Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Lilbeefer posted:

I read one of the US based Mazdaspeed forums for about 10 minutes before I had to stop in :psyduck:

I have not seen that much rage against vendors, Mazda and even their fellow forum users.

Yea, the Cobb and CP-E fight is like William Wallace for Scotland. :black101: Also, because of the whiny/bitchyness of that, Cobb pulled support for our cars. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

Sublime Process posted:

Also, because of the whiny/bitchyness of that, Cobb pulled support for our cars. :downs:
Yeah, but because of wonderful people like you and me they reversed that decision almost immediately and then really got to work releasing the ATR software and all that fine stuff.

I wish I'd saved some of the mindblowing quotes from mazda6club. That traffic race guy is still better than anything I remember, though, good lord.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.

Frosty- posted:

Yeah, but because of wonderful people like you and me they reversed that decision almost immediately and then really got to work releasing the ATR software and all that fine stuff.

Yea, but didn't they halt production on new items - the cold air box, coilovers, etc?

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
I'm pretty sure they halted development and production of almost all their parts for a while, there.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Any word on a cold air box? I'd strongly consider the SRI if I had that I believe.

Ninja edit: http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=141988.30 oh, pays to search. :doh:

Sublime Process fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 7, 2009

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

CharlesM posted:

I know, but I'm always hopeful.
Here's a related question though. Enkei RPF1s are 14.6lbs in 17x7 size (I thought they had a 12lb model but I can't find it). That seems pretty light for 17" size, how do they hold up to daily use though?

Besides looking OE for a Civic circa 1989, they are great wheels. Light, durable, and horrendously ugly, so not as stolen.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

CombatWombat posted:

Has anyone with an MS6 added the parts to flip down their backseats? I remember reading on another Mazdaspeed board that it's possible, you just need to order a parts set that has the latches and whatnot. The main reason Mazda didn't bother with the passthrough on the Speed6 is because there's a big-rear end V-shaped beam (for RIGIDITY :science: ) behind the seats, but you can still fit smaller stuff through the passthrough. I'm kinda interested in giving it a shot, but would like to hear from someone that's done it.

I've popped off the back cover in the trunk, but anything past that I'm a bit leery of doing without someone telling me how to do it.

Nobody? :(

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Baby Hitler posted:

Besides looking OE for a Civic circa 1989, they are great wheels. Light, durable, and horrendously ugly, so not as stolen.

Horrendously ugly, really? :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

CharlesM posted:

Horrendously ugly, really? :(

I dont think many wheels look much better then the standard MPS wheels. They really do suit the car, but if you HAD to go smaller, I think it would have to be T-37s, which are a bit of a cliche I think anyway.

Can anyone answer my question about small wheels? Is 17 inch the smallest wheel you can fit?

Purple Haze PS3
Jul 21, 2007
I just saw a new ms3 at a dealership and it looked fantastic. I don't think that there is any other car in production that can actually make bright teal look good.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
Anyone have nav in theirs? I had it set to where all the icons were displayed on the map, and they've all disappeared? I've tried zooming in and out with no luck. Any ideas?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lilbeefer posted:

I dont think many wheels look much better then the standard MPS wheels. They really do suit the car, but if you HAD to go smaller, I think it would have to be T-37s, which are a bit of a cliche I think anyway.

Can anyone answer my question about small wheels? Is 17 inch the smallest wheel you can fit?

i dont have an MPS

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Holy poo poo, I thought this thread was a goner. Glad to see it's still kicking around.

I'm just gonna gush here, but I got back a couple weeks ago from a 4000+ mile road trip. We also own a Hyundai Santa Fe that would have been more practical, but there is no loving way I'm gonna drive anything that horribly boring on a road trip. We went Everett, WA to Albuquerque, NM to Grand Junction, Co to Santa Fe, NM and back home to Everett. The car was loving awesome. I programmed the GPS to take us the shortest route and we took a lot of two-lane roads where we had to pass huge lines of cars following semis and farm tractors. This thing is an absolute highway monster with all that torque. I had myself, my wife, my 6'-1" son, his little brother and two weeks worth of luggage (probably just about 800 pounds of human and luggage total) with the trunk packed floor to ceiling. We went roaring over mountain passes, tore up twisty foothills and blew past slower traffic in a car totally packed to the limit.
Average speeds depending on the conditions ranged from 65-85 and I got 30-34 MPG with the A/C on in the deserts of Utah, Colorado and New Mexico.
I did all the driving myself, two 14-hour days, two 12-hour days and 2 9-hour days. I rarely got fatigued and my back never gave me any trouble at all. Those seats are fantastic. I got a Scanguage just before leaving town and watched the numbers like a hawk. Coolant temps never got above 195*.
After we finished the first leg to New Mexico, we dropped the kids off (along with half the luggage)with my parents and headed to Colorado. We took Red Mountain Pass and the Million-Dollar Highway. Surprisingly, my wife was cool with letting me just drop the hammer and flat-foot my way through the mountains. I have NEVER had so much fun behind the wheel in my whole life. She was squealing and flailing in the passenger seat like I had just stuck it in her rear end without warning. She was having fun. I verified this several times because the noises she was making sounded more distressful than anything.
Anyway, you gotta make this drive if you are anywhere near the area. The road is fantastic and the scenery is awe-inspiring. Red mountain cliffs to the right, thousand-foot drops and no guard-rail to the left.
The car was a champ. It ran like a bat out of hell and gave me no complaints. I've never had any professional instruction so I didn't have it anywhere near the limit but it was a blast. She had too much to drink the night before, so the trip back to New Mexico was on an alternate less twisty route driven much more sanely.

