Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fossey
Mar 31, 2003

Fresh bananas for the whole crew!

Armacham posted:

I've never really ridden a bike other than small displacement scooters and dirtbikes, so I mostly wanted just to take a look at some in person. I'm definitely not buying anything on this short of notice without a little more research.

In the past in discussions with some Yamaha and Ducati dealer friends of mine, they both say that about 35-40% of their sales are people who were just looking to see some bikes but were not going to buy one that day :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
I'm new to riding and have to get a bike that I can reduce to 34 hp because that's all I'm allowed to ride for two years (german law). Today I had a look at a 1992 Kawasaki KLR650-B Tengai. It has 30k miles on it, which is the point that the engines start breaking down, but i talked to the mechanic who inspected it the last couple years and he says he has one like that with 50k miles still going strong on the first cylinder. It has a rusty exhaust, but I can weld that. The main selling point is that it is supposed to be a good bike for beginners, and that it is a really good deal at 600€/850$. The other bikes i see around here are usually from the eighties and more like 800€. I was looking to spend under 1k, so with the reduction kit i'd be well within my limit. Anyone got any experience with this bike?

edit: bikez.com ratings are pretty good

niethan fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 29, 2009

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Again, it's a KLR so it should be pretty studly for reliability and longevity if it's being used and taken care of regularly. AFAIK it shares pretty much everything with the KLR650A that I posted on the previous page, except for the fairings obviously, and I think the suspension geometry may be a bit different. Same offroad caveats apply to the Tengai as to the 2nd-gen KLR that I was talking about.

If you do get it, go show it off on KLR650.net. The Tengai is pretty rare in North America.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
80's Bikes aren't that bad, honestly. Cool thing about them is that there are LOADS of them around. :) Why not go for a gs400, cb400 (restricted), xs400 or gpz400?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Phy posted:

Again, it's a KLR so it should be pretty studly for reliability and longevity if it's being used and taken care of regularly. AFAIK it shares pretty much everything with the KLR650A that I posted on the previous page, except for the fairings obviously, and I think the suspension geometry may be a bit different. Same offroad caveats apply to the Tengai as to the 2nd-gen KLR that I was talking about.
Yeah, I'm not planning on going offroad with it, more touring.

Mercator posted:

80's Bikes aren't that bad, honestly. Cool thing about them is that there are LOADS of them around. :) Why not go for a gs400, cb400 (restricted), xs400 or gpz400?

Oh I did consider them, but for the most part they were 1000€+

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

niethan posted:

I'm new to riding and have to get a bike that I can reduce to 34 hp because that's all I'm allowed to ride for two years (german law) . . . I was looking to spend under 1k, so with the reduction kit i'd be well within my limit.

. . . my mouth hangs agape at the very concept of this

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004
Buying a 1995 Ducati Monster Basket Case:

I saw this ad on craigslist http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/1290127428.html and thought the bike might make a good project. How much should I offer is it worth the full $1k? I'm thinking around $600-$750 as replacing the stud will probably require tearing the engine apart and it's 15 years old with indeterminate miles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sick_Nukes posted:

Buying a 1995 Ducati Monster Basket Case:

I saw this ad on craigslist http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/mcy/1290127428.html and thought the bike might make a good project. How much should I offer is it worth the full $1k? I'm thinking around $600-$750 as replacing the stud will probably require tearing the engine apart and it's 15 years old with indeterminate miles.

I'd say around 600-800$. It's not a horrible deal for a grand, just average. My estimation on those things tends to stick with me coming in a very good amount under what it could be reasonably sold for. With a bike like that in that condition with everything fixed, you'd probably be looking at 3500$, so you could concivably dump 2000$ into it and still come out at least even if not a little ahead. I'd bargin him down a little and then go for it if it was in my area.

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
I'm about ready to buy my first bike and am pretty set on the SV650. Any problems with these bikes/would it be insane to start with something that big? General consensus in the SV thread seems to be that they're generally okay with a bit of self control.

Anyway, I found these two near me.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/1295130604.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1289407586.html

One's a 2005 with 15k miles for $3000 but has a salvage title.
The other is a 2002 with fewer than 10k miles for $3700 and super clean.

