Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Nerobro posted:

then you're not looking hard enough.

Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
works, maxton, hagon, penske... go pick up a motorcycle magazine and check out the back pages. British ones are best. Most of the shock mfgs have dealers in the US.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Nerobro posted:

works, maxton, hagon, penske... go pick up a motorcycle magazine and check out the back pages. British ones are best. Most of the shock mfgs have dealers in the US.

Those are going to be absurdly expensive though. Even more so than the penske.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Most likely there's also the used route. I don't know what bikes have shocks that are close to the secaII

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

Nerobro posted:

Thanks. I'll check into them.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
Shocks for the XJ600 are extremely hard to come by. There's some threads about using a CBR F3's shock, but that takes a little hacking and it seems to lift the bike up even on the lowest setting. It's pretty lovely that finding a shock for these bikes is next to impossible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ari.gato posted:

Shocks for the XJ600 are extremely hard to come by. There's some threads about using a CBR F3's shock, but that takes a little hacking and it seems to lift the bike up even on the lowest setting. It's pretty lovely that finding a shock for these bikes is next to impossible.

Lifting the back end of the bike isn't always horrible thing handling wise, but honestly, I'd try and find some place that'd refresh the stock stuff for you. Catalyst reactions tuning is my favorite, but aftershocks and racetech do quality work too.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Z3n posted:

Those are going to be absurdly expensive though. Even more so than the penske.

Hagons are generally the cheapest aftermarket option.

rzeszowianin 44
Feb 21, 2006

rzeszowianin 44 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 20, 2009

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008
What do you guys recommend as far as insurance coverage? I got one of those online quotes from Geico and for a DRZ the lowest I could go was $88 a month, with normal coverage around $105. If it really is that expensive, I probably won't be getting a bike while I'm still in school

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

jfreder posted:

What do you guys recommend as far as insurance coverage? I got one of those online quotes from Geico and for a DRZ the lowest I could go was $88 a month, with normal coverage around $105. If it really is that expensive, I probably won't be getting a bike while I'm still in school

I used to have gieco on my bike and switched to progressive when I got the SV650. Some places are cheaper than others for some people.

I pay ~500 a year on my SV, which is very close to what I loving pay on car insurance.

For that amount I get this coverage:

code:
 	Suzuk

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY	$87.00
    BI $100,000 EACH PERSON - $300,000 EACH ACCIDENT	 
    PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT	 
COMPREHENSIVE $500 DEDUCTIBLE	$71.00
COLLISION $500 DEDUCTIBLE	$232.00
ACCESSORY COVERAGE $3,000	INCL
ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE	$10.00
    UNINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE - REJECTED	 

Premium by Vehicle	$400.00
    Policy Level Coverage	    
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bi	$94.00
    $25,000 Each Person - $50,000 Each Accident	    
Total Policy Premium	$494.00

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

jfreder posted:

I priced out a number of companies recently when looking at new bikes. I am 22, have a perfect driving record, took the msf, have great credit, and live in Baltimore and basically no one will insure me for less than 800 on a 500 cc+ bike. If I want comprehensive with a less than 500 deductible it's over a grand. If I get a bike that is remotely "sporty" I am staring at 2 grand a year.

Being young and male and owning a motorcycle is not cheap. Sorry, mate.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
One of the few advantages of being a Cycle 4 rider is that insurance companies tend to think we're all a bunch of couch riding codgers and price insurance accordingly.

If they kept closer tabs on us, they'd be rightly horrified.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

ohwandernearer posted:

I priced out a number of companies recently when looking at new bikes. I am 22, have a perfect driving record, took the msf, have great credit, and live in Baltimore and basically no one will insure me for less than 800 on a 500 cc+ bike. If I want comprehensive with a less than 500 deductible it's over a grand. If I get a bike that is remotely "sporty" I am staring at 2 grand a year.

Being young and male and owning a motorcycle is not cheap. Sorry, mate.

