Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Help me, PI! I have a friend who is dead set on getting a corgi. Her reasons are: they're so cuuuuuuuuute and if they're so energetic, they'll force her to get up and exercise too.

She looked into rescue but for some reason balked at the idea that you have to make a profile and get approved first before even seeing any corgis that are up for adoption. She has also found a breeder living near her brother and I'm trying to get a name out of her, but I'm not sure what else to do.

She is a college graduate living in a rental house in a small town with a cat and a parrot. She has a full-time job at a newspaper that often keeps her late but it is literally a block from her house.

Should I keep trying to talk her out of buying a puppy and keep looking into rescue? Are there any big reasons why she shouldn't do this at all? This just screams BAD IDEA to me but I'm worried I may be overreacting :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Egad! posted:

Help me, PI! I have a friend who is dead set on getting a corgi. Her reasons are: they're so cuuuuuuuuute and if they're so energetic, they'll force her to get up and exercise too.

She looked into rescue but for some reason balked at the idea that you have to make a profile and get approved first before even seeing any corgis that are up for adoption. She has also found a breeder living near her brother and I'm trying to get a name out of her, but I'm not sure what else to do.

She is a college graduate living in a rental house in a small town with a cat and a parrot. She has a full-time job at a newspaper that often keeps her late but it is literally a block from her house.

Should I keep trying to talk her out of buying a puppy and keep looking into rescue? Are there any big reasons why she shouldn't do this at all? This just screams BAD IDEA to me but I'm worried I may be overreacting :(

I never have high hopes for these types of situations. Usually people like this will do what they want, and drat the consequences... then the dog winds up in a rescue some months/years later.

Anyway, "cute" should be the last consideration, while "do I have time/energy/resources for a puppy?" should be the first. If she wants cute she should get a plush toy. I'd suggest printing out the new puppy FAQ from this forum and giving it to her. It applies to all puppies, including corgis. ;)

shady anachronism fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 10, 2009

Egad!
Feb 20, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

anachrodragon posted:

I never have high hopes for these types of situations. Usually people like this will do what they want, and drat the consequences... then the dog winds up in a rescue some months/years later.

Anyway, "cute" should be the last consideration, while "do I have time/energy/resources for a puppy?" should be the first. If she wants cute she should get a plush toy. I'd suggest printing out the new puppy FAQ from this forum and giving it to her. It applies to all puppies, including corgis. ;)

Yeah, currently getting that. I also have a website now: http://welshpembrokecorgis.com

I don't know what to look for in regards to IDing it as a good breeder. She claims to have been researching for three years and this isn't an impulse by. But she just found this breeder within the hour.

edit: Okay, been talking to her a little bit more. She's been researching corgis for about 6 years now as well as puppy raising so she does have a plan for crate training, among other things. Backing off for now.

Egad! fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Aug 10, 2009

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Egad! posted:

Yeah, currently getting that. I also have a website now: http://welshpembrokecorgis.com

I don't know what to look for in regards to IDing it as a good breeder. She claims to have been researching for three years and this isn't an impulse by. But she just found this breeder within the hour.

Just from their FAQ and "pedigree" pages, it looks like there's no genetic testing done (or if there is, the results aren't listed), they don't seem to show their own dogs, and their description of the difference between "Welsh" and Cardigan Corgis is faulty. I'd say they are on the edge of BYB, since they do make sure to get their dogs and bitches from champion lines, but there's no showing done once they acquire the animals. The lack of testing is the big red flag to me. I wouldn't purchase from a breeder that doesn't show their OFA/CERF test results up-front.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

and their description of the difference between "Welsh" and Cardigan Corgis is faulty.

Just read this part: "The Cardigan Corgi is somewhat more aggressive than the Pembroke."

Jesus.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
That breeder is a straight up BYB that just happens to buy champions. They're not improving the breed or proving anything they are pumping extra unneeded puppies in this world. There's tons and tons of corgi rescues out there if she's dead set, and imo if she isn't willing to fill out a little paperwork that just proves she has no business at all owning a dog of any kind.

