Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Suran37 posted:

That guy is a retard. He could have called a GM and gotten you guys banned or at least suspended for a few days.

I guess he could get in trouble for breaking an agreement, but really he voluntarily gave the guild over to some guy. At least give it to someone you know in real life or at least really well online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
The guy was an complete idiot and deserves whatever happens to his guild after the fact. Still, it's not like anything particularly clever or funny was done to get it, or even came of it.

Jerkules
Jun 29, 2007
Not as flexible as Gumbercules.

Suran37 posted:

That guy is a retard. He could have called a GM and gotten you guys banned or at least suspended for a few days.

Yeah, that's what I think too, I figured there had to have been something a GM would do. He said that he was going to report me, but nothing came of it so I'm not sure what happened there.

Rogaine Yoshi
Apr 10, 2006

by Ozma

Trainmonk posted:

Haha, doesn't matter what he said so far. If you don't read any of his posts and just look at all of yours, you guys all look like a bunch of bitches. It's hilarious.

Just saying.

i don't think calling someone a human being counts as being a bitch

human being

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Guild Wars

WoW has a reputation as catering to carebears, but Guild Wars is truly far more carebear friendly. Everything is instanced, so you can play completely on your own, or at the very least only interact with people you chose to interact with. No world PvP of any type, not that it would matter as death has no monetary cost, in fact the only effects of death are completely removed upon entering a town, which can be done instantly at any time. Item drops are assigned server end, so there is no need v greed or other rolling system to grief, there are also no equivalent of epic armors that drop.

Blame Shifting Monks in GW are the defensive/healer class and as usual in an MMO they are highly sought after. A couple of us joined a higher end dungeon group as the two monks. This dungeon costs money to enter. Immediately after joining we grabbed the quest NPC ran off and got him killed (which ends the dungeon and throws you out). As the two monks we say we ran off to heal him and pinned it on someone else. Got the leader to kick that person, get another, and repay to enter. We repeated this. After a while of talking in guild chat about it we began to fill up the group with our own members. The leader kept believing when we would all blame it on some new pubbie and all this time kept paying the entrance fee. Eventually we took over the group and kicked the former leader from his own group. We then left because we had no interest in farming that dungeon.

Death Riding Sometimes this would get a laugh out of a pub or sometimes tears. As with any MMO, the PvE in this game is absurdly easy. If we were running someone through a mission we might be 7 out of 8. We'd grab a pubbie and immediately let them die. We would still easily finish the mission with only 7 and if the pubbie just waited until we were done, they would get through as well. But usual mentality takes over and the pub is left back at the start screaming for us to rez him and how noob we were eventually raging the group and making no progress.

Alliance battles. Every other PvP mode (any of them that matter) in Guild Wars has players determine their team before entering. Alliance battles have you pick a team of 4, and then randomly pair you with two more teams of 4.

Spirit Squad Spirits in Guild Wars are comparable to shaman totems in WoW. Cast a spirit, it stays put where you cast it, and as long as it is alive (they are weak) they give some sort of effect; although the range of effect in GW is much larger than spellcasting range. We would get a group of 4 and bring every spirit in the game that we could slot. We would camp around the shrine in the middle and just cast spirits. The thing about spirits, is that they have no damage (the ones we brought that is) and a single person could run in and force us off. But because spirits show up in the compass as the same objects as players and spirit's effects show up in the buff/debuff monitor people were genuinely afraid to come anywhere near us.

What made this better were two spirits. First Muddy Terrain, this slows everyone down and makes all speed boosts worthless. In alliance battles almost everyone brings speed boosts and this affects everyone. The second was Nature's Renewal which makes all hexes and enchantments (debuffs and buffs) take twice as long to cast. These would elicit so much rage from both sides.

