Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yatta_Butters
Apr 29, 2006

your ass or a hole in the ground
I just got my corgi!!! She is a black tri and her name is Zoey!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.
Aww congrats; I love her coloring :)

Korenwolf
Mar 14, 2007

Nap Ghost
Here is my little guy. I picked him up from a family who were getting rid of him and his companion to have more kids. They told me he didn't like going for a walk, which is pretty much code for 'never took dog out of house'. When I got him his paws were too soft to walk outside for prolonged periods of time. However he is doing great now. He likes snow quite a bit.

Click here for the full 1000x1261 image.

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

Yatta_Butters posted:

I just got my corgi!!! She is a black tri and her name is Zoey!

That is an adorable puppy. She looks like she's ready to run you ragged :)

Korenwolf posted:

Here is my little guy. I picked him up from a family who were getting rid of him and his companion to have more kids. They told me he didn't like going for a walk, which is pretty much code for 'never took dog out of house'. When I got him his paws were too soft to walk outside for prolonged periods of time. However he is doing great now. He likes snow quite a bit.

Click here for the full 1000x1261 image.

Haha what a happy dope. He looks like he can barely see but it doesn't even matter because SNOW RULES OMG.

Korenwolf
Mar 14, 2007

Nap Ghost
yeah he really really likes snow...

Click here for the full 1000x729 image.

Click here for the full 1000x750 image.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Korenwolf posted:

SUPER ACTION FUN SNOW CORGI!

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples
Halloween Pictures

I am stupid and forgot my camera, but other people had theirs.

We should definitely have a Seattle area Corgoon get together sometime.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Korenwolf posted:

That is one adorable dog :3:

elf pr0n
Oct 13, 2002

They fucking better have lemon cakes.

lu lu lu posted:

Halloween Pictures

Corgis in bananas? :swoon:

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
Do all corgis like to box with there paws. Becuase mine loves to slap me in the face with her paw to wake me up in the morning. Also whenever we start to play she also backs up a little gets on her hind legs and starts smackin away. ill try to get a picture but she doesnt like to stand like that for to long.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

We've (my girlfriend turned fiancee) been wanting to get a dog for a while now, but she wants a Pomeranian (feh!) or some sort of a hound (I think she had too much Disney as a kid) and I used to have a Husky, so I'm used to big dogs. Would a Corgi make for a great companionship dog for people who are starting a life together? Like, are they good with kids and stuff? I've seen a lot of pics here on the forums and they just seem like really friendly, really fun little best friends, and that's more or less exactly what I want right now.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Agent Nick posted:

We've (my girlfriend turned fiancee) been wanting to get a dog for a while now, but she wants a Pomeranian (feh!) or some sort of a hound (I think she had too much Disney as a kid) and I used to have a Husky, so I'm used to big dogs. Would a Corgi make for a great companionship dog for people who are starting a life together? Like, are they good with kids and stuff? I've seen a lot of pics here on the forums and they just seem like really friendly, really fun little best friends, and that's more or less exactly what I want right now.

What's your energy level like? Corgis are first and foremost herding dogs, which means they need plenty of outlet for their mental and physical energy. They are clever and active dogs. My main experience with one (a Pembroke) was with a 14 year old, half-blind Corgi, and his energy level was on par with my parents' 4 year old Golden Retriever. Without an outlet, they can become bored and therefore destructive.

Also, as a recently married 20-something, I have to advise against getting a dog at this stage in your life. Dogs are major investments of both money and time. I have seen so many people my age get dogs only to later realize just what kind of commitment they made. However, if you're dead set, be absolutely sure you have the time and the budget before getting attached to a pair of big puppy eyes.

That Awful Nick
Oct 7, 2008

"I've got the knowledge!"

My energy level is probably pretty good. I'm trying to stay fairly active (losing weight is hard when you're going it alone) and it would be fun to have a running buddy and/or someone to play with all the time (frisbee!).

Given the warning, I think I may go ahead and just stick to getting something like a lazy cat or whatever until we'd be ready for a dog. I'm not going to get a dog and then break its heart by being a lazy/busy rear end in a top hat. Maybe I can convince my new neighbor to get a dog and then just play with their dog all the time.

