Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

BITCH, I'D RATHER KEEP MY PTSD THAN HAVE YOUR BITCH ASS TRY TO HELP

DUNSON'D
I finally found those stupid wire cubes. If anybody else is having trouble, they're in Home Improvement at Target and cost me $16.99 for 23 squares. The people there had absolutely no idea what I was talking about until I was able to show them a picture. Oh, and for some reason, Target doesn't sell zipties. Anyway, I'm now putting together Bear's new digs and will update with pictures once the penthouse is complete. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good
Target does sell zipties but there's somewhere completely bizarre. I want to say they are in Automotive but I'm not sure. That threw me for a loop as well. Glad you found the cubes, keep us posted.

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
Weird, the person working there said they didn't. I finished his condo and it's pretty simple, but I dig it. :) Unfortunately, Bear is able to squeeze through the big squares without much trouble. He's more fluff than I thought. His new digs will have to go inside of his pen rather than as an addition.

roxareinmyhead
Oct 25, 2007

pew pew pew pew
They sell zipties in automotive, but in a weird bundle of all sorts of color and sizes. I just went to walmart and got 100 8" zipties for like $2 per pack.

CatholicSoulTrain
Oct 27, 2006

So we just adopted this little guy yesterday.

He's a half-a-lop, though it looks like he only has one ear in every drat picture he takes. We adopted him from a local shelter that doesn't normally take in buns, so when we showed up to meet him he was in a tiny dog crate with nothing but newspaper, a water bottle and bowl of "food" that looked more like seed or nuts. They called it "regular rabbit food." I don't know what that means, but it didn't look like anything I've ever fed mine, so we brought him home, if only to feed him better.

Took him to the vet today, and he brought a bunch of presents with him: ear mites, pasteurella pustules on his ears (ewww), and a pair of unwanted testicles. Fun. So he's being neutered next week after he finishes a round of antibiotics and ivermectin shots. :sigh:

But I've never seen a bunny so happy to act like a bunny. He was running and binkying all over his temp. cage last night, digging in boxes and chewing on them all morning, and eating his weight in hay. I guess we did something right. :shobon:

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
Bear binkied for the first time last night. I'd never seen it before, and man is it cute. :3:

I wanted to ask about a food called Meadow Mix by Marshall. Is it any good for buns? I work at Petsmart and it all just went on clearance, so if it's any good I'll pick up a ton. I don't know much about how good it is, though.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

CatholicSoulTrain posted:

They called it "regular rabbit food."

Sounds like the crap they sell as rabbit food at Walmart. At least your shelter feeds food actually marketed to the species in question; one of my shelters recently got a huge donation of hamster food and were feeding that to all the small animals including the parakeets! :xd:

Megalodon posted:

Meadow Mix by Marshall.

You mean this stuff, which is like short chopped hay, rather than some sort of pellet?

If that's the case, note that two of the ingredients are types of clover. Clover's a legume, not a grass hay, and has correspondingly higher protein and calcium values compared to true grass hays. So while that's otherwise a nice mix, I wouldn't feed it to a rabbit who is at risk or has a history of bladder stones or sludge. For younger rabbits, or as a treat, it's probably fine, but don't use it as a replacement for free-choice grass hay.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
I've just found this thread and I love it!

My wife and I found a bunny in our yard last October and took her in.

Cilantro in her reading chair.

Chilling in the living room.

Upon deciding to keep her, we got supplies and learned that she was litter trained and very distrusting of us. She would lunge at any hands or feet near her, which led me to believe she may have been abused and abandoned.

When we first took her in, she was all mean and bitey but she slowly got used to us and the biting all but stopped once we took her to the vet. Since then we've had a continuous stream of vet bills due to the vet discovering a broken jaw (!) that lead to several facial abscesses (!) and :siren: an infected tooth root :siren:

Cilantro (so named because it's what she ate the most of when we first got her) has been spayed and unfortunately had to have her top and bottom incisors removed due to the tooth root infection that just wouldn't go away. She's currently doing awesome after a round of Penicillin G. She should be completely healed soon!

When we're both out of the house, Cilantro has the run of the office. When we're both home, we take down the baby gate at the door and she can roam the living room and kitchen as well. She can be found laying in front of the couch, between the sitting chairs (2nd pic) and sometimes on the couch with us.

