Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

Next summer I want to upgrade to a liquid cooled italian v-twin. I love my 900 Ducati and the attention it gets over all the asian plastic bikes. My wallet says get the Aprilia RSV 1000, but my heart says Ducati 996. What do my goons think?

I am now an '04 RSVR owner (pictures in the post your bike thread) as of a bit over a week. I'm also now an owner who already has to do some work on the rear brakes :argh:. I will say this, the bike is amazing to ride, and to be honest I think the RSVRs look better than anything Ducati makes. I would highly recommend it, I've had it out riding most days since I got it and it's a fantastic bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Bucephalus posted:

Tell me more about the SV650.

I'm hoping to replace the Nighthawk next year, and I've been looking at 750+ cc v-twin cruisers; I don't care for the inline-4's peakiness. Problem is...they're cruisers. Meh. (They fit my laid-back riding style, but look so drat silly.)

Here's the deal: I'm 6'2" (34" inseam), 265 lbs. I ride a lot of backroads in hilly areas, and would rather use the powerband than row gears. I would also like to do some light touring (200-300 miles in a day, with several breaks).

So, will I fit on it comfortably? Is the riding position upright enough to save my wrists? (I'm not amused by unfaired sportbikes being represented as "standards".) Does the torque curve make up for the relative lack of displacement? How's the long-distance comfort?

Also consider

Ducati GT1000

I rode the S model, I thought it was a blast. And when you sit on it your easily the coolest dude in a 1/2 mile radius.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Hooooooly gently caress. :gizz:

Unfortunately, I failed to mention that I'm shopping <$3500 (and even that figure may be a bit optimistic). :(

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Having so much clearence over the rear wheel looks retarded

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

niethan posted:

sit on it.

fixed.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

Spiffness posted:

sit on it.

fixed.

Fatass.

It looks equally bad two up, even : http://www.ducatibrisbane.com.au/images/33-GT1000.jpg

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 9, 2009

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

niethan posted:

Have to agree. It looks like something fell off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

niethan posted:

Arg now I can't unsee it.

I wonder if it'd get better if you chopped that fender off. :confused:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It pains me that they got so much else right (including decent if not blistering performance) but then there's The Gap.

Bet it looks completely fine after throwing some saddlebags over it, though.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Z3n posted:

Arg now I can't unsee it.

I wonder if it'd get better if you chopped that fender off. :confused:
A bit maybe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Well thanks a lot fuckers. Damnit.

The Sport 1000 is the pretty one anyway. GT 1000 is the old man version

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

niethan posted:

A bit maybe

Needs some high mount termis to fill all that space.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think removing the side panels would help.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

wowza

Problem solved.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Spiffness posted:

GT 1000 is the old man version

Gonna cut this guy

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Z3n posted:

The Duc 996 is shiny and all, but it's down on HP from the RSV and is way, way less comfortable.
I disagree on the comfort issue. For a shorter guy like me whose height is mainly in my torso, the Duc is way more comfortable for me. I also couldn't get over how much bigger the RSV feels and how much taller it is.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yuns posted:

I disagree on the comfort issue. For a shorter guy like me whose height is mainly in my torso, the Duc is way more comfortable for me. I also couldn't get over how much bigger the RSV feels and how much taller it is.

I'm a average (5'11) guy who's height is in my torso and all the ducati supersports feel like I'm eating at a child's table from a bar stool. But as always, comfort is super subjective...there will always be a few people who really like the seating position on any bike, it just fits them.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Spiffness posted:

GT 1000 is the old man version

I'm 37 (38 by the time I get another bike), and cross-shopping cruisers. Old enough?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I hope so. The GT 1000 is rad (I'm thinking about picking up a sport classic next spring...)

the Sport 1000 is just... radder. Though exponentially less practical.

Click here for the full 1280x852 image.

Edit: Thumbed

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 10, 2009

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Spiffness posted:

I hope so. The GT 1000 is rad (I'm thinking about picking up a sport classic next spring...)

the Sport 1000 is just... radder. Though exponentially less practical.

God I love the styling on these bikes. one of the main reasons that I had to go out and get my bike license.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Bucephalus posted:

cruisers. Meh. (They fit my laid-back riding style, but look so drat silly.)

I'm going to back away from this stance just a bit.

Whenever I hear the term "cruiser" (or, more specifically, "metric cruiser"), I picture the cartoonish, chopper-styled Shadows, Viragos, Vulcans, and Intruders of the '80s and '90s (not to mention the Limited- and Custom-edition UJMs). I haven't paid much attention to anything from the past decade, for budgetary reasons.

Now that I'm putting some effort into shopping for a nice ride (instead of waiting for another 30-year-old fixer-upper to fall into my lap), I'm paying closer attention, and I like what I see. The Shadow Aero and M-series Boulevards are quite stunning, with long, flowing lines and a minimum of tacked-on chrome geegaws. Color me impressed. The chrome-laden, two-toned "choppers" are still out there, but careful searching reveals more than a few good-looking 750-900cc cruisers (and a couple 1100s!) for $2500-3500. (I still wouldn't touch a V-Star 650 or Boulevard S40 with a 10-foot pole.)

