Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh goddamn it.

I was going to say "If you want to see how awesome Mono (and a bunch of other bands are) live, go to fabchannel, they record excellent quality concerts of every band that plays this one venue in Amsterdam".

Then I went to check and make sure it was still there and apparently all the major and indie labels basically told them to gently caress off because they weren't making any money off it.

Now I'm loving depressed. I guess I'll go listen to some post-rock. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
interesting you would all say mono is good live because I have their euro tour dvd and it's boring as heck (partial sarcasm)

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Capitan Dad posted:

interesting you would all say mono is good live because I have their euro tour dvd and it's boring as heck (partial sarcasm)

Maybe it's because you're watching a DVD.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Capitan Dad posted:

Fast-forward to the loud parts.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

albear posted:

Maybe it's because you're watching a DVD.

As opposed to watching them live.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
neither the crowd or band moves around any they all look freakin stoned

that's what my bloody valentine was like though and it was pretty unreal

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Capitan Dad posted:

That's probably because they are.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Capitan Dad posted:

And this bothers you why...?

Or maybe they aren't like most bands and they actually focus on playing good music live instead of smashing guitars and crowd-surfing?

Edit: I'm going to whine, bitch, and moan until one post-rock band hits Indiana/Kentucky. Russian Circles had a show about an hour away from me, but 21+ only. I don't look 21 :mad:

Jetstar fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 10, 2009

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jetstar posted:

Edit: I'm going to whine, bitch, and moan until one post-rock band hits Indiana/Kentucky.

Errrr. Post-rock bands play Louisville all the time, duder. Slint, Rex, Rodan, him, and that whole crew are even from there (though I'm pretty sure all of them moved away by now, I know him is based in NYC now).

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

Honestly, I don't care about most of the lack of stage presence from some post rock bands. Other genres, yeah, sure, but I have no problem with build-ups being a little low-key in terms of excitement among the crowd.

secondhand dog fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 10, 2009

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

precision posted:

Errrr. Post-rock bands play Louisville all the time, duder. Slint, Rex, Rodan, him, and that whole crew are even from there (though I'm pretty sure all of them moved away by now, I know him is based in NYC now).

That's good and all, but I'm not a huge fan of those dudes.

Had no idea Slint was from Kentucky, though.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
The new Do Make Say Think album is pretty loving awesome. One of my favorite albums of the year, and by the band in general.

wlokos
Nov 12, 2007

Rhg0061r posted:

Sounds like you just don't like post rock tbh.

...no, that isn't it at all, I just don't like bland and boring post rock ala mono when there's unique stuff out there that isn't just "how simple and mellow can we be until we aren't", like for example the amazing band The Six Parts Seven.

I need to check out the new Do Make Say Think, I didn't realize that was out.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

wlokos posted:

...no, that isn't it at all, I just don't like bland and boring post rock ala mono

One person's "bland and boring" is another person's "atmospheric", but I see what you're saying. This is a great time to bring up Constellation's famous quote about post-rock:

Constellation Records posted:

This is our 'post-rock' -- a term that must be construed politically in equal measure to its referencing of some diffuse 'instrumental' or 'deconstructed' musical aesthetic. 'Indie rock' was never a genre and its bastardisation as an aesthetic category was one of countless elegant corporate-intellectual coups during the 1990s. Sadly, all too many hipper-than-now taste-makers were happily complicit, ready to replace 'indie' with 'post' and thus help extinguish any abiding concern about the economies that ground and contextualise rock music. So gently caress post-rock, and the smooth untroubled consumption it enables.

So, what do you think of Disco Inferno?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

To be honest I never got what the big fuss was about the term "post-rock." Yeah it is a poor catch-all for a lot of diverse bands with very different sounds and styles, but "instrumental rock" isn't a very accurate term to describe a lot of those bands either, since some aren't instrumental and many of them don't have much in common with rock.

I always zone out every time I listen to Mono, their songs always sound kind of the same to me (same thing happens with This Will Destroy You when I listen to them). The only Mono album I really liked was their Hey, You EP.

