Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Trintintin posted:

Is your riding gear....a puma track suit?
Those are clearly Adidas. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

soy posted:

here is a reward for helping me figure out this whole bike thing:

I'm not easily scared, but I didn't expect Slenderman wearing a MC suit when I clicked this thread. gently caress!

Congrats on the Shoie helmet though. It's a good choice.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

soy posted:

well the pants are just my running shorts that I slept in, but basically. I'm glad I got a black helmet because if it was white I'd look like jack in the box.

I went in to try on helmets, turns out I am a XXXL size and they only had the one. At least it's a good brand. (wasn't cheap)

:aaaaa:

Everyone tells me I have a big head and my helmet is a large. Jesus you must have Saturn on your shoulders.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, it's huge. I was actually kind of disappointed at first when he said I was a XXL, when I saw that there existed a XXXL because up until then I'd pretty much been sure I had the largest possible head.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
Am I the only one who doesn't like the padding in the Suomy and Shoei helmets? I like my Icon padding better

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

soy posted:

Also realized while test driving it that I really want to take the MSF before I start riding.

This.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

ari.gato posted:

This.

This what? I don't get it, is that a complete sentence?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

shaitan posted:

That.

EDIT: The other.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

shaitan posted:

This as in taking the MSF course before you buy a bike is the smartest thing you can do.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ari.gato posted:

This as in taking the MSF course before you buy a bike is the smartest thing you can do.

Yeah, completely agree here. I'm not in any rush to buy a bike, but if I see some stellar deal I'd probably take it.

LabRat1
Apr 19, 2009
I took the local MSF course about 3 months ago and have been looking for a used bike to learn on. I've mostly been looking at local dealerships and on craigslist. I saw this and figured it would be something good to start out with, but the seller doesn't give much in the way of information. Its around the blue book price for the bike but thats still pretty cheap, so there's probably something wrong with it. Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had actually dealt with one of these bikes before, or maybe somebody could give me some advice on what to lookout for. I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam, so I have had some problems as far as finding something I can fit on. If any of you can suggest a bike to learn with that I might fit on that would be great. Thanks.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/1397328276.html

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Blaster of Justice posted:

I'm not easily scared, but I didn't expect Slenderman wearing a MC suit when I clicked this thread. gently caress!

Congrats on the Shoie helmet though. It's a good choice.

An HJC helmet and closeout leathers are a better choice than a Shoie and pajamas every day of the week.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LabRat1 posted:

I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam, so I have had some problems as far as finding something I can fit on. If any of you can suggest a bike to learn with that I might fit on that would be great. Thanks.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/1397328276.html

I'm exactly the same size as you, well.. I'm more of a 34" inseam.. But I test drove a ninja 250 and found that it fit almost perfectly. Which was surprising, I thought it would be way too small.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

LabRat1 posted:

If any of you can suggest a bike to learn with that I might fit on that would be great. Thanks.

I'm not saying your stuck with dual sports and adventure bikes, but you will probably find them a bit more comfortable than everything else.

Dual Sport
KLR 650
XR 650
DRZ400S

Supermoto
DRZ 400SM*
WR250X

*I highly recommend this one

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
What the hell is this? When was there a Honda 110cc bike that looked like that sold in the US? I can only think of dirt bikes that were 110ccs.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pvt. Public posted:

What the hell is this? When was there a Honda 110cc bike that looked like that sold in the US? I can only think of dirt bikes that were 110ccs.

It's not really a honda, it's just some built up pitbike. Probably based around a "Honda" engine (read, lifan).

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Pvt. Public posted:

Looks like a Lifan 110cc Honda clone/licensed copy engine powered large Pocket Bike to me.

Edit: beaten, and yes: http://www.extrememotorsales.com/superpocketbikex18.htm

Blaster of Justice fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 30, 2009

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Ah, well that makes sense then.

