Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Maybe a piece of exhaust wrap attached to the back of your bag. That should protect it from wear, and also not catch on fire. Do you sew and/or have a grandmother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Zool posted:

Maybe a piece of exhaust wrap attached to the back of your bag. That should protect it from wear, and also not catch on fire. Do you sew and/or have a grandmother?

I can sew and knit just fine.

reir
Nov 19, 2004
edit: fixed

reir fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 4, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Uthor posted:

So I'm trying to diagnose the clattering noise I'm getting from the top of my engine. I didn't take a video before tearing it apart (stupid), but it sounds a bit like these videos.

Anyway, I'm going to readjust the valves a little tighter than I did last time when I put them at the loose end of the range. I also wanted to check my cam chain tension, but because I have an automatic cam chain tensioner, I can't find a spec for how much slack there should be. I took out the tensioner anyway, but it looks fine and there's not a whole hell of a lot that can go wrong with it.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

The only thing that can be wrong is the spring being stretched or compressed too much, but it looks fine and it's not exactly old (four years and 13,000 miles riding). Also, since there is no spec on the cam chain slack, I can't measure anything to see if the adjuster is bad. Does anything look off to you guys? Should I spend the $75 for a new one when I don't really have too much money? Also, my tensioner is a bit different than the one in my manual, but it seems like I should just bolt the body to the engine and then bolt the pin/spring inside with the cap bolt, right? Once tightened, the spring would push the tensioner out against the chain.

The only other thing I can think of checking is if the cam chain has stretched.

Everything inside seems coated in oil, so I'm pretty sure that's circulating well and keeping things lubed.

Here's a video of how much slack I have in the chain after putting my auto chain tensoner back on (hopefully with the correct torque specs as it doesn't quite match my manual).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gCfWqtFTjA

I don't think this is a problem, really. There is a guard that goes over this. The bottom of the guard is a curve that the chain follows. When the guard is on, I can't move the chain up or down at all.

I'm going to check clearances tomorrow and double check that nothing is worn out. I really hope the clatter goes away after this.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Uthor posted:

Here's a video of how much slack I have in the chain after putting my auto chain tensoner back on (hopefully with the correct torque specs as it doesn't quite match my manual).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gCfWqtFTjA

I don't think this is a problem, really. There is a guard that goes over this. The bottom of the guard is a curve that the chain follows. When the guard is on, I can't move the chain up or down at all.

I'm going to check clearances tomorrow and double check that nothing is worn out. I really hope the clatter goes away after this.

That is a problem. It should be tight. However, you may just need to rotate the engine 360 degrees to get it to tighten up. Give that a shot first, and if it doesn't tighten up you probably need to replace it. How hard was it for you to lift and push the chain down? All of the bikes I've ever worked on have always been almost totally solid, but admittedly I've never worked on a EX500 engine. Either way, that much slop is going to make quite a bit of noise.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 4, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

That is a problem. It should be tight. However, you may just need to rotate the engine 360 degrees to get it to tighten up. Give that a shot first, and if it doesn't tighten up you probably need to replace it. How hard was it for you to lift and push the chain down? All of the bikes I've ever worked on have always been almost totally solid, but admittedly I've never worked on a EX500 engine. Either way, that much slop is going to make quite a bit of noise.

Almost no force to lift it. Like I said, though, there is an "upper chain guide" (to quote the service manual) that goes over the top. I just put the guide back on and I can't move it in either direction anymore.

I did forgot to measure the chain length, so I will go back and do that later today when I get a minute.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Uthor posted:

Almost no force to lift it. Like I said, though, there is an "upper chain guide" (to quote the service manual) that goes over the top. I just put the guide back on and I can't move it in either direction anymore.

I did forgot to measure the chain length, so I will go back and do that later today when I get a minute.

Is it just a cover for the chain or does it add tension to it?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Is it just a cover for the chain or does it add tension to it?

