Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

8ender posted:

I think it looks sexy

DAMMIT, I wish I had the balls to strip and repaint the Bandit, I am in love with that green you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

BlueBayou posted:

How wonky is it for me to park my bike on the centerstand if I'm not on a hill? or a just a gentle slope?

Always use your centerstand. Take this advise from a random guy that's invested more than $2K in various plastic parts and the wind. It's really no trouble at all to use your centerstand, and if you think it's hard to do, you're doing something wrong. My heaviest bike is a Honda CBX 1000, weighting in at about 600 lbs wet. I have no trouble using the centerstand and I'm not that big - around 160 lbs.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I always used to use the sidestand on my old bike, mainly because it didn't have a centrestand. Then I got my new bike and, wham, new thing. So I used the centrestand. Then the bike fell over after the tarmac beneath one side disintegrated when I was at a job. I was bitching about it in here and someone said that the sidestand was actually more stable. So now I use that.

I'm confused now.

To be honest, if I had to guess, the sidestand being more stable makes sense, the distance between the sidestand and the wheels is longer than the width of the centrestand.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I have no trouble getting my bike on my centerstand, I'm just worried about stability

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
side stand is more stable unless it's bent! i'm sure you could find a used one on ebay for nice and cheap. don't get an $89 new one. ought to be easy to install if you have a couple wrenches.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

side stand is more stable unless it's bent!

You must be joking.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Blaster of Justice posted:

Always use your centerstand. Take this advise from a random guy that's invested more than $2K in various plastic parts and the wind. It's really no trouble at all to use your centerstand, and if you think it's hard to do, you're doing something wrong. My heaviest bike is a Honda CBX 1000, weighting in at about 600 lbs wet. I have no trouble using the centerstand and I'm not that big - around 160 lbs.

This is so true. Too many riders put a foot behind the centerstand and try to haul the bike backwards, this results in frustration and failure. Steady the bike, put your foot on the little extension and bear down hard with your foot, the centerstand will lever the bike up and in place like magic. I've seen BMW riders do it while still seated and I could sometimes do it on my old K75.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzcNoWphFdU

Gnomad fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 29, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

side stand is more stable unless it's bent! i'm sure you could find a used one on ebay for nice and cheap. don't get an $89 new one. ought to be easy to install if you have a couple wrenches.

http://forums.ninja250.org/viewtopic.php?p=772121#772121

$25 plus shipping. Hurray!

EDIT:No relation, just the first one I found on ninja250.org

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 29, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

You must be joking.
width from side stand tip to wheels is wider than width of center stand, so more stable. unless it's an inch long side stand like on my ninja.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Stupid bike question. What do you guys do about helmet hair. When its chilly i can wear somthing with a hood under my jaket and helmet with the hood up. Works allright. Just wondering if some other people have done anything to prevent this.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

What does it mean if my bike is backfiring? It's a Rebel 250 -- doesn't like to start unless I give it full choke. I put a new battery, some fresh gas, and fresh oil in the bike and road it yesterday and just now today. After about 5 minutes of moderate (for this bike) riding, I closed the choke, but I came to a stop sign and the bike stalled at idle. It started right back up again after I opened the choke. I ran it for another 10 minutes or so and then it started to backfire (after throttling down for a turn and then rolling back on the throttle, I could hear a distinctive "pop" that was reproducible). I closed the choke completely and then the bike did not backfire again for the entire rest of the ride. It also had no problem idling with the choke fully closed.

I've heard that Honda bikes (especially the Rebel) can be pretty "cold-blooded". Is this just a case of needing to run the bike with the choke open for like 10-15 minutes and then closing it? Is this abnormally lovely? Do you think it would be a good idea to clean the carb? Anything else to check/replace?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Phat_Albert posted:

DAMMIT, I wish I had the balls to strip and repaint the Bandit, I am in love with that green you have.

Funny thing is that it's not a very remarkable color on the ford suv it's made for. Looks great on a bike though.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

philkop posted:

Stupid bike question. What do you guys do about helmet hair. When its chilly i can wear somthing with a hood under my jaket and helmet with the hood up. Works allright. Just wondering if some other people have done anything to prevent this.

You can get a head wrap or something like this to cut it down a bit. Or, bring gel (or whatever) and touch up when you get where you need to be. I also tend to cut my hair shorter and more often in the summer, which helps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Or just not have hair like me!

:(

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I have this and it works fantastically. But I also have short hair, so that might have something to do with it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

philkop posted:

Shave it off. Slapheads unite.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Un-l337-Pork posted:

:words: about Rebel taking awhile to warm up.

Sound fairly normal, for an air cooled bike that's been sitting for awhile. Run it for awhile and see if it requires less time before you can back off the choke. If it stays at around 15 minutes (which is too long if the bike is in good shape), then you should pull the carbs and clean everything out and it should warm up faster.

Orange Someone posted:

I always used to use the sidestand on my old bike, mainly because it didn't have a centrestand. Then I got my new bike and, wham, new thing. So I used the centrestand. Then the bike fell over after the tarmac beneath one side disintegrated when I was at a job. I was bitching about it in here and someone said that the sidestand was actually more stable. So now I use that.

