materials for ridiculously cheap prices in trade chat so I wouldn't be caught when they find out and report it.
I bought the Hippogryph mount from Cenarion Expedition rep with the money. I never received any account action whatsoever, and later found out that a member of PETA was accused of taking the guild bank and subsequently kicked. He also received a 3 day ban, since the guild master told the GM's that he did it.

I had a good laugh when I heard of this poor guy taking the blunt of my exploits!

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

So, Halo 3.

These are ideas that have been used to great effect by myself. I'm not sure how many of you will find these funny; I'm sure I'll get accusations of pedestrianism, but it always inspires rage and makes me grin. Most of this stuff is done in the Big Team Battle playlist (most pubbies at once)

VIP Griefing
If you are lucky enough to get this playlist, and have it not get vetoed, you are absolutely golden.

Get a friend, and repeatedly kill each other, forgiving each team kill. You will end up getting -1 on your team score for each TK, and no-one can kick you for it. If people see you, start yelling "I'm killing the VIP! That's what you're supposed to do!"

Even better, if they quit, they lose XP. You'll get people literally incoherent with rage. I've managed between myself and my friend to get a team of colonels, brigadiers and generals to lose to privates and corporals; They scored about four times as fast as the other team but we went -15 each, when the score to win is ten - we lost our team over 30 points total and the other team won 10-7. I got so many angry XBL messages for that one. There was a Spanish guy literally threatening to kill me.

Mass Racism Accusations
Feeling petty and vindictive because some level 50 just stomped your entire team? Get everyone on your team at once to file an Xbox Live complaint - Communications / Verbal Harassment / Racial or Sexual Harassment. I only tend to do this when playing properly with 7 friends, mind. (Yes, I have 7 friends.) I've only managed to get people to do this twice, but 8 racism reports at once gets a gamertag banned, and fast (it works well when playing with people with stellar records who don't normally grief, much less suspicious) - they don't keep logs of XBL chats (how could they?) so they have to go on the reports.

This doesn't have the immediate joy of some dude screaming down the mic at you, but it is bloody gratifying to see a guy's 4 star general gamertag with over 5000 matches and some absurd 5:1 kill/death ratio completely deactivated forever just because he had the audacity to beat you once and feel slightly smug about it. I can only imagine how insanely angry and perplexed the dude must be when he gets the email saying he's been permanently banned from XBL for racism when he's probably never uttered a serious racist word in his life.

Getting In The Way
Pretty simple, this one. Jump into the either the Team Snipers playlist or BTB, and repeatedly stand in the way of people trying to play properly. Time it so that when you see them crouch to zoom, you jump in the way of them. You'd be amazed how angry this makes people, they'll often TK you just for deliberately getting in the way for even 2 minutes.

If you're REALLY lucky they'll fire and headshot you just as you do this, killing you, and allowing you to kick them for teamkilling (you can also grenade yourself to make sure they kill you with a body shot.)

Another variation is on Valhalla, hiding on the central column as your team is driving their full Warthog back to your base. Jump down intp the water in front of them as they're barrelling along at full speed - they'll never be able to slow down in time, and will run you over, allowing you to kick them for teamkilling. A lot of the time on BTB, people driving full 'hogs are either two guests of the host or flatmate geeks with multiple XBL accounts on the same XBox, so you can often kick three or four people at once.

This is especially amazing when it's 2-2 in a really closely fought game and your team is bringing back the flag for the win, and as you kick them and the warthog suddenly just stops dead and the flag falls out of it, start loudly declaiming on chat how :byodood: "those loving noobs" ran you over and you kicked them for it. People will realise what you've done and will explode with anger when your team then inevitably loses.

Oh - and stand right next to people firing Spartan Lasers and get in the way just as they're firing. It'll kill both of you, and you can probably kick him for it.

Persistent Uselessness
There are a lot of variations on this one.

1. On a CTF game, pick up the enemy flag, bring it back to your base - then stand four or five feet away from the capture point, looking perplexed, asking your team-mates what to do. Deliberately mis-interpret their advice - for instance, on High Ground, bring the flag back to the beach cap, and then run it into the water.

:downs: "OK guys, I ran it back to the beach like you said, and I'm standing in the water, but it hasn't captured! What now?"
:argh: "......"

Play this out as long as you can before they get angry and TK you, at which point you of course kick them.

2. Do the same on an Assault game - get hold of the bomb, and gently caress off in entirely the wrong direction, or better, go back to YOUR base.

