Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

That sounds like a Bond theme more than anything else.

I've tried and tried again to get into them, but their sound has just never really clicked with me.

I was exactly the same way, and I totally understand someone just not "getting them", because that's happened to me with a lot of bands (Caspian comes to mind). I think I listened to Kings of Time twice before I caught on and started enjoying them, but I can't say the same for Random Avenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

WoG posted:

The new Caspian album is up on gimmesound. (Downloadable 320kbps mp3s)

Listening to this now. God, it rocks so loving hard. I'm only on the third track so far, but if it keeps up like this all the way to the end, it'll definitely top The Four Trees for me.

edit: Yeah, it's keeping up. Their best album by far. Also, I just sent them a message on Twitter saying how much I liked it and they wrote back :swoon:

edit2: On "The Raven" now. This is exactly how a post-rock album should be. Goddamn.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 31, 2009

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Listening to this now. God, it rocks so loving hard. I'm only on the third track so far, but if it keeps up like this all the way to the end, it'll definitely top The Four Trees for me.

edit: Yeah, it's keeping up. Their best album by far. Also, I just sent them a message on Twitter saying how much I liked it and they wrote back :swoon:

edit2: On "The Raven" now. This is exactly how a post-rock album should be. Goddamn.

Is it available anywhere in Europe for download yet?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

thehustler posted:

Where north UK?

Ulverston, Cumbria. Tiny little place, the gig's gonna have a few other artists, plus video art, photography and artists displaying stuff. Should be fun! :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Ulverston, Cumbria. Tiny little place, the gig's gonna have a few other artists, plus video art, photography and artists displaying stuff. Should be fun! :)

Ooooh, this sounds ace! What date?

I'm in Blackpool so it's not a major trip up there. Depends if I can persuade the girlfriend to come, she's not really a major fan of gigs really, especially if she doesn't like the band :(

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

17th October. I'll be travelling up from Bristol that weekend to go, cause I'm supposed to be helping out/photographing for it. Can't wait!

We've got gently caress buttons playing in Lancaster on the 25th September too if you're into that.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

17th October. I'll be travelling up from Bristol that weekend to go, cause I'm supposed to be helping out/photographing for it. Can't wait!

We've got gently caress buttons playing in Lancaster on the 25th September too if you're into that.

Saw about gently caress Buttons on the Prestone forum. Tempting!

Photographing eh? Need any help? :)

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I'm kind of doing it as a favour for my friend who's running the shows, so it's unpaid. There's no stopping you bringing a camera though! You'd probably be better than me :)

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Jetstar posted:

Oh, and if anyone here likes Maybeshewill's stuff, check out And So I Watch You From Afar. Sweet band, and they sound a lot like MSW.
And So I Watch You From Afar's self titled album has got to be my album of the year. It has completely blown me away. I'm going up to Birmingham just to watch them open for This Will Destroy you (which is a pretty sweet bonus :D )

Thanks to them I'm also getting into Maybeshewill's stuff as well. I'm absolutely loving some of the sampling they've done in some of their songs.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I know Silver Mt. Zion isn't exactly "post-rock", but they usually get put in that genre, so:

"SMZ is at work on new recordings as of spring 2009."

http://www.cstrecords.com/bands/silver-mt-zion

I'm excited! Also,

quote:

I talked to Mike Moya after the show. He said Godspeed would make some new stuff when they aren't busy with their sideprojects. Which means never, i think.

Dunno what that means exactly, but I'm guessing GYBE will never reunite.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

Jetstar posted:

I talked to Mike Moya after the show. He said Godspeed would make some new stuff when they aren't busy with their sideprojects. Which means never, i think.

Dunno what that means exactly, but I'm guessing GYBE will never reunite.

This is more hope than I have had in the past for GYBE.

So definitely some good news there :) I really hope they come to Louisiana.

edit: They just replied to me AGAIN saying they wouldn't miss Louisiana because they love the state. I'm a very happy camper now.

Yesssss! Most post rock bands tend to skip Louisiana even if they do some through the south.

redz fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 20, 2009

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

In case there's anyone else like me in the US that wants to see Caspian live but feels shafted because they're touring Europe for the release of the album, they just replied to me again on Twitter with this:

"we will be doing a full US tour early spring of 2010. really looking forward to it!"

So definitely some good news there :) I really hope they come to Louisiana.

edit: They just replied to me AGAIN saying they wouldn't miss Louisiana because they love the state. I'm a very happy camper now.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 19, 2009

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.
Going to see Explosions in Sheffield, and trying to scrape the cash together to go to 10 Years of ATP to see them again in December.
And Caspian are playing in Peterborough end of September, trying to work out how I get 100 miles east on goodwill and favours. Such a good year, this.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Caspian are touring Europe for like 3 months and totally ignoring Ireland, it's mega poo poo. Least Codes in the Clouds are playing on Friday!

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Didn't see this posted: new Do Make Say Think tour dates meant something, after all.

http://cstrecords.com/releases/cst062
new DMST album, October 19/20

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Rhg0061r posted:

Caspian are touring Europe for like 3 months and totally ignoring Ireland, it's mega poo poo. Least Codes in the Clouds are playing on Friday!