I'm confused now.

To be honest, if I had to guess, the sidestand being more stable makes sense, the distance between the sidestand and the wheels is longer than the width of the centrestand.

Blaster is, as usual, making huge sweeping generalizations and assumptions and is confusing people/looking like an idiot.

If you're on a steep hill parking correctly (rear wheel against the curb, with the sidestand on the low side of the hill), you don't want to put it on the centerstand, as it's really easy for it to fall over. If you're worried about it rolling, just leave it in gear. If you're parking on the side of the street where the kickstand is going to be on the high side, angle the bike diagonally so that you can still get enough lean on it to stay stable, and back it up against the curb so that it can't roll. If you do it right, it's almost impossible for it to tip over. Really, REALLY high wind plus a cover could potentially cause the bike to fall over, but if that's the case you're gonna need to secure the bike somehow anyways.

If the wind knocked the bike over, he either didn't park it on the sidestand properly, or didn't secure it properly. The only times I've ever had a bike roll off the sidestand is when I was an idiot and parked my 929 nose downhill to help someone who had crashed. If I had just left it in gear, it would have been fine, but I was more concerned with the rider down and just didn't think about it.

There's no one answer to if the centerstand or sidestand is better, it depends on the situation and the bike. You also have to watch out if you're parking it on hot asphalt or muddy ground because either stand can dig in and potentially cause the bike to tip over. The prefered solution in hot weather on asphalt is a can or something under the sidestand, as you've got the weight distributed over more ground that way. Some bikes have kickstands that allow the bike to lean a very comfortable amount, some keep it almost upright. You need to look at the situation and use your judgement, not just mindlessly toss it up on the stand and walk away.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 30, 2009

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
So Im probably okay just using the centerstand until I have free time to put in a new sidestand?

So whats the consensus on me artificially setting my sidestand so its in the proper position? Thats what my bike is doing right now and its been fine for the last day or so.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlueBayou posted:

So Im probably okay just using the centerstand until I have free time to put in a new sidestand?

So whats the consensus on me artificially setting my sidestand so its in the proper position? Thats what my bike is doing right now and its been fine for the last day or so.

What broke with the sidestand? And yes, after my long rear end diatribe, you're fine putting it on the centerstand as long as it's not windy and you're not on a serious incline.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

Z3n posted:

What broke with the sidestand? And yes, after my long rear end diatribe, you're fine putting it on the centerstand as long as it's not windy and you're not on a serious incline.

I have no idea how it bent, but it bent. It still works... mostly.

Am guessing somebody backed into the bike lightly and the stand took the brunt of the impact.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

philkop posted:

Stupid bike question. What do you guys do about helmet hair.

We're all bald.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

We're all bald.

I got a bandanna from walmart for a dollar, and it works pretty well. I mostly just use it for keeping my headphones in while i'm getting my helmet on. But it's a cheaper option than getting one of those fancy skullcaps. May not work as well, but poo poo, it's a dollar.

Also seconding (thirding, fourthing?) getting a buzz cut. I've had a buzz cut since I was 5 so its not all that unusual to me. I'm thinking of getting a number 1 cut this time.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I buzz my head with no attachment on the clippers and still get a couple funny ridges on top when I take the helmet off. Baldness is really the only way to fly I guess. :v:

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

sirbeefalot posted:

I buzz my head with no attachment on the clippers and still get a couple funny ridges on top when I take the helmet off. Baldness is really the only way to fly I guess. :v:

Haha maybe some weird cow-licks? I know i've got one in the back the makes me look like a loving hawk when it's long...

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

philkop posted:

My helmet hair looks even cooler than my regular hair. You should stop having uncool hair. :colbert:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Methusulah posted:

Haha maybe some weird cow-licks? I know i've got one in the back the makes me look like a loving hawk when it's long...

I've got a goofy rear end swirl right up front, but the top is all straight when its that short. The padding squashes the hair down in spots, leaving me with these little ridges that you can't really see, but you can feel them if you run your hand over them.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

sirbeefalot posted:

I've got a goofy rear end swirl right up front, but the top is all straight when its that short. The padding squashes the hair down in spots, leaving me with these little ridges that you can't really see, but you can feel them if you run your hand over them.

My hair is pretty much the same way; even with a buzz cut I have indentations where the pads grab my head.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I just carry a hat.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

sirbeefalot posted:

Buzzing with no attachment is standard. It's a great way to finance your tire, chain and sprocket budget. That aside, I still wear a helmet hood for comfort. They're quite cheap. Helmet hoods can also make you look badass and really impress your mother-in-law: http://dbgearonline.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=44

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I just stopped caring. My hair's short or long or I've got helmet hair...doesn't make a difference to me.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

blugu64 posted:

I just carry a hat.

There's always a hat in my tank bag.

