Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD

Tristesse posted:

It's a corgi joke welcome to pet island where jokes happen based on breed characteristics. I wasn't actually questioning their heritage.

Also corgidor is the worst of the designer dog names.

The noble Corgidor..... yeah worst sounding designer mutt name ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD

coyo7e posted:

I do not think a rescue dog is a good idea for a cat with 3 houses, you're begging for a disaster of epic proportions. There is no way you'll know how your cats will react to a dog, or how a potentially abused dog will react to the cats, or the utter chaos that may happen as soon as you bring it through the front door.

There is this wonderful little thing called foster homes. You see, when a dog gets rescued, the rescue puts him in an actual temporary home where he lives with other animals and people daily - for months or years until he is adopted. By then the rescue knows pretty accurately what the animal is like.

There are also these amazing things called visiting and trial adoptions where the OP can bring their pets and the potential dog together to see how they fit, or take a week with the dog in their home and see how it goes.

Also, labeling rescues in generally as potentially abused dogs does a huge disservice to rescue. The majority of animals in rescue situations are owner surrenders where the only reason the animal is in rescue is because the owner could not afford the dog, lost their job, lost their home, etc.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.

coyo7e posted:

I do not think a rescue dog is a good idea for a cat with 3 houses...

Well gently caress no... youre right, A cat with THREE houses is bound to be a stuck up pussy anyway. What? You can't live like everybody else? Come down from your ivory tower, cat.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Pooptron2003 posted:

Well gently caress no... youre right, A cat with THREE houses is bound to be a stuck up pussy anyway. What? You can't live like everybody else? Come down from your ivory tower, cat.

Seriously. No dog will ever be good enough for a cat with three houses, let alone a rescue dog.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
That cat will indeed look down upon the pleb that is the formerly homeless rescue dog. The mixing of the classes never works.

But seriously, echoing what ZIMS is saying about rescues. I don't know why this keeps popping up all over the place in PI which is otherwise usually very well informed, but by no means is every dog in shelters/ rescues abused with millions of issues. Any decent rescue will know the dog's background, and if that is impossible they will at least know how the dog behaves currently. Every dog I've ever had including my current purebred corgi that I got when he was 8 weeks old has been a rescue, and none of them have had any issues with being abused. ZIMS currently has a rescue dog that has been living with her for months, AND she already knew how the previous owner had been handling the dog. For all intents and purposes, she knows that dog as well as her own (Dexter might as well be here own, really) so she can fully inform any potential owners about his personality.

I would personally always continue to advocate looking into adopting a homeless animal before going to a breeder, though I find no issue with going to a reputable breeder if you're really looking for something specific. (It took me about 2 years working with the rescue to happen upon Ace, but it is time I'm very glad I spent.)

There is only one dog that's been through my entire extended family (and we have a lot of crazy dog people in my family) that was a rescue with issues. My mom's last dog, Thelma, had very clearly been abused and is covered in scars. She's a beagle mix, and for a long time would howl in horror and run away if certain people approached. She wasn't social with other dogs a all and was terrified of most situations. A year later, and you'd never ever even know it, save for the scars... And there wasn't really much effort at all placed into her rehabilitation. She just needed time to be shown that people aren't evil after all and it's ok to be happy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So it's actually part of standard procedure to acclimatize a dog to cats, after they've been rescued and while they're still in the foster home?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

coyo7e posted:

So it's actually part of standard procedure to acclimatize a dog to cats, after they've been rescued and while they're still in the foster home?

A lot of foster homes have cats, and those that don't often go out of their way to test the dog with cats from other households. Most of the rescues around here have a full write-up of the dog's personality available, including leash manners, issues like separation anxiety, whether or not the dog likes to ride in the car, etc. and what the dog's reaction is to cats, children, and small animals.

We're not talking about walking into the pound and picking up a dog. A rescue, especially a breed rescue that understands the nature of the particular breed of dog they serve, will definitely have a good handle on whether or not an individual dog would be good with a cat.

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

Here's my 7 year old Pembroke, Spider.

