Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Intergalactic proton-powered electrical tentacled REFRIGERATOR OF DOOM.

Ragnar Danneskjold posted:

This one is a lot cheaper :ssh:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Wave-Infrared-Remote-For-PS3/dp/B0018MEBFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250470385&sr=1-1

(And yes it does work, I use it with mine.)

The Logitech one works by pretending to be an official Sony PS3 bluetooth remote. That explains why it's pricey. But for the money, it gets some features that the Nyko lacks:

-Can turn the PS3 on & off
-Doesn't have to be removed when you're gaming.

'Course, whether that's $40 worth of extra convenience is up for debate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I don't have to remove my Nyko when gaming.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

I don't have to remove my Nyko when gaming.

Hm. Just parroting what I've heard, which is that the USB fobs take over controller port #1. Perhaps this is not something that applies to the Nyko?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Ragnar Danneskjold posted:

This one is a lot cheaper :ssh:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Wave-Infrared-Remote-For-PS3/dp/B0018MEBFY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1250470385&sr=1-1

(And yes it does work, I use it with mine.)

wait, it works with the harmony's? rad.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

fahrvergnugen posted:

Hm. Just parroting what I've heard, which is that the USB fobs take over controller port #1. Perhaps this is not something that applies to the Nyko?

It absolutely does take over port 1 and there are a select few games that refuse to work unless your controller is port 1. The Nyko only supports a fraction of the commands that the Logitech does too. The only advantage it has is that it is cheaper.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Brand new Sony KDL40S5100 40" 1080p LCD (looks a lot bigger in person)
Really old Yamaha NS-A600 140w 3-way speakers with new 12" woofers.
Really old Aiwa 5.1 Surround Receiver
Original Xbox
HD DVR
Free TV stand

I use my HDMI-out on my PC for almost everything besides TV and Xbox. Someday I will get a nice receiver, but I don't see much point having one in an apartment. Next on my list is a TV stand.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

chuck2020 posted:

Specs:
tv - 52" Sony Bravia
receiver - Denon AVR-2310CI

Thoughts/suggestions?

Move the TV down to a normal height. Your neck will thank you and your guests will thank you. While it looks nice, it's not practical.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

chuck2020 posted:

Thoughts/suggestions?

Use lacing bars.

edit - Oh an AV company did that for you. I'm sorry.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Aug 18, 2009

chuck2020
Jan 14, 2007

fahrvergnugen posted:

Very nice! I'm thinking of doing something similar next year. How is the heat / airflow in the closet where the components exhaust?

It's actually pretty good. The rack provides plenty of space behind the components, so it stays at a pretty good temperature.

Mako posted:

Looks quite nice. I may be the only one with this feeling but the equipment rack on a main wall in the living room is a bit unseemly considering the fit and finish of the rest of the room. Thankfully, i think this could be easily remedied with a simple frosted glass door over it.

I have frosted glass doors on my entertainment center and even IR remotes have no trouble penetrating the glass to the components.

Beyond that if you don't have a logitech harmony one (with ps3 adapter) remote i would suggest getting one immediately :)

The original plan when the contractor came over was to place a door over the rack. What we failed to consider, however, was the volume knob on the receiver. It was going to make the door stick our 3" from the wall. I decided leaving it as-is was a compromise I could live with (along with $200 knocked off our bill). And we do rock the Harmony 1000 remote; it makes operating it great. The receiver has TWO remotes by itself, so the Harmony is a must-have.

Uziel posted:

Have you done much TV watching there yet? How high is your mantle? I'm contemplating something very similar but aren't entirely sure about the whole TV above the fireplace thing.

We watch a ton of TV. It's a little over 5' from the floor to the bottom of the screen. I know a few of you have said it's too high and we'll have neck pain, but it's seriously not a problem. Our living room is long, and it's 15" from the TV to the couch, so we're far enough back that we're not staring up at the screen.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

chuck2020 posted:

It's actually pretty good. The rack provides plenty of space behind the components, so it stays at a pretty good temperature.

The original plan when the contractor came over was to place a door over the rack. What we failed to consider, however, was the volume knob on the receiver. It was going to make the door stick our 3" from the wall. I decided leaving it as-is was a compromise I could live with (along with $200 knocked off our bill). And we do rock the Harmony 1000 remote; it makes operating it great. The receiver has TWO remotes by itself, so the Harmony is a must-have.