For work I carry a brush and some hair product.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Hey, aspiring new rider here(already ride a scooter daily.) Just a general motorcycle question. I hope to someday race for fun. I want to eventually get a street triple. I was wondering what the different kinds of motorcycle racing were. I'm not so much into the left turns around and around circle style gp racing.

Wondering if there was a more technical style of racing. Not so much supermoto allthough it is a little closer to what I mean. Just lots of hard acceleration, slowing down, lots of corning in either direction. Not necessarily high speed, but very quick and agile kind of riding. Sort of like what group b rallies are for cars, just less dirt. I so much want to say street racing, but I don't want to sound like (or ever be) one of those shirtless douchbags speeding though redlights and cutting people off with nothing but a backwards Yankees hat (theyv never even been to new york mind you.) for protection.

Keep in mind this is a very long term goal of mine, I know I'm nowhere near experienced, but it would be nice if this was a set style i could look into and watch youtube videos all day long of. :)

Also a run down of the basic styles of motorcycle racing would be helpful in case anyone else wanted to know. Thanks

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

philkop posted:

Wondering if there was a more technical style of racing. Not so much supermoto allthough it is a little closer to what I mean. Just lots of hard acceleration, slowing down, lots of corning in either direction. Not necessarily high speed, but very quick and agile kind of riding.

That is what we in the know call "regular motorcycle racing."

Good luck finding a track day on an oval track.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_racing

edit2: What I meant was "You are exceedingly unlikely to find a track day at an oval track." Almost all amateur sportbike racing happens at twisty tracks.

MrKatharsis fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 1, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

philkop posted:

Hey, aspiring new rider here(already ride a scooter daily.) Just a general motorcycle question. I hope to someday race for fun. I want to eventually get a street triple. I was wondering what the different kinds of motorcycle racing were. I'm not so much into the left turns around and around circle style gp racing.

Wondering if there was a more technical style of racing. Not so much supermoto allthough it is a little closer to what I mean. Just lots of hard acceleration, slowing down, lots of corning in either direction. Not necessarily high speed, but very quick and agile kind of riding. Sort of like what group b rallies are for cars, just less dirt. I so much want to say street racing, but I don't want to sound like (or ever be) one of those shirtless douchbags speeding though redlights and cutting people off with nothing but a backwards Yankees hat (theyv never even been to new york mind you.) for protection.

Keep in mind this is a very long term goal of mine, I know I'm nowhere near experienced, but it would be nice if this was a set style i could look into and watch youtube videos all day long of. :)

Also a run down of the basic styles of motorcycle racing would be helpful in case anyone else wanted to know. Thanks

Every form of motorcycle racing has it's own technique and style about it. I'd say that supermoto requires the widest range of skills, from riding with (near) slicks on dirt to hauling rear end in wide open high speed asphalt corners (on some tracks). Plus it's relatively cheap, as racing goes.

I race streetbikes, and supermoto is in my future in some form, I just don't know what yet. I know that I'd get a lot out of riding a sumo bike, getting used to really sliding it around and getting the bike out of shape.

As to basic styles, go watch On Any Sunday on Hulu. It covers it better than I ever could.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

MrKatharsis posted:

That is what we in the know call "regular motorcycle racing."

Good luck finding a track day on an oval track.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_racing

You know what I meant >> and yeah checked the wiki before posting. But none of them seem to be what I have in mind. I guess I was thinking of some strange combination of them.

And I dont get what you meant about oval track. Where you being sarcastic. Oval track is exactly what im not looking for, and i assumed that was the "regular motorcycle racing"

philkop fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 1, 2009

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga
Odd carb/idle issue. Changing my idle mixture screw doesn't effect the idle, and the choke doesn't actually raise the RPMs until the bike has been running for a few minutes and is prompted to do so. The carbs were just cleaned, intake boots replaced and the bike is otherwise running pretty well. Possibly a weak battery?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

RichBomb posted:

Odd carb/idle issue. Changing my idle mixture screw doesn't effect the idle, and the choke doesn't actually raise the RPMs until the bike has been running for a few minutes and is prompted to do so. The carbs were just cleaned, intake boots replaced and the bike is otherwise running pretty well. Possibly a weak battery?

The idle mixture screw, or the idle adjuster?

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
I was prepping my old Ninja 250 for sale, and I spilled gasoline all over it trying to fill it from a gas can. I think I got most of the gasoline off with water from the garden hose, but just to confirm, I'll need to clean it/wax it again to be sure, right?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

RichBomb posted:

My 77 KZ650 does this as well. I'm at a loss at this point as to what's causing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga

Z3n posted:

The idle mixture screw, or the idle adjuster?

Idle adjuster, the hand turnable one. I don't know if it's worthy of note, but the idle mixture screws on my bike don't sit flush with one another. They both turn to a stop but on is clearly not in there as far as the other at full stop. GS500E with Mikuni carbs btw.

Edit, I just installed a new throttle cable and before my 1,500 mi trip it was almost too tight to give any throttle play what so ever. I'll get that fixed up as well but I doubt it has much to do with it.