Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joevandyk
Feb 17, 2007
Hi,

Is this a good deal? http://tinyurl.com/2252td

Looking for a projector that would be a good value. Also would need a good screen.

joevandyk fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joevandyk
Feb 17, 2007
I guess I'm blind and can't find the 'edit' link.

Non-broken link here: http://tinyurl.com/2252td

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

joevandyk posted:

I guess I'm blind and can't find the 'edit' link.

Non-broken link here: http://tinyurl.com/2252td

Your broken link hid the edit button. It's way off to the right.

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Panasonic PT-AX200U.

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
pants included at no extra charge
^^^ Hell yes.

I've got the 100, the only change in the new model is an extra HDMI port, I guess they just couldn't improve perfection.

Well, it's not perfect, but it's drat good, and the lens shift and big zoom range is heavenly.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
For $1200, you want the Panasonic AX100, Panasonic AX200, or Sanyo Z5. Z5 is best for dark rooms, AX100 is a good compromise, and AX200 is good for rooms with moderate ambient light (but black level isn't as good).

For $999, you want the Mitsubishi HC1500, period.

joevandyk
Feb 17, 2007
Are those better values than http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-HD70-720p-Theater-Projector/dp/B000IEN8QQ/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1197063343&sr=8-1 ? $800 after rebate.

joevandyk
Feb 17, 2007
How about good values for projector screens?

.Nathan.
Jun 29, 2004

by Fistgrrl

joevandyk posted:

How about good values for projector screens?

I hear good things about the Optoma Graywolf II as far as value for money. Not sure what size you're looking for but they're pretty cheap and range in size from 92"-120".

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

The HD70 is pretty good, and Optoma is a good company, but the HC1500 is brighter and has far better color. Whether it's worth the extra or not is up to you, but it is to me.

For screens, you could either go with the Graywolf, or roll your own. You can build a fixed-frame screen for about $100, or use the Goo Systems paint and just use your wall. It's not a Stewart, but it'll work fine.

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Wow. I'm glad I found this thread. I need a new projector for work and I was just getting ready to post a thread asking what I should go with.

I'm going to go with the Mitsubishi HC1500. Thanks. :D

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
Big news in the projector world:

1080p is now below $2000.

Mitsubishi's HC4900 has an official street price of $2495, but Mits is running a $500 mail-in rebate, making it $1995.

Two years ago, 1080p projectors were $10,000 and up. Sub-$2K has never happened before.

Auu
Sep 22, 2004

King Hotpants posted:

Big news in the projector world:

1080p is now below $2000.

Mitsubishi's HC4900 has an official street price of $2495, but Mits is running a $500 mail-in rebate, making it $1995.

Two years ago, 1080p projectors were $10,000 and up. Sub-$2K has never happened before.

The Sanyo PLV-Z2000 1080p projector is around this price also, after rebate.

As an aside, King Hotpants, your suggestion in my earlier thread (I haven't abandoned it!) has pretty much sold me on the Pana PT-AE2000U. It and the screen (which I'm going to try to make after getting the projector) are the only two pieces of the HT left to buy, and I'm terribly afraid that as soon as I buy the thing, they'll throw out one of these ~$500 rebates to compete with the above value 1080p projectors, and I'll cry myself to sleep that much poorer :) It's almost impossible to find that one for less than the standard price; c'est la vie.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Auu posted:

The Sanyo PLV-Z2000 1080p projector is around this price also, after rebate.

As an aside, King Hotpants, your suggestion in my earlier thread (I haven't abandoned it!) has pretty much sold me on the Pana PT-AE2000U. It and the screen (which I'm going to try to make after getting the projector) are the only two pieces of the HT left to buy, and I'm terribly afraid that as soon as I buy the thing, they'll throw out one of these ~$500 rebates to compete with the above value 1080p projectors, and I'll cry myself to sleep that much poorer :) It's almost impossible to find that one for less than the standard price; c'est la vie.

