Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Taratang posted:

Griefing is making someone angrier than they have any right to be and observing the reaction for shits and giggles. It can be neutered or at least ignored if the target is mature enough.

Exploiting the reporting system to get someone's gamertag banned is not griefing, it's just being an rear end in a top hat.
I wouldn't blink at getting someone's character banned or demoted to level 1 in most games, however banning an entire account costs someone money, and the chances are pretty good that they can't really afford to shuck out another 50 bucks for a new gamertag, etc.

I'd personally lump that in the same boat with sending harassing phone calls to someone you griefed online, for a followup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think Clamps McGraw is the real life equivalent of the prankster character Chris Walken played on SNL.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
getting a dude banned like that isn't funny. Not because its bad, but because its just not entertaining. I don't care if its a real grief or not because, either way, it doesn't make me laugh.

The rest of this thread is pretty much solid gold though. I'm glad someone else discovered the glory of Forza griefing. When I first had the game I made a BMW (forget what kind) and colored it as the "Frat-Mobile" with greek letters, beers, and various obnoxious things. I'd fly around the track, jabbering about my Dad's dealership, how I was too wasted to drive, and what not.

Surprisingly, it made them more angry when I raced normally and straight up beat them, versus loving around and crashing. Not the most epic of stories, but any time people take something way too seriously there is great opportunity for fun.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jul 14, 2009

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Clamps McGraw posted:

Good point.

I got off scot-free and he lost his account with two years of play and 5000 games, though, so it's pretty much 50/50. v:shobon:v

(Yes, it's already been pointed out that I'm a douchebag.)

So he lost...nothing? I'm a little confused about this whole xbox thing. Can't he just open up a new account for free? Or is it like steam where all the games are tied to your account?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't forget that if you get someone perma banned you won't be able to grief them again tomorrow. :v:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

So he lost...nothing? I'm a little confused about this whole xbox thing. Can't he just open up a new account for free? Or is it like steam where all the games are tied to your account?

Well he got banned from xbox live, and he has to pay in order to play online again. He could have possibly lost $50 if he bought gold for a year.

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

There is quite a few things that are tied to account, like all the downloadable content for some games like Fallout 3 like Operation Anchorage. So with a banned account you can maybe log in offline and play them, maybe not, but when the new DLC for Fallout comes out you will need to make a whole new game on a new account and hope your old account can be kept around to view the other DLC for it. So yeah, depending on what you buy it can be very much like Steam. There are indie and old school games for purchase too, like Popcap games.

gently caress the achievements and scores and junk, I just wouldn't want to beat someone in a game and have to repurchase a bunch of stuff because they got me banned. I mean, if he wants to play Halo 3 online again he will have to buy map packs over again and stuff like that besides the actual account.

Edit: I think an silver account is completely free, I didn't think anyone needed a gold account to play Halo, but there are games out there that do require a gold account. It's entirely possible the guy that got banned had no map packs or DLC or anything and just has to make a new silver account, but I kinda doubt it.

FuzzyPickles fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 14, 2009

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Poil posted:

Don't forget that if you get someone perma banned you won't be able to grief them again tomorrow. :v:

I agree. And it's not like you could even witness his anger. All you can do is imagine some guy somewhere got pissed off, which is downright boring.

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007
If you can lose that much with the way that the X-Box accounts work, then that's obviously at least as good a griefing as all the Eve stories. Going after someone that's obviously put a lot of time and effort into what they're doing is commendable when they take that as a license to act smug. If you can do it with a system that's completely ridiculous in how it's implemented, then that makes the plan so much better, and having a great result for so little effort rather than trying to beat them at their own game like some kind of internet superhero is what really brings it all together.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...

FuzzyPickles posted:

Edit: I think an silver account is completely free, I didn't think anyone needed a gold account to play Halo, but there are games out there that do require a gold account. It's entirely possible the guy that got banned had no map packs or DLC or anything and just has to make a new silver account, but I kinda doubt it.

