Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
It works, it works! I'm so happy. Got everything back together and it fired right up. Already sounds like its running better, no gas leaks yet but I only had it on for 2 - 3 min. Time for a test ride around the hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the letter b
Apr 21, 2003
...no more disruptive than Insight.
edit: LESS CHATTING MORE QUESTIONS

the letter b fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Aug 16, 2009

King no one
Aug 26, 2000
Forum Veteran

Nerobro posted:

That's not how diesels work. They don't have a throttle. They inject the same fuel no matter how much air goes in. The more air you put in the BETTER the fuel you inject burns. Also the higher the effective compression ratio, so the better the thermal efficiency. There's not reason to ever have a diesel without a turbo.
That may be how older mechanical pumps worked but from what I've read it is not the case anymore. Electronics measure and inject the appropriate amount of fuel to maximize efficiency and reduce emissions.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I recently did an oil change on my bike and put in some super fancy race 10w40 in my bike. Tocico is the brand I believe? After I did this, it seems my bike is running a bit hotter than with the normal Rotella I use. Is there a difference between oils even with the same viscosity rating or am I just imagining things?

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

Is it ok to use any type of antifreeze in a motorcycle? My service manual for my 08 ninja 250r says that it needs ethylene glycol for aluminum engines. I picked some up at walmart, but it only mentions cars and light trucks on the label, so I figured I'd ask before pouring it in. Thanks again, guys.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Orange Someone posted:

My friend's 1993 Honda CB400 Super Four had a problem with the old battery not charging. I reckoned it was either because of a dodgy battery, not being giving enough time to charge (he liked starting it up in the garage since he cannae ride it atm) or the charging system being faulty.

So I checked the charging system (using the ever reliable point at garage door, rev bike and see how bright(er) the light gets), seemed to be working, so we bought a new battery. Seemed to be all fine and dandy, with maybe a small amount of hesitation sometimes when starting after lots of short trips.

Then the bike decided to die when he was pottering around the local estate, and the worrying thing was that it wouldn't bump start plus the battery was too low to even turn the starter over, so we pushed it home and put it on charge.

Just wondering if it's likely that the charging system is working, but not well enough. Been mighty busy at work, so not checked the bike since we put it on charge. Really got to cram it into his brain not to run the bike in the garage. Hopefully that will soon be a moot point, he's doing his DAS now (mod 1 tomorrow).

It's probably the voltage regulator.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orange Someone posted:

My friend's 1993 Honda CB400 Super Four had a problem with the old battery not charging. I reckoned it was either because of a dodgy battery, not being giving enough time to charge (he liked starting it up in the garage since he cannae ride it atm) or the charging system being faulty.

So I checked the charging system (using the ever reliable point at garage door, rev bike and see how bright(er) the light gets), seemed to be working, so we bought a new battery. Seemed to be all fine and dandy, with maybe a small amount of hesitation sometimes when starting after lots of short trips.

Then the bike decided to die when he was pottering around the local estate, and the worrying thing was that it wouldn't bump start plus the battery was too low to even turn the starter over, so we pushed it home and put it on charge.

Just wondering if it's likely that the charging system is working, but not well enough. Been mighty busy at work, so not checked the bike since we put it on charge. Really got to cram it into his brain not to run the bike in the garage. Hopefully that will soon be a moot point, he's doing his DAS now (mod 1 tomorrow).

The r/r is probably hosed, check the stator output and resistance, and do a diode test on the r/r. Its unlikely to be the stator so your best bet is to ring round bike breakers or trawl ebay for a new r/r.
Pretty much any honda (or suzuki or yamaha) r/r that has 5 wires will do, the only difference will be the connector blocks and the mounting holes.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Entreri posted:

Is it ok to use any type of antifreeze in a motorcycle? My service manual for my 08 ninja 250r says that it needs ethylene glycol for aluminum engines. I picked some up at walmart, but it only mentions cars and light trucks on the label, so I figured I'd ask before pouring it in. Thanks again, guys.

ninja250.org says it doesn't matter what it's for.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

shaitan posted:

ninja250.org says it doesn't matter what it's for.