:downs: "OK guys, I got the bomb, and I got it to a base, what now?"
:v: "Take it to the enemy base, for gods sake, you idiot!"
:downs: *sounding sarcastic* "I am ALREADY in the base, genius."
:v: "You're in our base! Go to THEIR base!"
:downs: "What? I can't do that, they'll kill me!"
:v: "God-drat it, give me the bomb!"
:downs: "How do I do that? If I drop it it'll explode and kill me!" (It won't.)
:v: "It won't! For fucks sake, just press R-trigger and drop it!"
:downs: *Pressing A (i.e. jump) repeatedly* "That's just making me jump up and down!"
:argh: "!!!!!!!"

Again, string it out as long as you can. Try and be as :shobon: as possible. They will always eventually TK you to get the bomb, whereupon you kick them.

This stuff actually takes a bit of skill, mind - you have to be good enough to get into the enemy base, or get the oddball or bomb or whatever.

5 player Grifball
Get 5 people into the lobby, and start up the Grifball playlist (only available once a month or so.) This game is teams of 4, with an American football style gametype where you have to drop the "ball" (a bomb) into the enemy's goal. If you get it in, you score, and it's best of 5. Everyone has gravity hammers and energy swords, and because it's so easy to betray people that there's no penalty for teamkilling.

If you have 5 people in your group, the matchmaking will put 4 on one team, and 1 on the other with 3 random pubbies. That means you have a double agent who is free to murder his own team with absolute impunity for the whole match and never be able to be kicked - and if they quit, they lose xp.

Again, though, the best one is when you play properly for almost the whole match, go 2-2 - and then get your double agent to swipe their ball carrier with his energy sword just as he's about to score the winning goal, then turn and murder everyone who's backing him up. ERUPTIONS of rage, every time.

The Irritant
Choose one person on your team, and stick to them like glue. Keep shooting their shields off constantly, but never kill them - so that when an enemy does turn up, they'll die really quickly. Do nothing but chase them down and piss them off. Be as much of a persistent idiot as possible, and they will always get annoyed and kill you, allowing you to kick them. My greatest achievement in Halo 3 griefing is having 3 people quit and kicking every single other person on my team in a 8v8 match, leaving it 1v8 - it's actually really hard to do this, as when the enemy team outnumbers you so much, they kill you so fast you can't piss them off.

Bad Driving
Driving Warthogs provides endless opportunities - like driving a Warthog with the flag carrier in it then getting a mate to grenade me slightly, ostensibly knocking off the edge of the map (but having driven straight off) and then apologising for my lovely driving, but saying it was due to a grenade. The key is the grenade impact - it doesn't count as a teamkill for me driving the dude off the edge then. Rinse and repeat - I've had guys (and GOOD guys, colonels and brigadiers) getting into my hog with the flag three or four times before finally getting pissed and refusing to get in my hog.

I'm sure there are more. I'll try and think them up!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Clamps McGraw posted:

Persistent Uselessness
There are a lot of variations on this one.

1. On a CTF game, pick up the enemy flag, bring it back to your base - then stand four or five feet away from the capture point, looking perplexed, asking your team-mates what to do. Deliberately mis-interpret their advice - for instance, on High Ground, bring the flag back to the beach cap, and then run it into the water.

One variation I'd use back in the days of TFC: on 2fort and its ilk it wasn't uncommon to see extremely front-heavy defenses on pubbie servers. Some defenders would just set up camp in the ramp room and ignore the flag area altogether, since anyone trying to take the flag would have to go through their camping ground anyhow; if they saw an alert that the flag was taken they'd just have someone turn around and camp the top of the spiral. Thus there was a good chance that if you grabbed the flag and just hung out in the enemy flag room that the enemies would never disturb you at all, so you could chill in the enemy base while preventing your team from scoring any captures.

Then it's just a matter of announcing "AFK", sitting back, and watching your teammates scream at you when they finally realize what's going on. If friendly fire was off they would have to either try to convince the enemies to go hunt you down--yeah right, since 1. pubbies don't listen to their own team let alone enemies, 2. not even pubbies are stupid enough (usually) to fall for an enemy instructing them to leave their heavily-defended base perimeter on a wild goose chase, and 3. really canny pubbies will realize that the situation works to their advantage anyhow--or else switch teams to hunt you down themselves.

