Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

the walkin dude posted:

So I'm following instructions for doing a valve clearance adjustment on my 250. I came to finding the clearance of my first valve, and it was too tight. So I went and started loosening the tappet locknut so I can turn the screw in it.

Resistance. Resistance. Just wrench... not too much strength... then snap! The rocker arm came out of its hole. Shocked, I tried putting it back in and it was tough. So I pulled it out and took a look at it.

I fear that I might have broken off one of the "wings" on the end of it.

See that the upper part has that "wing" for pushing down. The other side looks like it's been broken off. I'm not quite sure. Are there supposed to be wings? And was it supposed to "snap" off like that?

Here's a diagram I grabbed from bikebandit.

Click here for the full 1020x1424 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
Here's two better pictures.

In this picture, it was the bottom of the screw assembly that popped out from my perception. Smooth ball bottom. Like in that bike bandit diagram, but instead of looking like it has a boxy bottom, the "92009" has a rounded ball-shaped bottom. I tried to pop it back into its spot, but I couldn't do it.

In this picture, it's supposed to be symmetrical - both sides having protruding notches on the bottom. The right one broke off.

Where is the rocker assembly supposed to attach itself to the valve/springs, etc? Through the "ball"-shaped part, or through the part that broke off in the above image?

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 5, 2009

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

BlueBayou posted:

Im more than likely about to lose my health insurance. I have decent bike coverage, should I up it? get uninsured drive coverage? Or does bike insurance only cover my bike?

I could only get $1000 worth of medical coverage from State Farm, which if you're not familiar with emergency medical costs, is usually enough to cover the ambulance fees and little else. Better than nothing I guess.

This reminds me though, I have health insurance now so maybe it's time to cancel that.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003
A coworker of mine picked up a 1980 Suzuki DS80 for a whole $40. He had to pick up a couple parts to get it running, but the thing started up on the third kick. I'm helping him look for manuals for it, but coming up short. Anybody know where I might be able to download the owner or service manuals?

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Does CA have an IRC channel? If so, what is it?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

the walkin dude posted:

Here's two better pictures.

In this picture, it was the bottom of the screw assembly that popped out from my perception. Smooth ball bottom. Like in that bike bandit diagram, but instead of looking like it has a boxy bottom, the "92009" has a rounded ball-shaped bottom. I tried to pop it back into its spot, but I couldn't do it.

In this picture, it's supposed to be symmetrical - both sides having protruding notches on the bottom. The right one broke off.

Where is the rocker assembly supposed to attach itself to the valve/springs, etc? Through the "ball"-shaped part, or through the part that broke off in the above image?

looking at your pics and the diagram the other guy found, i cannot make sense of your rockers. all rockers i've seen attach to and pivot around a shaft of some kind. yours appears to have no shaft.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006
Well I adjusted the valves, one of the nuts turned out to have its threading hosed so that made one of them a lovely process (that is still incomplete until home hardware is open), but I was able to get the one cylinder completely finished and run a compression test. 45-60psi, gently caress! I take it my next step is to pull the cylinder head off and start taking pictures for you guys to have a look at?

Aaaand this is about where I'm in over my head, blind ambition and confidence!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

sectoidman posted:

Does CA have an IRC channel? If so, what is it?
irc.synirc.net i think
#bieks

Corrupt Cypher posted:

Well I adjusted the valves, one of the nuts turned out to have its threading hosed so that made one of them a lovely process (that is still incomplete until home hardware is open), but I was able to get the one cylinder completely finished and run a compression test. 45-60psi, gently caress! I take it my next step is to pull the cylinder head off and start taking pictures for you guys to have a look at?

Aaaand this is about where I'm in over my head, blind ambition and confidence!
you sure you adjusted them at tdc on the correct cylinder? otherwise it could be valves, head gasket or piston/rings. all of those are fairly big jobs.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

looking at your pics and the diagram the other guy found, i cannot make sense of your rockers. all rockers i've seen attach to and pivot around a shaft of some kind. yours appears to have no shaft.

Apparently the part that broke off is supposed to fit into the nub in the middle of the washer that's topping the springs and valve. The ball-shaped part is supposed to just slip into a hole... yeah.

