Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Of course it does. He'll be going through a few engines with an 08.

Sarcasm, or is there a known problem with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

iroc_dis posted:

Nah I live in SC. The friend that suggested it said that the dealership would deliver the bike to a parking lot just on the GA side to get around the TN sales tax. I'd end up either registering it in SC under my name or in VA under my dad's name.

If you are not a resident of the state you should never pay sales tax in that state.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

n8r posted:

If you are not a resident of the state you should never pay sales tax in that state.

You'll still pay sales tax when you register it...?

UserNotFound fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 21, 2009

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

UserNotFound posted:

You'll still pay sales tax when you register it...?

Wouldn't that be property tax?

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???

iroc_dis posted:

Wouldn't that be property tax?

Well, according to my BMV, it's called a sales tax, and you can be charged in other states, but you'll end up paying only the 7% Indiana rate in the end:

On April 1, 2008, Indiana adopted a seven percent sales tax. State law requires Indiana residents to pay a seven percent sales tax on any newly-purchased vehicle. If a vehicle is purchased from a dealership, the dealer will collect the sales tax. If a vehicle is sold privately, the sales tax must be paid at a license branch when the purchaser titles the vehicle.

Motorists who purchase a vehicle from an out-of-state dealer or individual will receive credit for taxes paid in that other state. If the motorist paid less than seven percent they will need to pay the difference to Indiana.

Some states will allow a person to purchase a vehicle and not pay taxes on it when taking it out of that state. Other states will tax the transaction. Depending on the percentage of tax paid to the other state, the Indiana resident may be charged or credited the difference between the other state's sales tax and Indiana's sales tax.

Oakey
Dec 29, 2000

I'm a stupid fucking cunt
7% drat. Now I understand why the dude I bought my bike from was offering to write down a lower price. IL private-party motorcycle sales are taxed at a flat rate of $25.

Fluffs McCloud
Dec 25, 2005
On an IHOP crusade
Going to look at an eighty one Suzuki GS450L for 550 dollars in a day or two, and the crappy pics the owner sent don't impart much other than his horrible taste in decals, and a torn seat, but I was wondering if there are any specific things on a bike like this I should look for.

Also, under the engine there appear to be a few drops of a green fluid, are there any normally green fluids in a bike, and if it is leaking a little of whatever, could it be a big problem?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Leaking a little of whatever is ok. No, there is no green fluid in the bike. It's only oil, and gasoline in the bike.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Nerobro posted:

Leaking a little of whatever is ok. No, there is no green fluid in the bike. It's only oil, and gasoline in the bike.

Break fluid can be green, and so can synthetic oil.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tsaven Nava posted:

Sarcasm, or is there a known problem with them?

Known problem. It's an issue with the oil channels IIRC, and they burn a lot of oil and need rebuilds at minimum. There are many people who have had 2, or even 3 new motors put in. Honda has fixed it in the 09s, but a lot of the 08s are hosed. I know a few people who have just kicked up a fuss to the head office and gotten new 09 bikes to replace their 08s.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
There's a type of oil used for long term storage thats a bright green. I forget its name now. My KZ650 was full of it when I got it. I have to say though that the magic green oil worked great. Really thick stuff and the inside of my KZ650 looked new despite sitting for 16 years.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Blaster of Justice posted:

Break fluid can be green, and so can synthetic oil.
Unless it was just put in, the oil isn't going to be green.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Known problem. It's an issue with the oil channels IIRC, and they burn a lot of oil and need rebuilds at minimum. There are many people who have had 2, or even 3 new motors put in. Honda has fixed it in the 09s, but a lot of the 08s are hosed. I know a few people who have just kicked up a fuss to the head office and gotten new 09 bikes to replace their 08s.

I'll have to ask my friend if he's having problems with his 08s and how widespread the issue is out here...do they know what actually causes the problem?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

I'll have to ask my friend if he's having problems with his 08s and how widespread the issue is out here...do they know what actually causes the problem?

Something to do with the oil pathways in the head I think. Honda was trying to claim that using 1L/1000km of oil was normal. Here's a story and some info from a guy on another forum whose 08 just went in for a rebuild.

Whitey posted:

As most of you know i bought an 08 Blade, about June i think, and it is the most fanatastic motorcycle i have ever ridden. It's light, it's powerful, it's easy to ride relatively fast and it burns oil.

I babied it for the first thousand, so saw no signs of oil usage. Got it serviced at 1000klms and gradually started to ride it faster and it gradually started to use oil. It was down a little and i thought, i just wasn't holding the oval office upright when i checked it. Went for a long fast ride and it had used nearly all the oil on the dip stick. Trailered it back to the shop at about 3000klms. They filled it up with Honda brand oil ("we may have put the wrong oil in it, but i'm sure we didn't") and told me to keep an eye on it and to get back to them. Now at 4250klms the oil is way down on the dipstick again, so i called them and they said they would ring Honda and get back to me.

gently caress.

I did a little research, which i should have done before i bought the oval office and found there is a pretty big number of blades using oil. Honda have been rebuilding them for some people, giving new bikes to others...