Minion Factory Necromancers that raise minions from corpses, which are more than plentiful in PvE, but never available when needed in PvP. Minion Factory Lets one of your team members suicide then constantly be resurrected to feed corpses to the minion master. This is great for creating rage for many reasons. During setup when you are constantly dying, for every death the opposing team gets points. This creates so much confusion on the other side and so much rage on your side. Back during the old days there was no cap on the number of minions, so you could generally start a match many points down, but then steamroll everything and get the entire other side raging on you.

Outside of alliance battles the PvP is non-random teams. Kind of like the TFC story where the scout capped backwards, to grief in these you have to be flat out better than your opponent. To no one's surprise the goon guilds in GW never approached competitive level, but we still got a fair number of people to rage.

Amity aka pussy mesmers TA is 4v4 deathmatch. 1 monk and 3 mesmers (mesmers are generally debuffers that specialize in disruption). What was special about this was pacifism and amity, two terrible skills that have never been successfully used outside of this isolated incidence; Pacifism makes a target unable to attack for its duration, but it ends early if the target takes damage, amity is the same except it is area of effect. The mesmers would shut down the monk and force the monk to use all debuff removal on itself, while their wariors and rangers were stuck with pacifism/amity and able to do nothing the whole match. In the meantime the mesmers would either interrupt the other casters or force them to take huge damage when casting. No one on their team could really do anything and we'd wand people to death (wanding is the very slow auto-attack damage of casters).

French Build TA again, this was a defensive spike build. Defense and just enough damage to kill one person. We would kill someone, then run around for a minute or two waiting for our skills to recharge. We would repeat this and very slowly kill teams one person at a time. Also had several snares to slow down the opposing team, ensuring that they would never catch us. All the time talking in all chat about running from ze germans.

Triple Monk TA teams almost always have a monk. Dual monks builds are obnoxious. Enter the triple monk. Usually not effective as this many monks ensure that you will never be able to kill. Two bonders that reduced damage by more than 75%, an energy denial mesmer, and an axe monk. To make this better, the axe monk maintained mending on everyone. To those not familiar with Guild Wars, mending is the joke of all joke skills. It is something (thanks to early developer made templates) that many new players brought and bad players swore by. This was of course why we used it, rather than a standard warrior which would have been more effective.

Sever, Gash, CLEAVE TA again. With limited attribute points and points put into weapon mastery increasing weapon damage, warriors never bring more than one weapon. Sever and gash are sword skills, cleave is an axe skill. To compensate for deliberately handicapping ourself, we brought three fully defensive monks to finish off the team. Mix in a drop of trash talking and eventually pubbies will rage after they realize they can't kill us. To this day this build has never been beaten.

Show me where they touched you TA again. Random Arena the randomly generated teams version of TA, has always had touch rangers. This was a build that was exceptionally effective considering the player only has to press 1 then 2 alternatively, very much the 'noob' build as it evokes rage in every single match merely by being in the match. After TA gained rewards for win streaks and we postulated how to get these in an efficient manner, one guys said to just use touch rangers. We brought a team of 4 touch rangers and wiped through many teams yelling and screaming about how they lost to touch noobs.

Heroes Ascent, HA, 8v8 tournament. Larger, and as such taken way more seriously.

Dongway Way back in the early days of Guild Wars a build revolving around the skill I Will Avenge You was born. It was pug friendly and had a low skill requirement to be effective. IWAY, as it was dubbed, has persisted through 4 years of gameplay now, and so influential that any new build that is considered noob in any fashion is usually dubbed X-way. There was a while about a year back that IWAY had completely disappeared from the game, this was when a group of players from the guild Pen Island [dong] created their own version of IWAY. When other teams lost to this much rage would ensue to them losing to such a noob build out of the blue.

Also the finale of HA is a 3-way match. By completely forgoing any attempt to win you can shut out another team. We were also good at this.

The /report system An automated system, which includes automated punishments. It is as bad an idea as it sounds. While it says abusing the system will incur bans, it doesn't. We would sync into randomly determined teams and report the rest of the team. They would receive a debuff that doesn't allow them to enter PvP for 1 minute per dishonorable point (something like 2-3 dishonor per report); it was reduced by 1 dishonorable pint per 30 minutes, but by running into us a few times they would be knocked out of pvp for 30 minutes at a time. Did this in AB and would report other people on our teams, could sync up two teams in AB and the other 4 trying to report us would end up hurting themselves further.

