Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Burning Tires with Burning Spirit!
:kamina:
This sounds more like a spring pop, than just a clunk. I would say if it's a clunk, then he should jack up the car to unload the suspension, and see if the strut top is worn, or dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I took out a '10 MS3 and immediately hate my '05 GT hatch.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
So... Uh, I was driving my 09 MS3 and after rounding a corner in second gear it alternated between wide open throttle and idle (as far as I could tell). My foot was steady on the gas as soon as it started. I just oscillated back and forth. Second gear and WOT is scary when you aren't causing it.

Does this sound like anything to anyone? I jammed the clutch and took it out of gear and it stopped. Didn't come back.

EDIT: I was stopped. Turned right. First gear, Second gear WHEERR ohhhmm WHEEER ohhhmmm. I saw on the tach it was the motor doing it.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Were you actually pressing the accelerator at all? That is the first time I have ever heard of that. Sounds scary for sure.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.
Was it floored? The computer will chop the throttle when the steering wheel is turned a little bit.

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks

CombatWombat posted:

Unlike the hot-selling MS3, the MS6 sold like poo poo and it's unlikely that it'll be making a comeback. Prior to Ford selling a large chunk of its stake in Mazda, Mazda and Ford used to share platform and engine designs pretty regularly, but I imagine that will be changing with the loss of ownership.

The new Taurus SHO is what I imagine the new MS6 would have been like.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Aaah, ok Fusion GT, if it ever comes out, will feature the Ecoboost V6 with AWD
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/07/07/ford-working-on-high-performance-fusion-gt-ecoboost-stang-on-h/

Ok enough about Ford.
On topic, I guess I'm in the MZR club. Me ma now drives a Mazda 5.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Phrost posted:

The new Taurus SHO is what I imagine the new MS6 would have been like.

Noooooooo manual! :argh:

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Kynetx posted:

Was it floored? The computer will chop the throttle when the steering wheel is turned a little bit.

Nah, just going straight accelerating at a normal (flow of traffic variety) rate. I had my foot on the pedal and it wasn't moving. It was only the second time I've driven it when cold (~30). I don't know if that's related but it was about a quarter mile away from where I started it.

I supposed I'll take it to Mazda if it happens again.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

FortifiedTumor posted:

...it was about a quarter mile away from where I started it...

And you weren't floored :smug:

All kidding aside, that is scary. I hope that never happens to me.

Frosty, did you ever check the spring issue I suggested?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Thinking of pulling the trigger on an 08 Mazdaspeed 3 GT. Has 15k miles on it and all the bells and whistles except the nav. Anything I should expect going from a GTI to this car?

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

If the GTI was stock, I would say that it will feel a little different. The GTI has the ability to feel a little tighter in turns. However, I found that the MS3 was actually better at dealing with them. I would say that it's probably something you would enjoy. The MS3 will also be more comfortable for passengers. Every time someone claims the front seat in my 3, someone always ends up saying "I don't care. It's actually just as comfortable in the back.". I wouldn't know. I never spent much time in the back seat of my car. All the people who say that, have ridden in the back of a GTI. So, it's safe to say it's probably true. The 3 also seems to be more fun to get on. I actually was happy with the difference from a friends slightly modified GTI, and my car. Really happy actually. Test drive it, and see what you think. It's generally always going to come down to how you feel about the car.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Animedork2075 posted:

I wouldn't know. I never spent much time in the back seat of my car.

sucks for you :v:

But seriously, my brother-in-law has a Mazda3 sedan and the back seats are pretty roomy. He's around 6'0 and I'm 6'1 and I fit behind his seat fine.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Well, looks like I'll be completing the deal tomorrow. Found a buyer for the GTI and I just have to drop by the dealership early tomorrow and grab the Speed3. I don't often drive with a lot of passengers, but I think my dog will fit better in the car too. :)

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009
This speed3 talk is making me want one for myself, but I don't want to get rid of my protege5. If only I had someway to justify this.
Stupid minivan. I'd get rid of that thing in a heartbeat if only we didn't have kids to haul around.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

the amber trap posted:

Stupid minivan. I'd get rid of that thing in a heartbeat if only we didn't have kids to haul around.

The MS3 fits 5 with good storage room in the hatch...

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

CombatWombat posted:

The MS3 fits 5 with good storage room in the hatch...

