Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pvt. Public posted:

So I looked at the Shadow, and then went and looked at the GZ250. I like both equally well, but the Shadow definitely has more go. But, the guy with the GZ said he'd take $1750, plus the GZ is immaculate. And green, and I like green. Plus it has bags, a windshield, engine protection bars, a new battery, and fresh oil and filter. None of which the Shadow has. Is there any reason not to get the GZ and save myself $1200?

Didn't you already ask this question? Yes you did. My answer hasn't changed but if you want an excuse to buy the 250, just go buy it, but the Shadow is still a better choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

wormil posted:

Didn't you already ask this question? Yes you did. My answer hasn't changed but if you want an excuse to buy the 250, just go buy it, but the Shadow is still a better choice.

No, what I originally asked about was an 82 Maxim 400, not the GZ250. The Shadow was not in very good condition when I looked at it. And not just dirty, but the guy couldn't tell me anything about maintenance done or previous owners or anything. And it looked abused. Not like it had been dropped, but just neglected. The tires were about out as well. And he wouldn't haggle on the price. The guy with the GZ was really nice, told me all about the PO and that he'd babied the bike (and it showed). I just feel much more comfortable with the GZ as a purchase. I'd buy a Ninja, but I don't feel comfortable on them, unfortunately.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^^ I'd take a well maintained bike for cheaper over a poorly maintained one any day.

Stoic Commie posted:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/mcy/1316476118.html

The price is right, KBB is $1200, maybe room to talk him down more? Is it even worth it for a 250 this old?

EDIT: got a response to my questions to him. Clean title, 2nd (maybe 3rd, he isn't sure) owner, dropped once while not moving and has some scratches and the cover is broken off of the front left blinker, but light unit is intact. Tires about 70%.

Also asked him if he stunted due to the sticker, but no stunting according to him.

I'd show up with 1k in cash. For a working, running bike, it doesn't usually go any lower than that.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Z3n posted:

^^^^ I'd take a well maintained bike for cheaper over a poorly maintained one any day.

Which is precisely why I'm buying the GZ over the Shadow. Plus I think I'd get into more trouble on the Shadow. And since my only concern right now is commuting, the 250 will be the better choice anyways. It is not like I can't turn this thing around in a year or two, especially considering its condition.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Z3n posted:

I'd show up with 1k in cash. For a working, running bike, it doesn't usually go any lower than that.

You'd offer him $200 over his asking price? You're a salesman's dream haggler. ;)

Stoic, those bikes typically go for around $1500 to $2500. At $800 it can have some pretty nasty poo poo wrong with it and still be a good deal. The Ninja 250 wiki is your friend in determining what to look for and what should be red flags.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frozenphil posted:

You'd offer him $200 over his asking price? You're a salesman's dream haggler. ;)

Stoic, those bikes typically go for around $1500 to $2500. At $800 it can have some pretty nasty poo poo wrong with it and still be a good deal. The Ninja 250 wiki is your friend in determining what to look for and what should be red flags.

Whoops, I thought he said it was listed for KBB. It's a 1988 ninja 250, 800$ is a good price as long as it's in decent running condition.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Gnomad posted:

It might be a bit on the small side for you.

The few folks who seem to own them locally love them to pieces. They do have some off-pavement ability

the guy sucking hind tit is a Versys rider. He wheeled it pretty well out there on the Klondike Loop by Dawson City.

The KR3 Proton MotoGP bike is pretty good offroad too, you should consider those as well - check this out:

Click here for the full 800x555 image.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Is it a good idea to buy a second bike for a track bike if I've never been to the track before? There's a 2006 gs500 available in the area and the owner seems pretty desperate. I've already viewed the bike, its in great condition but I just recently bought a bike already. Talk some sense into me before I spend more money than I already don't have.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

lostleaf posted:

Is it a good idea to buy a second bike for a track bike if I've never been to the track before? There's a 2006 gs500 available in the area and the owner seems pretty desperate. I've already viewed the bike, its in great condition but I just recently bought a bike already. Talk some sense into me before I spend more money than I already don't have.

It's a bad idea.

If you're going to have a dedicated trackbike, you can find them for cheap with a lot of nice mods. Getting a streetbike and converting it to track will be expensive and time consuming. Street legal trackbikes aren't super uncommon, so I'd just wait and find one with all the upgrades and go from there.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Stoic Commie posted:

Also asked him if he stunted due to the sticker, but no stunting according to him.

On an EX250? Stuntin' is... unlikely. Unless "accelerating rather briskly" counts.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Re:1988 Ninja250, is that gas tank dented in on the top or am I seeing things?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

blugu64 posted:

Re:1988 Ninja250, is that gas tank dented in on the top or am I seeing things?

