Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

candeh
Apr 1, 2005

your reviews aren't that good

Deceptor101 posted:

Cilantro is a great looking bun! Her bone structure and poses really remind me of Ben, do you know what breed she is? I've never known Ben's breed and I've always been curious. Thanks.

Looks like a satin or mini satin, having a hard time with scale in these photos.

DS at Night posted:

What a beautiful rabbit. What breed is that, do you know?

An orange mini rex and a fawn mini rex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

BITCH, I'D RATHER KEEP MY PTSD THAN HAVE YOUR BITCH ASS TRY TO HELP

DUNSON'D
Thanks for the responses everyone. I cut out the carrot and dry oatmeal, and stuck with green veggies for a few days. Bear's poop is back to normal and he's doing awesome. :) I'll mention this to the vet anyway, since I still need to take him in to get fixed. I just got a ton of sheets while volunteering at the Humane Society that were donated. They can't use them there, so I made them into a pile for him and he's binkying all over the place. :3:

Daya
Nov 13, 2006
One of my bunnies, Smira, died yesterday, she was 9 years old. I buried her in the forest today.

The other bunny, Cera, had some time to sniff her dead friend (I've read this is important for them, to realize their friend is dead), and now she's very lonely. Cera is also 9 yers old. I don't really want to have a new bunny at this point, so Cera will have to be on her own, bunny-wise.

Ack, I'm just really, really sad. I've loved this rabbit a lot, she was with me since I was 18. She even moved to Norway with me.

This is the now lonely rabbit:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
I'm sorry for your loss :(

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Finn has a new favorite toy! :3:

This bag is just a normal wine bag from one of my jobs. I put his daily ration of pellets in the bottom and put it on the floor for him; he gets super excited about it now and will binky around as soon as he sees me pick it up. I wonder if he would play with a bag stuffed with hay? He seems to get lazy with the hay stuffed tp tubes after a bit and will only eat the hay that is easy to get out without shredding the tube.

The cockatiel in the photo is Tori. I have had her since I was 11 (and am 21 now). Our budgies and cockatiels are free range in the living room (which is also bunny proofed) so she likes to come down and snack on Finn's greens. She roosts on his cage sometimes and also roots around in his hay manger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnlKZj23DNE Sorry for the poor quality; we have a pretty old camera.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Pardalis posted:

Bunny butt! I love pictures of bunny butts. I always try to get my two snuggling together, but as soon as the camera comes out they get agitated and move around.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.
Paterson is sick. We will have an assorted hay party when he comes home.

luscious fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 12, 2009

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

justFaye posted:

Bunny butt! I love pictures of bunny butts. I always try to get my two snuggling together, but as soon as the camera comes out they get agitated and move around.

I think he looks like a Totoro in that position, especially when he sticks his tail straight out like that. :3:

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
Really sorry for your loss, Daya. :sympathy:

I happened to be at the humane society today and came across a little male rex. I met him and he was awesome, so I took him home. I hadn't really been looking for another bun, but wanted to get Bear a friend when I found the right one. The new guy is just the sweetest thing. :3: He was fixed today and I'll be getting Bear fixed before they're officially introduced.

It's pretty clear that the bonding process is going to be a pain. I let them sniff each other through the carrier door, and while I expected Bear to go nuts, he was perfectly fine. The new guy, on the other hand, went insane. He's great alone but if I so much as smell like Bear he'll bite the poo poo out of me, and has left a few bruises/bloody spots due to me not washing my hands. He hasn't had the opportunity to hurt Bear, though, which is most important.

I guess I'll just take it step by step and hopefully they'll finally love each other. Any advice is appreciated. I'll be following the guide on rabbit.org to introduce them.