Edit: Nevermind, these things are loving tiny. Jesus it didn't look nearly that small in the pictures.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Sep 30, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Pvt. Public posted:

Ah, well that makes sense then. Are they worth a poo poo? I'd just use it to tool around town. I know Lifan is supposed to be making decent hardware these days, but what about the rest of the bike?

I wouldn't. It's a tiny motorcycle, questionably street legal, and you're better of spending 600$ finding an old but running mid 70s-80s small displacement bike to screw around on.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Oh god drat it, if I haddn't just bought the TransAlp. Not sure, is this a decent price?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1359549425.html

quote:

1980 Honda CBX - $3600
Beautiful 6 cylinder collectors item. Has only 20,000 miles great shape, runs and drives great, everything excellent-paint, seat, tires, brakes,-just everything..clean and clear title-has extras-fork brace, koni shocks, header, K&N air filter and more..

guys, I think I might have a thing for old Hondas. Hold Me.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Oct 2, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

blugu64 posted:

Oh god drat it, if I haddn't just bought the TransAlp. Not sure, is this a decent price?
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1359549425.html

guys, I think I might have a thing for old Hondas. Hold Me.

That seems a little on the high side, but given that they're oddball bikes, they're really worth what you're willing to pay.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

blugu64 posted:

guys, I think I might have a thing for old Hondas. HoldShoot Me.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
I have been mulling over the V-Strom DL650 and the Versys 650 lately.

I want a dual-sport bike that leans more towards a street bike, however I want it as non-sporty as possible. Something with a good suspension and good for extended rides, however would also hold its own if I wanted to take it on unpaved roads, etc.

The V-Strom is looking to be the favorite at the moment, though the Versys has the advantage of being cheaper. Anyone have any experience on either bikes or has an opinion of one versus the other?

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So I took the MSF in CA and I didn't quite pass the final exam part (stupid mistakes on my part, didn't drop the bike or anything) and I just took the DMV written test and now have a permit. I'm looking into getting my first bike already and as something to practice with around town, I just test drove a 2004 GS 500f and I love it, I like it a lot more than the ninja 500. The guy even said he'd deliver it to my town and hes asking 1800$, Bike has 15k miles and when I checked it seemed pretty much brand new, never dropped, no scratches or anything, it pretty much just needs a front tire.

Should I do it goons?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The road test in Culver City (The 70's starbase paint themed) DMV is really really easy if you don't want to wait to retake the MSF and have access to a bike.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I have been mulling over the V-Strom DL650 and the Versys 650 lately.

I want a dual-sport bike that leans more towards a street bike, however I want it as non-sporty as possible. Something with a good suspension and good for extended rides, however would also hold its own if I wanted to take it on unpaved roads, etc.

The V-Strom is looking to be the favorite at the moment, though the Versys has the advantage of being cheaper. Anyone have any experience on either bikes or has an opinion of one versus the other?

I ride a Strom, and it's a great amount of fun, it'll do exactly what you said. I suspect so would the Versys, though I've heard it's a little less worthy offroad. Neither are true DS bikes like a KLR, XR or DR650. I wouldn't take either up into the woods, though I'm sure some do. Both leave important bits dangling out in midair - the Strom's oil cooler and filter are positioned right down near the front tire, and the Versys has that underslung muffler. Also, both are fairly heavy compared to a purpose-built DS. Unpaved (gravel/hardpack) roads should be fine. I don't know the Versys' aftermarket, but there's a ridiculous amount of farkles for the V-strom, though not so much on the performance end.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
I've been thinking about my coworker's 1973 Suzuki GT185 (yes, a 185cc. it's adorable). He's lowered the price down to $900, and that sounds nice for what'd be my first bike. The only problems I can see are a non-functional starter, and a couple tiny scratches, and a tear in the seat cover from dropping the bike. Otherwise, she's beautiful, complete with collector's plates. It's smooth for a two-stroke, and had enough get-up-and-go to zip us both around on our test drive.

Should I try to talk him down more (to $800 or so, was my thought), or pony up $900 and not worry about it?

