Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

my bmw takes straight sae30 :smug:

So does my Yamaha. Straight 30 no additives in the crankcase, the cheapest two stroke oil I can find in the oil tank. Then I ride away cackling in a huge cloud of smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Do you both have those crazy centrifugal filters? I wonder if that has something to do with using oil without additives.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ola posted:

Do you both have those crazy centrifugal filters? I wonder if that has something to do with using oil without additives.

:smug: No filter at all

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Are you sure? Centrifual filters are inside the crankcase.

Example: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...entrifugal2.jpg

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

No filter on the smokers. The combustion area, crank and crankcase are completely sealed off from the transmission.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

*slaps head* of course! I bet the Beamer does though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ola posted:

Are you sure? Centrifual filters are inside the crankcase.

Example: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...entrifugal2.jpg

Most definitely. The straight 30 is only for the transmission. The two stroke oil handles the rest. Anything impure in the entire process is burned and comes out as smoke. In fact pretty much everything involved (fuel, oil, etc) turns into smoke. If it stops smoking then something is wrong.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
yeah mine uses 30 in the crankcase :smug: 4t :smug:

and it has devices which have the effect of centrifugal filters, but they're not really designed for filtering per se. and you have to do a total engine teardown to clean them.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

sw0cb posted:

Any tips for riding in the rain? I was out riding right after a rain earlier and I could feel the bike hunting and moving around under me, I've ridden in the rain before but never felt it this bad. I'm on new sport demons too, so I don't think its the tires fault.

I just did my first trip which included 3+ hours of rain. Never rode in the rain prior besides some 30 seconds of mild rain stuff.

On the highway my sv650 was stable as if I was driving on dry road. I guess if the water you are going over is deep, it might start tracking differently if the tire is pushing stuff out of the way. My only advice is barely loving move and dont decelerate/accelerate quickly. That and when riding through the Chicago highway system at night in the pouring rain, stick to the fast lane only, and take the single lane express roads. I had like 20 minutes of peace in one of those knowing some car couldnt merge into the side of me.

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

dietcokefiend posted:

I just did my first trip which included 3+ hours of rain. Never rode in the rain prior besides some 30 seconds of mild rain stuff.

On the highway my sv650 was stable as if I was driving on dry road. I guess if the water you are going over is deep, it might start tracking differently if the tire is pushing stuff out of the way. My only advice is barely loving move and dont decelerate/accelerate quickly. That and when riding through the Chicago highway system at night in the pouring rain, stick to the fast lane only, and take the single lane express roads. I had like 20 minutes of peace in one of those knowing some car couldnt merge into the side of me.

Yeah, I think I was experiencing Florida Ice, which happens right after a big rain, The bike is normally alot more stable than that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I called up my Dad after that post because i knew he had installed one of those. Turns out when he crashed his R1100RT he pulled it and the R1150RT came with one on it already. Going to pick it up when I drive through WI next weekend, its the 139db high and low version.

Just finished installing this on the SV. It is LOUD, every dog in the apartment complex started barking, birds flew away and I think I set off a car alarm. I love it and even though I hope to never need it I know when I hit the horn people will now hear me.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
Is there any big downside to running semi-knobby tires on a street bike? I have an extra set of rims for my 92 xj600 and was seriously considering picking up a set of knobby dual sport tires for it. I don't want to do any serious off-road riding, just something a little more sure footed for exploring back roads/well roads/no roads. And to possibly to run as winter tires once it gets colder since I ride it year round.

I know cornering and braking are going to be degraded but I don't really know to what extent. Edit: I should add that 90% of my riding is sub 50mph commute.

I was looking at something like the Kenda K270's here.

obso fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 16, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

obso posted:

Is there any big downside to running semi-knobby tires on a street bike? I have an extra set of rims for my 92 xj600 and was seriously considering picking up a set of knobby dual sport tires for it. I don't want to do any serious off-road riding, just something a little more sure footed for exploring back roads/well roads/no roads. And to possibly to run as winter tires once it gets colder since I ride it year round.

I know cornering and braking are going to be degraded but I don't really know to what extent.

