Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Phone posted:

Suspension damage? Torqued body? Out of balance wheels? Bad alignment?
Not C or D since the problem happened with the old and new wheels, and before and after the alignment I had done after the accident. I'd been thinking about replacing the springs to lower it and tighten up the suspension. Is it possible this will also fix the vibration?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

My miata broke down on the side of the road. Is there are place in the front to tow it? I would rather not pay for a towtruck if I don't have to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

compton rear end terry posted:

My miata broke down on the side of the road. Is there are place in the front to tow it? I would rather not pay for a towtruck if I don't have to.

There's the "baby tooth" if you haven't removed it, but I think that might be a tie-down only.

threepac
Sep 26, 2008

OHMED!
I've been trying to find a shop manual for my '04 MSM, but I can't seem to locate one. Do any of you guys know where I could get one?

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.
Nothing to see here.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Hey, I'm also thinking about a hard top, is there a noticeable difference between the first and second generation, other than the rear window defrost? How about noise? And how much should I expect to pay for one in reasonable condition?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
$1000

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Depending on what you want, it'll cost you about 1k for the hardtop, then a couple hundred in striker/defroster hardware.

I told you to buy one with a hardtop :argh:

aceuvspades
May 26, 2006

destructo posted:

Those have to be one of the top 10 sexiest wheels ever designed, IMO. A timeless masterpeice- if you will.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Anyone else experience pitifully weak paint on the front bumper?

I drive ~300 miles on the interstate round trip every week or so. This past weekend I decided to wash my car really well, and was appalled at the countless paint nicks (most of them only a few mm) on the front bumper. So many that I worry that if I were to use touch up paint on all of them the bumper would still look like crap. Would a good wax job help hide these small chips? Do I need a full re-paint? Or should I just learn to live with it as a side effect of interstate travel?

The car is a 2003 NB.

threepac
Sep 26, 2008

OHMED!

Previa_fun posted:

Anyone else experience pitifully weak paint on the front bumper?

I drive ~300 miles on the interstate round trip every week or so. This past weekend I decided to wash my car really well, and was appalled at the countless paint nicks (most of them only a few mm) on the front bumper. So many that I worry that if I were to use touch up paint on all of them the bumper would still look like crap. Would a good wax job help hide these small chips? Do I need a full re-paint? Or should I just learn to live with it as a side effect of interstate travel?

The car is a 2003 NB.

Yeah, I have this problem too - wax won't hide the big ones, but it's pretty good at hiding the little scratches.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

The Third Man posted:

Hey, I'm also thinking about a hard top, is there a noticeable difference between the first and second generation, other than the rear window defrost? How about noise? And how much should I expect to pay for one in reasonable condition?

also: http://www.miata.net/garage/hardtop/

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Phone posted:

Depending on what you want, it'll cost you about 1k for the hardtop, then a couple hundred in striker/defroster hardware.

I told you to buy one with a hardtop :argh:

yeah...

I see a couple used ones on craigslist for 5-700, is there any reason to avoid them if they don't look like poo poo? I know I need striker plates, is the defroster poo poo absolutely necessary?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

The Third Man posted:

yeah...

I see a couple used ones on craigslist for 5-700, is there any reason to avoid them if they don't look like poo poo? I know I need striker plates, is the defroster poo poo absolutely necessary?

SnugTops regularly go for $500ish, but don't get one of those because they suck (I have one). You can tell by the latches: OEM tops have latches that look like the convertible latches. SnugTops have these crummy ones that are just folded steel. Also the weatherstripping on the SnugTop is not adjustable and just generally sucks compared to OEM. Also one of my cleats (that goes over the frankenstien bolts) broke off. :(

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

well, I don't really want to spend more than 6-700 if I decide I wanna get one, so if it's not falling apart and looks as nice as the OEM one I probably won't care too much. Anyone able to comment on the noise reduction with a headline, as opposed to without?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I can't comment on one without. Mine has the headliner and it's a loving Miata, so it is going to be noisy as hell. It is quieter with a hardtop on, though.

If they check out in person, there's no reason not to get it.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Anybody wanna recommend me some strictly summer tires for my 95 M? All four are in need of replacement and one of them went flat the other day, so looks like I finally have to shell out for em. I'm not particularly looking for something that will last forever, since I dont put all that many miles on my car. It'd be nice if I could use them for AutoX as well as daily driving. We dont get much ice or snow here and when we do I have a second car available.

