Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

Fenarisk posted:

The one time Sprout was flopping down a lot, she was doing it on both sides, and flopped over every 5 minutes or so. She had GI statis and was trying to settle her upset tummy and relieve the pains. Just an FYI. If you mean she just flops down more often than maybe she just wants a good pet and a cuddle.

yeah, Paterson was doing that and digging... that's how I knew for him. I gave her a bit of Oval yesterday because I was worried but she's eating and running around and being completely normal except for the dramatic flops. I think she just misses Paterson's affection (which is on hold until he feels better I guess. Probs today).

also, because of the meat rabbit thread I have come to the conclusion that Paterson is a German Lop.

luscious fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.
The grocery store took away their bin for cauliflower leaves, so I just brought some carrots that I had in the fridge. They were popular.

In other news...

We have 27 fuckin' rabbits at the SPCA now.

Want proof? Here.

Shelf A:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

The rabbits who live under the volunteer chore board:

Shelf B:

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

The rabbits who live under the bulletin board:

Not pictured is rabbit #27, Bianca, who has coccidia and lives in a different room. Or any of the non-rabbits.

None of you live in Montreal and need more rabbits, right?

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks

maplecheese posted:

In other news...

Holy crap. :( Why do so many people surrender rabbits?

Ok, I know why people surrender rabbits, but it's still really sad. I wish people would do their loving research before buying a pet form a petstore.

PumpkinPirate
Sep 2, 2006

I steal pickles for booty...arrrr!!!

maplecheese posted:

None of you live in Montreal and need more rabbits, right?

What a shame. I would take one but, it wouldn't make it past the US/Canada border!

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?
Well here's a hoot:

Euler, our lady rabbit, had been having gooey discharge from her eye, which crusted and wore away the fur. We took her in to see the vet who checked her back teeth, found them fine, checked her eye, found it fine, tried to flush out her tear ducts, and gave us some antibiotic to squeeze in there 2-3 times a day for 2 weeks. (big fun!)

The antibiotic worked, as at the end of it's run, the discharge was gone and the fur around her eyes looked great. Unfortunately, it started up again shortly after finishing the ointment.

So, back to the vet we went, and this guy (different vet, same clinic) did a stain and looked at her cornea, retina, etc. He found a mild abrasion on the outside, but he also found the underlying condition that was gooing her up!

Euler has a line of hairs growing inside her eyelid, scraping up against her eye regularly. He gave us the technical name but I have forgotten it. It sounded like Ischemia (but obviously wasn't as that's something different...and human-y)

So anyways, we got more antibiotic to squeeze in there on the same sort of schedule, and then after that we're supposed to keep lubricating her eye daily with your run of the mill drugstore lubricating agent, for the rest of her life.

There's also a pricey surgical option that's not life-threatening.

So anyways, we're going to go with the lubricant option for now and save up for the surgery. He described the feeling as basically having something in your eye ALL the time, and that sucks. Plus, she's just over 1, and has got a long hoppy life ahead of her :3:

(Chunk went too, but has less to report.)

If anyone's familiar with this or has any advice about the lubricant vs. surgery thing, please throw your two cents in...

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Right, I need another solution for hay containers. I've tried the outside-the-cage ones, I've tried putting hay in the litter box, I'm looking for another solution that doesn't end with hay dust absolutely everywhere. Any suggestions?

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

PumpkinPirate posted:

What a shame. I would take one but, it wouldn't make it past the US/Canada border!

Honestly, it's fine - our exotics department has been able to be no-kill for healthy rabbits for a while now, fortunately. The room can fit more, I swear! And all us volunteers are huge suckers who would probably foster for a while if we suddenly needed to take in a bunch more.

...but if you ARE ever in Montreal, it looks like there are no US import restrictions on rabbits. ;)

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009

angelicism posted:

Right, I need another solution for hay containers. I've tried the outside-the-cage ones, I've tried putting hay in the litter box, I'm looking for another solution that doesn't end with hay dust absolutely everywhere. Any suggestions?

