Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Shlomo Palestein posted:

My next door neighbor took one look at my tarspots and said WD40 would do the trick; oddly, miata.net recommends the same thing. Haven't tried it yet though, so it might be an old wives' tale.
I don't see why not, it's half hydrocarbon solvents anyway. Worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
My local club asked me to do the year end video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_2UOj2OsPs

I'm in there a few times too.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Shlomo Palestein posted:

My next door neighbor took one look at my tarspots and said WD40 would do the trick; oddly, miata.net recommends the same thing. Haven't tried it yet though, so it might be an old wives' tale.

I'll give it a shot after this rain lets up. Just finished up the timing belt/water pump yesterday. Made me remember why I jumped from an MR2 to a Miata. I was only on my back for 20 minutes tops for that whole job.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Schwack posted:

I'll give it a shot after this rain lets up. Just finished up the timing belt/water pump yesterday. Made me remember why I jumped from an MR2 to a Miata. I was only on my back for 20 minutes tops for that whole job.

What were you on your back for - jacking it up, or the swaybar? I managed to do mine completely from up top thanks to ramps and a socket / breaker combo set that can clear the NB's swaybar and get the crank bolt out.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ziploc posted:

My local club asked me to do the year end video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_2UOj2OsPs

I'm in there a few times too.

Are you the goofy guy with the glasses in the HJC helmet?

Willie D
Dec 29, 2006

by Ozma

A5H posted:

Did you attend a mazda on track day recently by the way wild58?

Nope, I have been to Donnington a few times (I like the large run off there as im not a fantastic driver on track). Why, have you been?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

willd58 posted:

Nope, I have been to Donnington a few times (I like the large run off there as im not a fantastic driver on track). Why, have you been?

Yeah I attended, I thought I may have met you because there was a dude there on white TE37s with a supercharger and I noticed you'd been talking earlier in the thread about the same thing. I didn't think there would be many black mx5s in the UK on white TE37s was all :)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

Are you the goofy guy with the glasses in the HJC helmet?

You mean the gray M2R helmet? Yea that was me. Car #102. I didn't know I did anything in that vid to make me look goofy though.

I hope you liked the ending. I attempted to end with a bang.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

IOwnCalculus posted:

What were you on your back for - jacking it up, or the swaybar? I managed to do mine completely from up top thanks to ramps and a socket / breaker combo set that can clear the NB's swaybar and get the crank bolt out.

Just the swaybar, and two of the radiator fan bolts which I didnt actually need to take off. The swaybar had to come off so we could get an impact gun on the crank pulley bolt.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Oh, yeah, no way you'll get an impact on it without pulling the swaybar. I'll stick with the Harbor Freight 3/8" drive breaker + Craftsman 21mm 3/8" socket, it's the only combo I could find that would clear.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh, yeah, no way you'll get an impact on it without pulling the swaybar. I'll stick with the Harbor Freight 3/8" drive breaker + Craftsman 21mm 3/8" socket, it's the only combo I could find that would clear.

Yeah I railed on that motherfucker with a breaker bar and a 4 foot piece of pipe and it wouldnt budge. One cheap harbor Freight Impact Gun and 5 minutes later had that thing off and movin on. Our biggest problem was that we didnt mark the old belt up and had to reset the cam gears from zero. Seems nobody has any detailed instructions for doing that, but nailed it on the first try.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That part actually wasn't bad. I tried to do the whole use two crescent wrenches and a clamp to hold the cams in place but I lost my position at one point; the cam gears are marked well enough that it really isn't an issue, as long as you know which marks should line up where.

The only thing that really caught me out was the fact that the crank trigger disc is dished ever so slightly, and will fit backwards - which will make the crank sensor not work, and thus no spark.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

That part actually wasn't bad. I tried to do the whole use two crescent wrenches and a clamp to hold the cams in place but I lost my position at one point; the cam gears are marked well enough that it really isn't an issue, as long as you know which marks should line up where.

The only thing that really caught me out was the fact that the crank trigger disc is dished ever so slightly, and will fit backwards - which will make the crank sensor not work, and thus no spark.

Yeah, we just agonized over it for a bit because we weren't 100% sure of how the cam gears were supposed to go back onto the cams, since it gives you three different options. Ended up just going with the way that made the most sense and turning the engine over more than the usual 2 times to make sure nothing bound up and everything worked out for the best.

