Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Yes everyone go back to Aimbot discussion, this talk of people getting mad in video games is ruining my griefing thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Yeah as someone who had never heard of Gunz before this I've found most of the stuff really interesting and amusing just because people were griefing other people by playing normally.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Iron Prince posted:

Reminds me of the constant "jajajajajaja" messages I'd see in Gunbound and Albatross 18.

FYI this is standard in Spanish. Spanish J is the closest to the english H sound, and spanish H is always completely silent. So that's how they spell it amongst themselves; maybe other languages too.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 13, 2009

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

McNerd posted:

FYI this is standard in Spanish. Spanish J is the closest to the english H sound, and spanish H is always completely silent. So that's how they spell it amongst themselves; maybe other languages too.

Hell, I always do it accidentally because of h's proximity to j on the keyboard v:shobon:v

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

McNerd posted:

Goons in games hate other cultures and people from other countries. This is called racism.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Aerobic Robot posted:

Well sorry that we're talking about a game people get mad in in a thread about making people get mad at games.

Sheesh.

It's played out. We get it, retarded Korean people get angry about people not playing the way they think they should.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

The Third Man posted:

It's played out. We get it, retarded Korean people get angry about people not playing the way they think they should.

Strangely, I never met a Korean player that minded it at all. It was all the US kids who were trying to emulate them and sucking at it that blew their tops.

What's the Korean equivalent of a weeaboo?

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

apekillape posted:

Strangely, I never met a Korean player that minded it at all. It was all the US kids who were trying to emulate them and sucking at it that blew their tops.

What's the Korean equivalent of a weeaboo?

Kimshi kid.

AuMaestro
May 27, 2007

Battlefield 2142 air transports were a little too perfect for griefing. Some basic info, for those who haven't played the game:
  • Unlike most vehicles in the game, it wasn't immune to small arms fire.
  • Because of extra mechanics the developers put in to encourage teamwork, they tended to fill up.
  • From certain seats in the transport, it was possible to hit it with a weapon or repair it.
  • Below about 20% health, the transport would gradually lose health automatically and blow up.
So, if you were an in a transport, you could shoot at the wall and get your own vehicle damaged. The thing that makes this useful for griefing is that anyone with any experience playing quickly learns that when a transport starts taking damage, it usually only has a couple of seconds before it gets destroyed completely. All of the other passengers will (reasonably) assume that enemy AA is getting trained on them, so they'll bail out, which usually sticks them in the middle of nowhere.

The basic idea, then, is to damage the transport to 19% health, so that it starts burning up, and every single passenger will bail out. Then, you can just repair the transport back up before it crashes and then switch seats to the cockpit. As long as the transport isn't burning up its health is usually irrelevant, since nobody will actually take potshots at it.

Of course, it isn't good gameplay to have a badly-damaged transport all to yourself, but neither is constantly honking your horn, but that's never kept me from holding my left mouse button down whenever I'm in a jeep.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You have to move your head up and down and hit the horn when your head hits the steering wheel. At least, that is how it is done in 1942.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Cojawfee posted:

You have to move your head up and down and hit the horn when your head hits the steering wheel. At least, that is how it is done in 1942.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2PqPNRF1Ic

Bajee
Nov 7, 2005
Red Orchestra is really the best game. You can block people from going into buildings, goad people into tking you until they get banned. I like to take tanks, wait for them to fill up and do donuts until everyone leaves. If mics are on, its pretty funny to talk about how COD4 or CS is a better game and listen to everyone flip poo poo.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
After talking about my adventures with Halo PC earlier in the thread, I reinstalled it yesterday for shits and giggles just because it's so easy to piss people off, get people to TK you and get banned, and generally turn entire servers into chaos of rage and team-killing before they become emptied.

Really, all you have to do is find a populated server with friendly fire on, join it, make sure there's no obvious admins on, jot down the IP address, quit, go to Multiplayer>Direct IP, put the IP in, join the server, wreck havoc, and after you kill a couple teammates, reset your TKs by leaving, going to multiplayer>Direct IP> Join game, and coming back in a flash.

Stir all that up in a pot, and...voila! Endless hours of entertainment.

The only thing I wish Halo had was voice chat...then it would be a loving GOLDMINE. Oh god, the possibilities...

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Pretty much all of the videos on this account are better than average, but if you've just got 5 seconds fast forward to 5:40. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJEy0sZfHz0&feature=channel_page

It's just a shame it's so dark and you can't quite see what he's doing.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

fennesz posted:

Pretty much all of the videos on this account are better than average, but if you've just got 5 seconds fast forward to 5:40. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJEy0sZfHz0&feature=channel_page

It's just a shame it's so dark and you can't quite see what he's doing.
What the gently caress is 'cal-i'?