We watch a ton of TV. It's a little over 5' from the floor to the bottom of the screen. I know a few of you have said it's too high and we'll have neck pain, but it's seriously not a problem. Our living room is long, and it's 15" from the TV to the couch, so we're far enough back that we're not staring up at the screen.

Thanks for all the input and suggestions!

15' away? supersize that bitch to 65" :q:

Hannah Banana
Jul 16, 2009

Let me show you the REAL New Deal

fahrvergnugen posted:

The Logitech one works by pretending to be an official Sony PS3 bluetooth remote. That explains why it's pricey. But for the money, it gets some features that the Nyko lacks:

-Can turn the PS3 on & off
-Doesn't have to be removed when you're gaming.

'Course, whether that's $40 worth of extra convenience is up for debate.

I am a cheapskate, for $40 dollars I can handle turning my PS3 off manually. I will admit that there is a little lag, but again it's a nice and cheap solution, and it allows you to use a single remote, which is the main reason I like it.

It also works from the 2nd USB port, I have never tried it in ports 3 or 4 though. I also never remove it when I am playing games, it doesn't seem to make any difference if you leave it plugged in.

wheezy360
Mar 8, 2006

Click here for the full 1068x1600 image.

LG 50PQ30 50" 720p plasma
Pioneer VSX-918V Receiver
HTPC, NMEDIA 5000-B case
XBMC with the Aeon skin

I guess plasma doesn't like getting its photo taken. Looks much better in person.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Swapped out my display this weekend. Mostly just loving around trying to figure out how to use the manual mode on my camera. Top pic is rope lighting, bottom is lamps. Room was very dark hence the grainy pics.

Yes the granite coffee table is shiny and I put a cover on it when I do any "serious" movie watching.

Runco CW-61

Click here for the full 1379x1050 image.

Click here for the full 1277x1050 image.

fahrvergnugen
Nov 27, 2003

Legdiian posted:

Swapped out my display this weekend. Mostly just loving around trying to figure out how to use the manual mode on my camera. Top pic is rope lighting, bottom is lamps. Room was very dark hence the grainy pics.

Yes the granite coffee table is shiny and I put a cover on it when I do any "serious" movie watching.

Runco CW-61

This is a nice setup and I don't mean this as mockery, but when I look at those photos it feels like I'm looking at Patrick Bateman's house. It's got a very high-end 80s thing going on.

para
Nov 30, 2006

I really like this setup, it's very clean. Do you remember where you got the coffee table?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

fahrvergnugen posted:

when I look at those photos it feels like I'm looking at Patrick Bateman's house. It's got a very high-end 80s thing going on.

Compliment accepted.

I got the table at "Bob's Furniture" They are a discount furniture place. I think they only have a few stores up here in New England. They sell a lot of junk but if you look around you can find a few nice items.

http://www.mybobs.com/Montibello.aspx

Kengi
Sep 22, 2006
Gamer, geek, and ladies man

chuck2020 posted:

The misses and I finally bought our first house last month, and our builder let us contract a local company to do the A/V set up and roll it into the mortgage. Check it out:

Our TV and components

Custom-cut in-wall shelving unit. It's got our cable box, receiver, PS3, PS2, Wii, and a drawer to hold controllers and such.

And here's the rear view of it.

Our in-ceiling surround sound speakers

A view of the TV with the speakers and sub.

Specs:
tv - 52" Sony Bravia
receiver - Denon AVR-2310CI

Thoughts/suggestions?

I eventually want something like this. My girlfriend and I just got a house, and it's a lot more than we've got right now (4 bedrooms compared to 1). How much did it run you?

chuck2020
Jan 14, 2007

Kengi posted:

I eventually want something like this. My girlfriend and I just got a house, and it's a lot more than we've got right now (4 bedrooms compared to 1). How much did it run you?

It was $6,000 all together. It may sound like a lot, but it was a great deal. We paid $2000 out of pocket (which was ok because our initial plan was to buy a flat screen as a housewarming gift to ourselves), and rolled the other $4000 into the mortgage. That total includes:
TV
Receiver
3 speakers (center channel and 2 surrounds)
100' of HDMI cable
all of the speaker wire throughout the ceiling
the component shelf
installation of all of it

If you are in Lexington, KY, I would highly recommend this guy. He did fantastic work for us!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

chuck2020 posted:

It was $6,000 all together. It may sound like a lot, but it was a great deal. We paid $2000 out of pocket (which was ok because our initial plan was to buy a flat screen as a housewarming gift to ourselves), and rolled the other $4000 into the mortgage. That total includes:
TV
Receiver
3 speakers (center channel and 2 surrounds)
100' of HDMI cable
all of the speaker wire throughout the ceiling
the component shelf
installation of all of it

If you are in Lexington, KY, I would highly recommend this guy. He did fantastic work for us!