I was looking at something like the Kenda K270's here.

I'd run avon distanzias instead. You may have clearence issues with the full knobbies, and I think that most of them are designed to be used with tubes.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Z3n posted:

I'd run avon distanzias instead.

Those cost 5 times what the kenda's do tho. I'm not really looking to replace my street tires, just something to throw on when I want to go backroading or if it's snowing (they have to work better than the current street tires for that). I think I'm ok clearance wise, might have to raise the front fender a little but that's no thing. And I was going to run tubes since they say they are tubeless.

I was mainly just concerned with their sub 50mph street performance. I'm not trying to drag knees with them, I just don't want them wondering around too much on on-ramps and such.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
So at my work, the assigned motorcycle parking was an afterthought, consisting of a few hastily striped out spaces near the relatively unsecured visitor's parking area. It's also on the completely opposite end of the building from the only unlocked entrance door at 730am. Arriving at 720AM, do you park in the assigned spaces, or do you take one of the more secure cage spots, parking as far from the door as possible as to not be a complete dick, and tell people to blow you when they whine about it?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

obso posted:

Those cost 5 times what the kenda's do tho. I'm not really looking to replace my street tires, just something to throw on when I want to go backroading or if it's snowing (they have to work better than the current street tires for that). I think I'm ok clearance wise, might have to raise the front fender a little but that's no thing. And I was going to run tubes since they say they are tubeless.

I was mainly just concerned with their sub 50mph street performance. I'm not trying to drag knees with them, I just don't want them wondering around too much on on-ramps and such.

They're about 50$ more each.

http://www.swmototires.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=158&Itemid=53

That Kenda doesn't come in the correct size for your front tire either. You'll also get easily twice as much mileage out of the distanzias...any sort of street riding abuses the hell out of knobbies.

Personal opinion, as always, but the distanzias will handle anything you'll throw at them. Hell, the street tires will handle anything you throw at them, I've seen guys on pilot powers out on supermotos running up some pretty nasty poo poo.

Any sort of knobby is going to wander around when you start cornering, it's just a fact of life. It's not the end of the world as long as you're aware of it, but I'd personally just spend the extra 100$ on the distanzias...it'll be worth it for both street manners and the additional distance that you get out of them.

Raven457 posted:

So at my work, the assigned motorcycle parking was an afterthought, consisting of a few hastily striped out spaces near the relatively unsecured visitor's parking area. It's also on the completely opposite end of the building from the only unlocked entrance door at 730am. Arriving at 720AM, do you park in the assigned spaces, or do you take one of the more secure cage spots, parking as far from the door as possible as to not be a complete dick, and tell people to blow you when they whine about it?

Do you have theft insurance? Either way, your bike could easily disappear from any parking spot in about 20 seconds and you'd never see it again. The best way to keep your bike safe is to just insure it and park wherever, because if they want it, they'll get it, if it's not locked down really hard (IE, chain to ground anchor).

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Z3n posted:

Do you have theft insurance? Either way, your bike could easily disappear from any parking spot in about 20 seconds and you'd never see it again. The best way to keep your bike safe is to just insure it and park wherever, because if they want it, they'll get it, if it's not locked down really hard (IE, chain to ground anchor).

It's not theft I'm worried about so much as the potential blowback from bitchy coworkers for not parking "where you're supposed to". Have you guys run into this before? How did you handle it? There's no law that I can find for the city of Austin that states bikes must only be parked in motorcycle parking when available, and there's nothing I can find in the company facilities information either.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
I have no problem taking up a regular parking spot with a motorcycle. I weren't on the bike I'd be parking in the same spot in my car anyway, so it's the same thing either way. That's how I look at it anyway. All of the places I've worked always let me park up front or around back though so I've never really had to worry about it.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Z3n posted:

The best way to keep your bike safe is to just insure it and park wherever, because if they want it, they'll get it, if it's not locked down really hard (IE, chain to ground anchor).

