Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
TransAlp :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Yeah im not opposed to street bikes. I actually wanted one about the same as i wanted an enduro, i just thought the enduro would be more practical for the bad economy. You know, like a worst case scenario bike, since im still in school and jobs are tough. I hate to hog up this thread. But how do you guys like the sv650. i know theres a whole thread on them, but what about compared to street triples.Im practically in love with the street triple. Iv seen a few on CL in my range. Im open to any bikes i could have new or used for 6000 ish, with the exception of sport bikes unless theyr naked. Cant stand 90% of faired bikes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Don't buy a street triple as a first bike. 100ish HP is going to be too much for a new rider.

SVs are good starter bikes if you have a level head about things and aren't gonna hang on the throttle all the time. They're right at the top of the power range that a new rider can usually handle, which means they're very quick but not insane. (3.8ish seconds to 60, 12 second quarter)

Other options are GS500s, or any older UJM, Bandit 600, so on and so forth.

You really need to give us more info than just that though. Thus far your only thing you've said you prefer is "unfaired". There's a lot of options there :v:

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Iv rode a bike before, already had my low ujm (low cc as it is.) I guess im still a new rider, iv only owned a 100cc. (and my current scooter) I have my moto endorsement already though. One of my main concerns with getting a street bike was that it would feel like a street bike. Probably sounds ridiculous, but to me an enduro just seemed like i could wake up in the morning and throw on a backpack with some chips and go wandering until sundown kind of bike. My first 'motorcycle' ever was a 40cc moped. And it had that feeling. It was the best. I could wander around, and if i came to some gravel or light trail riding it wouldnt be an issue. On my scooter now i dont have that feeling at all. Its become almost a hassle. Do you find that feeling with more street oriented bikes? It just seems like a hassle to me like my scooter is. My jap 100cc enduro i had for a little while was great aswell.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

philkop posted:

Iv rode a bike before, already had my low ujm (low cc as it is.) I guess im still a new rider, iv only owned a 100cc. (and my current scooter) I have my moto endorsement already though. One of my main concerns with getting a street bike was that it would feel like a street bike. Probably sounds ridiculous, but to me an enduro just seemed like i could wake up in the morning and throw on a backpack with some chips and go wandering until sundown kind of bike. My first 'motorcycle' ever was a 40cc moped. And it had that feeling. It was the best. I could wander around, and if i came to some gravel or light trail riding it wouldnt be an issue. On my scooter now i dont have that feeling at all. Its become almost a hassle. Do you find that feeling with more street oriented bikes? It just seems like a hassle to me like my scooter is. My jap 100cc enduro i had for a little while was great aswell.

It's all in how comfortable you feel. I've run an SV over dirt roads on street tires and was perfectly fine, just had to slow down. With Distanzias or other crossover type tires, I'm sure an SV would handle dirt and fire trails without an issue. Hell, I've seen guys on R1s run up dirt roads without an issue.

Really, though, it seems like you're looking for 2 different bikes. Something small and light with knobbies for off road riding, and something with a bigger engine that's more comfortable for distance.

Tall Midget
Oct 7, 2000
I just moved to Las Vegas and I am looking to get a motorcycle since I can ride it year-round. I would prefer a cruiser and to buy used due to the cheaper insurance but I can get a brand new 2009 Ninja 500R for $3740 out the door, is that a good price? I would prefer a 250cc bike but I plan on riding @ 55 mph to work and from what i've read all the 250cc bikes are either too small (I'm 6'3") or not that highway worthy.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
An EX250/ninja 250 will do 105mph. People seem bothered by running engines at their torque peak, but this doesn't hurt a well engineered engine. I think "we" got to used to craptastic american v8 power :-)

There are other 250's with 50 or 60hp in street trim.

Just saying a "250" isn't highway worthy isn't a fair thing to say. Go sit on a few bikes. See what you like.

This isn't to say that the EX500 is a bad bike.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Tall Midget posted:

I just moved to Las Vegas and I am looking to get a motorcycle since I can ride it year-round. I would prefer a cruiser and to buy used due to the cheaper insurance but I can get a brand new 2009 Ninja 500R for $3740 out the door, is that a good price? I would prefer a 250cc bike but I plan on riding @ 55 mph to work and from what i've read all the 250cc bikes are either too small (I'm 6'3") or not that highway worthy.

The Ninja 250 will do 75-80 all day, 55 is nothing. Whether you're comfortable on one is another story.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
In my area any decent Ex500 seems to be about 3000$ but a decent 650r is about 4000$ would I be crazy for getting the 650r? it's cheaper than SV650s i've seen and is about equal in terms of power as far as i've read. Oh yeah first bike,

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I have a 27 year old bike with 49hp...and it'll do 105mph (according to another bike's speedo, mine stops at 85). You can get into plenty of trouble, and keep up with plenty of $40k cars.