Mary Chain
Sep 5, 2006

by Ozma

Mary Chain fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 6, 2011

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

wlokos posted:

bland and boring
Do Make Say Think

:irony:

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.
Pelican updated on facebook to link to this.

I am honestly excited about this album, it cannot come soon enough.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mary Chain posted:

I don't see the big deal anyway, if someone talks about post-rock music you know what kind of music they mean.

Please explain to me how Disco Inferno sounds anything like Mogwai.

I don't want to make a big argument about this, but you do really have to be more specific than just "post-rock", especially if you're talking about the original kind or the "post-GY!BE" kind. Even a band like Tarentel - their first album was "basic" post-rock, but then you get to their later stuff and it's all abrasive and sounds like early industrial music more than anything.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Souldark posted:

Pelican updated on facebook to link to this.

I am honestly excited about this album, it cannot come soon enough.

gently caress YES :rock:

Between this and Strung Up From The Sky, I'm so excited for this album. It's like the perfect mix of City Of Echoes and Australasia.

I also hope I get to see them live again. Saw them at Spanish Moon in Baton Rouge in late May. They melted my loving face off. And then Isis played right after them! I didn't have an ounce of energy left after that show.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

precision posted:

Please explain to me how Disco Inferno sounds anything like Mogwai.

I don't want to make a big argument about this, but you do really have to be more specific than just "post-rock", especially if you're talking about the original kind or the "post-GY!BE" kind. Even a band like Tarentel - their first album was "basic" post-rock, but then you get to their later stuff and it's all abrasive and sounds like early industrial music more than anything.

Where I disagree with you is that I don't think looking at a band's genre based on elements of its sound manages to describe what their songs' goals are. Disco Inferno and Mogwai don't sound anything alike, yeah, but they both have similar approaches to making music: their songs strive to be musically interesting, avoid verse-chorus constraints, use vocals sparingly but effectively, and try to create a real atmosphere for the listener. I think those four elements are what makes a post-rock band and that's always what I've taken post-rock to be.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
I made a quick flip through this thread and I didn't see much mention of Kinski. They were the band that got me started on post-rock, and while they may not necessarily be post rock themselves (I am terrible at genre classification so please be harsh if I'm wrong here), I've found out about Mogwai and Red Sparowes through them, among others, so I figured I may as well rep them here. Since I'm very new to post-rock and experimental music, where might I go from here? I'm on the lookout for stuff from the OP right now. I enjoy the Red Sparowes' more powerful presentation to Mogwai's seeming tendency to go quiet/loud/quiet/loud (I've not listened to very much of Mogwai, so if there's a particular album I should try to pick up or I'm totally missing something, by all means tell me.) Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Mogwai, but my preference for music is maybe a little more powerful or possibly just faster paced than their style strikes me.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
But Kinski has some pretty slow paced songs as well (She Always Made Us Work Like Dogs, Your Lights Are Out or Burning Badly).

If you're looking for stuff closer to their faster songs (like Hot Stenographer?), you might enjoy 65daysofstatic.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

Jan posted:

But Kinski has some pretty slow paced songs as well (She Always Made Us Work Like Dogs, Your Lights Are Out or Burning Badly).

If you're looking for stuff closer to their faster songs (like Hot Stenographer?), you might enjoy 65daysofstatic.

I know. I do like slow paced songs, I suppose I just have difficulty enjoying the "one guitar playing in the distance" vibe I get out of some of the post-rock I've been listening to, if that makes sense. Maybe I like more complexity to the music? I find it difficult to explain well.

I don't actually care for Hot Stenographer, it just rubs me the wrong way, but for reference the songs I've really enjoyed from Kinski are Floundering and Fluctuating, Losing Touch With My Mind, and Newport. In fact the entire Spacelaunch for Frenchie album is really great. I'll definitely check out 65daysofstatic, thanks for the recommendation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yuravian posted:

Maybe I like more complexity to the music?

