Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Cruising at 75-80 is buzzy but very doable on a Ninja 250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Actually, the ninja 250 is the ONLY 250 that would be ok for what you're doing. Unless you can find a GT250, RG250, RS250, or RD250. :-)

Now I was hoping to lead you to the right question, but I think I missed.

So lets try this again.

Jaros posted:

Hey, I'm new to riding. I'm going to be doing 40 miles round trip on the highway every day. What should I be looking at?
You need to be looking at bikes on the high end of the noob spectrum. For good highway performance, say 70-80mph, you want a bike that will do 100mph comfortably. That means bikes that are 40-70hp. There's a whole slew of bikes out there that will suit that. Are you looking used? What's your budget?

So no cruisers, no dualsports. Do you know what a standard is?

Nerobro fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 6, 2009

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Actually, the ninja 250 is the ONLY 250 that would be ok for what you're doing. Unless you can find a GT250, RG250, RS250, or RD250. :-)

Now I was hoping to lead you to the right question, but I think I missed.

So lets try this again.
You need to be looking at bikes on the high end of the noob spectrum. For good highway performance, say 70-80mph, you want a bike that will do 100mph comfortably. That means bikes that are 40-70hp. There's a whole slew of bikes out there that will suit that. Are you looking used? What's your budget?

So no cruisers, no dualsports. Do you know what a standard is?

This is sort of what I was getting at I just wasn't really clear at all.

Anyway I am looking used with a budget of around 7k although ideally I'd like to keep it in the 3k-5k range. I'm certainly open to suggestions on standard bikes although I'd prefer a bike with full fairings. Also, if it makes a difference, I now commute at most 4 days a week during off-peak hours but this could change.

I like the Ninja 500 and I found http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/1399167661.html after browsing through craiglist for a bit. Another commuter uses the same bike at my school. He says he doesn't mind the commute one bit but hes only on the highway for about 5 miles. Am I dumb for considering this?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jaros posted:

This is sort of what I was getting at I just wasn't really clear at all.

Anyway I am looking used with a budget of around 7k although ideally I'd like to keep it in the 3k-5k range. I'm certainly open to suggestions on standard bikes although I'd prefer a bike with full fairings. Also, if it makes a difference, I now commute at most 4 days a week during off-peak hours but this could change.

I like the Ninja 500 and I found http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/1399167661.html after browsing through craiglist for a bit. Another commuter uses the same bike at my school. He says he doesn't mind the commute one bit but hes only on the highway for about 5 miles. Am I dumb for considering this?

How much have you budgeted for gear? Also... DRZ400SM. I'm just going to keep coming in here an posting that daily.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Ninja 500 is a very good option. Yamaha 600 Seca II. A can-o-tuna (Katana) 600. GS500. If you don't mind sailboats... A honda silverwing. My GS550ES has a fairing. A GPZ550. Uh... it's a long long list.

Now you may have the wrong idea about "fairings." Most of them don't do a whole lot for you. They're designed for a person tucked in close, and not sitting up and comfortable.

If you don't mind something ugly, a bike with a vetter fairing, or simliar is ideal for what your'e looking to do. Heck, despite being a noob, I'd even say a goldwing 1200 would be a good plan for you. They're big and tame.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Nerobro posted:

Ninja 500 is a very good option. Yamaha 600 Seca II. A can-o-tuna (Katana) 600. GS500. If you don't mind sailboats... A honda silverwing. My GS550ES has a fairing. A GPZ550. Uh... it's a long long list.

Now you may have the wrong idea about "fairings." Most of them don't do a whole lot for you. They're designed for a person tucked in close, and not sitting up and comfortable.

If you don't mind something ugly, a bike with a vetter fairing, or simliar is ideal for what your'e looking to do. Heck, despite being a noob, I'd even say a goldwing 1200 would be a good plan for you. They're big and tame.

I'll keep my eyes open for new listings for some of the bikes you mentioned, thanks. I'd like to stay away from a bike with a vetter fairing as I really don't like the look of it. I know it's not all about looks but they just really rub me the wrong way.

