Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

niethan posted:

The rear light bulb on my klr is burnt, does this explain why my signal lights have been acting up i.e. flashing quickly sometimes and sometimes not flashing at all, just glowing?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
My buddy's chain slipped "due to having too much slack"...I took one look at the back of his bike and notice he had worn down his sprocket to next to nothing. Every tooth was about half as high as it should have been, VERY shallow indeed. He replaced it two years ago when he changed the number of teeth by 2, but how on earth does it wear out in two years? I'll hopefully post pics of it tonight, as I convinced him he needed a new one.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

UserNotFound posted:

My buddy's chain slipped "due to having too much slack"...I took one look at the back of his bike and notice he had worn down his sprocket to next to nothing. Every tooth was about half as high as it should have been, VERY shallow indeed. He replaced it two years ago when he changed the number of teeth by 2, but how on earth does it wear out in two years? I'll hopefully post pics of it tonight, as I convinced him he needed a new one.

Lack of preventive maintenance.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

Can anyone point me to any resources that talk about how sport bikes work? I grew up around cruisers and generally know how those work (though I've never ridden one, myself), and lately I've been wanting to buy a sport bike simply because I'm in awe of them. I'm not interested in looking cool or going fast as much as I am learning about it and feeling how it works. I look at virtually any sport bike and I'm in awe of the engineering and precision that goes into it. I definitely respect the bike a good deal, but if anyone has any source for helping me learn more about how sport bikes specifically work, I'd be much appreciative, and obviously better knowledgeable once I actually start riding.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nasam posted:

Can anyone point me to any resources that talk about how sport bikes work? I grew up around cruisers and generally know how those work (though I've never ridden one, myself), and lately I've been wanting to buy a sport bike simply because I'm in awe of them. I'm not interested in looking cool or going fast as much as I am learning about it and feeling how it works. I look at virtually any sport bike and I'm in awe of the engineering and precision that goes into it. I definitely respect the bike a good deal, but if anyone has any source for helping me learn more about how sport bikes specifically work, I'd be much appreciative, and obviously better knowledgeable once I actually start riding.

Define "how they work"?

It's a motorcycle. There's nothing super special about any of the modern bikes from the big 4, they're just EFI 4 cylinder 600cc/1000cc motorcycles. They've got higher quality suspension components, more aggressive geometry than standards/cruisers, and use the lightest stuff possible to keep weight down, but besides that, it's just a motorcycle.

The thing about motorcycle engineering is that it's not a precise art. There's not one setup or geometry that works best for a given rider in any given situation, it's very much a matter of compromise. Prefered suspension valving, weight distribution, engine power characteristics, etc, can and will end up being very different between riders as they prefer different handling characteristics in their motorcycles.

If you're looking for stuff that talks about MotoGP bikes, which do actually run some crazy poo poo as far as bikes go, I really enjoyed MotoGP Technology, and if you're looking at more about how the rider works with the bike, I really liked Performance Riding Techniques: The MotoGP manual of track riding skills. These books won't really teach you anything about riding one, but they will cover a lot of the technical theory behind riding. Also note that it doesn't really matter how much technical theory you read or understand, it's not going to make you a better rider, and unless you jump to some incorrect conclusion, it's not going to make you a worse rider either. Understanding the technical details of your bike doesn't help you ride any safer or faster.

Modern supersports are still pretty simple, all told. The differences in sportbikes at this point are mostly in seating position. Any non-track/average rider would be hard pressed to tell bikes apart if they were riding them without actually knowing what they were on.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 25, 2009

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Nasam posted:

learn more about how sport bikes specifically work

Like humans and big apes, it's 99% the same. All the controls are exactly the same. The bikes fuel injection systems are the same. Engines can be different, but since you asked a question that broad all you care about really is the configuration, displacement, and number of cylinders and any more talk of technology wouldn't do you much good.

Essentially whats "different" comes down to rider configuration, materials the bike is made of, and the positioning of the wheels and the suspension to increase movement output to rider input.

So sportbikes are light, have a more centralized mass and you'll notice the front wheel is closer to the bike frame than it is on a cruiser.