I got a Bunny Bale hay holder (scroll down). You put flakes of compressed hay into it, although I'm sure you could just shove a bunch of loose hay in there too. Eowyn loves it, but Godewyn is more of a ground eater, so he just eats the hay in the litter box.

Since it's a whole wooden (or metal, if you want that one) box, it doesn't spray all over the place unless they pull it out of the slot. Don't know if that's what you're looking for, but that was the only suggestion I have.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

maplecheese posted:

In other news...

aww that's so sad :(

Bunnies can be huge pains in the asses, but they're such cute little fluffballs that just want to be petted.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

Levitate posted:

aww that's so sad :(

Bunnies can be huge pains in the asses, but they're such cute little fluffballs that just want to be petted.

I know! :( They are so sweet. Especially this adorable fawn lion-head girl who is always insisting that I scratch her chin. I so want to bring her home and cuddle her and feed her hay and vegetables ALL THE TIME. But I really can't.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

justFaye posted:

I got a Bunny Bale hay holder (scroll down). You put flakes of compressed hay into it, although I'm sure you could just shove a bunch of loose hay in there too. Eowyn loves it, but Godewyn is more of a ground eater, so he just eats the hay in the litter box.

Since it's a whole wooden (or metal, if you want that one) box, it doesn't spray all over the place unless they pull it out of the slot. Don't know if that's what you're looking for, but that was the only suggestion I have.

I think the issue happens a) when I'm putting hay into it and spill a bit everywhere, or attempt to crush some pieces in and they spray around, and b) when the buns pull out a strand and it makes hay dust fly everywhere.

Also, that metal thing scares me because it has pointy corners and Frith is not graceful. He would so bonk his face on that in no time.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
May I suggest this:

You can put the top on as well if they start to hop in the hay the way Portia does. I find it's been by far the best way to control mess.

cookiecache
Jun 8, 2004

Twat Waffles

My 9 1/2-year-old Rex doe.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Bunway Airlines posted:

May I suggest this:

You can put the top on as well if they start to hop in the hay the way Portia does. I find it's been by far the best way to control mess.

Interesting -- so it's one of those huge storage units that works as half litter box and half hay box? What did you use to prop up the hay on one side? I've found that when hay is all over the box, my buns will actually sit next to the litter box and eat hay and poop. As in, not IN the litter box. Grr.

Also, does your bun fit into that hole?!

cookiecache
Jun 8, 2004

Twat Waffles

PumpkinPirate posted:

Yeah it would. Rabbits require no special papers to go across the US/Canada border. I've taken several across. The border guards didn't even bother to look at them.

cookiecache
Jun 8, 2004

Twat Waffles

maplecheese posted:

Want proof? Here.

You know rabbits are still meat animals and there are starving kids in 3rd world countries who would know what to do with your excess problem.

maplecheese
Oct 31, 2006
Disturbingly delicious.

cookiecache posted:

You know rabbits are still meat animals and there are starving kids in 3rd world countries who would know what to do with your excess problem.

Man, screw third world kids, I have some hungry first world ferrets. <:mad:>

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

cookiecache posted:

Holy gently caress is that thing obese.

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!

cookiecache posted:

And here I thought Pippin was blubbery, holy crap!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Fenarisk posted:

Holy gently caress is that thing obese.

Let's see how your dewlap looks after 9 years on this earth!

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

angelicism posted:

Interesting -- so it's one of those huge storage units that works as half litter box and half hay box? What did you use to prop up the hay on one side? I've found that when hay is all over the box, my buns will actually sit next to the litter box and eat hay and poop. As in, not IN the litter box. Grr.

Also, does your bun fit into that hole?!