To play with other people on Xbox Live, you need a gold account. In fact Halo 3 drove sales of Gold accounts through the roof upon it's release.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

WendyO posted:

If you can lose that much with the way that the X-Box accounts work, then that's obviously at least as good a griefing as all the Eve stories. Going after someone that's obviously put a lot of time and effort into what they're doing is commendable when they take that as a license to act smug. If you can do it with a system that's completely ridiculous in how it's implemented, then that makes the plan so much better, and having a great result for so little effort rather than trying to beat them at their own game like some kind of internet superhero is what really brings it all together.

Except with EVE those people can still play the game. This guy was banned from ever going online ever again with his account, and in order to play anything online he would have rebuy all of that content. You don't have to rebuy the game when someone blows up your ship in EVE.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

WendyO posted:

Except its something they actually spent real money on. its akin to smashing somebody's stuff up, because they acted smug to you. It doesn't take any intelligence or skill to do this.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The only griefed person here was the guy that got so butthurt about being beaten on a game that he went crying like a little bitch to get the other guy banned. Anything else was just sugarcoating.

Griefing is active, not reactive, he did what he did because the other guy got him mad. This is no more griefing than if one of those guys that flip out when someone crashed into them in Forza managed through some cleaver exploit to somehow erase your entire hard drive.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
"Dialing" in Chromehounds.

There are matches in this game where you destroy the enemy's base.

Any weapon in this mech game will eventually start dropping the farther they travel. What dialing does is to take this drop into account and hit the base from very far away with ammo that does not lose too much damage with distance.

Get a friend to scout out the base before you play a real match, pick a random spot, and dial in on the angle and direction until your weapon setup hits the base.

Then when you get in the game, goto your spot and start lobbing shots from over hills and behind buildings. The enemy will have to rush you to counter and it's very possible you can take it out before they even get close to you if they are using slow mech legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpP2buNSi1I&feature=related

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MeLKoR posted:

Griefing is active, not reactive, he did what he did because the other guy got him mad.
This is a good way to state it, thanks.

If you were walking along in WOW and some level 70 ganks your lowbie, then you log into your level 80 and fly across the game world in hopes of finding him, find him, and then kill him and sit on his body.. You still got your rear end kicked.

Bringing friends or bigger guns after the fact doesn't change the fact that someone just forced you to stop playing the character you had meant to play, and he probably caused you to waste 15 minutes to an hour to attempt to retaliate. If you were really unlucky, as soon as you gank the guy with your bigger character, his friends could come out and slap you down on the spot and scamp your MAIN.

There is a saying, "Resenting someone gives them power over you, when they probably aren't even thinking about you." You can't really grief in anger, unless you already have some extraordinarily great master plan you've been waiting to use..

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.

coyo7e posted:

There is a saying, "Resenting someone gives them power over you, when they probably aren't even thinking about you."

"For you, the day Bison graced your village was the most important day of your life. But for me... it was Tuesday. "

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

WendyO posted:

Yeah because following in-game rules and PvPing is akin to smashing someone's property (which is effectively what getting a gamertag banned does).

Awesome analogy!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

To be honest, it's dubious that this guy was even 'acting smug'. In the faceless world of online gaming, it's kinda easy to imagine the guy who's beating the poo poo out of you as a smug rear end in a top hat. It was probably just another match to him.

As for the XBox account - if it was banned, he would still have access to the XBLA titles saved to his hard drive (albeit without online capability), but anything not saved locally would be lost forever. Any Gold subscription time or Microsoft points he had bought would be lost too. I'm an average 360 player, and I estimate I'd lose maybe £100 or so if I was banned from XBox Live. Good thing I never beat this kid or his friends down.