Think about it, if you and your bike weigh 650lbs, at 50hp, you still have 153hp per ton. That's roughly equivalent of a 3000 pound car (fairly light nowadays) with 260 hp...quite a bit more than you'd find in most cars, especially cars people are willing to let you learn to drive in :D

I learned to ride a sport bike (750cc ninja), and my bike is faaaaantastically fun to ride, even on the highways with that little engine revving to the moon :D

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I'm not looking to go crazy fast or anything, something fun, reliable, and with a decent riding position, which seems to be what the 650r is good at, and hell it looks great too I think, the ex500 looks a bit dated and I wish they'd to a overhaul of it like they did with the 08 250r.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Z3n posted:

Really, though, it seems like you're looking for 2 different bikes.

Believe me, its more than that. :3: I also want an old ujm to cafe. A race replica looking bike to have fun on the track, survival bike for when the zombies come. It never stops Thanks for all the help. I'm most likely going to go with an sv. Probably used, so I can get to work comfortably. And then a lovely old ujm enduro for those days i just feel like wandering with no passengers or gear.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dracon Wolf posted:

I'm really looking at the Kawasaki Vulcan 500.

A Vulcan 500 should run you $2-3k depending on condition. They run on the same (but de-tuned) engine as a Ninja 500.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Tall Midget posted:

from what i've read all the 250cc bikes are ... not that highway worthy.

3PM. Flagpole. Don't be late.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Nerobro posted:

An EX250/ninja 250 will do 105mph. People seem bothered by running engines at their torque peak, but this doesn't hurt a well engineered engine. I think "we" got to used to craptastic american v8 power :-)

There are other 250's with 50 or 60hp in street trim.

Just saying a "250" isn't highway worthy isn't a fair thing to say. Go sit on a few bikes. See what you like.

This isn't to say that the EX500 is a bad bike.

yeah its way more complicated than just saying "250, no highway" you have to look at gearing, etc

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Oh god what did I just get myself into!?!?

Bought a 1982 Suzuki GS850GL tonight for $700.

It's in real good mechanical condition but the paint and bright work shows that it is 27 yrs old. It has a short in the left turn signal that I'll have to find but that is cake.

Here is the best picture of it from the craigslist add. It was too dark when I got home to get anything better. I'll make a proper thread tomorrow to show it in all it's glory and it will be a project thread since I'll be doing some stuff to it.

dw06WU
Aug 25, 2002
el burro

Tall Midget posted:

I had a 2005 EX500D and I am looking to upgrade because it was such a small bike. I'm about 6'3 and 250lb. I wouldn't want to ride on anything smaller than what I had.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dw06WU posted:

I had a 2005 EX500D and I am looking to upgrade because it was such a small bike. I'm about 6'3 and 250lb. I wouldn't want to ride on anything smaller than what I had.

Not this poo poo again. Have you ever ridden any other bikes besides your 500?

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Tindjin posted:

Welcome to the club :)

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Tindjin posted:

In case you haven't heard, https://www.thegsresources.com is your friend. A great group of guys (mostly) and a real goldmine for GS specific knowledge.

A 2nd welcome to the club!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Jesus I think the GS owners in CA now outnumber all other brands.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

8ender posted:

Jesus I think the GS owners in CA now outnumber all other brands.

There should be a poll. I put money on the GS riders just being vocal in other general threads. The 250 thread is bigger than all GS threads I can remember.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

UserNotFound posted:

There should be a poll. I put money on the GS riders just being vocal in other general threads. The 250 thread is bigger than all GS threads I can remember.

I'm kinda interested too. What else could go in a poll?

• EX250/500 (because there's all kinds of GSes, and only a couple 500s anway)
• Zuke GS
• ?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

dw06WU posted:

You wanna go punk? YOU WANNA GO???

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

sirbeefalot posted:

I'm kinda interested too. What else could go in a poll?

• EX250/500 (because there's all kinds of GSes, and only a couple 500s anway)
• Zuke GS
• ?
SV

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

UserNotFound posted:

In case you haven't heard, https://www.thegsresources.com is your friend. A great group of guys (mostly) and a real goldmine for GS specific knowledge.

A 2nd welcome to the club!

Yea before I made the offer I was luckily enough to find that site and holy poo poo they do have a huge knowledge base on the GS.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phy posted:

SV

The GS, SV, and 250 crews make up a huge percentage of CA. I think that the GS crew would win though, because they've had a much longer model year run and a much larger variation of displacements.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road

Z3n posted:

The GS, SV, and 250 crews make up a huge percentage of CA. I think that the GS crew would win though, because they've had a much longer model year run and a much larger variation of displacements.