Corrupt Cypher
Jul 20, 2006

you sure you adjusted them at tdc on the correct cylinder? otherwise it could be valves, head gasket or piston/rings. all of those are fairly big jobs.

Pretty confident, I watched for each tappet to go down, and then lined up the T when it was coming up from its stroke. I can double check though.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
should i spent money to turn my this:

into this:

?

for awesome vintage enduro riding.

i dunno why i ask. i know you'll all say yes.

it would take 2 new fenders, custom skid plate, custom headers and muffler. and some kinda headlight guard for the full shebang. just saw a rear fender on ebay that might work, and will be cheap because it was already dicked with.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

should i spent money to turn my this:

This may help. Here is a 1966 Yamaha YDS3 Catalina like the one I own right now.

This is the YDS3 Big Bear Scrambler, a sort of enduro/dual sport trim package they offered:

Now which one is more awesome?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

`Nemesis posted:

I could only get $1000 worth of medical coverage from State Farm, which if you're not familiar with emergency medical costs, is usually enough to cover the ambulance fees and little else. Better than nothing I guess.

This reminds me though, I have health insurance now so maybe it's time to cancel that.

Check your ambulance/ER deductible first. Even if you're insured out the wazoo, it's probably at least $500.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

BlueBayou posted:

Im more than likely about to lose my health insurance. I have decent bike coverage, should I up it? get uninsured drive coverage? Or does bike insurance only cover my bike?

Realistically, don't ride. The insurance that comes from car/bike insurance is a small lump payment. To put the fees in some kind of perspective, a broken arm will rack up 2-3k before you ever leave the ER. And that's potentially still with a broken body part. Then you're talking $1000-5000 for the visit to a real doctor to get said limb fixed.

You're young, you're healthy, insurance should be in the ballpark of $2-400 a month. Get that, or don't ride.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Aren't you guys getting universal healthcare soon? Get out there and drag those kneecaps!

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
I'm hopping over to a new insurance company that handled my buddy's motorcycle claim very well. They want an additional $112 a year for $10,000 of medical coverage per person involved in any accident on my motorcycle policy.

Try shopping around, I don't think $1,000 would have paid for my ambulance ride from the middle of nowhere, Idaho.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

`Nemesis posted:

Unless you're paying out the rear end for it, keep it. They typically both pay if something happens.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Nerobro posted:

Realistically, don't ride. The insurance that comes from car/bike insurance is a small lump payment. To put the fees in some kind of perspective, a broken arm will rack up 2-3k before you ever leave the ER. And that's potentially still with a broken body part. Then you're talking $1000-5000 for the visit to a real doctor to get said limb fixed.

You're young, you're healthy, insurance should be in the ballpark of $2-400 a month. Get that, or don't ride.

Or... apparently I can get COBRA

this whole unemployment thing is so new to me

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Yes COBRA, cobra is good. Very good. It's the same policy you had, but you pay 40% for it instead of all of it. It lasts 6 months. DO NOT miss a payment. If you miss a payment, you miss your insurance.

Good luck on the job hunt.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
Okay yeah I know I'm a dork on a scooter. That being established:

I bought this:
http://www.peaceindustrygroup.com/details.asp?id=372
off a guy for $800 bucks, it's a 2007 and had 76 miles on it.

Runs great, but it's time to change the oil. I have no owner's manual and have had a hell of a time finding any info at all about it. What oil should I be using?

Also I know I have to drain the gas for winter storage, anything else I should be doing?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Why do you have to drain the gas, is this some scooter specific poo poo, I always heard to fill it up to the brim to prevent rust.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

niethan posted:

Why do you have to drain the gas, is this some scooter specific poo poo, I always heard to fill it up to the brim to prevent rust.

I dunno I've had a few different scooter owners tell me to drain it, that it's bad to let the gas sit all winter and it'll run like poo poo when you start it in the spring if you don't.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

If you don't have a local scooter store, just put regular ol' 10W-30 in it and report back. You bought a piece of Chinese junk, you should treat it as such.