Sometimes I'd use this tactic for the explicit purpose of getting teammates to switch/ragequit to balance out lopsided teams, but I'd still do it just for shits and giggles too. Sometimes it came in surprisingly handy as a technique for legitimate captures too; instead of trying to fight your way out through a gauntlet of defenders, just wait for a few minutes until they get bored and go back to watching the entrances.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Clamps McGraw posted:

Mass Racism Accusations
Feeling petty and vindictive because some level 50 just stomped your entire team? Get everyone on your team at once to file an Xbox Live complaint - Communications / Verbal Harassment / Racial or Sexual Harassment. I only tend to do this when playing properly with 7 friends, mind. (Yes, I have 7 friends.) I've only managed to get people to do this twice, but 8 racism reports at once gets a gamertag banned, and fast (it works well when playing with people with stellar records who don't normally grief, much less suspicious) - they don't keep logs of XBL chats (how could they?) so they have to go on the reports.

This doesn't have the immediate joy of some dude screaming down the mic at you, but it is bloody gratifying to see a guy's 4 star general gamertag with over 5000 matches and some absurd 5:1 kill/death ratio completely deactivated forever just because he had the audacity to beat you once and feel slightly smug about it. I can only imagine how insanely angry and perplexed the dude must be when he gets the email saying he's been permanently banned from XBL for racism when he's probably never uttered a serious racist word in his life.
Dude. I know the concept of "griefing rules" is pretty much bullshit but that's a douchebag thing to do beyond any "having fun by annoying people" standard.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Dude. I know the concept of "griefing rules" is pretty much bullshit but that's a douchebag thing to do beyond any "having fun by annoying people" standard.

Seriously. Normally I love griefing stories because of how angry people get over petty things, but this is just stupid as hell. Getting someone's tag banned just because he managed to beat you in a game? Man, you're fuckin' terrible.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Clamps McGraw posted:

Mass Racism Accusations

That's just being a loving poor sport.
Greifing is pretty much undermining others by using what the game gives you in imaginative and cruel ways without causing severe harm, at the worst a player has to resurrect and buy back stuff.

None of what you posted really is greifing, just being an annoying wanker in games and abusing the ban system.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Halo 3 didn't have much griefing opportunities, but one night my best friend and I were on his Xbox Live account and I got bored playing the actual game, so every time I spawned I started grabbing the nearest Mongoose and driving willy-nilly around the base honking my horn incessantly. MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP MEEP

He started doing the same thing, and after a few games of that we started to actually follow our teammates very closely, still honking, alerting the enemy to our position. Bonus when someone would hop on the back of one of our Mongooses (Mongeese?) and expect a ride somewhere--I'd immediately drive to a useless edge of the map: the beach, if it had one, or some remote corner where nobody was playing.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.
Halo 3 griefing stories reminded me of what we used to do while playing it in our dorm. Not sure if this counts, but one of my roommates would voice chat as a ~12 year old kid that we once played with. We would lose spectacularly and then he would explain in a high pitched voice how next time he was going to "diarrhea in their mouths."

Yes, that is a direct quote from the kid we beat that we stole. The reactions we get are the best, ranging from "what the christ, gently caress kid" to "you didn't diarrhea in nothin'."

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Yeah, people really hate it when you drive around in the Mongoose honking like crazy in Team Snipers.

I also love grabbing the objective and doing jack poo poo with it. Not only is your team then down a man, but they can't score without killing you. Clamps was exaggerating, though. One teamkill does not mean a boot option will appear. It's kind of random, but I think it depends on your recent record and stuff like that.

I've also found a great way to grief in Halo 3 is finishing off your teammates. As long as the enemy takes their shields down, anyone can give them a shot to the head and it will count as a kill for the enemy. Works very well in Team Snipers, when it's either a one shot or two shot kill every time. I'm pretty sure that you can also take their shields down and then have the other team finish them off, but not 100% on that.

My account still has more than 30% approval rating somehow. Guess I'll have to try harder :v:

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

I didn't say that that one was proper creative griefing - I said it was petty and vindictive, right at the very start of my post. Halo 3 is not exactly a game where you can do a lot of game breaking stuff so you have to bend the "griefing rules" a bit. Also I should have probably said that the couple of dudes I did it to were being absolute assholes to everyone on the team, and teabagging people on the same team and stuff. I realise that goes against my "slightly smug about it" point but well, you know, comic effect (sadly misplaced, I like to think I'm funnier than I am.) I only ever did it to a couple of people who (kind of) deserved it; I'm a pretty crappy player and have been stomped loads of times without being a dick about it, unless they're a total dick about it too.