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
Just an update here. The new bunny isn't going as well as I'd hoped. He's staying in a room by himself, but every now and then when I walk in there (namely this morning), he gets extremely territorial. He lunges at me to bite and has taken several chunks of skin out of my legs. This is unexpected and I'm still pretty inexperienced so I'm not sure how to handle this. :( This happens before I even try to touch him. I don't want to bring him back, but I don't want an aggressive bunny either. Bear has never been anything like him.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Megalodon posted:

Just an update here. The new bunny isn't going as well as I'd hoped. He's staying in a room by himself, but every now and then when I walk in there (namely this morning), he gets extremely territorial. He lunges at me to bite and has taken several chunks of skin out of my legs. This is unexpected and I'm still pretty inexperienced so I'm not sure how to handle this. :( This happens before I even try to touch him. I don't want to bring him back, but I don't want an aggressive bunny either. Bear has never been anything like him.

When we first took in Cilantro, she was extremely aggressive. Lunges, bites, scratches, you name it. It just took time for her to get used to my wife and I before she got to know us. After about a month of feeding her and talking to her and just making sure she was exposed to us, she started letting us pet her sometimes while she was laid down. It just takes time, so be patient and hang in there!

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
Unfortunately me nor the boyfriend are really prepared to take on such an aggressive bun. If he doesn't improve significantly within the next few days I may have to bring him back. :(

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Megalodon posted:

I had the exact opposite with Frith: he was super shy and easily spooked. It was weeks before I could get close enough to pet him (he'd scamper to the far back corner of his pen and I didn't think I should get in there with him). He's since become friendly, even to the point of a little arrogant -- he'll poke me hard with his nose when he thinks it's lunchtime. :) Just wait it out, he needs to get used to you and his new environment.

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
I handled the new bun today. He lied down in my lap and seemed pretty relaxed, then out of nowhere got up and bit my arm. After that, he spent most of the time biting or trying to bite me. I'm trying to be patient but I'm a new bunny owner. I'm really considering bringing him back. He's very unpredictable and I don't think I can handle this. :( I really want to keep him but it's getting to where I'm afraid to interact with him.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Paterson went into GI Stasis on Friday. I had to work but had my mom take him to the vet and was on the phone for almost my whole shift. It was really lovely but he's coming home tomorrow. While I'm at the vet I'm going to buy them a lot of different kinds of hay and switch them over to Oxbow pellets even though I have the giantest bag of Martins.

it was the scariest thing ever.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Sorry to those having problems :( it must be a bad time of the year or something.

New bunny thumps for many different reasons. Not good when sleeping in the same room with him. Oh boy...

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
Another update. I went in to see the new bun today and he seemed to be doing fine. I held him with no problems, so I brought him with me to lay on the couch. He did that comfy stretched out adorable bunny thing and just hung out for awhile, until about 20 minutes later when he decided to bite my arm. Not a nibble, but a bloody bite. I held him back with my other hand as he tried to bite me again. Later on when squatting near him while he was on the floor, he managed to bite my inner thigh and break the skin through my jeans.

I'm going to be bringing him back to the shelter tomorrow. I'm sad and feel like I'm doing a terrible thing but I'm just not ready for this. He's drawn blood a good half a dozen times today, and I can't continue to deal with it for however long it takes for him to like me. That being said, he's a rex and will likely get significantly larger than Bear, my lionhead. I just don't feel comfortable trying to eventually bond them considering how territorial/dominant he is. I'm getting a new bunny so he can have a friend, so separate cages kind of defeat the purpose.

Thanks for the advice given. When I bring him back to the shelter I'll suggest they note his aggressiveness towards other male rabbits (though I know this is common, it can't hurt). I'd really love to give this little guy a chance but I've only been a bunny owner for a month or so and am just not prepared for this. I'm hoping it ends up being the right decision for the new bunny. Eventually I'll find Bear a friend. A girlfriend, though. :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Megalodon posted:

Another update. I went in to see the new bun today and he seemed to be doing fine. I held him with no problems, so I brought him with me to lay on the couch. He did that comfy stretched out adorable bunny thing and just hung out for awhile, until about 20 minutes later when he decided to bite my arm.

This sounds like he's trancing out then coming back and not really sure of who you are.