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 15, 2009

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I think the griefing = pranking analogy is pretty apt, there's definitely a point where you just become a petty rear end in a top hat and it isn't funny anymore. Or as Penny Arcade put it:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I had just got done playing some TF2 where some guy kept killing me over and over again. I decided to keep my cool and not shout at him over the internet. So I figured out his IP and got his address from his ISP by pretending to be the police. Then while he was at work I snuck into his house and murdered his entire family. Ha ha! Taught that retard to be good at something!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

EVIR Gibson posted:

"Dialing" in Chromehounds.

There are matches in this game where you destroy the enemy's base.

Any weapon in this mech game will eventually start dropping the farther they travel. What dialing does is to take this drop into account and hit the base from very far away with ammo that does not lose too much damage with distance.

Get a friend to scout out the base before you play a real match, pick a random spot, and dial in on the angle and direction until your weapon setup hits the base.

Then when you get in the game, goto your spot and start lobbing shots from over hills and behind buildings. The enemy will have to rush you to counter and it's very possible you can take it out before they even get close to you if they are using slow mech legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpP2buNSi1I&feature=related

Wanna piss off someone in Chromehounds with a minimum amount of effort? Blow up the bases. Back when I played, people both sides would get pissed when someone blew up the bases instead of facing some uber-tricked out mech with guns that kill you in one hit. Its funny wathcing people try to explain to me that doing the objectives was a cheap tactic.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Zenodice posted:

But technically, he was exploiting a fundamental flaw in a system to come to the ultimate result of causing someone else anguish.

He exploited a flaw in the SYSTEM, not the actual GAME. That's a huge difference.
Quit being an rear end in a top hat and keep the retaliation (for what, I don't know. getting beaten?) in-game.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Agean90 posted:

Wanna piss off someone in Chromehounds with a minimum amount of effort? Blow up the bases. Back when I played, people both sides would get pissed when someone blew up the bases instead of facing some uber-tricked out mech with guns that kill you in one hit. Its funny wathcing people try to explain to me that doing the objectives was a cheap tactic.

There are two other ways to lose your e-hounour immensely in a match

Bunker rushers which were wheeled bots with really heavy close range weapons, you could do it with grenades but the most broken were Pile Drivers which were the only melee weapon in the game (i believe). You are supposed to use them as a last ditch weapon, but people would take the fastest moving mech bottom, load it with as many pile drivers as you can without turning into a snail and just blow by them and destroy the base in a few hits.

The result: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OizcTM4EEyE The dude is playing the practice map, but you can see how few hits he had to do than compared to grenades.

The other thing to make people go RAGING with anger was min-maxing the hell of the recoil system.

In the game there are mech movement bases for different jobs. Soldiers had normal legs which were medium speed but good on armor, scouts had either hover or wheels, Commanders had treads, but the legs this heavy gun took advantage were the sniper legs. Sniper legs were built to handle the recoil of sniper rifles but still be quick enough to move positions so they had to give up armor

The first few DLCs from Chromehounds were free. One of these were huge rear end Double Artillery cannons which were built for slow Heavy Weapon spider mechs. You might have realized that I used the word, "were".

People figured you could stick two guns on either side of the center mass and the recoil of both would cancel each other out. So you had mechs with fragile chicken legs running around like... well chickens.. able to either hit from far away or unload all four artillery shots point blank into the heaviest armored mech and leave them engulfed in flames as every single weapon is now probably malfunctioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4GaGdZ9fbY

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
Griefing is great because people get irrationally angry over video games.

Losing over a hundred dollars because I killed someone a few times in Halo 3 sounds like something to get legitimately angry about.

