Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Got a Clymer, gonna pore through it. thanks guys :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
So I've posted in here about the '74 CB200 project that I picked up for next to nothing before, and today need some real guidance about my next move. So, I finally broke down and bought the compression tester I needed to do a good test today after not being able to get it running, and lo and behold I was getting 35psi and 55psi out of each cylinder, respectively. Everything I've read has told me I'm in a world of hurt now.

The bike itself is in great shape and has 6600km on it, so I'm reluctant to just start parting it out but realistically if this means I'm gonna have to toss $2000 in a 35 year old 200cc bike than forget it.

Thoughts?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Did you try pouring a teaspoon of oil into each cylinder? If it has been sitting for a while, it could be just bone dry cylinder walls (although I expect you've cranked it quite a bit so oil should have circulated) or it could be poor valve clearance.

If the compression increases with oil in, the problem is the piston rings. If it remains the same, it's the valves.

Also, did you remember to have the throttle wide open? I say this to everyone doing compression tests, even then I forget to do it myself.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
The cold weather has made me realize I have an exhaust leak where the header pipe is welded to the muffler. What's the best way to patch? Grind away the rusted area and ... ?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

UserNotFound posted:

The cold weather has made me realize I have an exhaust leak where the header pipe is welded to the muffler. What's the best way to patch? Grind away the rusted area and ... ?

Reweld is basically the only longer lasting option.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Corrupt Cypher posted:

So I've posted in here about the '74 CB200 project that I picked up for next to nothing before, and today need some real guidance about my next move. So, I finally broke down and bought the compression tester I needed to do a good test today after not being able to get it running, and lo and behold I was getting 35psi and 55psi out of each cylinder, respectively. Everything I've read has told me I'm in a world of hurt now.

The bike itself is in great shape and has 6600km on it, so I'm reluctant to just start parting it out but realistically if this means I'm gonna have to toss $2000 in a 35 year old 200cc bike than forget it.

Thoughts?

Check what Ola mentions, but you should be able to find a CB200 engine around for relatively cheap (few hundred, ideally). Depending on what's wrong, some simple swapping may sort things out, or you may just be able to swap in a running engine and off you go.

Figure out if it's the rings first though, if it is, just run it and see how it goes :) It should run just fine with the rings not sealing properly, so your problem is probably in the carbs.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I decided on my first bike! I'm getting a Monster 696 in pearl white. Looks good, feels good, runs great, and I couldn't be happier about my decision.

The thing is, I'm a guy on the internet and I'm easily put off by people's opinions a lot of the time, so while the suggestion to get the 696 was an overwhelming one, I get a lot of people who say that it's the kind of bike that I'll want to move on from in six to twelve months and that it's worth going for something a bit more powerful. I completely disagree with that, but it made me wonder...

I know a lot of folks tend to modify their Monsters, and I know the first thing I wanted to do on mine after a couple months was the exhausts and maybe even the ECU. I know I'll want to stick with the bike for a long while (as long as possible!), but is it worth upgrading the bike and customizing it a bit, or is it really seen by the rest of the bike world as a "toy" more than a real motorcycle? Naturally, I adore the bike and I don't consider it that, but I'm a newbie rider, so I'm pretty impressed by drat near anything at this early point.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
It's a real motorcycle for sure, but just keep in mind, it's your first motorcycle not your last.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Don't worry about upgrading the thing until you've ridden it for a while. I promise that as a newbie rider, you will not get bored with this thing in a few months.

Also, it's not a toy and don't ever treat it like one.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

MrKatharsis posted:

Don't worry about upgrading the thing until you've ridden it for a while. I promise that as a newbie rider, you will not get bored with this thing in a few months.

Also, it's not a toy and don't ever treat it like one.
Wise words. That's the attitude I take, especially when new riders all around me are saying, "Yeah, man, I'm getting a Gixxer!" and I would say, "I'll probably get a GS650F," and catch poo poo for it for not getting a "real bike." I've decided the majority of people are idiots.

I'm tickled pink by the Monster and I really can't wait to pick it up and start riding it every single day. I'm finally livin' the dream! (And I'm the only person in this town with a Ducati.)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nasam posted:

I decided on my first bike! I'm getting a Monster 696 in pearl white. Looks good, feels good, runs great, and I couldn't be happier about my decision.

The thing is, I'm a guy on the internet and I'm easily put off by people's opinions a lot of the time, so while the suggestion to get the 696 was an overwhelming one, I get a lot of people who say that it's the kind of bike that I'll want to move on from in six to twelve months and that it's worth going for something a bit more powerful. I completely disagree with that, but it made me wonder...

I know a lot of folks tend to modify their Monsters, and I know the first thing I wanted to do on mine after a couple months was the exhausts and maybe even the ECU. I know I'll want to stick with the bike for a long while (as long as possible!), but is it worth upgrading the bike and customizing it a bit, or is it really seen by the rest of the bike world as a "toy" more than a real motorcycle? Naturally, I adore the bike and I don't consider it that, but I'm a newbie rider, so I'm pretty impressed by drat near anything at this early point.

Are you buying one new?