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=51105
(if you wade through the gazzion posts of bullshit, name calling and fuckwits in this thread there is gently caress load of bad engines in there) One dude got a whole new bike from Honda, the new one burns oil too and it's getting rebuilt..

http://baiazid-cbr1000rr.blogspot.com/

Basically do a search on any yank blade forum and there are heaps of them.

hosed if i know chaps. I'll just have to wait and see what Honda says i spose. But i'm not really keen on having a rebuilt motor after only 4k klms. I bought new so i didn't have to worry about this sort of poo poo. But it's under warranty so hopefully i should be sweet.

Looks like i'll be 4 wheeling it to the GP.

gently caress

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Something to do with the oil pathways in the head I think. Honda was trying to claim that using 1L/1000km of oil was normal. Here's a story and some info from a guy on another forum whose 08 just went in for a rebuild.

Huh, weird. I'm curious about his break in procedure.

Also I finally got it to send me an e-mail for registration...time to go find that B-King thread :D

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006
Hm, when I swung through the local Honda Powerhouse, the salesman didn't know anything about the 08/09 1000rr engine problem. Hes been selling them like hotcakes and haven't seen any come back.

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

iroc_dis posted:

Hm, when I swung through the local Honda Powerhouse, the salesman didn't know anything about the 08/09 1000rr engine problem. Hes been selling them like hotcakes and haven't seen any come back.

Why, I would have never believed a salesman would say that.

(Sorry I'm just jaded, I hate salesmen)

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

Why, I would have never believed a salesman would say that.

(Sorry I'm just jaded, I hate salesmen)

I know, I'm not usually big on salesmen either but I've known this guy for a several years now and he has always been cool with me.

edit// hrmm, 2007 ZX6r with 3k miles for $4900 :eek:

iroc_dis fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 23, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
1997 KLR 650 with just under 11k for $1900? Has some nice mods (front and rear crash bars, saddlebags, tall windshield) and the owner is a mechanic who's been using it as a commuter. Says the bike is cosmetically excellent, going to go look at it this weekend.

Would be my second bike, although #1 was just a 125cc 2-stroke I toured on for 7 weeks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

1997 KLR 650 with just under 11k for $1900? Has some nice mods (front and rear crash bars, saddlebags, tall windshield) and the owner is a mechanic who's been using it as a commuter. Says the bike is cosmetically excellent, going to go look at it this weekend.

Would be my second bike, although #1 was just a 125cc 2-stroke I toured on for 7 weeks.

Sounds like a decent deal. Ask him if the doohickey has been done.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 23, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Z3n posted:

Sounds like a decent deal. Ask him if the doohickey has been done.

Yep, made sure of that. Guy says Saturday or Sunday should be fine to come look at it, pretty excited. If everything looks good and nothing else goes wrong between then and now, might get it as soon as next weekend :toot:

Won't be able to ride it for a little while though, taking the MSF/getting a bike are supposed to be my motivation to finish this goddamn thesis and graduate. The effect will probably be more pronounced if I know it's physically sitting at home, waiting for me.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I found that a 650 was both easier and harder to ride then those Minsks.
Easier because the gears, clutch, everything actually works.
Harder because a 650 is a lot heavier and a lot more precise in its controls. On a Minsk you could get away with a lot of mismanaging of controls/steering/etc, but with a western bike you need to be a lot more attentive to details.

The basics however are still the same, so if you had 7 weeks on that thing through Asia, you will at least be pretty aware of what to do in regards to traffic and maneuvering.

macado
Jun 3, 2003

How to keep an idiot busy, Click here.
I am looking to buy my first bike. Just passed the MSF course last week.

I really like the Suzuki GS500s. I found a 1994 on craigslist's for 1700USD. It was in pretty much mint condition, but sat for about 2 years so it needed carb work and a new battery. The bike did however start right up once I jumped the battery. The Kelly Bluebook value is 1460, I offered him 1350 but he said no way. What would be a good price for this bike?

There is another 1997 GS500 on craigslist going for 1300 which I havent seen yet but the description says some cosmetic damage. Any thoughts? I am going to go look at that one maybe offer 1000-1200 depending on the condition.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Why is the new KLR650 carbureted? Is there is a reason for this I am unaware of?

Because it is single stroke?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

That guy with the 94 is smoking crack if he things that he'll get anywhere near blue book for it, especially now, unless it's immaculate.

I'd go with the 97 if you can get it for that cheap...1000$ is a good offer if there's relatively extensive damage, 1200$ is good if it's clean and only has minor damage.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Why is the new KLR650 carbureted? Is there is a reason for this I am unaware of?

It's cheap and they managed to get it to pass emissions?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Because it is single stroke?

It's single cylinder, four stroke motor. They stick with carburators on old engines because if you change the engine AT ALL you need to go through EPA certification again. EPA certification is a million dollar plus undertaking. Bike mfgs don't make a lot of money per bike... so you can imagine they're not willing to throw cubic dollars at certifying motors. That's why we never got the "new" ninja 250. And our new ninja 250 still has the same motor.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Cheesemaster200 posted:

I found that a 650 was both easier and harder to ride then those Minsks.
Easier because the gears, clutch, everything actually works.
Harder because a 650 is a lot heavier and a lot more precise in its controls. On a Minsk you could get away with a lot of mismanaging of controls/steering/etc, but with a western bike you need to be a lot more attentive to details.