Yeah they do. Both of mine are no more than 5-6 pounds. Portia's just a lot of hair :xd:

I used a sink grate, the things that you put down to prevent stuff from going down the garbage disposal. A toaster rack works as well, I just went to Longs and got creative. The tub cost maybe $15 and the grate was $4.99 or something. I drilled holes in the side of the tub and twist tie the grate to the sides on 4 corners. I use the twist ties that come on their greens :)

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
That big box looks like it might be a pain to clean, is it? I can't imagine dumping the litter out of there.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

pseudonordic posted:

Let's see how your dewlap looks after 9 years on this earth!

Yeah that post came out meaner once I reread it and saw 9 years instead of 9 months :(

Good for that bun being around that long!

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

Is the dewlap an age thing? Mine's 2 and a half and doesn't have one at all.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Ahhhh, I'm so upset; Frith and Zen had their first fur-flying-everywhere-biting-and-kicking fight in ages today. They'd been getting along decently well as of late (and by that I mean pointedly ignoring each other) so I thought I could finally give them play time in my room at the same time. Frith kept being a jerk by antagonizing Zen a little but she just went off to the other side of the room to chill. And I looked away for half a second and I look back to see furballs flying everywhere. :(

I now have another bite to add to my collection since I wasn't wearing any 'protective' gear, since I didn't anticipate any major problems. :sigh:

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

angelicism posted:

I think the issue happens a) when I'm putting hay into it and spill a bit everywhere, or attempt to crush some pieces in and they spray around, and b) when the buns pull out a strand and it makes hay dust fly everywhere.

Also, that metal thing scares me because it has pointy corners and Frith is not graceful. He would so bonk his face on that in no time.

Here's how Cilantro is set up:

Her litter cage is in our office, which she has free reign of while we're gone. When we're home, we take down the baby gate and she can choose between her preference of the office, living room or kitchen.

When we first got her, we had a litter pan that fit in the corner but she absolutely hated it and would try to move it and bite on it. She was also spending 90% of her time in her cage as she was very bite-y and aggressive when we found her. Since she was confined, it may have been annoying and in her way.

We removed the litter pan and found that she prefers a corner in which to do her business and lots of hay to chew on. So we obliged and everyone's happier for it. :3:

As for the hay dust, when I make her cage up I try to shake the hay loose as much as possible inside the box. I'm ridiculously allergic to timothy hay (my only apparent allergy, go figure) so if I inhale even a teeny bit I'm sneezing for 10 minutes straight with eyes watering and so on. If I stick my hand in the box, grab some hay and shake it vigorously I get less dust in the cage and the air.

Bonus Edit:

Bunny nap under a blanket cave :3:

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 25, 2009

PumpkinPirate
Sep 2, 2006

I steal pickles for booty...arrrr!!!

DS at Night posted:

Is the dewlap an age thing? Mine's 2 and a half and doesn't have one at all.

I'm not sure but my old bun, pickles, never had a dewlap till later in life.

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

Bean posted:

That big box looks like it might be a pain to clean, is it? I can't imagine dumping the litter out of there.

Industrial garbage bags or a garden would work just fine :D When I'm home I just toss everything out in the forest. I don't have to rinse it out frequently using the wood stove pellets. They really absorb moisture and it makes it easy.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I'm having some issues litter training my new bunny. He was trained by his previous owner but he got out of doing his business in the litter box and just did it wherever in his cage (which was fine for her). I want him to be able to use the box though so I can clean it often and reduce the smell, but I can't seem to get him to use it at all. I'll put it where he tends to poo but then he will just go somewhere else. Also, when I let him out he will often poo (but never pee) and I'm having trouble getting him to stop as it's really hard to catch him in the act. I'll turn around for a second and there will be a bunch of little droppings.

Would multiple boxes in the cage help?

Also, what would help with the out of cage pooing?

Otherwise the bunny is wonderful. He is pretty good when he is out, doesn't really chew on anything. Also, he doesn't mind being held and will even jump on my g/f and I if we are on the couch. He also loves running between my legs when I'm wearing pants for some reason.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Ghost of Castro posted:

I'm having some issues litter training my new bunny. He was trained by his previous owner but he got out of doing his business in the litter box and just did it wherever in his cage (which was fine for her). I want him to be able to use the box though so I can clean it often and reduce the smell, but I can't seem to get him to use it at all. I'll put it where he tends to poo but then he will just go somewhere else. Also, when I let him out he will often poo (but never pee) and I'm having trouble getting him to stop as it's really hard to catch him in the act. I'll turn around for a second and there will be a bunch of little droppings.