Sorry he's not compatible with you. :(

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D

pseudonordic posted:

This sounds like he's trancing out then coming back and not really sure of who you are.

Sorry he's not compatible with you. :(

Maybe that's it. I have no idea. I just went and saw him and he was being sweet, though he did give me that angry bunny look for a minute. I just feel so guilty. :(

Edit: Ugh, I'm so torn. I went to give the new guy his veggies and he went into ultra sweet mode. He was eating out of my hands and playing with the toys I tossed him. I'm going to give him another shot. Wish me luck.

Megalodon fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 14, 2009

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You mentioned he seems to react to the smell of the other bun on you. Since you're following rabbit.org I presume you're making sure they're in separate cages to get used to one another's scent?

I came across a bun a little while ago that was the friendliest little guy I've ever met, but he also bit me once or twice when I was first getting to know him. I made sure to make an audible yelp and withdrew my hand sharply to let him know he's hurting me each time, and eventually he seemed to get the picture and just licked me instead. He was quite a licker.

I also was able to bribe him into loving me by feeding him blueberries. Bunnies love that poo poo, and they'll inhale 'em like there's no tomorrow. If he's being sweet give him a blueberry.

If he bites just gobble the blueberries in front of him and scream "NONE FOR YOU!!!"

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Megalodon posted:

Another update. I went in to see the new bun today and he seemed to be doing fine. I held him with no problems, so I brought him with me to lay on the couch. He did that comfy stretched out adorable bunny thing and just hung out for awhile, until about 20 minutes later when he decided to bite my arm. Not a nibble, but a bloody bite. I held him back with my other hand as he tried to bite me again. Later on when squatting near him while he was on the floor, he managed to bite my inner thigh and break the skin through my jeans.

I'm going to be bringing him back to the shelter tomorrow. I'm sad and feel like I'm doing a terrible thing but I'm just not ready for this. He's drawn blood a good half a dozen times today, and I can't continue to deal with it for however long it takes for him to like me. That being said, he's a rex and will likely get significantly larger than Bear, my lionhead. I just don't feel comfortable trying to eventually bond them considering how territorial/dominant he is. I'm getting a new bunny so he can have a friend, so separate cages kind of defeat the purpose.

Thanks for the advice given. When I bring him back to the shelter I'll suggest they note his aggressiveness towards other male rabbits (though I know this is common, it can't hurt). I'd really love to give this little guy a chance but I've only been a bunny owner for a month or so and am just not prepared for this. I'm hoping it ends up being the right decision for the new bunny. Eventually I'll find Bear a friend. A girlfriend, though. :)

It may just be a matter of getting him used to you- from a shelter you have no idea where he's been, what he's been through. He may bite because every owner he's ever had has been abusive, or he may have been in a house with kids who pulled his ears and tail and everything else a dumb kid will do. Bunnies don't really seem to be mean, just scared and defensive. And honestly, with a rabbit, especially when they're not used to you, you'll be very surprised what little tiny things you could be doing to freak him out. I speak from experience- my rabbit who passed away recently acted this way when he came home. By the time he died he was a complete cuddle bug and probably the sweetest animal I've ever met.

I also would not take the way the two bunnies reacted toward each other the way you described previously as truth. I brought a new one home recently and when they first saw each other were clawing at the cage. A day later they were trying to lick each other through it. And besides, easy bonding is a one and a million incident and most of the time it is NOT going to be something that happens overnight. If you're not ready to have two completely different setups for at least a month or two (possibly even longer) then I wouldn't really consider getting a second.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Megalodon posted:

Edit: Ugh, I'm so torn. I went to give the new guy his veggies and he went into ultra sweet mode. He was eating out of my hands and playing with the toys I tossed him. I'm going to give him another shot. Wish me luck.

Your earlier post mentions he got fixed this week. Hormonal aggression will not wear off for another couple of weeks or so. It's entirely possible he'll be nicer then. It's also possible that right now he's still sore and cranky because of it.

