Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Frosty- posted:

What does everyone make of this: PT Performance "Mazda DIZI [sic] 2.3 turbo PCV fix"

I do not feel inclined to purchase a 30-dollar circle of metal, although my car doesn't smoke, so maybe I'm just not desperate enough.

Also has anyone with a 6 noticed that the car absolutely flips out if you're accelerating and go over a bump? I think it might be if the bump only affects one side of the car but the car seems to think something bad is happening and starts to jerk around and reduce throttle abruptly.

Regardless if it works or not, that's a terribly lovely explanation of what's actually happening and why that little magical fitting changes anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Is it normal to notice a small amount of black smoke on hard acceleration? Is it just the car richening up the fuel supply, or is this a sign of a retiring turbo?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lilbeefer posted:

Is it normal to notice a small amount of black smoke on hard acceleration? Is it just the car richening up the fuel supply, or is this a sign of a retiring turbo?

Black smoke is unburnt fuel. Since these things basically pour in gas at WOT, I wouldn't be surprised to see some black smoke now and again.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Lilbeefer posted:

Perfectly normal. These cars run crazy rich. The fuel is used partially as a means to cool the intake charge.

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.
Oh! I forgot to mention:

Corksport posted:

We are going to be releasing high flow cat racepipes for the Mazdaspeed 6 in the next month or so. We will have them available in the turbo back exhaust packages as well.
So that's awesome. The Corksport TBE will now be nominally emissions-legal, which should be good for a lot of us, since it's the best one.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
For anybody without an MS3, Tri Point Engineering has their GT28-based kit for $3400 right now.

So loving tempted...

redx
Nov 27, 2002
I've put about 11k miles on my 08 MS3, completely stock, and I have started getting some worrying sounds from the transmission. After driving for more than about 25 minutes the transmission will make a number of whining and other hard to describe noises when cruising at parking lot speeds. This is especially true when changing gears. Response from the shifter, and acceleration feels normal. Reasonably informed passengers that have ridden in the car have described them as possibly worrying. I really don't know enough to give much more detail. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I really want to take it into the dealer at this point, but my schedule is a total mess for the next month and a half or so. How worried should I be?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

redx posted:

I've put about 11k miles on my 08 MS3, completely stock, and I have started getting some worrying sounds from the transmission. After driving for more than about 25 minutes the transmission will make a number of whining and other hard to describe noises when cruising at parking lot speeds. This is especially true when changing gears. Response from the shifter, and acceleration feels normal. Reasonably informed passengers that have ridden in the car have described them as possibly worrying. I really don't know enough to give much more detail. Has anyone else experienced something similar? I really want to take it into the dealer at this point, but my schedule is a total mess for the next month and a half or so. How worried should I be?

Neglect it and they could hassle you when it breaks. Last time my MS3 was in the shop they gave me a loaner. TRIED to give me a PT Cruiser, but I upgraded into a G6. The G6 was a snoozer, but at least it wasn't humiliating to be in.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

So the nearby Mazda dealer has a new 09 MS3 sitting on the lot. The internet price is $23k, which I can swing, but I feel like I can do better. What would be a reasonable offer? I haven't driven it yet, but it seems like it will largely meet most of my desires, and all the regular Mazda3s I've driven I've greatly enjoyed.
Follow-up here: Went and test drove it after the "internet price" disappeared (or at least was significantly raised). They drove it up from a dealership they bought it from in NC, so it already has over 500 miles on it (not a big deal, but still). I made what was realistically a lowball of $22k, and the salesman didn't even try to work me up. He basically said "sorry, can't do that." Sad. I may go check out an 2010, since I think the hoodscoop does wonders for the looks. They're selling them for LESS than the 2009.

lmnt
Dec 20, 2004
winky shot ;]

Endless Mike posted:

Follow-up here: Went and test drove it after the "internet price" disappeared (or at least was significantly raised). They drove it up from a dealership they bought it from in NC, so it already has over 500 miles on it (not a big deal, but still). I made what was realistically a lowball of $22k, and the salesman didn't even try to work me up. He basically said "sorry, can't do that." Sad. I may go check out an 2010, since I think the hoodscoop does wonders for the looks. They're selling them for LESS than the 2009.