Just make sure whatever you use is compatible with whats already in there. If in doubt flush out all the old stuff and in with the new. I can't imagine a coolant flush is that much work on a ex250.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
What can I do about a leaky gas cap? I'm trying to use one of those commercial rust cleaning-and-sealing products, but when I started to rinse the tank out, I noticed liquid leaking out the edges of the gas cap at a scary pace. Should I just replace it?

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

AncientTV posted:

What can I do about a leaky gas cap? I'm trying to use one of those commercial rust cleaning-and-sealing products, but when I started to rinse the tank out, I noticed liquid leaking out the edges of the gas cap at a scary pace. Should I just replace it?

It's proll'y not expensive to replace. If you prefer to repair, there's a good chance the problem is the ubber o-ring around the threaded part of the cap (or lack thereof). Shouldn't be a hard item to find at a hardware store.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know somewhere in Washington I can rent a motorcycle that isn't a cruiser or tourer? The sportiest bikes I've seen for rent are FJRs and Triumph Trophys.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

OrangeFurious posted:

It's proll'y not expensive to replace. If you prefer to repair, there's a good chance the problem is the ubber o-ring around the threaded part of the cap (or lack thereof). Shouldn't be a hard item to find at a hardware store.

Yeah, I actually have another gascap on the way that someone threw in with the ignition I needed. I tried some sealer on the rubber ring, but I think the cap may be bent a bit; the PO didn't have all the bolts screwed into the outer ring.
:ughh:

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
So turns out in my continued research on Arizona (where I'm moving) they have required emissions on anything with an engine bigger than 90cc. Now I'm wondering if I need that charcoal-whatsit on the CA version of my bike, or if that catalytic converter will be enough. It's a 2008 r6 with 6k miles on it and stock everything (including exhaust). I figure I'll be fine, but it'll be my only method of transportation and I know bikes can be notorious their fumes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Taisa posted:

So turns out in my continued research on Arizona (where I'm moving) they have required emissions on anything with an engine bigger than 90cc. Now I'm wondering if I need that charcoal-whatsit on the CA version of my bike, or if that catalytic converter will be enough. It's a 2008 r6 with 6k miles on it and stock everything (including exhaust). I figure I'll be fine, but it'll be my only method of transportation and I know bikes can be notorious their fumes.

Do they smog? Do they even check anything?

Taisa
Jul 22, 2004
Sexy Incubus
My guess is it's the same as cars, though based on the ambiguity of the best website I could find I really have no idea. I know CA has different setups for bikes (like the charcoal-whatsit) and I'm wondering if that really makes or breaks the emissions test.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Taisa posted:

My guess is it's the same as cars, though based on the ambiguity of the best website I could find I really have no idea. I know CA has different setups for bikes (like the charcoal-whatsit) and I'm wondering if that really makes or breaks the emissions test.

You shouldn't need to be too concerned about it. Usually, all the Charcoal Cannister does is take fumes from the gas tank and dump them into the charcoal, rather than letting them evaporate. Sometimes it'll be a part of a recirculation system. However, just to be sure, I'd call the AZ DMV and ask them what sort of smog testing they do for motorcycles.

quote:

Call Us

Monday – Friday (except on holidays)
8:00 am to 5:00 pm
(Customers on hold by 4:30 pm will be served.)

Phoenix: 602-255-0072
Tucson: 520-629-9808
Elsewhere in Arizona: 800-251-5866

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 17, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

King no one posted:

That may be how older mechanical pumps worked but from what I've read it is not the case anymore. Electronics measure and inject the appropriate amount of fuel to maximize efficiency and reduce emissions.

The physics of a diesel hasn't changed. Electonics just stop you from making a bunch of smoke. With mechanical fuel pumps on diesels it was possable to over fuel the engine, and therefore make black smoke. Electronics can also stop the diesel tick at idle.

Turbos are still a universally good thing on diesels.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

spandexcajun posted:

It works, it works! I'm so happy. Got everything back together and it fired right up. Already sounds like its running better, no gas leaks yet but I only had it on for 2 - 3 min. Time for a test ride around the hood.

Good news: The bike starts right up and warms up faster, I can take the choke off after just a few min instead of 5 or 6. No more popping when I let off the throttle at all. Not a drop of gas leaking from anywhere. Generally the bike is running way better then it was.