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

Agent Nick posted:

Corgis are definitely friendly, and want very much to "help" their humans, but herding dogs are generally not recommended for small children. They tend to try to "herd" kids, and can get nippy. That being said, our Cardigan's breeder has a toddler, and she seemed to do great in a household with multiple Corgis (including puppies). Any dog will need to be supervised with small children, and may need some training to set boundaries.

What are your and your fiancee's schedules like? Do you have time for a dog, especially a high energy herding dog? How about your living situation? Do you guys have a house? Corgis are generally not recommended for apartments as they tend to bark at strange noises and nearby activity. Our girl is pretty protective and can be loud. She sounds like a dog three times her size when she barks at noises in the yard, or someone coming to the door.

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

lu lu lu posted:

Halloween Pictures

Which one of these dogs are yours? I know a few people off of a different forum. Quidditch & Fiona to be exact.

I love the bunch of bananas though.

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples

xboobookittifkxx posted:

Which one of these dogs are yours? I know a few people off of a different forum. Quidditch & Fiona to be exact.

I love the bunch of bananas though.

Mine is the bee.

That little pineapple is really adorable :3:

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

I was thinking about the discussion of designer mutts and "hybrid vigor" when I saw this article:

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/11/05/news/mj1846079.txt

It's actually a pretty sad situation, but I wonder what you'd call the puppies... Pyrogis?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

anachrodragon posted:

I was thinking about the discussion of designer mutts and "hybrid vigor" when I saw this article:

It's actually a pretty sad situation, but I wonder what you'd call the puppies... Pyrogis?

Wow. Did you check out the comment section in that link? I'm surprised at the malice aimed at the woman who's bitch it was.

Edit: After doing some digging I found the breeder's website, and there is a page dedicated to the xPyr litter. Check it out here.

a life less fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 6, 2009

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
What kind of shampoo do you use for your corgis? My guy's fur isn't as fluffy as I'd like it to be - on his back, it's very flat and coarse. His rear end and neck, where the fur is white, are okay, but when you see a "show" corgi, their fur looks so soft.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

a life less posted:

Wow. Did you check out the comment section in that link? I'm surprised at the malice aimed at the woman who's bitch it was.

Edit: After doing some digging I found the breeder's website, and there is a page dedicated to the xPyr litter. Check it out here.

Welp, Jake and Smokey look loving awesome at least. The breeder got ROYALLY hosed in that mixup though, she had to spay the mother afterwards and everything =[

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

a life less posted:

Man, I hadn't looked at the comment section, but people are just vile.

I feel sorry for the breeder. She was trying to do the right thing and breed responsibly, and she and her dog got hosed over. I would absolutely sue for negligence as well. I'm glad she's got a page up for the xPyr dogs though. They turned out to be cute mutts, if a bit funny looking. ;)

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Korenwolf posted:

Aww...I bet he's all jazzed because his last owners barely did anything like this with him. Good to see an energetic little guy like this getting some fun from someone that won't keep him cooped up indoors all day :)

Miss Indy
Nov 3, 2002

anachrodragon posted:

Oh wow, that breeder's main line is the Perrymist line from England-- that's Bailey's father's line! It's a very excellent line indeed, if I do say so myself :)

Those poor Pyr-Corgis, corgi dwarfism stumpy legs are not meant to handle the bulky weight of a Pyr body. Those dogs are definitely going to have back issues later on in life.

EDIT- Actually, in looking at one of the dog's pedigrees, Bailey's dad IS the father! For Ch. Melyn Rhos Joelle Marouani, not the immediate parents but the next line up... Sire
Ch Perrymist Red Affair ROMX. Kickass!

Miss Indy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 7, 2009

White1ce
Jul 31, 2003
IT IS YOUR CIVIC DUTY AS AN SA FORUMS MEMBER TO RUIN ALL OF THE THREADS I POST. IF I EVER POST A THREAD, TROLL IT!!!
Snow time, got 2 feet in a day, he's never seen snow before...