I wouldn't try to pick him up or hold him. It's best if you make it possible for him to come to you if he wants to. Rabbits are social animals, and inquisitive, give him some time and he won't be able to resist checking you out of his own volition and on his own terms.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Alright, I could use some bonding help from folks. It's a slightly long read but I could use the help.

Dodger (the new rabbit) has been with us for 4 months now. The first two months were very rocky bonding him with Sprout (the old rabbit) who we have had for 13 months now (the first 9 months she was the only bunny in the house). Sprout is 1 year 3 months and Dodger is about1 year 6 months.

They are finally at the point where we have zero problems if they are together in the living room. They will lounge within a foot of each other (though usually lounge way apart from each other, they each have their favorite spots), they will eat hay from the same container, and when cornered they won't fight but will just go around the other rabbit or hop over. All in all, no real aggression, and we're told this means they at least get along. They usually go anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3 hours in the living room, although a good half the time the lazy asses are loafing it and falling asleep.

The problem is that for 2 months it's been the same. Dodger will still go for Sprout's butt with his nose where she just hops off, and when they go face to face when Dodger puts his chin down Sprout just nibbles his cheeks which makes Dodger jump back after a nibble or two, then Sprout hops off. We tried putting them in the smaller pen together (it's about 4x4 feet), but Dodger just ends up sniffing and chasing Sprout the whole time very slowly, and after 20 minutes she starts getting ornery.

Is there something we can/should be doing to advance the bonding process? They put up with each other but I still don't trust leaving them alone anywhere. The only bunny proofed room is the bedroom but the last time we let Dodger in there it lasted 10 minutes before she got REALLY territorial under the bed, which I think she still sees as her domain, and I had to break up some fights then and haven't tried since. Should we force them to cuddle? Is there a chance we just have two dominant bunnies and we're hosed? I know with me, if I pet sprout first she'll come up and lick my nose for a few minutes, then nibble my face until I pet her for awhile, then shell go back to grooming me, etc etc, but she won't do that with Dodger and he has NEVER tried to groom her. Ever.

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 14, 2009

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
Okay, so it turns out I can't just give up on my new little guy. I feel too guilty and I know he has the potential to be a great bun, so I'm going to tough it out. I've learned that for some reason my work uniform, particularly my black work pants, absolutely enrages him. The really bad bites were all given while I was wearing them, and he charged at me today until I changed. I know one thing not to do now, at least.

Today I just pet him a lot and gave him a carrot treat when he was good, which was most of the time. When he did get nippy, I gave him a toy and he'd toss it around a few times and calm down. I'm also being less of a pussy and not letting him intimidate me like he did before.

Bear, my other bun, is getting fixed tomorrow, so they'll be recuperating (sic?) at the same time. They're currently in separate rooms but I have a question about their future housing. They're both at my mom's house right now but only for a week. Bear's pen is at my boyfriend's where he normally stays. The pen is very large, and I was wondering if it'd be okay to put a divider in the middle to use as two separate cages for the time being. They could interact but not fight. I'd move the pen into another room, and then back to the original room when they're bonded and ready to live together, so it's new for both of them. Would this be okay or would I be doing something wrong?

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Fenarisk posted:

Alright, I could use some bonding help from folks. It's a slightly long read but I could use the help.

Dodger (the new rabbit) has been with us for 4 months now. The first two months were very rocky bonding him with Sprout (the old rabbit) who we have had for 13 months now (the first 9 months she was the only bunny in the house). Sprout is 1 year 3 months and Dodger is about1 year 6 months.

They are finally at the point where we have zero problems if they are together in the living room. They will lounge within a foot of each other (though usually lounge way apart from each other, they each have their favorite spots), they will eat hay from the same container, and when cornered they won't fight but will just go around the other rabbit or hop over. All in all, no real aggression, and we're told this means they at least get along. They usually go anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3 hours in the living room, although a good half the time the lazy asses are loafing it and falling asleep.

