Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

soy posted:

Since I am 6'5" and weigh around 240lbs, would it be advisable to go for an ex500 instead of a 250? Would it matter?

I love the look of the new 250/500's, but I doubt I could afford a new 500 very soon.

Of course to really answer this I'd have to go sit on both and see how they fit. I really would like a 2008 ex250, but there aren't that many available right now (for a reasonable price at least).

I'd find a used EX500 or GS500 from sometime in the 90s. Cheap and won't significantly devalue if you ride it for awhile and then sell it to get whatever bike you really want. You may find that what you thought you wanted out of riding isn't what you really want out of it, and a cheap, easily saleable bike that's well within your budget can be fantastic when you're 6 months in and you decide you really want a different bike.

I've been riding 5 years and have gone through 11 bikes in that time. I'm a bit of an extreme example, but I only made it about 4 months and 10k miles on my first bike before riding something else and buying it. I've slowed down on buying/selling bikes in the last year or so too, 9 of those bikes were in the 3.5 years of riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought there was no new 500 and Kawi was phasing them out. A 250 will move you fine though.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah actually the "new" 500's look just like the old ones, for the most part, which is to say they look like poo poo (imo).

I think I agree as far as getting an older 500 though, because I'd be kind of sad when I inevitably drop/scratch up/lowslide or whatever a shiny new 250. I guess it'll simply be a matter of getting my cash ready and then camping on craigslist until someone farts out a good deal. All of the local dealers used stock looks lovely/overpriced. loving california and it's 365 day riding season/great roads :mad:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.
I'm considering more possible unfettered lunacy...

I recently picked up a '94 BMW R110RS for my first bike, got it registered and running, and went out on my first ride of any distance (it was around 45 miles), and am now completely hooked. (I *seriously* contemplated riding to work this morning. It was 41*, out and most of my commute is posted 45, with stretches of 50 and 55 mixed in.)

I also (thanks to the fine denizens here) found ADVRider, and am completely hooked on the idea of "go anywhere" riding (as well as 'All The Gear, All The Time').

Last week, I found this:

quote:

We are in dire need of a second car and are selling the following…

2007 BMW F650 GS equipped with ABS, BMW removable and lockable luggage, heated handgrips, handguards, center stand, power socket, bash plate, engine protection bars, hazard lights, and a cover. Also included are the original manuals along with an after market full service manual on CD-ROM. The bike has been well looked after and serviced regularly every 3000 miles. Easily gets 70 mpg, and currently has only 9400 miles on it.

2004 Yamaha XT225 equipped with soft luggage, bash plate, new tires that are not yet fitted, after market full service manual on CD-ROM, and cover. This is a great beginner/all around bike. It is as easy to ride as a scooter, but will go up to 80 mph. It is street legal, but is great for the trails as well. It has been well looked after, with a recent oil and air filter change at 2000 miles. It currently has only 2200 miles on it.
I'm in Colorado.
It's October (or close enough as to not matter).

I'm tempted to offer them my '97 M3 Sedan as a straight across trade, but that would mean I'm carless for the winter months. I do work at DIA, and there's a SkyRide stop 2.5 miles away (6 minutes, sayeth GoogleMaps) that'd take me right to/from work, so it's not like come January I'd be stuck riding 22 miles one-way, in blowing snow, after dark, when it's 17* outside, on Magnesium Chloride, with less than 7000 miles on my M endorsement.

On the other side of the coin, the M3 is just a loving JOY to drive. It's as comfortable cruising up I-25 to Fort Collins at (just this side of) 100 MPH as it is at 50.
The R1100RS is running now (it wasn't when I bought it), and it could use some minor mechanical work (valve adjust, oil change), and some cosmetic fixing, but it's running, and I'm getting comfortable on it. It feels solid and almost "massive" underneath me - stable.

I know you guys can't answer the personal preference questions that only I can answer (i.e. "Are you ready to give up the car completely?").
I'm more wondering if those who live (or lived) in Denver think that riding year-round is possible, or a fool's errand?
Good idea to park the R1100 for the winter, ride the XT225 for a while, then step up to the F650GS, then the R1100 when the weather gets nice again next spring?
Might this make for a good (second) pair of bikes for myself and Jendywo? (30" inseam on both of us. She's on an '82 Yamaha XS400 Maxim, and on the balls of her feet, at that).
Does that look like a fair-ish trade (the car's worth 7500-10500, depending on which online appraisal tool I'm using - I paid $11500 for it 18 months ago)?
Is this more unfettered lunacy?