The House Bunny website has been a god send and my wife and I are probably bunny converts for life. :)

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 21, 2009

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

DS at Night posted:

So the other day I was at the vet and read some article on how bunny trancing isn't as cute as it seems, I looked and found more info on how it's more of a prey animal paralysis than relaxation. http://www.mnhouserabbit.org/care/trancing.html

Any of the more rabbit knowledgeable people have an opinion on that? I used to regret not being able to do it with my rabbit but now I think I'm glad I never really tried.

Huh, interesting. Our rabbit won't let him trance him - he's figured out a way to tilt his head just so in order to prevent it, and the times we're able to circumnavigate that he'll start to trance, then freak out and kick, so we've simply opted not to.

However, my boyfriend's old bunny used to -love- trancing. She'd come up to you in the hopes you'd do it, and would chill on a couch upside-down forever, happy to be flipped. They once came home and found that she had flipped over and tranced herself in her cage.

So I guess...it depends on the bunny?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 21, 2009

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

The good and bad news is that I realized I can't get rid of Frith, I adore him almost as much as I love Zen and I think he's realized what's up in the last week or two because he's become extra snuggly. Thanks for loading on the guilt. :sigh: The good being obviously Frith won't be rehomed. The bad being I am halfway convinced I will have two separate bunnies for the rest of their lives.

Starting hardcore bonding sessions again. Maybe my setup is bad? I put them in my (Manhattan apartment sized, so tiny) kitchen, where the floor is slick so they can't fight. The result is always Zen off in the far corner ignoring him as hard as she can and simultaneously giving me the stink eye for not doing the same, and Frith flopped on or near me cuddling it up. Occasionally they'll inch by each other, attempt to solicit grooming, not give in to each other, and go back to the previous situation.

It's been like this. For almost a year. Argh.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

pseudonordic posted:

When we first took her in, she was all mean and bitey but she slowly got used to us and the biting all but stopped once we took her to the vet. Since then we've had a continuous stream of vet bills due to the vet discovering a broken jaw (!) that lead to several facial abscesses (!) and :siren: an infected tooth root :siren:

No wonder she was all distrustful, sounds like somebody kicked her around really hard :(

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Huh, interesting. Our rabbit won't let him trance him - he's figured out a way to tilt his head just so in order to prevent it, and the times we're able to circumnavigate that he'll start to trance, then freak out and kick, so we've simply opted not to.

However, my boyfriend's old bunny used to -love- trancing. She'd come up to you in the hopes you'd do it, and would chill on a couch upside-down forever, happy to be flipped. They once came home and found that she had flipped over and tranced herself in her cage.

So I guess...it depends on the bunny?

Maybe... maybe your boyfriend's old bunny has a thrillseeking personality?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

DS at Night posted:

No wonder she was all distrustful, sounds like somebody kicked her around really hard :(

She trusts us now, but takes some time getting used to guests in the house. But since the living room has lots of space, she just finds a comfy corner and chills if we have company.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

angelicism posted:

The good and bad news is that I realized I can't get rid of Frith, I adore him almost as much as I love Zen and I think he's realized what's up in the last week or two because he's become extra snuggly.

Maybe my setup is bad?

I have a big "how to bond bunnies" post somewhere way upstream in the thread. I'll try to find time today to review your post history and see how they interact and what your current setup is compared to what I would do, or you can rehash it in a new post for me if you prefer. ;)

In your place, the critical things I would immediately do would be:

1. Make sure they are in a good side-by-side setup where they are effectively living together-but-separate.

2. Give them a month or two off of interactive bonding sessions. Their only contact with one another during this time is through the cage bars.

3. After that, go SLOWLY. Start with dryer rides for a month before moving to interaction.

Also once you work back up to it, I would remove yourself from the interaction area (maybe by perching on a stool) so that Frith is forced to interact with Zen instead of cuddling with you during these times. :)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

pseudonordic posted:

I've just found this thread and I love it!

My wife and I found a bunny in our yard last October and took her in.

Upon deciding to keep her, we got supplies and learned that she was litter trained and very distrusting of us. She would lunge at any hands or feet near her, which led me to believe she may have been abused and abandoned.