One of the few benefits of our new building is the bike parking. We have a huge structure (eight stories at it's tallest) with about a dozen designated bike areas. Most of them have thick steel cables bolted into concrete for linking chains from.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Raven457 posted:

It's not theft I'm worried about so much as the potential blowback from bitchy coworkers for not parking "where you're supposed to". Have you guys run into this before? How did you handle it? There's no law that I can find for the city of Austin that states bikes must only be parked in motorcycle parking when available, and there's nothing I can find in the company facilities information either.

Well, I usually handle that by parking in the motorcycle spots. If there are no spots, I take a car spot. It's really just about being polite. If you can't fit in motorcycle parking, then you have to take a car.

You won't find any laws there because they just expect people to use common sense and be polite.

I've never gotten poo poo from anyone for parking in a car spot when there wasn't motorcycle parking available.

Motorcycle parking will also protect you from idiots pulling into spots without looking or running into your bike.

OrangeFurious posted:

One of the few benefits of our new building is the bike parking. We have a huge structure (eight stories at it's tallest) with about a dozen designated bike areas. Most of them have thick steel cables bolted into concrete for linking chains from.

That is awesome.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

At work I'm usually the last one in the building so the good parking spots are taken up by the time I get in.

There aren't too many places, that I frequent, that have motorcycle parking in Phoenix so I don't feel bad about taking a car spot. One of the data centers I frequent has an empty dumpster enclosure so I park in there most of the time and its about 10 feet from the door. Another data center has only metered parking so I park in a parking garage a block away. The parking garage motorcycle parking is by monthly contract only so I'm an rear end in a top hat and park there for free anyway. You can get in and out without going through the gates.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

-Inu- posted:

I have no problem taking up a regular parking spot with a motorcycle. I weren't on the bike I'd be parking in the same spot in my car anyway, so it's the same thing either way.

Agreed. I think the "benefit" of motorcycle parking is that if you designate an area for bikes, they take up less space when grouped together. 10 bikes taking up 10 car spaces is a waste. At work it'd be hard to coordinate getting 4 bikes in/out of a single car spot (when you're not leaving in unison) to save the kind of space assigned moto parking does.

My reserved parking for motorcycles at work is in the corners of the garage where even 1 car couldn't park, but we easily have 4-5 bikes in each of them daily.

At my apt, a guy one building over also has a bike, and we just park in the same spot as each other, and even though it's not reserved, we pretty much always know we'll have a place close to park unless we're gone at the same time.

Anywhere else, if someone gives me flack, I usually have headphones on for the ride and pretend I don't hear them. Otherwise...being a dick to a stranger goes both ways, buddy!

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Can't you just load explosives on your bike and carry a remote detonator?

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

Jack the Smack posted:

Can't you just load explosives on your bike and carry a remote detonator?

For theft protection? :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Raven457 posted:

Is there any sort of hashed corner between two perpendicular rows of spaces closer to the unlocked door?

I'm thinking something like the area on the far right of the row in this image. (linked 'cuz the imagehosting wasn't working.)

That's where I usually park if the lot is full, or if I would otherwise have to park way the gently caress out in the middle of nowhere.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Is there a bike rack? Just chain it to that.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

obso posted:

I have these on my KLR, and they're a little wooly on the street, but only until you get used to them moving around on you a bit. After that, they'll keep up with most things you throw at them, street-wise.

They're noisy though, being full knobs, and they're quite good off-road, but yeah, you'll need tubes obviously.

All-in-all, I like them.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
There's a '71 CB350 for sale near me, that I'm checking out tomorrow. The guy is asking for $1000, but said on the phone that he is in the middle of moving and can't take it with him.

Everyone I have talked to in town says no '71 CB350 is worth more than $600, unless it's absolutely pristine. Should I offer $500 and limit myself to $600? I'm not very experienced at negotiating. Any advice is appreciated.

Chill_Bebop
Jun 20, 2007

Waffle SS

MrKatharsis posted:

There's a '71 CB350 for sale near me, that I'm checking out tomorrow. The guy is asking for $1000, but said on the phone that he is in the middle of moving and can't take it with him.

Everyone I have talked to in town says no '71 CB350 is worth more than $600, unless it's absolutely pristine. Should I offer $500 and limit myself to $600? I'm not very experienced at negotiating. Any advice is appreciated.