What made this even worse was reporting for offensive language. For years Anet didn't give a flying gently caress what was said, but about a year and a half ago they cracked down and became incredibly anal and ban-happy. Right now they interpret quantity of reports as validity of reports, even if all 8 reports came from the guild of people that were just in a PvP match with that person. Its actually really griefing, its legitimate strategy. Getting someone banned from a team takes that team out for the rest of the night, and usually the next 3-14; keeps them from reentering HA, and can even get mid tournament bans in GvG. So zealous in their effort to ban foul language that after a report they will search all chat from that character, including all PM's, guild chat, and even all chat in empty zones for any foul language and issue a ban; they of course will not make their already implemented language filter mandatory.

Vent Banning Plays in with the /report system. Get in a pug, join their vent server (even the terrible groups play on vent, it really is mandatory), cause commotion on their vent server (many options here), get them to yell at you in game. Never acknowledge any of that in game, or even that you were in vent, but keep egging them on in vent. Put them on ignore, and let them get their friends to yell at you. Eventually report them and get others in your guild to report them and they will get banned for their yelling and swearing in game.

Before the GBS morality squad that found this game start yelling at me for being a super dick and crossing the line, I have been doing as much as an end player to get this system removed in the first place. GW doesn't have an official forum, but the largest other website (which the devs do follow) I have regularly posted all of the abuses of the /report system. I have posted them for over a year. Exactly what I have done here. People still call me out and say that I'm just a griefer (oh no, not *just*) that is being curbed by the current system and want it gone for personal reasons, they tell me that I obviously didn't do this as abusing the report system would result in a ban and just generally don't believe me when I say that I haven't been caught by this system that I regularly abuse.

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 16, 2009

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Rogaine Yoshi posted:

i don't think calling someone a human being counts as being a bitch

human being

whatev bitch

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Ah, my friend finally emailed me the screenshots

So the other night I tried out Savage for the first time. It's a pretty fun game, a combination FPS/RTS, with one person as the commander having an RTS view, while everyone else plays as one of the troops FPS style. I like it.

Anyway, the first round ever, I managed to unintentionally grief him. We're one on one between his computer and my laptop, and of course I'm not 100% clear on what I'm doing so I'm just dicking around. He is too, but he has the advantage of knowing what does what.

Anyway, he keeps killing me with a catapult, so I figure "gently caress it, I've got a dozen resource gatherers that I shat out earlier," so I go commander and order them all to attack him.

Welp, apparently they can't attack. They can keep him from going anywhere, though.

Click here for the full 1600x1000 image.

Click here for the full 1600x1000 image.

He wasn't able to move at ALL and couldn't hit my guys because the catapult couldn't hit that close in front of it. It was pretty awesome. My little dudes just kept walking into him, doing nothing at all, and then the game crashed shortly after :lol:

EDIT: holy poo poo tables

Jerkules
Jun 29, 2007
Day of Defeat: Source, an FPS, has this one map where one of the exits to the spawn requires you to jump into a pit, and then exit the pit through a door. My friend and I would stand in the doorway to exit this pit, blocking anyone from going through the door. And once you're in the pit, that door is the only way you're getting out of the pit. Using this, we occasionally got almost everyone on our team stuck in the pit with us.

When doing this, there's always a few players who will step up and team kill you. Do it 3 times (on most servers) to that person, and wham- they're automatically banned.