LowFatCannibal
Nov 23, 2007

by The Finn
I'm not sure if it's been posted, but NeoToky0 is the best griefing game. Everyone takes it insanely seriously, bans sometimes dont work for no apparent reason, and teamkills are common legitimate mistakes. You can also gib the entire team at spawn with one grenade then sit in a corner for the whole 15 minute round and make everyone wait to play.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

fondue posted:

What the gently caress is 'cal-i'?

as far as i know:
cyberathleteleaguewhatever-invitational

the leagues tend to have tiers like -o (open), -i (invitational) etc. the endings also seem to be used as insults/compliments (ie -o being crap and -i or -p being good or something)

Fizzle
Dec 14, 2006
ZOMG, Where'd my old account go?!?
as far as I know it's o-open, i-intermediate, p-professional.

Of course, I really didn't care about it, I was CPL for UT2003 and Quake3. We laughed at the CAL CS kiddies who thought it was going to amount to something.

edit: CPL was pretty easy to grief. I remember people getting VERY butthurt about things that, looking back on, were REALLY funny.

Fizzle fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Aug 14, 2009

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
You mean like shields? Tactical shields were absolutely hilarious in CS 1.6 because despite being so easily taken out with a grenade or well-placed shot, so many people would freak the everloving gently caress out if you even thought about buying one. From what I remember, they were outlawed in exactly the same manner the infamous "autosnipe" (a semi-automatic sniper rifle) was from the Serious Gamer Leagues.

Best of all was using them in CAL games. Our "ultimate" tactic was to have the entire team keep a budget for a couple of rounds to save money, then have everyone buy tactical shields and pile up in a corner to become an impenetrable fortress. Naturally, the "ultimate" nature of the tactic was purely ironic as it was hilariously easy to defeat, but every now and then we'd come up against a team that forgot to buy their grenades, and the fortress would hold fast and lead us to victory.

Another item that wasn't so much outlawed as it was outright laughed at was night vision. Night vision in Counter-Strike is pretty useless. Some teams would get surprisingly agitated at someone buying nightvision at the start of each round - you couldn't tell who had it, but it made an audible whine as it activated. If you were feeling juvenile you could bind the night vision key to your mouse wheel and scroll the mouse wheel to rapidly toggle it on and off, playing the noise over and over.

This, of course, led to the discovery that you could also do the same with your flashlight in-game, which became the basis for "raves", which were really low-brow griefing methods. We'd pretty much just confirm a venue - for example, the roof in cs_assault or the underpass in de_dust2 - gather, toggle "+left" in the console which made your character rotate left as though you were holding down the turn-left key, twirl the mouse wheel which was bound to toggle the flashlight, and blast music over voice chat. Once again, immature as hell, but great fun when you managed to get a small gathering of players from both teams just jamming out to Scat Man on the roof of a warehouse.

Things got a whole lot more sinister when one of our players bought a server and gave us admin rights on it. While it was mostly spontaneously turning players into fireworks and playing loud noises to scare people, we did install an add-on at one point that made even us uneasy as griefers. This particular admin extension allowed us to, among other "useful" admin grief tools, open and close peoples' CD trays. It was exactly as rage-inducing as you'd expect, but after a few days of messing with this it occurred to us that being able to physically interact with people was probably taking things a bit too far, and that's coming from a group of 15-17 year old mostly non-serious CS players. We promptly disabled that particular plugin. :(

One of the guys that used to play with us made a short video covering our forts and underground teamkilling raves we'd wasted so much time on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM8vdiINAas

In retrospect a lot of it was really low-brow and juvenile, especially when compared with more subtle griefing in games like Space Station 13, but it definitely got the tears flowing.

tehspiekguy
Aug 13, 2002
Press X to flip tehspiekguy
I stumbled upon a great way to grief in TF2 the other day: Build teleporter exits facing the edge of a cliff. I had been ubering snipers, going rambo with my needlegun, and an all-around rear end with teles before that, but causing half our team to suicide after teleporting was what caused them to finally kick me from the server.

Anyone have a list of the most common maps in TF2 that have auto-death cliffs like that? Nucleus is a great one, but there has to be more that I'm not thinking of.

I_Socom
Jul 18, 2007

A great ride that requires finesse and effort to get the best out of it.