Cilantro (so named because it's what she ate the most of when we first got her) has been spayed and unfortunately had to have her top and bottom incisors removed due to the tooth root infection that just wouldn't go away. She's currently doing awesome after a round of Penicillin G. She should be completely healed soon!

When we're both out of the house, Cilantro has the run of the office. When we're both home, we take down the baby gate at the door and she can roam the living room and kitchen as well. She can be found laying in front of the couch, between the sitting chairs (2nd pic) and sometimes on the couch with us.

The House Bunny website has been a god send and my wife and I are probably bunny converts for life. :)

Maybe I have a fondness for black females but she's a beautiful rabbit, very stunning looking. Thanks for taking such good care of her :)

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

alucinor posted:

I have a big "how to bond bunnies" post somewhere way upstream in the thread. I'll try to find time today to review your post history and see how they interact and what your current setup is compared to what I would do, or you can rehash it in a new post for me if you prefer. ;)

In your place, the critical things I would immediately do would be:

1. Make sure they are in a good side-by-side setup where they are effectively living together-but-separate.

2. Give them a month or two off of interactive bonding sessions. Their only contact with one another during this time is through the cage bars.

3. After that, go SLOWLY. Start with dryer rides for a month before moving to interaction.

Also once you work back up to it, I would remove yourself from the interaction area (maybe by perching on a stool) so that Frith is forced to interact with Zen instead of cuddling with you during these times. :)

Thanks much for anything!

I have two 2x3(x2 high) cube setups of the 14.5" cubes sharing a wall. When I first got Frith the sharing a wall was problematic but now they just lie up against the adjoining wall perfectly fine. They're also mirrored, with the litter boxes on the far sides and the food and water bowls just separated by the partition. They get the same toys (currently it's a "flower" of wood and a ball of wood twisted up, an empty tissue box, and a paper towel roll -- things rotate out as they destroy them) and they get swapped between pens every day or other day.

Dates would consist of being in my kitchen (which is, like, MAYBE 10 sq feet but most likely not even) with the entranceway closed off. Again, in the beginning they would fight, now Zen goes off into the far corner because she's sulky that Frith is all up in my lap. I try feeding them both but Zen cannot be bribed by food, and Frith ends up gobbling up everything. (Frith is, incidentally, a lardass that really needs to shed a pound or two. :D ) If I'm not in the dating area, Frith eventually just flops over on the side and takes a snooze.

The annoying part of this is when they get alone playtime in my room, they smell each other and decide to territory mark with poops all around the room, and the occasional pee not in the litter box. Zen was perfectly litter trained before Frith arrived, and I had the shelter's assurance Frith is litter trained (he's fine in his pen) so I'm going to assume it's territorial.

They get into minor scuffles during dates: usually when one approaches the other, attempts to get groomings by sticking their nose down, the other one does the same, and every once in a while it's this really cute yinyang of bunnies attempting to stick their nose under the other. Neither will give in. Sometimes Frith tries to stick his face under Zen's body, which makes her very alarmed and haul off to the other side of the kitchen (a whole, like, foot and a half). And there's the occasional grunting and nipping, which usually ends up with me being bitten as I pull them apart. :(

Neither car nor laundry is viable since I don't have a car and I don't think people at the laundromat would really appreciate my bringing the buns down there. They're actually all right in a box together when I take them in a cab to the vet but I'd rather not take $20 cab rides around town every day to attempt to get them to get along. ;)

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

alucinor posted:

Sounds like the crap they sell as rabbit food at Walmart. At least your shelter feeds food actually marketed to the species in question; one of my shelters recently got a huge donation of hamster food and were feeding that to all the small animals including the parakeets! :xd:

I've seen the stuff they sell at Walmart... this looked like... lintel to me. I don't know it was really odd.

And this little guy can jump like nobody's business. He almost got out of a 3 cube high house earlier.

roxareinmyhead
Oct 25, 2007

pew pew pew pew
Spartacus is trying his best to make sure I can't feed myself...He just hurt himself again! He's away from the other bunnies unless I'm watching him so I know they're not beating him up. But now he has a gash on his groin I just cleaned and bandaged. Now it looks like he's wearing a bunny diaper, but at least he has the e-collar still so he can't mess with it. I'm not sure if I can afford to take care of this bunny...but he's just so drat adorable. Anyone ever have an accident prone bunny? Also, I can't believe that through all of this he has continued to seem very happy. He's one tough bunny.