You paid $4000 for speaker wire, drywall and wall studs.

proudfoot
Jul 17, 2006
Yak! Look! a Yak!

samoth posted:

You paid $4000 for speaker wire, drywall and wall studs.

He also paid for around 50-70 hours of professional work which would be difficult for him to do.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

proudfoot posted:

He also paid for around 50-70 hours of professional work which would be difficult for him to do.

exactly, I was about to say... assuming professional installation is valued at $0/hr.

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

proudfoot posted:

not to mention that installation probably included hooking all that poo poo up, programming anything like remotes and such, EQing and calibrating the tv. That's a pretty decent price, when I used to do home theater installs I would charge around 5 grand for something like that and that was only because I needed to undercut pros and places like best buy to get any business.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
My thought was that I wouldn't want $4000 added into my mortgage for gear that is going to be worth less than half of its current value in about 12 months. Now I'm paying interest every month on $4K extra on my mortgage for however long I'm in the house. Say you're in the house the entire 30 year term of the mortgage; (unlikely I know...) you'd be paying 10x that $4K in interest, probably more. It's a bad deal long term, in my opinion. It would have been a better value proposition to just charge it to a low interest credit card if you really insist on not paying cash, instead of having it hang over your head forever.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

GOOCHY posted:

My thought was that I wouldn't want $4000 added into my mortgage for gear that is going to be worth less than half of its current value in about 12 months. Now I'm paying interest every month on $4K extra on my mortgage for however long I'm in the house. Say you're in the house the entire 30 year term of the mortgage; (unlikely I know...) you'd be paying 10x that $4K in interest, probably more. It's a bad deal long term, in my opinion. It would have been a better value proposition to just charge it to a low interest credit card if you really insist on not paying cash, instead of having it hang over your head forever.

So instead of paying back the 4K on a credit card, he makes extra principal payments, say $400 a month for 10 months. Wouldn't that be almost the same as putting it on a card?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Legdiian posted:

So instead of paying back the 4K on a credit card, he makes extra principal payments, say $400 a month for 10 months. Wouldn't that be almost the same as putting it on a card?

Not if he doesn't make the extra principle payments.

A better idea is to not spend above your means, but I'm certainly not judging the guy, I'm just saying I would have done the relatively easy framing and drywalling work myself.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Suniikaa posted:

I love your speaker stands but god drat sweep your floor.

This is why I haven't posted my AV setup. I'm not worried about the floor but the chaos of components and the sea of disorganised cables is embarrassing.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Devian666 posted:

This is why I haven't posted my AV setup. I'm not worried about the floor but the chaos of components and the sea of disorganised cables is embarrassing.

According to someone in the "Post your desktop" thread over in SH/SC you are living like poo poo.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

According to someone in the "Post your desktop" thread over in SH/SC you are living like poo poo.

Now that I'm not working seven days a week I'll see what I can do about providing before and after pictures. This should provide some entertainment at my expense.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Legdiian posted:

Runco CW-61

Very nice. I wish my Runco-equipped system was as clean looking. Soon enough, though. I'm moving to a bigger place.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.
Excuse the mess, I'll clean it up... I swear :(

Click for full 1,904 x 2,114 pixels

Click for full 1,936 x 1,296 pixels

Specs

TV Sony Bravia KDL-40D3550 (40" LCD)
Receiver Yamaha RX-V590RDS (will be replaced early 2010)
Front speakers Proson Stratego Top 10 SAH
Rear speakers Infinity Reference 61i
Computer Intel Core i7 940, 12GB DDR3 ram, 6.8TB storage
HD-PVR
Xbox 360 Elite
Playstation 3

I do not know much about speakers, are mine any good? I've read reviews where people praise both of them but I've also heard claims that both brands were budget brands.

To the far left in the first picture there are 2 cables hanging from the roof, this is Cat6 ethernet cable going from the basement (im 2 floors up) and coax, they will both be rearranged to not be so ungodly distractive.

Trapdoor fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 9, 2009

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

TV: Panasonic TC-P50G15
Stand: BDI Icon 9429 (Awesome TV stand, but a dust magnet)
Fronts: Axiom M60 v2
Center: Axiom VP150 v2
Surrounds: Axiom QS8 v2 + FMS QS stands
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K

Xbox 360 Elite, PS3 Slim and a Wii.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Since I'm in an apartment I opted not to get a subwoofer, but with those towers it's not that much of an issue.