Also, what am I forgetting to take into consideration?

Click here for the full 835x592 image.

GlazedMcGuffin fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 3, 2009

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Phy posted:

I ride a Strom, and it's a great amount of fun, it'll do exactly what you said. I suspect so would the Versys, though I've heard it's a little less worthy offroad. Neither are true DS bikes like a KLR, XR or DR650. I wouldn't take either up into the woods, though I'm sure some do. Both leave important bits dangling out in midair - the Strom's oil cooler and filter are positioned right down near the front tire, and the Versys has that underslung muffler. Also, both are fairly heavy compared to a purpose-built DS. Unpaved (gravel/hardpack) roads should be fine. I don't know the Versys' aftermarket, but there's a ridiculous amount of farkles for the V-strom, though not so much on the performance end.

Yeah, I am not looking to *truly* off-road. However, I would be riding up in PA a lot, which has roads which are equivalent to below. Also, after reading Tsaven Nava's thread about riding through Canada, I might consider taking some time to go up into Ontario. Just really crappy unpaved roads at worst. No trails or anything.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Those roads are nothing. I do grass driveways and grated sand roads on my sportbike.

However, every V-Strom owner I ever met thought their bike was the absolute greatest thing on earth.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
I don't think I have to ask...

Too bad I'm broke until tax time. :cry:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

infraboy posted:

So I took the MSF in CA and I didn't quite pass the final exam part (stupid mistakes on my part, didn't drop the bike or anything) and I just took the DMV written test and now have a permit. I'm looking into getting my first bike already and as something to practice with around town, I just test drove a 2004 GS 500f and I love it, I like it a lot more than the ninja 500. The guy even said he'd deliver it to my town and hes asking 1800$, Bike has 15k miles and when I checked it seemed pretty much brand new, never dropped, no scratches or anything, it pretty much just needs a front tire.

Should I do it goons?
Do it, that's good deal if everything has been maintained.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Yeah, I am not looking to *truly* off-road. However, I would be riding up in PA a lot, which has roads which are equivalent to below. Also, after reading Tsaven Nava's thread about riding through Canada, I might consider taking some time to go up into Ontario. Just really crappy unpaved roads at worst. No trails or anything.

Pft, if you read my thread, you should also know that you don't need any sort of specialized bike for roads like that. :)

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

That is not a really crappy road :colbert:

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

blugu64 posted:

That is not a really crappy road :colbert:

Well I live in Baltimore Cit...

..wait nevermind, our paved roads are probably worse that that as well.

Either way though, that was just the first image for dirt road I got off of Google images. In the end, looking for something that can handle itself well off the beaten path.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:ssh: Gravel road is beaten path.

But really for what you're looking to do, either is ideal. It basically comes down to if you have any strong feelings about either manufacturer, or what kind of deal you can get. If it'll tip the balance at all, the Versys doesn't come stock with a rear rack, the V-Strom does. And the larger front wheel on the Strom would be a little better on soft surfaces, the 17" on the Versys is more for tarmac.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

GlazedMcGuffin posted:

I've been thinking about my coworker's 1973 Suzuki GT185 (yes, a 185cc. it's adorable). He's lowered the price down to $900, and that sounds nice for what'd be my first bike. The only problems I can see are a non-functional starter, and a couple tiny scratches, and a tear in the seat cover from dropping the bike. Otherwise, she's beautiful, complete with collector's plates. It's smooth for a two-stroke, and had enough get-up-and-go to zip us both around on our test drive.

Should I try to talk him down more (to $800 or so, was my thought), or pony up $900 and not worry about it?

Also, what am I forgetting to take into consideration?

Click here for the full 835x592 image.

Before you pay $900 for that... I want to see pictures of it. $900, it better look like new. An absolutely mint GS425 went for $586 on friday. The GT185 is a very good bike, they're quick, and suzuki was the master of 2 strokes back then.