Edit:

Very sad turn of events. I came home from a movie and went to give Spartacus his antibiotics and noticed swelling and bleeding coming from his groin, both of which weren't present a few hours ago. I rushed him to the SPCA to put him to sleep because I can't afford to take him to the ER again...as much as it hurt it was my only option as he was in dire need of medical attention. I got him there and they told me that they couldn't put him to sleep tonight because he looked happy. But they would have a vet check him out first thing in the morning. I left him some hay and food because I know they probably wouldn't feed him like they should. Even though it's only been a week since I got him, I became very attached to that bunny :( A very sad night.

roxareinmyhead fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 23, 2009

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
So, anyone got any good advice for bunnies who will NOT take their medicine?

Camille's been sneezing. No snot, no other symptoms, just sneezing. Still eats, sleeps, poops and plays normally. I use Yesterday's News litter and a coroplast floor. The vet couldn't figure out why she was sneezing, so she gave me baytril to give to Camille, figuring she had an infection just in her nose. "They like it," she says. "It's cherry flavored."

Bullshit. First of all, it smells like Satan's own diarrhea. Second of all, Camille wouldn't take this stuff if it was life or death. She doesn't like applesauce. I tried mixing it up with baby food bananas, which worked for a while, until she figured that out. Now I can't mix it with anything. I even tried pellet mush, baby carrots, alfalfa leaves, and some sort of baby food called "apple strawberry". I've put treats in it, I've covered it with pellets. I think she's afraid of the smell now. She cowers in her cage when it even gets close to her. I kind of can't blame her. :(

I tried holding her down and squirting it in her mouth yesterday, yes with a towel. I have huge scratches on my arm to show for it. She managed to jerk and get the last few bits of it on her face. (I was afraid that it got in her eye, so I called the e-vet, but he was sure she'd be okay, so.)

I am totally out of ideas. Today I rubbed some on her nose to get her to groom it off, which sort of worked, but I'm not convinced that's going to get enough into her. Does ANYONE have any ideas on how to get this stuff in my bunny?

I never post pictures, and that's a crime. Here's a picture of Camille and Pepper when they were younger, snuggling in the tub. Camille is orange, Pepper is black.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Bean posted:

Camille's been sneezing. No snot, no other symptoms, just sneezing. Still eats, sleeps, poops and plays normally. I use Yesterday's News litter and a coroplast floor. The vet couldn't figure out why she was sneezing, so she gave me baytril to give to Camille, figuring she had an infection just in her nose. "They like it," she says. "It's cherry flavored."

I'm assuming since it's "cherry-flavored" that you got liquid Baytril?

With our rabbit, we were getting purple 22.7 mg pills to give her once a day. The vet said they were flavorless and preferred by anything that wasn't a carnivore. They also make brown colored, liver-flavored ones, which we got once by accident and whoa buddy, Cilantro wouldn't eat one to save her life.

You might want to check and see if they might have accidentally given you the wrong flavor.

roxareinmyhead
Oct 25, 2007

pew pew pew pew

Bean posted:

When Spartacus was on baytril they gave him strawberry flavored. It smelled fine and he liked the taste. Maybe ask for that kind next time? If the odor is the problem, try to think of something with a more powerful smell that she might like.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I know you said you tried a towel, but I'm not totally sure what you mean...try wrapping your bunny up in a towel tightly enough so it can't kick wildly, etc. Not too tight, of course, but that should help keep it from scratching you or something. I honestly can't see how you could get scratched up if you did it that way

Deceptor101
Jul 7, 2007

What fun is a project if it doesn't at least slightly ruin your life?

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro is a great looking bun! Her bone structure and poses really remind me of Ben, do you know what breed she is? I've never known Ben's breed and I've always been curious. Thanks.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Bean posted:

I don't know how anyone can do it with one person. Knowles would take his medicine if I didn't turn him upside down pretty easy, but I still usually had to hold him against my chest or in my lap. A few times I got him to just open up and take it. Our new guy just won't trance at all so he has to be burrito'd but I stopped flipping him because he just fights when I do.