I'll give you a little tip I learned about buying HT equipment:

Pick what you want, at the price you want it, purchase it, and NEVER LOOK AT NEW EQUIPMENT AGAIN until it's time to upgrade. If you hang out on AVS or whatever, you'll never be happy with your purchase, ever. Just buy it, hook it up, and enjoy.

joevandyk
Feb 17, 2007
Am I going to hate myself for getting a 720p projector for a 100" screen as opposed to a 1080p one? I'm not a videophile really, and the $1k difference can really be spent on other good things.

Stranger
Jun 15, 2001
I enjoy posting while drunk. Also, I'm a
MORON

joevandyk posted:

Am I going to hate myself for getting a 720p projector for a 100" screen as opposed to a 1080p one? I'm not a videophile really, and the $1k difference can really be spent on other good things.

Cant really tell you that, i went with a 1080p projector mainly because i also use it with the computer. I mean if your just watching video, then at that size the quality difference isnt huge, i can see the difference between them. But its not in anyway as huge as the difference between 576p and 720p.

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006

joevandyk posted:

No. Not especially if you're used to a small SD TV anyway. You'll have more trouble finding content that actually approaches the resolution of the projector anyway. A lot of stuff is marketed as HD but the source material isn't that great.

One of the few really good bits of HD content I have is Transformers, and it looks glorious in 720p. I can't imagine what 1080p would look like.

I personally dont think it's neccesary to go to 1080p to try and "future proof" oneself as before too long we'll see 2K and 4K projectors to suit the new generation of HD filmmaking (Red camera, etc)

Benjammin
Mar 6, 2004
The Dude Abides
Chiming in to say that I just picked up the HD70 and sweet mother of god is this thing amazing. Blacks are pitch status and the colors are loving beautiful. This is my first projector so I can't really provide much input as far as decision making goes, but this thing is seriously all I could ask for.

I have my pc connected via DVI to HDMI. However, I don't know the correct settings to use with my video card, nVidia 7900GT, so I have to use 1 device at a time. ie. monitor when I am using the computer/internet and HD70 when I game/view movies. The reason is that I can't run both in the "clone" mode without my monitor having to run at 1280x720. And that doesn't look to good on my Viewsonic 22" 16x10 wide screen... Any suggestions? Even when I leave my monitor on the projector's resolution, I can see cut lines/choppiness on my wall. I figure that is the refresh rate, but am not quite sure. Other than that, which I am sure can be fixed, not a single issue over here.

I highly recommend the Optoma HD70 for a low budget projector.

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
nVidia cards should be capable of dualview, should be able to get it set up in such a way that the video is windowed on your PC monitor and outputs full screen to your projector.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004
What about the Mitsubishi HC1500 720p projector? Don't need to worry about the filter? Check. Long bulb life? Check. Good reviews? Check.

Price slashed from 1500 down to 850 on Amazon? Check. From what I understand, this is the successor to the 1000?

I'm REALLY considering buying this projector. Anyone have experience with it?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Benjammin posted:

Chiming in to say that I just picked up the HD70 and sweet mother of god is this thing amazing. Blacks are pitch status and the colors are loving beautiful. This is my first projector so I can't really provide much input as far as decision making goes, but this thing is seriously all I could ask for.

When I said "buy it and don't look back" this is exactly what I meant. Color accuracy and contrast are actually two areas where the HD70 isn't all that hot, but if it makes you happy, then who gives a poo poo?

Regarding the HC1500, I recommended it earlier in the thread. It's fantastic.

Kynes
Dec 23, 2002

AX200 guy checking in. I have this and it is loving great. For gaming, etc., too.

joevandyk
Feb 17, 2007
I ended up getting the Mitsubishi HC1500 for $830 total (including shipping/tax). It seems pretty good. Need to get a screen now.

The HC1500 works way better than I expected if the room isn't very dark. I mean, a darker room helps, but as long as you don't have sunlight pouring into the room, the picture is great.

joevandyk fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 2, 2008

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004
What are people's thoughts on the Acer PH530? It is a DLP 720p project that can be found for $600-$750.

