Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

suddenlyissoon posted:

The last 3 songs of Beast, Please Be Still's S/T album rank right at the top of any work done in post-rock, and maybe even music, ever. Every single thing is spot on. You're sitting there going "man, this is a pretty rocking drum beat" during Annihilate Everything That Exists and then you go "oh poo poo, a loving FLUTE solo. this is amazing". Then you get into the song Clouds and it's basically like an auditory movie, you can see a movie in your freaking mind and then you get to And Then You Took Over and you can just see yourself laying in bed with the one you love and them saying all the things you've always wanted to hear.

It's just amazing and if you haven't heard those last 3 songs you really owe it to yourself to.
This. I think I listened to those songs and that album in general about eight times across the last two days I've had it. It's probably one of the best things I've heard and it's really sweet music.

Also, Maybeshewill is set to release "Sing The Word Hope In Four Part Harmony" sometime this week. The release date said June 1st but I have no idea where it's at / haven't heard anything from the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just chiming in to say that I heard Mono's "Yearning" while I was driving home on the interstate on Sunday night and it's probably my new favorite post-rock track.

It just fit so well with driving home at 80MPH in mostly darkness with not many other people on the I-10. The atmosphere was perfect.

It was on a post-rock mix I'd made almost a year ago, and I'd completely forgotten the name of the song so I had to go searching for it when I got home, but drat it's awesome. To be honest, I don't really like what I've heard of Mono's newest album, and I don't listen to their other stuff regularly either for some reason. This song, though...it's just loving spectacular.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I didn't see anyone mention it but Tortoise is coming out with a new album, Beacons of Ancestorship, on June 23rd. You can listen to one of the tracks from it at Tortoise's website.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

I don't know if this is the proper place for it since they're slightly more avant-garde or jazz, but also fairly based in psychedelic/noise rock, but I've fallen in love with the band Zu, and especially their latest album Carboniferous. It's such a bass-heavy, powerful and bizarre album that I can't help but love it. I also picked up their album the Zu Side of Chadbourne, which is a collection of "covers" by the band, and although it's a lot different than Carboniferous, it's still amazing.

If you're a fan of the more heavy, jazzy or bizarre post-rock/metal/experimental rock stuff, do yourself a favour and check these guys out.

edit: also crazy freak-out horn solos that will rock your world

Technetium fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jun 3, 2009

watermelon bar
May 4, 2009
Not sure if anyone has mentioned zach hill but...
http://vimeo.com/4061453

i really think he deserves mention in this thread.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

watermelon bar posted:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned zach hill but...
http://vimeo.com/4061453

i really think he deserves mention in this thread.

I love Zach Hill and all, but that's more math-rock than anything.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

suddenlyissoon posted:

The last 3 songs of Beast, Please Be Still's S/T album rank right at the top of any work done in post-rock, and maybe even music, ever. Every single thing is spot on. You're sitting there going "man, this is a pretty rocking drum beat" during Annihilate Everything That Exists and then you go "oh poo poo, a loving FLUTE solo. this is amazing". Then you get into the song Clouds and it's basically like an auditory movie, you can see a movie in your freaking mind and then you get to And Then You Took Over and you can just see yourself laying in bed with the one you love and them saying all the things you've always wanted to hear.

It's just amazing and if you haven't heard those last 3 songs you really owe it to yourself to.

This just came in the mail, along with a handwritten letter of thanks, pretty awesome guys!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Everyone get the new Codes in the Clouds album.

Generic but awesome.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Anyone here seen Explosions in the Sky or Tortoise live? They're both coming to LA and my budget's kind of limited so I'm wondering which one I should go see or even if I should just bite the bullet and see them both.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Anyone here seen Explosions in the Sky or Tortoise live? They're both coming to LA and my budget's kind of limited so I'm wondering which one I should go see or even if I should just bite the bullet and see them both.

EITS is a more exciting show - granted, neither band moves much when playing live.

JaWs
Jan 4, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

I have sadly been to only one EITS show but I want to go again so badly. They don't really move or anything, just hearing them live feels very different (and much more awesome) than recorded. Go see them.

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
EITS are very good live, I saw them at the ATP they curated.

Plus you need to see Munaf doing that weird step staggery wobble dance he does in the flesh to truly experience it.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Has anyone else listened to Charts and Maps? They have 3 CDs here free for download : http://wiseowlrecords.com/artists/view/3 . Killed A Man is my favorite so far.

watermelon bar
May 4, 2009

redz posted:

Has anyone else listened to Charts and Maps? They have 3 CDs here free for download : http://wiseowlrecords.com/artists/view/3 . Killed A Man is my favorite so far.

Saw them play the space ark gallery when it still existed, a year or two ago. As much as I liked their set, I didn't see them going anywhere.

I love how jazzy they are though.