The basics however are still the same, so if you had 7 weeks on that thing through Asia, you will at least be pretty aware of what to do in regards to traffic and maneuvering.

Mine was actually a pretty nice one as Minsks go; had been owned by a foreign lawyer who had it meticulously maintained at a good shop. Didn't mean it was perfect (especially after me beating on it for almost two months) but it wasn't as bad as other people's who I'd run into. The KLR is supposed to be relatively easy to maintain as dual-sports go but I don't think it'll be anywhere near as straightforward as the Minsk was :smith: I know basically poo poo all about wrenching (but would like to lean) so it'll be an educational experience if nothing else.

As far as riding I'm gonna do the best I can to forget everything I know, traffic here and traffic there are two totally different animals, and I've never ridden anything capable of more than 60mph (downhill and unladen).

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Nerobro posted:

It's single cylinder, four stroke motor. They stick with carburators on old engines because if you change the engine AT ALL you need to go through EPA certification again. EPA certification is a million dollar plus undertaking. Bike mfgs don't make a lot of money per bike... so you can imagine they're not willing to throw cubic dollars at certifying motors. That's why we never got the "new" ninja 250. And our new ninja 250 still has the same motor.

Err.. single cylinder, I meant that :)

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well I finished the MSF course. They put me on a fairly cool Suzuki dual sport (200cc or something) which although I could tell had been abused and was a little jerky in 1st gear was a pretty fun ride.

Now that I actually know how to ride a motorcycle I'm a lot more open to exploring different bikes than the ex250. I liked the look of the Hyosung comets.. Maybe something with some more power, as long as the acceleration is smoothish through 1st and 2nd gear.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

soy posted:

was a little jerky in 1st gear

Maybe something with some more power

These two statements do not mix pretty much because any jerkyness was poor throttle control with a low geared bike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

These two statements do not mix pretty much because any jerkyness was poor throttle control with a low geared bike.

Could also be a really loose chain, depending on how well the MSF bikes are maintained, it seems to be hit or miss.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Z3n posted:

Could also be a really loose chain, depending on how well the MSF bikes are maintained, it seems to be hit or miss.

I think it would have to be absolutely ground draggingly catastophically loose because the 82 XL250 I ride occasionally drops its chain off the sprocket constantly and doesn't jerk.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VTNewb posted:

It definitely felt less jerky once I was comfortable with the clutch and figured out the motions for the throttle, and the vibration/noise that smoothness gave off. Basically in first gear I figured out if I listen for the lawnmower noise, that is the most comfortable speed in 1st.

I kind of felt like there was a bit of a dead zone at the beginning of the throttle on first gear though... I'm not sure if it's the same with all bikes, but it really felt like the first 1/10th of the twist didn't do anything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

I think it would have to be absolutely ground draggingly catastophically loose because the 82 XL250 I ride occasionally drops its chain off the sprocket constantly and doesn't jerk.

Possibly. I just remember as a new rider being very concerned with chain slack because it had so much effect on how smoothly I could get on the gas. I do agree with you that throttle control is at the base of the problem though, because good throttle control will help a rider handle any of those situations.

I'd avoid the Hyosungs, personally. Their 250 is a sleeved 650, so it is heavy and really misses the point of a 250, which is to be light and maneuverable, and their build quality is absolute crap.

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
So after selling my scooter last year I feel as if it is time to buy a motorcycle. I'm looking for a cheap bike, and do not mind doing work on it. Tomorrow I am checking out this ninja http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1436980493.html because it is only 20 minutes away from my house. I also want to check out this ninja 250 http://newjersey.craigslist.org/mcy/1438324088.html according to the ad it has been sitting for a while and doesn't run. Ideally Id love to think the only issue would be a dead battery or something very easy to fix, but if that was the issue I'm sure the owner would have fixed it. How do these deals look?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Go for that 250. It's pretty cheap, and if it was running when parked, should just need the carbs cleaned and the old gas flushed out and you should be good to go.

Ethox
Dec 28, 2005
Thanks for the quick reply Z3n. Im awaiting a reply email, but I will update everyone when I hopefully go check it out tomorrow.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1436665616.html

How hard is it to fix a gas cap? $1k seems pretty good..

I want to get something to ride for the next 3-4 months until I am in a better place to afford something nice. Need practice riding...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/1436665616.html

How hard is it to fix a gas cap? $1k seems pretty good..

I want to get something to ride for the next 3-4 months until I am in a better place to afford something nice. Need practice riding...

I'd be very, very wary of that "deal". The gas cap should open no problem, and he's full of poo poo if he thinks it'll do 130...sounds like there could be bigger issues here than just the gas cap. I'd definitely go look at it, but I'd disconnect the petcock and fill the carbs directly to make sure the bike runs.

There's a lot of red flags going on here...