Anyway I found this 1990 GS500. I'd like to go check it out as this picture really piqued my interest. I've done a little research and some places say that the K&N filter really isn't that great for this bike and it may need a good deal of maintenance. It's an old bike but looks to be in pretty good condition, from what you can see anyway. If I go check this out should I try and work down the price a bit?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I thought you wanted a fairing?

They say they jetted the carbs, which is to compensate for the K&N.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

How much have you budgeted for gear? Also... DRZ400SM. I'm just going to keep coming in here an posting that daily.
I love my DRZ, but calling it comfortable on the highway is being a bit optimistic.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Nerobro posted:

I thought you wanted a fairing?

They say they jetted the carbs, which is to compensate for the K&N.

I prefer them the majority of the time but there are a few exceptions. For example, I really like the look of the 2004 z1000.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Endless Mike posted:

I love my DRZ, but calling it comfortable on the highway is being a bit optimistic.

It's not comfortable, but it's worth it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Jaros posted:

I prefer them the majority of the time but there are a few exceptions. For example, I really like the look of the 2004 z1000.

Heh. If you said it was about looks I would have suggested other bikes right off the bat.

Milton
Jan 3, 2005

...but then they switched from the 1911 to the beretta but I kept my 1911 because it didn't bind up as much and I kept the rounds for the 1911...
I've been riding a cruiser for a while (Kaw. Vulcan 750) and have come to desire a bike that both goes faster and does not have a feet-forward riding position. In general, I would like to find a not-too-used bike for about $4500.

I test-rode a Triumph Bonneville and liked it pretty well but can't find any used. I have also been looking at a 2007 SV-650 and a 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R. How would an SV-1000 or a Ducati Monster 696 rank against these? Are there other bikes I should be looking for as well?

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Cafe an old CB750 or get a Thruxton and upgrade the suspension, carbs, etc? Which is a better idea?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I am two months away from the MSF and getting my bike. I like to go camping in the mountains and coast and this involves dirt roads and stuff. I am pretty sure I want a dual sport, most likely the DRZ 400. What is the earliest year I should look at? I know some of these types of bikes like the KLR have been the same since the dawn of time. Is the DRZ 400 like that? Is there a big difference between the 2000 and 2005?

I literally have no idea about motorcycles. My mother would never let me touch one growing up and forbid me from having one. I have wanted a dirt bike since I was 14 and I'm 26 now so eat it!

From the earlier post on this page by Endless Mike I am not sure about it on the highway. I don't plan on driving from here to Oakland on it but to get to the mountains is about 3 hours of 75mph highway cruising (I'm sure there are better ways I will learn to get off I-40 as I get near them). Should I look at something else? I am 5'9 175 if that matters. I don't know if I want a KLR, they look huge, and as I learn I plan on riding trails where a smaller bike is an advantage. I know a bunch of them in the mountains from mountain biking and can't wait to get a motor on them (the legal ones, don't worry).

Also, I would want to rig it so I can carry my camping gear. Just a tiny tent (will buy one for this), some clothes, and that stuff. I have been reading that advrider.com place and this looks pretty easy to do. I have a wrx wagon so I have no way of trailering it to the mountains which is why I need a street legal dual sport.

I have read the last few pages here and the DRZ keeps coming up over and over and it looks like what I want. 650 seems too big size wise and a 250 is too small for the highway. I have literally wanted a dual sport since I was 14 so I have no interest in any other type of bike. I know things like the Ninja 250 are popular but not interested

Also how hard is it to work on these things? I am not stupid but have never messed with any type of engine or anything and don't know anyone who has. I have never even changed my oil. I feel like with a motorcycle I would like to learn what to do.
edit

I feel like I should mention I have a long term goal of some type of motorcycle touring. I backpacked asia a few years ago and met some people riding motorcycles across it and well, I was sold then. I hope to do that transamerica trail sometime in the next couple of years.

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 7, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The DRZ S (dual sport model) does a lot better on the highways than the SM does (which is what most of the talk here is about).

The seat isnt comfy, which will probably bother your bottom. Lots of solutions exist for this. The DRZ can be rigged to carry quite a bit, tons of accessories exist for this pupose.

Advantage, you can pick up a S model dirt cheap. As far as years go, doesn't really matter. If it's made since 2000 I'm pretty sure they are all identical.