Which one is a better deal or should I just keep looking?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

King of all Machines Operate posted:

I'm about ready to buy my first bike and am pretty set on the SV650. Any problems with these bikes/would it be insane to start with something that big? General consensus in the SV thread seems to be that they're generally okay with a bit of self control.

Anyway, I found these two near me.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/mcy/1295130604.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1289407586.html

One's a 2005 with 15k miles for $3000 but has a salvage title.
The other is a 2002 with fewer than 10k miles for $3700 and super clean.

Which one is a better deal or should I just keep looking?

The salvage title is a better deal, IF it was a cosmetic salvage and everything's ok with it. I've owned a number of salvage title bikes and haven't had any issues with them, but I also knew what I was looking at. If you can take a friend or have a mechanic look over the salvage title bike, that's what I'd go for.

3700$ is way too much for an 02, regardless of how clean it is. Blue book is 3400$. I'd only pay 3k given that it's the end of the season and there's plenty of bikes available for dirt cheap because of the economy.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Tsaven Nava posted:

BUY IT YOU human being. BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT

I did :P

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

niethan posted:

It has 30k miles on it, which is the point that the engines start breaking down, but i talked to the mechanic who inspected it the last couple years and he says he has one like that with 50k miles still going strong on the first cylinder.

Are you referring to bike engines in general only lasting 30k miles? Or just this model of bike making GBS threads itself after that long? Because if it's the first, that's total horseshit, and if it's the second, run far far away and find something else.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
On a second thought, this might be an even better deal

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/1282816959.html

My friend bought his 2001 SV650 for $3200 with 5k miles and said I'd probably be able to do better. Thoughts?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Tsaven Nava posted:

. . . my mouth hangs agape at the very concept of this
If you're over when you get your license 25 you can ride as big as you want from the beginning, I'm 24 now so I need to ride smaller ones for two years until i'm 26, which is kinda silly.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Are you referring to bike engines in general only lasting 30k miles? Or just this model of bike making GBS threads itself after that long? Because if it's the first, that's total horseshit, and if it's the second, run far far away and find something else.

Some motorbike magazine said that 30-40k is the area the engines on this particular model can start acting up and the cylinder needs some work, but i've been reading around and finding several people who say they've been running them much longer without problems, and the mechanic who has been servicing it already said that this one hasn't been giving any indication of being problematic yet. And this is supposed to be my beginners bike, so it doesn't really have to hold up forever.

niethan fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 30, 2009

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

niethan posted:

If you're over when you get your license 25 you can ride as big as you want from the beginning, I'm 24 now so I need to ride smaller ones for two years until i'm 26, which is kinda silly.

Wow, that's just full of epic fail. Even more so that the MFRs are so complacent with this that they sell neutering kits? Ouch, just ouch.

I guess that law wouldn't effect me too much, as I'm 25 and got my license only a few months ago, and my first bike is 55hp.

(good god, I only got my license three months ago. That's weird the more I think about it, especially given that I've put almost 20,000 miles on the bike since then.)

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Ok I bought my first motorized vehicle I'm so excited but I won't get to ride it for another three weeks till I get my license :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

niethan posted:

They actually penalize you if you get a years experience? That's pretty hosed up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

On a second thought, this might be an even better deal

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/1282816959.html

My friend bought his 2001 SV650 for $3200 with 5k miles and said I'd probably be able to do better. Thoughts?

Link expired. KLR engines don't break after 30k, as long as they're maintained. Many people think "hurr, bikes are disposable after 30k" and they're idiots.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
It was a 2003 SV650 with 7k miles and minor scratches on the front fender/tank for $2900.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Z3n posted:

Link expired. KLR engines don't break after 30k, as long as they're maintained. Many people think "hurr, bikes are disposable after 30k" and they're idiots.

I was going to say that the "engines explode after 30k" sounds more like "I never checked or adjusted the valves and the poor thing made it to 30k"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tsaven Nava posted:

Wow, that's just full of epic fail. Even more so that the MFRs are so complacent with this that they sell neutering kits? Ouch, just ouch.

I guess that law wouldn't effect me too much, as I'm 25 and got my license only a few months ago, and my first bike is 55hp.

(good god, I only got my license three months ago. That's weird the more I think about it, especially given that I've put almost 20,000 miles on the bike since then.)