Check out A Minor Forest.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
I don't think I've seen any talk of The Samuel Jackson Five in here, but they're my new favorite post-rock band. I haven't really heard much like them, but I'd highly recommend them to anyone into post-rock. They're all pretty great musicians and write interesting parts in every song, so their songs aren't dominated by any one instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvAX0DIodso&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t1K4F-Gaa8

Easily Misunderstood is my favorite of their three albums, but they're all phenomenal and really manage to hold my attention much longer than most post-rock I've heard.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Is anybody going to 10 years of ATP? Loads of postrock going on there, can't wait for it!

What I really came here to post though, was that the new Russian Circles sounds amazing.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007
The new Russian Circles album Geneva leaked.

I'm only three tracks in, but it's really excellent so far. It's pretty much what you expect from Russian Circles. They do use some more calm sounds on the album, but it only helps to contrast the heavier sections. And they are heavy as gently caress.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Dig the gently caress out of the new Russian Circles album. Going to see em in about a month and can't wait for it.

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?
New Russian Circles is great, just as good as their last two. I'll be listening to this one a lot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

On track 5 of 7 of the new Russian Circles now. It's not going to beat Caspian's Tertia as Post-Rock Album Of The Year for me, but it's pretty good so far.

Also, I'm seeing Mono in less thsn 24 hours. CANNOT loving WAIT.

edit: Tracks 6 and 7 of the new Russian Circles album are clearly the standouts. Track 6, When The Mountain Comes To Muhammed, is the hardest-rocking. And Track 7, Philos, is, for lack of a better word, epic. The strings are incredible on this one.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 23, 2009

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I didn't like Station, will I like the new album? Asking this because I don't know whether to buy it or not. I thought their other albums were fine, though.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jetstar posted:

I didn't like Station, will I like the new album? Asking this because I don't know whether to buy it or not. I thought their other albums were fine, though.

I've always thought their older stuff is good, but not the kind of stuff that could get stuck in my head. This new album is the real deal.

The Dirtyness
Sep 13, 2007

Jetstar posted:

This one has more of a mix of the awesome crushing riffs and the epic buildups rather than just being pure metal like Station was for the most part. It's really great from start to finish. I can't decide which tracks I like best but I keep going back to Melee and Malko.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Agreed. I wasn't too much of a fan of Station and loved Enter. This album is glorious.

EDIT: Anyone know how they are gonna do some of these live? Would be great if they had a small string section.

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 24, 2009

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Thanks for the advice, dudes. I'll check it out :)

Great news for all Angel Eyes fans:

http://www.vanfuckingcleef.com/?p=181

quote:

Just a quick update to let the small number of people who might read this know we’re not dead.

We’re currently drilling songs for recording. We hope to go into the studio at the end of this year, sometime, then have the new record out in the first chunk of 2010, followed by playing some shows. We’re very happy with the songs, we’re very happy with the addition of Bob to the band, and we’re very happy with the fact that U.S. Christmas is coming to Chicago again (with Earthless, no less!).

I can't wait for this.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

The new Russian Circles album is awesome, thanks for the heads up..

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got back from seeing MONO in Baton Rouge (front row!). Holy loving God it was amazing. They played with such emotion that it was absolutely mindblowing. I'm kind of at a loss for words right now because that show completely drained me.

Here's the setlist, with my favorites being marked by asterisks:

1) Ashes In The Snow *
2) Burial At Sea
3) Follow The Map
4) Yearning *
5) The Battle To Heaven
6) Halo
7) Halcyon *

I'm gonna give Hymn To The Immortal Wind another shot later on. What I'd heard of it in the past didn't impress me much, but then again I never listened to it all the way through, and the songs they played tonight from that album were so loving fantastic.

Go see them if you get the chance!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

The Dirtyness posted:

This one has more of a mix of the awesome crushing riffs and the epic buildups rather than just being pure metal like Station was for the most part. It's really great from start to finish. I can't decide which tracks I like best but I keep going back to Melee and Malko.

Station was not pure metal.......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm gonna give Hymn To The Immortal Wind another shot later on.

You really should; to me it was another reminder that, at this point, they are the undisputed heavyweight champions of post-rock (or at least, that specific post-GY!BE/Mogwai flavor; I wouldn't say I like Mono better than ASMZ, but there's not much to compare those two against each other).