It's not recommended.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Don't let this internet opinion sway you, but the Monster is a bit of a poser bike. It's not used for touring, canyon carving or tracking, but mainly looking cool in the city. So the owners quickly adorn with jewels like noisy exhausts, open clutch covers, Dolce & Gabbana tank protector and any carbon fibre bit available.

Okay, I'm exaggerating a bit. It's a very popular bike for a good reason, it does most motorcycling jobs really well and because Monster customization is so popular it means there's a huge aftermarket. Ride it bone stock for a while and read up on what's available and why people do it. You'll find a lot of crappy mods done for dumb reasons just like with most every other bike, you'll quickly figure out what you want if you want anything at all.

Congrats!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nasam posted:

:raise: It's 80hp and 360 lbs. What the gently caress are people moving up to, a Hayabusa?

That said - bikes are like pie. There's always room for more.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I rode the Monster 696 at the Ducati Revs event a few months back and its FANTASTIC. Light, handles great, plenty of oomph for street riding. I will always tell people the 696 is a great bike. I'd own one in a heartbeat!

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Nasam posted:

As a new rider on a new Ducati you need to make the following modifications right away. Frame sliders, bar end sliders, axle sliders. You can thank me later.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

You're just gonna want to move up to an 1198R in a few months anyway soooo...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zool posted:

As a new rider on a new Ducati you need to make the following modifications right away. Frame sliders, bar end sliders, axle sliders. You can thank me later.

OK definitely do this. First time riders who drop their new Ducatis ought to, in my opinion, be clubbed with clubs. First-time riders who drop their new Ducatis on replaceable aftermarket kit designed to keep the ground away from the pretty Italian bits ought only to be scolded.

e: Where do your sliders mount? VV

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 3, 2009

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
I am wary of using framsliders on my bike though it is nearly 15 years older since it is possible for the slider to cause cracks in the engine case. That'll ruin your day I'm sure.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

CSi-NA-EJ7 posted:

I am wary of using framsliders on my bike though it is nearly 15 years older since it is possible for the slider to cause cracks in the engine case. That'll ruin your day I'm sure.

It's more likely the road will cause a crack in the engine case than a slider.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've been riding my SV for a couple weeks and I love it but I have one major complaint...the horn. It is too quiet, way too quiet. Around town and under 45 it's ok but at 75+ interstate speeds it is a joke. Had one guy not even notice it in a parking lot yesterday.

So who has had good experience with what horribly loud horns? I doubt the SV alternator puts out a ton of power but I would think I could find something that would work without killing my battery if I used it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've been riding my SV for a couple weeks and I love it but I have one major complaint...the horn. It is too quiet, way too quiet. Around town and under 45 it's ok but at 75+ interstate speeds it is a joke. Had one guy not even notice it in a parking lot yesterday.

So who has had good experience with what horribly loud horns? I doubt the SV alternator puts out a ton of power but I would think I could find something that would work without killing my battery if I used it.

I actually just picked up a generic 12V horn from NAPA for the Bandit. Its original round horn died after getting wet one too many times. I got the snailshell type, thats technically for a car, but its really loud, so it works.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I put a loud rear end horn on my old cruiser and it was the best thing ever.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

I actually just picked up a generic 12V horn from NAPA for the Bandit. Its original round horn died after getting wet one too many times. I got the snailshell type, thats technically for a car, but its really loud, so it works.

I want something louder than a stock car horn. I'm thinking semi volume if possible...I want the idiot in the car with loud pipes and a cranked stereo on his cell phone eating breakfast and reading the newspaper at 80mph inching into my lane to poo poo himself when I hit the horn.

The NonBornKing
Jun 25, 2007
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds, I took a shot o' cocaine and I shot my woman down.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I want something louder than a stock car horn. I'm thinking semi volume if possible...I want the idiot in the car with loud pipes and a cranked stereo on his cell phone eating breakfast and reading the newspaper at 80mph inching into my lane to poo poo himself when I hit the horn.

I've always dreamed of this. I've looked around on the internet before and found "120 dB" horns, but I've never gone ahead and gotten one because I was worried about powering the thing. They use an air-compressor to create the noise.

I found this one for $30: http://www.superiorhorns.com/viking-horns/air-horns/compact-dual-trumpet-air-horn.html, it's only 110 dB though. :dance:

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

The NonBornKing posted:

I've always dreamed of this. I've looked around on the internet before and found "120 dB" horns, but I've never gone ahead and gotten one because I was worried about powering the thing. They use an air-compressor to create the noise.

I found this one for $30: http://www.superiorhorns.com/viking-horns/air-horns/compact-dual-trumpet-air-horn.html, it's only 110 dB though. :dance:
My MSF instructor had a big harley, and he'd installed one of the electric horns. Thing was loud as all gently caress, and sounded more or less like a truck horn. I imagine whoever you blasted it next to would be too worried about WTF was going on to notice whether it replicated an air horn precicely.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

The NonBornKing posted:

GET ONE. GET THE AIR COMPRESSOR AND GET YOUR SHOP TO INSTALL IT. IT IS THE BEST THING EVER.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is still the gold standard to which all loud horns shall be measured.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24DFiLfzjfE

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

GET ONE. GET THE AIR COMPRESSOR AND GET YOUR SHOP TO INSTALL IT. IT IS THE BEST THING EVER.