Also, anybody know anything about these GAHH tops GoMiata.net is selling? My last top was a Robbins Top and I wasnt particularly thrilled with it. I basically just want a vinyl top with a glass rear window and defroster.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Hankook R-S2. If you have 15" wheels, go for the R-S3s.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Phone posted:

Hankook R-S2. If you have 15" wheels, go for the R-S3s.

I do have the 15's, but isnt 225 a bit wide for a 6 inch wheel? Im thinking I'll just go with the RS-2's. They're a bit cheaper and seem like they would fit my needs perfectly.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

There's the "baby tooth" if you haven't removed it, but I think that might be a tie-down only.

That's tie down only. If you attempt to pull a Miata by its baby teeth bad things happen.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Schwack posted:

Anybody wanna recommend me some strictly summer tires for my 95 M? All four are in need of replacement and one of them went flat the other day, so looks like I finally have to shell out for em. I'm not particularly looking for something that will last forever, since I dont put all that many miles on my car. It'd be nice if I could use them for AutoX as well as daily driving. We dont get much ice or snow here and when we do I have a second car available.

Also, anybody know anything about these GAHH tops GoMiata.net is selling? My last top was a Robbins Top and I wasnt particularly thrilled with it. I basically just want a vinyl top with a glass rear window and defroster.

You want good summer/track tires? I have been absolutely thrilled by my Falken Azenis RT-615s. Ive got maybe 2,000 miles on them, and so far so good, treads looking a touch worn but I bet I can get another 6 or 8 thousand miles on them. They hold on like hell. I am not kidding, those things grip on dry pavement like you wouldn't believe. They are not so good on wet surfaces ( decent or so) and ice is just taking your life into your own hands.

I got mine since some of the other fellas in the local club recommended them for autocross. The general consensus is they do 10-12 K depending on how you drive and they work great for summer/track tires.

-Sorry about the double post, won't happen again.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 22, 2009

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

I just went ahead and ordered the RS-2s after reading some reviews online. I had a set of the RT615's for my Cobra, but they get spendy quickly, haha.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

PadreScout posted:

That's tie down only. If you attempt to pull a Miata by its baby teeth bad things happen.
Wait, I thought that when you install a track tow hook you replace one of the baby teeth with it at the same mount point?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

PadreScout posted:

You want good summer/track tires? I have been absolutely thrilled by my Falken Azenis RT-615s. Ive got maybe 2,000 miles on them, and so far so good, treads looking a touch worn but I bet I can get another 6 or 8 thousand miles on them. They hold on like hell. I am not kidding, those things grip on dry pavement like you wouldn't believe. They are not so good on wet surfaces ( decent or so) and ice is just taking your life into your own hands.

I got mine since some of the other fellas in the local club recommended them for autocross. The general consensus is they do 10-12 K depending on how you drive and they work great for summer/track tires.

-Sorry about the double post, won't happen again.

Falken Azenis are alright, the R-S2 is the superior tire.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

How about the newer generation of tires? I'm planning on getting the 15x7.5 6UL's if he ever makes them again and running STS next year. Has any one run the 205/50/15 Kuhmo XS yet? Or should I just pay the extra and get RE11's or RS-3's. Would the 225 tires be too heavy for a stock 91?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
RE11s are expensive as gently caress. I've heard good things about the R-S3s and Direzza Star Specs.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

205/50R15 re11's are $120 a tire, 225/45ZR15 rs-3's are $124, the XS in 205/50R15 is only $88 per tire. The star spec doesn't come in a close enough size unfortunately. The AD08 does come in 205/50R15 at $118 though. I think that covers all the current top summer tires, so unless the XS is really that much slower than the other tires I don't see any reason not to get it.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Hog Obituary posted:

Wait, I thought that when you install a track tow hook you replace one of the baby teeth with it at the same mount point?

I can't comment on that (no tow hook) but I've been told by Mazda mechanics that one of the first things you should do with a Miata is pull those baby teeth off to remove the temptation of trying to drag it by it. I suppose it's possible that they were blowing smoke up my rear end but I don't see any reason why they would do that.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Diverting from tires, I've read a few times now that rebuilding the shifter is a good idea because the boot can tear, among other things. Would anyone happen to know if there is a simple kit I can buy to do this, and if there is a little walkthrough I can follow to do this(as well as replacing the turret fluid?)

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

The Third Man posted:

Diverting from tires, I've read a few times now that rebuilding the shifter is a good idea because the boot can tear, among other things. Would anyone happen to know if there is a simple kit I can buy to do this, and if there is a little walkthrough I can follow to do this(as well as replacing the turret fluid?)