It seems to add tension. Maybe I should have put it on before putting on the tensioner? I'm worried that the tensioner is at the end of it's movement and not being able to give more, but that can only be checked by measuring the chain length. I don't know if I'll have time to get to that today. I'll redo it tomorrow and check the valve clearance. I really need to rule out valve clearance first, as that's the easiest and cheapest route (except for all the time it takes me to tear the bike down to get to the valves in the first place.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Uthor posted:

It seems to add tension. Maybe I should have put it on before putting on the tensioner? I'm worried that the tensioner is at the end of it's movement and not being able to give more, but that can only be checked by measuring the chain length. I don't know if I'll have time to get to that today. I'll redo it tomorrow and check the valve clearance. I really need to rule out valve clearance first, as that's the easiest and cheapest route (except for all the time it takes me to tear the bike down to get to the valves in the first place.

Hrm, I don't have experience with the internals on a ninja/vulcan 500. What year is yours? From the microfiche on bikebandit it doesn't look like the chain guide should be tensioning anything.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

Hrm, I don't have experience with the internals on a ninja/vulcan 500. What year is yours? From the microfiche on bikebandit it doesn't look like the chain guide should be tensioning anything.

Is this the image you are talking about?
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmo.../m4504sch436256

It's part 12053 on that page.

The chain has a definite curve to it after I put the guide on. I cannot move the chain at all in either direction with the guide on. I'd put up images from the manual I have (how do you get JPEGs out of a PDF? Does Print Screen work?), but it doesn't show anything. I should get out there tomorrow and I'll take an "after" shot or video showing everything more clearly.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Kawasaki cannot, cannot, make cam chain tensioners. Buy a manual APE one.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Do you have a link? I found this site, but there's nothing for either Ninja or Vulcan 500 cc engines.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Hey guys... Just picked up an '82 KZ1000J2 that's a bit of a odd duck. It was bought used with 6K in '89 by my brother-in-law, who rode it for a bit and then proceeded to rebuild the entire bike pretty much. The guy is a brilliant auto mechanic but not really a biek guy... One example; when I brought the bike to get an inspection sticker it was pointed out to me that although the front tire was directionally correct, the forks were installed backward, with the brake calipers on the front side of the fork tube. Given that I didn't notice, I guess I can't fault him though. :doh:

The bike was ridden only a few hundred miles after all the work was done, and went into a shed for 20 years or so. It only has 7K miles on it today.

So when he did the bike over back in '89, he sent the engine out to some shop in NH to be rebuilt. They either bored or stroked it out to 1100cc and did some other hot-rodding work, exactly what he doesn't remember. It has the stock Mikuni BS34 carbs, and they've never been properly set up. When he was trying to get the idle smoothed out he was constantly fiddling with the pilot screws, so I really don't know what they're at at the moment, nor do I know if the jets are original. I would guess that the carbs would have been re-jetted by the shop that did the engine rebuild/punch-out, but I'm not sure. The stock airbox is still on the bike, but the exhaust has been swapped out for a Vance & Hines 4-into-1.

The bike is an animal over 3K, but the idle creeps up when it's warm, the idle isn't smooth at all, and the throttle response off idle is terrible!

Where should I start looking for problems? I did a carb synch, and they're pretty close to spot-on. I'm going to look for vacuum leaks next.

Speaking of vacuum, here's a weird thing... When I did the carb synch, I put an auxiliary fuel tank on, disconnecting the regular tank and bypassing the vacuum petcock that was connected to the vacuum fitting on carb #2. I connected the vacuum gauges of the synch tool to the vacuum ports of each carb, disconnecting all the other vacuum lines in the process. When I did this, it seemed like the throttle response was beautiful!

What does this tell me? Is there a vacuum leak that I eliminated by bypassing all the vacuum lines?

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
I think my dad just blew his engine on his R1. He said he was getting on the highway last night and accelerating, heard a loud bang and felt the bike lose like half the power. He managed to lug his way home out of the downtown area (it's about a 10 minute ride,not a good idea but worse could've happened if he stayed where he was) since no one was able to pick him up. Now, when the bike starts it makes an awful clattering sound and doesn't want to stay on.