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

redscare posted:

I've finally reached the inevitable conclusion that just one bike isn't enough and feel like cleaning out the savings account on a dual sport. The question is, which one?

I'm dancing between the KLR650, DR650 and XR650 since they are plentiful and cheap on the used market, but is one somehow better than the other? Or should I look at something else entirely? Looking to spend no more than $3k

I got a DR350, I love the 6 speed, but the stock suspensions are soft. Almost everyone I've talked to with a DRZ400SM says that its a great bike paired to a lovely tranny.

I'd buy a DR650 years before a dinosaur KLR650. I think the best thing about KLR's is that they are cheap and easy to throw away. The XR650 is probably the one most geared offroad, but setup right they are great long distance.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Chill_Bebop posted:

the best thing about KLR's is that they are cheap

Cheap is good, I like cheap

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
bext part about used KLRs is that they always come with extra crap that the owner put on it. I bought my 06 for $2500 with a givi topcase, steel brake lines, fork brace, tank bag, and progressive springs in the forks, which is all stuff that I would have done anyway.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

redscare posted:

Cheap is good, I like cheap

DR 650s are also cheap and arent basically a mid '80s bike. All they really need is a big Desert tank.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Jabs posted:

I'm considering more possible unfettered lunacy...

I recently picked up a '94 BMW R110RS for my first bike, got it registered and running, and went out on my first ride of any distance (it was around 45 miles), and am now completely hooked. (I *seriously* contemplated riding to work this morning. It was 41*, out and most of my commute is posted 45, with stretches of 50 and 55 mixed in.)

I also (thanks to the fine denizens here) found ADVRider, and am completely hooked on the idea of "go anywhere" riding (as well as 'All The Gear, All The Time').

Last week, I found this:

I'm in Colorado.
It's October (or close enough as to not matter).

I'm tempted to offer them my '97 M3 Sedan as a straight across trade, but that would mean I'm carless for the winter months. I do work at DIA, and there's a SkyRide stop 2.5 miles away (6 minutes, sayeth GoogleMaps) that'd take me right to/from work, so it's not like come January I'd be stuck riding 22 miles one-way, in blowing snow, after dark, when it's 17* outside, on Magnesium Chloride, with less than 7000 miles on my M endorsement.

On the other side of the coin, the M3 is just a loving JOY to drive. It's as comfortable cruising up I-25 to Fort Collins at (just this side of) 100 MPH as it is at 50.
The R1100RS is running now (it wasn't when I bought it), and it could use some minor mechanical work (valve adjust, oil change), and some cosmetic fixing, but it's running, and I'm getting comfortable on it. It feels solid and almost "massive" underneath me - stable.

I know you guys can't answer the personal preference questions that only I can answer (i.e. "Are you ready to give up the car completely?").
I'm more wondering if those who live (or lived) in Denver think that riding year-round is possible, or a fool's errand?
Good idea to park the R1100 for the winter, ride the XT225 for a while, then step up to the F650GS, then the R1100 when the weather gets nice again next spring?
Might this make for a good (second) pair of bikes for myself and Jendywo? (30" inseam on both of us. She's on an '82 Yamaha XS400 Maxim, and on the balls of her feet, at that).
Does that look like a fair-ish trade (the car's worth 7500-10500, depending on which online appraisal tool I'm using - I paid $11500 for it 18 months ago)?
Is this more unfettered lunacy?

Your first thread was the good sort of lunacy...the giggles as you get into the powerband for the first time on a supersport.

This is the bad feeling in the pit of your stomach as the bike goes into a massive tankslapper sort of lunacy.

If you want to do this, you should sell the M3, buy a winter beater for 1000$ or whatever, and spend the rest of the money shopping for good deals on bikes. Winter is coming up, deals will be there to be had. At the moment, trading your M3 for those bikes would be giving them a good deal, and obviously that's not in your best interests. Sell the M3, buy a winter beater, and take the remaining 8-9k, and find some bikes that are just perfect for you guys.

This isn't a great deal as it stands, and you have more to lose than you do to gain by dumping your M3 at a loss for 2 more bikes that you could easily purchase plus a winter beater if you just sold the M3.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

Your first thread was the good sort of lunacy...the giggles as you get into the powerband for the first time on a supersport.