I bought my '72 CL350 for $900 and it was a good deal for it's condition. I'd offer $700 depending on how nice it is. Be prepared to get some new tires on it and get used to the "Old Bike" maintenance regime.

I'd say a really nice example CB350 is worth around $1500, but they do tend to sit around alot. They are great bikes to ride if you dig the Vintage Hondas.

RichBomb
Nov 16, 2004
a strange and terrible saga

MrKatharsis posted:

Don't make the arrangements if he honestly thinks you're going to shell out close to $1,000, that would be lovely. Make it clear you're not going to pay that much and take cash in hand. He hosed up and made it clear he's desperate, so just give him your phone number and walk away. Also, there are CB 350's everywhere, don't sweat it.

Hey you people with hard luggage racks/mounts, is it feasible that I could come up with some sort of mount/lock on the top of a luggage rack for a folding bicycle?

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
What's the general consensus on something like a Kawi KLX250SF as a first bike? I would like something fun but easy to move. I also imagine it wouldn't be a big deal to drop it? Don't plan on taking a bike on the freeway, mostly just for fun. Maybe commute through the city to class every once in awhile.

I've also considered something like an SV650/Gladius, and I love how the Bonnevilles look, but worry about them being a bit much for a first bike. The used market in my area is pretty dead except for Harleys. I keep a look out for other stuff though I don't really know what to look for.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jfreder posted:

What's the general consensus on something like a Kawi KLX250SF as a first bike? I would like something fun but easy to move. I also imagine it wouldn't be a big deal to drop it? Don't plan on taking a bike on the freeway, mostly just for fun. Maybe commute through the city to class every once in awhile.

I've also considered something like an SV650/Gladius, and I love how the Bonnevilles look, but worry about them being a bit much for a first bike. The used market in my area is pretty dead except for Harleys. I keep a look out for other stuff though I don't really know what to look for.

It'd be a lot of fun and a great starter bike except for the lack of any decent freeway manners. If you're planning on essentially never going on the freeway with it, it'd be a good choice.

However, I'd recommend something like a DRZ instead...little more go, little heavier, but a lot more potential and possibilities.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Z3n posted:

It'd be a lot of fun and a great starter bike except for the lack of any decent freeway manners. If you're planning on essentially never going on the freeway with it, it'd be a good choice.

However, I'd recommend something like a DRZ instead...little more go, little heavier, but a lot more potential and possibilities.

I'm like 5'8.5" with an inseam of around 31.5". The 35" seat height of the DRZ sounded like it would be a bit too much for me, but obviously I'm not well versed in these issues.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

jfreder posted:

I'm like 5'8.5" with an inseam of around 31.5". The 35" seat height of the DRZ sounded like it would be a bit too much for me, but obviously I'm not well versed in these issues.

30" inseam here, the bike sinks under your weight, It isn't all that difficult.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

jfreder posted:

You'd be fine. I've got a 31 inch inseam and it's not an issue, and my g/f has a 29 inch inseam and she's ok. It does sag quite a bit, and the seat is really narrow, so it's easier than a sportbike with a 35 inch seat height.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 19, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

RichBomb posted:

Hey you people with hard luggage racks/mounts, is it feasible that I could come up with some sort of mount/lock on the top of a luggage rack for a folding bicycle?

Search around ADVrider. There's a couple threads about the subject on there.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
How long does a rear mono-shock usually last?

I have 37k miles on my 96' XJ600 Seca II, and as I'm getting better at my cornering, it feels soft when I lean too far. Is that just the stock shock being normal, or is it going out on me? Any way to test to see if my shock is dead and I have to sell my first born child to buy a new one?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
some stock shocks are toast at 10k, 30k seems to be the upper limit. Yes, finding a new shock would be good.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Nerobro posted:

some stock shocks are toast at 10k, 30k seems to be the upper limit. Yes, finding a new shock would be good.

Ugh. They only aftermarket shock made for my bike is the Progressive 420, which is going for roughly $500.00. Bleah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
then you're not looking hard enough.