A lot of DoD:S servers have a menu that pops up when you get team killed, allowing you to choose how the person who team killed you will be punished... burned, slapped, you get the idea. My favorite thing to do involved that punishment menu. I'd trap some people in the pit, get one of them to team kill me, and then just as they began to walk through the door that I was blocking, I'd choose the "freeze" option from the punishment menu, forcing them to block the door in my absence. Sometimes there was the added bonus of people yelling at the frozen guy.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jerkules posted:

Day of Defeat: Source, an FPS, has this one map where one of the exits to the spawn requires you to jump into a pit, and then exit the pit through a door. My friend and I would stand in the doorway to exit this pit, blocking anyone from going through the door. And once you're in the pit, that door is the only way you're getting out of the pit. Using this, we occasionally got almost everyone on our team stuck in the pit with us.

When doing this, there's always a few players who will step up and team kill you. Do it 3 times (on most servers) to that person, and wham- they're automatically banned.

A lot of DoD:S servers have a menu that pops up when you get team killed, allowing you to choose how the person who team killed you will be punished... burned, slapped, you get the idea. My favorite thing to do involved that punishment menu. I'd trap some people in the pit, get one of them to team kill me, and then just as they began to walk through the door that I was blocking, I'd choose the "freeze" option from the punishment menu, forcing them to block the door in my absence. Sometimes there was the added bonus of people yelling at the frozen guy.

Which map is this?

Jerkules
Jun 29, 2007

-Troika- posted:

Which map is this?

It's avalanche, Wehrmacht spawn. The pit that you have to jump over sand bags to get into. I tried looking for screenshots but couldn't find anything decent.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Of course that stuff doesn't work anymore since they added TF2's bumper-cars collision model for friendlies to DOD Source. (Maybe the freeze punishment still does, since that's a mod thing.)

A CRAB IRL
May 6, 2009

If you're looking for me, you better check under the sea

Trainmonk posted:

whatev bitch

It's getting a bit Baseketball-esque in this thread

TheLakers
Dec 1, 2007

Please ask me about my mutilated genitals, and belief in faith healing.

Trainmonk posted:

Haha, doesn't matter what he said so far. If you don't read any of his posts and just look at all of yours, you guys all look like a bunch of bitches. It's hilarious.

Just saying.

pretty much

he forced them to stop paying attention to their own thread and spend energy chastising him. you'd think people in this thread would have a sense of humor, lmao

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I guess nowadays "hilarious trolling" is considered "anything that gets any response whatsoever".

In other news the Intel bug was patched out in the latest TF2 update, but honestly I don't think anyone was still using it by then, since any comedic potential had long-since dried out. It was hilarious while it lasted, but it sure didn't last very long.

There was something about patching out some way for players to manipulate server variables. I would have loved to have been in on that. Setting gravity really low is a good start, but for an even funnier trick, you can set the gravity so high people die by walking off the battlements in 2Fort or any significant ledge in Dustbowl. It really limits the way people play and also makes scouts useless, yet many people are so ingrained with the way they play they just can't handle any changes and stick with the routine in the face of everything. I guess this is part of why the "third team" mechanic was so entertaining.

But for the best time possible, set friction to 0. People will slide around like ice cubes and coast around corners and curves, trying desperately to hop around and leave their own base while screaming confused obscenities.

TF2 really does have a lot of potential for pubbie tears, which I guess is why it's posted so much in this thread, but those opportunities seem to be drying up every day.
Then again, every major update generally brings along new exploits, too. It's all part of the great cycle.

TheLakers
Dec 1, 2007

Please ask me about my mutilated genitals, and belief in faith healing.

Vib Rib posted:

I guess nowadays "hilarious trolling" is considered "anything that gets any response whatsoever".

that's pretty much what it has been repeatedly defined as throughout the thread

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Reverend Dr posted:

Vent Banning Plays in with the /report system. Get in a pug, join their vent server (even the terrible groups play on vent, it really is mandatory), cause commotion on their vent server (many options here), get them to yell at you in game. Never acknowledge any of that in game, or even that you were in vent, but keep egging them on in vent. Put them on ignore, and let them get their friends to yell at you. Eventually report them and get others in your guild to report them and they will get banned for their yelling and swearing in game.