He's just getting over antibiotics treatments for Lyme Disease (made an excellent recovery, according to our vet, who also owns a corgi). He's the sweetest thing, even if he can be a grumpy potato sometimes.

We like to dress him up and have him do silly poses.

angrykid
Apr 9, 2006

My puppy progeny will prove themselves well-trained, classy, and dignified.

Cynodont posted:

Never have I ever seen such a cute dog with such an "I so loving hate you" expression.

RepliCarter
Dec 5, 2007

Megalomaniac

Cynodont posted:

Here's my 7 year old Pembroke, Spider.

He's just getting over antibiotics treatments for Lyme Disease (made an excellent recovery, according to our vet, who also owns a corgi). He's the sweetest thing, even if he can be a grumpy potato sometimes.

We like to dress him up and have him do silly poses.

Because of this amazing hairy child, my next dog will be a Pembroke. :3:

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

angrykid posted:

Never have I ever seen such a cute dog with such an "I so loving hate you" expression.

If there's one thing he hates (other than thermometers up his butt at the vet), it's being forced to wear hats. He becomes quite ungentlemanly.

RepliCarter posted:

Because of this amazing hairy child, my next dog will be a Pembroke.

Hawhaw, a new convert to support the slow and steady Corgi world domination movement. :toot:

White1ce
Jul 31, 2003
IT IS YOUR CIVIC DUTY AS AN SA FORUMS MEMBER TO RUIN ALL OF THE THREADS I POST. IF I EVER POST A THREAD, TROLL IT!!!
Has anyone ever shaved their corgi before?

Forkboy
Mar 2, 2005
LORD OF THE PANTS

White1ce posted:

I wouldn't do it. We have a 9 year-old Corgi that we first fostered, then decided to adopt. He needed surgery, and whoever had him before he was sent off to Utah Corgi Rescue shaved him. He looked like this:

He was pretty miserable. We live in Utah which has very cold winters and very hot summers, so he either needed a sweater or he couldn't be out very long in the heat and sun just to go out and pee.

Forkboy
Mar 2, 2005
LORD OF THE PANTS
The wife also pointed out that his shaved coat was really prickly and didn't do anything to curb the shedding.

A couple more of Curry, in the spirit of the thread:

Tikka, on the left, and Curry (coat about halfway back in) try to keep their blossoming love hidden, but the camera is faster.

Curry, with his soft, pettable coat back in, tends to lose his legs sometimes. He is therefore a Currypillar.

Pooptron2003
Jan 20, 2006

It's not what you think.
I had a fun weekend.

Two lovely idiots

Unwanted Advances NOOO!

I like to think he's half hamster

Dog loaf

(The tri is on a diet currently because he's a chub... parent's dog)

Pooptron2003 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 13, 2009

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

White1ce posted:

They shaved Ace's stomach and butt when he got fixed, and the fur in that area still hasn't grown back in right. It's very thin and very course feeling as opposed to the rest of his fur (was shaved ~3 months ago) and while it was short it drove him absolutely nuts and I had to keep the cone of shame on him just so he wouldn't chew his skin raw. I've heard it worked out for some people, but I can imagine that because of the coat of a corgi that it gets insanely itchy for them if they get shaved.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

White1ce posted:

Yes, my family had ours shaved every summer, she had a very long heavy coat and she was miserable in the hot weather where we lived. She could get a sunburn if she went swimming too early afterward since her belly was pretty much bare, but she was obviously much more comfortable after she got over being offended at the groomer and us. She spent most of her time outside in the daytime, rather than indoors with A/C.

She was also a pembroke, so she didn't look totally odd like that cardigan in the pics above.

Edit: I notice that every person who posted a negative accont of their dog being shaved, also did it during a period of distress for the dog. Ours went to the groomer for a butch every year after she was a couple/few years old.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 15, 2009

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Cecie and one of the other two in the yard last winter.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Sir Russel Griswold. Russel. Rustle. Rusty. Russel Furpants.