Oh, 2008 Speed3 all stock except for a carved-up airbox.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamnit. The only road trip I've been able to take in mine so far has been to LA/SD and back; in other words, a lot of Interstate 10. I need to get on a road trip where I can hit the curves for more than a few miles at a time.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Goddamnit. The only road trip I've been able to take in mine so far has been to LA/SD and back; in other words, a lot of Interstate 10. I need to get on a road trip where I can hit the curves for more than a few miles at a time.

At least you live near curves. My city is flat as graph paper and has as many twisties as a ruler. The most exciting thing I can drive is a highway on ramp. :smith:

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Burning Tires with Burning Spirit!
:kamina:

Lilbeefer posted:

That is the smallest from what I have found. I have not found a single 16" that fits over the brakes without posing an issue for wheel weights. Probably the easiest way to tell what might work, is to find someone with a base model 3 that has 16" wheels on it. Ask if you can try to fit one of their wheels on your car. However, I am almost posative it's not possible to do.

Edit:
Here is a cell photo I took of my 17" wheel over the caliper. The gap is small enough, that you might actually rub the wheel on the caliper if you went down to a 16. That doesn't even factor in the wheel weights.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Edit:2.0

IOwnCalculus posted:

I am planning on a small road trip on Glendora Mountain road, and Angeles Crest with a break for lunch if you are interested. I was planning on going tomorrow, but I might wait until next weekend or so. Once we get to Glendora, the journey will probably take about 3.5 to 4 hours. PM me if you are interested.

Animedork2075 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 7, 2009

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I put 16" steel wheels of a mazda 6 on my speed 3. They rubbed on the brake calipers up front so I filed them down slightly (like a mm or two) and it was fine. I've heard of other 16's fitting without any issues though.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Burning Tires with Burning Spirit!
:kamina:
RPF-1 wheels have a natoriously wide inner section. If there is any 16 that would fit I would assume it would either be a steel wheel, or those. Taking a file to a wheel, or caliper to get clearance isn't something I would be willing to do though.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Kynetx posted:

Highways.

The reason I purchased a MS3 is Rocky Mountain two lane highways. I have a few favorite spots. Only driven around CO, UT, and WY so far.

Catapulting around other vehicles in a gradual 180 degree turn in the road (legal!) is the best feeling since hot socks from the dryer.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

FortifiedTumor posted:

The reason I purchased a MS3 is Rocky Mountain two lane highways. I have a few favorite spots. Only driven around CO, UT, and WY so far.

Catapulting around other vehicles in a gradual 180 degree turn in the road (legal!) is the best feeling since hot socks from the dryer.

The car is good for that. In September '08 we took the MS3 up to Steamboat for our anniversary; passing cars on I-40 at 8-10,000 ft. with ease made me giggle (and made the wife squirm.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So the nearby Mazda dealer has a new 09 MS3 sitting on the lot. The internet price is $23k, which I can swing, but I feel like I can do better. What would be a reasonable offer? I haven't driven it yet, but it seems like it will largely meet most of my desires, and all the regular Mazda3s I've driven I've greatly enjoyed.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

So the nearby Mazda dealer has a new 09 MS3 sitting on the lot. The internet price is $23k, which I can swing, but I feel like I can do better. What would be a reasonable offer? I haven't driven it yet, but it seems like it will largely meet most of my desires, and all the regular Mazda3s I've driven I've greatly enjoyed.

Sport or GT? Here's what you do - go to a few car appraisal sites and fetch out the invoice with the options you want. I did this, and when I had three or four sites saying the car is worth 3k less than what they said, they couldn't do anything but sell it as I said. Same thing goes for your trade-in. :coal:

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Anyone on AI had a blown engine yet?

Would a oil catch can help with the positive crankcase issue?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Sublime Process posted:

Sport or GT? Here's what you do - go to a few car appraisal sites and fetch out the invoice with the options you want. I did this, and when I had three or four sites saying the car is worth 3k less than what they said, they couldn't do anything but sell it as I said. Same thing goes for your trade-in. :coal:

Which ones did you use? Because I'm looking at the same situation.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Lilbeefer posted:

Don't idle the car forever. Or use 5W40 oil.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Syd posted:

Don't idle the car forever. Or use 5W40 oil.

What's the worst that can happen? Smoky turbo or something?

Speaking of which, are our turbos water-cooled?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Lilbeefer posted:

Spun bearing on mine at 15k, but the consensus is something was out of spec from the factory and may be more of an outlier.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

Kynetx posted:

What's the worst that can happen? Smoky turbo or something?
Idle for a while and puff a fat cloud for a few yards. I haven't noticed it at all, but I've seen videos of other guys' cars that dump a battlefield smoke screen.

quote:

Speaking of which, are our turbos water-cooled?
Yep.