Also, any reason why people pull the crank pulley off using the four 12mm(10?) instead of just busting off the 21mm bolt and pulling the pulley and timing belt retaining disc all at once?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
drat these cars for looking fast. I just got a ticket for 60 in a 35 by some rear end in a top hat cop. The funny thing is, I'd just turned on the road and had only traveled a block when he pulled me over. I tried explaining that it is physically impossible for me to accelerate that fast (on a cold engine no less) but he was having none of it.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

revmoo posted:

drat these cars for looking fast. I just got a ticket for 60 in a 35 by some rear end in a top hat cop. The funny thing is, I'd just turned on the road and had only traveled a block when he pulled me over. I tried explaining that it is physically impossible for me to accelerate that fast (on a cold engine no less) but he was having none of it.

contest that poo poo immediately, the gently caress did he do, eyeball your speed and write you a ticket for 25 over?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It was all kinds of hosed up, he didn't know the speed limit of the zone we were in, didn't have his math right on the ticket.

I'm waiting on a call back from his Sergeant and I've already sent the ticket over to my lawyer. I have no doubt my lawyer will get it thrown out (he used to be a judge in this town for about half a century). The problem is just that I now have to waste hundreds of dollars and my time for something I didn't even do! It's pretty clear that his radar unit was malfunctioning, that or he just felt like being a dick. No way to tell really.

Really frustrating, as I wasn't out hot-rodding the thing, just trying to get my girl to school and me to work. It would be different if I was out in the country tearing rear end around the hills.

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

Some guy, a mechanic, just came by my office to ask if I want to sell my Miata. I WAS thinking about selling in the next year or two.

93 Miata, black/tan, ~130K mi, runs great, everything stock
08723 area code (NJ)
Was totalled late 2007, but wasn't required to go get a salvage title - does this mean it's clear?
Needs new ragtop, tires, clearcoat, alignment
Clutch just done this summer
Hardtop in good condition

KBB is telling me $2200 for fair condition and won't estimate poor condition, Edmunds says $800 for rough cond but allotted me only $47 for the hardtop (lol).

Am I crazy to think I can get $1800 out of this guy? I would take less but I have nothing saved to help get myself into a new daily driver.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

lionskull posted:

Some guy, a mechanic, just came by my office to ask if I want to sell my Miata. I WAS thinking about selling in the next year or two.

93 Miata, black/tan, ~130K mi, runs great, everything stock
08723 area code (NJ)
Was totalled late 2007, but wasn't required to go get a salvage title - does this mean it's clear?
Needs new ragtop, tires, clearcoat, alignment
Clutch just done this summer
Hardtop in good condition

KBB is telling me $2200 for fair condition and won't estimate poor condition, Edmunds says $800 for rough cond but allotted me only $47 for the hardtop (lol).

Am I crazy to think I can get $1800 out of this guy? I would take less but I have nothing saved to help get myself into a new daily driver.

The hard top alone is worth 800 or so. In my area at least, that car would go for 3500 at least. Don't base a miata's value off KBB, look at some classified for some of them in your area to get a realistic idea.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
I have always been under the impression that if you are not planning to sell a car, but someone ad-hoc inquires if you will sell it, then you can justify asking more than fair value for it.

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

DreamOn13, thank you. Do you mind disclosing where you live? I'm wondering if you live in a warmer locale. Here we have almost 6 months of Miata-unfriendly weather. It's why I'm seriously considering this offer, as the Miata is my daily and I'm a bit sick driving like granma and still being somewhat unsafe.

pp, thanks, that makes me feel better. Autotrader definitely has some higher numbers on similar cars. I assume they were never deemed totaled as mine has been, though.

I'll have to decide now if I want to call and ask for $3K or make him verbalize the first number at this point.

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
Tell him $4000 and its his, otherwise its not for sale.

If he takes it, then awesome, you got a good wad of cash. If he doesn't take it, you still have your miata.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

lionskull posted:

DreamOn13, thank you. Do you mind disclosing where you live? I'm wondering if you live in a warmer locale. Here we have almost 6 months of Miata-unfriendly weather. It's why I'm seriously considering this offer, as the Miata is my daily and I'm a bit sick driving like granma and still being somewhat unsafe.

I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio. Not the best weather or the worst. If you're worried about snow driving, another set of steel wheels and some winter tires would fix that problem. Altogether it would set you back less than $500 (snow tires in miata size are cheap as hell) and you'd be much safer.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001
I popped a pinhole leak on the heater return line for my '91. I am planing on just buying the entire hose replacement kit from Rosenthal Mazda, but I wanted to see how likely it was that the others would start to develop issues. I do not want to spend the money if it is an unusual occurrence.