The problem is that for 2 months it's been the same. Dodger will still go for Sprout's butt with his nose where she just hops off, and when they go face to face when Dodger puts his chin down Sprout just nibbles his cheeks which makes Dodger jump back after a nibble or two, then Sprout hops off. We tried putting them in the smaller pen together (it's about 4x4 feet), but Dodger just ends up sniffing and chasing Sprout the whole time very slowly, and after 20 minutes she starts getting ornery.

Is there something we can/should be doing to advance the bonding process? They put up with each other but I still don't trust leaving them alone anywhere. The only bunny proofed room is the bedroom but the last time we let Dodger in there it lasted 10 minutes before she got REALLY territorial under the bed, which I think she still sees as her domain, and I had to break up some fights then and haven't tried since. Should we force them to cuddle? Is there a chance we just have two dominant bunnies and we're hosed? I know with me, if I pet sprout first she'll come up and lick my nose for a few minutes, then nibble my face until I pet her for awhile, then shell go back to grooming me, etc etc, but she won't do that with Dodger and he has NEVER tried to groom her. Ever.

Generally, the dominant rabbit is the only one who gets groomed. Portia is dominant and Ender is her slave so she kinda bosses him around. At this point, they sound like Portia and Ender did when I first started caging them together. Mine did have a few fights erupt but at that point all I had to do was give some time outs and they calmed down. I don't know if you want to put them together full time; but don't give up you're very close. They're in the final stages of working out who will be dominant and until they figure that out, they will not snuggle with each other. I actually had Portia and Ender together for a few months in the same cage before I ever saw them snuggle, but that was a risk I took. Just keep up what you're doing and I think you'll see the final stages soon. I would keep doing car rides as well, take them together to Petsmart or something and drive them around in a cart. Scared buns are bonded buns...they're odd creatures ;)

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Megalodon posted:

Okay, so it turns out I can't just give up on my new little guy. I feel too guilty and I know he has the potential to be a great bun, so I'm going to tough it out. I've learned that for some reason my work uniform, particularly my black work pants, absolutely enrages him. The really bad bites were all given while I was wearing them, and he charged at me today until I changed. I know one thing not to do now, at least.

Today I just pet him a lot and gave him a carrot treat when he was good, which was most of the time. When he did get nippy, I gave him a toy and he'd toss it around a few times and calm down. I'm also being less of a pussy and not letting him intimidate me like he did before.

Bear, my other bun, is getting fixed tomorrow, so they'll be recuperating (sic?) at the same time. They're currently in separate rooms but I have a question about their future housing. They're both at my mom's house right now but only for a week. Bear's pen is at my boyfriend's where he normally stays. The pen is very large, and I was wondering if it'd be okay to put a divider in the middle to use as two separate cages for the time being. They could interact but not fight. I'd move the pen into another room, and then back to the original room when they're bonded and ready to live together, so it's new for both of them. Would this be okay or would I be doing something wrong?

You can do that, I did the same thing with my old cage. As long as they can't get to one another yet, you're fine. Fights can break out in the middle of the night and you don't want to dash downstairs to find a bloody bun.

You're handling the aggression better as well :) Don't let him intimidate you; Ender was very territorial when I got him and would growl and lunge at me every time I cleaned the cage. I ignored it or would go and pet him when he lunged at me. You're not rewarding the aggression but rather channeling it into something else. If you want, wear gloves that have no odor; I did that when I worked at a shelter that had quite a few aggressive buns. Keep giving him small treats and pets, don't pick him up or hug him for awhile; they're pretty spazzy about that in the beginning. The thing I wouldn't do is leave him alone if he becomes aggressive. He wants you to go away when he bites so that would be rewarding the behavior. If he's being a dick, calm him down with a toy or treat and then leave. Just keep at it, I know it's frustrating :)

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

Generally, the dominant rabbit is the only one who gets groomed. Portia is dominant and Ender is her slave so she kinda bosses him around. At this point, they sound like Portia and Ender did when I first started caging them together. Mine did have a few fights erupt but at that point all I had to do was give some time outs and they calmed down. I don't know if you want to put them together full time; but don't give up you're very close. They're in the final stages of working out who will be dominant and until they figure that out, they will not snuggle with each other. I actually had Portia and Ender together for a few months in the same cage before I ever saw them snuggle, but that was a risk I took. Just keep up what you're doing and I think you'll see the final stages soon. I would keep doing car rides as well, take them together to Petsmart or something and drive them around in a cart. Scared buns are bonded buns...they're odd creatures ;)

At night our rabbits go into smaller cages...about 3 feet by 2 feet, with a top. Would you recommend putting them in them for a short time, even if they caused some ruckus in the 4x4 pen? I'm worried they might get territorial in there as well.

