Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sklnd posted:

This is kind of a longshot, but has anybody here used in-helmet mic systems for radio communication while riding? What has your experience been?

I think the reverend can shed some light on this one. I remember him making something a while ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Nerobro posted:

it's a safety switch. given your bike is modified, it may be bypassed already. I always bypass mine. It makes it so you need to pull the clutch to engage the starter. I think it's crap. :-) If you can start your bike without pulling the clutch, you have nothing to worry about.

It's not bypassed :[

Was supposed to swap out the clutch lever today before joining the pig relay bbuuttt I was hungover. So, I'll try tomorrow after work.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What are the chances I can adjust my valves without first draining all the oil from my Vulcan 500? I know I have to drain the coolant because I need to disconnect the coolant hoses from the valve cover (otherwise I get a huge mess like the first time I did this), but I don't think there's anything that would keep oil in the valve area.

The one part I'm worried about is the two plugs I need to remove on the left side that give me access to the crank so I can put the pistons at TDC. It's the round plug right behind the shifter and the smaller plug about that in this picture:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

If I pull those plugs, will oil come out or will it sit at the bottom of the oil pan?

Also, can I reuse the old coolant if it's only got a few hundred miles on it? I don't see why I couldn't.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Either your ignition or charging system components are behind that cover. Shouldn't be any oil in there.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Thinking of a weekend road trip to San Fransisco from Southern California. Not sure how long I can last the 2001 gsxr`s riding position. I figured I would stop a night or two in Santa Barbara and or San Luis Obispo.

Any tips? I have never done anything of the sort. About an hour is the most I have gone in one go on a bike. I have no saddebags or anything but was hoping I could get away with a fair sized backpack. I will not need much, anyways. I would probably just have some clothes, spray on chain lube, and the regular cell phone/wallet/cards.

Am I a bit too ambitious? My tires are about 3 months old. Going to do an oil change when I get home. Air filter is good. Anything I am missing?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Bring water and consider securing your backpack to your passenger seat.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Uthor posted:

Bring water and consider securing your backpack to your passenger seat.

Where to put the babes I pick up along the way?

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
Make 'em wear the backpack.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Christoff posted:

Thinking of a weekend road trip to San Fransisco from Southern California. Not sure how long I can last the 2001 gsxr`s riding position. I figured I would stop a night or two in Santa Barbara and or San Luis Obispo.

Any tips? I have never done anything of the sort. About an hour is the most I have gone in one go on a bike. I have no saddebags or anything but was hoping I could get away with a fair sized backpack. I will not need much, anyways. I would probably just have some clothes, spray on chain lube, and the regular cell phone/wallet/cards.

Am I a bit too ambitious? My tires are about 3 months old. Going to do an oil change when I get home. Air filter is good. Anything I am missing?

Take highway 1 all the way down. It's well worth it. If you end up in the SB area, let me know, we can go for a ride or grab some food or something.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Z3n posted:

Take highway 1 all the way down. It's well worth it. If you end up in the SB area, let me know, we can go for a ride or grab some food or something.

There's some very scenic riding around Morro Bay/SLO, but not fun in the twistie sense. Check out Montana de Orro. I proll'y spelled that wrong.

Also, for places to stay, don't deny yourself the cheesy extravagance of the Madonna Inn near Morro Bay. Cave room with rock waterfall? Check. Red Velvet room with heart shaped bed? Oh you know that's a check.

The SoCal (LA - SLO) part of the ride is fairly dull if you stick to the main roads. Follow Z3n's advice to stay on the 1, or go explore some of the dinky towns on the way. If you're leaving from the South, leave early enough to have breakfast in Solvang. Paula's Pancakes is worth the ride.

Logue
Nov 16, 2005
what does it mean if one header is bluing more than the other?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
technically? It means that one cylinder is running hotter, or has later timing thatn the other cylinder. Should you do anything about it? no.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Uthor posted:

What are the chances I can adjust my valves without first draining all the oil from my Vulcan 500? I know I have to drain the coolant because I need to disconnect the coolant hoses from the valve cover (otherwise I get a huge mess like the first time I did this), but I don't think there's anything that would keep oil in the valve area.

The one part I'm worried about is the two plugs I need to remove on the left side that give me access to the crank so I can put the pistons at TDC. It's the round plug right behind the shifter and the smaller plug about that in this picture:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

If I pull those plugs, will oil come out or will it sit at the bottom of the oil pan?

