Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

tripwire posted:

You made dungeonminder? :aaa:

Good job!

I've finally got around to starting on v0.9 (last version was 0.8). Assuming I don't take forever to release it, I plan to have:

Different classes for the hero
Different level styles (I've called the one above "Caverns")
Better UI with actual menus, options, etc
Several difficulty levels (maybe someone will actually win)

I honestly wasn't going to work on this past the 7drl, but I wasn't expecting the amount of encouragement and positive feedback that I have been getting. It would be flattering to me if even ten other people had played my game. So if you've enjoyed it, then thank you very much!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scanlonman
Feb 7, 2008

by R. Guyovich

AgentF posted:

'Sup, roguelike buddy?

Woah, that looks great! What language and libraries are you using? I'm really curious how you made the window bigger than 80x24 (I think that was it)

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

He's using libtcod

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Yeah, it's only a simulated terminal, so I won't be able to throw this game up onto an SSH server (without substantial changes). The library supplies a lot of conveniences (such as input/output handling, pathfinding, FOV calculation, BSP toolkit) and if I had to write them all myself, I probably wouldn't have finished my first release in one week.

By providing a low-level platform for roguelikes, the developer is allowed to begin writing gameplay and unique mechanics immediately. One striking example is this crazy bastard, who used the library to write a fully raytraced 2.5D view for his roguelike.

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

wlievens posted:

I've done a couple of those too, but never went anywhere with them. What are you planning on making?

Mostly just something fun while work drives me nuts, but technically a complete game engine. There are so many "this almost works" or "this is only one piece" JS game bits out there, not many (any?) complete frameworks. If I eventually end up with one that "almost works" I won't dump it on the world.

newsomnuke
Feb 25, 2007

AgentF posted:

One striking example is this crazy bastard, who used the library to write a fully raytraced 2.5D view for his roguelike.

Haha, that is so damned cool.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

tripwire posted:

Very nice! ;)
Any chance you could hook me up with your source, I want to see how you used mmap.
Sure, knock yourself out.. Interestingly, the Perl semantics for memory-mapped files are different than C's; you still get a fileglob and seek()/read() around the file rather than indexing into an array (which makes me worried I'm not using it correctly, but it's what the perlio docs said to do so there you go)

AgentF posted:

'Sup, roguelike buddy?

Goddrat. Even though I learned a lot implementing my I/O routines from scratch, this looks really great.

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it

A few screenshots from my current C#/XNA game, Dysnomia. It's the most ambitious game I've tried to develop yet, and I'm pretty pleased with how it's working out!

Couple of vids.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

I need to shade some flat polygons, so to visualize the resulting colors I made this Phong shaded ball. I think I spent more time trying to wrap my brain around 3D rotations than the rest combined.

VVV It's phong but the normals are rounded to the nearest 0.1 (without re-normalizing them, whoops) to get a flatter look.

Max Facetime fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 17, 2009

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
(That's flat shading, not Phong shading.)

Commander Keen
Oct 6, 2003

The doomed voyage of the Obsessivo-Compulsivo will haunt me forever

FatboYgw posted:

A few screenshots from my current C#/XNA game, Dysnomia. It's the most ambitious game I've tried to develop yet, and I'm pretty pleased with how it's working out!

Couple of vids.

It's like old-school Duke Nukem meets Gauntlet!

This makes me happy.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Commander Keen posted:

It's like old-school Duke Nukem meets Gauntlet!

This makes me happy.
Reminds me of the Crusader games. Well done.

ImDifferent
Sep 20, 2001

http://www.magnifeast.com

Los Angeles online food delivery/carryout website - 500+ restaurants and counting! Built by myself and two other ex-videogame industry folks over the past few months.

It's a blend of merb, couchdb, ruby, and some rather esoteric javascript systems on the client-side - all running on EC2. Still technically "beta", but now open to the public.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

ImDifferent posted:

http://www.magnifeast.com

Los Angeles online food delivery/carryout website - 500+ restaurants and counting! Built by myself and two other ex-videogame industry folks over the past few months.

It's a blend of merb, couchdb, ruby, and some rather esoteric javascript systems on the client-side - all running on EC2. Still technically "beta", but now open to the public.

Nice. If you need some ideas for where you can take it, I can recommend taking a look at Just-Eat.

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
I'm making a graphics demo -- not a demoscene type demo, just poo poo I hack together. Everything except for the model is procedural which explains why the model is the only thing that isn't ugly as sin.

Click here for the full 1040x614 image.

This picture demonstrates my lack of ability to adjust color levels, my inability to understand the concept of anti-aliasing, and how truly bad procedural clouds can possibly look when done poorly.

Click here for the full 1040x614 image.

This picture shows off my closeted fetish for soft shadows, my sophomoric affection for poorly implemented bloom, what procedural materials look like when lacking a fundamental understanding of how to use them, jarring aliasing artifacts, and a complete failure to light even the simplest of scenes.

Somehow, despite the fact that no new or novel ideas are presented, I managed to make this slow as molasses.