I think the bassist brought his parents to that show. Poor old people surrounded by stoned hippies.

RodeoDeJaneiro
May 10, 2009

by Peatpot
Caspian has a new LP out this August, I cannot wait.

Here's an album teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcVrandaJEE

quote:

Friends-

We are happy to announce that we are signing a North American record deal with The Mylene Sheath for the release of our second full length album, "Tertia". We're releasing it August 11 in the US on all formats (CD, Digital, Vinyl). Pre-releases should commence this July. Make My Day Records will once again be releasing the record in Europe with a street date of August 7.

We are joining the ranks of some of our favorite bands and putting a record we've spent the good part of 2 years putting together into the hands of people that we feel is re-defining the way in which fans interact with an independent record label. This was a big decision for us and we couldn't feel better about the way all of this has developed.

We were given a generous budget for the artwork with this release and looking at the final proofs, we feel like we did good with this blessing. The "Tertia" LP/CD will come complete with gold foil stamping and a 12 page, 11" x 11" booklet featuring original photography from various folks and an experimental piece of writing we commisioned from our Beverly comrade Jon Bennet in response to the record. We feel like "Tertia" finally captures the powerful and epic yet still subtle and elegant energy we've wanted to convey from day one and the art for this reflects that. We hope you enjoy what we've put together for this.

"Tertia" was recorded by Ethan Dussault with assistance from Ed Llerana at New Alliance in Cambridge, MA. Nick Zampiello (Torche, ISIS) mastered it along with Rob Gonella at New Alliance East. Nate Shumaker (who worked on "You Are The Conductor") and PAJ returned for design duties this time around.

We will be touring Europe this fall and North America next Spring to support this release. A short mini tour of the Northeast in late August to surround the album release is also in the works.

Hope you enjoy the record!

~xoxo~
CASPIAN

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Damnit yes! And it's being done by The Mylene Sheath as well, awesome people, even if the packaging for the new Gifts From Enola album was a bit poo poo.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Sing The Word Hope In Four-Part Harmony - Maybeshewill
This is the newest album from one of my favorite post-rock operations out there, Maybeshewill. It's been less than a year since their last full-length release, and they already got another out. It's all new stuff, minus the songs that were on their split with Her Name is Calla. Really good stuff, check it out.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Jetstar posted:

Sing The Word Hope In Four-Part Harmony - Maybeshewill
This is the newest album from one of my favorite post-rock operations out there, Maybeshewill. It's been less than a year since their last full-length release, and they already got another out. It's all new stuff, minus the songs that were on their split with Her Name is Calla. Really good stuff, check it out.

Oh wow that came out fast. Their debut was awesome, especially since they shied a little bit away from 65dos worship.

I also can't wait for the new Caspian album, their first album is possibly one of my favourite post-rock albums now.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

The Maybeshewill album is fantastic, I definitely recommend it.

Now they're not arselicking 65dos they are great.

And a new Caspian album! Awesome.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I already posted this in the "Shameless self promotion" thread, but I was recently invited to join Aiua to play synths and the song we recorded last week (which is the first one I'm a part of) is up now on the MySpace. It's called "Quiet Night, Falling Moon".

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I already posted this in the "Shameless self promotion" thread, but I was recently invited to join Aiua to play synths and the song we recorded last week (which is the first one I'm a part of) is up now on the MySpace. It's called "Quiet Night, Falling Moon".
Wow, dude, that's some good stuff! I see you list Mono as inspiration, and that's fits the bill pretty well. And you guys remind me of GYBE too!

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

This is fantastic! Thanks for sharing. It reminds me of God is An Astronaut. Synths are great too.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

redz posted:

I saw them open for This is a Process of a Still Life @ The Comet in Seattle last March. You can listen to that show here if you'd like: http://iamserio.us/2008/03/20/this-is-a-process-of-a-still-life-2008-03-19/

And I thought they had more of a jazzy progressive sound than anything else. With regards to post-rock, tat is.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
New Maybeshewill seems very short to me, probably because I listened the gently caress out of the Her Name is Calla split when it came out, so it's really only 6 new songs. The speech in the last track is brilliant though.

Not sure if they've been mentioned in the thread or not, but you all really need to check out Gifts From Enola. They've just released their new album From Fathoms (which got an 8.5 from The Silent Ballet) but their first album Loyal Eyes Betrayed the Mind or the split they did with You.May.Die.In.The.Desert are both stellar as well.

If you like your Post Rock powerful and explosive, these are the guys you need to listen to.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For some reason I heard about Gifts From Enola a loooooooooong time ago but I never checked out their music until now. It's awesome! I listened to "aves", and I'm halfway through "trieste" now. I'm gonna have to get this album.