[/rambling 4am post]

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
A Shadow Aero (or ACE, if I can find one) will be my next bike. I rode one that belongs to a guy I shoot pool with. It was pretty bitchin.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want an S40 or V-Star?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Probably because of their wholly underwhelming 650cc engines.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^^What he said. S40 is a rebadged Savage (650 single), and I've heard firsthand accounts of V-Stars not being able to keep up with ~70mph Interstate traffic.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Pvt. Public posted:

A Shadow Aero (or ACE, if I can find one) will be my next bike. I rode one that belongs to a guy I shoot pool with. It was pretty bitchin.

Out of curiosity, why wouldn't you want an S40 or V-Star?

Hey, I just sold a Honda Shadow ace 750. All raging 50hp of it. it's 4500rpm redline is infuriating. It's not a "bad" bike, but it's far, far from a good bike. I thought it was great for sub 30 mph neighborhood cruising.

The S40 isn't the same class of bike. It is just a savage 650. They're light, they're slow, they're decent little putt-putt machines. The S50 is a vtwin and is a much different bike, and much more like the shadow.... and is lighter than the shadow by something like 100-150lbs.

I've never really done hte cruiser thing. But a friend does, and i'm helping them find a bike. It's a crash course in lovely engineering.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Nerobro posted:

Hey, I just sold a Honda Shadow ace 750. All raging 50hp of it. it's 4500rpm redline is infuriating. It's not a "bad" bike, but it's far, far from a good bike. I thought it was great for sub 30 mph neighborhood cruising.

The S40 isn't the same class of bike. It is just a savage 650. They're light, they're slow, they're decent little putt-putt machines. The S50 is a vtwin and is a much different bike, and much more like the shadow.... and is lighter than the shadow by something like 100-150lbs.

I've never really done hte cruiser thing. But a friend does, and i'm helping them find a bike. It's a crash course in lovely engineering.

Well, right now I'm rocking a GZ250, so the Shadow looked like a good next step. And I love the look of the ACE. I might have to look at the S50.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Bucephalus posted:

Now that I'm putting some effort into shopping for a nice ride (instead of waiting for another 30-year-old fixer-upper to fall into my lap), I'm paying closer attention, and I like what I see. The Shadow Aero and M-series Boulevards are quite stunning, with long, flowing lines and a minimum of tacked-on chrome geegaws.

The Aero looks so much like the C50 which many people consider a better bike. The M50s are nice bikes but I'm not much for blacked out engines. I will say my buddy's M50 handles better (shorter wheelbase) than my C50 and has more power but it's a lot 'buzzier' at lower RPMs. He has an aftermarket exhaust, air filter and chip though.

The S50 is the former Intruder, M = Marauder, C = Volusia; and I believe they are discontinuing the S series.

wormil fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 13, 2009

Zaknafein
Nov 16, 2004
Half Filipino. Half Venezuelan. That makes me black, I think.
what are your guys' thoughts on a 1992 Kawasaki vn750?

There is one in my area for sale for $800. I am waiting for the seller to email/call me back. From the description: new tires and battery, custom handlebars, harley turn signals, customized seat, rebuilt forks.

I have no ideal about the dials and such yet but is it something to consider? what else would I need to ask or look into? Yes, this would be my first bike.

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/1373670140.html

just saw this on craigslist. I contacted the guy.

I dig it a lot. Any thoughts on price/value/etc?

Should I jump on it?

THanks,

(if the link is broken, it is a 1983 Goldwing Standard that is brown and look sweet. 3300 miles on it. He wants 2 grand OBO)

EDIT: added price

EDIT 2: Apparently there are 33,000 not 3300 miles. He apologized for the typo...

ohwandernearer fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 14, 2009

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

Yuns posted:

This is kind of funny to me, one of the things I'm considering doing is getting some new pegs so they're a little lower on my RSV.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Oakey posted:

This is kind of funny to me, one of the things I'm considering doing is getting some new pegs so they're a little lower on my RSV.

You can get Buell footpegs for $35 that will lower it down about .5-.75" don't listen to what all the snobby fags on the Apriliaforums say.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
^^^ And you get to tell the leather vest crowd that your bike is part Harley.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

If I wanted to impress the leather vest crowd I don't think I would have gone with an Italian litrebike :haw:.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I don't say it to impress the leather vest crowd, I say it to troll them.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

...ok, that's pretty funny. I'll have to try that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Oakey posted:

Despite my lack of comfort on any of the earlier Aprilia liter bikes like the Falco and RSV1000, I am seriously lusting after the RSV4. I am considering getting the RSV4 when it arrives in the U.S. If I do get the RSV4, I probably will still keep the MV anyway instead of selling it.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a complete motorcycle newbie, have absolutely 0 experience riding and no gear or anything. My motivation for getting a bike is convenience mainly. Parking a car sucks, I only have one parking space where I live, and I already have a car that my wife uses to get to her work and school.