Boo hoo it's a pain going to the vet and getting shots, and OH NO PAPERWORK!

If your friend is lazy to start with and thinks a corgi will fix her, she is very very wrong and she's going to have an insane ball of energy and frustration on her hands.

Can she deal with a dog that will most likely be OCD as all hell? Meaning, some days Ace decides that every tiny thing he can get his mouth on belongs in a pile in the middle or the living room. if anything is moved from said pile, it is carefully placed back.

Or, if he's dead set on killing something, he's been known to bypass entire OPEN bags of treats he loves, climb over a ton of furniture and destroy a single action figure. (gently caress you, Aquaman)

They need hours of mental and physical interaction and stimulation every day. If they don't get it they will very very quickly become destructive, loud, and nippy.

Edit: haha yeah that breeder doesn't even know the correct temperments/ breed standards even. Idiots.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
This mad little fella is the main reason that my husband and I are dead set on having a Corgi as our lifetime companion.

His name is Stubby, and he belonged to a family that I housesat for a few years back. At the time of the photo, he was 13 and had survived having an eye removed because of a tumor. Arthritis and no depth perception didn't stop him from going wild herding the family's goats or following me up and down the stairs and hopping on the bed to sleep with me at night. I don't know if he's still around, but if not, he had a hell of a good innings. I miss that guy. He made staying at that creepy country house infinitely more fun.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Just to put emphasis on the energy, intelligence, and peristance that corgis have...

ButWhatIf posted:

Arthritis and no depth perception didn't stop him from going wild herding the family's goats or following me up and down the stairs and hopping on the bed to sleep with me at night.

If you don't know animals to be herded, be very prepared to need other activities for them to focus on, or they will invent their own which may no be good for you and your house.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Tristesse posted:

If you don't know animals to be herded, be very prepared to need other activities for them to focus on, or they will invent their own which may no be good for you and your house.

That's one of the reasons we're so excited about the breed. We're pretty high-energy people for whom a great weekend includes a 10 mile bike ride or hike up Mt. Rainier, so we are not really considering typical "couch potato" dogs as much. My husband's favorite breed is the border collie (which is simply not feasible to have in this city), and my very best friend as a child was my Shetland Sheepdog, Casey. My husband needs someone to run with, and I need a clever and communicative companion on my long jaunts around Tacoma.

Of course, all this will depend on us being able to move to a place with a fenced yard and a little more financial stability, so the next couple of years are just going to be us playing the waiting game and doing hella research. Is there a trick to being patient, or do we just have to suffer through the Corgi-less years?

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Waiting for suitable surroundings and circumstances is the worst, believe me! If you're really hard up for a corgi fix, maybe get involved in a local rescue? Down here they have an annual corgi picnic to benefit corgiaid where there's usually 100+ dogs in attendance, and sometimes the rescues need simple things like people just interacting with them or giving walks every so often.

Edit: in case anyone in the Florida area is interested btw, here's the website for this year's corgi picnic. I probably won't be going due to work/ possibly moving though.

http://www.floridacorgipicnic.com/

That website is godawful but it's all for a good organization.

Edit2: Also today I bought Ace his first bag of big boy food! He'll be a year old around when I estimate his last bag of puppy food is done with, so I bought out Petco's supply of wellness core to transition to (they very rarely have it in and I'd prefer core to the super 5 mix, though super 5 mix is pretty good too.)

Tristesse fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 13, 2009

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Tristesse posted:

Waiting for suitable surroundings and circumstances is the worst, believe me! If you're really hard up for a corgi fix, maybe get involved in a local rescue? Down here they have an annual corgi picnic to benefit corgiaid where there's usually 100+ dogs in attendance, and sometimes the rescues need simple things like people just interacting with them or giving walks every so often.

Edit: in case anyone in the Florida area is interested btw, here's the website for this year's corgi picnic. I probably won't be going due to work/ possibly moving though.

Edit2: Also today I bought Ace his first bag of big boy food! He'll be a year old around when I estimate his last bag of puppy food is done with, so I bought out Petco's supply of wellness core to transition to (they very rarely have it in and I'd prefer core to the super 5 mix, though super 5 mix is pretty good too.)