Enallyniv posted:

Things got a whole lot more sinister when one of our players bought a server and gave us admin rights on it. While it was mostly spontaneously turning players into fireworks and playing loud noises to scare people, we did install an add-on at one point that made even us uneasy as griefers. This particular admin extension allowed us to, among other "useful" admin grief tools, open and close peoples' CD trays. It was exactly as rage-inducing as you'd expect, but after a few days of messing with this it occurred to us that being able to physically interact with people was probably taking things a bit too far, and that's coming from a group of 15-17 year old mostly non-serious CS players. We promptly disabled that particular plugin. :(

This is absolutely amazing. I'd have loved to have heard the team chat from this.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

I_Socom posted:

This is absolutely amazing. I'd have loved to have heard the team chat from this.

Ah the days of yore where security was a tale from the world of mainframes. :)

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

tehspiekguy posted:

I stumbled upon a great way to grief in TF2 the other day: Build teleporter exits facing the edge of a cliff. I had been ubering snipers, going rambo with my needlegun, and an all-around rear end with teles before that, but causing half our team to suicide after teleporting was what caused them to finally kick me from the server.

Anyone have a list of the most common maps in TF2 that have auto-death cliffs like that? Nucleus is a great one, but there has to be more that I'm not thinking of.

I don't know if there are any left, but there were once several inescapable areas that you could build a tele exit in from outside of them, as seen in Team ROOMBA's first TF2 griefing video.

On the other hand, you could just build teles on the sniper deck and put the other end at the farthest possible point (usually in the flag room.)

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
If you're defending on pl_frontier in tf2, simply put your exit at the very end of the payload rail track, then stand slightly behind the teleporter so when people tele in they get pushed by the team clipping in to the death canyon.

e: i meant exit

puchu fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 14, 2009

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

m2pt5 posted:

On the other hand, you could just build teles on the sniper deck and put the other end at the farthest possible point (usually in the flag room.)

I still do this. Sometimes I just put and exit in the middle of the sniper deck facing backwards.

sc4rs
Sep 15, 2007

This is what I think of your opinion.
I don't know if it counts as griefing, but I just told someone in an online gaming server that since he had 1337 in his name, he got critted more. He believed me and quit midgame to go change his name. :psyduck:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Arooga posted:

It's so loving obvious when somebody is aimbotting it's insane.
I think the only time I was certain that someone was botting was my first game of CoD4 when I could only play on non-PunkBuster servers. Someone jumped, did a 180º and shot me in the head through an obstacle with the .50 sniper rifle. Even on the PC that is next to impossible. Luckily the admin was on and banned him as soon as I described what happened.

HOWEVER, I did pretty much the same thing in BF1942 once. The difference was there weren't any obstructions to see through and I was 10 feet away not 50.

This was the first time I ever saw BF1942.

tehspiekguy posted:

Steel is probably a good one.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 14, 2009

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shumagorath posted:

This was the first time I ever saw BF1942.

The greatest thing about BF1942 was the sheer number of outrageous and hilarious things that could take place in that game, whether it be a bug or not.

In the vein, I present to you, BF1942's FLYING BATTLESHIP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrTizUcmRa8&feature=fvw

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Enallyniv posted:

This is hilariously awesome. It's also why operating systems are so strict about kernel-level access these days. :(

sc4rs posted:

I don't know if it counts as griefing, but I just told someone in an online gaming server that since he had 1337 in his name, he got critted more. He believed me and quit midgame to go change his name. :psyduck:
:bravo: Good show, seriously. :)

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
During a match of Left 4 Dead, we were in the No Mercy finale area, but we hadn't hit the pickup button yet. So we were pissfarting around, and I put AWK's She Is Beautiful on (at what I'd like to think was non-earbleedingly loud levels), and started headbanging and jumping around. After about 10 seconds, two of the other guys had joined me. Louis, Zoe, and Bill are all jumping around headbanging, and the guy playing Francis was screaming into his microphone at us to stop and help him set up for the finale. He was carrying on after the song had actually finished and right up until I hit the button to cue the rescue. He got nailed by a Hunter right before boarding the heli, and didn't make it out.

It's a tad basic, not very original, and not nearly as funny as some of the other stories, but I felt like contributing.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
When Left 4 Dead first came out, my friend and I joined up as survivors during VS mode and told the rest of the team that continuously hitting the jump button would throw off the the Infected's tracking. We managed to get them to bunnyhop constantly through the whole campaign, and when they had doubts whether it was actually working, we accused them of not hitting space bar fast enough.

We lost. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

The greatest thing about BF1942 was the sheer number of outrageous and hilarious things that could take place in that game, whether it be a bug or not.

