Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sid Meier Jr.
Aug 9, 2003

So I have a choice between buying a generic brand replacement lamp at $200 or an original at $300 for my HD1000U. I'm probably leaning towards the original, is it worth the extra $100?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatum
Apr 24, 2003

King Hotpants posted:

The only other cheap 1080p that I know of is the Sanyo PLV-Z700, which reputable dealers are carrying for around $1600.

As far as other top of the line 720p projectors, I really do think that the Epson 720/Sanyo Z60 are at the top of the pile and likely to remain there for quite some time. There's not a lot of attention being paid to the 720p market right now - partially because everyone wants 1080p, and partially because the bottom dropped out on the pricing so there's very little money to be made there.

If it were my money, I'd get a 720p projector now and put the extra into the new projector fund, then upgrade in two or three years. Or buy your significant other something nice. I don't know.

If I were to increase my budget to $2,000, what would you recommend? The Sanyo PLV-Z700 does look pretty decent, as does the Epson Home Cinema 6100. Do you have any experience with the Epson, or have any info on how it will compare with the Sanyo?

From an initial reading, it sounds like the Epson is the way to go for a room with more light, but has higher noise output. We're going to be sitting ~5 feet from the projector, how big of a factor will the noise increase be?

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

The only noise number I can find on the Z700 is 23db in eco mode. I'm assuming it's around 30 regularly.

If I don't learn of any major problems I missed with it, or if nothing better comes out, I'm buying a PLV-Z700 in the next few weeks. Hopefully it'll be perfect for what I need, and going from just the negative reviews I've read it still sounds like an awesome projector.

Only thing that's ticking me off is the Z700/1080hd thing. If you can't find a z700 you like, look for a sanyo plv-1080hd, it's the same projector with a different colored face and a 2 year warranty instead of 3 years. Amazon/best buy wanted one to carry that nobody else had so Sanyo put out some Z700s with a new model number just for them.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Tatum posted:

If I were to increase my budget to $2,000, what would you recommend? The Sanyo PLV-Z700 does look pretty decent, as does the Epson Home Cinema 6100. Do you have any experience with the Epson, or have any info on how it will compare with the Sanyo?

From an initial reading, it sounds like the Epson is the way to go for a room with more light, but has higher noise output. We're going to be sitting ~5 feet from the projector, how big of a factor will the noise increase be?

The 6100 has a better looking picture, but I've noticed a tendency for some Epson 6-series projectors to drop out of focus, subtlely and slowly, over the course of about half an hour. Some are really awful and some don't do it at all. It's not a huge deal, but if you are super nitpicky you might notice it.

That said, I'm using a 6100 at home right now.

Noise isn't going to be a factor. Monkey Lincoln, I really doubt it's 30dB in full power; more like 25-26dB. It's really, really quiet.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I guess I've never understood the whole noise rating thing. I mean maybe I just listen to the volume far too loudly but I can't hear my projector (HC1500) when watching a movie and I think it is loud as hell compared to most.

It seems like that would be the last little detail I would look at and it would only sway me if every other specification were identical between two projectors I was comparing.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Scrapez posted:

It seems like that would be the last little detail I would look at and it would only sway me if every other specification were identical between two projectors I was comparing.

All else being equal, a higher noise rating can be indicative of a higher operating temperature/more heat exhaust. In a small room, that can be a big deal. Hell, I have a fairly large room (12' x 20') and it still heats up quite a bit during the course of a movie.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah...that's a good point. My theater is in my basement and it stays nice and cool down there even in the middle of summer. I hadn't thought of that angle, though.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

King Hotpants, do you have any experience reviewing larger scale projectors?

I work in a conference center and we're looking at replacing our Sharp XG-C58X. It's getting progressively dimmer on a bulb with only ~200 hours used on it, and it's giving a yellowish cast on one side, most noticeable when showing black & white films. Since the pj's pushing six years old, we thought it might be just as cost effective to get a new one as getting it repaired. Would you agree?

If you have any recommendations, here's the situation:

-- 49' throw
-- 216" screen (18' by 12')
-- current pj is 3300 lumens
-- fully adjustable lighting
-- mix of Powerpoint (where we want some lights on) and films (total dark)
-- ceiling/wall mount
-- probably gets anywhere from 4 to 24 hours of use weekly

I appreciate any help. I just got this position wherein I buy the AV gear, it's a non-profit, and I'm trying to not blow a zillion dollars on something that might not work right.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
While I don't have a lot of experience with the really big equipment, I can tell you a few things:

• Lamps lose a significant amount of brightness in the first 200 hours; this is normal.
  • The fact that it's an LCD, several years old, and turning yellow tells me that the blue polarizer is probably failing. Organic LCD panels eventually degrade, and the brighter the projector is, the faster it happens. Getting it repaired will not be cost-effective and you should definitely get a new one. I'd look at DLP.