The "Warranty" header on this site is loltastic:

quote:

What is the production technology ?
It's the Oxidation of Sodium Chlorate.
Where can your products be applied ?
They can be used in water and oil bases.
Packing:
Inner packing: two film-bags
Outer packing: paper-plastic bags of shower proof and solar controlling. Products of 1 TM on a pallet. A 20? container can load products of 20TMS.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

MrKatharsis posted:

The "Warranty" header on this site is loltastic:

Yeah I don't know what the hell happened there. Check out the 'About us' section.

There seems to be a real US version of that page here:
http://www.peaceus.com/warranty.html

Waiting on email replies from the company but was hoping to change it before I have to ride it an hour to work tomorrow.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Nerobro posted:

Yes COBRA, cobra is good. Very good. It's the same policy you had, but you pay 40% for it instead of all of it. It lasts 6 months. DO NOT miss a payment. If you miss a payment, you miss your insurance.

Good luck on the job hunt.

You pay 40% of the total premium, so unless you had really lovely premiums to begin with, most likely you'll be paying a lot more for it.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Maytag posted:

I dunno I've had a few different scooter owners tell me to drain it, that it's bad to let the gas sit all winter and it'll run like poo poo when you start it in the spring if you don't.

Straight gas, with no stabilizer or anything added to it, goes bad eventually, loses it's power. I've heard six months somewhere, but it would also probably depend on your climate. If you drain it now and let it sit empty, then condensation and other moisture can get in and start rusting. Gas and water don't get along, so if it's full of gas, it probably won't rust from just a winter.

If you don't want to drain it after winter is over, throw some fuel stabilizer in there too. Should keep the gas fresh.

Skier posted:

I'm hopping over to a new insurance company that handled my buddy's motorcycle claim very well. They want an additional $112 a year for $10,000 of medical coverage per person involved in any accident on my motorcycle policy.

Try shopping around, I don't think $1,000 would have paid for my ambulance ride from the middle of nowhere, Idaho.

I remember back when I rolled my car, the hour and a half ride in the ambulance(We got stuck in traffic) ended up costing $2,200. They said if I had been bleeding or unconscious or hurt worse than I was, they would have had to call in the Helicopter. I don't even want to imagine what that would have cost. And then the four hours in the hospital cost $4,400 for then to take some x-rays and tell me that I bruised my sternum and bumped my head. No broken bones or internal injury, nothing like that.

The point is; Medical costs add up, and add up quickly. And then they just start multiplying.

Chairon fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 6, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Doctor Zero posted:

You pay 40% of the total premium, so unless you had really lovely premiums to begin with, most likely you'll be paying a lot more for it.

As I understood it, most places only pay for 1/2 or so of your medical insurance costs. And before the last year or so, if you went on cobra, you paid 100% of your premium. 40% ain't bad.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Maytag posted:

Fill it up. Dump the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil in the tank. Shake to mix the gas and Sta-Bil. Start bike. Shut off petcock (or clamp gas line). Let bike stall out.

That's the procedure for a carbed bike (or any carbureted engine, really). The Sta-Bil keeps the gas fresh, and you run it through the carbs so the residual gas doesn't form varnish. The full tank will keep it from getting condensation and rusting inside.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

Chairon posted:

If you don't want to drain it after winter is over, throw some fuel stabilizer in there too. Should keep the gas fresh.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you kindly.

Doctor Zero posted:

Fill it up. Dump the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil in the tank. Shake to mix the gas and Sta-Bil. Start bike. Shut off petcock (or clamp gas line). Let bike stall out.

That's the procedure for a carbed bike (or any carbureted engine, really). The Sta-Bil keeps the gas fresh, and you run it through the carbs so the residual gas doesn't form varnish. The full tank will keep it from getting condensation and rusting inside.

Awesome, thanks.

Maytag fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 6, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

Ugh, the real answer is fill the tank, add stabil, run it for a little bit to get the stabil-ized gas into the carb, shut the whole works off, and top the tank off.

Letting a carb sit dry is just as bad as letting a tank sit dry, and basically guarantees that you'll get some sort of varnish, and or oxidation, as carbs are aluminum and aluminum oxidizes just like iron.