Did you go last year?

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Nah, didn't go last year as Ace had just been brought home a few weeks before and was not done with his shots. I didn't want to expose him to a ton of strange dogs on the off chance he got exposed to parvo or something.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Tristesse posted:

Nah, didn't go last year as Ace had just been brought home a few weeks before and was not done with his shots. I didn't want to expose him to a ton of strange dogs on the off chance he got exposed to parvo or something.

It's a good time. There are lots of weirdos with airbrushed corgi shirts, but everyone's nice and there are loads of dogs. 120 last year, I think. I'll probably go again this year.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Yeah, if I'm still in state by that time I'll probably go, plus I'm curious to see what kind of crazy corgi kitsch will be up for auction. It's just looking likely that we'll still be around by then.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Tristesse posted:

Man, Josie has been on big girl dog food for months now. Part of it is that her digestion is a bit sensitive though. She was eating Merrick puppy, and then Innova puppy, and just had the most horrible gag inducing farts, as well as some other digestive issues. She's been on California Natural chicken and rice for a while, and that's better, but she gets pretty gassy at times. I've been tempted to switch to something else, but I don't want to cause more issues.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

ButWhatIf posted:

That's one of the reasons we're so excited about the breed. We're pretty high-energy people for whom a great weekend includes a 10 mile bike ride or hike up Mt. Rainier, so we are not really considering typical "couch potato" dogs as much. My husband's favorite breed is the border collie (which is simply not feasible to have in this city), and my very best friend as a child was my Shetland Sheepdog, Casey. My husband needs someone to run with, and I need a clever and communicative companion on my long jaunts around Tacoma.

Of course, all this will depend on us being able to move to a place with a fenced yard and a little more financial stability, so the next couple of years are just going to be us playing the waiting game and doing hella research. Is there a trick to being patient, or do we just have to suffer through the Corgi-less years?

While you make a good case for yourself, you do say BCs aren't feasable in your city. Why? Because corgis have at least the same level of activity and needs...

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I Love You! posted:

While you make a good case for yourself, you do say BCs aren't feasable in your city. Why? Because corgis have at least the same level of activity and needs...

Pembrokes may be close to that level of activity. I know Tristesse says Ace is a real handful. But Cardigans can be quite a bit mellower than BC activity level.

I had a BC mix for a while when I was a kid, so I know what that level of activity is like. Josie, our 9 month old Cardigan, really is turning out to be a medium energy dog. She goes to work with my husband and will spend the entire day being mellow at the office. She has spurts of activity, and tends to be really busy with her treat toys at home, but then after playing hard she'll crash for a couple hours.

Yesterday, my husband and I were both at home with her. She got a couple of vigorous play sessions out in the yard with us, and then was surprisingly pretty chill for the majority of the day. I have this sneaking suspicion that she may have eaten a cat toy though, when we weren't looking. Sneaky dog. :argh:

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

I Love You! posted:

Less so much the energy, more the size. A lot of rentable places in the area within our financial range have size/weight limits on allowable pets. While size means nothing in terms of energy/trainability, it's just easier on us to not have to argue semantics with potential landlords, yaknow?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

ButWhatIf posted:

Less so much the energy, more the size. A lot of rentable places in the area within our financial range have size/weight limits on allowable pets. While size means nothing in terms of energy/trainability, it's just easier on us to not have to argue semantics with potential landlords, yaknow?

Er... bcs are also about the same size as corgis, i mean corgis have tiny fukken legs but we're talking 2 medium dogs here !!!

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
This is Milhouse. Aka Nugget. Aka Millionaire, aka Lil Douche, AKA my buddy.

He was born the day before my birthday in October of last year. The GF actually picked him out and we started dating while he was still a bit of a pup.

This is him at Christmas.

He was a lazy boy.

And had a dumpy butt.

He loves boat cruises

He thinks hes in magazines.

He loves swimming. Unfortunately hes not a good swimmer. Luckily with his vest, he swims nonstop in Lake Michigan.

Swim Milhouse swim!

We love to pose.

