Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

EndofGoogle posted:

Hmmm, what makes it so horrible to work on? It did seem like it sat awhile in the shop but it started up with a battery charge and runs fine when I practice on it. Is it going to blow seals all over the place if I take it for more than a 25min jaunt around the industrial park it lives at?

Okey, from the top:
The bike has it's fuse box in a weird location.
getting access to the electrical parts is hard.
Removing the tank requires removing many bolted on parts.
Removing the seat requires unbolting it.
The petcock has a lovely seal design.
The cylinder head is the classic SOHC design, and therefore will always leak. ALWAYS.
Removing the carburators is very, very, very difficult.
The clutch adjustment happens in three separate places, for no discernible reason.
The clutch castle nut uses the "honda" fastener design, but isn't the same size as any other honda. (we had to trim the one we had to make it work..)
The rear shocks need to be disconnected to remove the rear axle. Otherwise the axle doesn't clear the exhausts.

Uh.... Tha'ts all I remember right now. Really, I hate working on hondas. Generally speaking though, they don't need work.

As for the bike needing a battery charge, you should really take a close look at the charging system. If that's failed, you could be looking a t $300 for repair. If you're really lucky just the regulator failed, otherwise youll be looking at brush replacement at minimum, or a rotor rewind if it's well and truely broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
You forgot about the fixed/integrated handlebars ("Here's your riding position, you'll take it and LIKE IT!") and the mind-numbingly stupid diaphragmless CV carbs.

Oh, and running the entire electrical load through the ignition switch (not sure if that's just a Honda thing).

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 3, 2009

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Nerobro posted:

Warnings about the hell of wrenching Nighthawk 650s.
Did you miss that he's not buying and probably won't have to wrench it.

EndofGoogle posted:

Nighthawk 650, ok or horrible beginner bike? Our family friend and mechanic has offered to let me use one to learn on till I get my own bike. I've been practicing on it to get basic shifting down and the like before I do my MSF and it seems good for my height but also seems heavy and a bit powerful.

It's a fine bike to learn on.

Nerobro posted:

As for the bike needing a battery charge, you should really take a close look at the charging system. If that's failed, you could be looking a t $300 for repair. If you're really lucky just the regulator failed, otherwise youll be looking at brush replacement at minimum, or a rotor rewind if it's well and truely broken.

The Nighthawk 650 is known not to charge but rather discharged below 2000-2500 RPM. It's born with that "feature".

If you complain about wrenching on a Nighthawk 650, I feel tempted to record a video of me balancing carburetors and adjusting valves on 3 and 4 on my CBX1000. The video might last half a day, but I promise it'll be worth it just for the amount of cursing in a strange language and the blood. There will be lots and lots of blood ;) Carburetor jetting was fun, when I went to a 6-1 exhaust too.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Blaster of Justice posted:

If you complain about wrenching on a Nighthawk 650, I feel tempted to record a video of me balancing carburetors and adjusting valves on 3 and 4 on my CBX1000. The video might last half a day, but I promise it'll be worth it just for the amount of cursing in a strange language and the blood. There will be lots and lots of blood ;) Carburetor jetting was fun, when I went to a 6-1 exhaust too.
Most bikes don't charge well (or at all...) at low rpms. Especially ones with no field coil. That said, the CB650 is a field coil bike, which makes bad low rpm charging a really screwed up situation. Field coil bikes GENERALLY are good low rpm chargers. They don't need to make the tradeoff of low rpm charging versus high rpm excess current.

I agree, they're good bikes, so long as you can avoid the wrenching bit. :-)

There is a special place in hell for the man who decided the CBX was a good idea. That said, they sound like angels copulating when wound out.

dw06WU
Aug 25, 2002
el burro
What do you guys think about Victory bikes? I've been thinking about getting one of those. I love the huge 250 rear tire on them and the modern styling. I also sat on some and they fit me pretty well, they are designed for pretty big guys.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

dw06WU posted:

What do you guys think about Victory bikes? I've been thinking about getting one of those. I love the huge 250 rear tire on them and the modern styling. I also sat on some and they fit me pretty well, they are designed for pretty big guys.

My coworker has had one (Victory Vision "Tour" edition) for about 6 months now, and he absolutely loves it. He and his wife run it all over Austin and the surrounding area on both quick trips and 3+ hr jaunts, he's put a couple thousand miles on it already and he's had 0 problems with it. He says it's the most comfortable bike he's ridden... I haven't asked to sit on it, 'cause, well... I'm a noob, and that bike cost about $20,000 dollars.