I think it's mostly done to discourage the squiddies and to keep noobs off the Autobahn. From what I remember, automobile licensing in Germany is horribly draconian as well, and they expect that you know how to operate a motor vehicle in a competent and responsible loving manner before they unleash you into the wild.

If it's a regulatory thing, selling restrictors makes a decent amount of sense. Larger displacement bikes tend to cost more money and make more profit, so if you can sell young Heinrich Shqvidheimer a restricted 650 new out of the showroom, you'll be making more money than on a 125. And for people buying used, you can charge for the installation of the restrictor, and for the removal of it if they decide to keep the bike. It's usually a pretty simple thing, too, like smaller orifices in the carb or a remap of the EFI.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Yeah I totally agree with the principle of forcing kids to learn riding on bikes that won't try to kill them as much, I'm just in this hickup where waiting another half year would let me ride bigger from the get go. No biggie, the restricting should cost me 100-150€

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

It was a 2003 SV650 with 7k miles and minor scratches on the front fender/tank for $2900.

Not bad at all. Probably already sold.

Also, even if something is a good deal, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to haggle anyways. That goes double if they haven't had any interest in the last month/week/3 hours and you've got a good amount of cash on hand. I've only paid the listed price for a couple of my bikes (ones that were already absolutely screaming deals), and sometimes I've gotten them at upwards of 50% off by noticing other flaws and bringing them up in a polite and respectful manner.

Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Not sold yet. Going to see it tomorrow :)
It was up for more than a week and I only missed it earlier because i had been searching "SV650" instead of "SV 650." Most people probably made the same mistake.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
I'm a 5'5 girl looking for a good adventure bike. I've been riding a 125cc scooter for about a year and I'd like something more powerful and off road capable.

I sat on a KLR650 at the dealership this morning and it was way too big. I don't think I could control it, maybe if I had it lowered and shaved the seat, but I don't want to do all that only to find I'm still intimidated by it. I love the look of that bike though. The Super Sherpa felt cozy, but it's barely a step up as far as engine size goes. If I'm going to spring for a new bike, I want it to be a significant step up! I don't want to get in the habit of buying bigger and bigger brand new bikes every year (because I really can't afford to).

There's some cheapo offerings on craigslist nearby. I really like this one and it seems like a good deal, but old: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/1295204615.html at least I wouldn't feel guilty about taking off road or crashing it...

Advice?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Becktastic posted:

I'm a 5'5 girl looking for a good adventure bike. I've been riding a 125cc scooter for about a year and I'd like something more powerful and off road capable.

I sat on a KLR650 at the dealership this morning and it was way too big. I don't think I could control it, maybe if I had it lowered and shaved the seat, but I don't want to do all that only to find I'm still intimidated by it. I love the look of that bike though. The Super Sherpa felt cozy, but it's barely a step up as far as engine size goes. If I'm going to spring for a new bike, I want it to be a significant step up! I don't want to get in the habit of buying bigger and bigger brand new bikes every year (because I really can't afford to).

There's some cheapo offerings on craigslist nearby. I really like this one and it seems like a good deal, but old: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/1295204615.html at least I wouldn't feel guilty about taking off road or crashing it...

Advice?

A bike like that would be a great starter for dual sport, assuming you can get a foot down. Part of the foot down thing is confidence, a tall bike seems intimidating until you get used to it and confidence is integral to control, so follow your instincts.

The Dr350's are going to lag a bit on the highway, but off road it should be a better bike than a KLR. And yes, your first dual sport/off road bike should be used because you will fall down, just the way it is.

That being said-DR350's and even 250/225's are used to travel the corners of the earth. I know a young lady who rode a XT from Anchorage to Dawson and back and made it just fine, DR350's do the trip, that one looks clean and the price is OK (I guess), it's worth a look.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Becktastic posted:

Advice?

I have a friend who started on a sportbike, wasn't really suited to it, and it spent most of it's time in the garage. Then he bought a DR350, and he's put more miles in 3 months with the thing than he did in the last 5 years of owning his sportbike. I had a chance to take it for a spin, what an awesome little bike. Highly recommended, lotta fun. Maybe see if you can bargin him down a bit :)

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Note; I am actually becktastic's boyfriend, so we were looking at grabbing a couple of bikes to go on rides together so obviously we want something with similiar performance and range.