Constructive criticism that doesn't cause me to jump off a bridge would be appreciated.

Sex Bumbo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 13, 2009

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Stanlo posted:

Constructive criticism that doesn't cause me to jump off a bridge would be appreciated.

I actually really like the marbel effect but you probably need to foul around with the noise texture a bit cause you can see the patterns repeating.

As an added exercise, try to add procedurally generated normals to the marble slabs that kind of slant down near the edge of each slab. It's a fun experiment :).

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
I couldn't figure out how to procedurally generate marble tiles that had high frequency detail and also rendered at high resolutions at 60fps so I plunked them into a 12 layer texture array and spat them out like that. So yeah, there's only 12 different tiles, I guess I could pump out more since I'm only using about 16 megs of vram to store them but my laptop has been crying to me about memory issues already. I've also been meaning to randomly flip and rotate the tiles but I still have other dumb ideas to add that I think would improve the scene more. I guess another low effort improvement would be to make sure identical tiles are never adjacent or close to each other.

I couldn't figure out how to antialias the edges, especially in the grazing angle-far away case, soooooo I render each tile as a quad and rely on multisampling to give me the worst antialiasing possible. Any ideas? I couldn't come up with any fancy pixel shader tricks that didn't cause atrocious swimming artifacts. Also, I get lighting artifacts on the column where there's high frequency geometry data. More/better MSAA helps but doesn't solve it at all. I'm thinking selective SSAA might work? If I do that I might throw out MSAA altogether, it's kind of a pain.

I wanted the tiles to look perfectly flat, sounds like laziness but I was aiming for a "clean and smooth" look and feel.

Thanks.

Sex Bumbo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 13, 2009

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Stanlo posted:

I couldn't figure out how to procedurally generate marble tiles that had high frequency detail and also rendered at high resolutions at 60fps so I plunked them into a 12 layer texture array and spat them out like that. So yeah, there's only 12 different tiles, I guess I could pump out more since I'm only using about 16 megs of vram to store them but my laptop has been crying to me about memory issues already. I've also been meaning to randomly flip and rotate the tiles but I still have other dumb ideas to add that I think would improve the scene more. I guess another low effort improvement would be to make sure identical tiles are never adjacent or close to each other.

Use one noise texture, make the resolution large-ish and just index it differently per-tile (shift coords around, shift x/z factors etc).

quote:

I couldn't figure out how to antialias the edges, especially in the grazing angle-far away case, soooooo I render each tile as a quad and rely on multisampling to give me the worst antialiasing possible. Any ideas? I couldn't come up with any fancy pixel shader tricks that didn't cause atrocious swimming artifacts.
I'm not seeing it in the pictures...could you post a screenshot?

Sex Bumbo
Aug 14, 2004
Yeah, that sounds like a good solution. I was lured in by the benefits of mipmapping and anisotropic filtering by baking them though. Do you know of good ways to do LOD on noisy textures? I can reduce the number of octaves but that doesn't solve swimming problems like mips do.

In the attachment, I'm doing 4x/0q MSAA. Anything higher kills perf at high resolutions : (.

Additionally, if I were to procedurally evaluate the tile textures every frame, what would be a good way to reconcile edge discontinuities?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sex Bumbo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Aug 14, 2009

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
I spent the weekend redoing my website's homepage. Lots of javascript stuff and you'll need a good machine to run it.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

I spent the weekend redoing my website's homepage. Lots of javascript stuff and you'll need a good machine to run it.

You put so much work into it and then you have the links on the bottom blue and don't set the font so they show up as times new roman (in my browser). why?

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

clockwork automaton posted:

why?

Because i'm an idiot.

Good point, I'll fix that in a few hours.

edit fixed!

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 17, 2009

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

Because i'm an idiot.

Good point, I'll fix that in a few hours.

edit fixed!
I'm not sure if you meant to do this but there is a large amount of ground under neath everything, I can scroll down to see a wall of dirt

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Sweeper posted:

I'm not sure if you meant to do this but there is a large amount of ground under neath everything, I can scroll down to see a wall of dirt

It's a continually shrinking wall of dirt, for some reason. Also the clouds stop every couple seconds.

EDIT: Oh my god you use Whitesmith braces what in the name of all that is good and pure is wrong with you

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 17, 2009

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Avenging Dentist posted:

EDIT: Oh my god you use Whitesmith braces what in the name of all that is good and pure is wrong with you

~*Javascript tutorials*~

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's a continually shrinking wall of dirt, for some reason.
What browser are you using? It works for me in FF/Safari/Chrome.

The clouds slowing to a halt every few seconds is intentional, but the shrinking wall of dirt isn't.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Worse than that, it's a mixture of whitesmith and almost-KNF style due to cut n' pasting :(

Edit: Fixed the bracing, I think. /*~ Javascript Tutorials ~*/

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Aug 17, 2009

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

FF 3.5.2 (it works now, incidentally, but this may be because the time is different).

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

The clouds slowing to a halt every few seconds is intentional, but the shrinking wall of dirt isn't.