I should probably stop doing this though you're right :unsmith:

Shut Up posted:

Clamps was exaggerating, though. One teamkill does not mean a boot option will appear.

I seem to get it maybe 80% of the time after a single team kill. Right enough, it's not every single time though.

Shut Up posted:

I've also found a great way to grief in Halo 3 is finishing off your teammates. As long as the enemy takes their shields down, anyone can give them a shot to the head and it will count as a kill for the enemy. Works very well in Team Snipers, when it's either a one shot or two shot kill every time. I'm pretty sure that you can also take their shields down and then have the other team finish them off, but not 100% on that.

God dang I'm gonna have to try this!

edit - grammar, can't use quote tags

A CRAB IRL fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 14, 2009

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Clamps McGraw posted:

Halo 3 is not exactly a game where you can do a lot of game breaking stuff so you have to bend the "griefing rules" a bit. Also I should have probably said that the couple of dudes I did it to were being absolute assholes to everyone on the team, and teabagging people on the same team and stuff. .... I should probably stop doing this though you're right :unsmith:

They beat and mocked you so hard you got together all your little friends and went running off crying to teacher saying they were being super mean to you.

Are you the griefer in this story, or the griefed?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Nobody likes a snitch. Or a sore loser.

Thanatos Mazus
May 30, 2007
Obscure
I have a minor griefing story.

Right when Warhawk was released for the PS3, there were a bunch of players obsessed with getting all the rank ups and such, so it seemed like a perfect time to start griefing people. A fellow goon and I decided that blowing up the vehicles was too simple, so we decided to misuse them instead. All of the vehicles can support carrying more than one person, so getting someone to ride in a jeep or warhawk with you isn't really that difficult.

Our favorite thing to do was to hop in the jeeps and beep the horn at people until they got in. Usually this only took one beep, but some people need convincing in the form of repeated beeps of the horn, ramming into whatever vehicle they were trying to get to, etc. After loading up the jeep with as many people as it could hold, we would promptly drive as fast as we could right off the edge of the stage or directly into an enemy tank.

After doing this to one player, he flipped out and started screaming about how awful my friend and I were, mocking our scores and such. We decided to see how far we could push this guy, because if one jeep suicide made him flip out and start screaming, surely he would melt down with only a small push. My friend and I each got jeeps, and started following him around our base while issuing a torrent of beeps. He flipped out and started his best toughguy routine.

:argh: Beep one more time, I dare you!
:v: :v: Beep Beep Beeeeeeeep
:argh: That's right, I CONTROL you! You're a bitch!
:v: :v: Beep Beep~~
:argh: Man gently caress you guys in your loving jeeps :supaburn:

Random people on the team started to join us after that, grabbing up all the base's jeeps and following this guy. He started screaming at the rest of the team, and eventually ragequit. We tried this again recently, and people still flip out over being beeped at. v:v:v

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.
I actually got a kick out of the Surprise! You're banned for racism! story. Microsoft's banning system sounds remarkably open for abuse. Perhaps if abuse like this happened more often and was shown on Kotaku or what have you, Microsoft would re-evaluate their ridiculously aggressive stance on stopping the bad men saying nasty things.

...yeah, right. The really funny thing about that story is that Microsoft's position is completely loving hopeless. They can either ban accused accounts and inevitably end up banning innocent customers, or they can not have a banning scheme and have mothers everywhere go completely loving nuts because somebody called her Michael a gay friend of the family and Microsoft aren't doing anything about it!

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Can you still not admit to being gay on Xbox Live? They'll ban you so you don't get made a target of. :downs:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Ahh yes beeping, I and some mates got kicked from a BF1942 game for deciding to communicate only in morse code via the beeping of jeeps.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
My favorite part about this thread are the people who get all lovely with the "you're not griefing properly :colbert: you're just an rear end in a top hat" attitude. The mass racism accusation is hilarious.

and battlefield games have always been perfect for vehicle abuse. my favorite was always loading the blackhawk with C4 in BF2 and detonating it the second it took off with a full crew

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

Mystic Mongol posted:

They beat and mocked you so hard you got together all your little friends and went running off crying to teacher saying they were being super mean to you.

Are you the griefer in this story, or the griefed?

Good point.