Hey Seuss
Nov 25, 2005

How the Grinch pissed on christmas

White1ce posted:

First thing I thought of:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

White1ce posted:

WOAH WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo OH MAN THIS loving RULES YEAH ITS ALL COLD AND FLUFFY

I like narrating a dog's internal monologue in my head :3:

gogogiraffes
Dec 27, 2007

Danny is really excited about this hat..

Click here for the full 637x640 image.

But not this one...

Click here for the full 640x538 image.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Hello new avatar

bakahentai
Nov 3, 2003
kuso atama

lu lu lu
Jul 27, 2007
I've got some apples
^^^ What is his/her name? My dog doesn't really like water much; even with motivation she doesn't like it when it starts to hit her belly.

Also, somebody got herself a new collar

Click here for the full 2000x1500 image.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Does everyone else's corgi obsess over their collars? If we don't put Frank's on him first thing in the morning, he will run around the house until he finds it and then pick it up and bring it. We like to talk about how he's a vain dog and just wants to look extra handsome, so that's why he does it but it is hilarious.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

I'll be adopting a 2 year old tri PWC male on Sunday (if all goes well) from a very reputable rescue in Texas. They did a pretty extensive background check on me and even requested to come checkout my house. His online description has this to say:

"He is crate trained, leash trained, current on his shots and neutered. His family was moving and they had to find him a new home. He is good with children and cats. He is a happy and active pet."

I've asked about health issues (hip dysplasia, back problems, etc) and they told me he's been "checked out and has no known issues". I'm not sure if there is anything more I can do here other then ask for his lineage but they obviously don't have this as he's a rescue (I'm going to ask just in case).

All that aside I have a more specific question. I have a pretty active and all over the place lifestyle and my goal was to find a Corgi who would fit into my routine. I run/walk at least 3 - 4 times a week, I work in a very dog friendly office and want to be able to bring him to work with me, and I also get to work at home when I want. I'm back and forth between my house and my girlfriends apartment throughout the week as well and don't want to leave him overnight every single time. What I'm wondering is, will this constant moving around be good or bad for a Corgi with an active and energetic personality?

Oh and I wouldn't post without showing you all what he looks like!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Overture posted:

All that aside I have a more specific question. I have a pretty active and all over the place lifestyle and my goal was to find a Corgi who would fit into my routine. I run/walk at least 3 - 4 times a week, I work in a very dog friendly office and want to be able to bring him to work with me, and I also get to work at home when I want. I'm back and forth between my house and my girlfriends apartment throughout the week as well and don't want to leave him overnight every single time. What I'm wondering is, will this constant moving around be good or bad for a Corgi with an active and energetic personality?

He's a cutie. I hope everything goes well with the adoption.

As for activity level and visiting new places, it will really depend on the dog. I know Josie loves it when we take her with us places. She goes to work with my husband most days, and she's really excited when she can go with us to visit friends' houses.

I would just make sure you introduce all this new stuff in a positive manner. Carry treats with you, and praise the dog for good behavior. If he starts to get overwhelmed, make sure he's got a safe place (crate) where he can go.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

anachrodragon posted:

He's a cutie. I hope everything goes well with the adoption.

As for activity level and visiting new places, it will really depend on the dog. I know Josie loves it when we take her with us places. She goes to work with my husband most days, and she's really excited when she can go with us to visit friends' houses.

I would just make sure you introduce all this new stuff in a positive manner. Carry treats with you, and praise the dog for good behavior. If he starts to get overwhelmed, make sure he's got a safe place (crate) where he can go.

This is what I was hoping to hear =)

He'd have a crate / bed at both my place and my girlfriends and a bed under my desk at work, so I'm hoping he'll feel comfortable regardless of where we go. The family taking care of him at the moment have told me he's full of energy and loves to go places with them so I think this will be a good fit.

Thanks for the reply!

TC_
Mar 17, 2006

Party time!!
:toot:
Holy poo poo how have I not noticed this thread until now? Meet Sunny. She's an 8-year-old Pembroke Welsh Corgi:

She started out as my sister's dog several years ago, but she moved out to New Orleans to live with my girlfriend and I this past February. She has a classic Corgi napoleon complex, and my girlfriend and I kind of spoil her as you can see:

We put the towel down if Sunny gets to watch TV on the couch with us because she's a fluffy coat and her fur gets everywhere if we don't.

