Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Looks like Gifts from Enola are playing here in St. Paul next Wednesday. After hearing some stuff on their myspace, I think maybe I should go. Can't really beat a $4 show anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Hooplah posted:

Looks like Gifts from Enola are playing here in St. Paul next Wednesday. After hearing some stuff on their myspace, I think maybe I should go. Can't really beat a $4 show anyway.

You have no idea how jealous I am..

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I'm debating driving ~3 hrs to see them in a couple weeks. They'd better be good live.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I know Sigur Ros are like the Beatles of post-rock but I'm just now getting into them as an introduction to the genre and it's really, really gorgeous.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I know Sigur Ros are like the Beatles of post-rock but I'm just now getting into them as an introduction to the genre and it's really, really gorgeous.

Comparing SR to The Beatles implies The Beatles were actually good :colbert:

In another episode of "hey guys here's a myspace link" check out Parhelia, these guys are God Is An Astronaut's touring buddies whenever they play Ireland, and while they do play by the numbers post rock, they're pretty refined and accessible (good for converting friends!)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Rhg0061r posted:

Comparing SR to The Beatles implies The Beatles were actually good :colbert:

Funny you should say that, I was thinking the contrary. :c00lbert:

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Going to see EITS in september in Sheffield! Can't wait, I've never seen them before. I need to get more into post-rock again, nothing recently has grabbed me that much.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Going to see EITS in september in Sheffield! Can't wait, I've never seen them before. I need to get more into post-rock again, nothing recently has grabbed me that much.
You'll get to see Munafs crazy drunk-headbang thing he does, and I bet he'll stand on his guitar after Memorial.

Check out the song Snayk's Tale by Irepress. Maybe a bit more heavy than most people like (for post-rock that is). I found them while listening to the radio feed over at http://www.postrocking.com/ Great site, everyone should check it out.

Jetstar fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 26, 2009

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Speaking of EITS, anyone else going to the End Of The Road festival in the UK? They are the main headliners and I have a media pass once again so I'll be photoing it up in front of the barrier, maybe try and get to meet them.

https://www.endoftheroadfestival.com

Tickets are selling out fast, I think. But it's a great festival so you should definitely look into going.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
DMST put out fall 2009 tour dates recently:
http://www.domakesaythink.com/tourdates.html

hope they plan to expand the US touring range :shobon:

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

swarthmeister posted:

DMST put out fall 2009 tour dates recently:
http://www.domakesaythink.com/tourdates.html

hope they plan to expand the US touring range :shobon:
And yet another one of my favorite bands that I won't be seeing. If anyone is on the fence about this, GO. They are amazing live, and it's a really high energy performance.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Likewise, pity it's at the Leadmill though, that venue's become so lovely in the last couple of years. They let far too many people in. Still, should be a better size than when I saw them at Manchester Academy and everyone talked through Eluvium and pissed me off.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

shmee posted:

Still, should be a better size than when I saw them at Manchester Academy and everyone talked through Eluvium and pissed me off.

God that was loving annoying.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Jetstar posted:

Irepress

Irepress are really great, I definitely recommend their new album Sol Eye Sea I. From the very beginning it's pretty clear that it's different from other post-rock albums in way: They're willing to get heavy, drawing from hardcore music occasionally just as strongly as they do from post rock. It adds a cool element to their music.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Thanks for Irepress, they are loving great.
Whilst snooping through their top friends, i ran into this genius band (i mean it, its really cool):

http://www.myspace.com/badrabbitsband

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

I know you wouldn't think from listening to it but the pit at Irepress shows can get surprisingly rough...

Impakta
Dec 12, 2007
Stuart from Mogwai has been twittering about going into the studio to record. I can't wait, I think I was one of the few people that really liked The Hawk Is Howling.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

wlokos posted:

Irepress are really great, I definitely recommend their new album Sol Eye Sea I. From the very beginning it's pretty clear that it's different from other post-rock albums in way: They're willing to get heavy, drawing from hardcore music occasionally just as strongly as they do from post rock. It adds a cool element to their music.