Now, I know someone is going to come in here, quote my post and try to pick it to pieces, but really, thats all you're going to care about.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Blaster of Justice posted:

No.

What reasons can there be for that sort of signal light faggotry?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

niethan posted:

What reasons can there be for that sort of signal light faggotry?

Relay's probably burning out.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
Not sure if this belongs here or in the gear thread but here it will be.

Has anyone tried the moto cinch tiedown system from these guys?

http://www.motocinch.com/

They look neat as hell but I question if they really work as well as they say. I've got a garage full of junk that looked neat but ended up not being and don't need more.

Watommi
Dec 17, 2004

I am all that is man.

Watommi posted:

I've got a bike I need to sell and I've been very lazy about it. I let the insurance expire, and so the DMV suspended my registration. It was due this month, so the tag itself says it's ok thru the end of the month. Do I have to get it legal again to sell it, or just hope anyone who test rides it doesn't hit anyone or get pulled over? I'm in California.

Anyone? Is this a stupid question?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
It's a question for the DMV.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Watommi posted:

Anyone? Is this a stupid question?

Since the bike isn't insured, you'd better hope that there are no accidents on a test ride. AFAIK, there's no law that prohibits you from selling a bike that isn't up-to-date with registration/insurance/inspection, though.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
I bought my bike in CA with the registration over due(I think by two years). The only problem with that, is the buyer will have to pay the DMV fees in order to register it under their name. Cost me $160.

You also don't need insurance to sell a bike, but if they get pulled over or kill someone on a test ride...Well, you know what will happen.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Hahah, wow. So I hooked up a multimeter to my bike and tested the battery while it was off and got a reading of 15V or so. (poo poo.)

Fired it up, let it idle for a while and then tested it again warmed up and its at 18.5V. (what)

Revved it to 5K and its at 19V. (WHAT)

The obvious culprit is the voltage regulator. Before I go and buy a new one, anything I should check beforehand? I put my hand on it after i turned off the bike and it was extremely hot, if that means anything.

:sigh:

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Hahah, wow. So I hooked up a multimeter to my bike and tested the battery while it was off and got a reading of 15V or so. (poo poo.)

Fired it up, let it idle for a while and then tested it again warmed up and its at 18.5V. (what)

Revved it to 5K and its at 19V. (WHAT)

The obvious culprit is the voltage regulator. Before I go and buy a new one, anything I should check beforehand? I put my hand on it after i turned off the bike and it was extremely hot, if that means anything.

:sigh:

Actually, if your MM is reading 15V on a resting battery the calibration is off. A charged 12v lead acid battery should read closer to 13.2.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Taelrin posted:

They look neat as hell but I question if they really work as well as they say. I've got a garage full of junk that looked neat but ended up not being and don't need more.

I've never had trouble with good buckle style tiedowns. If you need to tiedown a sportbike, use a canyon dancer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Taelrin posted:

Those might be a good investment if you didnt already have tiedowns and whatnot. I cant imagine many people here fall into that category though.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Lord Zuthulu posted:

Is it just me or are aftermarket pipes overpriced? When I get the bike I want in a year or two I'd like to get this nice set of Zards. The thing is they're $1200! For slip-ons! Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it just a tube, some holes drilled in it, wrapped with insulation and put in a can? I know they've got to make a profit but this seems like a big markup. Tell me there's more to it than that.

No, not really. Making good exhausts takes some serious craftsmanship and flow calculations not to mention actual testing, and the marked is relatively small.

Taelrin posted:

They look pretty interesting.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Before I go and buy a new one, anything I should check beforehand?

The batteries in your multimeter.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

obso posted:

The batteries in your multimeter.

