Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
Oh my goooooooood new Russian Circles is so good.

Melee has been on repeat all loving day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Melee really does kick loving rear end, I just love that drum work at the beginning. The entire album is fantastic.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Outside of the new Russian Circles Album I have been obsessing over Grails lately. This band does poo poo that is just so out there that I can't help but call them my favorite post rock band out there currently. Burning Off Impurities is such an amazing experience through a good set of headphones.

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 27, 2009

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, Grails are pretty much incredible. Doomsdayer's Holiday is almost better than Impurities, I think.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
Jumping on the "oh dear god the new Russian Circles is SO loving good" bandwagon.

For those who don't know, The American Dollar have a split EP with Arms and Sleepers coming out on December 15th, honestly can't wait for this, TAD have been one of my favorite bands for ages now, they just keep getting better with every release.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

quote:

milhaven are a four-piece from bochum/germany. after releasing an album and an ep on 12rec, they will release their second album on valeot - great classical & fresh-sounding post-rock. contradiction? not with those guys.

second album out november 2009!

This is great news.

Long MySpace link incoming:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=15469293

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

shemaghs are so gay its like smegma hahaha
Mono was pretty unreal the other day but I bet you guys knew that already.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Capitan Dad posted:

Mono was pretty unreal the other day but I bet you guys knew that already.

Yeah, we did.

Talking about Mono, I finally heard Hymn to the Immortal Wind. Pure as Snow blew my mind and is the best track I've heard since Yearning.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jetstar posted:

Talking about Mono, I finally heard Hymn to the Immortal Wind. Pure as Snow blew my mind and is the best track I've heard since Yearning.

In my mind I don't see anybody topping them in the "traditional post-rock sound" genre. They've basically perfected quietprettyLOUDLOUDLOUDquietLOUD.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

the tracklist was something like
ashes in the snow
burial at sea
something something
yearning
battle to heaven
halo
something else with glock at the end
everlasting light (encore)

yearning/halo/everlasting light were the best easy

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Capitan Dad posted:

:words:

From what I can tell they've been basically playing Hymn to the Immortal Wind at every show, minus Silent Flight, Sleeping Dawn. (Except the NYC anniversary show, whose whole point I figure was to play that!)

The Montreal setlist was
Ashes in the Snow
Burial at Sea
Bollow the Map
Pure As Snow
Yearning
The Battle To Heaven
Halo
Everlasting Light

I was a bit disappointed they didn't play Halcyon or Lost Snow, but since Hymn is a pretty varied album in comparison to the others, it still made for a great show.

Capitan Dad
May 16, 2007

that was probably exactly it except they played one between halo and everlasting light.

chug life made a really good post about this local maryland band called My Winter Nerve and how much he loves them and they are really sweet.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to the new Pelican album now, and it's not very impressive at all :(

The whole thing's very samey, and the last song (Final Breath, which I'm on now) has vocals. Not that post-metal can't have vocals, because I love Isis and Cult Of Luna and tons of others, but the vocals in this song don't really work that well. And Pelican's done just fine without vocals for years, so why'd they have to go and change that now?

Ephemeral and Strung Up From The Sky are both really good, though. It's a shame that they released the two best tracks before the album even came out.

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The whole thing's very samey

Well, you just described how I feel about all Pelican and what I thought about them when I saw them live.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

albear posted:

Well, you just described how I feel about all Pelican and what I thought about them when I saw them live.

Well they are post-metal, and a lot of their stuff is, for lack of a better word, chuggy. But still, all their releases up until this one have had more variety. Listen to Drought or Last Day of Winter, and then listen to a random song from this new album. Most of these new songs feel like they've got the groundwork laid but nothing's been done with them.

Listening to this new album felt like listening to the same drat song for like 50 minutes straight. Now, they can do something like that just fine, which they proved with the March Into The Sea EP. But the foundation here isn't nearly strong enough to pull off something like that. If they had changed it up a little and made the songs even slightly more interesting, I would've been all for it. The whole thing just felt dull overall, though.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 12, 2009

Souldark
Oct 14, 2003

The music of this handsome warrior once brought one hundred maidens to tears.
Well they do have the guitarist from Sunn O))) playing with them, so I went in expecting a lot more drone than previous releases.

For the record, I really enjoy the new album and have had it playing at least once a night since I got it.

Meningism
Dec 31, 2008
Only recently discovered the name for that relaxing, no-vocals type of music that I like (EITS, G!YBE, Mogwai); and it's post rock. And here's a great thread about it. Awesome. I haven't finished reading the whole thing, but I'm already overloaded with new music to try out.