Bad news: After the bike is warmed up when I let off the throttle the engine speed reduces slow and then stops around 4 - 5k RPMs, then if it sits for a minute or so it will slowly drop to the right idle. Some times it stays at the right idle, sometimes it wants to die. If I blip the throttle the engine does not want to slow down, stays running @ 5k RPMs. This behavior gets worse as the bike warms up, more so after riding around for 15 minutes or so.

I did not mess with the idle screws when I cleaned things, just the pilot screws (they were set to 2.75 turns out, I put them@ 3) but I have messed with the fast idle screw since then to no avail. I don't think I have any air leaks I will double check. The obvious thing to do is set the pilot screw back 1/4 turn each, what else can I try? Some guides on Ninja250 suggest that out of wack valves or un-synced carbs could be the culprit, but it was idling perfect before (well, before it started pissing gas and stalling everywhere) Where do I go next?

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Check the sync.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
It's either sync (unlikely as the idle does eventually comedown) or a vacuum leak.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot
Vacuum leak is plausible but check that mechanical parts are moving as they should too. Does your cable release? Is it oiled?

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Remember awhile back I asked what windshield this was?

Well I think I found it. Or one that's close enough. I think it's the F16 (tour?) windshield from National Cycle. Anyone have any experience with it? Looks pretty rad and I think I might buy one for the GS400.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/FSeries.shtml

Edit: Looks like it's not universal, but the one on the honda featured above is. hmm.

MrZig fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Aug 19, 2009

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MrZig posted:

Edit: Looks like it's not universal, but the one on the honda featured above is. hmm.

I've been looking at the same windshield for my KZ but I'm not sure how it'll look on such an old bike. The universal fitment thing is odd because in the Motovan catalog they list one part number for pretty much every bike.

Motovan:
http://www.motovan.com/common/cat/2009moto_EN/html/2009moto_EN.html

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
:wtc: ok so apparently my bike likes to eat headlight bulbs. I put in a new bulb that was a stock voltage and it burned out in under a 30 minute ride on both filaments, so something is up. What would be the possible culprits? frayed wire? a short? The only things I have done recently were install an aftermarket exhaust and paint the drat thing. :sigh:

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

spandexcajun posted:

Bad news: After the bike is warmed up when I let off the throttle the engine speed reduces slow and then stops around 4 - 5k RPMs, then if it sits for a minute or so it will slowly drop to the right idle. Some times it stays at the right idle, sometimes it wants to die. If I blip the throttle the engine does not want to slow down, stays running @ 5k RPMs. This behavior gets worse as the bike warms up, more so after riding around for 15 minutes or so.

I did not mess with the idle screws when I cleaned things, just the pilot screws (they were set to 2.75 turns out, I put them@ 3) but I have messed with the fast idle screw since then to no avail. I don't think I have any air leaks I will double check. The obvious thing to do is set the pilot screw back 1/4 turn each, what else can I try? Some guides on Ninja250 suggest that out of wack valves or un-synced carbs could be the culprit, but it was idling perfect before (well, before it started pissing gas and stalling everywhere) Where do I go next?

Oh, and I had a bike with this issue after I cleaned the carbs the other day and it turned out the grip wasn't letting the throttle snap shut all the way right away. It'd eventually idle normally, it just took a while after each throttle opening. Something to look into!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MrZig posted:

Remember awhile back I asked what windshield this was?

Well I think I found it. Or one that's close enough. I think it's the F16 (tour?) windshield from National Cycle. Anyone have any experience with it? Looks pretty rad and I think I might buy one for the GS400.

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/FSeries.shtml

I also found this installation PDF last night:

http://www.nationalcycle.com/ispl/10-119002-000.pdf

Looks pretty universal to me. Or at least I think I could easily modify it to fit if needed.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

BotchedLobotomy posted:

:wtc: ok so apparently my bike likes to eat headlight bulbs. I put in a new bulb that was a stock voltage and it burned out in under a 30 minute ride on both filaments, so something is up. What would be the possible culprits? frayed wire? a short? The only things I have done recently were install an aftermarket exhaust and paint the drat thing. :sigh:

Get a multimeter and see if your bike is starting to put out higher than average voltage.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
^^^^
Good idea as well, but...