Haha, funny you say that. I borrowed it from a friend and it had a battery icon in the corner, I assumed that meant it was on. Would that be cause for inaccurate readings? I tried it again this morning and watched the voltage slowly climb higher and higher until the voltage reported while idling was at 20V. Weird.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
These are about the burliest tiedowns I've seen out there:
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/product/MOTOSPORT-TIEDOWNS-BLACK-CLIP/?catalogId=114895

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

n8r posted:

These are about the burliest tiedowns I've seen out there:
http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/product/MOTOSPORT-TIEDOWNS-BLACK-CLIP/?catalogId=114895

And you can buy 12 of them for the cost of one pair of motocinches.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My virago's clutch is slipping under heavy acceleration (and when I try to pass on the freeway - revs up to about 5500-6000 and then the bike catches up). Is there anything I can do other than replace the clutch? I already adjusted correctly accoring to the clymer.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ok, I know I mentioned this before but now I'm setting my road trip in stone. Maintenance on the bike is all good. I'll be taking a backpack with some chain lube, changes of clothes, and I'll probably bungy it to the rear seat. Not sure, though. Since I do have an undertail exhaust. I'll figure something out.

I know the days are weird but I don't have much time and I just realized next weekend is labor day weekend.

I'll probably leave Sunday late afternoon or so. Drive to LA is only an hour.

Los Angeles - 1 night
Santa Barbara and or San Luis Obispo - 1 night
Fresno - A bit out of the way but have a friend here. Possibly 1 night or not at all.
San Fransisco - 2 nights.
Lake Tahoe?? - 1 night?

I might couchsurf here and there. Have some friends in some of the places. I don't have much on time restraints but I don't think riding on the Friday-Sunday of labor day weekend is a good idea.

Anything I'm missing? I'll be taking PCH most the way. I'll be on a 2001 GSXR

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
No. You need to either adjust or replace your clutch. It's an expensive task and hugely time consuming. Clutch fibers for your bike will cost $30 or so, and it will take two-three hours to do if it's your first time. I think I could do a gs clutch in twenty minutes.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Bike burning out headlight bulbs and multimeter bullshit.

Ok, so I threw in a fresh set of batteries and I'm getting normal looking numbers now.

OFF Sits at around 13.1 to 13.2V which is good.
However, starting it up and letting it idle for about 3 mins gives me 17 Volts.
Rolling onto the throttle to 5K RPMS gives me 18, so something is up.

I haven't traced any wires to see if there's any issues with shorts or exposed wire yet, but the fact that I'm getting 18 volts under load makes me think its probably just the voltage regulator right out. Confirm/Deny?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Sounds a lot like a voltage regulator to me. Light bulbs are great for that because they're like in a canary a mineshaft for potentially wire melting electrical problems.

8ender fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 27, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nerobro posted:

No. You need to either adjust or replace your clutch. It's an expensive task and hugely time consuming. Clutch fibers for your bike will cost $30 or so, and it will take two-three hours to do if it's your first time. I think I could do a gs clutch in twenty minutes.

I think you mean it's NOT an expensive task or hugely time consuming.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
^^ Is there a :woosh: emote?

Serious question: How the hell do I sell my race bike in short order? I've got it priced about a grand below what I actually want. Should I just put it in storage and see if my family can sell it while I'm gone? :sigh:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

^^ Is there a :woosh: emote?

Serious question: How the hell do I sell my race bike in short order? I've got it priced about a grand below what I actually want. Should I just put it in storage and see if my family can sell it while I'm gone? :sigh:

Yup. The bike market for race/trackbikes is pretty limited. What are you asking?

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
w00t w00t. I feel so drat proud. This is in followup to the previous questions about my friend's R/R.

We transplated the battery from my bike into his and cranked away. Starter was fine, but it refused to start. Turns out that the vacuum hose from the crankcase to the petcock at come off at some point, probably during the intial attempt to bump start the bike. I credit tek for her thread giving me that knowledge.

Tried to do some trouble shooting with the bike running and testing the R/R and stator voltages and resistances.

Seems that there's an infinite resistance between the stator wires and the frame, but about 3 Ohms between the stator wires themselves. Which is odd as the troubleshooting manual we were following said they ought to be 0.5 to 2 (I think). Oh, and the stator wires had a whole 10 volts AC between them when the bike was revved. Bad news was that the needle didn't even flicker when measuring across the battery, no matter how much it was revved.