I need a motorcycle to commute to and from work every day, roughly 2-3 miles through a fairly busy area of Los Angeles/downtown.

I'd also like the bike to be decent enough to be able to joyride on the weekends, and possibly even do some kind of touring at some point.

(so the option of adding saddlebags or something would be nice)

I figure I'll need some kind of motorcycle jacket, obviously a helmet, and I've already got a backpack selected.

I like the street bike look, however I want a bike that's on the safer side. I am not dead set on a street bike by any means. Also, I'm a complete beginner so a) I don't want a very powerful engine and b) it should not be so expensive that if I drop it somehow that repairs will kill me.

As far as training and stuff I've already got something in mind for that. (2-day riding class + written test prep thing)

Optimally I'd like to spend around $1-2k. I'm not sure how realistic this is. Anyways, I'm just now getting into researching this... planning to buy stuff in 2-3 weeks hopefully. Maybe longer though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

soy posted:

I like the street bike look, however I want a bike that's on the safer side.

No matter what bike you buy, safety is completely up to you. There is no crash protection on any motorcycle, no crumple zone, no seatbelt and no airbags. You can get just as dead on a Ninja 250 as you can on a Hayabusa if you make the wrong moves. If you want safety, take a closer look at what you're buying for gear, and pay close attention at the MSF course and practice, practice practice the safety procedures (emergency stopping, swerving, looking and scanning) as much as possible before any kind of extended riding.

The gear you buy will do more to protect you in a crash than anything on the motorcycle itself. Look into a full kit if you want to be serious: Helmet (with some kind of face/eye protection; a full face helmet is best), gloves (ideally with armored knuckles and good thick leather all around), armored jacket/pants (or overpants) with good abrasion resistance (something north of 600 denier Cordura for textiles, for instance), and a good pair of boots with rigid ankle and foot protection. Dropping a bike on your ankle is a good way to put yourself out of commission for a good while. Also, this seems silly to even mention, but you need to wear your gear (ALL of it) every single time you're on the bike, no matter how short your trip.

Honestly, 2-3 miles in downtown LA? That's kind of a silly reason to get any motorized vehicle. I'd get a bicycle, but that's just me. You did say you wanted to do some leisure riding as well, so a motorcycle isn't totally unreasonable, I guess. Also consider a small scooter, perhaps.

The standard recommended "sport" style bikes are probably going to be:

• Kawasaki Ninja EX250, the 2007 and older models are likely going to be more in your price range. Expect to pay above 2000 for anything newer than about a 2004-05 with tax/reg/etc.
• Kawasaki Ninja EX500
• Suzuki GS500

I'd say you could also look into:
• Yamaha TW200 (dual sport style, big fat tires, small bike)
• Suzuki (right?) GZ250 (small cruiser style)

In each of those, the model number is the displacement of the engine. The power each makes is a little different, however. The Ninja 250 will be more powerful than the GZ250, for instance. About 20 hp for the GZ, and around 27 for the Ninja. That's a decent difference when discussing <350 lb bikes.

Finally, you're going to need more than 1-2k to get into motorcycling. Unless you buy a non-running wreck, fix it through sheer man power, and buy all your gear on clearance in back alleys, $2k isn't going to be enough. Budget at least about $3500 and shop around carefully. I doubt you'll be buying anything in only 2 weeks, unless you get lucky and score some good deals right away.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 17, 2009

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I forgot to mention I also need to travel about 15 miles across town to school varying amounts depending on my class schedule, if it was just to work I'd probably stick with my bicycle. Hell, I may use it on some days. But right now I'm utilizing the bus system which SUCKS loving GODDAMN CRAP.
:ssj:

I'll be using it for a lot of getting around, also it's a condition of my employment that I have a vehicle when on call. Hasn't come up yet but it'd be nice to have that base covered.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I'm kind of tall (6'5"). This is a pain in the rear end with bicycles, thought it might matter with motorcycles as well.

I figured 2k was low.

My brother in law is big into motorcycles so he's going to help me shop around. Hopefully I can find a good deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
I think 2k would be a good place for a bike and gear. If you know how to take measurements of yourself, you can buy most of your gear online(You should buy a helmet in person, to make sure it fits!) and get some good deals. My jacket, gloves, pants, boots and Helmet came out to $650, and they're all pretty good quality.

The bike is the big thing, though. If you have all the gear but no bike, you're just a Power Ranger after all, right? If you get an older bike thats been sitting for a while, tires, oil, seals and whatnot add up quick. If you get a bike thats already running well though, it's all just gravy.