Sorry I can't help more, like with specific suggestions, but it's not an area I deal with very often.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

King Hotpants posted:

Sorry I can't help more, like with specific suggestions, but it's not an area I deal with very often.

No worries, if nothing else you confirmed my thinking that we should just pony up for a new pj. Thanks!

Oh, one other question: we've got a tele-zoom lens for the existing Sharp that allowed for proper screen fill. Would you advise sticking with another Sharp, for the sake of keeping that lens? Are lenses usually interchangeable or proprietary, w/r/t make and model?

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

I put in a bunch of bids on Sanyo PLV-Z700 projectors, lost them all (I was kinda lowballing), good thing though...

http://www.twice.com/article/315896-Vivitek_To_Ship_999_1080p_DLP_Projector.php

quote:

As part of that effort, Vivitek unveiled this week its latest FullHD 1080p home-theater projector - model H1080FD FullHD - which will be introduced in August at a $999 suggested retail.

The 1080p projector is based on Texas Instruments' S450 chip/light-engine design with Dark Chip II technology.

Features include 1,800 lumens of brightness and a 5,000:1 contrast ratio.
I/O ports include: two HDMI inputs, composite video, S-video, and component video inputs, RS-232c data control and a 12v trigger.
Lamp life is rated at 3,000 hours
noise level is listed at 29dB

If the reviews come in strong I think I've found my new projector.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Do the +$3k projectors use longer lasting bulbs then say the lower end models? Meaning will bulb life be longer on the higher end projectors?

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I'm about to move into a new apartment and I'm thinking about upgrading from my 32" tv to a bigger one (around 46") or to a projector. I read the first couple pages of the thread but wasn't sure if the recommendations back then still held true for now. I'd mainly be using it for watching tv (possibly HD, haven't decided on that) playing Xbox360 and I'm also considering getting a PS3 for bluray. The room it would be in has about 11 feet from wall to wall with a sliding glass door out to the deck on the wall connecting those two walls. The window faces southwest so I'd put the image on the wall that wouldn't get direct light, and there's also blinds that can cover the glass to block most of any other ambient light.

Based on all that, I'm not sure which specs would be the best fit for me. Would I be able to tell the difference between a 720p and a 1080p image on the high-definition content? Price-wise, I'd be very comfortable spending $700-800, fine with spending up to $1000, with $1200-1300 being a fairly hard cutoff. I'm looking for something mid-range that would be suitable for casual tv/movie watching and video games. Any suggestions?

Edit: My friend has an Epson one, I don't remember which model. So I was looking around on Amazon and was wondering what's the difference between this Epson 720p and this one. Is the first just the newer version of the second?

Kloaked00 fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 27, 2009

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Monkey Lincoln posted:

I put in a bunch of bids on Sanyo PLV-Z700 projectors, lost them all (I was kinda lowballing), good thing though...

http://www.twice.com/article/315896-Vivitek_To_Ship_999_1080p_DLP_Projector.php

If the reviews come in strong I think I've found my new projector.

That doesn't look very impressive, and Vivitek hasn't impressed me very often in the past, so I'd be a little skeptical until someone actually sees it.

stgdz posted:

Do the +$3k projectors use longer lasting bulbs then say the lower end models? Meaning will bulb life be longer on the higher end projectors?

Price has nothing to do with lamp life. Lamp life has to do with lamp life. Right now, the absolute longest lamp life you will see on any projector that uses a high-pressure lamp is about 6,000 hours, and that's rare.

People pay way too much attention to lamp life. Yeah, the lamp will eventually go out. However, normal lamp life for home theater projectors now is something like 3,000 or 4,000 hours. Do you have any idea how long that actually is? 3,000 hours is one two-hour movie per night, every night, for the next four years.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Kloaked00 posted:

I'm about to move into a new apartment and I'm thinking about upgrading from my 32" tv to a bigger one (around 46") or to a projector. I read the first couple pages of the thread but wasn't sure if the recommendations back then still held true for now. I'd mainly be using it for watching tv (possibly HD, haven't decided on that) playing Xbox360 and I'm also considering getting a PS3 for bluray. The room it would be in has about 11 feet from wall to wall with a sliding glass door out to the deck on the wall connecting those two walls. The window faces southwest so I'd put the image on the wall that wouldn't get direct light, and there's also blinds that can cover the glass to block most of any other ambient light.