A few of my friends in post-rock bands have been talking recently about whether or not they were going to play a show with Gifts From Enola / Irepress here. I don't know if they booked it or not, but regardless, I'm going to that show now because this is drat good post-rock.

xdirtypinkox
Aug 12, 2004

And it gets easier as I pass the Edward Scissorhands village where privileged white kids date rape girls and taunt me in their SUV's.

For some reason I heard about Gifts From Enola a loooooooooong time ago but I never checked out their music until now. It's awesome! I listened to "aves", and I'm halfway through "trieste" now. I'm gonna have to get this album.

From Fathoms is one of the most monumental albums of all time.

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

If y'all won't talk about it, I will.

The new Tortoise album is blowing me away. Maybe its because I was slightly underwhelmed by their last album, or maybe its because it sounds so different than anything else I've listened to lately. But its fantastic.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah the new Tortoise release is really good. It's at least as good as TNT in my opinion.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

xdirtypinkox posted:

From Fathoms is one of the most monumental albums of all time.

how the hell have i had their album sitting here all this time and never listened to it? wow.

highly recommended.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I didn't search through the thread too hard, but I remember seeing Angel Eye's "...and for a roof a sky full of stars" mentioned and not "Something to do with death."

It's an earlier release, but it's got a great song called "By The Time He Was My Age, Orson Welles Had Made Citizen Kane", and it's brutal. You could probably argue that this isn't post-rock, but the rest of the album fits in pretty well.

And here's a thinker: Why do bands like Gifts from Enola bother having a singer when you have to literally blast the music just to hear them sing? I've noticed a few bands doing this now, and it's beyond me why they'd even bother.

Oh, and if anyone here likes Maybeshewill's stuff, check out And So I Watch You From Afar. Sweet band, and they sound a lot like MSW.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
ASIWYFA absolutely destroy live, I saw them in a tiny room that held maybe 50 people, the place nearly exploded. Highly recommended.

I also suggest you all check out the new French Teen Idol album, it's a mix of post rock and electronic drum beats, and it is brilliant. There's sound clips for vocals as well in some tracks if you're into that kind of thing.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha

Jetstar posted:

And here's a thinker: Why do bands like Gifts from Enola bother having a singer when you have to literally blast the music just to hear them sing? I've noticed a few bands doing this now, and it's beyond me why they'd even bother.

yeah and why do bands put out vinyl? I don't even have a record player for crying out loud!

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Ahhh I'm rocking a Gifts from Enola t-shirt right now - I hope they come back up to Boston.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jetstar posted:

Why do bands like Gifts from Enola bother having a singer when you have to literally blast the music just to hear them sing? I've noticed a few bands doing this now, and it's beyond me why they'd even bother.

Hint: the vocals are an instrument, not a lead. Never bothered listening to My Bloody Valentine's lyrics and I'm not about to start -- it's just not the point.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Capitan Dad posted:

yeah and why do bands put out vinyl? I don't even have a record player for crying out loud!
You're missing out.

quote:

Hint: the vocals are an instrument, not a lead.
Suddenly it all makes sense.

http://www.last.fm/music/Riding+Alone+For+Thousands+of+Miles/Demo+songs+for+upcoming+studio+debut+album+TBA+2009
Riding Alone For Thousands of Miles put a few songs up way back that are much better than their first release. I know a lot of people were put off by it, so maybe you should give them a second chance? For those who haven't heard of them, they are pretty much Godspeed with more of an electronic influence.

Jetstar fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 19, 2009

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Jan posted:

Hint: the vocals are an instrument, not a lead.

This is how I treat all vocals.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

So how are Gifts from Enola live? I'm seeing them tomorrow night I think.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

albear posted:

So how are Gifts from Enola live? I'm seeing them tomorrow night I think.
I've never been to one myself, but I've heard good things about them. I bet their sound translates good into a live format too.

I'm not lucky enough to live near any major concert spots, so I've never heard a band (that I like) live. My best bet is probably EITS, if they ever decide to hit up Indiana for a show. Speaking of EITS, they have a new album in the works last time I heard. Any word on that besides the newsletter they sound out a month back?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Caspian LP's leaked.

S'good.

Edit: One of the songs appears to be duplicated.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jul 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

albear
Jun 7, 2001

Jetstar posted:

I've never been to one myself, but I've heard good things about them. I bet their sound translates good into a live format too.

I'm not lucky enough to live near any major concert spots, so I've never heard a band (that I like) live. My best bet is probably EITS, if they ever decide to hit up Indiana for a show. Speaking of EITS, they have a new album in the works last time I heard. Any word on that besides the newsletter they sound out a month back?

I ended up not being able to see them. Their show fell through at the bar they were supposed to play at but they ended up getting a show at some local band's house but they weren't playing until 11 and I gotta be in bed by 12.

thehustler posted:

Caspian LP's leaked.

S'good.

Edit: One of the songs appears to be duplicated.

Yeah, apparently it's a web rip that the band accidentally uploaded but has removed now.