Oh god, you weren't kidding. I must get this album. I've only listened to the itunes previews and i already love them.

Demokracy
Jul 23, 2009

I don't know if you would classify them as post-rock or shoe gaze but Múm is one of my favorite bands of all time. They are more electronic or glitch, however since most of the bands listed in this thread are among my favorites as well, I thought I'd list them here in case anyone hasn't heard of them yet. Though that is highly unlikely since they have been around since the late 90's. I highly recommend the albums "Finally We Are No One" and "Summer Make Good., both are excellent.

Here's the official music video release "Green Grass of Tunnel" off the album "Finally We Are No One": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHTFmJk7fH0

And here is the promotional video of "Weeping Rock, Rock" off the album "Summer Make Good": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfQ_fm2CYXQ

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Jetstar posted:

And yet another one of my favorite bands that I won't be seeing. If anyone is on the fence about this, GO. They are amazing live, and it's a really high energy performance.

no kidding -- them + broken social scene in a smaller venue is still one of the best shows I've seen.

not very close this tour, though, ugh

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Impakta posted:

Stuart from Mogwai has been twittering about going into the studio to record. I can't wait, I think I was one of the few people that really liked The Hawk Is Howling.

I personally thought it was really good (as you may already be aware..), stuff like The Sun Smells too Loud was a really welcome departure. And Batcat is one of the best songs they've ever written.

Looking forward to the next album, even if it'll take a while to come out.

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

Big Wreck posted:

I know you wouldn't think from listening to it but the pit at Irepress shows can get surprisingly rough...

I was about to post this. The Irepress Boston area fan base is a bunch of loving meat head tools that gay up show as if it's hardcore. I always get irritated and leave early.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

CzarDestructo posted:

I was about to post this. The Irepress Boston area fan base is a bunch of loving meat head tools that gay up show as if it's hardcore. I always get irritated and leave early.

In their defense, hardcore is probably more popular than post-rock, so I'd expect the majority of the people who go to those shows listen to hardcore and expect a pit.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

CzarDestructo posted:

gently caress you if I went to an Irepress show I would gently caress up everyone including your pansy little observant rear end, why would you leave early repeatedly? Why would you expect no hardcore pit for a band with breakdowns? Why would you be mad because of energy? You were kind of vague so I guess maybe it got a little more personal and they peed in your mouth or something.

Big Wreck
Feb 8, 2004

Well that was unexpected.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Sorry I wasn't trying to be mean I was kinda joking. Also I just got a root canal. :(

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

gently caress you if I went to an Irepress show I would gently caress up everyone including your pansy little observant rear end, why would you leave early repeatedly? Why would you expect no hardcore pit for a band with breakdowns? Why would you be mad because of energy? You were kind of vague so I guess maybe it got a little more personal and they peed in your mouth or something.

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Sorry I wasn't trying to be mean I was kinda joking. Also I just got a root canal.
:wtc:

Cool story about the root canal.

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet
Okay, well I guess what I was trying to say is I see that phenomenon sometimes pretty commonly here around the Houston scene where there is sometimes a rift between certain people at shows. For example at the recent Emarosa show the pit was getting pretty crazy at times and it was obvious that many fans who expected a "softer" show were getting butthurt over a little shoving by the "meat head" hardcore kids, the attitude that energy is bad for a show just kind of irks me especially as long as nobodys getting like stabbed or something

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

Okay, well I guess what I was trying to say is I see that phenomenon sometimes pretty commonly here around the Houston scene where there is sometimes a rift between certain people at shows. For example at the recent Emarosa show the pit was getting pretty crazy at times and it was obvious that many fans who expected a "softer" show were getting butthurt over a little shoving by the "meat head" hardcore kids, the attitude that energy is bad for a show just kind of irks me especially as long as nobodys getting like stabbed or something

I think the issue here is that you went to see Emarosa.