Based on all that, I'm not sure which specs would be the best fit for me. Would I be able to tell the difference between a 720p and a 1080p image on the high-definition content? Price-wise, I'd be very comfortable spending $700-800, fine with spending up to $1000, with $1200-1300 being a fairly hard cutoff. I'm looking for something mid-range that would be suitable for casual tv/movie watching and video games. Any suggestions?

Edit: My friend has an Epson one, I don't remember which model. So I was looking around on Amazon and was wondering what's the difference between this Epson 720p and this one. Is the first just the newer version of the second?

I don't see a lot of HD content listed, so I'd go with the first Epson you linked and be happy with that.

The second one you linked is not a newer version of the first. It's a "home entertainment" projector, which is designed for people who don't want to watch movies, but do want to put a big picture on the wall. It's super bright, but the contrast is pretty blah. It's based on their business projectors, but it's WXGA. Very good for what it is, but not the same as the first one.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Does the mono price mount offer adjustability and locking it into place? The video I saw on youtube doesn't inspire confidence with me.

stgdz fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Aug 4, 2009

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
What would you guys recommend from the used market for around $500-600. I'd like 720p LCD or DLP, and my only real requirement is that if its DLP, it is at least a 4x color wheel.

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

greasyhands posted:

What would you guys recommend from the used market for around $500-600. I'd like 720p LCD or DLP, and my only real requirement is that if its DLP, it is at least a 4x color wheel.

If you can spring for a bit more, Optoma HD65 is a great 720p DLP with a 4 color wheel, but at $600 you may only be able to find one used, since they're about $750 new on Amazon.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
A guy on one of the A/V boards I read is selling a Sanyo PLV-Z60. I should note that I have no association with this guy and have no idea of the quality of this particular projector. The model itself is great from the reviews I've read.

Just a friendly pass along of a used deal I saw.

http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1774

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Is the HC1500 still a good option if I can get it around $500 with a low time bulb?

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

greasyhands posted:

Is the HC1500 still a good option if I can get it around $500 with a low time bulb?

I can't tell you how it stacks up to other projectors on the used market for value.

I do have an HC1500 in my theater and I have been very pleased with mine. I've not had any problems with it, it is very bright and the picture is really good.

I'm projecting on a 135" blackout cloth screen and it looks very good with both TV and movies.

CHUMPVILLE
Feb 25, 2006
YOUR FAVOURITE
I have a question about my HD projector for anyone who might be in the know, a BenQ PE7700 - I've had it for a good three years or so and never had any hassel, and recently I started getting a warning that the bulb's life has expired and must be replaced. Checking in the projector menus it says the current bulb life has been 1957 hours, although I have noticed little loss of brightness, so I'm wondering:

- Should I wait for the bulb to "blow" before replacing it, or should I replace it now even though I've noticed little degradation of the picture quality/brightness?

- If the bulb "blows" does it risk any damage to my projector? What does the bulb "blowing" entail?

- Do these warnings come up based on actual diagnostic, or just at a specific time in the life of the bulb (i.e. 1950 hours)?

Thanks for any and all help!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Projectors usually have an internal timer that counts run time and warns you at a specific manufacturers recommendation. I think my AX200U is set to warn me at 2000 hours. You don't have any risk of internal damage if the bulb blows, as it's in its own enclosure. If you haven't noticed any dimming I'd let it run until it blows but maybe have a replacement bulb already purchased and at the ready. That is, if you're planning on sticking with the same projector. You may want to look into what your money can buy you nowadays in the low to mid end projector market. You may be nicely surprised at what's available for around a thousand bucks.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
Anyone tried out the Optoma HD20 yet? I'll post pictures of my setup soon, but wanted opinions on the projector, or any recommendations on a possible better fit for my living room.

I have a large living room with a 17.5' throw from the back wall giving a 134" Diagonal and a 117" Width with 16:9 and max zoom. My ceiling is tilted and fairly high so ceiling mount closer to the wall will be very hard. There are 2 sliding glass doors leading to my shady back yard and then a window in the kitchen. I probably can't get rid of all of the light but there won't be a lot. Viewing distance will probably be ~10'.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
I've recently looked at the HD20. If you are not sensitive to rainbows, it's a great little machine. Maybe I've gotten more sensitive over time, or something, but I saw plenty of rainbows and it's supposed to be a 4x speed machine.