I think with the medicine you're using, you can just mix it with a bit of yogurt and put it in a condiment crock or something and give it to him.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

GoodApollo posted:

I don't know how anyone can do it with one person.

Sometimes, if you're super lucky, you get a magical bunny. I fostered 2 little guys last year and one of them ended up having to take a whole host of medicines for a battle with E Cuniculi. He never fought, even though he was being constantly assaulted with eardrops and syringes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ggmxcb2nOjo

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

We took the rabbits to the vet on Saturday, since Sprout hasn't been there since she got spayed about 6 months ago and Dodger has never been to our vet since we got him in May. I was concerned we might be overfeeding them greens, but the vet did a very thorough exam and said they were two of the healthiest bunnies she's seen in a long time, and that we're doing everything right. Good stuff to hear :) .

On the bonding side, Sprout and Dodger get along much better in the living room, although they really just pass each other and nose each other's butts but that's all. On Saturday night they got into a huge fight spanning the entire living room in a snarling rolling ball of fur, but no injuries, and on Sunday they were just fine. They still won't lie down together and both fight over who grooms who, so we figure at this stage they may just tolerate each other rather than "bond".

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.
These are my bunnies:

They're sisters. The orange one is Fat Butt, and the brown one is Pancake Head (names not of my own choosing). Pancake Head can be a real rear end in a top hat, but Fat Butt is the chillest bunny I've ever known.

She didn't move during any of this:

She also likes licking faces.

roxareinmyhead
Oct 25, 2007

pew pew pew pew
GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! The SPCA called me yesterday saying they didn't put down Spartacus because they needed a vet to look at him first. I told them I couldn't afford a vet bill and they offered to do it for free. So today the SPCA called me again and told me Spartacus was all better! He had an infection in his scrotum after the the ER neutered him because of his accident. But he looks all better and still seems very happy. I'm so relieved to have him back and very grateful to the SPCA for their charity.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
is anyone against me trimming the hair under Paterson's chin? He seems to get very caught up in grooming it and I think it's because there's SO MUCH of it right under his mouth.

you can kind of see the fur in this picture

I just think it would be nice for him to have a bit of a chin... that way he wouldn't spend so much time licking NOTHING.

roxareinmyhead posted:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! The SPCA called me yesterday saying they didn't put down Spartacus because they needed a vet to look at him first. I told them I couldn't afford a vet bill and they offered to do it for free. So today the SPCA called me again and told me Spartacus was all better! He had an infection in his scrotum after the the ER neutered him because of his accident. But he looks all better and still seems very happy. I'm so relieved to have him back and very grateful to the SPCA for their charity.

yay!

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

luscious posted:

is anyone against me trimming the hair under Paterson's chin? He seems to get very caught up in grooming it and I think it's because there's SO MUCH of it right under his mouth.

you can kind of see the fur in this picture

I just think it would be nice for him to have a bit of a chin... that way he wouldn't spend so much time licking NOTHING.

I would not do it by yourself. If you must, have a vet help or do it for you. Rabbits can squirm and thrash in an instant, even if they're totally chill by nature.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah I wouldn't be getting sharp objects anywhere near their face. The head is usually the first thing that moves if they start struggling.

Dr. Octagon posted:

What a beautiful rabbit. What breed is that, do you know?

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.

DS at Night posted:

What a beautiful rabbit. What breed is that, do you know?

Thanks! I'm pretty sure she's a Mini Rex - she's got this velvety soft, very even fur. I got both of them off of Craigslist for $25 when they were babies, so I wasn't really given any clues there.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Does anyone in this thread have experience with cats & rabbits? For a long time, I've really wanted to see if we could bond our rabbit to a cat, so we're trying to get a kitten and start off slowly. We're on the cusp of getting a cat - have all the stuff, just have to find the right kitty. This article has been a good help: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/2-11/cats-and-rabbits.html

However, the one thing I'm worried about is a space issue. The cat will have the run of the house during the day, while bunny will have to stay in his area. The rabbit's area has no top (he doesn't hop out of it) - we're worried that the cat coming in and out of his area all day might be an annoyance, or might give him ideas. Will this cause any behaviour problems with our rabbit? Will he become surly about being confined? We already wake up to him shaking his bars a little (he's a brat - the vet says he's trained us to respond to this behaviour, so we're trying to break him of it), I'm worried that he'll become more rambunctious.