Is there an easy way to diagnose what went wrong and how to fix it? I could probably get a video or something if that'll help. It's a 1999 R1.

fake edit: found a video that might be something like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIQvjJdG1HY&feature=related

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Uthor posted:

Do you have a link? I found this site, but there's nothing for either Ninja or Vulcan 500 cc engines.

http://zxzone.com/sprockets.html You need the KT1100.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Do you have any idea if that would work on a pre-'08 EX250? They specifically mention the new model, but I was under the impression that the engine was still similar at least to the old style.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm not 100% sure it'd fit between the engine and the temperature sensor on the radiator, though. If the problem doesn't go away tomorrow, I might give that a try.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

sirbeefalot posted:

Do you have any idea if that would work on a pre-'08 EX250? They specifically mention the new model, but I was under the impression that the engine was still similar at least to the old style.

The motors are the same.

Uthor posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm not 100% sure it'd fit between the engine and the temperature sensor on the radiator, though. If the problem doesn't go away tomorrow, I might give that a try.

Because they fit a wide range of motors, they can be a tight fit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I've never had a cam chain tensioner problem on any of my kawasakis, only hondas.

With that said, if you're gonna replace it, a manual one is a fine choice as long as you can get to it and adjust it easily. I like the automatic ones myself, I've never had a problem with any of them. (Except installing them, :argh:)

AkrisD posted:

I think my dad just blew his engine on his R1. He said he was getting on the highway last night and accelerating, heard a loud bang and felt the bike lose like half the power. He managed to lug his way home out of the downtown area (it's about a 10 minute ride,not a good idea but worse could've happened if he stayed where he was) since no one was able to pick him up. Now, when the bike starts it makes an awful clattering sound and doesn't want to stay on.

Is there an easy way to diagnose what went wrong and how to fix it? I could probably get a video or something if that'll help. It's a 1999 R1.

fake edit: found a video that might be something like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIQvjJdG1HY&feature=related

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what happened to it, it'll be cheaper to buy a used engine and swap it in than it will be to have it rebuilt.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Z3n posted:

I've never had a cam chain tensioner problem on any of my kawasakis, only hondas.

With that said, if you're gonna replace it, a manual one is a fine choice as long as you can get to it and adjust it easily. I like the automatic ones myself, I've never had a problem with any of them. (Except installing them, :argh:)

Well, I readjusted the valves to the middle of the range instead of the loose end and put everything back together. The noise persists. I'll try with manual tensioner next.

Here's a video of the noise. The mic didn't really pick up all the treble, but the high pitched clatter is much louder in real life. I also seem to have covered the mic when I walked to the left side of the bike. I suck at movie making.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ATtrsZT8_8

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!
So, how do y'all lube your chains? I get the cleaning and warming up...whatever. But when it comes to putting the poo poo on, what do you do? I got a can of spray lube from walmart, got I hated that stuff. Got white poo poo all over my sprockets, generally pissed me off. I've got a bottle of gear oil (85w-140 Coastal brand) and I just spin the rear wheel and put a glob on each link, one side then the other. Is that right?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I use the white poo poo. It's a bit of a PITA, though. Clean with a brush and kerosene, ride around the block to heat up the chain a bit (the lube goes on easier), then a spray of lube on the inside of the chain. I get it on my wheel, the ground, and on the swingarm, but it doesn't really bother me as it offsets the caked on asphalt (long story) and layers of dirt.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Methusulah posted:

So, how do y'all lube your chains? I get the cleaning and warming up...whatever. But when it comes to putting the poo poo on, what do you do? I got a can of spray lube from walmart, got I hated that stuff. Got white poo poo all over my sprockets, generally pissed me off. I've got a bottle of gear oil (85w-140 Coastal brand) and I just spin the rear wheel and put a glob on each link, one side then the other. Is that right?