There is oil in there, but it's lower than the plugs so you shouldn't have a problem. No need to drain the oil. You'll have some oil come out when you pull the cam cover off because it pools in there at the lowest point, but it's a minute amount. For best results, put your bike on a jack or center stand of some kind so you can see the timing marks properly and all that.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Nerobro posted:

Should you do anything about it? no.
well you should resync the carbs and check the timing if you're able.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Z3n posted:

Thanks for the responses. I figured I would take Highway 1 the whole way. Going to need to invest in some pants/boots. I have boots but they do not have much ankle support. And I have been cheating by with jeans. Probably get some sort of overpants.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

bobula posted:

There is oil in there, but it's lower than the plugs so you shouldn't have a problem. No need to drain the oil. You'll have some oil come out when you pull the cam cover off because it pools in there at the lowest point, but it's a minute amount. For best results, put your bike on a jack or center stand of some kind so you can see the timing marks properly and all that.

Thanks. I can do it on the side stand just fine (I wish I had a center stand). It's just that I did the valves less than 500 miles ago, but something is still wrong and I want to check them again. I'd hate to change the oil after 500 miles.

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Just got my first bike and am in the market for a tire stand(s?) to do some maintenance work. Do I need both front and rear stands or just rear?

Can I get away with using this cheap $40 one from ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawa...sQ5fAccessories

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Entreri posted:

Just got my first bike and am in the market for a tire stand(s?) to do some maintenance work. Do I need both front and rear stands or just rear?

Can I get away with using this cheap $40 one from ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawa...sQ5fAccessories

As someone who's been "getting away" with a cheap stand for ages, just buy the decent ones and be done with it. Saving 40-60$ only to drop your bike when the stand flexes just isn't worth it. Try and find a used one on craigslist.

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Z3n posted:

As someone who's been "getting away" with a cheap stand for ages, just buy the decent ones and be done with it. Saving 40-60$ only to drop your bike when the stand flexes just isn't worth it. Try and find a used one on craigslist.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-Re...sQ5fAccessories

How's this one look for $75 shipped?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Entreri posted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-Re...sQ5fAccessories

How's this one look for $75 shipped?

I've got the T-rex front stand in my garage. It pisses me off because the wheels don't roll nicely. It's well built but can be a pain in the rear end because of the wheels. Probably not as big a deal on the rear stand, because the bike can just roll backwards without too many issues. I've got an Lockhart Phillips stand that I bought for like, 40$ off of a guy I knew that was getting out of riding, and it's nice enough, thick enough that it won't flex, but the problem with it is that the L arms that go under the swingarm are a bit of a bitch to get to seat properly and sometimes it wants to slide down...sigh.

http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_28894_lockhart_phillips_adjustable_swingarm_reviews

That one. Really, it's worth it to try and find a used one for cheap. It's a stand, you can't really break one through use.

If you really can't find one used in your area, I'd go with the T-rex one, I guess.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 11, 2009

Darth Llama
Aug 13, 2004

What are general guidelines regarding parking off street in places like grocery stores, department stores, etc?

I usually just take a car space, but I hear a lot of people talk about parking up close. I rarely see other bikes parked around here. . .

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
If you're out of the way, where people aren't walking/parking/entering/exiting/driving, nobody will probably care.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
I'm suspicious of my front brake pads. Is this unusual wear/deterioration? The chipped look I mean.

Also, the pads seemed to drag on the rotor when the wheel was mounted. I've replaced the forks and I'm going to be bleeding the brakes and installing a SS line. Will any of this alleviate the problems?

Also also, 19mm is the highest size socket for a 3/8s drive ratchet right?

Motorcycling is bleeding me softly.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Your pads look just fine. Slight dragging is normal for pushing a bike around.

CleanerVenom
Feb 14, 2009

RichBomb posted:

Also also, 19mm is the highest size socket for a 3/8s drive ratchet right?

I have up through 21. You can get an adapter (3/8 to 1/2 in) so you can use bigger sockets.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
So now that we have spark coming out of both our plugs, we figured we'd just connect the carbs in and hook the fuel lines up. It's still not doing the exploding thing though.

I figured the first thing I'd check is that gas is actually making it into the carbs, so I disconnected the fuel lines and turned the tank valve open, the most that would come out is the occasional dribble. My question is, is this normal? Or should it be coming out at a steady rate?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Corrupt Cypher posted:

So now that we have spark coming out of both our plugs, we figured we'd just connect the carbs in and hook the fuel lines up. It's still not doing the exploding thing though.

I figured the first thing I'd check is that gas is actually making it into the carbs, so I disconnected the fuel lines and turned the tank valve open, the most that would come out is the occasional dribble. My question is, is this normal? Or should it be coming out at a steady rate?

Does it have a vacuum petcock or not?

Try gravity feeding new gas directly into the carbs and seeing if it runs.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
I'm gonna say it's not vacuum operated, as it's just a valve (with on/off/reserve) with two outlets for the fuel. I'll try and rig up some kind of can/hose solution now, should be fun. But the carbs have a second line coming out of them, is that fuel overflow or for the vacuum system?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
My headlight went out (both filaments, first the lowbeam and then the highbeam 10 minutes later) on the freeway a couple nights ago and it was a pants making GBS threads experience making it home.