This is the bad feeling in the pit of your stomach as the bike goes into a massive tankslapper sort of lunacy.

This isn't a great deal as it stands, and you have more to lose than you do to gain by dumping your M3 at a loss for 2 more bikes that you could easily purchase plus a winter beater if you just sold the M3.
If I were looking to keep the M3, and offer them cash, what would be the number that would be a decent deal for the pair?
I came up with $2200-2500 for the Yamaha and around $5750-6250 for the BMW. Is that ballparky, y'think?

While I paid $11,500 for the M3 in 2007, I'm coming up with a value of around $8500 for the M3, and the M3's about due for tires (I was planning replacing the current set with a set of Snows in November, and proper summer tires in May).

Seems like it's *almost* an even deal, which is why it's been lurking in the back of my head this past week.

Once you add the necessity of (rather than the current "nice to have, so I can if I want") buying cold weather riding gear to the equation, though, you're right, the deal tips in their favor.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

If I were looking to keep the M3, and offer them cash, what would be the number that would be a decent deal for the pair?
I came up with $2200-2500 for the Yamaha and around $5750-6250 for the BMW. Is that ballparky, y'think?

While I paid $11,500 for the M3 in 2007, I'm coming up with a value of around $8500 for the M3, and the M3's about due for tires (I was planning replacing the current set with a set of Snows in November, and proper summer tires in May).

Seems like it's *almost* an even deal, which is why it's been lurking in the back of my head this past week.

Once you add the necessity of (rather than the current "nice to have, so I can if I want") buying cold weather riding gear to the equation, though, you're right, the deal tips in their favor.

The XT should be cheaper than that (if your pricing is like CA pricing), but I'm not sure what a reasonable deal is on the F650 GS is, I don't have a lot of experience with BMWs. Considering you guys have a riding season, I'd imagine prices would be dropping soon.

My biggest question about this deal from what you've described so far is: Are these the bikes you really want? Do you know what it's like to ride a 225 dual sport or a 650 single? These are bikes that can be sort of hit or miss, I know people that love them and people that despise them.

Also, riding in real winter conditions isn't something that I'd recommend to a new rider. We've got a few guys on here who do it and I'm sure they can chime in with more info, and I've got some other friends who ride in ice and snow, but it's not easy or recommended.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
I'll start with "I'm mostly talked myself out of this...I think..."

Z3n posted:

The XT should be cheaper than that (if your pricing is like CA pricing), but I'm not sure what a reasonable deal is on the F650 GS is, I don't have a lot of experience with BMWs.
I looked at prices from Ebay Autos (completed auctions), the IBMWR.org marketplace, Cycletrader, and Yakaz (which pulls nationally from craigslist) to get some sort of feel for the prices.
Same for the M3's current value - I looked at Autotrader for '96-'98 M3 automatics, and mostly, they're around 7500-9000, except for convertibles, which are hovering around 11k.

Z3n posted:

My biggest question about this deal from what you've described so far is: Are these the bikes you really want? Do you know what it's like to ride a 225 dual sport or a 650 single? These are bikes that can be sort of hit or miss, I know people that love them and people that despise them.
I know what it's like to ride the R1100RS (SOLID and stable, clutch and throttle that are a bit on the lightswitch side off idle, but smooth once rolling), and Jendywo's XS400 (more nimble at low speed, but clutch and throttle feel almost go-cart 'centrifugal', with really slow roll-on.)

I don't know so much about how the XT225 would ride, aside from the few ride reports I've read (Light, nimble, can keep up with much larger bikes under a wide range of circumstances. Slower on straights, agile in corners. It's a 4-stroke, so it won't sound like a drat chainsaw...much. Can be hard to start when cold, but has an electric starter, which makes life somewhat easier. The 31" seat might be just a tick high for Jendywo - maybe.)

The F650GS isn't *quite* the one I want (though it's very, very close). I'd prefer the 'relaunched' 2 cylinder version - I was drooling over one when I got the battery for the R1100. The new one with the low suspension, and seat in the lowest position, even with my short little legs, I could sit comfortably, flatfooted, with bent knees. It'd be a shoo-in for Jendywo.
I'm head over heels with the R1200GS and the KTM Adventure 990 (both style and utility and ability. ABS and fuel injection are a definite plus in my book), but they're both far, far too tall for me for daily use. I'd fall right over the first time I tried to put a foot down at a red light.
So, the F650 (old thumper or new twin...or...the new G650GS thumper) - they're about the same size) seems a good middle ground.