Not to mention from my limited GS expierience (LOL) the GS's are much heavier on average so we are stronger. ;o)

Tall Midget
Oct 7, 2000
So the motorcycle dealer that is selling a brand new 2009 Ninja 500R for 3500 bucks is coming by my house. I called some dealers to see if they would match the price ($3500 dollars) and they all said it's too low as the MSRP is $5500. Is there anything I should look for on the bike to make sure i'm not getting shafted?

dw06WU
Aug 25, 2002
el burro

Z3n posted:

Not this poo poo again. Have you ever ridden any other bikes besides your 500?

blugu64 posted:

You wanna go punk? YOU WANNA GO???

Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa whoa. Whoa. No disrespect meant here, I love the ninjas. I just want something taller. I feel weird riding it sometimes. I figured another person the same height as me may share the same opinion. Just a matter of preference really.

And no, I haven't ridden many other bikes. I've ridden my friend's Honda cruiser but that's about it.

dw06WU
Aug 25, 2002
el burro

Tall Midget posted:

So the motorcycle dealer that is selling a brand new 2009 Ninja 500R for 3500 bucks is coming by my house. I called some dealers to see if they would match the price ($3500 dollars) and they all said it's too low as the MSRP is $5500. Is there anything I should look for on the bike to make sure i'm not getting shafted?

Are you sure it's a 500 and not a 250?? That seems pretty low.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

dw06WU posted:

Whoa whoa whoa. Whoa whoa. Whoa. No disrespect meant here, I love the ninjas. I just want something taller. I feel weird riding it sometimes. I figured another person the same height as me may share the same opinion. Just a matter of preference really.

And no, I haven't ridden many other bikes. I've ridden my friend's Honda cruiser but that's about it.

Apology accepted.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

dw06WU posted:

:colbert:

Fair enough, haha. So tired of having to point out to people that yes, the ninja 250 can go on the freeway, and yes, it can go the distance, that's what I thought you were refering to by "too small". :)

You may find that an older UJM is a good choice if you're looking for a physically larger bike. Most bikes are getting smaller over time.

Or you could just get a Bking.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
On height issue. How are the svs for height. Id be getting a pointy naked model. I'm on the upper side of 6 4. Before someone says go sit on one at the dealer, iv tried, they don't have any 08s left. But I have sat on my dream bike the street triple and it fits like a glove. the two similar in size?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

philkop posted:

On height issue. How are the svs for height. Id be getting a pointy naked model. I'm on the upper side of 6 4. Before someone says go sit on one at the dealer, iv tried, they don't have any 08s left. But I have sat on my dream bike the street triple and it fits like a glove. the two similar in size?

Vaugely. The problem isn't really the size of the bike, but how you fit onto the bike. Any SV from 03-08 is going to be identical unless modded, so try and dig one up. Or find one on craigslist and take it for a spin.

dw06WU
Aug 25, 2002
el burro

Z3n posted:

:colbert:

Fair enough, haha. So tired of having to point out to people that yes, the ninja 250 can go on the freeway, and yes, it can go the distance, that's what I thought you were refering to by "too small". :)

You may find that an older UJM is a good choice if you're looking for a physically larger bike. Most bikes are getting smaller over time.

Or you could just get a Bking.

Wow, those BKings look pretty sweet. Why have I never heard of it before??? Off to do research..

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Joy rides FTW. yeah I'll look around, wouldn't feel too bad doing it because id actually consider the bike if i found a good deal. Try to set up a payment plan or something.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

dw06WU posted:

Wow, those BKings look pretty sweet. Why have I never heard of it before??? Off to do research..

Everytime I see "BKing" on suzukis website or elsewhere I picture The creepy burger kind guy with a big rear end bking between his legs rolling by with a sly stare. Too sleepy, otherwise id attempt a photoshop

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

^^^^^ that sounds amazing.

dw06WU posted:

It's essentially a naked Hayabusa, not really recommended to newish riders. :v:

Give it like, 5 years and I'll have one of those with a massive turbo hanging off the side, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dw06WU
Aug 25, 2002
el burro

Z3n posted:

^^^^^ that sounds amazing.

It's essentially a naked Hayabusa, not really recommended to newish riders. :v:

Give it like, 5 years and I'll have one of those with a massive turbo hanging off the side, though.

Yeah, holy crap. I'm looking for some more oomph but I still don't think I'm anywhere near being able to handle busa-like power.