Would multiple boxes in the cage help?

Also, what would help with the out of cage pooing?

Otherwise the bunny is wonderful. He is pretty good when he is out, doesn't really chew on anything. Also, he doesn't mind being held and will even jump on my g/f and I if we are on the couch. He also loves running between my legs when I'm wearing pants for some reason.

Do you use carefresh or some other bedding on the floor that might confuse him? When I first got my rabbit he was going everywhere in the cage. As soon as I removed the bedding he began to get the hint. It still took me three months of diligent cleaning, but he learned that it's not cool to pee or poop where he likes to sprawl out.

Most rabbits, no matter how well trained, will often poop outside of the cage. You can try placing some extra litter boxes around the area where he free roams, and to encourage use place some hay or fresh veggies in them.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

angelicism posted:

Ahhhh, I'm so upset; Frith and Zen had their first fur-flying-everywhere-biting-and-kicking fight in ages today. They'd been getting along decently well as of late (and by that I mean pointedly ignoring each other) so I thought I could finally give them play time in my room at the same time. Frith kept being a jerk by antagonizing Zen a little but she just went off to the other side of the room to chill. And I looked away for half a second and I look back to see furballs flying everywhere. :(

I now have another bite to add to my collection since I wasn't wearing any 'protective' gear, since I didn't anticipate any major problems. :sigh:

Cheer up, it took my buns 4 months, and even then only in the last 3 weeks of the month 4 did things go from terrible to constant cuddles and grooming between the two. Sprout was an absolute bee-otch so I have faith other buns can work out too.

However, the pivotal point was simply removing her from the bedroom and not allowing her in there anymore, so a change of scenery can help if it's an option for you.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Fenarisk posted:

Cheer up, it took my buns 4 months, and even then only in the last 3 weeks of the month 4 did things go from terrible to constant cuddles and grooming between the two. Sprout was an absolute bee-otch so I have faith other buns can work out too.

However, the pivotal point was simply removing her from the bedroom and not allowing her in there anymore, so a change of scenery can help if it's an option for you.

Not really -- the only other carpeting place in my teeny tiny apartment is my roomie room, and as much as he likes the buns I don't think he'd appreciate me usurping his space for an hour or so every day.

(Also; it's been over a year. :sigh: )

I think my next solution is to take out the chair in the corner, because the cause of the fight was who got to lie down under it. You know, protection from the falcons circling my room.

CatholicSoulTrain
Oct 27, 2006

angelicism posted:

You know, protection from the falcons circling my room.

Sometimes I think our two fight because our cat stalks Andy and makes him upset, so he starts thumping the floor...And Milly doesn't deal with that, I think she just likes to put him in place. If only they could understand that my cat is so retarded that she "hunts" a spot on the wall, my house would be so much quieter...

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Does anyone have any tips for getting a rabbit to stop doing a particular behavior? Douglas insists on scratching at the carpeting, and occasionally biting at it. He doesn't eat it, but he pulls fibers out and tries to "dig" it. I generally yell NO and send him back to his cage as a discipline but he persists. I think at this point he knows I don't want him to do it but does it anyway. There really isn't any area in my house that's not carpeted, and even if there was he's pretty scared of any surface that he doesn't get good traction on.

I feel bad because as a result of this I have to keep him caged up when I'm not around to watch him, and I'd really prefer to let him run free 24 hours a day (the whole basement is bunny proof except I guess for the wall to wall carpet).

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Relayer posted:

Does anyone have any tips for getting a rabbit to stop doing a particular behavior?