I'm fairly sure the GT185 didn't have electric start... Ah, now that I look, the electric start was an option. So it may not be functional, because it didn't have it in the first place. The GS400 in my garage is kickstart only, the GS425 is electric start... Just a different set of options.

I could see paying $900, if it has fresh chain, fresh tires, mint grips, fresh battery, new rubber covers on the kick lever and foot pegs, and unfoggy guages.

Unless you're in canada.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

Z3n posted:

Do it, that's good deal if everything has been maintained.

I'd already decided like a few hours after driving it that night, all I can say is the GS500 is a fantastic bike and definitely good for a new rider. God I was just wanting to ride a bike so my commutes and parking could be a lot easier, but now that I have a permit, my own bike, and my own gear, just a short trip to the bank is incredibly fun, am I falling in love?

Too bad i'm working too much this week to retake the 2nd day of the rider course and pass the riding exam at the end, but it gives me lots of time to practice.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I'm looking to buy my first sport bike which I'll be using to commute to and from class pretty much every day. It's about 32 miles one way, 22 of those miles being on the highway. I go over a couple of bridges that get pretty windy occasionally, enough so that I can feel it in my '06 Sentra. The main highway I'll be traveling (20 miles) has no commercial vehicles but traffic in the left lane is a fairly constant 75-80mph.

I'm sure the crosswinds on the bridges will be fairly unnerving on any bike but this in conjunction with a tendency to stick to the left lane makes me feel like I should be looking at something a step up from a 250. I'm not a totally inexperienced rider and I'll definitely be taking the MSF course.

Should I be looking at a 250 anyway? If not, any suggestions?

edit: vvv That's exactly the reason I didn't specify exactly what I was looking at. I didn't know if any of them were going to be up to it. I wasn't really looking for advice on a specific bike, just some general things I should be looking at.

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 5, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
A 250? What 250? A TU250? A WR250? A EX250? A Rebel 250? A nighthawk 250? A KLX250?

But it doesn't end there. You need a bike that will comfortably do 80mph. Of the 250's out there, there's only one that will.

But why are you focused on displacement? It's been said so often it's hard for me to say it again. DO NOT FOCUS ON DISPLACEMENT. If you're doing 30miles each way, every day, you want something comfortable. You won't be comfortable if you're constantly wondering who's coming up behind you and having no maneuvering options left to you.

For comfortable highway travel, I want a bike that will do at least 100mph. That means something with ~30hp. The EX250/ninja 250 qualifies. So does the GS500, and Ninja 500. And KLR650. And the DRZ650, and DRZ400. And a whole lot of other bikes. There are a whole bunch of cruisers that would do nicely as well, but I know jack squat about the offerings that are out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Nerobro posted:

A 250? What 250? A TU250? A WR250? A EX250? A Rebel 250? A nighthawk 250? A KLX250?

But it doesn't end there. You need a bike that will comfortably do 80mph. Of the 250's out there, there's only one that will.

But why are you focused on displacement? It's been said so often it's hard for me to say it again. DO NOT FOCUS ON DISPLACEMENT. If you're doing 30miles each way, every day, you want something comfortable. You won't be comfortable if you're constantly wondering who's coming up behind you and having no maneuvering options left to you.

For comfortable highway travel, I want a bike that will do at least 100mph. That means something with ~30hp. The EX250/ninja 250 qualifies. So does the GS500, and Ninja 500. And KLR650. And the DRZ650, and DRZ400. And a whole lot of other bikes. There are a whole bunch of cruisers that would do nicely as well, but I know jack squat about the offerings that are out there.

I wasn't absolutely focused on displacement but just from what I've been led to believe a 250cc bike is a good starter. I'm not all that well informed and was just looking for some general advice which you ended up giving me. I said in my original post I was looking for a sport bike and ideally I'd like to stay away from cruisers and dual-sports.

The reason I asked is because when looking around for some information some places make it seem as if the Ninja 250, or any 250cc for that matter, would be a bad choice for the type of traveling I'm doing. This is all I really wanted to double check.