When it's paused, the sun/moon stops but the clouds don't. Not sure if that's intentional, but it's not intuitive.

Also any plans to have that page like... do more stuff? Or is it just basically a portal page for the links in the corner?

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

N.Z.'s Champion posted:

The clouds slowing to a halt looks kind of odd. I know it's a design decision on your part, but it would almost better if they slowed but never did stop entirely. Clouds don't just stop moving it looks sorta odd to go from fairly quick moving clouds to no motion at all.

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker

Avenging Dentist posted:

FF 3.5.2 (it works now, incidentally, but this may be because the time is different).
I think I spotted a bug in the code for certain times and that's fixed now. Thanks for pointing that out :)

Supervillin posted:

When it's paused, the sun/moon stops but the clouds don't. Not sure if that's intentional, but it's not intuitive.

clockwork automaton posted:

The clouds slowing to a halt looks kind of odd.

The clouds are now tied into the position of the drag bar, but it doesn't yet accelerate and decelerate as it probably should.

Supervillin posted:

Also any plans to have that page like... do more stuff? Or is it just basically a portal page for the links in the corner?
I'll keep adding to it, yeah. There's this other site I did with lots of tricks (Eg. click on the top-right widget to add shootable tagclouds) which I've kept adding to over the years and I suppose I'll do the same with this one.

N.Z.'s Champion fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 18, 2009

Belgarath
Feb 21, 2003
Factor Mystic's Default Programs Editor made it onto Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5339059/default-programs-editor-changes-file-associations-with-ease

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Belgarath posted:

Factor Mystic's Default Programs Editor made it onto Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5339059/default-programs-editor-changes-file-associations-with-ease

quote:

It's a powerful, slick utility that probably should have been included in Windows by default.
Okay, Factor Mystic, I'll stop making fun of you for your earlier abomination.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

king_kilr posted:

A webbased IRC client I did for the DjangoDash competition (48 hours with 2 other people). This is the only screenshot I have at this second.

This looks awesome. Are you open for testers yet?

I use Chromium full-time because I roll like that, but was missing a lot of the greasemonkey features that the SALR Firefox extension gave the site. So I'm banging the features I like out myself (quote highlighting is implemented but not shown):

Click here for the full 1135x720 image.

Still a little more work to go, but it's pretty much where I want it to be.

king_kilr
May 25, 2007

Ferg posted:

This looks awesome. Are you open for testers yet?

I use Chromium full-time because I roll like that, but was missing a lot of the greasemonkey features that the SALR Firefox extension gave the site. So I'm banging the features I like out myself (quote highlighting is implemented but not shown):

Click here for the full 1135x720 image.

Still a little more work to go, but it's pretty much where I want it to be.

It was up at leafychat.com, however we had to take it down because it was negatively affecting some of the other apps that were running on the server :(

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Scaevolus posted:

Okay, Factor Mystic, I'll stop making fun of you for your earlier abomination.

~*^best palz^*~
:3:

Id4ever
Dec 2, 2004

www.fontcapture.com

I just launched fontcapture.com, which is a website that lets you create a custom handwriting font. Hardly unique, but the other sites like this cost money to use, and I plan to add a few unique features in the future, such as the ability to make small adjustments to your font (character spacing, vertical alignment etc).

The front end is built on Django, which I must say has been a joy to work with. I'm using PIL for image processing, plus some custom code for detecting the location and orientation of the font template (this was probably the hardest part of the whole thing, as I've never touched image recognition algorithms before). The actual TrueType font is generated using the FontForge Python extension. FontForge itself is a decent but pretty weird open source font editor, but the Python extension is nice enough to work with.

It's a little rough around the edges still, but I think it's quite usable. I definitely need to clean up some of the language on the site, currently it's pretty obvious that English isn't my native language.

Id4ever fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 25, 2009

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Id4ever posted:

www.fontcapture.com

Hello new Eclipse font

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Id4ever posted:

I just launched fontcapture.com,

I just broke fontcapture.com. It may be the 60mb PNG I tried to upload (1200dpi). I tried again with a 4.6MB PNG at 1/4 of the resolution and got

code:
Page unavailable

We're sorry, but the requested page is currently unavailable.

Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact us at [email]email@fontcapture.com[/email], or use our Contact form.

Id4ever
Dec 2, 2004

Zakalwe posted:

I just broke fontcapture.com. It may be the 60mb PNG I tried to upload (1200dpi). I tried again with a 4.6MB PNG at 1/4 of the resolution and got ...

Thanks. The image size limit is 14 megapixels. An error message that is a bit more user friendly was supposed to inform you of that, of course the code responsible for rendering that message contained a syntax error, so you just got the standard 500 error page :(

Fixed now.

CoasterMaster posted:

Hello new Eclipse font

Haha, brilliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Id4ever posted:

I just launched fontcapture.com, which is a website that lets you create a custom handwriting font. Hardly unique, but the other sites like this cost money to use, and I plan to add a few unique features in the future, such as the ability to make small adjustments to your font (letter spacing, character alignment etc).

Beautiful. Thanks for the new font!