Oh well, we've got an electrician friend coming over to have a poke, but I'm assuming the stator is gone (we think the R/R was fine, apart from some values slightly outside the guide's values, it seemed to check out).

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Z3n: $CAD2000 for an 02 GSX-R600 with a bunch of take-offs and a set of stands. I figure at that price, it'd be worth it even just for parting it out.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Orange Someone posted:

w00t w00t. I feel so drat proud. This is in followup to the previous questions about my friend's R/R.

We transplated the battery from my bike into his and cranked away. Starter was fine, but it refused to start. Turns out that the vacuum hose from the crankcase to the petcock at come off at some point, probably during the intial attempt to bump start the bike. I credit tek for her thread giving me that knowledge.

Tried to do some trouble shooting with the bike running and testing the R/R and stator voltages and resistances.

Seems that there's an infinite resistance between the stator wires and the frame, but about 3 Ohms between the stator wires themselves. Which is odd as the troubleshooting manual we were following said they ought to be 0.5 to 2 (I think). Oh, and the stator wires had a whole 10 volts AC between them when the bike was revved. Bad news was that the needle didn't even flicker when measuring across the battery, no matter how much it was revved.

Oh well, we've got an electrician friend coming over to have a poke, but I'm assuming the stator is gone (we think the R/R was fine, apart from some values slightly outside the guide's values, it seemed to check out).

Replace one piece at a time, there's really not much sense in checking R/Rs as I've seen ones that should work according the testing fail completely under use. Stator and check again, and that's probably all you'll have to do.

Simkin, that is a good deal. The market's just really poo poo now :( Does it have a plate and title?

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?
Does anybody know if it's legal to drive a motorcycle in Alaska with an Ontario M2 driver's license? I'm hoping to ride to Anchorage next summer but I'm not eligible for my full M until October 2010. If not I'll have to just stick to the North West Territories, but that would be a shame.

I've sent a message to the Alaska DMV but haven't gotten a response yet. I thought maybe someone here may have already run into this.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Alaska does not have graduating licensing, as long as M stands for motorcycle you won't have any problems.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
My sidestand is all hosed up. It goes way too far forward so the big leans wayyy over. it wasnt like that when i parked it last week (havent had time to ride in ages). I artificially set it a little higher. But I'm not sure what to do next. are kick stands easy to fix?

Could it have been bent?

Rarg

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
ATTN MrZig:

I got the F16 windshield and mounted it today. Its a really simple mounting system and you shouldn't have any problem. In the pictures I have it mounted over the fork ears but I later redid the mounting to have the windshield in between the ears and the bucket. Total cost was $100 CAD.

I think it looks sexy

I got sick of the saddlebags so KZ is now also sporting a handsome luggage rack for the ride into work

riders perspective

No word on how well it stops wind because it started storming as soon as I finished. :mad:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Mr. DNA posted:

Does anybody know if it's legal to drive a motorcycle in Alaska with an Ontario M2 driver's license? I'm hoping to ride to Anchorage next summer but I'm not eligible for my full M until October 2010. If not I'll have to just stick to the North West Territories, but that would be a shame.
You shouldn't have any problems with it, it's not like you're trying it on an M1. :)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

BlueBayou posted:

My sidestand is all hosed up. It goes way too far forward so the big leans wayyy over. it wasnt like that when i parked it last week (havent had time to ride in ages). I artificially set it a little higher. But I'm not sure what to do next. are kick stands easy to fix?

Could it have been bent?

Rarg

Is it the stock sidestand? Perhaps one of the bolts on the mounting bracket is loose or something?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Image:Center_side_stands.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

sirbeefalot posted:

Is it the stock sidestand? Perhaps one of the bolts on the mounting bracket is loose or something?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Image:Center_side_stands.jpg

Dang. Based on that diagram and looking at it this morning in the light, its definitely bent. How does that happen? I havent touched it!?

So I guess I should order a new sidestand and try to install it.

edit: $89 for a new sidestand!?!? looks like ole Indy is going to have to deal with it for a while.

How wonky is it for me to park my bike on the centerstand if I'm not on a hill? or a just a gentle slope?

BlueBayou fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 29, 2009