Overall hes a great dog, still a pup and has some growing up to do. He'll always be camera-ready.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.

Tristesse posted:

I miss living in Florida :( I never got a chance to go to one

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Here's a video I found on youtube of "Truman, breakin the law" It's quite cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zeCXlFPjk

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Tristesse posted:

Be careful with the core, Gizmo was on core, and the protein was way WAY to much in him. It's like doubled than the super 5 mix. He got hotspots and everything and that was the only thing that changed.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

Ringo Star Get posted:

Stuff!

What brand is that life jacket? I really like the head support on it.

Also he is adorable :3:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

xboobookittifkxx posted:

Here's a video I found on youtube of "Truman, breakin the law" It's quite cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-zeCXlFPjk

Holy gently caress this is my life seriously. 420 judas priest and corgis every day.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
Cable's getting ready to go to See Spot Splash, sponsored by our local humane society.

Before they drain the pools for the fall, they let dogs come swim for free.

Because Cable has a height disadvantage, he had to stay in the kiddie pool (2ft).

Which is fine for him, because he still gets to swim.

Getting out of the pool is another question, though.

It's just as good run around barking like a maniac, too :)

omnigord
Aug 6, 2009

ButWhatIf posted:

This mad little fella is the main reason that my husband and I are dead set on having a Corgi as our lifetime companion.

His name is Stubby, and he belonged to a family that I housesat for a few years back. At the time of the photo, he was 13 and had survived having an eye removed because of a tumor. Arthritis and no depth perception didn't stop him from going wild herding the family's goats or following me up and down the stairs and hopping on the bed to sleep with me at night. I don't know if he's still around, but if not, he had a hell of a good innings. I miss that guy. He made staying at that creepy country house infinitely more fun.

My girlfriend has a corgi that looks almost exactly like that, only she is a wierd one that has long hair.
Coincidentally, she is getting an eye removed this week because of a tumor, and is about 13 years old.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

lu lu lu posted:

What brand is that life jacket? I really like the head support on it.

Also he is adorable :3:

I'll have to look next time I bring it out sometime this weekend, its durable enough to carry him around like a briefcase with the handle on it.

Oh and STOP. HAMMERTIME.

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Oh and STOP. HAMMERTIME.

I love it! That expression is priceless.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'll have to look next time I bring it out sometime this weekend, its durable enough to carry him around like a briefcase with the handle on it.

Thanks in advance :)

Also, check these chill dogs

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Those aren't real dogs, they're stuffed animals :colbert:

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

noelcat posted:

Those aren't real dogs, they're stuffed animals :colbert:

You got me :( We won the little one from a crane game and the big one is a prize form a midway game.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
High 5 coolaroo dog bed buddies!

KnightLight
Aug 8, 2009

Does every corgi owner have one of those beds? I seem to be seeing a lot of them in assorted corgi pics.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

KnightLight posted:

Does every corgi owner have one of those beds? I seem to be seeing a lot of them in assorted corgi pics.

As far as I can recall, it's only them and Ace that have that bed. But I have a mempry that is not sogood.

Also, this is most definitely not Snaps's (the tri) favorite bed - she has one of those cat domes that she absolutely loves and has unfortunately just grown out of.

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.

KnightLight posted:

My dogs prefer laying on a ratty old blanket instead of that bed I bought for them :argh:

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ace has one because he is a complete jerkass and eats all the nice fluffy comfortable expensive beds I bought him. He doesn't really ever sleep ON it, just UNDER it, or he uses a cold hard office chair as a pillow. It is also the favorite toy hiding spot, since he can't fit under the couch anymore and gets upset when they go under there and he can't reach them.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Cable has been shirking his fluffy dog bed lately in favor of a large pile of laundry. I guess smellier is better.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Tristesse posted:

or he uses a cold hard office chair as a pillow.

My scottie does the exact same thing, but she moves as soon as I try to get photographic evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

noelcat posted:

Cable's getting ready to go to See Spot Splash, sponsored by our local humane society.

They're having something similar here the 17th of October. We just got a waterproof camera too :3:

• Locked thread