Admittedly I am in the UK, so it's probably different, but we're normally the ones gouged instead of yous lot. I'm 23, have perfect credit (not sure what that has to do with it?), I have a full and un-restricted bike license, been riding 3 years without a single claim and live/lived in the middle of Edinburgh. My CB400 costs me 130 quid a year for third party, fire and theft. My friend with almost identical stats has fully comp (and me) on his CB400, that's about £350.

For comparison, me insuring a 1986 1.6L VW Golf would be about £1200, me on an R32 (my wish car) would be £4500 per year. So yeah, it's far far cheaper than a car, at least for us. (That said, I just threw a 2008 R1 into gocompare.com, £1400 for fully comp, which is bad in terms of pure cash, but not terrible when you compare it to the cars)

vvvv Oh, it's definitely an age thing. It's well known that you get raped on insurance payments if you're a bloke under 25. Which is what makes 1400 quid a year for me for an insanity machine like an R1 so mad.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 20, 2009

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
I think it's mostly an age thing. The insurance on my literbike only costs ~$500 a year, and that's for the absolutely everything plan.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Oakey posted:

I think it's mostly an age thing. The insurance on my literbike only costs ~$500 a year, and that's for the absolutely everything plan.

I just took my old plan, and added a Suzuki GSX-R1000 to my plan with the same options listed above

Premium Prior to Change: $494.00
Premium After Change: $2,868.00

Difference: $2,374.00 increase

:v: Slightly out of my budget for now

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

I just took my old plan, and added a Suzuki GSX-R1000 to my plan with the same options listed above

Premium Prior to Change: $494.00
Premium After Change: $2,868.00

Difference: $2,374.00 increase

:v: Slightly out of my budget for now

Thats why you ride without insurance. What kind of squid are you?

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Nerobro posted:

not weird. You have a gunked up pilot circuit. Clean the jet, remove the mixture screw and clean that and it's passage. reasemble, and you'll be starting like you used to.
Hmm... i pulled my carb apart, and put it all back together, and it does run as good as it did BUT.. it's pissing fuel out of the overflow tube now.

What does this likely mean? I had the top cap off, and the float bowl cover off as well. I didn't adjust anything (Apart from taking the pilot mixture screw out, and putting it back in, main jet as well, both returned back to where they were).

Thoughts? Float bowl stuck in the 'gimme fuel!' position was what I was leaning towards. Unfortunately, daylight is gone so fast now that it's up for the night, so I won't be able to test any potential fixes until tomorrow.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

Hmm... i pulled my carb apart, and put it all back together, and it does run as good as it did BUT.. it's pissing fuel out of the overflow tube now.

What does this likely mean? I had the top cap off, and the float bowl cover off as well. I didn't adjust anything (Apart from taking the pilot mixture screw out, and putting it back in, main jet as well, both returned back to where they were).

Thoughts? Float bowl stuck in the 'gimme fuel!' position was what I was leaning towards. Unfortunately, daylight is gone so fast now that it's up for the night, so I won't be able to test any potential fixes until tomorrow.

Sounds like the float is stuck. Try tapping the poo poo out of it. If that doesn't fix it, tear it down and make sure the float is opening and closing easily and smoothly.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

Sounds like the float is stuck. Try tapping the poo poo out of it. If that doesn't fix it, tear it down and make sure the float is opening and closing easily and smoothly.
Cool, not looking forward to trying to get that carb out again, but maybe i can just spin it in the boots (I hope). I'll try tapping it first.

I was extremely pleased it was running very well, until I noticed the gas pouring out. :(

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
So I'm picking up a motorcycle off Craigslist but it's 4 hours away. It's too good to pass up so I am going to go down with a friend and a U-Haul van/truck. I've never transported a motorcycle before so what would I need so that the bike doesn't end up on it's side in the van or in the hood of the car behind me?

Any tips?

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.