Like Battlefield and plane campers, Red Faction: Guerrilla multiplayer is pretty great for griefing if you get matched up with the right people. There was a player on our team for a deathmatch that was obsessed with grabbing a sniper rifle, finding a high up perch and missing every person he shot at. So I did him a favor and made the targets closer by collapsing the buildings he stood on. Every time he'd hunt for the "loving bitch rear end cheater" that ruined his sniping spots, but never noticed me standing innocently nearby with sledgehammer in hand. Sorry I thought it was team destruction, not team anarchy!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

In fight night round 4 you usually get 2 headbutts before a point is taken away. My favorite thing to do is wait until I get a few good shots in and I see their health starting to slide then I headbutt them. This almost always stuns them making for an easy knockout. Rinse, repeat and watch pubbies go INSANE.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

D-Pad posted:

In fight night round 4 you usually get 2 headbutts before a point is taken away. My favorite thing to do is wait until I get a few good shots in and I see their health starting to slide then I headbutt them. This almost always stuns them making for an easy knockout. Rinse, repeat and watch pubbies go INSANE.

FN3 let you knock people out illegally. The Ball shot KO was awesome.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I just finished a round of left4dead. I played the first half normal, then said I had to go but my dad wanted to try to play. I then just did all the normal stuff you would do to piss people off. Shooting witches and boomers, not healing anyone, using only the duel pistol, refusing to melee and taking forever to help out downed teammates etc. The best part was everyone being really nice and encouraging.

One new guy joined part way through the final level. While blinded I put 5 or 6 shotgun shots into his back putting him down. When he asked me what my problem was, everyone else told him to lay off, I was new, and it was clearly an accident.

I didn't really talk much because I was afraid they'd recognize my voice from before, but next time I'm going to do my best "confused old guy" impression the whole time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cojawfee posted:

I had just got done playing some TF2 where some guy kept killing me over and over again. I decided to keep my cool and not shout at him over the internet. So I figured out his IP and got his address from his ISP by pretending to be the police. Then while he was at work I snuck into his house and murdered his entire family. Ha ha! Taught that retard to be good at something!

I want pics and a newspaper link, or you're fibbing mister! :colbert:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

rino86 posted:

FN3 let you knock people out illegally. The Ball shot KO was awesome.

Even better in FN3, when you're in knockout mode, you can knock the other guy into knockout mode to turn the tables. Sometimes two consecutive headbutts can get you the save and the knockdown. Gee, sure is tough that it cost me a point on the cards this round, durrr.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

WebDog posted:

Driving games are natural greifing field.
Firstly there's the skill factor as the more realistic ones are a challenge to play, then there's the brand factor as people will pick cars based purely on their mythical reputation.

The people who run racing sims live for lap times, getting the best lines and a sense of sportsmanship that is religious.

If you want to reduce a 40 year old man to rage and tears then I suggest you unearth Grand Prix Legends, GTR 2, Live for Speed.

But be warned unlike most sims this is an insanely elitist atmosphere where any "loving ricer kiddies" will get banned ASAP.
Why is it that people that probably drive un-modded subaru WRX's and honda CRX's get incredibly snooty about people that actually like buying cheap imports and souping them up as a hobby? Any given ricer is going to be a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than some kid that likes to play realistic racing simulators, and I've never seen a realistic racing simulator.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Sanctum posted:

Any given ricer is going to be a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than some kid that likes to play realistic racing simulators.

Judging from the ridiculous spoilers you see everywhere that don't do poo poo, they're not necessarily more knowledgeable than anybody.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They may know what parts they need and perhaps some guy that can install them. Other than that, I think all they know how to do is turn the car on and drive it.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Sanctum posted:

Why is it that people that probably drive un-modded subaru WRX's and honda CRX's get incredibly snooty about people that actually like buying cheap imports and souping them up as a hobby? Any given ricer is going to be a hell of a lot more knowledgeable than some kid that likes to play realistic racing simulators, and I've never seen a realistic racing simulator.

because "any given ricer" is usually an 17-24 year old piece of poo poo who thinks a huge spoiler and a huge loving muffler = speed, and who drives like an idiot on highways trying to get people to "race". You want to willingly associate with that demographic? You think somehow that a hacksaw and bailing wire = knowledge?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I've been thinking about putting a spoiler on my A4 because the rear comes up around 110 MPH and by 120 I've lost most of my control. Guess this is the wrong place to ask for advice on where I could get a nice spoiler. :smith:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Well this is a games forum so yeah, probably the wrong place to ask.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just go to the parts shop in the menu and pick a spoiler you like.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

So yea, this guy didn't like the fact that on the new BF 1943 map I sat in our own gunner seat and blew up airplanes while people spawned and couldn't get on them. He told me to go to his stickam account and I could see myself pissing off him and other people. And now he's going to send Microsoft, who I'm sure care very much, PROOF to get me kicked out from "the community".