It's a really quiet bike though. I was really surprised when he started it up and pulled off. He gave my wife a ride around the block, and she said it was very comfortable, for what that's worth. Also, the Victory emblems on the side of the cowl light up at night, which I thought was a neat touch. People seem to either love or hate the lines on it, it's pretty unique looking.

I've seen a couple of the 8Ball cruisers around town, but I don't know anyone who owns one. They are nice looking though.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

dw06WU posted:

Anecdotal evidence suggests they are pretty reliable. A friend of bought one new and put 80,000 miles on it. It's still his primary ride.

The new ones look completely friggin awesome, too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dw06WU posted:

Nothing but annecdotal evidence here too, but I have a friend who rides one as his primary, has 80k+ on it, and loves it. If I were in the market for a cruiser like that, I'd go victory in a heartbeat.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Victorys also can corner. (for a cruiser)

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Does CA recommend any entry level bikes from the big manufacturers over the others? I recently passed the MSF course and was thinking about getting a used, reliable newbie bike next year and wasn't quite sure if there were any substantial differences between the makes.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Budget Dracula posted:

Does CA recommend any entry level bikes from the big manufacturers over the others? I recently passed the MSF course and was thinking about getting a used, reliable newbie bike next year and wasn't quite sure if there were any substantial differences between the makes.

Well, if you asked me, I'd say Yamaha was the best.
If you asked Nerobro, he'd say Suzuki was the best.
If you asked Silver, Honda is the best.

No one likes Kawasaki though.

g - fresh
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran
I took the MSF course recently and have been looking for my first bike. This popped up on craigslist yesterday http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/1356335475.html and looks like it might be a good starter bike. I'm a little worried about the mileage and the fact that it may need work on the cam tension rod (what is this?) soon. It looks pretty drat ugly but I can see past that if its a good deal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

VTNewb posted:

The Ninja 250 ADL is gonna come for you in the night, with very small, very fast pistons of fury.

g - fresh posted:

I took the MSF course recently and have been looking for my first bike. This popped up on craigslist yesterday http://westernmass.craigslist.org/mcy/1356335475.html and looks like it might be a good starter bike. I'm a little worried about the mileage and the fact that it may need work on the cam tension rod (what is this?) soon. It looks pretty drat ugly but I can see past that if its a good deal.

That looks pretty much perfect. I'd show up with 700$ cash, offer him that, if he balks, add another 100$. When it's all said and done and you want a new bike, you should have no problems getting that out of it.

I'd guess that the "cam tension rod" is the cam chain tensioner, and it shouldn't need any work, but if it does it's a simple swap. Or it could have a manual one on there for some reason, which would be easy to adjust.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

VTNewb posted:

Aw, come on. I have two Yamahas in my garage. And half a Peugeot 206. Along with the six Suzukis.

Something we'll all say, is don't buy new for a first bike. Every MFG has something that would make a good first bike. If you want to talk current models:

Honda: Nighthawk 250, Rebel 250, CRF230L
Kawasaki: Ninja 250, Ninja 500, KLX250, KLR650, Super Sherpa, Vulcan 500
Yamaha: WR250, TW200, TTR225
Suzuki: GS500F, TU250, Boulevard S40, GZ250, DRZ400, DRZ650

Just to be complete...
Harley Davidson: Sportster 883
Ducati: Monster 620
Royal Enfield: Any
Ural: Any

Uh, tha'ts all that comes to mind off hte top of my head. Those are the "these are pretty damned ideal" bikes. There are others that are "ok" but are way on the far edge of suitable for noobs. Ninja 650, SV650, GSX650F, etc...

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
How much will I regret not getting a DRZ SM if I get the regular S version? I really want to do some "adventuring" or whatever so the S version is appealing b/c of the wheels (plus it's cheaper, and I know you can put new wheels on the SM but that's $$$ too), but I don't know if there's really a big difference between the two for just riding around town.

e: I guess I should also mention I won't be riding the twisties since there aren't any here.

IAMKOREA fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 4, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

IAMKOREA posted:

How much will I regret not getting a DRZ SM if I get the regular S version? I really want to do some "adventuring" or whatever so the S version is appealing b/c of the wheels (plus it's cheaper, and I know you can put new wheels on the SM but that's $$$ too), but I don't know if there's really a big difference between the two for just riding around town.

e: I guess I should also mention I won't be riding the twisties since there aren't any here.