I'm having the same problem trying to find a newish MS3. I can find the 2007's but I really want the 08.5+ alcantara seats and dash material. There's a new 09 here for 24.5k but c'mon...the new ones are 23.5k. Hopefully Mazda will put some cash on the hood to move the old ones (doubtful).

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

lmnt posted:

I'm having the same problem trying to find a newish MS3. I can find the 2007's but I really want the 08.5+ alcantara seats and dash material. There's a new 09 here for 24.5k but c'mon...the new ones are 23.5k. Hopefully Mazda will put some cash on the hood to move the old ones (doubtful).

I have a hunch that they are holding out for more money for the people that want a MS3 but don't like the look of the new design.

lmnt
Dec 20, 2004
winky shot ;]

BexGu posted:

I have a hunch that they are holding out for more money for the people that want a MS3 but don't like the look of the new design.

yes...like me :3

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

lmnt posted:

yes...like me :3

You might have to suck it up and pay extra now. Just from watching inventory from my local dealers they where able to clear out most of the old 09 MS3 around July/August and now a few dealers only have one 09 MS3 Sport in Arrest Me Red. They have even taken down the internet price on their website.

I might have screwed myself a little bit on getting a 09 for cheap but I really don't have the problems with the 2010 look.

lmnt
Dec 20, 2004
winky shot ;]

BexGu posted:

You might have to suck it up and pay extra now. Just from watching inventory from my local dealers they where able to clear out most of the old 09 MS3 around July/August and now a few dealers only have one 09 MS3 Sport in Arrest Me Red. They have even taken down the internet price on their website.

I might have screwed myself a little bit on getting a 09 for cheap but I really don't have the problems with the 2010 look.

Yeah so I ended up buying a 2010 silver :D

No tech package, though -- just couldn't justify the extra 1800$ for a few 'hey neat' features.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Congrats, now post some pics since I don't think I've seen any of the 2010 that weren't magazine / press shots!

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

IOwnCalculus posted:

Congrats, now post some pics since I don't think I've seen any of the 2010 that weren't magazine / press shots!

Yeah, I would like to see some as well. Its between this and the WRX, and I'm starting a couple of test drives after my half iron man.

If I can make one request, can you get some pics of your with the back seats all the way down with like some random stuff in it?

lmnt
Dec 20, 2004
winky shot ;]
Well I took some pictures but my camera ran out just as I was about to take a pic with the seats folded down :smith:

But it should give you a decent idea (the bag is a laptop)

http://picasaweb.google.com/steveruiz/Mazdaspeed3

there is a lot of room in the back with the seats folded down, however. You can obviously remove the little black insert which serves to hide the contents of your trunk from prying eyes.

lmnt fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 5, 2009

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Looks identical to the old trunk. You can fit a golfbag in there without putting the seats down.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It actually looks deeper, that parcel shelf looks longer than the older model.

Looks nice, and I'm sure the front end will grow on me eventually. Congrats on joining the torque-steer club!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I've got an 06 MS6, bought it used with around 38k miles on it. its around 45k now, and I'm occasionally hearing a loud squeak coming from the car's undercarriage when stopped or moving at parking lot speeds. If I had to hazard a guess I'd go with the differential but frankly I've got no drat clue. Should I be concerned?

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

CombatWombat posted:

I've got an 06 MS6, bought it used with around 38k miles on it. its around 45k now, and I'm occasionally hearing a loud squeak coming from the car's undercarriage when stopped or moving at parking lot speeds. If I had to hazard a guess I'd go with the differential but frankly I've got no drat clue. Should I be concerned?

Could be a loose fastener in the suspension. Had this with my MS3. Take it to the dealer.

lmnt
Dec 20, 2004
winky shot ;]
So in my brand new '10 MS3 I notice it sort of pulls slightly to the left. Is this just a normal thing for a FWD car or should I have it looked at as an alignment issue? I only notice this at highway speeds.

Also I noticed during some heavy rain a couple days ago the 'passenger airbag off' indicator would come on and off...