Also, not understanding the Irepress love in here. They sound really boring to me. It kinda sounds like bad metalcore without most of the stupid vocals.

albear fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 30, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

shmee posted:

Still, should be a better size than when I saw them at Manchester Academy and everyone talked through Eluvium and pissed me off.

This happens at every Eluvium performance ever.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
Irepress is badass and I would love to see some of their live shows if it is indeed more energetic. I'm kinda tired of just standing in place that is most post-rock concerts.

But anyway, I discovered this band "Miaou" from Japan. Solid post-rock to be found, just ordered two albums of theirs. Future Pavillion is my favorite of theirs so far.

http://www.myspace.com/miaoumusic

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
The new Caspian album is up on gimmesound. (Downloadable 320kbps mp3s)

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

WoG posted:

Caspian European Release at Make My Day Records
To support Caspian and the European release of their music, please visit the Make My Day Records webstore and purchase Caspian releases through them.

I hate living in Europe, sad thing is, it's cheaper to buy CDs from The Mylene Sheath than it is to get them from their European label.

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

x TOMMYBOY x posted:

I never said meat head hardcore kids, I said meat heads that act like it's hardcore. Generally when Irepress plays Boston it attracts Northeastern Abercrombie frat boys (because Irepress FORMED while they were going to Northeastern) that slam dance because it's cool and they'll probably never do it again in their life. They have no idea whats going on or how to do it respectfully, they're just wasted and acting like assholes. This has happened the last two times I've seen them.

And I left early twice because I cared about the opening band, not so much Irepress. Last time I saw them Caspian opened up and everyone was respectful and had a good time while they played, I personally think Caspian has more epic break downs. Soon as Irepress took the stage all the idiots moved forward and all hell broke loose.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Welp, just booked Crippled Black Phoenix to play in October. North UKers should come!

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

WoG posted:

Delicious!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Welp, just booked Crippled Black Phoenix to play in October. North UKers should come!

Where north UK?

x TOMMYBOY x
Jan 15, 2008

by angerbeet

CzarDestructo posted:

I never said meat head hardcore kids, I said meat heads that act like it's hardcore. Generally when Irepress plays Boston it attracts Northeastern Abercrombie frat boys (because Irepress FORMED while they were going to Northeastern) that slam dance because it's cool and they'll probably never do it again in their life. They have no idea whats going on or how to do it respectfully, they're just wasted and acting like assholes. This has happened the last two times I've seen them.

And I left early twice because I cared about the opening band, not so much Irepress. Last time I saw them Caspian opened up and everyone was respectful and had a good time while they played, I personally think Caspian has more epic break downs. Soon as Irepress took the stage all the idiots moved forward and all hell broke loose.

Boston + Hardcore-ish band such as Irepress = theres gonna be slam dancing.

All hell broke loose? Sounds fun as hell. :)

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I basically skimmed over the thread again to see if I was reposting this band, but then I saw Irepress a few pages back, so I guess I'll go ahead and post this anyway:

Magyar Posse is a 6-piece band from Finland, and they carry a sound similar to GYBE!. They have two albums out:

Kings of Time (2004)
Probably my favorite release by them, mostly because it's the "sadder" album and sounds like GYBE. The song "II" (two, in case roman numerals aren't your thing), is one of my favorite songs on this particular album.

Random Avenger (2006)
The start of this album is awesome, and it really draws you in much like classical music would. It spans much more territory instrument-wise, one track being entirely piano/violin and the next being organ/drums. Here's the music video for the first track, and it's awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o3LzDdA8Pg

Their music is really hard to put into words, but check out the video above, then try Kings of Time, even though the video is off Random Avenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That sounds like a Bond theme more than anything else.

I've tried and tried again to get into them, but their sound has just never really clicked with me.