You'll love Codes.

Met them a few weeks back when they played Blackpool, was shooting the gig, and got chatting.

In fact, it was Ciaran from Codes who told me on Facebook that the Caspian album had leaked. The naughty scamp!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24715866@N02/sets/72157620198137372/

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

swarthmeister posted:

Didn't see this posted: new Do Make Say Think tour dates meant something, after all.

http://cstrecords.com/releases/cst062
new DMST album, October 19/20

Oh, man, a new ASMZ and DMST album in the works? I think I'm gonna faint.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't think there would be a point to a new GY!BE album. They've already been bested at their own game by Mono and a few others, so I would imagine, if they did make something new, it wouldn't sound anything like what they've done before and most of you would be pissed.

Quite simply, that was a band that did it, did it right, and moved on. I can think of very few other acts that made three perfect albums and then say "Hey guys, let's pack it in" instead of trying to stretch things out.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

precision posted:

I don't think there would be a point to a new GY!BE album. They've already been bested at their own game by Mono and a few others, so I would imagine, if they did make something new, it wouldn't sound anything like what they've done before and most of you would be pissed.

Quite simply, that was a band that did it, did it right, and moved on. I can think of very few other acts that made three perfect albums and then say "Hey guys, let's pack it in" instead of trying to stretch things out.

They have three unreleased songs, which would be enough to release another short album like Slow Riot. There's some really high-quality versions out there, someone could probably even cut out the clapping near the start and end of each and release it without people knowing it's actually just a live performance. Plus, a live album would be great, and none of the songs really sound the same compared to the albums (much longer, drawn out, slower)

But seriously? Mono? How are they like GYBE at all? Not saying you're wrong or anything, but Mono isn't even close to how I see GYBE. No band has gotten close to GYBE's sound, and as far as I'm concerned, no one ever will.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Once GYBE got rolling in any one of their songs, there was no other band like them. Every time I listen to Lift Your Skinny Fists... I just get swept up by so many parts of those songs. I'd like to see a new GYBE album because even if most of it sucked, I know there'd be at least one moment in it that would sound really incredible and make the whole thing worth it.

Do Make Say Think coming out with something new is the best thing I've heard all year. They're easily my favorite band and everything they've put out has been great.

edit: following that Do Make Say Think link also leads to a sample of their new album. From what's mixed in there it sounds like a cross of & Yet & Yet and You, You're a History in Rust.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Aug 28, 2009

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Codes in the Clouds were really loving good, except they only played for about 45 minutes. Although one of the guys said it was because that was all the songs they knew.

Still was a free gig, and they did rock big time. Worth a night out if they're playing near you.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
Foxhole - We Are the Wintering Tree is a great album, give it a few listens. It may have been recommended here but I am not sure.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Rhg0061r posted:

Codes in the Clouds were really loving good, except they only played for about 45 minutes. Although one of the guys said it was because that was all the songs they knew.

Still was a free gig, and they did rock big time. Worth a night out if they're playing near you.

I'll pass on the comments! They're headlining 93 feet east in London tonight if anyone's nearby and wants to go see a brilliant band.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Mono are so boring and overrated, I don't understand why people like them so much. It's typical sloooow buiiildup type post rock with lots of big ADD DISTORTED GUITARS! climaxes and the songwriting itself is really boring and plain and ugh. I don't like them at all, they never even change up their sound as far as I've heard.

GY!BE on the other hand wrote some really cool stuff obviously.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

wlokos posted:

Mono are so boring and overrated, I don't understand why people like them so much. It's typical sloooow buiiildup type post rock with lots of big ADD DISTORTED GUITARS! climaxes and the songwriting itself is really boring and plain and ugh. I don't like them at all, they never even change up their sound as far as I've heard.

GY!BE on the other hand wrote some really cool stuff obviously.

:irony:

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Jetstar posted:

But seriously? Mono? How are they like GYBE at all? Not saying you're wrong or anything, but Mono isn't even close to how I see GYBE. No band has gotten close to GYBE's sound, and as far as I'm concerned, no one ever will.

Maybe he's thinkking of this release http://temporaryresidence.com/descriptions/trr108.php

It has a bit of the GYBE vibe to it and is quite different from the rest of Mono's stuff.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

citizenlowell posted:

Maybe he's thinkking of this release http://temporaryresidence.com/descriptions/trr108.php

It has a bit of the GYBE vibe to it and is quite different from the rest of Mono's stuff.

Funny you'd mention that, because I got that two days ago and was blown away. The entire thing runs together in this awesome way, and overall it sounds great.

CzarDestructo
Aug 25, 2006

Jetstar posted:

Funny you'd mention that, because I got that two days ago and was blown away. The entire thing runs together in this awesome way, and overall it sounds great.

It's also really friggin boring. But I do like the third track, rest are too much yawn/noise/World's End Girlfriend.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

wlokos posted:

Sounds like you just don't like post rock tbh.