Tanks and carbs are MEANT to be filled with gas, leave them that way, and add the stabil so the gas doesnt go bad.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

Word.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Phat_Albert posted:

Ugh, the real answer is fill the tank, add stabil, run it for a little bit to get the stabil-ized gas into the carb, shut the whole works off, and top the tank off.

Letting a carb sit dry is just as bad as letting a tank sit dry, and basically guarantees that you'll get some sort of varnish, and or oxidation, as carbs are aluminum and aluminum oxidizes just like iron.

Tanks and carbs are MEANT to be filled with gas, leave them that way, and add the stabil so the gas doesnt go bad.

Well why didn't you tell me that before I gunked up my carbs then? :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

Well why didn't you tell me that before I gunked up my carbs then? :colbert:

Sometimes you have to walk on your own, son :colbert:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Chairon posted:

I remember back when I rolled my car, the hour and a half ride in the ambulance(We got stuck in traffic) ended up costing $2,200. They said if I had been bleeding or unconscious or hurt worse than I was, they would have had to call in the Helicopter. I don't even want to imagine what that would have cost. And then the four hours in the hospital cost $4,400 for then to take some x-rays and tell me that I bruised my sternum and bumped my head. No broken bones or internal injury, nothing like that.

The point is; Medical costs add up, and add up quickly. And then they just start multiplying.

Just today I got a notice from Horizon telling me they are not paying for my ride to the ER. It was only 5 minutes, but still $600. I guess I was supposed to get up and ride my broken bike there since the ambulance ride isn't considered part of "emergency health insurance". :bang:

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Gnaghi posted:

Just today I got a notice from Horizon telling me they are not paying for my ride to the ER. It was only 5 minutes, but still $600. I guess I was supposed to get up and ride my broken bike there since the ambulance ride isn't considered part of "emergency health insurance". :bang:

I really think Ambulances should be like the police. You don't pay to have a cop come out and do what he does, why should you pay if you're dying and need a ride to the hospital?

But I do have a motorcycle related question! I'm probably going to tear down the clutch in my bike in a couple of days and see whats horribly wrong with it, anything I should watch out for in general or that may pop out and kill me? Or any special tools I may need? Looking through my Service manual it only mentions an impact gun, calipers and feeler gauges; I've got those.

Are Suzuki transmissions known for housing hordes of robotic spiders as I believe they are?

Milton
Jan 3, 2005

...but then they switched from the 1911 to the beretta but I kept my 1911 because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the rounds for the 1911...
I have found a lead on a 2005 Triumph Bonneville Black. I think this is a year before they increased the engine displacement from 790 to 860. The specs on the bike indicate that the older one has 62HP while the newer ones have 68HP. Does the increase in displacement make a big difference in how the bike runs? Are there any other functional differences between the two?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Anyone think they know what's wrong with my KLR650? It's sat since August 25th, and it ran great when I parked it.

What it'll do (lets see how to explain this)
a) it will start with the choke fully engaged, but it will only hover at 1k rpm (instead of the normal 3k) or so, and it'll die if i try to give it any throttle (even slowly applied).
b) if, with the choke engaged (and throttle slightly engaged), i start it, I can get it up into the 3k+ rpm area, where it runs, revs, has plenty of power, etc. It will stay going if i disengage the choke here, as well. It will die if i release the throttle.
c) it will turn over till the cows home home with no throttle and no choke, but won't catch (thankfully I have a good battery)

edit: using a combination of clever throttle manipulation and multiple close calls, I did take it for about a 15 minute ride, and it ran fine anytime it was above idle. Weird.

Thoughts?

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 8, 2009

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

not weird. You have a gunked up pilot circuit. Clean the jet, remove the mixture screw and clean that and it's passage. reasemble, and you'll be starting like you used to.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
Thanks Nero, I'll give that a shot. What caused it? just sitting too long?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Maytag posted:

Yeah I don't know what the hell happened there. Check out the 'About us' section.

That's loving awesome.

Peace Industry Group posted:

We successfully developed the scooter at first in the whole world, which used the four stroke motorcycles engine in March of 2004
(emphasis mine)

Peace Industry Group posted:

A new-type aircraft carrier is showing up prominently fast.
I think these guys may have played a little too much Darius back in the day.