Can three car seats (actually, one car seat and two booster seats) fit in the back?
I might try to talk the wife into this if it's really that roomy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It probably could, I've only ever had one carseat in mine. You could always just find a regular 3 to test it with, interior is the same other than seat covering.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

the amber trap posted:

Can three car seats (actually, one car seat and two booster seats) fit in the back?

youve certainly been busy :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Got the MS3 (in black) today. Car is a demon, getting used to the shorter clutch after my super long VW clutch. The dealer even renewed the satellite radio just a few days ago so now Sirius gave me 6 months free.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

the amber trap posted:

I've fit my wife and myself in the front, we're around 5-11 and my gigantic son and three of his gangly 6-footish friends and a Rottweiler into mine.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Kynetx posted:

I've fit my wife and myself in the front, we're around 5-11 and my gigantic son and three of his gangly 6-footish friends and a Rottweiler into mine.

That had to be insanely cramped. I can see 3 pre teen kids being comfortable back there. 2 adults and one kid in the back, or even 3 smaller teens. However, 3 six foot people might be pushing it for any sort of distance.

the amber trap
Aug 13, 2009

CombatWombat posted:

youve certainly been busy :v:

The only one we actually planned was the middle child. In fact, our youngest was conceived while my wife was on birth control and is less than a year younger than his sister. (I know it was a joke, but it warranted explanation.)

I'm actually thinking of trading in my protege5, though I love her dearly.
I doubt I could convince the wife to get a smaller vehicle, mainly becuase getting the kids in and out of a "lower" vehicle is a bit more difficult.
My hatch is very nice, but I wouldn't mind trading in for a six-speed turbo mazdaspeed3. I've been toying with the idea of taking the turbo guts from a mazdaspeed protege, but my experience with turbo anything is minimal and I'd rather not gently caress anything up. Well, that and it's incredibly hard to find the parts I want.

the amber trap fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 13, 2009

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Guys, I have a confession to make.

I love my new G8. But sometimes I really miss the Speed6. Like this morning, when I was taking my son to school. His school is down a really twisty road with lots of elevation changes. I drive in a sane manner out there with my kid in the car, but on the way back I get after it. The G8 does ok for what it is, but it's a fat pig. I really miss hustling the 6 along that road.

GET EM SLUGGER fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 14, 2009

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Animedork2075 posted:

That had to be insanely cramped. I can see 3 pre teen kids being comfortable back there. 2 adults and one kid in the back, or even 3 smaller teens. However, 3 six foot people might be pushing it for any sort of distance.

Well, it wasn't optimum conditions, but it worked. I wrote a post a few pages back about the road trip we took in the speed last summer. It was the wife and I, my son (6-1 at the time, about 225 lbs) and his little brother who is about 5-7 or so. The trunk was full of luggage to the ceiling as well. It was a little cramped, but they never bitched once about a lack of space. It was really remarkable how much passing power that little grocery getter still had when you factor in the weight (me-195, wife-155, son-225, son's younger brother-170, luggage-200, just short of 950 lbs in my estimate) and the altitude at some of the passes in the Rockies (10,000+ feet). Unless we were climbing more than a 5% grade I never had to drop it out of 6th. I live more or less at sea level so normal conditions for me are the max the car can do without mods. The turbo really made a difference.
The first time I made a trip like that it was me in a 1980 Mercury Lynx (69 hp!) with all my worldly possessions which couldn't have added up to more than 150 lbs. In the passes in Arizona and New Mexico I was getting passed (and run off the road) by 18-wheelers like I was standing still.

Phrost
Aug 21, 2004

Your martial art sucks

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Guys, I have a confession to make.

I love my new G8. But sometimes I really miss the Speed6. Like this morning, when I was taking my son to school. His school is down a really twisty road with lots of elevation changes. I drive in a sane manner out there with my kid in the car, but on the way back I get after it. The G8 does ok for what it is, but it's a fat pig. I really miss hustling the 6 along that road.

That's the thing I love most about my speed6. The suspension is insane and lets you go around corners faster than you have any business doing.

Is the 3 the same way?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm loving the Speed3 after a few days of driving it. Still not quite used to the shifting and the clutch on it, I feel like I don't even have to give it gas after upshifting. The shifter feels slightly notchy too, but still solid. Most difficult part is that I don't seem to be going fast until I look down and see that I'm cruising at 80 in a 65. I did smoke some guy in a V6 Mustang (probably automatic) though :v:

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Phrost posted:

That's the thing I love most about my speed6. The suspension is insane and lets you go around corners faster than you have any business doing.