Of course being the typical guy I want a huge bike that she won't fit on, and ideally we would have the exact same bike to make everything as simple as possible

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Becktastic posted:

Advice?

ADV rider says the WR250R is the best dual sport ever. It apparently cruises the highway better than the DRZ400S and is also better offroad. I havn't riden one, but I read through the ADV thread yesterday. Go check it out!

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
Another question on "what bike to get", although while previously I was asking about liter-cruisers, now I'm wondering about the opposite direction.

What exists in the dirt-cheap, 250cc commuter standard/sportbike class that is good for taller people? A Ninja 250 sounds perfect, but I tried one on at a dealer about a year ago, and I felt like I was folding up like a pretzel to fit on it. I'm not that tall, but I do have kinda long legs (6', 34" inseam).

Which is sad, because on craigslist there seem to be many late-80s or early-90s Ninja 250s going for $1000 or less. Anything else that one could recommend?

I ask because there's a chance I'll be moving to NYC, and will want something for commuting/city usage, that isn't a 500lb sloppy cruiser.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not in the 250 range, unless you wanted to try out one of the 250 dualsports, or the KLX or WR250 supermotos if you were feeling flush. Have you considered along the lines of a GS500E?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

Not in the 250 range, unless you wanted to try out one of the 250 dualsports, or the KLX or WR250 supermotos if you were feeling flush. Have you considered along the lines of a GS500E?

I wouldn't go for a WR250SM...underpowered with wheel sizes that are impossible to get modern sticky rubber in. (110/70; 140/70) You could stretch a 150 on there, but why when the DRZ400SM can be found for cheaper, with more aftermarket, more power, and only a little more weight?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Z3n posted:

Why when the DRZ400SM can be found for cheaper, with more aftermarket, more power, and only a little more weight?

Cheap, really? I must fail or something, because I can't find anything older then '06, and I was looking for something late 80s/early 90s, that can be had in reasonable condition for $1000 if you're patient.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Phy posted:

Well the WR250X actually looks pretty freakin' perfect, except for the fact that they look to be fairly new and therefor, expensive.

The big appeal of a Ninja 250 was that they're floating around for ~$1000 :(

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
What would be a decent price on a 98-02 BMW K1200RS with luggage, 25-40k miles? KBB lists a trade-in value of $4690, so I was thinking like maybe $5200 without anything? +$300 ish for luggage? Any thoughts?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

edit: ^^^ halfway between the blue books is usually a good starting point for one in excellent condition. Subtract money accordingly.

Tsaven Nava posted:

Cheap, really? I must fail or something, because I can't find anything older then '06, and I was looking for something late 80s/early 90s, that can be had in reasonable condition for $1000 if you're patient.

Cheaper than the 5300$ + fees MSRP of the WR.

There was a KLX300 for sale with SM stuff on it for just under 2k on barf earlier today.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302562

There's also stuff like this up every so often:

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301352

If you're looking for a bike under a grand, be prepared to do a little work though.

I had an XR500 for 750$, it had some problems but was street legal and everything. Just gotta keep trolling craigslist. In that price range you're more dictated by the market than anything else.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande
gently caress. Now I want a Supermotard. Dammit, at some point I have to make up my mind on what sort of bike my next ride will be.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
What's a good price on an 02 Shadow Deluxe? I'm looking at this one:

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2002-HONDA-VT600CDT-SHDW-VLX-DLX-95437513

But NADA tells me the bike is only really worth 1850 to 2310. I haven't visually inspected it yet, but anything I should look for/caveats about this bike? Any reason I shouldn't get this as my first bike? There aren't a lot for sale around here used that aren't dirt bikes or 10k+ Harleys, unfortunately.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/mcy/1289800814.html :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Uncle Ivan posted:

What would be a decent price on a 98-02 BMW K1200RS with luggage, 25-40k miles? KBB lists a trade-in value of $4690, so I was thinking like maybe $5200 without anything? +$300 ish for luggage? Any thoughts?

drat, the price of those bikes has really taken a dump. One of the all time top sport touring machines, if you can find one for $5500ish it would be a lot of bike for the money.