Before the GBS morality squad that found this game start yelling at me for being a super dick and crossing the line, I have been doing as much as an end player to get this system removed in the first place. GW doesn't have an official forum, but the largest other website (which the devs do follow) I have regularly posted all of the abuses of the /report system. I have posted them for over a year. Exactly what I have done here. People still call me out and say that I'm just a griefer (oh no, not *just*) that is being curbed by the current system and want it gone for personal reasons, they tell me that I obviously didn't do this as abusing the report system would result in a ban and just generally don't believe me when I say that I haven't been caught by this system that I regularly abuse.
This isn't on the same level as that other ban story, because you aren't getting a dude banned through no fault of his own, in a method where you don't see any reaction at all, you're just instigating a shitstorm and those who choose to participate get penalized for it. It's like those "get someone to TK you and use that to your advantage" griefs, except the GMs in an MMO are less forgiving than an online FPS server mod. :v:

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

Reverend Dr posted:

Guild Wars
The /report system

Good god, and I thought they were trigger happy killjoys on second life, this is twice as bad. And on WoW you get a warning at the most for foul language, and that's extreme and unusual.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

FuzzyPickles posted:

Good god, and I thought they were trigger happy killjoys on second life, this is twice as bad. And on WoW you get a warning at the most for foul language, and that's extreme and unusual.
Not true, if you use strong enough verbiage you can certainly expect a GM to whisper you with one of their patented RP-macros which translate to "10 seconds until you are banned for X hours." If it's exceptional, such as a really fantastic stream of epithets and curses, you will probably get hit harder than that.

I found this out by being on the receiving end of some kid who insulted and cussed at me over my choice of a weapon or something while I was power levelling an alt. Finally I said something silly like "Taurens are for fags," at which point he gleefully announced he was going to report me (my first time being reported in WOW) and sure enough, an hour or two later I got hit by a ban-stick, and the GM really didn't give a poo poo that the guy had been swearing at me for hours - since he'd reported me first, I was at fault and culpable, and he was also immune to me reporting him.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jul 16, 2009

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

coyo7e posted:

Not true, if you use strong enough verbiage you can certainly expect a GM to whisper you with one of their patented RP-macros which translate to "10 seconds until you are banned for X hours." If it's exceptional, such as a really fantastic stream of epithets and curses, you will probably get hit harder than that.

I found this out by being on the receiving end of some kid who insulted and cussed at me over my choice of a weapon or something while I was power levelling an alt. Finally I said something silly like "Taurens are for fags," at which point he gleefully announced he was going to report me (my first time being reported in WOW) and sure enough, an hour or two later I got hit by a ban-stick, and the GM really didn't give a poo poo that the guy had been swearing at me for hours - since he'd reported me first, I was at fault and culpable, and he was also immune to me reporting him.

I had the same experience, I said "Fag" in general chat and some guy reported me. Got banned for like a day too. I guess it depends on who's working, as I've gotten warnings before.

Later in the game I found out how to call alliance niggers, and would spam my macro containing it in STV,Tanaris, or if I felt up to going to an alliance city. Don't know if they ever patched out all that "random numbers & letters = words for opposite faction".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
This is why you always look up the rules in the game to see what you can and can't do then use that to your advantage.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

At least in guildwars the bans were only for a few days, they weren't permanent. I remember a lot of drunken AB where someone on my team would eventually just devolve into spamming "niggers" in all chat, they'd get a week long vacation the next morning.

God guildwars was comedy gold, with terrible builds and reasonable skill you could get "pros" to rage all day long. I miss the good old days in that game, it's pretty plain by todays standards.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

KingShiro posted:

Later in the game I found out how to call alliance niggers,

Go gently caress yourself.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

KingShiro posted:

Later in the game I found out how to call alliance niggers, and would spam my macro containing it in STV,Tanaris, or if I felt up to going to an alliance city. Don't know if they ever patched out all that "random numbers & letters = words for opposite faction".
I think this is punishable behavior now, as well.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Vib Rib posted:

There was something about patching out some way for players to manipulate server variables. I would have loved to have been in on that.