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Yes and yes. Check your earths are good too. You need to trace the wiring back through the loom from the headlight to find the culprit. Look for damaged insulation.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Slim Pickens posted:

Anyone know somewhere in Washington I can rent a motorcycle that isn't a cruiser or tourer? The sportiest bikes I've seen for rent are FJRs and Triumph Trophys.

BMW dealers do this sort of thing fairly commonly, or at least used to. Info on the BMW USA website obviously.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Saga&dietcokefiend posted:

Good ideas

Thanks guys. I'm already hitting up friends I know in the area to see if I can bum a multimeter off them and look into what exactly is going on. In the meantime I'll take apart the headlight and follow the lines to see if anything looks nasty.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows
After my carb swap to the FCR, my DRZ takes a bit to get started. It almost always needs to have the choke on (unless its fully warm and has been ridden in the last hour or so) and when cold, it always take a lot of holding the starter before it turns on (say 5 seconds where before the swap took <1).

Is this normal? It rides fine once it's on.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

cmorrow001 posted:

After my carb swap to the FCR, my DRZ takes a bit to get started. It almost always needs to have the choke on (unless its fully warm and has been ridden in the last hour or so) and when cold, it always take a lot of holding the starter before it turns on (say 5 seconds where before the swap took <1).

Is this normal? It rides fine once it's on.

If you blip the throttle does the engine quickly back down to a steady idle? I.E. Doesn't hang at higher rpms for a second then drop down, or drop down quick to a low idle then smooth out.

If it does one or the other you need to adjust your idle air mixture (which way depends on what it's doing).

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Thanks guys. I'm already hitting up friends I know in the area to see if I can bum a multimeter off them and look into what exactly is going on. In the meantime I'll take apart the headlight and follow the lines to see if anything looks nasty.

Multimeters are like $10 and are very handy. Just go buy one.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I've been recently having some issues with my 07 Suzuki GS500. I've fixed the clutch troubles I was having, and now I'm totally hung up on why the choke isn't working. When I first bought the bike and rode it, when I would choke it to start it the bike would hang out at a fairly high RPM, and then when I turned it off it would sit and idle.
Now, when I try to start it with the choke it doesn't even start, and if I start it without the choke it will sit and idle, but die if I don't give it gas. Once the engine is running for a while and is able to idle by itself, if I turn on the choke the RPMs actually drop, the engine sputters, and often time the bike dies.

Effectively, I can't start my bike when it's cold out because the choke doesn't work, and the choke seems like it's the problem because of trying it out when the bike isn't cold and runs fine.

A: Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

B: Does this issue warrant its own thread?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
How do you guys power stuff like gps on your bikes? Do you guys use cigarette adaptors?

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

lostleaf posted:

How do you guys power stuff like gps on your bikes? Do you guys use cigarette adaptors?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3187825

If you can use usb to power it.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

lostleaf posted:

My GPS came with a fused power lead that I just ran under the tank and hooked up to the battery.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

obso posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3187825

If you can use usb to power it.

Thanks! Didn't know these things were around. Found a nice dc to usb adaptor on amazon for 15 bucks. Now I just have to avoid electrocuting myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gstu posted:

I've been recently having some issues with my 07 Suzuki GS500. I've fixed the clutch troubles I was having, and now I'm totally hung up on why the choke isn't working. When I first bought the bike and rode it, when I would choke it to start it the bike would hang out at a fairly high RPM, and then when I turned it off it would sit and idle.
Now, when I try to start it with the choke it doesn't even start, and if I start it without the choke it will sit and idle, but die if I don't give it gas. Once the engine is running for a while and is able to idle by itself, if I turn on the choke the RPMs actually drop, the engine sputters, and often time the bike dies.

Effectively, I can't start my bike when it's cold out because the choke doesn't work, and the choke seems like it's the problem because of trying it out when the bike isn't cold and runs fine.

A: Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

B: Does this issue warrant its own thread?

Are you just opening the choke completely and treating it like an on/off switch? Because it's not. Sometimes you need a little choke, when it's warmer out, and if it's really hot (110+ with your bike in the sun), you may not need any choke at all.

It sounds like you're either overdoing it or underdoing it with the choke. Most chokes do nothing/very little for the first 60% of their travel, in the next 30% they do everything, and from 90%-100% of engaged they're just full open.

Play with it a little. It's not a switch, it's an adjustment...like your throttle.