What sort of adventuring are you talking about? A DRZSM is very offroad capable even with the 17s on it. I'd take the SM for around town, no question.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Just light offroad stuff, poorly maintained dirt roads and maybe some singletrack trails.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

VTNewb posted:

That's it, you're ON THE LIST. :ese:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I like Kawasaki just fine. Except for those slow-rear end 250 Ninjas.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
I got a line on a 2002 BMW F650 Dakar for around $3k

Below is the only picture, but he's going to get some more. The bike is currently being stored out of state, but he'd get it moved up here. Apparently the previous owner raced it, and has replaced components to lighten the bike. The only thing wrong at this point is a bent footpeg. 15k miles.

Assuming there's nothing else wrong with it, does this sound like a good deal? I was looking at a brand new G650GS this spring.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Nerobro posted:

There is a special place in hell for the man who decided the CBX was a good idea. That said, they sound like angels copulating when wound out.

I know.

He's sitting right besides the fuckers from Benelli and Kawasaki that also thought than an inline cross placed 6 cylinder big displacement engine is a great idea to cram in a MC frame.

The loving Honda designer must be tortured more than the guys from Benelli and Kawasaki though, since he made a rock solid design.

I still see a lot of CBX1000s around, and I plan to keep my own till I die, but I see almost no 80s Benellis or Kawasaki KZ1300s around. My second bike was a '78 Benelli 750SEI. Bought it in 84 with only 3.000 Km on the clock. The quality of that poo poo equaled early Chinese Lifan Honda clones. Luckily I crashed it and was wise enough to buy the CBX for my inline 6 perversion. A few of my friends bought KZ1300s, but they're all dust by now.

The CBX is a surviver. The concept is simple as gently caress. Take the proven to death CB900 Bol D'or engine, add two cylinders and downsize each cylinder to CB750K Specs. Sounds simple right? Wrong! 6 Carburetors and 24 valves crammed in a 80s style frame is a loving nightmare. I love it to death.

I've donated blood for 30 years, but I'm pretty sure that wrenching the CBX wins by a gallon or so. Also a pro tip for any CBX owner out there. Blood stains aluminum really bad. Always have some cyanoacrylate glue ready to close your worst wounds while balancing carburetors on your CBX. Forget gloves. A CBX leaves no room for gloves.

(All my other bikes are 2-stroke by now and a max of 3 cylinders and 750cc. I think I'm in a denial phase of my road life)

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 5, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I want a CBX so badly. :ohdear:

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

SeamusMcPhisticuffs posted:

I got a line on a 2002 BMW F650 Dakar for around $3k

Below is the only picture, but he's going to get some more. The bike is currently being stored out of state, but he'd get it moved up here. Apparently the previous owner raced it, and has replaced components to lighten the bike. The only thing wrong at this point is a bent footpeg. 15k miles.

Assuming there's nothing else wrong with it, does this sound like a good deal? I was looking at a brand new G650GS this spring.

There are a few things to look for if it's been ridden hard, swing arm bearings, steering head bearings, as well as the instrument cluster are all prone to needing to be replaced if it's been abused. The stock shock can also get worn out and is not rebuildable. Otherwise they're rather solid bikes. Wheel bearings can be an issue if the guy is a shade tree mechanic and done all of his own tire changes. For 3K that's pretty good price wise but I'd expect some if not most of those items will need attention.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Next summer I want to upgrade to a liquid cooled italian v-twin. I love my 900 Ducati and the attention it gets over all the asian plastic bikes. My wallet says get the Aprilia RSV 1000, but my heart says Ducati 996. Should be noted that we are talking <$6500 next summer. The Ape is not as pretty as the Duck. Ape would cost less over all to maintain, and wouldn't have random poo poo break (as much) as the Ducati

Roughly the same power. But good god the duck is sexy but I know as soon as I buy it that its gonna break. What do my goons think?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

A 2nd gen RSV1000R.

The Duc 996 is shiny and all, but it's down on HP from the RSV and is way, way less comfortable. I don't know what sort of riding you'd be doing, but there is no place where I would take a 996 over an RSV1000R, especially if you got the Factory model.

The aprilia wins in engine, comfort, suspension, weight, chassis, and cost.

Of course, love isn't always logical :)

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Of course, love isn't always logical :)

See: Counter argument

"Clackity-Clackity-Clackity-Clackity-Clackity"

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
The Ducati is that Italian girl you met at the beach. She is so full of life and so hot you can ignore the shadow on the upper lip, the pits and the slightly furry legs, as you know she will deliver and make glorious music doing so.

The Aprilia is the Italian girl you met in the cafe. She's smart, sexy and sophisticated, dressed and groomed like a supermodel, yet open, approachable and yes, she will deliver and make glorious music doing so.