VVV Right, but my question is if it is worth it to replace the other hoses too.

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 13, 2009

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
The heater hose at the back of the head is notorious for failing because it gets oil leaked on it from the CAS (leaky o-ring)

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Tai-Pan posted:

I popped a pinhole leak on the heater return line for my '91. I am planing on just buying the entire hose replacement kit from Rosenthal Mazda, but I wanted to see how likely it was that the others would start to develop issues. I do not want to spend the money if it is an unusual occurrence.

VVV Right, but my question is if it is worth it to replace the other hoses too.

One of my heater hoses blew a few months back (thanks to a leaking CAS seal) and I decided to replace both. You may save a little cash by only replacing the faulty one, but I think it is definitely worth it replace both especially if they are originals. Unexpectantly blowing a coolant line in the middle of nowhere is very bad and is not something I would want to risk just to save $15, luckily it happened to me when I was pulling in my driveway. Leaking coolant in that area can also contaminate the clutch disc, there's another reason to do both.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 14, 2009

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I like my Miatas with a tiny waist, and big rear end.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Get rid of the retarded hood that would look better (not good, mind you) on a C3 Corvette and you have yourself a nice bodykit.

Kiyanis
Sep 25, 2007

BBQ Now.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Get rid of the retarded hood that would look better (not good, mind you) on a C3 Corvette and you have yourself a nice bodykit.

Am I alone in liking powerdome hoods? :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KelvereseAysen posted:

Am I alone in liking powerdome hoods? :(

They work on very few cars. The Miata is not one of them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

IOwnCalculus posted:

They work on very few cars. The Miata is not one of them.

The stock minor bulge on the hood isn't a powerdome? Also, according to my Miata book, the M2 1006 had a 3.0L V6 in it, so they probably needed that dome.

iscariot
Oct 7, 2001

And so it begins. Too tired to post a project thread right now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You are such a loving tease.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Nice airplane you got there.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
What up Harbor Freight jacks buddy :madmax:

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Goddammit post a project thread

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

destructo posted:

What up Harbor Freight jacks buddy :madmax:

I've got 'em too, and the build quality is so poor; there's a gob of weld on mine keeping the actual jack from getting further into the pyramid. I'm sure they'll hold the car up fine (if I file down that weld so the pyramid is usable), but geez.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I just picked up my 99 white Miata last night and it's awesome so far. It's stock except for a Hard Dog roll bar. Cosmetically it's really good, but does need some work to bring it up to par. Alignment, tires, oil change, new coolant, brake/clutch bleed, clean/lube power windows.

The timing belt is original and though the guy said in California the timing belt interval is 105k miles, I'll be changing it soon. Is it true that it's 105k miles?

After that I'll be upgrading it and would like some help.. First things will be suspension, new wheels/tires, exhaust and intake.

Suspension:
What is a decent suspension setup for < $1000? I usually go with some decent lowering springs and a set of Bilstein Sports or something but there are so many options for this car I'd like to know what to look at. Even cheap coilovers would be fine for my purposes I think.
How good are the stock swaybars?

Wheels:
I'm looking at these Enkeis:
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/21-1049.html
Is there anything in a similar size that cheaper and just as light?

Exhaust/Intake:
I found these exhausts on Ebay that look like a good deal. Anyone heard of their build quality? I'm aware that it will not be great, but I have access to a welder and grinder and everything to make it fit right if needed.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Volt...sQ5fAccessories

Whats a decent intake?
What's a decent cheap header? I'm looking to lose the pre-cat.

Thanks--sorry about the noob questions :)

aventari fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 17, 2009

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
Suspension: Call Shakih @ Fat Cat Motorsports, this is your best bet for your budget par none.

Wheels: Enkeis look nice. 949 Racing 6UL's are wider and cheaper. A ridiculous amount of people run them (me included), top notch wheels.
http://949racing.com/15x8wheels-clickhere.aspx

Intake: The Randall cowl intake is the only one that makes decent power, but seriously there's no point unless you just want some intake sound. Just pick up an AEM dryflow and call it a day otherwise. If you actually want power spend $1.8k and get a cheap turbo kit from BEGI.

Exhaust: That looks like typical ebay garbage but who knows how it actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

aventari posted:

Wheels:
I'm looking at these Enkeis:
http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/21-1049.html
Is there anything in a similar size that cheaper and just as light?
I have 17" RP-F1s on my car. There are better looking wheels out there, but it's hard to find lighter ones.