In terms of a replacement, should I just grab whatever OEM bulb is available at the dealership or should I keep an eye out for a specific brand I can just grab at an autozone? (can you do that?)

I'm not sure what brand I had before but it was definitely not stock (bright white light on low, the power of the sun on high) , if I wanted the same would there be markings on the bulb when I pull it out that would indicate the type of bulb I'm using?

I ride a 92 GS500 so its just the huge bucket headlight. :)

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

So, I had my first bike newbie mistake today:

I accidentally filled up my bike up using a gas can that was filled with Craftsman 2-Cycle Engine Oil Fuel Stabalizer/gasoline that I had been using for my leaf blower. I realized I had used the wrong gas can only after I came back from my ride, so I'm really kicking myself for not labeling my gas cans.

Anyway, my question:

Will this hurt my bike at all? Should I be concerned at all?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Entreri posted:

I accidentally filled up my bike up using a gas can that was filled with Craftsman 2-Cycle Engine Oil Fuel Stabalizer/gasoline that I had been using for my leaf blower. I realized I had used the wrong gas can only after I came back from my ride, so I'm really kicking myself for not labeling my gas cans.

Anyway, my question:

Might carbon up your plugs a bit. Other than having to clean/replace your plugs though, it wont hurt anything.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Phat_Albert posted:

Might carbon up your plugs a bit. Other than having to clean/replace your plugs though, it wont hurt anything.

Yes it will. It will make his main jets provide less fuel due to oil film. Probably they'll work at least a size less than on clean fuel. Same thing might be true for for the needle jets. At least he'll run lean at high throttle. Just drain the poo poo.

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Blaster of Justice posted:

Yes it will. It will make his main jets provide less fuel due to oil film. Probably they'll work at least a size less than on clean fuel. Same thing might be true for for the needle jets. At least he'll run lean at high throttle. Just drain the poo poo.

drat. Alright, I guess I'll get on draining my tank. I bought the bike used and the guy didn't give me an owner's manual, so I'm not too sure on how to go about this process. Does anyone know how to drain the fuel tank of an 08 Ninja 250r?

Also, is there anything I can do to clean out the oil film?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Entreri posted:

Also, is there anything I can do to clean out the oil film?

Run some seafoam through in the next fill-up?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Clean gas washes oil pretty well. That's why it's bad to drive around with a dead cylinder.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Entreri posted:

Anyway, my question:

It's not going to hurt or damage anything. If you get a nasty lean surge at small throttle openings, it may be worth fixing, but if you didn't notice anything on your ride, it's not going to hurt a drat thing. Bikes are pig rich at WOT anyways to make up for the lean spot to pass EPA emissions.

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Z3n posted:

It's not going to hurt or damage anything. If you get a nasty lean surge at small throttle openings, it may be worth fixing, but if you didn't notice anything on your ride, it's not going to hurt a drat thing. Bikes are pig rich at WOT anyways to make up for the lean spot to pass EPA emissions.

Probably a stupid question, but what is a 'lean surge' and 'WOT'? :confused:

I can't seem to find any reference material online as to how to drain the tank on the 250r. General reviews of the Seafoam stuff seem to be positive, so I'm going to pick up some and hopefully it will clean out the internals.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Entreri posted:

Probably a stupid question, but what is a 'lean surge' and 'WOT'? :confused:

I can't seem to find any reference material online as to how to drain the tank on the 250r. General reviews of the Seafoam stuff seem to be positive, so I'm going to pick up some and hopefully it will clean out the internals.

Lean surge is what occurs when your bike isn't getting enough fuel. If it's running really lean than the bike will surge slightly quicker and slower as you hold the throttle at one spot. If you didn't notice it, not a big deal. WOT is "Wide Open Throttle".

You don't need to add anything to it. Just top it off with normal gas, and you'll be fine. Draining the gas tank will be annoying and it's not going to do anything to your bike to have some oil running around in the tank and fuel system for a bit. If you're really, really paranoid, just pop open the tank, syphon as much fuel as you can get out, and then fill it back up with normal fuel. You don't need to clean out the oil, as Ola mentions, gas is fantastic at getting oil off things, and you're gonna be running a fair bit of gas through the carbs...

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
I'm moving from WA to AZ. This means 2000 miles of driving a rented truck. I have an r6 that's coming with me as well. As cost is an issue, I'm wondering how terrible of an idea it is to throw the bike in with the boxes, and how to go about tying it down. Basically wondering how it's done when people race with it, since the inside of the truck has those tie-down slats all over it. I could rent a trailer, but I suspect it is a waste of money if throwing it in the truck isn't going to hurt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Blaster of Justice posted:

Its not due to oil film, its due to the fact that with straight gas, for every X amount of liquid from the tank pulled through the carb, 100% of it is gas, with premix, some % of it is oil, and less than 100% is gas, so it becomes lean.

Unless he's already really lean though, it wont make much of a difference.