I definitely would like them to be together full time, hopefully both in the bedroom during the day when I'm at work, and then they can run around for hours between the bedroom and living room for 3-4 hours each night for all I care. As I said though, another limiting factor was Sprout's "under-the-bed" fortress she violently protects, but which also adds to a large amount of the running space in there so I don't want to block it off.

Chiken n' Waffles
Mar 11, 2001
How in the name of God do you people not have rabbits that eat your carpet floor? My Bunny has started doing this and it's driving me crazy. He has access to food, he knows where his litter box is, he has toys, but no, he runs to the corner of the living room and shreds the poo poo out of the carpet. He never did this before! I used to be able to let him wander around all day but now I can't since I came home from work and saw carpet shreds ALL over the place. :( halp.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

How in the name of God do you people not have rabbits that eat your carpet floor?

We moved to a place with all hardwood floors.

No joke.

When we moved out of our previous apartment, there was a couch-sized bare spot in the carpet where Bowser had gone to town. We tried EVERYTHING. The whole drat house was carpeted- if we wanted her to have any exercise, she was gonna eat carpet. Yeah, we didn't get that security deposit back.

Sorry I don't have better news for you, but some bunnies really like eating carpet, and all bunnies are stubborn, wiley little motherfuckers.

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Mine also used to love ripping up the carpet. Couldn't really be helped, not even with eternal vigilance and lots of distractions. He doesn't do it anymore though (prefers to eat the curtains instead)

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

I gave in and let my buns have my baby blanket. :( It was either that or the carpet.

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

I find putting hay nearby distracts carpet chewing.

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

Chiken n' Waffles posted:

How in the name of God do you people not have rabbits that eat your carpet floor? My Bunny has started doing this and it's driving me crazy. He has access to food, he knows where his litter box is, he has toys, but no, he runs to the corner of the living room and shreds the poo poo out of the carpet. He never did this before! I used to be able to let him wander around all day but now I can't since I came home from work and saw carpet shreds ALL over the place. :( halp.

Ours only eat specific spots of carpet, and aren't super determined at it, so this may not help... but we put those grass mats down on the spots they like to eat, and then they just eat the mats instead. But, if it's your entire carpet he goes after, it would be difficult to cover the whole thing in grass mats...

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
Our buns demolished the carpet in one room in several spots, chewing right down to the sub flooring :(

We just covered the spots they chewed with furniture, because as soon as they see a half-eaten patch they want to eat it more. And then we got some plywood and laid it on the ground near the spots they were likely to chew (behind the couch and by a closet door. They only chew spots that are in corners or next to walls) and they started eating the wood instead.

They're putting laminate flooring in all the apartments in our building, so I'm hoping our Super will be awesome and not take away our damage deposit because they're just going to tear up the carpeting anyway. (Haha, turn down money? yeah, right)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

PLEASE be careful about rabbits eating carpets! That's what Paterson ate that put him into GI Stasis and it's terrible oh god. I covered the rugs with sheets and I'm sorry if you guys can't but please be careful!

my poor bebe. I'm giving him something for discomfort, two anti-biotics for a kidney thing, anti-gas stuff and Critical Care. BUT. He made a pee, some poops and ate a few sprigs of hay. And loves the Critical Care :3:

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

luscious posted:

PLEASE be careful about rabbits eating carpets! That's what Paterson ate that put him into GI Stasis and it's terrible oh god. I covered the rugs with sheets and I'm sorry if you guys can't but please be careful!