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Burning Tires with Burning Spirit!
:kamina:
The passenger air bag will blink occasionally, even with a lap top on the seat. If you had anything on the seat at all, I would not worry about it. If there was nothing on the passenger seat, I would highly suggest taking it back to the dealer and explain the situation.

As for the slight pull. It is more likely that the tire pressure is slightly off in one tire. I had the same problem, but checked the tire pressures and the drivers side front was 4 pounds lower the the passenger front. I took them to a what pressure I liked, and the problem went away.

lmnt
Dec 20, 2004
winky shot ;]
thanks for that, I'll check the tire pressure on my way home!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Can any of you guys with '07-'09 MS3s do me a huge favor and tell me what the label on the lower left of your windshield is? Mine has developed bubbles (with the bumper-to-bumper warranty expiring in ~500mi) and if mine is the OEM glass then I can get the dealer to replace it. So far the dealer has claimed that all of their cars on the lot have the Mazda logo on the windshield, but mine doesn't...but it's still SEKURIT, which is the brand on every other window on the car as well.

Mine says:

SEKURIT
E6
43R-00015
LAMILEX
A002343
AS1 (or ASI?)
LP CENTRAL
DOT44

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
For those wanting a cold air box with the Cobb SRI, Corksport released theirs finally.

From what I've read, it mounts to the battery bracket and somewhere near the frame.

http://www.corksport.com/corksport-cobb-airbox.html

IOwnCalculus posted:

Can any of you guys with '07-'09 MS3s do me a huge favor and tell me what the label on the lower left of your windshield is?

I'll check mine in the morning for you and see.

Edit:Yea, no Mazda logo - its pretty much like yours.

Sublime Process fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 15, 2009

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Got into the dealer today - as it turns out, it is the original glass, but the PO actually had tint. Conveniently enough they have a tint guy who works out of the dealership, so for $50 they pulled the failing window tint off of the windshield and detailed the car.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

CombatWombat posted:

The dealership was unable to reproduce the noise. I still hear it every so often (probably once every couple days), and I can't figure out a pattern. The only thing I can think of is that the engine is (I think) always warmed up when it happens. It happens stopped, starting off, during a slow roll, during normal driving... the only time I don't think I've heard it is highway speeds, but that could be because it gets drowned out by wind noise and whatnot for all I know. It sounds like a squeaking brake caliper, and I can't pin down where exactly the noise comes from aside from "underneath the car, somewhere."

I took my car back and told them I'd bring it back if it got worse or more frequent. I dunno what else to do. :(

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

So things ended up working out and, alas, I no longer am in the MZR club.... Traded into the LS3 club though. :woop: Will miss the turbo kick but I can't argue with 415 ft/lbs in the new ride.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
traitor

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

In war, you kill people in order to change their minds. Remember that; it's fuckin' important.

CombatWombat posted:

I took my car back and told them I'd bring it back if it got worse or more frequent. I dunno what else to do. :(
I know this feeling of despair. They charged me 100 bucks to tell me they have no idea why my suspension clunks and I should totally bring it back sometime.

I've learned to ignore it.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Tremek posted:

So things ended up working out and, alas, I no longer am in the MZR club.... Traded into the LS3 club though. :woop: Will miss the turbo kick but I can't argue with 415 ft/lbs in the new ride.

Welcome to the dark side.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009
I want to join in here, but I'm not driving a Mazdaspeed anything. I am ashamed.

I do, however, adore my 2003 Protege5 dearly. Her name is Beverly and I'd show you pictures if I wasn't stuck on my ship in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

I've been toying with the idea of trying to put the turbo guts from the 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege, but I have no idea where to get them, have no experience with forced induction, and kids are expensive. (Plus, she's currently my daily driver as well as my only car, so I can't really afford to not have it running. I refuse to drive the wife's minivan into work. I hate that Odessey and can't wait to trade it in.

I love the way Bev handles, but I've recently noticed that she's a little more wobbly than I like once I get to automatic arrest speeds. That in mind, I might actually fiddle with the suspension and leave the engine bay alone, as more horsepower and torque will undoubtedly get me in significant trouble.
I've also noted that the clutch is sometimes a little lazy, especially when going into second gear. Based on cars I've owned before, this is normal. I'm not really worried about this as it doesn't happen often at all.