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
I heard, although I'm not sure if it's true, that the Acer uses the same TI Darkchip as the Optoma HD70.

S.W.G.
Jul 8, 2004

joevandyk posted:

I ended up getting the Mitsubishi HC1500 for $830 total (including shipping/tax). It seems pretty good. Need to get a screen now.

The HC1500 works way better than I expected if the room isn't very dark. I mean, a darker room helps, but as long as you don't have sunlight pouring into the room, the picture is great.

I did, same price as well. So far it's seemed to be a really good buy. I agree that it needs a screen. The picture is sharp enough that the texturing on the wall really interferes with clarity. I'd recommend the HC1500 for anyone.

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

Giblet Plus! posted:

What are people's thoughts on the Acer PH530? It is a DLP 720p project that can be found for $600-$750.

I got one for $599 at tiger direct about 4 months ago and I am extremely satisfied with my purchase. Colors are close enough for me. I wish it could be a little brighter, but that's mostly due to my light control. Best value in my opinion.

It's also great for smokin' bitches in Halo 3.

nosml
Jan 14, 2003

King Hotpants posted:

If you hang out on AVS or whatever, you'll never be happy with your purchase, ever. Just buy it, hook it up, and enjoy.

Commit this to memory because AVS will make your once awesome system feel just okay.

Abbot Lau
Oct 6, 2004

The Buddha teaches mercy. I have made a vow not to kill... but it seems I must!
A friend had me round to look at his new JVC HD projector. Cost the best part of $8000 and the bloody thing didn't have keystone correction. I couldn't believe it. (sorry can't remember the model of projector but it was a very nice HD one)

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Abbot Lau posted:

A friend had me round to look at his new JVC HD projector. Cost the best part of $8000 and the bloody thing didn't have keystone correction. I couldn't believe it. (sorry can't remember the model of projector but it was a very nice HD one)

That projector is incredible (DLA-RS2) and it has lens shift so who the gently caress needs keystone correction?

Keystone correction is one of my pet peeves. It should NEVER, EVER, EVER be used. Ever. I was actually happy that JVC took it out of that model, because someone buying an $8000 projector can afford to have it mounted correctly.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Allright - after looking through this thread and doing a huge amount of research on my own, I bought one last night:

Benq W500
LCD 720p with upscaling and lens shift for 899$ (+ 100$ MIR = 799$!!). Also newegg throws in a free ceiling mount without a MIR.

I mainly picked this because a friend just picked it up and pointed out that it was LCD vs DLP and was very affordable for 720p. Also, the replacement bulbs only cost 250$ and last up to 3000 hours.
Good reviews on projector central too. The lens shift is especially nifty.

quote:

Model
Brand BenQ
Model W500
Cabinet Color White
Type 3LCD
Display
Lens F=1.6 to1.88, f=18.6(wide) - 22.3mm(tele)
Lamp 140W, 2000/3000 hours (Normal/Economic mode)
Aspect Ratio 16:9
Display Size 23.5" - 300"
Native Resolution 1280 x 720
Brightness 1100 lumens
Contrast Ratio 5000:1
Horizontal Refresh Rate 15 - 17KHz
Vertical Refresh Rate 50 - 100 Hz
Connectivity
Input Video Compatibility PC Input: Analog RGB
NTSC, PAL, SECAM
480i/p, 720p
Input Video Connectors Analog RGB :D-sub x1
Digital: HDMI (with HDCP)x 1
Composite Video: RCA x 1
S-Video: Mini DIN 4 pin x 1
Component Video 1: RCA x 3
Component Video 2: RCA x 3 (shared)
RS232: Mini DIN 8 pin x1
USB: B type x1
Spec
Power Supply 100 - 240 V AC, 50 - 60 Hz
Power Consumption Max 200W, 5W (Stand-by)
Dimensions (W×H×D) 13.7" x 4.7" x 10.9"
Weight 8.6 lbs.
Features
Features
Dynamic IRIS system
HQV ( Hollywood Quality Video) picture quality
Horizontal and Vertical Lens Shift
Professional digital AV input (HDMI)
User memory stetting
BenQ proprietart Senseye Technology
Independent Color adjustment