I don't think so, it looks like that is just the way the fairing is made coming up along either side of the tank that makes the top of the tank look dented.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
That tank does look especially dished behind the fuel cap. Our old-world EX250s are all convex at that point. That is all tank, there's no fairing that wraps around it or anything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

That tank does look especially dished behind the fuel cap. Our old-world EX250s are all convex at that point. That is all tank, there's no fairing that wraps around it or anything.

Agreed. Maybe for sitting on the tank?

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

Z3n posted:

Agreed. Maybe for sitting on the tank?

Given the "STUNT 101" label on the windshield, I think we can all figure out why the tank is probably dented.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Geez, I thought that ad said "weed only"

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

laymil posted:

Given the "STUNT 101" label on the windshield, I think we can all figure out why the tank is probably dented.

I guess he could have done burnouts with the poor thing. I saw "Stuntin'" and thought of wheelies and stoppies and other unlikely Ninja 250 activities.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...

sirbeefalot posted:

I guess he could have done burnouts with the poor thing. I saw "Stuntin'" and thought of wheelies and stoppies and other unlikely Ninja 250 activities.

Hah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St-gLJak0S8 People use what they've got I guess.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

laymil posted:

Hah. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St-gLJak0S8 People use what they've got I guess.

quote:

start wit the 250 at 18 and then get a 600 for college :D

:xd:

You can pop up just about anything at low speed. Hell, my friend accidentally wheelied our 75 CB200 while learning to ride.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
Opinions on this bike, anyone?

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/mcy/1322295897.html

2004 Aprilia RSV1000R Mille. Price is a bit high but sounds like it's negotiable.

Upside Potential
Jun 14, 2006
If you think this guy is terrible, wait till next year.
I have narrowed my search for my first bike to the following:

1974 Kawasaki KZ400
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1320634089.html

This bike is in really good shape it just needs tires. However parts look like a bitch to find. I have been reading that people have to make their own air filters or convert the airbox :sigh: This is a classic bike and I love the look.

1981 Kawasaki KZ550
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1317718771.html

This bike needs a fair amount of work done, new tires and a tune up. The paint on the bike is original which is pretty cool. But it looks its age.

1981 Kawasaki KZ650
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/mcy/1321686282.html

The KZ650 is in the best shape, it just needs some carbs cleaned up and fresh gas. He did something weird with the ignition, but it looks like it can be fixed pretty quick. 650CC seams a little to much for a first bike, but i love the paint job on it. And for 600 bucks it seems like a really good deal.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I think I really want a TransAlp as my second motorcycle

Click here for the full 1024x685 image.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
I think I want a KLR650 as my second motorcycle

specifically, a green 2001

Flying out to pick one up and ride it home tomorrow.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Hut sold separately. Congrats man, can't wait to see it!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oakey posted:

Opinions on this bike, anyone?

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/mcy/1322295897.html

2004 Aprilia RSV1000R Mille. Price is a bit high but sounds like it's negotiable.

Buy it. The only issue with these is with the brake master cylinders needing quite frequent bleeding, but that can be fixed with new seals or aftermarket replacements.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

blugu64 posted:

Hut sold separately. Congrats man, can't wait to see it!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1324444933.html

30k Miles, what do you guys think?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Armacham posted:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1324444933.html

30k Miles, what do you guys think?

The XT600 is an awesome bike and really easy to work with, but 30K miles is pretty much. Budget with a cylinder honing, new piston rings, a carburetor rebuild, a new clutch, main bearings etc. Personally I would buy, it if I needed it. Go for it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Blaster of Justice posted:

The XT600 is an awesome bike and really easy to work with, but 30K miles is pretty much. Budget with a cylinder honing, new piston rings, a carburetor rebuild, a new clutch, main bearings etc. Personally I would buy, it if I needed it. Go for it.

Dude, seriously, what bikes are you buying where you need to do all of this work every 30k? Even the thumpers don't usually need a rebuild at that point unless they're getting really, really abused. If it's not burning oil and you don't have any slap, if the carbs aren't leaking and fueling is still good, if the clutch doesn't slip it doesn't need work.

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible
I found a blue '08 KLR650 with some farkles for 4k.

5410 miles
Extras:
14T sprocket (not installed)
Wolfman Expedition Tank Bag
Aluminum Skid Plate
Center Stand
Mini rear turn signals
Custom $600 dollar seat plus original seat (I looked this up, it's a Kontour https://www.kontourseat.com looks pretty awesome...)
Throttle lock
Accesory power outlet Rear bag.
Brand New front/rear tires Dunlop 606's
Spotlight
Ram mount for GPS
Hyper lights for braking
Misc little stuff in bucket

It has been down once, but all damaged plastics were replaced and only sign of injury is minor cosmetic on hand grips and such.