Bravo to you, sir XRKAHN. I even asked him to make a video clip for us here on Something Awful. Too bad he won't though. :(

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

drat, I did not expect a whole page of people yelling about me!

What you have to ask yourselves, though, is how likely is the scenario I posited - do you think that Microsoft would take seriously yet another bad player report from someone with a terrible rep and ban someone with a totally stellar one? Did it actually happen? Or was I just trying to elicit a reaction from you guys?

I'll never tell :v:

Rogaine Yoshi
Apr 10, 2006

by Ozma

Clamps McGraw posted:

drat, I did not expect a whole page of people yelling about me!

What you have to ask yourselves, though, is how likely is the scenario I posited - do you think that Microsoft would take seriously yet another bad player report from someone with a terrible rep and ban someone with a totally stellar one? Did it actually happen? Or was I just trying to elicit a reaction from you guys?

I'll never tell :v:
Well someone who was trolling would keep the act up SO!...
My guess is that you're a big human being either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saultine
Jul 14, 2009

It's just like a mini-mall!
This is a WoW grief, so here's a little bit of background/technical information about how the grief worked: In a certain zone called Nagrand, there are small floating islands about the size of a building way up in the sky that are only accessible to level 70s with flying mounts. The system on WoW to retrieve your corpse after death works by turning you into a ghost at the nearest graveyard within the zone, and you would need to run to your corpse to resurrect. However, if you died in some place that isn't reachable (such as a floating island), you would have to "Spirit Res", which means talking to a Spirit Healer at the graveyard as a ghost. Spirit Resing would inflict 75% durability to all of your gear, and place a 10 minute debuff on you that would decrease your stats, health, and damage done by 75%, rendering you useless for the duration, and costing you quite a bit of money in repairs. Warlocks had an ability that would allow you and another two players to summon people that are in your party to that location. Naturally, we found a way to grief through all this.

We set up the trap by looking up random people around level 65 and telling them some bullshit line about how we're doing group quests or making a group for the pvp event within the zone to get them into the group. I got a few of my Alliance friends on Ventrilo and had them sit up on top of the islands with us, waiting for the saps to come through the summon. We also had another Alliance player, Baconn, who was insanely notorious on Firetree for being a legendary ganker, sitting at the nearest Horde graveyard to kill them and camp them after they had to spirit res.

We commenced the summoning, noobs accepted, and got poo poo on by the Alliance. Most of them got marginally angry about this, and immediately spirit Resed. As soon as they would spirit res, Baconn would one shot them and thats when the real rage began. Much laughs were had at all of the noobs flipping out in all caps, screaming caustic insults about all of us that were in on it. One guy, however, took it to the next level of E-RAGE. I have never seen a person get so angry in a video game in my life.

This guy was one of those people you'd call an "internet tough guy". You could tell by the way he talked that he was a genuine e-thug. He absolutely went off on every one of us in broken English and all caps, flooding the chat window with obscenities and threats to our lives. He then flooded General Chat for the zone with even more insults. He then linked his MySpace and proceeded to tell us about how he can bench 300 pounds and could easily kick all of our asses with his arms tied behind his back. I took a look at his MySpace and sure enough, he was quite the "thug". His profile had a "Lil Wayne" background, a large paragraph about how much he can bench and how hot his girlfriend is, thug rap music, and pictures of his 24 inch rims.

I've never felt so proud of griefing someone.

• Locked thread