The engines can go for a long time, I mett a guy here in Seattle who had an S model with 80k+ miles on it, just changing fluids.

That said, no windscreen, tiny tank, no fairing... highways arent the most fun on a DRZ. You'll learn to take back roads and love it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
The DRZ is not a great bike for traveling 3 hours on the highway, but it certainly isn't impossible. You'll probably find you'd rather take the other road, you know the one that used to be the highway until the interstate went in back in the 70's.

While a more expensive option, the Husqvarna TE610 is only 10 lbs heavier than a DRZ (the KLR is about 40 lbs heavier than the DRZ), and has a 6th gear making it much more comfortable on the highway (I test rode the SM version).

The Husqvarna should be easier to do basic maintenance on, valve adjustments are made by turning a screw on the rocker arm, on the DRZ you need to pull the cam shafts and change shims.

Edit: I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the DRZ has changed at all since it first came out except for the addition of the SM model.

Zool fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 7, 2009

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zool posted:

Edit: I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think the DRZ has changed at all since it first came out except for the addition of the SM model.
Other than some model lineup changes (E, S, SM) and bold new graphics, I'm pretty sure there's been no major changes.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

ari.gato posted:

Cafe an old CB750 or get a Thruxton and upgrade the suspension, carbs, etc? Which is a better idea?

They're in entirely different price areas. A CB750 can run anywhere from $800 to $3000 reasonably (though the earlier bikes and pristine examples go for more, but if you cafed one of those I'd probably stab you). A new Thruxton is (last time I checked) closer to $8.5k. You'd have to cafe the CB using gold bars to make it cost that much. Even the used Thruxtons around here (MA) start at $3k shagged. It's not a fair comparison.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Shlomo Palestein posted:

They're in entirely different price areas. A CB750 can run anywhere from $800 to $3000 reasonably (though the earlier bikes and pristine examples go for more, but if you cafed one of those I'd probably stab you). A new Thruxton is (last time I checked) closer to $8.5k. You'd have to cafe the CB using gold bars to make it cost that much. Even the used Thruxtons around here (MA) start at $3k shagged. It's not a fair comparison.

That's not even taking into account the fact that he wants to upgrade the suspension and other bits on the Thruxton, setting the price even higher. If money is no object, and you want a bike like a Thruxton but sportier, get a Ducati SportClassic 1000S.

If you want to spend under 10k but can spend over 5k, get a Thruxton. Under 5k, get a CB750. Ta-da.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
I'm going to look at this today or tomorrow hopefully. Is there anything specific to look for on K75s? I've read around and saw that the rear splines are apparently a concern?

I'm going to go by the BMW shop here today (since I walk right by it going to lunch) and ask them if they did the maintenance on it and if anything is amiss. They're the only BMW shop right around here, so I'm guessing they did. Hopefully they'll talk to me once I make it clear I'm possibly buying it.

I'm also considering this, but I think an 1150 is probably too big a step up from my GZ250 (85hp vs 68hp in the K75).

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 7, 2009

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Pvt. Public posted:

I'm going to look at this today or tomorrow hopefully. Is there anything specific to look for on K75s? I've read around and saw that the rear splines are apparently a concern?

I'm going to go by the BMW shop here today (since I walk right by it going to lunch) and ask them if they did the maintenance on it and if anything is amiss. They're the only BMW shop right around here, so I'm guessing they did. Hopefully they'll talk to me once I make it clear I'm possibly buying it.

I'm also considering this, but I think an 1150 is probably too big a step up from my GZ250 (85hp vs 68hp in the K75).
That K75 looks to me to be a really kickass deal.

FWIW, my 'starter bike' is an R1100RS (85HP), and it's been peachy. The power rolls on nice and linear and smooth as silk as you go up in revs, so it's not so much like some of the engines I've heard of around here, where anything below a certain RPM is tame and tractable, and anything above that is like riding a scared cat, and god help you if you hit that RPM by accident in a corner.