From what I heard there were a couple of servers with a source mod plugin that if you typed "!Givemeall" into chat, it unlocked everything. Weapons, achievements, hats.

Didn't find this out myself until I checked on my community tab on steam and one of my friends achievements on TF2 filled the entire page, and they'd only played for 2.3 hours in the last 2 weeks.

I hope source mod can still change gravity on the TF2 servers, low grav is fun.

To Contribute: I was playing on a 12 survivor, low grav server for Left 4 Dead, it was on expert, and we were on Blood Harvest Map 4. Someone grabbed a hunting rifle, and hop hop hopped to the safe room at the end of the map before anyone else got there (with low grav, you can skip that last house, not go into the barn or station and get to the end in about a minute) He sat in the safe room, and used the hunting rifle to incapacitate anyone the moment they got onto the other end of the bridge. The abuse over chat was hilarious. I was just laughing at all the Zoeys trying to help people up only to go cartwheeling into rubble and train cars nearby as they were killed.

After the last of us died, with him in the safe room, it just loaded up the next map. 1 griefer in a train car with 8 or 9 angry victims. There were about 3 shootouts to the death in there before I got vote kicked for getting out of the train car alive, I assume they continued just shooting each other in the safe room for a few hours after that.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Played some gears of war 2 yesterday with two other friends. the three of us were in a party and were playing a submission against an all bot team. We wanted to drag out the game to reap thousands of points and take advantage of the reare opportunity. The two pubbies on our team though...they were not aware, nor appreciative of our aim. It was unintentional griefing, until it became clear they wanted out, then we turned up the heat. 50 minutes later, after having them yell and scream at us, we finally decided to end it. It was pretty great.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

apekillape posted:

Go gently caress yourself.

He just said to get a reaction...

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

KingShiro posted:

I had the same experience, I said "Fag" in general chat and some guy reported me. Got banned for like a day too. I guess it depends on who's working, as I've gotten warnings before.

Shiro, I know this a bit of a derail but; do you grief any kids in fighting games? I mean just seeing that ridiculous picture you sent a bunch of people over live (it was a fighting stick, a copy of a fighting game and sixty-six dollars in cash, haha) it would be pretty easy to get pubbies raging after you just whooped their rear end in some fighting game by sending them that particular picture.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The other night in TF2 I played a neutral medic. I refused to use anything but the medigun, and did not recognise red/blu boundaries. I made sure that every red spy knew that if they came up to me disguised, I would freely heal them. Eventually I was granted amnesty and full run of their base. Even had a red medic take up the same cause.

Then I grabbed their intelligence and joined 'unassigned.'

FuzzyPickles
Jun 7, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Maybe you got a bad GM or something, especially if it went straight to a suspension. Cussing is just as much against the rules as anything else and blizzard checks chat logs before they punish.

Either that or I've gotten really really lucky.

You are always supposed to get a warning before any actual punishment is incurred, and I believe different incidents are their own seperate thing. I know this from my days spamming trade with advertisements for Pen Island and that time I molested an orcish war oprhan. I've never been suspended ever and both of those is worse then saying 'fag.' This chart is from blizzard's support website:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Cojawfee posted:

This is why you always look up the rules in the game to see what you can and can't do then use that to your advantage.

That doesn't really work, at least as far as video games. Certainly valid standing in any judicial system, but game companies are free to decide that something is punishable and execute punishments for things that occur before any actually policy change.

We've had official punitive protocol from Anet [Guild Wars] yet they seem to go outside of it often. Officially there are a series of 3 day bans, before a couple of 2 week bans, a month ban, a two month ban, then permanent banning. Seen a few people lately go from 3-day straight to permanent ban, we have just had our whole guild just about get 2-weeks out of nowhere (2 of those were permanent).