A modern O-ring chain does not require much lubing. Just enough to keep rust away. loving NEVER boil a O-ring chain.

I keep my chains pretty dry and generally just use 15-40W motor oil to keep them in shape. Too much lubing with aggressive penetrating oils will destroy your O-rings and too greasy chains will just attract more grit and dust.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Blaster of Justice posted:

A modern O-ring chain does not require much lubing. Just enough to keep rust away. loving NEVER boil a O-ring chain.

I keep my chains pretty dry and generally just use 15-40W motor oil to keep them in shape. Too much lubing with aggressive penetrating oils will destroy your O-rings and too greasy chains will just attract more grit and dust.

It's mostly I don't want to use too much (that's costly) and I don't want to put it in the wrong place.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Methusulah posted:

It's mostly I don't want to use too much (that's costly) and I don't want to put it in the wrong place.

Center stand -> Rotate wheel -> Wipe down chain with an oil soaked plain cotton cloth. Use general 15-40W motor oil and a piece of denim and you'll be able to keep your chains in shape for a lifetime for about $10.

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

Center stand -> Rotate wheel -> Wipe down chain with an oil soaked plain cotton cloth. Use general 15-40W motor oil and a piece of denim and you'll be able to keep your chains in shape for a lifetime for about $10.

Now say I got pissed the other night, and oiled my chain in a rage. (wtf?) Say maybe I might have missed a couple links. Kinked links, instant death, chain dieing in 200 miles?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Methusulah posted:

Now say I got pissed the other night, and oiled my chain in a rage. (wtf?) Say maybe I might have missed a couple links. Kinked links, instant death, chain dieing in 200 miles?

I don't think you really understand O-ring chains. Just keep them free from rust and dirt and they'll generally survive nearly as long as your sprockets.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Just enough to keep rust away. loving NEVER boil a O-ring chain.

I don't think anyone but a select few are going to understand how or why you'd boil a chain :v:

As to cleaning it? I use 90w gear oil and just wipe it down, much like everyone else. I insure that I don't miss links by just going around it a few times. Line up the bottle with left hand, spin wheel with right hand, and drip oil on the chain while I spin it. Easy.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

I don't think anyone but a select few older than dirt fossils are going to understand how or why you'd boil a chain :v:

One of my buddies used to boil his chains all the time and it must have worked, his chains seemed to last forever. Course that was on an ancient Harley.

I like the dry teflon lube stuff from Lowes, can't think of the brand right off my pointy little head but it dries clear, and protects like nothing else without leaving greasy kids stuff on the chain to attract dirt. Largely like the Honda spray lube without the Honda price.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

And NO, you're not supposed to put it in gear and let the chain spin while lubing it. It does not end well.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

Course that was on an ancient Harley.

I was trying to be nice about it. :xd:

Ola posted:

And NO, you're not supposed to put it in gear and let the chain spin while lubing it. It does not end well.

I think Simkin was the last person to learn that lesson. :ohdear:

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Last Thursday I was out doing errands and was at a Fedex Kinko's a few blocks from my place. After a half hour or so in there, I came out and jumped on my recently-acquired EX500. It was steering strange, and I looked down to see that the front tire was almost wholly flat. It was fine earlier in the day, I was on the highway. I pulled over, looked it over, and decided to slowly motor it back home at 10 mph. There was some air left. I parked it and since I was starting to have a bad fever, I went back into my home and started focusing on recovering.

Today, I'm feeling much better and I went back out to look at the front tire. It was still in the same condition - not wholly flat, just some air in there. I looked over it for possible punctures, foreign objects, and the only thing that I found was this

I've got experience with flat tires on cars, but not on a motorcycle. What should I do? They're Pirelli Sport Demons and look to be in healthy shape otherwise on this used Ninja which I just bought last week.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 7, 2009

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Take it to a bike shop and see if they can patch it. Otherwise buy a new tire.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

the walkin dude posted:

I've got experience with flat tires on cars, but not on a motorcycle. What should I do? They're Pirelli Sport Demons and look to be in healthy shape otherwise on this used Ninja which I just bought last week.

reinflate the tyre and put some soapy water on it to locate the leak.
don't forget to check that its not a valve problem. if it is leaking there just plug it and ride on, it'll be fine.
edit, also bummer on a front wheel puncture, they're hard to get compared to rear wheel ones.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Well I hope you guys are wearing your comfy pants, i've got a laundry list of questions.