Is the 3 the same way?

I know I've never found the cornering limit. It's never oversteered on me or lost traction in the rear. Maybe I'm just a pussy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kynetx posted:

I know I've never found the cornering limit. It's never oversteered on me or lost traction in the rear. Maybe I'm just a pussy.

I'm in the same boat, and I still have RE050As on the car. The drat thing has so much power that it's easy to get to retarded-illegal speeds before you actually find the limits of the rest of the car.

Most I've managed to make it do is get hairy with the torque steer under hard acceleration while turning, but that doesn't take much :)

I can't wait to finish wearing off the Bridgestones so I can put on the Hankook RS2s and go hit some twisties.

Sublime Process
Jun 2, 2006
I ran. I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. Then I ran some more.
How many miles has everyone gotten outta their stock Bridgestones? I've got 12,1xx on mine right now and they seem to have a fair amount of tread left but I don't want to all of a sudden be hit with $600 worth of tires needed in four months either.

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.
I got my car @ 14.5k, at 18.3 now with what looks like good tread, not sure if they were replaced right before I bought the car...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I had over 18k on mine when I sold it and they still seemed like they had a lot left. I'm not sure how all the retards on the other forums only get like 10k out of them.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

DreamOn13 posted:

I'm not sure how all the retards on the other forums only get like 10k out of them.

Really? You just answered the question yourself. Understeering around turns under power consume a lot of rubber.

High-powered FWD cars can chew tires pretty quick. I think I'm getting in the 20k range and mine are borderline.

Animedork2075
Aug 31, 2005

Laugh away gentlemen. I got 3K on the first set of fronts (I couldn't help myself) I was taking a crash course driving a front wheel drive car hard. All of my rear drive cars put me into some habits that wouldn't work with this car. Got just over 8K on the total set of tires. Track events, and living within spitting distance of Malibu Canyon roads will do that. I went about an inch wider, and got a lot stickier tires, and they are lasting much, much longer. Then again, I knew the limits of the tires within 3 days of owning the car. I also far exceeded those limits on the track within 3 months of owning the car (yay spin outs). As you can see in this thread (provided the images are loading, waffle images) I can really wear out a tire. That photo was taken after 18K miles on those tires. They are basically extreme traction tires.

Buckeye
Oct 22, 2003
I don't want the world...I just want your half.
Anyone here driven both the new 2010 Mazdaspeed3 model and an 07-09? If so could you comment on the similarities / differences of the clutch and gearshift?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

the amber trap posted:

No, they can't.

Try the Mazda5. It's a bigger three, with a slower engine. But it's at least reasonably fun to drive, and fits six comfortably enough. I own one and two children plus one dog. For road trips we pop a car top carrier up on a removable roof-rack.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 19, 2009

lmnt
Dec 20, 2004
winky shot ;]

Buckeye posted:

Anyone here driven both the new 2010 Mazdaspeed3 model and an 07-09? If so could you comment on the similarities / differences of the clutch and gearshift?

The 2010's clutch seems to be easier to manipulate and engage though both have a fairly short uptake.
The 2010's shifter has some sort of shift shock protection built into it where it prevents you from shifting into 1st and 2nd for about a half a second after you press the clutch and attempt to shift. This, I think, is the largest reason for the lower 0-60 times on the '10.
In general, however, the 2010 felt a lot smoother and easier to drive than the 2009 I compared it to. This general feeling of enhanced refinement without the sacrifice of its legendary power ended up being a large part of my decision to buy the 2010.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

That's too bad. I kinda like the poor manners the previous version has.

lmnt
Dec 20, 2004
winky shot ;]

Kynetx posted:

That's too bad. I kinda like the poor manners the previous version has.

You can still achieve a fair amount of 'rawness' -- you just have to work harder to get there. Though to be honest it always feels more planted than the previous body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

GET EM SLUGGER posted:

Welcome to the dark side.

I didn't realize you had also made an (evil) conversion. I miss some things about the MS3 but the GXP is an entirely different, more sinister beast that I can love as much if not more. Only 800 miles so far but the LS3 snarl above 4k is just as intoxicating as 3-5k was in the MS3.