But the greatest griefer in the history of Guild Wars was Spacko. Of course words like friend of the family and gently caress the game won't even allow as names, not at all unexpected. Words like Vagina, Dong, Hymen, and Dike are allowed, will earn bans, but the word filter is never updated. Spacko so irritated the devs and support that spacko has been put in the word filter. So the name "Bleeding Vagina", or "Dike On Bike", or "Little Girls Hymen" can be made, but Spacko cannot.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

fennesz posted:

Shiro, I know this a bit of a derail but; do you grief any kids in fighting games? I mean just seeing that ridiculous picture you sent a bunch of people over live (it was a fighting stick, a copy of a fighting game and sixty-six dollars in cash, haha) it would be pretty easy to get pubbies raging after you just whooped their rear end in some fighting game by sending them that particular picture.

Oh man, that would of been a great idea. Too bad I put that money in the bank :(. I'm at a loss as to how to grief people in FGs though.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

KingShiro posted:

Oh man, that would of been a great idea. Too bad I put that money in the bank :(. I'm at a loss as to how to grief people in FGs though.

I can't think of any besides trash talking, quitting early, or taunting in game, like teabagging a dizzied opponent. Fighting game mechanics don't exactly give you much freedom except choosing how you're gonna hit the other guy.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Promoted Pawn posted:

I can't think of any besides trash talking, quitting early, or taunting in game, like teabagging a dizzied opponent. Fighting game mechanics don't exactly give you much freedom except choosing how you're gonna hit the other guy.

I made a post way back in this thread about arcade griefing. That's about the worst you can do though and I don't recommend it unless you are fairly intimidating because people might actually start fights with you.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

I Love You! posted:

I made a post way back in this thread about arcade griefing. That's about the worst you can do though and I don't recommend it unless you are fairly intimidating because people might actually start fights with you.

I got the impression he was talking about XBL fighting games like HDR.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

KingShiro posted:

Only use one move? Only use the worst cheap tactics available? Lose HORRIBLY, then drop link the split-second before the game is counted on the leaderboards?

I've heard many anecdotes of people in Street Fighter going completely rabid online because someone would just crouch and sweep-kick them the entire game. I heard that the (insanely well-selling) UFC game that came out recently, doesn't have a drawback to linkdropping when you lose, and it gives no credit to the winner.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

coyo7e posted:

Only use one move? Only use the worst cheap tactics available? Lose HORRIBLY, then drop link the split-second before the game is counted on the leaderboards?

I've heard many anecdotes of people in Street Fighter going completely rabid online because someone would just crouch and sweep-kick them the entire game.

Do nothing but throws, DPs, teleport around all the time (character specific), or run out the clock would all be valid I guss.

I already racked up a nice DC% in SFIV though, and people will still play me.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

KingShiro posted:

Do nothing but throws, DPs, teleport around all the time (character specific), or run out the clock would all be valid I guss.

coyo7e posted:

Only use one move?

I've heard many anecdotes of people in Street Fighter going completely rabid online because someone would just crouch and sweep-kick them the entire game.

Those sound like the MMO PvP griefs where you'd have to be better than your opponent to the point that you can win at will before you can get away with them.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Promoted Pawn posted:

Those sound like the MMO PvP griefs where you'd have to be better than your opponent to the point that you can win at will before you can get away with them.
Yes, although comparing it to MMOs is a flawed example, since in MMOs you can somewhat easily stack your gear to take out an opponent who's a more skilled player.

It's not that hard (in many 2d fighting games at least) to take out an opponent by being a bitch, and just crouching in the corner blocking and sweeping though.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
There was a SFII STHDR video posted earlier in the thread detailing how to grief the game. Two people would create a room, wait for people to join, and then the two would start their match against each other where they would just do "Interpretive Dance" and jump around, neither hitting each other, since in a complete draw, the 2 players get to fight again.

This means they can keep anyone else in the same room to sit there and watch as 2 jackasses run out the timer over and over till finally quitting the room and finding another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Reminds me of joining one of the drawing flash games with a friend where we would just draw dicks all over the place and then IM each other the word.

• Locked thread