You'll have a hard time deciding, because there really is no bad decision to be made here.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Now I want to meet an Italian Librarian on the beach.

I'm starting to look at new bikes for sometime next year. The bike will probably be both a daily commuter (if I sell my current bike) and a tourer. It's a second bike with my first being a Ninja 250. I am thinking I'll probably be doing 80/20 or 90/10 street/offroad. Offroad meaning going on camping trips so dirt roads with lots of loose rock and not always nice dirt roads.

I'm looking at something along the 650 family of bikes, with the V-Strom and Kawasaki ER-6N being my leading choices. I have a feeling that with the roads I want to take that pretty much any bike will be good. I'd just like to see if taking something like a v-strom (which has a pretty high seating position if I remember right) on roads with some big rocks is a bad idea?

shaitan fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 6, 2009

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

I want a CBX so badly. :ohdear:

Think twice! It's a 25 y.o. lady that'll require some wrenching from time to time. The only bone I've ever broken in a MC related accident was caused by dropping the CBX engine from a height of 5" on my toe. All my other bikes has cute names like my GT750 (Sir Kettlefart), my RD500YPVS (Sir Whinealot) and my RD350YPVSs (Sir Deathtrap I and II). I usually just refer to my CBX as "Bitch".

Think twice! This is NOT a good idea.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8tkVSKb77Y

I...I can't...what did you say again?

I don't have a problem wrenching on it, that's why I have a garage and reliable, modern bike. If I don't want to work on it, it'll stay in the garage until I do :)

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

I tried to warn you. The video you posted is pretty accurate but also :nms: Please do not advocate this bike to new riders. In fact do not recommend it to anyone. Once my RD500 kills me, my I might leave you my CBX, but that's only because I hate you so much. My hands are currently bleeding from installing a new throttle cable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I tried to warn you. The video you posted is pretty accurate but also :nms: Please do not advocate this bike to new riders. In fact do not recommend it to anyone. Once my RD500 kills me, my I might leave you my CBX, but that's only because I hate you so much. My hands are currently bleeding from installing a new throttle cable.

I can just imagine the hilarity of a new rider and a CBX.

Also is your CBX also your repository for your collection of vintage swords, daggers, and bamboo surgical instruments or something?

I guess I'll find out when I eventually buy one. :xd:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Roughly the same power. But good god the duck is sexy but I know as soon as I buy it that its gonna break. What do my goons think?

RSV. They are loving good bikes. BIKE mag rates them as highly as the original R1. The Apes are drat reliable. Parts supply can be a bit iffy, but AF1 are apparently magicians at getting hold of Ape bits.

Think twice! It's a 25 y.o. lady that'll require some wrenching from time to time. The only bone I've ever broken in a MC related accident was caused by dropping the CBX engine from a height of 5" on my toe. All my other bikes has cute names like my GT750 (Sir Kettlefart), my RD500YPVS (Sir Whinealot) and my RD350YPVSs (Sir Deathtrap I and II). I usually just refer to my CBX as "Bitch".

Think twice! This is NOT a good idea.

I'm listening to what you're saying...and I don't care.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Z3n posted:

Also is your CBX also your repository for your collection of vintage swords, daggers, and bamboo surgical instruments or something?

That's pretty close but nah, I'm not a pervert. I usually just blindfold her and teach her a lesson with a leather whip before I wrench her ;)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That's pretty close but nah, I'm not a pervert. I usually just blindfold her and teach her a lesson with a leather whip before I wrench her ;)

Maybe the gentle approach would work better? Sneak up on it and bap it on the head with a hammer? :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The CBX is awesome because its one of the most nutso bikes to come out of the UJM arms race. Its like Honda created it just to say "hey assholes, top this" to the rest of the Japanese manufacturers.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

8ender posted:

The CBX is awesome because its one of the most nutso bikes to come out of the UJM arms race. Its like Honda created it just to say "hey assholes, top this" to the rest of the Japanese manufacturers.
Well, that's EACTLY what it was. Really, nobody ever did. And while technologically it wasn't the powerhouse that the CBX was, the GS1000 was faster, and handled better. :-)

I've got my eyes on a XN85 that's up on ebay.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Bucephalus posted:

I like Kawasaki just fine. Except for those slow-rear end 250 Ninjas.

Gonna cut this dude

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Seriously though, if I ever rode an EX250 in anger (especially in the twisties), I would probably poo poo my pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The best way to ride them is as if you're angry. Keep it between 9-12k the whole time, and its a blast.