I'd suggest getting the one you don't think you'll outgrow next summer, but I'm no expert, clearly. =)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I have been wondering if the extra weight of the GSA would nullify the extra HP it has, but reading more I've found the K is apparently the heavier of the two by ~25lbs or so? I'm more in love with the GSA's looks (and it comes with those awesome side cases), but the K75 is local and I'll be able to get on it before the auction ends. Not the case with the 1150, which also means no visual inspection.

Edit: Apparently the page I was reading is dead wrong, as several other pages list the GS as heavier by ~45lbs with a full tank.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 7, 2009

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Pvt. Public posted:

K75s are one of the smoothest bikes out there, they're used often in video shoots because of how smooth they are. I'd expect that bike to go for 3-4K and I'd expect the 1150 ADV to go for closer to 8-9K people really like those.

The 1150 is not unmanageable power wise, it build power predictably and the crushing weight of the bike keeps it smooth and controllable. You won't find it wheeling on you unpredictably. It will be both tall and a ton of weight at low speed but once you're doing 20 mph or faster it becomes quite maneuverable. Fully fueled with all of it's bags and racks the R1150 GS ADV weighs in close to 600 lbs, the K should be a fair bit lighter.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

That's not even taking into account the fact that he wants to upgrade the suspension and other bits on the Thruxton, setting the price even higher. If money is no object, and you want a bike like a Thruxton but sportier, get a Ducati SportClassic 1000S.

If you want to spend under 10k but can spend over 5k, get a Thruxton. Under 5k, get a CB750. Ta-da.

I'd kill for the Ducati, but out of my price range. I'm just curious as to performance between a cafe'd cb750 and a Thruxton. One way or another, I'm getting a cafe racer ;)

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

PlasticSun posted:

K75s are one of the smoothest bikes out there, they're used often in video shoots because of how smooth they are. I'd expect that bike to go for 3-4K and I'd expect the 1150 ADV to go for closer to 8-9K people really like those.

The 1150 is not unmanageable power wise, it build power predictably and the crushing weight of the bike keeps it smooth and controllable. You won't find it wheeling on you unpredictably. It will be both tall and a ton of weight at low speed but once you're doing 20 mph or faster it becomes quite maneuverable. Fully fueled with all of it's bags and racks the R1150 GS ADV weighs in close to 600 lbs, the K should be a fair bit lighter.

Well, sounds like I'm going after the K75 then. Thanks.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Any opinions on this thing? The guy is asking $1000CAD.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Make Kawasaki
Year 1979
Kilometers 21800
Engine Displacement (cc) 1300
Colour Black

Description:
ALL ORIGINAL
AS IS, GOTTA GO!!!!
$1,000 FIRM
very nice project,for the winter month's

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

someone has to buy it. is it going to be your first bike? if yes, no. If no, why haven't you bought it already?

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
The local dealership is going out of business. It was one of two motorcycle dealers in the area, the first closed about 3 months ago, and now they're closing shop. I'm going in tomorrow to check out what kind of deals they have running because I've heard some absolutely ridiculous rumors. I really wasn't planning on buying a new bike, but who knows if the price is right I could be walking home with an R6 or ZX6r tomorrow.

So I guess my question is, what price on a brand new 0 miles 600ss(yamaha or kawasaki) would make you buy it without a second thought.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Under 7k OTD.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
I'm going to buy a starter bike sometime in the near future. Two questions:

What direction/design should I look at when I want a multipurpose bike? I need something with good mileage and the ability to handle rough/primitive roads. I'd like a lean-forward sport bike, but my understanding is these are generally not designed with a 200+ mile trip in mind, nor are they usable on dirt or fireroads.

Should I buy in the Seattle area where I live now, or in San Francisco summer of next year? Is there a difference in used bikes pricing, or what will people will be selling, due to the weather?

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006
Completely let down. I caught wind of a new r6 for sale at the closing dealership for under 5k. Said r6, was an 04, had 12k miles on it, a chopped stock exhaust, and cracked fairings on the right side that were taped together. Pretty much everything was just slashed by $1000, which isn't anything worth screaming over. They had gloves 20% off and helmets 25% off, but of course no helmets in my size, and I don't really need gloves.