I got off scot-free and he lost his account with two years of play and 5000 games, though, so it's pretty much 50/50. v:shobon:v

(Yes, it's already been pointed out that I'm a douchebag.)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

teh z posted:

My favorite part about this thread are the people who get all lovely with the "you're not griefing properly :colbert: you're just an rear end in a top hat" attitude. The mass racism accusation is hilarious.
One time I sent this one guy a virus and it completely trashed his computer and he lost all his files and coding stuff he'd been doing for three years and some pictures of his dad (who was dead, lol)
:cry: OH NOOOO I LOST MY STUFF OMG THIS IS SO TERRIBLE I'M SAD
:c00lbert: Deal w/it
I'm the best griefer ever

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant
There is no doubt that what clamps posted was indeed griefing.

He caused someone else grief by abusing a flaw in a system or mechanic or by using the mechanic/system in a means contrary to what it was otherwise intended for at the detriment of another player(s).

Whether or not it was a "dick move" or makes him a "jerk" is irrelevant. I'm not saying I think it was ingenious or amazing either, it's kinda lame actually. In my opinion, the best griefs always involve causing as much rage and e-damage as possible without affecting someone in real life (the goal obviously to be to gently caress with people who take themselves/the game, too seriously).

However, it should be noted that once griefers start having standards and ethics (a "griefers code" if you will) they can and most definitely will find themselves on the receiving end of some griefing. So really, the question becomes "where do we draw the line?", which I think ultimately depends on how ruthless people can be to complete strangers without feeling personal guilt over it.... but I digress.

Say what you will about what clamps did, but there's absolutely no doubt it was griefing, he exploited Microsoft's heavy handed report system by coordinating with a group of friends to get rid of some random pubbie.

I'd honestly never do the report grief personally, since I'm not huge on causing people real life consequences for my own actions (I, unfortunately suffer from having some kind of conscience). That being said, I won't say that it's not at least a bit amusing to think of some kid having a nervous breakdown because he lost his 35469050 gamerX-X points or whatever other bullshit xbox has. But that can be chalked up to personal bias since I don't hold most console gamers in very high regard as XBL tends to be dominated by mouth-breathing racist troglodytes.

Also, let's not rip on him too hard, that Forza griefing was pretty good stuff and a much more admirable piece of griefing and subtly.

Zenodice fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 14, 2009

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

teh z posted:

Yo, what's your gamertag?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

bbchops posted:

Yo, what's your gamertag?
*300 complaints of racism to his gamertag later...*

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
Griefing is making someone angrier than they have any right to be and observing the reaction for shits and giggles. It can be neutered or at least ignored if the target is mature enough.

Exploiting the reporting system to get someone's gamertag banned is not griefing, it's just being an rear end in a top hat.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

In the original Neverwinter Nights (and I suspect the sequel as well) there were a lot of hardcore "permadeath, gritty realism" servers, that made you stay a level 1 nobody forever. Deciding to mess around on one, I managed to unintentionally grief the server.

I made an elf rogue, with really high dexterity and decided to focus on ranged weapons and hiding. So I started up, and there was a camp at the beginning where you spawn, a small building, and an NPC. I started to head down the forest road, and in a very strange occurence (presumably) for these servers, I saw a random magic item laying off in the woods. I wondered what the hell was up with it, then I saw the giant grizzly bear standing nearby. I don't know if it was intentionally placed or someone had died and dropped it, but it was a Longbow +1, the perfect item for my character.

So I decided that I would get it, and if I died in the process, I would just make a new character and call it a day. So I activated my sneaking skill and to my amazement, managed to sneak past the giant bear and pick up the bow. Heading back to the road and feeling cocky, I equipped my new bow and took a shot at the bear. Well, of course, a bear being really strong, it barely damaged it at all, and suddenly it's rocketing at high speed towards me. I took off running back down the road towards the spawn (I hadn't really decided to do so intentionally, I just ran for it), with the bear hot on my heels. When I got back to the spawn, I was running circles around the place trying to lose the bear, and somehow, it got engaged with the NPC at the spawn, so I started hiding and went inside the building. A minute later I left, having learned my bear lesson and thinking no more of it, though the NPC was gone now.

Off on my adventures and showing off my cool +1 weapon to other people, people would intermittently say on the OOC chat "WHAT THE gently caress I JUST SPAWNED AND A BEAR KILLED ME THIS SERVER SUCKS" and "HELP DM A BEAR ATE ME AT SPAWN".

I was in a group at a time, and since this server was a hardcore roleplaying one, the leader (a ranger or something, I don't know), goes "We should hunt down that bear." I asked, "why don't they just run from the bear?" A halfling chimes in, "I saw a man running from a bear in the forest earlier." The leader tells him that you can't run from a bear, they're too fast.