Murder McMurderson
Aug 6, 2005

So... We meet again, Doctor Jones.
So there are three $999 1080p projectors coming out this month from Optoma, Vivitek and BenQ. I'm definitely going to buy one, but I want to read some reviews first. The Vivitek seems to have the best specs, but there are no reviews so far. Are the projectors from Vivitek usually good?

Here's a video of the Optoma playing next to a high-end model. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmLe1M3x_w

Murder McMurderson fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 2, 2009

rockarocka
Dec 8, 2003

I'm looking at getting a lower end projector. Approximately $2000 AU.

Is it a good idea to purchase a refurbished or factory second projector? And if so is the Epson EH-TW3000 something that would be good to shoot for? It's currently on the Epson site for $2099.

I am also considering the Panasonic AX200E (European version of AX200U) as suggested all over the place in this thread which is currently going for around $2000AU.

I don't think I would specifically need a 1080p projector, but if it is affordable it'd be nice.

RU 187 261 LIB
Feb 20, 2009

M is for MURDER

Murder McMurderson posted:

So there are three $999 1080p projectors coming out this month from Optoma, Vivitek and BenQ. I'm definitely going to buy one, but I want to read some reviews first. The Vivitek seems to have the best specs, but there are no reviews so far. Are the projectors from Vivitek usually good?

Here's a video of the Optoma playing next to a high-end model. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCmLe1M3x_w

Interested to hear about rainbows on these, color wheel specs, whatever. Just know about the Optoma so far. Where can you demo a projector, anyway? Will retail stores show them off for you like that?

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

rockarocka posted:

I'm looking at getting a lower end projector. Approximately $2000 AU.

Is it a good idea to purchase a refurbished or factory second projector? And if so is the Epson EH-TW3000 something that would be good to shoot for? It's currently on the Epson site for $2099.

I am also considering the Panasonic AX200E (European version of AX200U) as suggested all over the place in this thread which is currently going for around $2000AU.

I don't think I would specifically need a 1080p projector, but if it is affordable it'd be nice.

Just my own anecdotal experience, my AX200U is still super bright and looks great at 700 hours on the bulb.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Murder McMurderson posted:

The Optoma HD20 looks very nice, but it's a 4x wheel. Maybe I've just grown used to 5x and 6x wheels but I saw some rainbows.

There are no reviews of the Vivitek because they haven't shipped any of them yet. I'm still waiting on one. Vivitek has been making some impressive stuff lately but I still wouldn't buy one on faith. Just because a company is good doesn't mean they can't occasionally gently caress up.

Edit: I was going to make fun of that video but I can't work up the necessary vitriol. Suffice it to say I think taking video of a projector is ridiculous.

King Hotpants fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 3, 2009

Meth Rollins
Jun 24, 2005
I've been wanting a projector for a while but I don't really know much about them for the most part. I want to project it on a blank white wall that is about 115" diagonal and about 23 feet away from where I'll sit. I really have my eye on the Optoma HD20 or any 1080p projector for $999. Should I go with that or can someone suggest better for not much more money? Also would it be cool to just project it onto the wall or would I need to shell out for a screen?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I am part way through reconfiguring my lounge for my new AV setup. The projector that I'm considering is an Epson EB-W6. Basically it's a TFT projector which can output 1280 x 800, so can handle 720p. The price is good and appears to be half the price of projectors suitable for 1080.

It seems to be the best of the low end projectors and the only one that I can find which does widescreen without costing a fortune.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

GOOCHY posted:

A guy on one of the A/V boards I read is selling a Sanyo PLV-Z60. I should note that I have no association with this guy and have no idea of the quality of this particular projector. The model itself is great from the reviews I've read.

Just a friendly pass along of a used deal I saw.

http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1774

does anyone think this is worth it? How well does a $600 NEW projector hold up against this?? like an optoma.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Omegaslast posted:

does anyone think this is worth it? How well does a $600 NEW projector hold up against this?? like an optoma.

The projectors are two different categories so apples to pears.

The Sanyo native resolution is 1280 x 720 and is LCD. Contrast ratio 10000:1

The Optoma native resolution is 1920x1080 and is DLP. Contrast ratio 4000:1

If you don't have issues with the rainbow effect from DLP and can handle the refresh rate then the choice is simple go with the Optoma.

E: there is a difference in contrast ratio that you would notice in a very dark room.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Devian666 posted:

The projectors are two different categories so apples to pears.

The Sanyo native resolution is 1280 x 720 and is LCD. Contrast ratio 10000:1

The Optoma native resolution is 1920x1080 and is DLP. Contrast ratio 4000:1

If you don't have issues with the rainbow effect from DLP and can handle the refresh rate then the choice is simple go with the Optoma.

