Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Hey I just got around to ordering side striker plates for my hard top. Anyone able to link me an walkthrough of the procedure, or is it pretty simple? It's an original 90/91 top on a 95 car, if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

The Third Man posted:

Hey I just got around to ordering side striker plates for my hard top. Anyone able to link me an walkthrough of the procedure, or is it pretty simple? It's an original 90/91 top on a 95 car, if it matters.

Google leads me to this: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=37140

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Blaise posted:

Really? Something which will allow me to draw 200w?
I just run mine off the stock harness. I know I'm losing some light output but honestly I don't miss it. Just praying my wires don't melt :madmax:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

The Third Man posted:

When I put my hardtop on my 94, I took a dremel and basically eyeballed it.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Hog Obituary posted:

Google leads me to this: http://mx5cartalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=37140

welp that'll teach me to needlessly complicate my searches. Thanks.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

:cool: I felt cool today for the first time in my miata :cool:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If I wasn't clear the first time; h8 u!~~~~~~

Serious time: 37mm Koyo Aluminum Radiator. Does anybody have praise for this piece of cooling equipment? I'll post a picture of my poo poo brown radiator tomorrow when I grab my camera.

bladernr
Oct 3, 2006
I'm not wearing any pants. Film at 11!

Blaise posted:

:cool: I felt cool today for the first time in my miata :cool:

Click here for the full 1024x252 image.

They're always better in groups ;)

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Phone posted:

If I wasn't clear the first time; h8 u!~~~~~~

Serious time: 37mm Koyo Aluminum Radiator. Does anybody have praise for this piece of cooling equipment? I'll post a picture of my poo poo brown radiator tomorrow when I grab my camera.

I hear a lot of praise for the CX Racing one on ebay as well as the Godspeed. I don't doubt that the Koyo is of better quality, I've never heard a bad thing said about them either. I'll probably go with the brokedick version though. :china:

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
I've got the Godspeed one and uh, I guess it's better than stock. It fits fine and does what it's supposed to.
I got it cheap from this thread: http://www.miataturbo.net/forum/t13882/
$170 shipped

quote:

Call and ask for CG: 626-442-3988 Mon-Fri. 9-6 PST

Prices are as follows:
10-$170 shipped ea. X
15-$165 shipped ea. X
20-$160 shipped ea. X we hit 20, lets get a few more for safety (to Canada its $190 shipped as a gift)

prices are for Continental US • outside US more

start a list here and ill send him the list once we got enough people to start taking orders...who's in?

fit: '90 - '97..........they have not tested it on the NB, i will do so once i get mine, ill test it on my friends NB, sorry for the confusion
All aluminum
That post is from 2007, but it looks like they're still honoring those prices (as of this May at least, judging by the last post in that thread)

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Is there any way to pull the CEL code from an NB (1999) without a scantool? I may just take it to autozone, but if I can pull/discern the code without the drive, that'd be preferable.

Google has no answers, but I might be using the wrong terms.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Nope, it's OBDII - you need a scantool.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
OK now this is just ridiculous.

What the hell, boeing philadelphia. Miata obsessed much?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Blaise posted:

-_- -_-

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Pulled two codes, a misfire and some excessive gas warning that the mechanic basically said was because I went to non-selfpump gas (they left the cap loose and I drove off). Nothing to worry about, he said; probably wet weather, might want new wires/plugs (though I replaced mine ~10k ago, so I'll wait and see).

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

Blaise posted:

Imagine my expression when I pulled into the braums parking lot(lolfatgoonisfat) and saw another 95M in the same goofy purple, only it had all 4 center caps and a hard top. I still refer to it as my car's evil twin.

Bonus! My fourth center cap showed up today. I wasn't here for it, but I have the day off tomorrow so I intend to put all 4 on and drive around a lot. I guess I'll take a picture, too. :3:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Aren't the yellow Miata's especially succeptible to the Mazda curse? Or am I thinking of another car/forum.

My friend with a ~500whp supra is looking at a miata tonight in philly for $1500 for his DD. I'm jealous :( He's probably going to get it unless it's a complete pile. Hopefully he'll get it and fix it up and then I'll buy it from him in a year or two :)

fake edit: poo poo, nevermind, it was a curse on yellow CRXs.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

Aren't the yellow Miata's especially succeptible to the Mazda curse? Or am I thinking of another car/forum.

My friend with a ~500whp supra is looking at a miata tonight in philly for $1500 for his DD. I'm jealous :( He's probably going to get it unless it's a complete pile. Hopefully he'll get it and fix it up and then I'll buy it from him in a year or two :)

fake edit: poo poo, nevermind, it was a curse on yellow CRXs.

Philly? 500whp supra? Who is this guy? lol I need to meet more local people

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Blaise posted:

Philly? 500whp supra? Who is this guy? lol I need to meet more local people

Well he's not in Philly actually, he's just driving down there for the car. I'm in Williamsport, he's in Selinsgrove.