Guide
http://www.miata.net/garage/shiftboot.html

Upper Boot
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/product.php?productid=16546&cat=296&page=5

Lower Boot
http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/product.php?productid=16545&cat=296&page=5

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Thanks a lot, ordered. How much does it help the feel if you replace these, if your old boot(s) are torn?

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

The Third Man posted:

Thanks a lot, ordered. How much does it help the feel if you replace these, if your old boot(s) are torn?

Replacing the boots doesn't really help much with feel but it might firm it up a bit, it's more for heat and noise. Replacing the turret fluid can help the feel quite a bit if it's never been changed.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

Would you recommend any particular gearbox oil for it? It's only a few ounces, so if getting some nicer stuff makes a difference it would probably be worth it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Redline transmission 75w90 or whatever they recommended in the m.net article.

Chauncey
Sep 16, 2007

Gibbering
Fathead

Hi guys, my car has started giving me some troubles. It's a 92 1.6 5 speed w/ 90k miles. For the past week, when cold and under load, the engine sputters like hell. It used to only do it below 4k and only for about 5 minutes of driving then it would go away.

Now the engine almost does not want to build rpm at all when under any load below 4k rpm until about 20 minutes of driving. After that, the sputtering goes away for the most part but is still identifiable. It's almost as if the sputtering is then background noise behind the steadily climbing engine note(if that makes any sense).

If anyone can point me in the right direction before I tear into it this weekend it would be appreciated.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

PadreScout posted:

I can't comment on that (no tow hook) but I've been told by Mazda mechanics that one of the first things you should do with a Miata is pull those baby teeth off to remove the temptation of trying to drag it by it. I suppose it's possible that they were blowing smoke up my rear end but I don't see any reason why they would do that.

Because they're mechanics, and they have no idea what they are talking about. The baby teeth are used on the freight ships to strap the cars down, and SM guys use them to strap the cars to trailers all the time. You can easily drag the car by one.

beatdown
Mar 6, 2007

Chauncey posted:

Hi guys, my car has started giving me some troubles. It's a 92 1.6 5 speed w/ 90k miles. For the past week, when cold and under load, the engine sputters like hell. It used to only do it below 4k and only for about 5 minutes of driving then it would go away.

Now the engine almost does not want to build rpm at all when under any load below 4k rpm until about 20 minutes of driving. After that, the sputtering goes away for the most part but is still identifiable. It's almost as if the sputtering is then background noise behind the steadily climbing engine note(if that makes any sense).

If anyone can point me in the right direction before I tear into it this weekend it would be appreciated.

When was the last time you changed the spark plugs and wires?

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot
http://dontevenreply.com/view.php?post=27

quote:

From Mike Anderson to Katie ********

My truck is pretty big. It is a Mazda Miata and it can hold around 3 people. You will probably have to sit on Steve's lap. He's fat though, so it will be somewhat comfortable to sit on. Are you attractive? My only concern is that Steve may get turned on when you are sitting on his lap. If this is an issue, you can sit on Josh's lap because he is gay. The only problem with that is that if you are fat, you may crush him because he is a small dude. But if you are fat you can probably just sit on Steve's lap without him getting aroused.

From Katie ******* to Me

what?! how the hell are you going to fit 5 people in a miata? that isnt a truck! i dont want to sit on anyones lap.

From Mike Anderson to Katie ********

Oh, I get it. You are one of those Ford fanboys that likes to hate on Miatas. That's okay, I'm not too adamant about Mazdas. If you don't want to sit on Steve or Josh's lap, you can sit on mine, since I have a girlfriend and won't try anything. You will have to drive since my legs will be stuck, though. That's probably better, anyway, since my license is revoked until 2012, and I have a few warrants. Do you know how to drive stick? If you don't, I can teach you. You can pick it up in like five minutes.

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I'd figure I'd ask this question here instead of starting a new thread. My dad is looking for a small convertible and was solely focused on a Capri but I've managed to get him to look at the Miata. What is too high mileage for this car? He's looking at a 1990 with 150k miles on the clock. It's in excellent condition and comes with a hardtop and the soft top. The guy is asking $3500, which seems a little high to me for a car that old with that miles.

Is a Miata with that many miles worth buying? What are some things to ask the seller about what maintenance has been done to the car? My dad is pretty handy with cars and owned his own speed shop back in the seventies, so he can do general maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

beatdown posted:

When was the last time you changed the spark plugs and wires?

I'd agree with the wires too, that sounds perfect.