She generally doesn't last to the end of a show. Lastly, my current favorite picture of her:

Bathtime!

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

So I ended up adopting the aforementioned Corgi in this thread (he's 2 years old). He's absolutely awesome (obeys me, has never once messed up inside, loves adults and children, charms everyone to death, etc) with the exception to one pretty big item: He HATES other dogs and cats. The weirdest part is that when I went to adopt him he was living with another Corgi, a GREAT DANE, and a cat. They were all playing happily when I walked in. I've had him for almost 2 weeks now.

He displays the following type of behavior:

- If there are other dogs or a cat around he purposely walks around them and refuses to even acknowledge they are there, especially if he's already seen them once. You can literally see the scorn on his face, it's like they annoy him and he wants nothing to do with it.

- He often growls low when another dog or cat is around. Again, he'll often do this without looking at the other animal. He seems very annoyed when he does this (when the moment before he was wagging his tail and overall very happy).

- There have a been a few times now where another dog or cat has casually walked too close and he's barked / snapped at them. There was also one occasion where another dog ran at him (the other dog was really excited and obviously wanted to play) and he went a little nuts for a second, I had to calm him down. I understand the last one because the other dog was bigger and his master shouldn't have let him run at us, but I wanted to mention it regardless.

I've tried letting him meet other dogs on neutral territory with no results. I've made sure there was no food involved, and shown him that I was friendly with the other animal (in case he thinks he's protecting me or something). The reason I mention this is he is VERY attached to me. He's on my heels wherever I go (unless I leave him crated of course), and if I go to the restroom or outside for a moment he waits by the door until I get back.

My roommate has a 1 year old female pit/boxer mix (a very sweet dog, if a little energetic). He's actually gotten over any real fights or barking with her unless she gets right in his face out of excitement, but he definitely completely ignores her and purposely avoids interaction. He literally walks around the house like she doesn't exist, I would be pissed if I were her.

My girlfriend has the only cat I've seen him interact with thus far, which he seems to hate even more then other dogs.

My office is a very dog friendly office, meaning there are other dogs (mostly females) roaming around but they tend to stay away from him now that they know he's not a fan.

So, I'm extremely confused. When I first met him he loved playing with his brother (the other corgi), the GREAT DANE, and a cat. What gives? I really want my dog to like other animals =(

Oh and here is Wyo:

Graphics fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 4, 2009

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
I would think it'd take more than 2 weeks to break the habit of living a certain way for 2 years. Give it time. Cute corgi too!

My corgi is a little over a year old and we're still trying to train her not to try and play with every animal she sees. It's like a child walking by the toy aisles in target.

Eff Jay
Dec 6, 2008

Yeah, my Corg can be a little standoffish around dogs (especially younger, more intense dogs) and just wants them to calm down. Corgis want to play but they want it on their terms, which can definitely be hard when puppies are involved!

Frank also took some time getting used to cats and still has some little teeth clicking and sharp "Get-the-gently caress-out" barks with our cat. Just remember - you're guys been through a lot lately and it's going to take some time for him to adjust and let his guard down. These little guys can be so stubborn that it's going to take him longer to adjust than you realize!

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Corgis can be a bit obsessive about wanting everything to be well controlled and in its place. Right now your new guy is probably thinking that things are very much out of place, and he's still getting used to his new environment.

It's great that he's so attached to you though. I would just keep exposing him gradually to new animals, always praising/treating him for good behavior. Hopefully he should get the idea that you're happy when he's interacting well with others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

All great advice and very reassuring. I've always heard that Corgis can be very particular about things in general (Wyo definitely is about his hygiene, where he sleeps, etc) and it makes sense he would be the same about new animals. I'm being very careful about when he's exposed to them, so it's definitely not over the top or a constant thing. I'll simply give him some more time and work on rewarding him when he does behave well around other dogs and cats.

• Locked thread