E: there is a difference in contrast ratio that you would notice in a very dark room.

i meant a $600 optoma not an HD20. I dont really have an interest in 1080p right now. One thing im having an issue with is whats the cheapest screen out there? I know theres cheap DIY solutions that require making your own frame and stuff but is there anything easier than that? Im only going to be in a location for a year or so and dont want to spend a bunch of hours building a DIY screen for me not to be able to take it with me after a year.

edit: read the thread a bit, looks like black out cloth is the way to go. Im thinking around a 92" screen (which is about 6 and a half feet tall so i can fit it through doorways easily). the throw distance will be about 14-15 feet.

im also looking at the epson home cinema 720 which i can get for $800 from tigerdirect after cashback. combine that with the rebate for a free bulb (which is like $300) im looking at a 720p projector for $500. Is there any big flaws with the epson compared to the sanyo? this is going to be probably used mainly for xbox 360... right now the $800 price with free bulb is looking mighty tempting.

edit 2: http://www.visualapex.com/accessories/accessory_details.asp?chpartnumber=V13H010L39&Type=LCD_Lamps

is this the cheapest place to get lamps? $350? my god. i guess when both lamps die in like 6 years i just wont buy another one and instead will get a 1080p projector for like $500.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 14, 2009

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

I think you'd be really happy with the Epson HC720 - it's a really nice projector with a nice, sharp image. Real bang for the buck right there, for sure.

It was between the Panasonic AX200U and the Epson HC720 when I was making my purchasing decision and I ended up going with the AX200U due to seating distance limitations. I needed that "smoothscreen" just a little bit more than the average user probably would because the front row was pretty close. If my seating was a little bit further back I would have gone the HC720 route.

The image quality on the AX200U is quite impressive, though. Even last night, watching the Bears vs. Vikings game I remarked a couple times to my wife that it just looked spectacular.

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 14, 2009

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

GOOCHY posted:

I think you'd be really happy with the Epson HC720 - it's a really nice projector with a nice, sharp image. Real bang for the buck right there, for sure.

It was between the Panasonic AX200U and the Epson HC720 when I was making my purchasing decision and I ended up going with the AX200U due to seating distance limitations. I needed that "smoothscreen" just a little bit more than the average user probably would because the front row was pretty close. If my seating was a little bit further back I would have gone the HC720 route.

The image quality on the AX200U is quite impressive, though. Even last night, watching the Bears vs. Vikings game I remarked a couple times to my wife that it just looked spectacular.

the main draw of the epson is its the cheapest "good" 720p that appears to be out there. I wish instead of having a bulb rebate they just gave it to me for cheaper, considering i really couldnt see myself buying a $300 bulb for a 720p projector in 2 years or whatever when the drat projector wont even be worth $300 by itself.

Commander Jebus
Sep 9, 2001

You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought...

While it's priced a little above most of the projectors discussed here (especially here in Canada), I just picked up the Panasonic PT-AE3000U and it is awesome. Much like GOOCHY, I sit pretty close to the screen (~11Ft from a 106" screen) and the Smoothscreen technology really helps, and the visual quality is stunning.

Recommended for anyone looking for a mid-range 1080p projector. Plus with the new -4000 series coming out in the fall (which is only incrementally upgraded) you can probably snag a good deal on one.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Omegaslast posted:

the main draw of the epson is its the cheapest "good" 720p that appears to be out there. I wish instead of having a bulb rebate they just gave it to me for cheaper, considering i really couldnt see myself buying a $300 bulb for a 720p projector in 2 years or whatever when the drat projector wont even be worth $300 by itself.

Once you see it in action you might change your mind. I'm definitely running at least one more bulb life through the AX200U. The image quality on this unit is good enough for me to stick with until 1080P is the only option. Hopefully, LED projectors will be mainstream by the time I'm back in the projector market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Omegaslast posted:

The Epson Home Cinema 720 is one of my favorite 720p projectors. I still have one around here somewhere.

Also, consider this: the lamp is supposed to last 3,000 hours, and costs $350 to replace. Even if we assume that the lamp flames out after 2,000 hours, that's one movie per night, every night of the year, without exception, for two years and nine months. Starting today, you can grumble about lamp replacements some time in 2012.

People tend to see the price attached to lamp replacement and freak out when they probably shouldn't. Throw a quarter in a jar every time you watch a movie and you'll have enough for a new lamp by the time the current one blows out. You'll also get to see what $350 in quarters looks like.

• Locked thread