Z3n posted:

Also, riding in real winter conditions isn't something that I'd recommend to a new rider. We've got a few guys on here who do it and I'm sure they can chime in with more info, and I've got some other friends who ride in ice and snow, but it's not easy or recommended.
Meh, it's Denver. To hear the natives, we don't get 'real winters' anymore. We might get (tops) 10 winter days a year that aren't 'clean and dry'.
Cold? Yes. (somewhat) bitterly, on occasion.
Snowy/Icy? Not so much.
And we've got a beater Subaru I could (in theory) cadge from Jendywo on those 10 days...

I think I'm still mostly talked out of it, though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Seems like you've got a pretty decent handle on things then :)

If your days aren't icy, then riding isn't so bad, but black ice can be a complete bitch. I'm not really familiar with the weather in denver, haha. My vote is still sell the M3 and wait for the bike that you really want. After all, you can go through all the crashes pain joy of riding during the winter on your current bike :)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
I have talked myself out of entertaining the notion of a trade.

Z3n posted:

After all, you can go through all the crashes pain joy of riding during the winter on your current bike :)
...and I suspect that the current bike is rather more suitable for the "joy", given its current state of broken plastic parts and whatnot.

Glad to know that I'm coming along at a reasonable pace in my "is this really a stupid thing to do or not" analytical skills.

Jeff_The_Pimp
Jun 20, 2006
Pimp master J!
What do you y'all think of the LS650? It looks like a decent cruiser from the pics. Anybody have any experience with them?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm planning on getting rid of my 03' Accord in favor of a turbodiesel mercedes or possibly an old civic if I can find one that's well maintained. I'd like to ride 95% of the time, wife will use the beater (and she's totally fine with that, amazingly).

Paying $400 a month for a car I don't particularly like, want, or care about just seems stupid. That's a new (good) bike every 10 months or so!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/1387161718.html

Saw this today, thoughts? It's a 600cc, 60hp (I think).. Bigger than I had planned but probably tame enough right? I really do want a yamaha.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/1387786663.html

also this cruddy looking ninja 250, I bet I could talk them down on the price.

soy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 23, 2009

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
I'm completely new to motorcycles and looking to buy one over the winter and was wondering if I could get a brief rundown on 70's to 80's UJM single and twin cylinder bikes. I'd like to avoid anything larger than 2 cylinder, since the added weight and parts don't seem too helpful for new riders.

I realize every major manufacturer produced one of these bikes and there are a slew of different models, all I want is general reliability from different brands, any specific known problems for particular brands or bikes(yamaha electrical is one somebody mentioned), and I suppose some opinions on these bikes, since they seem like safe bets for starting out.

Also, I've budgeted about 1300 for a running, and hopefully at least moderate condition bike(I'm actually looking forward to working on it), and I have access to DC/Northern VA and Pittsburgh markets. Is getting a bike like I want in that price range particularly feasible?

And lastly, I don't know any motorcyclists in these areas to bring with me to help me look over a bike. I don't suppose anyone here would have any advice on how to avoid getting ripped off without an experienced rider around?

Fluffs McCloud fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 23, 2009

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

soy posted:

drat that ninja has more miles then mine. I need to fix that.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

PestiferousTrollop posted:

Also, I've budgeted about 1300 for a running, and hopefully at least moderate condition bike(I'm actually looking forward to working on it), and I have access to DC/Northern VA and Pittsburgh markets. Is getting a bike like I want in that price range particularly feasible?

And lastly, I don't know any motorcyclists in these areas to bring with me to help me look over a bike. I don't suppose anyone here would have any advice on how to avoid getting ripped off without an experienced rider around?

In the new rider thread you'll find a lot of advice on how to budget and select an 'inexpensive' first motorcycle. Without knowing what you're looking at (being generally good with engines and mechanical things) or a buddy who is, any bike in your price range could be risky: not necessarily risky on getting ripped off, but risky on it costing more to repair than you or the PO thought. I think it's been said that even a free bike will cost you about $1000...

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
I'm helping my girlfriend pick out a new bike. I came upon this and would be checking it out tomorrow. Is this a fair price?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/1380072810.html

I'm gonna see if I can negotiate down the price... if a valve clearance check hasn't been done at 12,000 mi, can I count that off the price?