4k seems reasonable considering the upgrades. I was trying to keep my bike budget to 3k, but this is the bike I really wanted and with the lower custom seat and center stand I would have put on it...opinions?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seems like a pretty good deal. IIRC, those 606s are very offroad oriented, so you may want to consider some more street oriented tires.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Dude, seriously, what bikes are you buying where you need to do all of this work every 30k? Even the thumpers don't usually need a rebuild at that point unless they're getting really, really abused. If it's not burning oil and you don't have any slap, if the carbs aren't leaking and fueling is still good, if the clutch doesn't slip it doesn't need work.

We might just have different standards, but that's fine ;) 30K is still pretty much for an XT600. Those 30K are hardly accumulated from long road trips. I admit I was talking worst case scenario though.

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 17, 2009

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Z3n posted:

Seems like a pretty good deal. IIRC, those 606s are very offroad oriented, so you may want to consider some more street oriented tires.
Well, I have a lot of interest in playing in the dirt on weekends and my daily commute is very short, so offroad tires may be okay, but I will definitely plan on a second set for long treks on the tarmac.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Becktastic posted:

farkles!

Seems like a decent deal. You could get a cheaper bike by going older (and jumping into the larger parts supply/extremely well known bike tent), but farkles are goddamn expensive and picking/pricing them is making me want to drink more than I should.

Mine only came with the easy mods (12v accessory outlet below the luggage rack and a throttle lock). Right now my wish list is at $800, and its not near done.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pvt. Public posted:

No, what I originally asked about was an 82 Maxim 400, not the GZ250. The Shadow was not in very good condition when I looked at it. And not just dirty, but the guy couldn't tell me anything about maintenance done or previous owners or anything. And it looked abused. Not like it had been dropped, but just neglected. The tires were about out as well. And he wouldn't haggle on the price. The guy with the GZ was really nice, told me all about the PO and that he'd babied the bike (and it showed). I just feel much more comfortable with the GZ as a purchase. I'd buy a Ninja, but I don't feel comfortable on them, unfortunately.

Sorry, didn't catch the switchover. Still, unless the VLX was incredibly lovely, I would would pick it but from the sound of things the GZ might be a better choice for you.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Becktastic posted:

I found a blue '08 KLR650 with some farkles for 4k.

5410 miles
Extras:
14T sprocket (not installed)
Wolfman Expedition Tank Bag
Aluminum Skid Plate
Center Stand
Mini rear turn signals
Custom $600 dollar seat plus original seat (I looked this up, it's a Kontour https://www.kontourseat.com looks pretty awesome...)
Throttle lock
Accesory power outlet Rear bag.
Brand New front/rear tires Dunlop 606's
Spotlight
Ram mount for GPS
Hyper lights for braking
Misc little stuff in bucket

It has been down once, but all damaged plastics were replaced and only sign of injury is minor cosmetic on hand grips and such.

4k seems reasonable considering the upgrades. I was trying to keep my bike budget to 3k, but this is the bike I really wanted and with the lower custom seat and center stand I would have put on it...opinions?
the one im looking at has the exact same number of miles
http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1326552583.html :pwn:

Becktastic
Feb 6, 2009

Failure is impossible

Armacham posted:

the one im looking at has the exact same number of miles
http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/1326552583.html :pwn:
AND THAT BIKE LOOKS LIKE A LOT OF FUN.

sklnd posted:

Seems like a decent deal. You could get a cheaper bike by going older (and jumping into the larger parts supply/extremely well known bike tent), but farkles are goddamn expensive and picking/pricing them is making me want to drink more than I should.

Mine only came with the easy mods (12v accessory outlet below the luggage rack and a throttle lock). Right now my wish list is at $800, and its not near done.
Yeah, my plan on adding future farkles is to hunt craigslist for KLRs for sale and say "Hey I don't want the bike but I'll give you $$$ for those panniers!"

Farkles are a great perk of buying used. I -almost- bought this bike new from a dealership a couple weeks ago, but now I am paying ~2k less and getting a bunch of goodies! I figure I will try to barter him down a bit (why not?) but even at his full asking price it's worth snatching up. Sure, sure armacham's bike is cheaper with the same miles on it but you gotta admit the newer models are gorgeous. And after all, it's looks that are important.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

wormil posted:

Sorry, didn't catch the switchover. Still, unless the VLX was incredibly lovely, I would would pick it but from the sound of things the GZ might be a better choice for you.

It really, really was. I was sad it was such poo poo, because I wanted it pretty badly. However, I love the gently caress out of my GZ, so I think I ended up ok. Plus that extra $1200 I didn't have to spend is really nice.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

holy crap this bike is gorgeous, just wondering how much i should offer for it if it hasnt sold by the time he gets to my message

http://www.klr650.net/forums/showthread.php?p=753592

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tipped
Jan 9, 2007

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/1329569443.html

or

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/1326894423.html

or

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/mcy/1330382931.html

I'm leaning towards the top one due to all the extras. God what do I do? Also a new Thruxton is still in play, but I wasn't in love with where my legs ended up when I sat on it.