EDIT: I should note that this will be after an adjustment period - we'll be supervising any contact between cat & bunny for a long time and keeping them in separate areas to make sure everything is ok before giving the cat run of the house. We don't want any scratched bunnies or broken bones on kittens from bad situations.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 26, 2009

PumpkinPirate
Sep 2, 2006

I steal pickles for booty...arrrr!!!
I just got off the phone with a vet that spays rabbits. The lady kept going on and on about how it is very hard on rabbits to get the fixed. She said that they can't put breathing tubes in them. Should I be really worried?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I know jack poo poo about how spays are actually done, but they're pretty much essential for pet female rabbits and if the place sounds like they're warning you about it or trying to talk you out of it, I'd go somewhere else

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

PumpkinPirate posted:

I just got off the phone with a vet that spays rabbits. The lady kept going on and on about how it is very hard on rabbits to get the fixed. She said that they can't put breathing tubes in them. Should I be really worried?

Get a new vet. It's not hard on them at all, and they shouldn't have to be intubating them anyhow. My vets do it with isoflourine gas delivered via masks.

PumpkinPirate
Sep 2, 2006

I steal pickles for booty...arrrr!!!

alucinor posted:

Get a new vet. It's not hard on them at all, and they shouldn't have to be intubating them anyhow. My vets do it with isoflourine gas delivered via masks.

Alright, good. It seemed like "yea it is SO dangerous to do this, I hope you are aware of the aftermath", meaning, "Our vet will most likely gently caress this up".

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

StrangersInTheNight posted:

cats & rabbits?

You could always clip a sheet over the top of the buns cage at night. I'd also make sure the bunny has a good hiding place because the cat may scare the living bejesus out of him. Neither of my rabbits had ever seen a cat before and the cat had never seen a bunny before and their curiosity manifested in... strange ways. In general I'd say not to try putting them together at all until they can see each other through the bars and not run like crazy.

My cat is really good friends with both of my bunnies. On a normal week I try to let Issy and Milly play at least once a day. One thing I'll say is about 'bonding'- they will never, ever be friends the way two bunnies or two cats will, but they might make really great playmates.

If you want to ask anything else about my experience feel free to IM me or whatever.

pogo
Nov 14, 2003

England's finest <3
Mrs pogo and I are interested in getting a house bunny or two. We both work regular 9-5 jobs and so are out of the house for about 9 hours at a time.

Our apartment's kitchen is open plan onto the living room, so we wouldn't really want to leave a rabbit or rabbits to cavort around in there completely free. Would it be too much to leave a rabbit/rabbits in an indoor cage all day and then let them loose while we are home to supervise? Or would we better off creating some kind of indoor fence to stop them escaping the kitchen area where there are no hazards such as cabling or expensive furniture for them to destroy/eat.

Thanks!

CatholicSoulTrain
Oct 27, 2006

pogo posted:

Would it be too much to leave a rabbit/rabbits in an indoor cage all day and then let them loose while we are home to supervise?

To be honest, we do this more often than not. Our Milly chews everything she can get a hold of most days, so we keep her in her house during the day, and let her play in the living room with us supervising in the evening/on slower days. It doesn't seem to bother her at all, so long as she gets things to chew on all day and generally keep her busy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

pogo posted:

Our apartment's kitchen is open plan onto the living room, so we wouldn't really want to leave a rabbit or rabbits to cavort around in there completely free. Would it be too much to leave a rabbit/rabbits in an indoor cage all day and then let them loose while we are home to supervise?

Yes, this is fine, as long as your cage is big enough (more a pen than a cage). It would not be sufficient to use a petstore-sized cage with this plan. About 2'x4' is minimally acceptable for a pair, I'd shoot for 4'x4' if possible. A dog x-pen makes a fine cage, as it can be configured to any size between 2'x2' and 4'x4', it's portable, and it ALSO doubles as a fence. :)