I'm going to remove those paintings; not only does the TV partially obscure them, but I'm not a fan. Hooray for gaudy things I never asked for!
I also need to buy some curtains, because even with the blinds too much light pours in during the day and reflects off the TV.

Nude tower picture :3:

Click here for the full 960x1280 image.

Synapsis
Dec 5, 2007

Fly High
^^

Pardon my ignorance, but are the tall white things behind your speakers lamps or another audio component?

got dat wmd
Apr 28, 2009

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Samsung 32" LCD
Denon 3210CI
Boston Acoustics classic series 5 speakers and sub
Technics SL1200mk2
Comcast whatever new hd cable box
Sub isolator platform

There's been some complaints about the BA classic series but they sound wonderful to me and are perfect for this apartment.

Edit: Should I put the TT on top of the receiver?

got dat wmd fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 12, 2009

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Synapsis posted:

^^

Pardon my ignorance, but are the tall white things behind your speakers lamps or another audio component?

Ahah those are lamps, yes. They are really nice, but power hogs (five standard lightbulbs :v:), so I mostly use them as a decoration. They do give off a nice, warm glow though which is perfect for watching TV late at night.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

got dat wmd posted:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Samsung 32" LCD
Denon 3210CI
Boston Acoustics classic series 5 speakers and sub
Technics SL1200mk2
Comcast whatever new hd cable box
Sub isolator platform

There's been some complaints about the BA classic series but they sound wonderful to me and are perfect for this apartment.

That sub is a BA CS Sub10?

bEatmstrJ
Jun 30, 2004

Look upon my bathroom joists, ye females, and despair.

Trapdoor posted:

Excuse the mess, I'll clean it up... I swear :(

Click for full 1,904 x 2,114 pixels

Click for full 1,936 x 1,296 pixels

Specs

TV Sony Bravia KDL-40D3550 (40" LCD)
Receiver Yamaha RX-V590RDS (will be replaced early 2010)
Front speakers Proson Stratego Top 10 SAH
Rear speakers Infinity Reference 61i
Computer Intel Core i7 940, 12GB DDR3 ram, 6.8TB storage
HD-PVR
Xbox 360 Elite
Playstation 3

I do not know much about speakers, are mine any good? I've read reviews where people praise both of them but I've also heard claims that both brands were budget brands.

To the far left in the first picture there are 2 cables hanging from the roof, this is Cat6 ethernet cable going from the basement (im 2 floors up) and coax, they will both be rearranged to not be so ungodly distractive.

Is that your closet? Seriously, it looks like you had to shoehorn that couch in there.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

bEatmstrJ posted:

Is that your closet? Seriously, it looks like you had to shoehorn that couch in there.

My money is that it's a divided bonus room. Either way, really cramped. Probably loud and fun as hell, but definitely looks cramped.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

chuck2020 posted:

Custom-cut in-wall shelving unit. It's got our cable box, receiver, PS3, PS2, Wii, and a drawer to hold controllers and such.
Thoughts/suggestions?

I love the setup, and was thinking of doing something similar when I get a house. But then I thought, what's the point of cutting a custom shelving unit into the wall to have it all on display? For one thing, when PS4/XBox720/WiiHD or whatever comes out, you're gonna be screwed for space. Secondly, it looks like you have access to it via a walk in closet. Why not just set up all your components on a shelf in the closet and control them via a Harmony RF controller? Sure, you'd have to go in there any time you wanted to put in a new game or Blu-Ray, but A) the industry seems to be moving more towards downloadable games or at least being able to install your games, and B) you have to walk over to that general area anyway, I don't think opening the closet door to pop in your disc is that much more effort.

Hell, if you have the space for it, you could convert the whole closet to your DVD/BluRay/Video Game library with some nice shelving units and lighting.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

bEatmstrJ posted:

It's a divided bonus room, gimme 5 minutes and i'll mspaint the design of the room.

edit:

Excuse my poor mspaint skills.

edit2: And you're right, I had to first put the speakers in, then slide the couch in and there's contact on both sides of the couch, It won't even budge side to side.

Trapdoor fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

got dat wmd posted:

Put it somewhere not on the floor for sure. Your speakers look like the Microbe "DIY Speakers" everyone (me included) has been making in this forum.

I'm going to be making ghetto speaker stands of veneered.. cinderblocks. Really nice veneer too. I'll see if it turns into a travesty or something cool and report back.