In the vein, I present to you, BF1942's FLYING BATTLESHIP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrTizUcmRa8&feature=fvw

Funniest thing I've seen all week.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Chomp8645 posted:

I had to hunt down the first song in the video after I listened to the whole thing. I only knew it was from Jackass, but it's actually "Corona" by the Minutemen; an 80s punk rock band...gently caress yeah! Now I have another discography to listen to. :)

Rixen
Feb 18, 2005

Have you had your Reich today?

tehspiekguy posted:

This is an amazing idea and I'm going to try this as soon as I can.

I might need to team up with an enemy Pyro for the airblast-guarantee.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Bajee posted:

Red Orchestra is really the best game. You can block people from going into buildings, goad people into tking you until they get banned. I like to take tanks, wait for them to fill up and do donuts until everyone leaves. If mics are on, its pretty funny to talk about how COD4 or CS is a better game and listen to everyone flip poo poo.

I like to dive infront of moving trucks and tanks, you'll get the person to TK you or you have a 1/10 chance of getting rocketed up in the air for no reason at all. :v:

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Four years ago or so I was pretty involved in the community of one of the most popular CS:S servers. They opened up a second server right around when de_nuke came out and made it 24/7 nuke. I got offered an admin position on it and started out just playing and keeping the peace, kicking hackers and the like. Then I got bored and looked up everything admins could do with the admin mod they were using. This revealed to me the hilarious world of admin abuse. There was a command to turn someone into a bomb that would TK everyone around them after 10 seconds that I frequently made us of. I started votes constantly on such gripping topics as Cheese: 1. Cheddar 2. Parmesan. Anyone who called me out on being a lovely admin I teleported 50 feet in the air for a nice falling damage death. A week or so of just plain abusing my new powers and I was bored again.

On this map there's a bridge way off in the distance behind the Terrorist spawn that exists purely for scenery. Except that you can stand on it. So at the start of a round I'd teleport the entire Counter-Terrorist team there. Or everyone to above the skybox. Or to a fenced in area. At this point I was killing the server population on a long term level and the guys in charge got wind of it. They took away my admin powers and that was that.

The only other grief I ever did in that game was more obnoxious than anything. A buddy and I would join servers named Mario and Luigi, sit in a remote corner and spam back and forth "Sector Clear" "Roger That" until we got kicked :downs:

Ephrum
Feb 16, 2007

lol rednecks
A few minutes ago I chased people around in secondlife while chewing a sandwich loudly. It was more effective than I could have ever imagined.

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
I recently shared a griefing experience with three random strangers on L4D. It's not very clever, nor is it terribly nuanced, but it's a good story of people coming together to piss random people off.

I was playing campaign on Expert, No Mercy, and my team and I were going through it normally. Not really great, but we were making solid progress, and played well and seriously throughout. When we got to NM5, Francis decided to start hanging off random ledges on the rooftop. I'd join him and clip through him. Eventually our entire team devolved into endless tking, or as Louis put it, "Left 4 Deathmatch". We had killed eachother like, fifteen times when Zoey got bored and left, but wa quickly replaced by a new player. Before the new player could see us blowing the hell out of eachother, we made our way to the elevator without any tking. By the time we got into the shaft the new player took control over Zoey. As soon as Zoey became plkayer-controlled, Francis tk'd the whole team. I type in chat "wtf tker kick this guy" and start a votekick against him. Zoey joins in with me, but my thrid partner-in-crime Louis obviously voted no. After the kick failed, I tk'd Francis and Zoey, claiming "revenge on tker" and "you didnt votekick him". After Zoey got a revenge tk on me (and subsequent tk from Francis) I initiated a votekick against her, with unanimous support. It wasn't enough to dick around with just one Zoey, we repeated this same joke on two more Zoeys before we got bored and left.

Like I said, not very clever, but it's just so amusing how spontaneously how we decided to screw around without any planning whatsoever.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Ephrum posted:

A few minutes ago I chased people around in secondlife while chewing a sandwich loudly. It was more effective than I could have ever imagined.

Simple and effective, I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Enallyniv posted:

among other "useful" admin grief tools, open and close peoples' CD trays. It was exactly as rage-inducing as you'd expect, but after a few days of messing with this it occurred to us that being able to physically interact with people was probably taking things a bit too far

This happened to me more than once several years ago and I can confirm that it freaked me the gently caress out.

Me: yeah headshot!
Some guy: Hey close your CD tray man.
Me: What the hell are you talki.... HOLY gently caress!!!!!

• Locked thread