In general they're not smart enough for this, especially when it's an instinctive behavior and the intrinsic need of engaging in it is more rewarding than the external punishment for doing so. ;)

The best solution I've ever seen is to cover the carpet with rabbit-safe materials, to allow him to engage in his natural need to dig and chew without doing inappropriate damage. World Market has seagrass carpet which comes in 9' strips of 1'x1' squares; you can buy any number of strips at $10 each. Get a few 1'x9' strips to lay along the baseboard if that's the problem area, or buy a whole room full if he digs everywhere. Replace as it gets damaged. Some people use those big industrial sized floor mats; you can get solid rubber/vinyl, but some bunnies are fine with the carpeted ones because the pile isn't as high.

You should also be sure he always has chewing/ripping toys - the two best ones are corrugated cardboard boxes and old phone books. They make a huge mess but it really helps satiate their natural need to be distructive.

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

My buns have semi learned that the carpet is bad, but they're welcome to the baby blanket on the floor.

My baby blanket. :( The sacrifices we make.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

hi guys, I need help.
Paterson has been wheezy all day. I noticed it yesterday for a brief moment when he was grooming himself but thought that it was just the cooing noise that they sometimes make when they bend around really hard to reach that one spot. He was normal after that though. I stayed with him for about an hour after that isolated wheeze.

I made an apt at the vet for him because I don't know what else to do. I'm worried that it might be a really bad respiratory thing but it might also be that when I change the litter (Yesterday's News), I put it in a bag in the corner so I can put their hay in it and he was looking in it a lot for an apple that was in there. Maybe the amonia started to hurt his respiratory system when he was face deep in the litter bag a whole bunch?

am I right to take him to the vet or should I see how it plays out. He seemed really uninterested in food so I gave him Critical Care and some water as well as his GI Stasis meds which I think I might have ended after 7 days instead of 10?

he's still grooming himself, eating his poop and looking for treats. He tried to eat the pellets when I gave them their morning bowl.

this animal is literally bankrupting me.

EDIT:
now I'm in their room sitting with them again and he's sitting in the corner and he's not making any wheezing sound. OH MY GOD WHAT THE gently caress.

EDIT2:
my newest observation is that when he's active at all the wheezing is there. It's only when he sits still that he doesn't make the noise. And by still I mean 100% still.

luscious fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 27, 2009

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

If it's a possible respiratory thing I'd say get him to the vet if you can. I'm not an expert but from the stories I've read rabbits are kind of fragile with that sort of thing. If you really want I'd say give it a day, but that's your decision. It very well could be he was making some other sound or even sneezing.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

angelicism posted:

Not really -- the only other carpeting place in my teeny tiny apartment is my roomie room, and as much as he likes the buns I don't think he'd appreciate me usurping his space for an hour or so every day.

(Also; it's been over a year. :sigh: )

I think my next solution is to take out the chair in the corner, because the cause of the fight was who got to lie down under it. You know, protection from the falcons circling my room.

I almost forgot, one major thing we did was pull the futon out away from the wall and that helped a ton in the living room. Behind it was really narrow and if they got caught back there or wanted to get past each other they'd sometimes fight. It's fine now but we had to leave it several feet out in the beginning.

Now it's back and makes for hilarious moments like when they go for food and Dodger decides to turn around and go the other way, pushing Sprout back while she's confused as all gently caress and getting headbutted backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Fenarisk posted:

If it's a possible respiratory thing I'd say get him to the vet if you can. I'm not an expert but from the stories I've read rabbits are kind of fragile with that sort of thing. If you really want I'd say give it a day, but that's your decision. It very well could be he was making some other sound or even sneezing.

he's defs not sneezing and I would take him in RIGHT NOW if I could as an emerg apt because it now looks like his breathing is kind of strained?!?!?!?!

or maybe I'm completely crazy? I totally bring them to the vet if ANYTHING seems to be wrong (but in the past it saved us both from GI stasis).

looking at him now I think that his breathing is more laboured than before... this is happening at such a terrible time. I have a job interview and kind of really feel like I should take him instead.

why :( :( :( :(