Ivy (previously Ein (sigh)) in the foreground, Rusty, Cecie and Bond the KBD farther out.

Pooped.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

None of these Corgis are mine. Cecie is my sister's, Rusty and Ivy belong to my parents. They got Rusty 3 years ago when an acquaintance decided they couldn't handle a dog. Ivy was added Christmas before last when a friend of ours connected us with a rescue that needed to get rid of her. Some college kids bought her, named her Ein and then left her in a cage all the time, wormy and malnourished. That snow was the greatest thing. Even Bond had to bound over it and blaze a trail. Ivy loved to hit up every tree along the way and root her head around under the snow to look for voles and such.

I've got better pictures, but not on this computer.

casualvex
Nov 11, 2005
Better than you since 1976.
Mr. Kilgore Trout:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
How many of those rugs have been ripped up yet by that puppy. :3:

I also present- corgi lure coursing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqCdhsH34_c

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name
Josie has a thing for zippers since she was a little puppy. Even at 8 months, she decides that zippers need to be removed from the fabric. She ruined one of her best pillows just the other day after she'd been sleeping on it for months. I guess she was like "o HEY!" and went to town. I gotta figure out how to break her of that because I like my jackets and zip hoodies.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

londerwost posted:

Josie has a thing for zippers since she was a little puppy. Even at 8 months, she decides that zippers need to be removed from the fabric. She ruined one of her best pillows just the other day after she'd been sleeping on it for months. I guess she was like "o HEY!" and went to town. I gotta figure out how to break her of that because I like my jackets and zip hoodies.

Pepper has found a weakness in one of her toys. We first bought her one of those "squid" Kong toys. It took her a good month or so to wear it down. The next one took her 3 weeks. Her most current one took her a two weeks. It isn't that she's tearing off the limbs of the toy. She's tearing off the whole fabric around the squeaky ball at the top.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

londerwost posted:

We've never really had an issue with Snaps chewing on things she shouldn't, but last week she took exception to her pillow. She had also been sleeping on the thing for months before she decided the zipper had to go. It had both an inner and an outer zipper and she destroyed both. It wouldn't have been nearly so bad had she not also EATEN parts of them.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Read this today and it reminded me of this thread. Maybe some of the corgi folks will find it interesting.

How corgis (and the other short legged dogs) lost their legs

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
My husband and I have decided that when the time is right, we are going to rescue or purchase a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. We're both madly in love with the breed - the frenetic energy level, the widdle stubby feets, the crazy herding dog brain (I grew up with a sheltie who was more or less my best friend as a child), the entire package. Now is not the time quite yet, but I figure now is the best time to do all the research I can on breeders and the breed itself. I found a website that, at first glance, seems like a good resource, but I'm getting all kinds of warning lights in my brain from it. After reading the guarantee, I'm not convinced at all that it's not just a site for BYBs to make a lot of money on badly-bred, over-priced puppies. Has anyone heard of https://www.washingtonwelshcorgibreeders.com before? Am I the only one getting the BYB vibe?

Diving Buttress
Aug 20, 2002

oh jesus christ
The company listed on their sale contract is "PUREBRED BREEDERS, LLC." I figured out if you substitute other dog breeds for "welshcorgi" in that URL you get an identical website. I tried pug, rottweiler, sheltie, and poodle - they all worked. Looks like a service for puppy mills/bybs in my opinion.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

My husband and I have decided that when the time is right, we are going to rescue or purchase a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. We're both madly in love with the breed - the frenetic energy level, the widdle stubby feets, the crazy herding dog brain (I grew up with a sheltie who was more or less my best friend as a child), the entire package. Now is not the time quite yet, but I figure now is the best time to do all the research I can on breeders and the breed itself. I found a website that, at first glance, seems like a good resource, but I'm getting all kinds of warning lights in my brain from it. After reading the guarantee, I'm not convinced at all that it's not just a site for BYBs to make a lot of money on badly-bred, over-priced puppies. Has anyone heard of https://www.washingtonwelshcorgibreeders.com before? Am I the only one getting the BYB vibe?