Aerostitch catalog showed up today and they have air horns :) Very loud air horns...

139db http://www.aerostich.com/ear-cannon-air-horn.html
132db http://www.aerostich.com/fiamm-freeway-blaster-horn-low-tone.html

I know I'm going to accidently hit it some morning and scare the poo poo out of myself but it will be worth it.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Thoughts?

A simple valve job would be my first thought. Tear it apart, post pictures when in doubt and let's walk you through it. 6,6K Km is really low, and I seriously doubt anything will be seriously wrong with a CB200 after just that. Let's have a look at her insides.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Nasam posted:

You kind of figured it out by yourself. What you really need for a starter bike is a pearl white Suzuki Hayabusa.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is actually what I bought from NAPA for $15 for the Bandit. I have the high tone one though. Very loud and sharp sound.

If you dont feel like waiting for shipping check your local NAPA.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Phat_Albert posted:

This is actually what I bought from NAPA for $15 for the Bandit. I have the high tone one though. Very loud and sharp sound.

If you dont feel like waiting for shipping check your local NAPA.

I called up my Dad after that post because i knew he had installed one of those. Turns out when he crashed his R1100RT he pulled it and the R1150RT came with one on it already. Going to pick it up when I drive through WI next weekend, its the 139db high and low version.

Another question for you guys. Are there any good articles on motorcycle handlebars and their effect on handling? Wondering about height, width, etc. The handlebars on my SV are flipped to give it a more sportbike feeling and while I like how it feels in the corners it does get a bit uncomfortable on long (200+ miles) rides. Was wondering if I should put the bars back to stock, look at clip-ons or something else. Just wondering what effect on handling everything has.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Oct 5, 2009

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

Blaster of Justice posted:

A simple valve job would be my first thought. Tear it apart, post pictures when in doubt and let's walk you through it. 6,6K Km is really low, and I seriously doubt anything will be seriously wrong with a CB200 after just that. Let's have a look at her insides.

Well, I finally got to it today and did as I was instructed and re-tried the compression test before and after adding oil through the spark plug entries. There was no noticable difference in the readings. I also wanted to double check I wasn't being stupid last time and retried with the throttle closed, and again once it was open. The numbers were pretty similar once again, so I'm not sure what that means.

When you say valve job do you mean just checking the gapping on them? I've already read up on adjusting them and was planning on doing it in the next few days, or do you mean taking the entire cover off the engine and having a look at the head?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Corrupt Cypher posted:

There was no noticable difference in the readings.

Good news, that means the piston rings most likely are ok. And yes, he means checking the gapping. If the clearances are good it could mean a burnt valves, broken seats or something else - that means the head comes off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

I called up my Dad after that post because i knew he had installed one of those. Turns out when he crashed his R1100RT he pulled it and the R1150RT came with one on it already. Going to pick it up when I drive through WI next weekend, its the 139db high and low version.

Another question for you guys. Are there any good articles on motorcycle handlebars and their effect on handling? Wondering about height, width, etc. The handlebars on my SV are flipped to give it a more sportbike feeling and while I like how it feels in the corners it does get a bit uncomfortable on long (200+ miles) rides. Was wondering if I should put the bars back to stock, look at clip-ons or something else. Just wondering what effect on handling everything has.

Clipons or lowered handlebars just change the ergos of the bike. Experiment until you find something you like.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So I'm following instructions for doing a valve clearance adjustment on my 250. I came to finding the clearance of my first valve, and it was too tight. So I went and started loosening the tappet locknut so I can turn the screw in it.

Resistance. Resistance. Just wrench... not too much strength... then snap! The rocker arm came out of its hole. Shocked, I tried putting it back in and it was tough. So I pulled it out and took a look at it.

I fear that I might have broken off one of the "wings" on the end of it.

See that the upper part has that "wing" for pushing down. The other side looks like it's been broken off. I'm not quite sure. Are there supposed to be wings? And was it supposed to "snap" off like that?

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 5, 2009

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Im more than likely about to lose my health insurance. I have decent bike coverage, should I up it? get uninsured drive coverage? Or does bike insurance only cover my bike?

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

BlueBayou posted:

Im more than likely about to lose my health insurance. I have decent bike coverage, should I up it? get uninsured drive coverage? Or does bike insurance only cover my bike?

Make sure you have medical coverage on your motorcycle policy. Explicitly ask your agent this.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Also, when you do get new medical coverage, check to see if they consider motorcycles as "dangerous activities" or whatever the gently caress and exclude you if you're riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

the walkin dude posted:

Are there supposed to be wings? And was it supposed to "snap" off like that?
a rocker should never come out of the head while you're just fiddling with the adjusting screw. yours has to be broken. but i can't tell from looking at it exactly what is broken. i'm not familiar with those rockers. i'm amazed you were able to just snap it off with sheer force of will, though. rockers are usually pretty tough.

BlueBayou posted:

just watch out you don't get euthanized by obama's death panel after a lowside!