I plan on helping her sell it this spring. Do bikes tend to have inflated values during the spring/beginning of the riding season?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

the walkin dude posted:

I'm helping my girlfriend pick out a new bike. I came upon this and would be checking it out tomorrow. Is this a fair price?

http://rochester.craigslist.org/mcy/1380072810.html

I'm gonna see if I can negotiate down the price... if a valve clearance check hasn't been done at 12,000 mi, can I count that off the price?

I plan on helping her sell it this spring. Do bikes tend to have inflated values during the spring/beginning of the riding season?

Already down.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Not down for me, weird.

Info:

for sale is a 02 ninja 250 in good condition,just did an oil change and installed a new clutch,this bike needs nothing to ride and is ready to roll.has 12600 miles and comes with a brand new rear tire which i did not have installed cause the one on it still has life.asking 1500 obo

It looks good from the pics. Bright green all over.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

the walkin dude posted:

Not down for me, weird.

Refresh and it'll go away. Annoying CL quirk.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Anyone? :( Is it a good buy?

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

the walkin dude posted:

Looks like it really is gone this time. I'd offer 1250 but I think 1500 with a new tire is a pretty good deal. Especially so late in the season, prices should be pretty low. We only got another month of good riding left here upstate.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

the walkin dude posted:

Can't see the ad, but based off of your info, I'd go with shaitan's plan.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Ok, on that ninja, if the owner did a clutch swap at 12,000 miles, what does that indicate? With a 2002 model? Does that possibly indicate that the owner was abusive of the clutch, of the bike?

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

soy posted:

I'm planning on getting rid of my 03' Accord in favor of a turbodiesel mercedes or possibly an old civic if I can find one that's well maintained. I'd like to ride 95% of the time, wife will use the beater (and she's totally fine with that, amazingly).

Paying $400 a month for a car I don't particularly like, want, or care about just seems stupid. That's a new (good) bike every 10 months or so!

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/1387161718.html

Saw this today, thoughts? It's a 600cc, 60hp (I think).. Bigger than I had planned but probably tame enough right? I really do want a yamaha.

Go with the Seca II. I bought one as my first bike and they're extremely forgiving, but still fast enough. Really easy to work on and a great overall bike to learn on. If you're in Los Angeles area and want someone to go with you to check it out, hit me up.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
Would this be a terrible thing for an absolute newb to spend cash on

Its way way cheaper than I had set my limit, and it doesn't seem like a huge amount of work to do on it, but then again.... What do you guys think the chances of this costing me more than what I'm paying if I do the work myself learning about the bike over the winter. What are the chances this bike is actually in terrible condition and the seller is a dirty liar whose just really good with soap and water.

I'm not even gonna be around the bike much until after the BRC, so maybe having to wait for a couple parts and put it together will keep me from falling into the old "I'm just going up the street" trap.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

the walkin dude posted:

Ok, on that ninja, if the owner did a clutch swap at 12,000 miles, what does that indicate? With a 2002 model? Does that possibly indicate that the owner was abusive of the clutch, of the bike?

Hard to say. A bike clutch is pretty tolerant of abuse, especially on something like a Ninja that isn't putting gobs of power down. They're a wet clutch so they don't mind if you slip them all day long. For reference some of the bikes at the local MSF course were pushing 50-60k with the original clutches no problem and they see epic amounts of abuse.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ari.gato posted:

Go with the Seca II. I bought one as my first bike and they're extremely forgiving, but still fast enough. Really easy to work on and a great overall bike to learn on. If you're in Los Angeles area and want someone to go with you to check it out, hit me up.

I got a bad vibe from the owner, so I'm going for the ninja and I'm pretty psyched about it. Going out to rosemead around noon tomorrow. The owner seems really cool, and very open about the condition... Seca guy wasn't.

I like the idea of a light bike, if it falls on my leg it wont hurt as much... Weighs about half of the seca... Also newer, and less miles. Not particularly fond of the bike or the brand but it'll be good for a year or two and then I'll sell it and probably break even.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

PestiferousTrollop posted:

Would this be a terrible thing for an absolute newb to spend cash on

Its way way cheaper than I had set my limit, and it doesn't seem like a huge amount of work to do on it, but then again.... What do you guys think the chances of this costing me more than what I'm paying if I do the work myself learning about the bike over the winter. What are the chances this bike is actually in terrible condition and the seller is a dirty liar whose just really good with soap and water.

I'm not even gonna be around the bike much until after the BRC, so maybe having to wait for a couple parts and put it together will keep me from falling into the old "I'm just going up the street" trap.