In happier news, Isis and God Is An Astronaut are playing herewithin a week of each other, I expect to be very deaf after they've both played.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl
You guys are probably sick of hearing this, but:

http://www.songkick.com/artists/182957-godspeed-you-black-emperor

I can't really say anything, so here's some quotes from AfterThePostRock:

quote:

Not so sure about this...
Clare & The Reasons' myspace has them "Supporting Vic Chesnutt Band W/ Special guests". Maybe somebody knows something? Or is being ridiculously optimistic? Or is just trying stir up poo poo? I dunno but I'm extremely tempted to buy a ticket just in case.

Jetstar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 8, 2009

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Jetstar posted:

You guys are probably sick of hearing this, but:

http://www.songkick.com/artists/182957-godspeed-you-black-emperor

I can't really say anything, so here's some quotes from AfterThePostRock:

Nah. Members of GYBE/ASMZ helped Vic Chesnutt with his album "North Star Deserter" and they are there entirely to support him. Unless some crazy bullshit goes down GYBE is not playing live, as awesome as that would be. People should still attend on the merits that Vic Chesnutt is incredible and the work that GYBE/ASMZ did on the album was pretty awesome.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

BOOM! DOCTA WATSON posted:

I know Sigur Ros are like the Beatles of post-rock but I'm just now getting into them as an introduction to the genre and it's really, really gorgeous.

After all this time, Popplagiš still literally disintegrates me every time I hear it, literally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8jmLec_wEc

Jetstar posted:

Magyar Posse is a 6-piece band from Finland, and they carry a sound similar to GYBE!. They have two albums out:

Three albums. :eng101: The first one is nice, lighter, maybe more song oriented.

quote:

Kings of Time (2004)
Probably my favorite release by them, mostly because it's the "sadder" album and sounds like GYBE.

Random Avenger (2006)
The start of this album is awesome, and it really draws you in much like classical music would. It spans much more territory instrument-wise, one track being entirely piano/violin and the next being organ/drums.

It's funny how you should say Kings of Time is sadder. Ok, maybe it is sad in the sense of longing, melancholy, autumn and that sort of thing. You know, the good kind of sad.

But Random Avenger to me is totally relentless. It is completely void of any positive human emotion. There is no glimmer of hope, or redemption in sight, it just bears down on you for 50 minutes or until you give in. The human voices mock you and one of the few 'human' moments - the accordion coda at the end of European Lover - just sounds like the laughter of a man falling into psychosis. The album isn't depressed, or sad, or melancholic. It's driving full speed into a brick wall and it's too late to turn. And it is totally awesome.

Phew. :downs: I know that's hyperbole-ish and many will not agree with me, but that's what I get from the album and I've been wanting to write it down for some time now. And to contradict myself in one paragraph, what I also get from the album is turn of the century Prague or some other Eastern European city and trains and rain and running for your life on cobblestone streets. The album paints this so vividly, it's almost scary. :)

Yes, you should listen to this album, even just once. It might hit you with a hammer like it did to me or it might not. Or if you're lazy, you could check out the tracks Black Procession and European Lover. The former is an intro to the latter and together they're like the album condensed.

snaga fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 9, 2009

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

It has very recently come to my attention that... they don't sleep anymore on the beach. :smith:

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

snaga posted:

Random Avenger love

Totally see what you're saying here. My side of all this:

I had my iPod with me on vacation in Florida (I live in Indiana, so Florida is a pretty big deal for me). Anyways, I'm on the beach and stuff, chilling out and watching the sunset and all that sappy stuff, and I've already played Sleep and was about ready to just call it a day when I decided to play Magyar Posse.

Blew my loving mind right up to say it bluntly. Like, that entire album destroys in a way that I can't explain. During the first song I had my doubts, but when "II" hit I was convinced it could not get any more intense. Here comes III and I was sold.

When I got home I promptly hit-up Random Avenger to see how it was (never heard it), and thought it was good, but not Kings of Time good. Whirlpool of Terror and Tension gets my pumped every time I hear it now, though.

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, these things are of course very dependent on that personal context you've built for the album. For me, Random Avenger finally peaked (hurr?) when I was taking a walk at 6 AM and the sun was coming up. I don't even know how that makes sense, but the (mostly) empty streets and sunrise really worked in it's favour.

But Kings of Time is an incredible album too and I haven't given it a swirl in some time now, but now I want to. Just finished Skinny Fists and drat, it hasn't lost any impact either.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
i'm going to mono on october 8th, that's pretty much going to rule I bet

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Capitan Dad posted:

Mono is one of the best live bands ever.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Capitan Dad posted:

Going to see them in two weeks on the 23rd :)

I'm pretty excited, because some friends of mine got to see their 10th anniversary show in New York and have gotten my expectations raised reeeeeeally high.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Capitan Dad posted:

Thanks for the heads-up (how did I miss their tour dates?). I'll be there 10/2 in toronto.

I've seen them once before (with world's end girlfriend a couple years ago), and they were one of the best live acts I've ever seen.

WoG fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 9, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shieldforyoureyes
Aug 31, 2009

Capitan Dad posted:

I saw them open for High on Fire, and they completely stole the show.

Not quite up to Green Milk from the Planet Orange, but very drat good.