Also, I would hate to mislead all of you into thinking that I know more than very little about automobiles. However, this is my favorite forum to lurk in (since well before I paid my :10bux:), and I've actually learned quite a bit from you all.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Frosty- posted:

I know this feeling of despair. They charged me 100 bucks to tell me they have no idea why my suspension clunks and I should totally bring it back sometime.

I've learned to ignore it.

Muffinpox found this: http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=88509

There's a TSB for it, so I'm gonna give them a call sometime this week and have them look it up before I bring it in. That way there's no guesswork or "HURRR WE CANT REPRODUCE IT" involved. Also of note, it's happening more often now :(

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I wonder if the new Mazdaspeed 6 would use the 350 HP 3.5L Ecoboost engine found in the new Lincoln MKS and Taurus SHO.
It seems they're only relegating that engine to their large sedans and SUVs.
Does this sort of Ford-Mazda engine sharing even occur all that often?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Unlike the hot-selling MS3, the MS6 sold like poo poo and it's unlikely that it'll be making a comeback. Prior to Ford selling a large chunk of its stake in Mazda, Mazda and Ford used to share platform and engine designs pretty regularly, but I imagine that will be changing with the loss of ownership.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

CombatWombat posted:

Unlike the hot-selling MS3, the MS6 sold like poo poo and it's unlikely that it'll be making a comeback. Prior to Ford selling a large chunk of its stake in Mazda, Mazda and Ford used to share platform and engine designs pretty regularly, but I imagine that will be changing with the loss of ownership.

And here is to hoping that Mazda gets back into Rally, or touring cars because of it.

I didn't know much about the speed 6 when it came out. I probably would have bought one if I knew about it. I am happy with the 3 though.

Frosty, is it more of a click or a clunk? Are you driving a 3 or a 6? I forgot already :(

Frosty-
Jan 17, 2004

MS6; the front right suspension clunks if you load it up, like going over a dip in the road while turning left, or braking, or whatever. It just goes thunk like something is binding and then snapping free. It's done this for a really long time, like 20,000 miles. It gets much worse if you put weight in that general area of a car, like if you put a big guy in the passenger seat.

I've taken it to my dealership twice for it. The first time I was told they couldn't reproduce the problem. The second time, I took their guy for a ride and he spotted it, and then proceeded to spend 4 hours not fixing it, which cost me about a hundred dollars. I was content to wait all fuckin' day if it meant I got the car back without the embarassing noise which is horrendously loud outside the cabin, but they sent me home and told me to call ahead next time.

That was months ago.

[Edit] It also creaks if I crank the wheel to the right.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

I know it's a completely different car. However, in the Starion I ran into the same issue. The spring would pop in the perch. Essentially, the spring would rotate, and the strut top (that should be swiveling) was staying still. It was because nut that holds the bearing in place was over torqued. I backed it off about 15 foot pounds, and the issue went away.

The spring should sit into a molded perch on the top and bottom of the spring. Next time, if you get a chance, see if the spring (normally on the top) popped out of this. It would basically be the spring popping off of where the end of the spring sits in the perch.

See the crappy mspaint I did. The image on the left is the correct way it should be, and on the right is what my starion was doing. It will make a loud noise when it pops back into place. It could be over torqued, or the bearing could have some how been damaged. The reason the top is more likely, is because the bottom part of most coil springs ends up flat as the coils get closer together. This is to prevent this exact problem. I hope this helps. It should be visible from the wheel well. If you jack that side of the car up, and turn the wheel from side to side while having someone watch it, this should be the easiest way to tell. That's how I figured it out on my car.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

I was having some clunking from the rear, but I was able to reproduce it in the speed bump-ridden parking lot next to the dealer. They gave me a rental (would've been a PT Cruiser if I hadn't kicked a little of my own cash in, I'm shallow enough that I won't drive one of those shitboxes, even for free) and had it fixed in a couple of days.