Derail:
He's a pretty cool guy, used to be my brother in law, haha. He's a big car nut, and has a HUGE garage with a lift. Loves to work on cars, no matter what.

The cool thing about the supra is that he did ALL the work on it. He bought it as an NA (5spd) car. First, he put a body kit on it and did all the molding and painting himself. I'm not a huge fan of body kits but since he did everything I definitely respect that. Then he rebuilt the engine and did a single turbo on it. He took it to the dyno and it put down 424rwhp, but still had a way to go (the ignition was cutting out at 5k).

Since then he's done more tuning and got the ignition taken care of and I think he's running a little more boost. I dunno, it's hard to keep up. He could run more boost but what's limiting him now is the transmission. He said the turbo is good for around 600whp, the tranny just can't take it. Recently he's built front and rear aluminum air diffusers for it, and some home-brew brake venting since he did a few track days with it.

He hasn't updated this site in forever, but it gives you an idea, there is also a dyno video on there.
http://www.jdm-motor-sports.com/supra-gallery.shtml

In any event, I hope he gets the miata because he takes great care of his cars, and then I can buy it from him :allears:

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

You'd be distressed too if some pile of bones just told you your favorite hat was stupid.

My miata was sad with no center caps. :smith:

But hooray! today I got a parcel.

But I may need to get my wheels refinished, now.. Can you tell which one is the new cap?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nice tires.

<--- running ZE912s on daisies at the moment

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Unless the pinstripes are clearcoated over you should have them removed. I had them too and I finally decided get them taken off, and it made a huge difference (especially with a complete set of center caps). Don't worry about ghost stripes unless your paint is really faded.

Compare

With

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

Phone posted:

Nice tires.

<--- running ZE912s on daisies at the moment

I really like my tires. They didn't break the bank and they drive better than any other tire I've ever had. Bear in mind that they're also the only set of tires I've actually purchased for a car. I hope you're not talking about the moment in your avatar. :3:

I don't suppose you have those pictures in huge-o-vision? My first reaction was "drat." I don't think my paint is faded too bad, except my mirrors need to be sanded and re-cleared, and the plastic bit between my tail-lights needs the same treatment.

I've given consideration to debadging the rear, and that plus removing the stripes might make for a very clean look. I might just debadge the rear in preparation for repainting it and see how I feel about the whole idea.

Tactical Bonnet fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 7, 2009

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The pinstripes on these cars are terrible. I'm so glad I removed mine.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of removing the stripes. but I'm far from confident in my ability to remove them myself, and have no idea where to even start to look for someone/where to get it done.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I went to town with some acetone. But a 94 with no clearcoat and 15 years of pinstripes being baked into the soul of the car, you can still see the outline at like 4-5 feet.

Tactical Bonnet
Nov 5, 2005

That's the other thing I'm worried about. It is a 95, after all. Maybe I'll just leave them until some time down the line when it needs a whole repaint. Right now I'm going to enjoy my awesome little car and not risk anything that would make it less awesome.

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma
So I got pulled over for not displaying the correct kind of front number plate, I had gotten away with it for 3 years but a traffic cop busted me about a week ago

This is what it looked like

And this is what im going to have to go for.

The previous owner got rid of the bracket and holes for the proper front plate placement, so anyone got any ideas on how I can have a fully legal front plate be it 1 line or a square 2 lined plates one the the imports/motorbikes have?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Are those legit TE37s? Nice wheels man.

Slothophile
Jun 23, 2004

Slothophile same as Santa Claus but one small difference: he stop at nothing to kill you.
Pretty sure the second option still isn't legal, sloping down like that a GATSO probably can't see it.

You can buy the brackets, but generally it's a bit of a fucker to get them out without taking off the whole front bumper. Some mad woman knocked mine off a while ago, luckily she paid to replace it.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!
Anyone have any tips for removing what looks like road sealant from my cars paint? I just noticed some of it kicked up onto the areas behind my wheels the other day. I assume it happened when they slurried the roads here. Right now, it doesnt look like it will come off easily. Think a body shop could do something about it?

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
Did you try anything labeled "bug and tar remover"?

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma

A5H posted:

Are those legit TE37s? Nice wheels man.

Yes, and thanks, I don't have the stickers on them any more.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Did you attend a mazda on track day recently by the way wild58?

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Hog Obituary posted:

Did you try anything labeled "bug and tar remover"?

Yes, and it did absolutely nothing. This stuff isnt really tarry, its hard and rocky.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Apr 23, 2005
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Blaise posted:

:)

GoblinBomb
Sep 19, 2004
Shit happens when you party naked.

destructo posted:

Your pictures always make me so happy.

Hey hey hey NC guys is are the Ohlins coilovers that Goodwin sells as good as he says? They are on sale! (a little bit)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have the factory Bilsteins, anything is better than those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Schwack posted:

Yes, and it did absolutely nothing. This stuff isnt really tarry, its hard and rocky.

My next door neighbor took one look at my tarspots and said WD40 would do the trick; oddly, miata.net recommends the same thing. Haven't tried it yet though, so it might be an old wives' tale.