This is definitely true, but to be clear, when I'm talking about "eating" the carpet, I mean ripping it up and not ingesting it. Most bunnies like to pull out the fibers, but if anyone's rabbit is eating the shag and not just leaving it in a big fuzzy pile, they could be in some serious trouble.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Fenarisk posted:

At night our rabbits go into smaller cages...about 3 feet by 2 feet, with a top. Would you recommend putting them in them for a short time, even if they caused some ruckus in the 4x4 pen? I'm worried they might get territorial in there as well.

I definitely would like them to be together full time, hopefully both in the bedroom during the day when I'm at work, and then they can run around for hours between the bedroom and living room for 3-4 hours each night for all I care. As I said though, another limiting factor was Sprout's "under-the-bed" fortress she violently protects, but which also adds to a large amount of the running space in there so I don't want to block it off.

I guess just try it and see how it goes. The close quarters might start a battle but there's no way to be sure.

The under the bed thing will be tough, that's what started Portia and Ender's original fight. I moved to a new place which is what finally bonded them because they were both without territory. Sometimes moving furniture around can help...not sure what else to do about that.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Bunway Airlines posted:

I guess just try it and see how it goes. The close quarters might start a battle but there's no way to be sure.

The under the bed thing will be tough, that's what started Portia and Ender's original fight. I moved to a new place which is what finally bonded them because they were both without territory. Sometimes moving furniture around can help...not sure what else to do about that.

It took a good hour and some really slapped-together household supplies, but the computer room is now bunny proofed. Sprout and Dodger spent 3 hours there last night with me in there, and while it's about the same size as our bedroom it has a few nooks and crannies but is mostly wide open for them. The computer room is the ONE room neither are allowed to go in until now.

There was one scuffle but Sprout somehow got chased into a corner and no tufts of fur were sent flying...and Sprout didn't even attack back. They sat nose to nose for a good 15 minutes at one point although no grooming occurred, and they both ate out of the same pellet dish, though at different times (Dodger was too busy exploring). I'm going to keep trying this in the hopes that they get along and start grooming/cuddling/playing in some way.

Megalodon
Dec 10, 2007

DUNSON'D
I've been working on my new bun (known as Gil for now) and he's improving a lot. Today Bear was fixed and they asked if I wanted to pay the extra for pain meds. I said of course and realized I have to administer them myself, something I didn't have to do with Gil. I asked about this and apparently the humane society doesn't offer pain meds. No wonder he was in a bad mood. :( The clinic was nice enough to give me a bit extra for him, and he let me open his mouth and administer it without any trouble. He's being a very good boy and seems to be learning to take out his grumpiness on his toys. :3:

Bear is already eating and hopping around, though he's still a bit out of it. I bought a doggy gate and put it in the middle of the pen, so they each have their own side. Bear doesn't give a poo poo about Gil, and rarely ever acknowledges him. Gil, on the other hand, has been pretty hyper since I've added his new neighbor. He's constantly up against the gate trying to meet Bear, and occasionally scratches to get at him. He's starting to ignore him, though, which I've read is a good thing.

All in all my boys are doing great, and two weeks from now I'll see if they're ready to meet for some supervised playtime. That should be enough time for their hormones to dissipate some. Thanks again for everyone's advice. I'll keep you all posted and update with bunny pics. I'm really glad I decided to keep Gil (even if the bites are infected). :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Glad to hear things are going better. And I can't imagine putting an animal through surgery and not putting them on pain meds :( poor guy.

I'm practically in the same place with bonding. They're side by side, mostly ignoring each other while I wait for Andy's hormones to balance out. I've caught them shoving noses through bars a few times so I have high hopes for our first session. I think switching houses wigs Milly out, but then again she's lived in the same place for a year (oddly enough, Andy seems to get a big kick out of it and runs in circles for hours when I switch).

I occasionally put up a short visual barrier between the two cages and they play peekaboo over the top of it. I must get it on film.