Tremek posted:

Spun bearing on mine at 15k, but the consensus is something was out of spec from the factory and may be more of an outlier.
Yeah, that's aberrant.

I'm pretty sure nobody with a stock turbo or an AP tune is going to blow their engine unless they're doing something else bad. I'm confident the current rash of self-destructing Mazdas is isolated to the bigger turbos or sketchier tunes.

I've heard a lot of excuses about how the balance shaft is a problem, or how the engine supposedly makes abnormally high torque at low RPM when compared to other engines like the 4G63 and so rods that would normally be sufficient aren't - or whatever - but I'm not convinced.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006

BexGu posted:

Which ones did you use? Because I'm looking at the same situation.

Nada
Kelly Blue Book
Edmunds.com will give the invoice price

Then I used a couple dealer sites that I had access to, because at the time I was working at one. Typically, what you wanna do is high ball your car (if possible) and low-ball theirs. I had a black MZ3 with 40k, and one dent - car was in great shape. Each site said my car was worth around 11,800 but when you get the average - it jumped up to 12,600. Naturally I used that price. So, when I traded it I got 12k for it. :toot:

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
These cars will probably have a reputation once they get to higher miles of killing turbos. People seem to just get in and go, cold turbos being pushed do not last very long, no matter their design, wearing the oil seals extremely fast, and not so nice on the journal bearings.

Funny thing, my 20 year-old Mazda blew its turbo from a PCV issue, but I had a failure of two parts causing the turbine oil seal to blow out. PCV systems only have issues if they can't handle the blow-by and overpressure designed into the engine, or the oil-trapping system doesn't work properly and dumps oil into the PCV valve and through into the manifold. Dumping oil through the breather line to the intake pipe is also a possibility, but none are particularly detrimental if the case pressure doesn't cause problems. Idling shouldn't produce more crankcase pressure than any PCV system could deal with, even a substandard one.

Honestly it sounds like the PCV system is dumping oil through, not overpressurizing. One can cause the other, but not always the other way around.sem

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

So I'm the proud owner of a 2007 M3 GT hatch. Traded in my '07 Accord, and god drat what a difference. I'm in love with this car.

It's at about 39k miles - am I coming up on any recommended service/maintenance? I'm coming from 4 years of the Honda universe ('04 RSX and then the Accord) so I was curious if there's anything I should check up on.

morningdrew fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Sep 9, 2009

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot
Whelp, apparently the new MS3 reviews are leaking out, seems the public opinion can be summed up with one image.

Hatebreed fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 21, 2009

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hatebreed posted:

Whelp, apparently the new MS3 reviews are leaking out, seems they can just be summed up with one image.

What?

That Autoblog Article posted:

Needless to say, we're smitten all over again. What the 2010 Mazdaspeed3 lacks in on-track exhilaration, it makes up for on the open road. And since that's where most of us spend our time, it's tuned to suit. If you're a dedicated track-addict, your circuit-ready ride awaits you on the weekends. For the days in between, the Mazdaspeed3 fends off the cravings.

I still can't get on board with the styling for the '10 MS3 but glad to hear the car itself is still just as good or better.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Hatebreed, that photoshop is cute and everything but you're gonna have to explain what the hell you're talking about.

From what I've read, I'll keep my '08. I like that it's an uncivilized brute. This car (previous version) is not about subtlety except maybe in styling. Speaking of which... that grille... Ugh.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

gently caress me, but they're ugly. I really like the idea of a functional hood scoop for the top mount... But I just can't get past the looks. I'm sure it's just as much of a blast to drive as the outgoing model, but....

Hatebreed
Aug 31, 2006

by angerbot

Kynetx posted:

Hatebreed, that photoshop is cute and everything but you're gonna have to explain what the hell you're talking about.

From what I've read, I'll keep my '08. I like that it's an uncivilized brute. This car (previous version) is not about subtlety except maybe in styling. Speaking of which... that grille... Ugh.

Everyone is spergin' about looks, including you.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
i like my cars to be as pretty as me ;-*

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Hatebreed posted:

Everyone is spergin' about looks, including you.

So having an opinion is sperging? You're the one that took time to make a Photoshop.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

What does everyone make of this: PT Performance "Mazda DIZI [sic] 2.3 turbo PCV fix"

I do not feel inclined to purchase a 30-dollar circle of metal, although my car doesn't smoke, so maybe I'm just not desperate enough.

Also has anyone with a 6 noticed that the car absolutely flips out if you're accelerating and go over a bump? I think it might be if the bump only affects one side of the car but the car seems to think something bad is happening and starts to jerk around and reduce throttle abruptly.

vvv Yeah, it doesn't happen with DSC off. vvv

Frosty- fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 22, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I don't know if you're referring to the tcs/dsc or not but I know my 3 does some crazy things when I'm going hard over a cattle guard. I assume it's just because of the loss of traction in one wheel makes it assume there is a poor surface.