It should be doable, if everyone is as described. I'd go and check it out in person, maybe make an offer.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
Also, how easy is it to still find parts for these old 70's and 80's bikes. I've seen plenty of stuff for the yamaha XS's, but googling around for other series' parts I haven't had much luck. If I go with an older bike that might take a little maintainance, am I also gonna be stuck struggling to find parts, and using a bunch of used parts?

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

This is probably a pretty stupid idea but I'm out looking for a first bike at the moment and a guy near me is selling a '94 CB400 for a reasonable price near me and I'm sorely tempted by it. Now there's a few problems with it, it's a grey import so parts might be an issue, it's got some damage that would need to be fixed and I'm really not convinced on how far it's traveled, the figures on the odometer just seem really off.

So my thoughts at the moment are that if I picked it up I'd have to set aside some cash to fix it, but 1-1.5k should be enough to do a pretty major overhaul. If I look at the price it would be once fixed it still seems a good deal to me. Is this a really stupid idea? Would I just be sinking money into something that can't be fixed?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Went to see the ex250 today and decided against buying it.

The thing was kind of a heap, I could tell the chain and whatnot hadn't been lubed, oil light was on, tires felt deflated, tread was worn slick, had been dropped on it's right side and was missing front turn signal with a large hole in the faring.

Also realized while test driving it that I really want to take the MSF before I start riding. So it looks like bus country for me for a while longer, unless I can pickup a diesel Mercedes on the cheap, even if I do find a bike.

The trip out there wasn't a total waste though. The ex250 fits me very well, I like the weight of it and the power is absolutely fine for my purposes. I'm confident now that a sub 300cc bike is absolutely what I want for now. Also, going to see this bike motivated me to go pick up a proper set of gear. I bought top shelf stuff, so it set me back a little but that's a purchase I'm not at all regretting.

Also, http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/1393014910.html

Newer, 16k less miles, and babied/garaged instead of abused by some young dude.

soy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 27, 2009

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

the walkin dude posted:

20.000 Km. is a bit low for a clutch repair on a Ninja. That said, modern friction materials for wet clutches aren't anywhere near the old asbestos I grew up with. A clutch job on a 20K Km. bike wouldn't really scare me away.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Aargh posted:

This is probably a pretty stupid idea but I'm out looking for a first bike at the moment and a guy near me is selling a '94 CB400 for a reasonable price near me and I'm sorely tempted by it. Now there's a few problems with it, it's a grey import so parts might be an issue, it's got some damage that would need to be fixed and I'm really not convinced on how far it's traveled, the figures on the odometer just seem really off.

So my thoughts at the moment are that if I picked it up I'd have to set aside some cash to fix it, but 1-1.5k should be enough to do a pretty major overhaul. If I look at the price it would be once fixed it still seems a good deal to me. Is this a really stupid idea? Would I just be sinking money into something that can't be fixed?

The CB400s came with kilometer clocks, so if they're in miles, they have been replaced. That might explain some of the figures. They're quite easy bikes to work on, nothing's really tucked out of the way, except the carbs, and that's not unusual. Parts (at least for us, we're in the UK) aren't a huge problem, mostly found on eBay. Might want to check the charging system, one of my bikes needed it's R/R replaced, but we got that easily.

Quite simple bikes, but for the price point you get some serious hardware over other bikes. They come with dual front discs and a single rear disc, compared to things like the GS500 or ER-5 which can only come with a single front disc and/or rear drum. Dual rear shocks, not a monoshock, so easily accessible.

As for the bikes themselves, I can't recomend them enough for a new rider. Somewhere between 50 and 60 bhp (depending on where you're reading), so it's enough to have fun, get into trouble and still cruise comfortably. The smoothest engine I've ever experienced and they're so drat nimble. The bikes are small, but I'm 6'4" and I fit fine.

Oh yeah, and the reason I keep talking in plurals, my buddy has another CB400. Both are almost identical, at least according to the V5. Both black 1993 Honda CB400 Super Fours, imported from Japan.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
here is a reward for helping me figure out this whole bike thing:

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Is your riding gear....a puma track suit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well the pants are just my running shorts that I slept in, but basically. I'm glad I got a black helmet because if it was white I'd look like jack in the box.

I went in to try on helmets, turns out I am a XXXL size and they only had the one. At least it's a good brand. (wasn't cheap)