Unable to resist, I said "You can run indeed from a bear, because that man was me." :smug:

(Sorry for the wall of text, and I know the story's a bit :goonsay:, but it was one of the most fun for me.)

Jzmisgoo
Sep 15, 2007

Jzm IS goo!!
If any of you feel like griefing easily just play on a somewhat full server of Team Fortress Classic and just say "Team Fortress 2 I a much better game than this." The amount of bitching that you will provoke will satiate your griefing hunger for the next year or so.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Zarick posted:

Unable to resist, I said "You can run indeed from a bear, because that man was me." :smug:
They forgot the old adage about running from bears. You don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than the slowest person in your group.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zenodice posted:

He caused someone else grief by abusing a flaw in a system or mechanic
Griefing is generally done to provoke hilarious reactions from people who take games way too goddamn seriously. In this case, he was the one taking it too seriously and in turn enacted a rather malicious type of revenge because some guy kicked his rear end at the video game in question. Most importantly, it wasn't very funny and got no hilarious response.

If you could send someone a hollywood-style virus that irreversibly fried their entire hard drive through a system flaw in Team Fortress 2, that would be causing someone else grief by abusing a flaw in a system or mechanic, but that doesn't mean it would be griefing.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Zenodice posted:

However, it should be noted that once griefers start having standards and ethics (a "griefers code" if you will) they can and most definitely will find themselves on the receiving end of some griefing.

Standards and ethics has nothing to do with anything in any way. Not having rules to follow doesn't make you immune to griefing in some mystical way. All someone has to do is interfere with what you are trying to do, or do something that makes you mad. I mean, we talk about coming up with unique and interesting griefs not out of some kind of griefers code but because this thread isn't entertaining with 5 pages in a row of people grenading a spawn point or something else old and done to death.

Getting someones account banned isn't griefing. It isn't in game and has nothing to do with playing the game, I could probably make an account online and file false reports on somebody without ever owning a 360, or at least without ever owning or playing the game.

And judging by this last page, I think teabagging in Halo 3 must be the ultimate grief if it gets someone mad enough to try and get your account banned. I guess it was a griefing story after all.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zenodice posted:

There is a difference between pissing someone off and laughing about it and making some guy lose 30 dollars just for playing a game.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

This one is more for long time Horde players in World of Warcraft. People will devote so much effort into helping me they will fly into a rage. The longer it goes the worse my spelling and grammar get and the more I misunderstand them. I've told people you cant link quests and argued with them over it, all over a quest I'm having trouble with.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zenodice
Mar 16, 2005
Oderint Dum Metuant

FuzzyPickles posted:

Standards and ethics has nothing to do with anything in any way. Not having rules to follow doesn't make you immune to griefing in some mystical way. All someone has to do is interfere with what you are trying to do, or do something that makes you mad. I mean, we talk about coming up with unique and interesting griefs not out of some kind of griefers code but because this thread isn't entertaining with 5 pages in a row of people grenading a spawn point or something else old and done to death.

Getting someones account banned isn't griefing. It isn't in game and has nothing to do with playing the game, I could probably make an account online and file false reports on somebody without ever owning a 360, or at least without ever owning or playing the game.

And judging by this last page, I think teabagging in Halo 3 must be the ultimate grief if it gets someone mad enough to try and get your account banned. I guess it was a griefing story after all.

As I said, I'm not condoning what he did, I do think he took it a bit too far. But technically, he was exploiting a fundamental flaw in a system to come to the ultimate result of causing someone else anguish. If you want to be a purist about it and define greifing the way I did, as a way to mess with people and not cause actual harm (which is what I adhere to), then what he did was not griefing.

But if you look at griefing as a means to an end, then yes, I'd say he was successful in his "grief".

I think the important thing we need to recognize here, is that there is a right way to grief and a wrong way. The right way would be the way some of us have described, the wrong way obviously would be the low brow poo poo like being a racist online or account spam like clamps did.

In any case, let's not get the thread bogged down debating the semantics of the word "griefer" and other bullshit, that's a little too serious business for my liking and would probably be best for another thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Getting someone's Live account banned is a "Grief" like calling the cops on someone and accusing them of a crime is a "prank". You're doing something malicious to somebody, sure, but I like to think the terms mean something a bit more specific and less... Scumbag-esque.

• Locked thread