As a proud black-face loving Australian, it's my duty to talk about Decoder Ring and Seekae. I went to a free gig of the former, with the latter as an opening act. Decoder Ring especially were entrancing as hell, and I regret that we had to leave the gig early. I also really regret not buying the Seekae album when I had the chance; it was only about $15.

Decoder Ring: try: Beat the Twilight, from The Blind Stars and the Wild Team.

Seekae, try: Stampede, from The Sound of Trees Falling on People. May be a little more electronica than traditional post-rock, but still very enjoyable.

Not Australian, but what do people think of Kwoon? This amazing video got me into them (think I linked to it from these forums) but I haven't seen them mentioned since. Maybe on one of the many pages of this thread I have yet to read...

Speaking of bands discovered through these forums, check out no_fires. Ramparts was the background music to a video of some fancy-arse pool table in the Stuff You Want thread in GBS, and my first reaction was along the lines of "Cool, an EITS track I haven't heard before" You can grab a few tracks for free off their last.fm

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just rediscovered one of my favorite post-rock albums of all time - Papa M Live From a Shark Cage and goddamn, it's every bit as creepy and amazing as I remember (God, I think I haven't listened to it since '02 or so).

So I'm wondering, where did all the stuff that sounds like late-90s post-rock go? You know, Labradford, Papa M, The For Carnation - the chilling, ethereal stuff that didn't focus on a rock/metal/classical influences? Is anyone making that stuff still? Stuff like that brilliant '07 Stars of the Lid album?

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
just chiming in to mention that the Mono show last night at the El Rey was absolutely unreal, similar set list as those posted in this thread from previous shows but wow I was not prepared for the passion and energy they bring into the room

half the time their stage presence was just standing mute and channeling early shoegazers, but the sounds they created were so beautiful and then when they start to rock they really start to ROCK

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
When I saw Mono they were all sitting down, except the bass player.

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!
Just got back from seeing Maserati and Mono in Denton. Absolutely amazing show. Maserati was awesome and I talked to a few of them after the show and they're super cool dudes. Mono was excellent to see live.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm seeing Maserati play with my friends The BlackBelt Band here in New Orleans on the 21st, if I'm not mistaken. Can't wait! It won't top Mono or anything, but Maserati's pretty fun on the album I have of theirs (Inventions For The New Season), so hopefully that transitions to a fun live performance.

sisonpyh
Dec 9, 2005

Just the tip LeBron. Just the tip.

I thought Pelican's original EP was amazing - The Woods is absolutely flawless. Shame they seem to be going in a completely different direction.

siig
Apr 4, 2005

Being nice is the shit ...
maserati puts on an excellent show, their staging is pretty cool too--all four of them lined up right at the lip of the stage, even the drummer

their drummer's technical execution is incredible, too, he does some pretty wicked poo poo

Atomic Hotdog
Aug 23, 2007
I've never seen such confident, powerful strokes of the ass!

siig posted:

maserati puts on an excellent show, their staging is pretty cool too--all four of them lined up right at the lip of the stage, even the drummer

their drummer's technical execution is incredible, too, he does some pretty wicked poo poo

He's also super loving cool. Met him at the merch table, and we happened to be wearing the exact same outfit, so he gave his camera to a friend of mine to take pictures of us fake fighting. Such a funny guy.

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
I must agree with all of this Russian Circles masturbation, they are quite awesome. Reminds me of Isis but they incorporate a lot more post-rock.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

siig posted:

THIS.

Oh my God, I just got back from seeing them and they were loving incredible. So much more relentless than any other instrumental rock/metal band I've seen. And you're so right siig, the drummer was probably the most fun to watch out of all of them because of just how crazy he performs. They're really nice, too, as Atomic Hotdog said. I talked with them after the show and they seemed to be really appreciative that I came out and loved their music.

My favorite songs of their set were my two favorite songs of theirs (Show Me The Season and Monoliths). They loving slayed on those. The whole set was incredible, but it was like they pulled out all the stops for those two in particular, which was great because those are the two I wanted to see the most.

chairdoctor
May 31, 2001

The doctor is in.

THIS.

Oh my God, I just got back from seeing them and they were loving incredible. So much more relentless than any other instrumental rock/metal band I've seen. And you're so right siig, the drummer was probably the most fun to watch out of all of them because of just how crazy he performs. They're really nice, too, as Atomic Hotdog said. I talked with them after the show and they seemed to be really appreciative that I came out and loved their music.

My favorite songs of their set were my two favorite songs of theirs (Show Me The Season and Monoliths). They loving slayed on those. The whole set was incredible, but it was like they pulled out all the stops for those two in particular, which was great because those are the two I wanted to see the most.