EvilCrayon posted:

So I'm picking up a motorcycle off Craigslist but it's 4 hours away. It's too good to pass up so I am going to go down with a friend and a U-Haul van/truck. I've never transported a motorcycle before so what would I need so that the bike doesn't end up on it's side in the van or in the hood of the car behind me?

Any tips?

I recommend renting a motorcycle trailer (some u-haul places have them) if you have a vehicle capable of towing it, or a pickup truck (u-haul will also have these) and a bike ramp if not.

Once you get the bike into the bed of the truck or on to the trailer, and with it upright and off its side/center stand, attach tie-downs to the front triple/handlebars and use them to compress the font forks as much as is necessary to prevent suspension movement without blowing the seals. Then attach some tie-downs to the frame on each side of the bike. This should keep the bike immobilized for the duration of your trip.

Note again that you should be very careful not to over-do it compressing the front suspension, or severe damage will result.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
^^^^^^ drat he's fast! ^^^^^^

EvilCrayon posted:

Any tips?

At least 3 of the ratchet strap tie downs should do nicely. Some sort of ramp helps tremendously. I like to use 2 straps in the front, hooked to the frame if possible, one in the back, suspension lightly compressed. Stop and check until you feel confident in the new baby not escaping.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'm an advocate of strapping unsprung parts, probably works best when you have a center stand. Four ratchet straps in an X pattern (as seen from above) high on the forks (like just above caliper mounts) and on the swingarm, making sure it can't slip anywhere when it's tight. This allows the suspension to deal with the bulk of the mass just like it does when it's on the road, instead of both the straps and the mass fighting against it.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
As I mentioned in the "What did you do to your ride today?" thread, my friend's CB400 decided to boil the battery on him last night. Cue us pushing the bike a mile home, though at least some of it was downhill.

We replaced the battery when we/he/I (don't ask) bought the bike in May as it wasnae charging properly. Then it killed that battery in July, so we did some troubleshooting, found the recitifier was misbehaving, thus replaced that and the battery.

So, question, what the gently caress boils a battery?

VVVV Hahaha, first time I've laughed out loud about something someone said on the internet in ages. My step-dad said the exact same thing after he asked where I'd been this morning (I'm normally in bed until 9, I was out the house before 7 this morning, had to give my friend a lift to work).

I suppose my question ought to have been, why is it overcharging? But thanks :D

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 21, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Orange Someone posted:

As I mentioned in the "What did you do to your ride today?" thread, my friend's CB400 decided to boil the battery on him last night. Cue us pushing the bike a mile home, though at least some of it was downhill.

We replaced the battery when we/he/I (don't ask) bought the bike in May as it wasnae charging properly. Then it killed that battery in July, so we did some troubleshooting, found the recitifier was misbehaving, thus replaced that and the battery.

So, question, what the gently caress boils a battery?

Overcharging

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

EvilCrayon posted:

Any tips?
If you get a van, don't tell them you're putting a bike in it. They aren't too fond of people putting vehicles in the backs of their vans because of potential damages.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Orange Someone posted:

So is it an old enough CB400 to have a separate rectifier and regulator? Because if thats the case then its definitely the regulator.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

All this insurance talk reminds me that I need to get the DRZ insured. Can't be too expensive, right?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Orange Someone posted:

I suppose my question ought to have been, why is it overcharging? But thanks :D

regulator is not working and putting way too much voltage into the battery at high revs. common fault on the superfours.
most people i know replace the with one of these
http://www.electrosport.com/street/regulator-rectifiers.php
there's a handy electrical troubleshooting guide on the site too
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/diagnosis-center.php

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

8ender posted:

So is it an old enough CB400 to have a separate rectifier and regulator? Because if thats the case then its definitely the regulator.

1992-1993

The part we replaced was defined as a rectifier, small part about inch and a half by inch and a half, with cooling fins on the top.