Yeah that site looks like a BYB/puppymill nightmare. I would start with the breed club instead:

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Miss Indy posted:

Just wait til you have to start spelling it out. Works fine and dandy til they figure out what you mean even if you spell the word. And my pem's latest trick is to just stare at us until we feed him. No matter that dinnertime is 2 hrs away, he faces us, rests his head on the table, and stares. If he doesn't have success with me, he'll look at my husband. DRIVING ME NUTS.

Wish my apartment allowed larger pets, I'd get a Corgi in a heartbeat...I love little energetic dogs like that :) My parents have a mini Dachshund and she's pretty smart, she's figured out at least a dozen different words my parents use for "treat" or "food", and if my stepdad doesn't feed her in time, she sits up at his feet, and will smack his toes lightly with her front paws :3:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

anachrodragon posted:

Yeah that site looks like a BYB/puppymill nightmare. I would start with the breed club instead:

http://www.pembrokecorgi.org/

That's what I was thinking, thanks. I've been sending out feelers to various PWCCA breeders around the western WA area, so hopefully I'll have established a good line of communication with a few when we're able to have a puppy. Or better still, a sweet adult Pem will be available at a shelter within a day's drive!

GobbleDeGook
Sep 13, 2005

Liberator of Butterball Dong
Bumped for tag change.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Manga tag? :confused:

It's around 100 degrees in Seattle right now and poor Josie is melting. It's a good thing we got hard floors which are way cooler than the old berber carpet we used to have. Time to play ice cube fetch! :D

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

londerwost posted:

It's around 100 degrees in Seattle right now and poor Josie is melting. It's a good thing we got hard floors which are way cooler than the old berber carpet we used to have. Time to play ice cube fetch! :D

Poor Josie :( My condo stays pretty cool so my corgis are pretty unphased. Just be really careful about letting her walk on pavement. I took Bailey with me to Spokane a while back when it was this hot, and his pads got burnt just walking across a parking lot. Do you have a yard? Corgis + kiddie pools are the best! We're taking ours to a lake this weekend and we're going to see if we can get some Dock Dogs out of my two.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I visited my sister, her husband, and their Corgi Bronson last week. He is quite the gentleman.

londerwost posted:

Manga tag? :confused:
Meet Ein

express
Oct 16, 2004
cankersaurus rex
Taking my pup to the vet tomorrow to see about this, but I was wondering: has anyone else had issues with their Corgi (or other dogs) losing spots of hair?

Recently, my seven month old Pembroke has started losing random spots of hair - on his face and feet so far. They're probably dime-sized, and there's no visible redness, bumps or irritation - just a shiny bald spot. He gets a flea preventative treatment once a month, and we bathe him maybe every two weeks with a mild dog shampoo. We brush him enough to keep him comfortable and mat-free, and he eats Purina Beneful twice a day. We'll know more tomorrow, but has anyone else seen this in their dogs before?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

express posted:

he eats Purina Beneful twice a day

This stuff is terrible. Read the list of ingredients on the bag of Beneful, then please take a look at the pet nutrition megathread and compare. A lot of dogs have allergies to grain/corn so switching to a high quality food may improve the condition you're seeing.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Ema Nymton posted:

Meet Ein

Manga =/= Anime

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

anachrodragon posted:

This stuff is terrible. Read the list of ingredients on the bag of Beneful, then please take a look at the pet nutrition megathread and compare. A lot of dogs have allergies to grain/corn so switching to a high quality food may improve the condition you're seeing.

That's what I was thinking, maybe hotspots that have healed up. Gizmo got them from Wellness Core. To much protein we think.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

londerwost posted:

Manga =/= Anime
No, but Anime + Popularity = Manga. Not sure why.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

londerwost posted:

Manga =/= Anime

Anime are just moving mangas ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Seconding a food switch and maybe have a vet take a look. With all the crazy thick fur Ace has I can't imagine him getting bald spots. Does he seem itchy at all? It's most likely allergies of some kind, and generally food allergies will present this way.

• Locked thread