They pretty much kill it every time. I missed them in BR on Tuesday due to work the next morning but I've seen them 5 times now and they never disappoint. My only complaint is that they don't play any of their pre-Inventions material anymore which was absolutely gorgeous live. I asked Coley about it after one show and he basically said they didn't feel that it represents who they are anymore blah blah blah. I totally get that (plus there have been a few lineup changes) but that fist time I saw them at the Spanish Moon back in 02 that poo poo blew my mind. Hopefully they've got some more new material on the way.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
It just clicked that the opening band when I saw Mono was Maserati as well. :downs:

I was really impressed by the drummer as well, but overall I thought most of their songs had the same pattern and beat. Maybe I would've been able to recognize some better if I'd heard them before but as it is it seemed very similar. Great, but similar.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I just got back from seeing Do Make Say Think and just wow' I thought they'd be good but not this good. The songs from the new album sounded really good. If I hadn't seen Grails in the summer, then it would have been my gig of the year.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Starsnostars posted:

I just got back from seeing Do Make Say Think and just wow' I thought they'd be good but not this good. The songs from the new album sounded really good. If I hadn't seen Grails in the summer, then it would have been my gig of the year.

What was the setlist like?

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Starsnostars posted:

Totally. I've seen them twice, and they ALWAYS exceed expectations.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I'm terrible with remembering setlists but it was fairly balanced between all their albums, it was something like:

Do
Rockwood
Auberge le Mouton Noir
Say
-There was a song here but I can't remember its name-
Reitschule
Fredericia
Bound To Be That Way
The Universe!
---
a song I didn't recognise

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Starsnostars posted:

I'm terrible with remembering setlists but it was fairly balanced between all their albums, it was something like:

Do
Rockwood
Auberge le Mouton Noir
Say
-There was a song here but I can't remember its name-
Reitschule
Fredericia
Bound To Be That Way
The Universe!
---
a song I didn't recognise

Sweet! Really solid stuff.

One thing that kinda irks me about DMST is that as far as I've heard, they don't dig into some of their older material for shows. I would kill to hear The Apartment Song, Goodbye Enemy Airship or 1978 live. Maybe they have, but I'm fairly certain they don't play that stuff as often.

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.
That is an absolutely badass setlist, which makes me all the more depressed that they're not coming to Ireland on their tour :cry:

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Jetstar posted:

With a bit of research, I found out this is what the played for the encore.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I love pretty much all of Do Make Say Think's albums but I really have a special place in my heart for the first two. I saw them on the Goodbye Enemy Airship... tour and my God, the only thing that came close that year was when I saw Tarentel (before they got all minimal-noisy).

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

THIS.

were you at Maison de la Musique? I saw that too.

I don't really listen to much post-rock anymore, but Language of Cities was one of my favorite albums before inventions came out. Didn't they have a line-up change at some point? Either way, they stood out to me because they weren't about the build-up-and-crash-down thing that a lot of bands had, and Keep it Gold was more aggressive than any of the other post-rock I'd heard at the time (later bands like Russian Circles would catch on).

Somebody who hadn't heard of them at the show the other night asked what they were and they said "I don't know, 70's psychedelic progressive rock?", some guy responded "some might say post-rock" and Maserati-guy was clearly avoiding the term. Aside from it being a weird word in general, I think it's kind of true: I'd much sooner align them with kraut-rock and Can etc. than Godspeed.

Jetstar
May 31, 2009

by Fistgrrl
I don't think I will ever understand why artists/bands refuse to be labeled under a genre and get all defensive about it when someone does. To me, if you were to play music that carries the same characteristics of a fairly popular genre such as post-rock, then wouldn't the added attention be a good thing? I've said this before, but people usually end up going, "BUT IT'S NOT ABOUT THE ATTENTION, IT'S ABOUT THE ~~~*MUSIC*~~~". That's a pretty lame excuse, but I guess some people take labeling pretty serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you like Maserati you absolutely need to listen to Trans Am, particularly their first several albums, particularly Futureworld.

It's pretty obvious (down to the band name!) that they're heavily influenced by them. Which is one of the reasons they are so awesome.

edit: Some artists don't like "indie rock" and "post-rock" because those terms are used to refer to such radically different-sounding artists that it's hard, if not impossible, to make a case for them being stylistic genres. Jon Spencer and Bright Eyes are both "indie rock" and I don't know any sane person who could make a case for them being remotely similar. For post-rock, compare Loscil to Mogwai.

precision fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 24, 2009