*fake edit*
That's what I get for going out and leaving the reply window open

echomadman posted:

regulator is not working and putting way too much voltage into the battery at high revs. common fault on the superfours.
most people i know replace the with one of these
http://www.electrosport.com/street/regulator-rectifiers.php
there's a handy electrical troubleshooting guide on the site too
http://www.electrosport.com/technical-resources/diagnosis-center.php

Thank you very very much. That part looks like the part that we've already replaced once, so that's frustrating. No idea if it's an R/R or just the rectifier. Odd that it blew the battery when it did, he was just riding around town, we've done hundreds of high-revving miles before this week and it never boiled.

Hmm, now to work out which CB400 it is. None of those are late enough, and the closest is the CB400 CB-1, which was the previous model. Common enough problem, seeing as the bike is an import from Japan. We are in the UK, and that's a US website, but if I know what part I'm looking for, it's going to help loads.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

All this insurance talk reminds me that I need to get the DRZ insured. Can't be too expensive, right?

Insurance on a DRZ should be very cheap.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

-Inu- posted:

If you get a van, don't tell them you're putting a bike in it. They aren't too fond of people putting vehicles in the backs of their vans because of potential damages.

All right. Gonna pick up a ramp and 4 tie downs today. I'm still bringing a friend to chill in the back and watch the bike.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

sectoidman posted:

I recommend renting a motorcycle trailer (some u-haul places have them) if you have a vehicle capable of towing it, or a pickup truck (u-haul will also have these) and a bike ramp if not.

Once you get the bike into the bed of the truck or on to the trailer, and with it upright and off its side/center stand, attach tie-downs to the front triple/handlebars and use them to compress the font forks as much as is necessary to prevent suspension movement without blowing the seals. Then attach some tie-downs to the frame on each side of the bike. This should keep the bike immobilized for the duration of your trip.

Note again that you should be very careful not to over-do it compressing the front suspension, or severe damage will result.

Pretty sure you can't blow the front seals by tying it down too tight. The forks take far more kinetic force when you hit a bump at 60 mph than you can put on them with tie downs. Not only that, but when the bike's in a crate they usually compress the poo poo out of the forks.

Still, no reason to overdo it and bend something. As long as the front doesn't move / bounce you should be fine.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

Took it apart, and there was a couple small pieces of poo poo in the float bowl (likely from when the tank fell over and lodged dirt in the fuel valve -- i thought I got it all outta there with air/carb cleaner), so I assume it was affecting the float.

It was working great though... very pleased.

jfreder
Feb 27, 2008

Z3n posted:

Insurance on a DRZ should be very cheap.

Unless you're 22 :colbert:

Geico quoted me $1200 a year even when I have my car insurance through them. I do have an at-fault accident but not within 3 years which is what Geico asks in their quotes.

I'm convinced I can do better though.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
I recently came into a V&H 4-into-1 exhaust system for my bike. It's got surface rust (but no rusted through spots), some scratches, and it's missing a couple of springs that connect the can to the midpipe. I would like to get the rust off, refinish it, paint the can a matte black, find a place to buy those springs, then wrap it in exhaust wrap. I'm not exactly sure what the process would be and I'd appreciate any help on the matter.

Here are some pics of the pipe as it is now:

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

And here is what one of those spring connector things looks like, but the pipe is missing 2 where the can connects to the midpipe. Any idea what they're called and where to procure them?

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

jfreder posted:

Geico quoted me $1200 a year even when I have my car insurance through them. I do have an at-fault accident but not within 3 years which is what Geico asks in their quotes.

I'm paying 170/6 months on my '82 gs750. I'm 22 with a clean record. It's liability only, nobody puts full coverage on a 400$ bike.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

jfreder posted:

Geico wanted $3000 a year from me when I got my sportbike. The next worst estimate was $2200, and I ended up paying $800.

Give Progressive a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
On the subject of insurance, how does Rider treat riders with tickets? They won't even give me a quote if you say you have 3 tickets in three years. I have 2, and don't want to deal with being dropped if I happen to get another.

Also, progressive is quoting me a $437 DROP in policy price if I go from the VFR to the Ninja, odd huh?