I'll just wait for craiglist sales when it starts snowing to buy a new to me bike cheap I guess.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crissangel Mindfrog posted:

Should I buy in the Seattle area where I live now, or in San Francisco summer of next year? Is there a difference in used bikes pricing, or what will people will be selling, due to the weather?
If nothing else, you won't get a California bike (or are less likely to) in Seattle.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Crissangel Mindfrog posted:

I'm going to buy a starter bike sometime in the near future. Two questions:

What direction/design should I look at when I want a multipurpose bike? I need something with good mileage and the ability to handle rough/primitive roads. I'd like a lean-forward sport bike, but my understanding is these are generally not designed with a 200+ mile trip in mind, nor are they usable on dirt or fireroads.

Winter/Fall is the best time to get a deal. I believe you can bring a 49 state bike in to California provided it is at least a certain age, or has a certain number of miles. I don't think it's an issue unless you try to bring a brand new bike in.

Have you taken the MSF? What's your budget for bike and gear? You can take a sport bike on dirt and fireroads, but the suspension isn't made for it, and it's not too fun.
I'm in Seattle, let me know if you need someone to test-ride a bike for you.
Also screw sportbikes, get this.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/1411166095.html

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Spiffness posted:

The DRZ S (dual sport model) does a lot better on the highways than the SM does (which is what most of the talk here is about).

The seat isnt comfy, which will probably bother your bottom. Lots of solutions exist for this. The DRZ can be rigged to carry quite a bit, tons of accessories exist for this pupose.

Advantage, you can pick up a S model dirt cheap. As far as years go, doesn't really matter. If it's made since 2000 I'm pretty sure they are all identical.

The engines can go for a long time, I mett a guy here in Seattle who had an S model with 80k+ miles on it, just changing fluids.

That said, no windscreen, tiny tank, no fairing... highways arent the most fun on a DRZ. You'll learn to take back roads and love it.

How is the S model any better than the SM? I think the SM has slightly taller gearing - but other than that there is no difference between them.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
the sm comes with 17 inch wheels, oversized front brakes, and more streetable forks

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Edit: I'm retarded.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 10, 2009

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Spiffness posted:

Bigger wheels saves you some revs on the highway.
You're WRONG WRONG WRONG, the SM has a taller final drive to make up for it.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004

Nerobro posted:

Before you pay $900 for that...

Hey, thanks. I took your advice and did more research; talked him down to 700, and he's replacing the battery and tires. It's still a little pricey, but I'm happy, it has less than 1700 miles on it, and the collector's plates will save me some money in the long run.

I'm the proud owner of my first bike. :3:

GlazedMcGuffin fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 10, 2009

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Pvt. Public posted:

I have owned a K75 and presently own a 1150 GS (non ADV) , really, 2 totally different bikes.

The K75, as other posters have mentioned, is smooth as a turbine. If it more than tingles, there's likely something wrong with it. I found the bike to be so smooth, so competent, so easy to ride, that it lacked character and eventually bored me to tears-so I sold it. I think that it would be a good step up from a 250, the power is linear, there isn't a massive rush, just a smooth build up until you realize that you're well into triple digits. Assuming that the speedometer still works, anyway.

The 1150 is a beast. Load that bike up, fill the tank and you have a bike that will lead you to the brink of despair as you roll it around the parking lot. It is tall, huge, top heavy, and really isn't suitable for actual dirt work. What it does do well is absolutely ferociously gobble up miles on the paved highway and the unpaved highway, get it on a well packed gravel road and it's a juggernaught. The R1150GS is a really great bike on many levels, especially with an upgraded suspension, mine is equipped with Öhlins and it is the best riding bike I've owned.
But my first introduction was doubtful. Coming off a 250, the GS will look impossibly large. The Germans don't call it the Rubber Cow for nothing, it is a cow, a handful, until you get it rolling and once you get it rolling it's as light on it's feet as you could ever want. And it is nice to look [i]down[\i] at the average SUV driver as you roll past, instead of looking at their door handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I've been trying to figure out a good winter project and think this may be the lucky winner.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/mcy/1414352530.html

78 KZ100 ZR-1. It's in decent shape, complete, has a title, and cheapish at $500. I'm not sure if I would make a cafe bike or a ELR bike, so maybe I'd make a ELR cafe bike.