My bike(Suzuki, GS500, 1991) is vibey as gently caress. On the ride back from the mechanics, I just had to pull over and beat my hands a bit, I couldn't feel them at all. After lunch i'm running over to the bike shop and see if they have any good grips that would help, these ones are really hard. It also likes to drop from second into neutral, or it likes to stop providing power. I'll be riding along in second and BAM, revs shoot up to the moon and I start slowing down. A quick upshift fixes this.

It still likes to be a bitch about going back down to idle, it likes to stay about 4k until it's good and ready to drop to a more comfortable level. The front suspension is just about non-existent. The forks love bottoming out(With me on it, theres only about an inch of travel on there) My guy says it's not just the oil but the springs as well and that someone cut them down, trying to cafe it. The chain is pretty loose and on it's last legs. Also needs new tires!

The things i'm most worried about are the dropping from second issue and the forks. I'm pretty sure I would need new springs and oil for the forks, but what about the gears? What could be wrong with that?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

edit: got it sorted, was something stupid

Walked fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 8, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Chairon posted:

Well I hope you guys are wearing your comfy pants, i've got a laundry list of questions.

My bike(Suzuki, GS500, 1991) is vibey as gently caress. On the ride back from the mechanics, I just had to pull over and beat my hands a bit, I couldn't feel them at all. After lunch i'm running over to the bike shop and see if they have any good grips that would help, these ones are really hard. It also likes to drop from second into neutral, or it likes to stop providing power. I'll be riding along in second and BAM, revs shoot up to the moon and I start slowing down. A quick upshift fixes this.

It still likes to be a bitch about going back down to idle, it likes to stay about 4k until it's good and ready to drop to a more comfortable level. The front suspension is just about non-existent. The forks love bottoming out(With me on it, theres only about an inch of travel on there) My guy says it's not just the oil but the springs as well and that someone cut them down, trying to cafe it. The chain is pretty loose and on it's last legs. Also needs new tires!

The things i'm most worried about are the dropping from second issue and the forks. I'm pretty sure I would need new springs and oil for the forks, but what about the gears? What could be wrong with that?

you may not need NEW springs etc for the forks, if you can find a used pair that hasn't been destroyed, the springs might be fine. your bike has a lot of issues there. the slipping out of gear is the biggest one. far as i know it means your transmission is dying. only a major rebuild would fix it. probably more parts and labor than that bike is worth. everything else sounds like carb problems.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga

Chairon posted:

You can get Progressive springs on the cheap, less than 80 I believe. They are the biggest improvement I've made to my GS.

Slow return to idle means vacum leak. Spray your intake boots and the tops of the carbs with starter fluid while the bike is running. If it's a 91 the boots may be rotten, but if not it's probably the small oring between the cap of the carbs and the carb body.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
it could also be the o-rings on the back of the boots. That's pretty common, and $1.50, so worth the shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

you may not need NEW springs etc for the forks, if you can find a used pair that hasn't been destroyed, the springs might be fine. your bike has a lot of issues there. the slipping out of gear is the biggest one. far as i know it means your transmission is dying. only a major rebuild would fix it. probably more parts and labor than that bike is worth. everything else sounds like carb problems.

I was afraid of that, referring to the transmission. I don't think I have the goods to try replacing a tranny just yet. On my ride home it was popping out of first too :(

O-rings posted:

Carb boots and o-rings!

I replaced the o-rings when I first got it, i'll check the boots tomorrow.