1080p would have been nice but that would have been an extra 1k tacked on to price minimum. Also, since my last projector was only 800x600, I am pretty pleased. Mostly going to be using it for movies anyways, since I am not a gamer.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.
The nice thing about the W500 is that it has really excellent standard-definition processing, so all your old material will still look great. That HQV chip does not gently caress around.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

My friend who has it warned he burned out his mp3 player by plugging it in to the USB port. Good to hear about the HQV. I was planning on running a Lite-On DVD player with HD upscaling as well as my PC into it. Which will scale best, the HQV in the projector, the Lite-On, or just playing the DVDs through my PC??
Is it common for projectors to have DVI? This one has component, VGA and HDMI . . . though I suppose I can get a DVI->HDMI if I feel like getting an adapter. My Shuttle SG33G5M has HDMI out however.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 7, 2008

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

sigma 6 posted:

My friend who has it warned he burned out his mp3 player by plugging it in to the USB port. Good to hear about the HQV. I was planning on running a Lite-On DVD player with HD upscaling as well as my PC into it. Which will scale best, the HQV in the projector, the Lite-On, or just playing the DVDs through my PC??
Is it common for projectors to have DVI? This one has component, VGA and HDMI . . . though I suppose I can get a DVI->HDMI if I feel like getting an adapter. My Shuttle SG33G5M has HDMI out however.

Why the hell would he plug an MP3 player into this thing? I've never heard that one before.

The HQV in the projector will upscale better than the DVD player; leave it at 480i.

DVI is outdated and not used often anymore; HDMI has replaced it. DVI-to-HDMI cables aren't that expensive, though.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

It was a mp3 player which could output video . . . but this begs the question: What is that USB connection for anyways?
I was under the impression that component video (YUV) was the same quality of video as HDMI. Is DVI not as good as either then? This is especially confusing since I was planning on using the standard VGA out from my shuttle. Now I am thinking it would be worthwhile buying a separate video card with HDMI out.
Regardless, thanks for your input!

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances

sigma 6 posted:

I was under the impression that component video (YUV) was the same quality of video as HDMI. Is DVI not as good as either then?

DVI -> HDMI will yield the same image as HDMI -> HDMI. You just don't get sound over DVI.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks Pibborando San! Always was a fan of your artwork in the CC threads.

Main problem is that I only have one HDMI port on the projector. I was planning on using the VGA port with my puter but it sounds like I should go ahead and use that one HDMI port instead.
I have two sets of component video to attach other video output down the road.
Is there a cheap recommended receiver for switching multiple video inputs / interfaces? Most receivers only have 1-2 HDMI ports unless you pay a lot of money.
Sorry if this question is derailing the thread.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

sigma 6 posted:

It was a mp3 player which could output video . . . but this begs the question: What is that USB connection for anyways?
I was under the impression that component video (YUV) was the same quality of video as HDMI. Is DVI not as good as either then? This is especially confusing since I was planning on using the standard VGA out from my shuttle. Now I am thinking it would be worthwhile buying a separate video card with HDMI out.
Regardless, thanks for your input!

Most of the time the USB port is so you can control the projector from your computer. Since relatively few computers are using 9-pin serial ports these days, they moved on to USB.

I'm not 100% sure, but that'd be my guess. It's definitely not a video-in for an iPod.

joevandyk
Feb 17, 2007
I need a mount for my HC1500. Would this do the trick? http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082803&p_id=3875&seq=1&format=2

Anything I should look for or watch out for when selecting a mount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phunkdust
Sep 12, 2006
Yeah everyone has those mounts, they're ugly as gently caress but they give you good control over angles, etc.

• Locked thread